• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... Am I the only one who likes Brawl as it is?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, when you have a stereotype for a group of people, and that group of people (at lest 75% of them) plays right into it...

Corigames

Smash Hero
NO... I'm usually quite diligent about making sure people fall into their stereotype.

And, not to derail this fascinating conversation or anything, but we are talking about people with very new join dates right? People who start talking about things they don't know, have a misunderstanding of melee, and are blind to any form of skill? If so, yeah, I believe that. I have found very few posters in that group that defies that stereotype. In the time since Brawls release, there has been about 5 or 6 new people who aren't up there on that list.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
NO... I'm usually quite diligent about making sure people fall into their stereotype.
:/ That kinda proves my point.

And you can't view it from the perspective of right or wrong because it's ultimately irrelevant. It's more of a matter of democratic opinion/community consensus than it is about what is right or wrong. Eventually...that's what ends up being classified as "right or wrong" anyway. Rejecting other forms, ignorant in your eyes or not, is a good way to make a closed-off social network, which ultimately kills it.

Just sayin'.

Corigames

Smash Hero
What you are saying would all neat and nice if this is reality that we are talking about. However, we are currently in my world where rapidly forming and deteriorating opinions are a frequent occurrence. Contradictions and two-way thought are as common as trees on leaves here. Where up is up and down is up. I'm not wrong, because if I were wrong I would correct myself, therefore dividing by zero, so to say.

I live in my paradigm, and so do you. I can understand where having a conversation would be hard with me. Until I can perceive that you can break free of my inner thoughts, then I cannot disagree with something I have just posted. Otherwise, I would be acknowledging that a second entity exists in my own mind which may lead me on the road to insanity, a place that is not fun to visit in the spring or summer.

Anyway, I don't like Brawl the way it is, and anyone who disagrees does not know what they are saying, obviously.

Bone64

Smash Cadet
Hey, your not the only one.

I like Brawl as it is to.

What's so bad about this game?

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Hey, your not the only one.

I like Brawl as it is to.

What's so bad about this game?
Let me try to summarize what the people are saying.........

1. No techniques that made melee fun for many people.
2. 75m.
3. Subspace was dragged out and lame.
4. R.O.B.
5. Landmasters
6. No combo ability.
7. Tripping.
8. Boss battles on intense with no golden hammer.
9. Pit's voice acting.
10. C. Falcon and Ganondorf sucking.
11. Veterans getting nerfed.
12. Sonic seeming 'tacked on' to many people.
13. Marth still being broken.
14. Lack of enemies from games series' in subspace.
15. Floatiness.
16. Zero hitstun.
17. Direction of game was taken towards 1 Player and extras and not towards character development.
18. Laggy online.
19. Friend codes, and only being able to hold 64 of them.
20. No internet communication.
21. No DLC except for stage of the day.
22. Stage builder doesn't allow enough customization.
23. No Ridley, Geno, Krystal, Isaac, or Megaman.

I'm sure I missed some, but this is how many people feel. I personally
love the game and don't care about many of them but I realize its faults nonetheless.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
I am having fun with brawl and am looking to get good at it even though it may not be the Jesus Christ of competitive gaming.

ACSephiroth

Smash Rookie
Seeing how I got the game to play with other people (both online and offline), I am both happy and sad about this game. Happy that offline is still fun, and sad how online really sucks. I didn't expect the SP stuff to be that much fun. The unlockables add a lot to the fun level though.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
It's ok, I just wish there was more of what I was looking forward to with this game...

Also, all the people I have introduced Brawl to who played the prior games, hated Brawl.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
the question isnt what's so bad about this game, the question is what's so good about it? and again EVERYONE that joined after nov 07 is giving it a roaring praise.

Let's be honest, Im sure everyone here has been playing melee since it came out way back when, but the fact was no one knew of these advanced techs until AFTER they joined the boards. I remember seeing a few videos way back when but i never thought anything of them. In the end if people wanted to mimic what they saw on videos, they all eventually ended up in smashboards.

This is what i tihnk goes through most if not all brawl players minds when brawl was soon to ve out: "well its too late for me to learn techs for melee so what I'm gonna do is play the newer game, get good at that, and that'll be my excuse for myself as to why I call melee a **** game." believe me, I know too many people within the southern ontario scene that are like this.

I stand by what I say when it comes to all these newcomers having no right to bash on melee when they've had very little to no experience in the competitive scene.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
I personally loved melee. But was hoping for more of in-depth 1player experience seeing as how no one near me plays smash. And i think that brawl delivered. I dont see why everyone is complaining, they say they dont like some characters, then dont use them. they say they dont like a stage, then dont use it. they say they dont like a game mode then dont play it. Stop whining about it, and deal.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
again im not complaining about the 1-p mode, hell i never touch it because it ends. in the end all games end, once you're done the 2 player aspect of the game is all you have left, which is exactly why I loved melee so much. Though the game was done and then there was nothing more to do, There was ALWAYS a new challenger because lets be honest here, the only good game the GC ever had that everyone knows how to play was melee.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
2. 75m.
4. R.O.B.
5. Landmasters
8. Boss battles on intense with no golden hammer.
16. Zero hitstun.
18. Laggy online.
21. No DLC except for stage of the day.
I lol'd very hard

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
The thing about anything, any form of media, really, that's a sequel, is that there will be people who love it and people who hate it. The Brawl Haters have all the right in the world to think what they think, and if you want to be a realistic human being, you have to be at least a bit open to the opinion of others. They have to be right in at least some respects, right?

For example, back in 2005 when Soulcalibur III was coming out, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread (and I want to go on the record as thinking that Sliced Bread is the best **** thing in the universe), so I was obviously blind to critisism...for a time. But then came the imbalance issues. Then came the johns about Sophitia and Xianghua being too **** powerful. Some of it was true, some of it wasn't. I know it now, but only because I opened myself to other opinion (and I saw it myself).

The creation of this thread is a good thing, because it gives the positive people out there a chance to vent their feelings for a game that has created some controversy. At the same time, the Hater threads have all the right to be here, because it represents a public forum for people who are actually frustrated with the game for whatever reason. And isn't this what SmashBoards is? A place where the public can discuss Smash Bros?

That being said, I love Brawl the way it is. Sure, there are some flaws, but overall it's a great game. That's my opinion, anyway. So to answer the question posed in this thread's title, you aren't alone, buddy.

FootFace

Smash Apprentice
Of course, your not alone good buddy,
Its just the Melee people prefer Melee, like that battle system,
and are contempt. They are Mad because they don't have most of the
old techniques they used to use.

You could honestly compare the Melee vs. Brawl to Halo 2 vs. Halo 3 debate

Geno and Issac not being in did make me sad, but it didn't make me rebel against the game.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I've been enjoying it since day one! Sure, Brawl's faults are there, but I've accepted them, and have come to love the game even more than I ever thought I would. I've spent more time on this game than I have on any other game in my collection, and I've had it for less than two months! I can't even fathom how many hours I'll clock in by the end of the year! :p

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Of coruse I enjoy Brawl as well. Brawl has a better Kirby... with a killing hammer. <3

Wrath`

Smash Master
the question isnt what's so bad about this game, the question is what's so good about it? and again EVERYONE that joined after nov 07 is giving it a roaring praise.

QUOTE]

I joined in 2006 and i give it roring priase

I was one who used sll that wavedash and stuff but i seem to fine in this game, but play what you want.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
The thing about anything, any form of media, really, that's a sequel, is that there will be people who love it and people who hate it. The Brawl Haters have all the right in the world to think what they think, and if you want to be a realistic human being, you have to be at least a bit open to the opinion of others. They have to be right in at least some respects, right?
And I totally agree, however not one of them is bringing in a proper argument (minus you) and completely bashing on the game with no proper grounds

For example, back in 2005 when Soulcalibur III was coming out, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread (and I want to go on the record as thinking that Sliced Bread is the best **** thing in the universe), so I was obviously blind to critisism...for a time. But then came the imbalance issues. Then came the johns about Sophitia and Xianghua being too **** powerful. Some of it was true, some of it wasn't. I know it now, but only because I opened myself to other opinion (and I saw it myself).
yes but in the end it was a broken game. I may be wrong, but I dont believe you're actually opening your own mind as to how stupid this game can be:
-camping seems to always win
-items (smashballs, assist trophies, EVEN DRAGOON) can STILL be brought in the middle of a match even though they were turned off completely (dedede)
-infinites that are REDICULUSLY easy for anyone to pull off.

The creation of this thread is a good thing, because it gives the positive people out there a chance to vent their feelings for a game that has created some controversy. At the same time, the Hater threads have all the right to be here, because it represents a public forum for people who are actually frustrated with the game for whatever reason. And isn't this what SmashBoards is? A place where the public can discuss Smash Bros?
I actually disagree with that. I personally may not like the game but I wont go as far as to create a thread where it encourages flame wars. it's one thing to post your opinion. But half of these posts have baseless arguments.

here's a scenario: a soldier who is currently in the war at Iraq, goes up to a vietnam veteran(who would be in the same war) and says that the war they fought in was stupid and pointless and no where near as bad as Iraq. Now I'm not saying the soldier who was in Iraq deserves any less respect seeing as how he DID go to war, But regardless he wasnt there for vietnam and all its horrors so he really as no right to say which one was worse. Who's to say which one was worse, it may even be a little biast, but atleast the vietnam soldier was there for both of them, so atleast he could formulate a PROPER view on things.

That being said, I love Brawl the way it is. Sure, there are some flaws, but overall it's a great game. That's my opinion, anyway. So to answer the question posed in this thread's title, you aren't alone, buddy.
And I respect that opinion mainly because you've been around for both games and you atleast see the flaws so your views arent entirely biast and you've given a proper argument. in the end it just comes down to your personal preferance which is perfectly fine and I will respect it.

Of course, your not alone good buddy,
Its just the Melee people prefer Melee, like that battle system,
and are contempt. They are Mad because they don't have most of the
old techniques they used to use.
You could honestly compare the Melee vs. Brawl to Halo 2 vs. Halo 3 debate

Geno and Issac not being in did make me sad, but it didn't make me rebel against the game.

23. No Ridley, Geno......
thats reason TWENTY-THREE, 2 3. meaning there are 22 OTHER reasons

dont know anything about halo so I cant say anything about that.

Warui

Smash Rookie

I know I joined like 2 weeks ago just to post what I posted previously
I do not jump on bandwagons with whining *****es.

The whole halo thing is not the same as the smash bros thing.
It would be though if brawl was melee 2.0 which it isnt like halo 3 is halo 2 2.0 (which it is, you challenge this its maybe because you like buttsex.)

They should just move this series to Party games from Fighting games.
Melee was not that ****in' sweet, hitting people with sheiks over air and watching them fly at 50%, nah it aint sweet. Going to a tournament and watching fox up throw to the uair, naaahhhh it ain't sweet. A fighting game where one character has an instant kill move so easy to do?! LOL scrubs! Listen! Its not "Super Sweet". When someone picks a character on Melee you can tell who is going to win because of the character not because of the player.

But for real guys change your tampons and come back later to see if you feel better about Brawl.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman

I know I joined like 2 weeks ago just to post what I posted previously
I do not jump on bandwagons with whining *****es.

The whole halo thing is not the same as the smash bros thing.
It would be though if brawl was melee 2.0 which it isnt like halo 3 is halo 2 2.0 (which it is, you challenge this its maybe because you like buttsex.)

They should just move this series to Party games from Fighting games.
Melee was not that ****in' sweet, hitting people with sheiks over air and watching them fly at 50%, nah it aint sweet. Going to a tournament and watching fox up throw to the uair, naaahhhh it ain't sweet. A fighting game where one character has an instant kill move so easy to do?! LOL scrubs! Listen! Its not "Super Sweet". When someone picks a character on Melee you can tell who is going to win because of the character not because of the player.

But for real guys change your tampons and come back later to see if you feel better about Brawl.

Thank you for prooving my point

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
The only thing I don't like about Brawl is tripping. I can't ****ing believe something like THAT is even in this game.

Otherwize it'd be almost hands-down perferred to Melee.

Oh but also, recoveries need to be GIMPED. In Melee, it took skill/timing/knowledge to get back to the ledge at full effectiveness, and avoid edgeguards. In Brawl, anyone can get back from anything and edgeguarding is almost impossible.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'd like it more if it weren't so **** laggy when playing online. This alone takes away my tricks of the trade.

Two, I'd like it more if I could unveil and discover new tech moves.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman

thats reason TWENTY-THREE, 2 3. meaning there are 22 OTHER reasons

dont know anything about halo so I cant say anything about that.

You, my friend, are a tool. Post count and join date don't mean a **** thing, and you've just shown that.

Guess what? I like Brawl. I like it more than Melee. I've been playing since SSB64. Choke on that, ya prick.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
You, my friend, are a tool. Post count and join date don't mean a **** thing, and you've just shown that.

Guess what? I like Brawl. I like it more than Melee. I've been playing since SSB64. Choke on that, ya prick.
At ease solider. You've won. Wisdom doesn't come with post counts, for it comes with what's said in the posts. So yes, I agree with you whole heartedly.

Warui

Smash Rookie
Thank you for prooving my point
Well.. if your trying to be -smart-.

Your supposed to be doing that lab work, not on the internet.

I can sense your still shakin up a bit, you know its the thing thats stuck up your *** with the string comming out of it, It will help you stop crying. Im serious.

And I totally agree, however not one of them is bringing in a proper argument (minus you) and completely bashing on the game with no proper grounds
-Proper- Argument? People who dont want to leave melee just say brawl sucks because there is awesome techniques and bash brawl because its inferior and so called sucky, and vise versa. Just putting alot of proper words in there does not make or break an argument (ex. Johnny Cochran). All you need is a premise and two different sides to make a argument no matter how stupid it may sound.

Corigames

Smash Hero
If you have a recent join date, I don't expect you to be wise in the way of Smash. If you have low post count, I can only expect that you are new or don't talk a lot.

So, if you are new and don't talk a lot and say something dumb I am going to have to assume you are a scrub/n00b/jerk. If this is wrong, then you have problems. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk.

After playing Brawl for the past month, I went back and played Melee for a few hours...

Dear god...

I now have tainted memories. Roy is so painfully weak, Zelda sucks ***, Mewtwo is way too god**** slow, the only character who was the way I remember him was Dr. Mario! The graphics and sound bothered me, and Battlefeild was ugly as hell. I could practically smell the old.

Brawl topped Melee in my opinion, competitive play and tripping be ****ed.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
I love brawl as it is. Melee feels old and broken now. Even though I am better at melee, I would never go back to it.

Warui

Smash Rookie
If you have a recent join date, I don't expect you to be wise in the way of Smash. If you have low post count, I can only expect that you are new or don't talk a lot.

So, if you are new and don't talk a lot and say something dumb I am going to have to assume you are a scrub/n00b/jerk. If this is wrong, then you have problems. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk.
Uh.. this forum does not make you automatically awesome and all knowing if you get to a certain amount of posts and gain a new title. scrubs are *****es who keep talking about their skills and do not show up for **** because they had -things- to do. n00bs are new to the game and ask questions, jerks are ****ers like me who join up to this mess to goof with all the people that can't get passed that **** spawn of a game melee.

I know you and your buddy have the right to keep crying. Drinkin' milk before you go to sleep can also help in a better mood the next day.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591

I think you're a moron, that's all :|

Zoro

Smash Champion
Lol i usually just skip over posts
if the person joined in 08 or late 07

their opinions are completely useless
Well the same thing can be said about mine
They are the majority and the majority actually thinks brawl is better than melee

This is a brawl FINALS tournament match as in these guys actually won like 200-700 bucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCC9NLtJBD4

I saw a total of like 3 moves used by each person (exaggeration)
but you get my point

This is a friendly match with some friends of mine at home just normal practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxepupz1S6k

the first 10 seconds of the video had more movement the entire brawl video and that was just a friendly. something we do daily. We arnt even great we are like top 50 in our state which isnt a big deal.

Melee is greater than brawl in every way
brawl is fun but thats about it

Warui

Smash Rookie
Lol i usually just skip over posts

**** people keep crying about it... :ohwell:

Dime

Smash Journeyman
I hear if someone has a Dragonball Z avatar and their post count is not over 9000 then their opinion doesn’t matter.

But that doesn’t sound fair to me so I don’t believe it:)

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Post count and join date don't mean a **** thing.
Wisdom doesn't come with post counts, for it comes with what's said in the posts.
On this forum, it is typical that reckless and unintelligent discussion comes from new members.
Post count and join date do not matter, but it is more of a stereotypical concept.

It is typical that people who create a thread with a post count below 25 is most likely a scrub.
One can be wise in the way of smash and still have an early join date. It may be uncommon, but it is possible. (You could put me in that pot :ohwell:)

i usually just skip over posts

I choose you, 6footninja! (and myself)

Top Bottom