• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So from what i've been told, Yoshi is somehow easily gimpable?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Okay so I play Wii Fit Trainer, and I find it IMPOSSSIBLE to gimp this stupid egg throwing dinosuar....eggs are just too damn good and f air is too fast, down air and f air have no recovery time when you land on the ground after using them....and when I told people about my problems with yoshi as a wft mainer, they said oh you can gimp him....what? I...I dont get it, his second jump has super armor to specfiically STOP that.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
They were just trying to sound cool. This happens in almost ANY case where a player thinks they can just give one tip and suddenly anyone can beat a character.

In other words, no, Yoshi is not easily gimp'd. Eggs protect, double jump has armor, etc.

If you want actual tips against yoshi, well, I'll say that Yoshi's struggle in creating situations where a grounded player who's dishing out projectiles is at a disadvantage. It tends to come down to 50/50s in that situation, because Yoshi can't DA or Grab. Running in with Shield is slow, which leaves you with aerials and neutral B. This brings a 50/50 of:

Is your opponent going to shield your aerial?
Are they going to counter the tongue grab?

Which can be frustrating for some players. With WFT, try charging SS at any point (neutral B) to load up on pressure. This will make Yoshi not want to approach with a Neutral B, which you can then resort to playing highly defensively until they crack.

Dealing with FAir is a weird one, because it does have a somewhat specific hitbox. Basically, if a Yoshi is camping with FAirs, NAirs, and DAirs, don't approach. Try baiting eggs, then get in their face. It'll force them to switch up styles really quickly.

Just random tips and stuff, won't work on all Yoshi players, however, it's mainly a list of things that can get into my head when playing.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Is a Footstool still a viable option against Yoshi's jump like it was in Brawl? I used to get that on some unwary foes to much of their chagrin. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, but it could be a thing to look for if it arises.

Judo777

Smash Master
Is a Footstool still a viable option against Yoshi's jump like it was in Brawl? I used to get that on some unwary foes to much of their chagrin. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, but it could be a thing to look for if it arises.
You can but its way harder now. Because he doesn't dip down then slowly rise like he did in brawl. If you are going to gimp yoshi you need to mixup footstooling him. His only way to avoid getting footstooled is to do an aerial or an airdodge. Airdodges are obviously very punishable, and doing an aerial forfeits his super armor. So you need to learn to mix those 2 options up, doing a aerial and going for a footstool.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Yoshi is one of the hardest character's to gimp. You've been lied to. /thread

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
He's not THAT hard to gimp... let's be real.

His jump armor isn't invincible, and anything that hits him out of it is basically a death sentence. I get gimped once in a while, and it's excruciating, because you feel totally powerless against it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yoshi still has plenty of flexibility in his recovery though. High air speed, a stall, and a good double jump all mean he's really hard to gimp, as long as you don't get sent below the ledge for some reason.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Any gimps that happens to Yoshi is basically a mistake on his part. Either challenging a move we think he'd be able to DJ through, though to be fair we are able to do that on a normal basis as long as we're under 80% for most moves. Or just allowing them to get close enough to us to get a footstool off.

Otherwise them trying the latter is harder for them cause of our new DJ not dipping down anymore so it'll take time for most players to adjust to the swiftness, but we can still also risk getting gimped/hit by them and cancel it out by tossing out any aerial.

Arbitation

Smash Rookie
Yeah I agree with Slush. Whenever I get 'gimped' I feel like it's just me gimping myself. Most common for me is forgetting that my eggs don't reset after a ledge release. Sakurai pls.

Oh, and the dreaded egg roll of the edge. All Yoshi mains know this pain, I'm sure.

As far as actually gimping a Yoshi goes I've seen some pretty impressive egg spot dodges in to jabs/dtilts/anything low stop a Yoshi from recovery. Corner cases, though, not reliable.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Don't think Eggroll should be much of a gimp to ourselves anymore unless we're somehow using it on accident while under the stage then nvm.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hard to gimp consciously but it feels like a lot of dumb stuff can happen to him, usually on the fault of the player.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Well, it's a lot harder to save our jump than it used to be, because recovering with eggs isn't much of an option.

If we SH egg toss off-stage, and we do that quite a lot, then we only have 1 jump and no up-B. Any move that can get around an egg toss and beats our super-armor is a kill move at that point.

For that matter, even if we save our egg-toss, it happens sometimes that aggressive players will dive in and eat the egg within hit-range. That's actually problematic for us, because we have to jump through them still.

One of Yoshi's biggest buffs was that we can't be ledge-hogged, in my opinion.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
At the very least, I think we should be making it to the ground every time. Not much can stop our air speed,coupled with an air dodge, from at least touching down.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I think some of you guys should re-visit the new DJAD. Considering that the jump is that much faster, any character that's coming out won't be able to do much about that option.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I think some of you guys should re-visit the new DJAD. Considering that the jump is that much faster, any character that's coming out won't be able to do much about that option.
What is this and where can I find more information on it?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I"m pretty sure DJAD is Double Jump Airdodge. Since our DJ doesn't dip anymore and we shoot up like a jet when Double jumping now, it's probably a much faster and safer option for Yoshi to use.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
In other words, no, Yoshi is not easily gimp'd. Eggs protect, double jump has armor, etc.
Y-you're lying about that double jump part, right? There's no goddamn way there would actually be a character programmed to have armor on one of its most basic and common abilities, right?

I mean, even in some of the most broken fighters out there, (Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 comes to mind) none to my recollection have characters who have armor during a double jump,

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
Yoshi has had Double Jump armor since 64. It's to compensate for no actual UpB recovery.
Damn, really? It's been so long since I played a different Smash game since Smash 4 came out, I must've jogged my memory.

I gotta ask though, has he always had armor in his d-air and b-air? (I could be completely wrong about b-air, but I'm certain he has armor on his d-air in this game.)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't think he has armor on any of those moves. You might be getting hit in situations where the Yoshi is tanking a hit with the DJ, THEN initiating the aerial to hit you...

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Y-you're lying about that double jump part, right? There's no goddamn way there would actually be a character programmed to have armor on one of its most basic and common abilities, right?

I mean, even in some of the most broken fighters out there, (Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 comes to mind) none to my recollection have characters who have armor during a double jump,
Double jump has superarmor. Cannot be flinched or knocked back only damaged.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ GoldWindRequiem GoldWindRequiem

Double jump has superarmor. Cannot be flinched or knocked back only damaged.
This is incorrect. Yoshi's Double Jump has something usually referred to as heavy armor.

Heavy Armor
is knockback resistance. The requirements for beating it out vary based on the source. Snake's Up-B in Brawl, for example, only required that an attack do 7% or more to knock him out of it. Otherwise he would just keep going. Yoshi's jump armor is, I believe, knockback dependent, in that a move with enough knockback will knock him out, regardless of the damage done by the move itself.

Super Armor is knockback immunity. A character in Super Armor can only be "flinched" by grabbing (or maybe put to sleep/stunned through Sing/Items?).

Both forms of armor lose to grab. Both forms of armor do not grant invulnerability from damage.

Airborne Edit: Also, empty jumping (jumping without doing an action) loses to footstool. But doing any action causes a loss in armor. So there's definitely some important interactions to be aware of.

Last edited:

Airborne

Smash Lord
@ GoldWindRequiem GoldWindRequiem

This is incorrect. Yoshi's Double Jump has something usually referred to as heavy armor.

Heavy Armor
is knockback resistance. The requirements for beating it out vary based on the source. Snake's Up-B in Brawl, for example, only required that an attack do 7% or more to knock him out of it. Otherwise he would just keep going. Yoshi's jump armor is, I believe, knockback dependent, in that a move with enough knockback will knock him out, regardless of the damage done by the move itself.

Super Armor is knockback immunity. A character in Super Armor can only be "flinched" by grabbing (or maybe put to sleep/stunned through Sing/Items?).

Both forms of armor lose to grab. Both forms of armor do not grant invulnerability from damage.
^This. Keep in mind that footstool beats empty double jumps (especially Yoshi's). Also, Yoshi loses all heavy armor attached to his double jump if he performs an action during the double jump animation (i.e. attack, special, air dodge, foot stool).

Edge guarding will become more common in this game when people become more prone to exploiting the newer mechanics like ledge trumping, as well as returning mechanics like footstool. Footstooling is far more significant in this game compared to Brawl since several characters have to rely on their double jump even more for recovery (i.e. Luigi and Diddy Kong).

Edit: And then I realize AJ has already been in here. -_-;

Last edited:

Judo777

Smash Master
^This. Keep in mind that footstool beats empty double jumps (especially Yoshi's). Also, Yoshi loses all heavy armor attached to his double jump if he performs an action during the double jump animation (i.e. attack, special, air dodge, foot stool).

Edge guarding will become more common in this game when people become more prone to exploiting the newer mechanics like ledge trumping, as well as returning mechanics like footstool. Footstooling is far more significant in this game compared to Brawl since several characters have to rely on their double jump even more for recovery (i.e. Luigi and Diddy Kong).

Edit: And then I realize AJ has already been in here. -_-;
Ninja-ed! It's what I do.

Top Bottom