• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So.. does anyone actually use battering items?

UltraPuff

Smash Apprentice
As in, do you try to take advantage of the item's ability or just throw it at your opponent?

For me, it depends on which character I'm playing as; some are better than others at using items.

ALP

Smash Rookie
I really don't throw the item a lot. For I usually drop it in mid air. It is very useful for mindgamez. It also depends on which item I am using, and which character I am fighting. If it were a Fire Flower. My usual instincts would tell me to use it. But, if I were fighting a character that can deflect projectiles or block them in a certain kind of way. I would use the dropping technique. I rarely throw items though.

UltraPuff

Smash Apprentice
I really don't throw the item a lot. For I usually drop it in mid air. It is very useful for mindgamez. It also depends on which item I am using, and which character I am fighting. If it were a Fire Flower. My usual instincts would tell me to use it. But, if I were fighting a character that can deflect projectiles or block them in a certain kind of way. I would use the dropping technique. I rarely throw items though.
Never thought of doing that, I'll have to try it sometime.

Ol-Jeb

Smash Apprentice
An ol' shack out in Antarctica, the last frontier.
It depends on the item for me too. If it's for example, a sword I'll probably get a swing or two out of it to get the opponent back a good distance before chucking it at them. Fans I'll batter the hell out of people with, Lip's stick is about 50/50, and the Bat I always throw, for me I get more use out of it that way. Plus I'm decent at catching it after bouncing it off of somebody so it works for me :D

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
Technically the lightsaber beamsword is a slashing weapon, but yeah. That's about the only one I seriously use the swinging attacks with, and only because Ganondorf gets access to that god awful jab lock nonsense with it.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
I never use the fan or fire flowers, I just simply hate them. It annoys me how the CPUs use them so much too, even though I can reflect the fire flower with so many characters.

I used to try and smash with the home run bat, but lately I've been throwing it, as I find it's most efficient. It has insane knockback! I think it's almost as strong as the hammer head.

Lip's Stick is my favourite. I just love the concept of it, and I think it's great for stalling, especially if you spread a lot of them around the stage, so you can constantly pick and throw them.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I love the fire flower it so fun to glide toss it and catch it without it touching the ground. But I useally try to throw it straight up for mindgamez same goes for the rest of the battering items

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Depends on who i'm fighting, which item i'm using, and how high the opponent's damage is.
If the damage is high i tend to throw the item. Nonetheless, I use it on occasion. I don't normally use items, but if they're there I tend to pick them up and use it if I can or want.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I mostly use Star Rod and Lip's Stick until it's dropped from my characters hand, mainly because those two items are from my top favroite Nintendo games, Kirby and Panel De Pon. <3

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
It's very rare I use items, but when i do I usually throw them b/c there's alot of lag in the match.

If you avent figured out wut im talking bout its basic brawl.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
For some reason, if items are ON, i use battering items to throw more than hit...
I like the HR bat better in melee, it always SMACKS the opponent when it makes contact, really funny when you hit an offstahe opponent that is inside the bubble :laugh:
Its better for comboing, if you havent played a good HRC lately, thats all it basically used for up until the hit
Dropping and hitting, funny, i remember, my friend got this funny KO; He grabbed a bat, knocked me offstage, and Edge-Hogged me(I waz Ganon T_T) Then he dropped off, and dropped the bat on me,i got stage spiked so bad XD

Blobby

Smash Cadet
I just like using the bat and see whos dumb enough to run or roll into it... If everyones smart, I just throw it at them =)

MahLazor

Smash Rookie
I enjoy fans, because you can combo them into any of your smashes, or my favorite, Luigi's fire coin jump.

UberMario

Smash Master
I love messing around with the fan :), it's hilarious when someone is goofy enough to hold their shield till it breaks in order to avoid a 1% attack rather than trying to di out of it.

As far as typical use, I usually use it "normally" in close combat, and then throw it either to gimp a recovery from off stage or when the opponent is getting to rolly.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
The only battering item I would use it probably the fan, after that it would probably be the Star Rod. The Beam Sword I swing 2 times then I just toss it. The bat is awesome at tossing as well. :)

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
I throw all battering items, unless Im playing as Captain Falcon, then I use Star rod and beam sword. Star Rod barrage from CF is awesome :D Also, I always throw fans off stage on purpose just to show my enemy that I dont need cheap items to win.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I find it silly that anyone would throw it. Most of the battering items are better used than thrown. You risk losing for a short term gain. Most have better properties to use while swinging (beam sword is long, Star Rod shoots projectiles and Lip Stick has DOTs). Paper fat is better for fap, fap fap, rather than throwing. You could make a case for the bat though.

Top Bottom