• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... Am I the only one who likes Brawl as it is?

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
You chastise someone in a childish way and then tell other people to grow up all in the same post. If anything, it's hypocritical.
This isn't really worth an argument, but I'll give it a go.

I sarcastically pointed out that just because Melee and Brawl can appeal to a different type of gamer, and that before anyone goes spouting ignorant statements like "ZOMG MELEE" or "ZOMG BRAWL," they should try and think about that for a bit. It wasn't hypocritical because you took what I said out of context.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Welcome to the Real World, buddy.
Sorry, but you can't blame Nintendo for fixing up glitches from Melee.
And I'm one of those scrubs. :) Odd that I kept getting beaten despite practicing for hours against someone who didn't play an eighth as much.
I don't know why someone on the outside is welcoming a long-time member, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Yes, they fixed glitches and exploits. They made it perfect for you, stripped of skill. Now, instead of having to have the ability to JC shines, PMC missiles, SH lazor, or anything that took more than the most reptilian part of the brain to preform, we have Brawl infinite combos that just require you to know what the grab button is and nothing else. There is no need for practice, as when you are in a pinch you can just spam your best move over and over again! Sweet.

You know why you were bad even though you were practicing? You suck or weren't practicing the right things. Now that Brawl's out, you can beat those people by winning through the character select screen. WHOOPEE!

The only people content whole with Brawl are people who were bad at melee or other fighting games. It's becoming less of a theory and more of a law as days go by.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I don't know why someone on the outside is welcoming a long-time member, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Yes, they fixed glitches and exploits. They made it perfect for you, stripped of skill. Now, instead of having to have the ability to JC shines, PMC missiles, SH lazor, or anything that took more than the most reptilian part of the brain to preform, we have Brawl infinite combos that just require you to know what the grab button is and nothing else. There is no need for practice, as when you are in a pinch you can just spam your best move over and over again! Sweet.

You know why you were bad even though you were practicing? You suck or weren't practicing the right things. Now that Brawl's out, you can beat those people by winning through the character select screen. WHOOPEE!

The only people content whole with Brawl are people who were bad at melee or other fighting games. It's becoming less of a theory and more of a law as days go by.
Weren't practicing the right things? Yet I got the higher scores in Classic mode and everything else than she did? Right.
My sister beat me when she decided to choose Marth as her main in Melee.
- Which she still mains, but now I can beat with MK often which everyone says is weak against Marth to begin with.
And even if I lose, I can just laugh it off with her. In Melee it was just frustrating loss after loss.
Did I mention I can beat her with several characters while she sucks royally with anyone else other than Marth? And even with Marth I can beat her still?

If you ask me, I think my skill really shines now than previously.

I don't even know why I'm still here anyway talking about this. Brawl's out and it's out, and I'm having fun.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Brawl is amazing as is.

Pros don't like it because they get multistocked by (online)randoms. *shrug*

It will never be competitive or played as long as Melee, too many people within the community don't want that, hence it won't happen.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Brawl might not have as many (discovered) advanced techs as melee, but I'm sick of people saying that means anyone can beat anyone. For a casual player, I'm generally pretty **** good. I can beat all but one of my friends consistently, usually with Olimar or ROB. That one friend however, despite also being a casual player, can smoke me with any character. In turn, pros can smoke him with any character. Pros will still kick *** regardless of whether or not they have glitches to fall back on. People who are better than me will still kick my *** just like they did in Melee, without any knowledge of glitches at all. I've wavedashed before, it's pretty cool, but the fact that one move became the basis for the entire metagam actually, if anything, shows how shallow melee was. Items can be annoying, and tripping is a hellish nightmare that bothers pros and casuals alike, but items can still be turned off, and we've got a crack team of pros working on how to break tripping, and unless Sakurai built the perfect physics engine, it'll eventually work. Melee and Brawl are different, and maybe Melee is a little bit better competitively, but you can love both of them like I do and still get smoked by people who are generally better than me.

Melee- May the waveshine happy fox player win.

Brawl- May the best man win.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Brawl is amazing as is.

Pros don't like it because they get multistocked by (online)randoms. *shrug*

It will never be competitive or played as long as Melee, too many people within the community don't want that, hence it won't happen.
LOL that is not the reason. I can beat any guy that played Brawl as their first competitive game that is not the problem I am no pro, but it is the lack of a high ceiling. The game has a very low ceiling so far and you can only improve your mindgames or w/e you want to call them so much.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Brawl might not have as many (discovered) advanced techs as melee, but I'm sick of people saying that means anyone can beat anyone. For a casual player, I'm generally pretty **** good. I can beat all but one of my friends consistently, usually with Olimar or ROB. That one friend however, despite also being a casual player, can smoke me with any character. In turn, pros can smoke him with any character. Pros will still kick *** regardless of whether or not they have glitches to fall back on. People who are better than me will still kick my *** just like they did in Melee, without any knowledge of glitches at all. I've wavedashed before, it's pretty cool, but the fact that one move became the basis for the entire metagam actually, if anything, shows how shallow melee was. Items can be annoying, and tripping is a hellish nightmare that bothers pros and casuals alike, but items can still be turned off, and we've got a crack team of pros working on how to break tripping, and unless Sakurai built the perfect physics engine, it'll eventually work. Melee and Brawl are different, and maybe Melee is a little bit better competitively, but you can love both of them like I do and still get smoked by people who are generally better than me.

Melee- May the waveshine happy fox player win.

Brawl- May the best man win.
I am under the assumption that you have never played melee, never will, and would abhor the idea to play a game competitively because you are afraid of taking the risk of finding out that Brawl isn't as good as you think.

If the whole melee metagame was based around Wavedashing, why was Peach high tiered? she didn't even use hers. Plus, Luigi had the best yet he was only at the top of the LOW tier. Wow, the whole meta game was shaped around WDing? Go to a tournament before you talk about what they are like.

Being able to do a waveshining doesn't make you win, being able to USE a waveshine does. Something that may be out of your comprehension.

Melee- May the person who knows what they are doing win.

Brawl- Does your controller have a turbo button?

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Lol wow if you like Brawl over melee you must be on drugs. People are complaining about brawl because brawl is basicly a joke compared to the rest of the smash series(mainly melee). They made it easy to win by spamming special moves, and for the skillfull player things such as decrease in hitstun, and way slowered speed, and the "floatiness" has decreased the competitive part of this game (by a lot, so much you better just quit now). Brawl is slow as hell if you people havent noticed, but people who werent even good at melee are saying "oh why dont you like brawl? it has so many characters and it looks way better than melee!" Unfortenately there are people here like me who actually like melee for its deepness and its long "lastivity" and its ammount of mindgame and not for its "pretty colors". Yes it is true that its easy to go from melee to brawl, because brawl is so basic, but its hard to go the other way. Try playing melee now, you will never go back to brawl. As for me i quit brawl, the worst part was i had like 10 people in my friendslist and i was the best. But i see no future in this game, none at all.

I was waiting for brawl for so long, hoping it would be almost like melee, because melee is god. But when the game came out i played all night and for the springbreak i played hours and hours. I kept saying "This game has to be deeper, something will come" But as almost a month went by i lost all hope of this game. Once i got back to melee i noticed how much better as a game it really was, so you noobs (people who like brawl mainly) please, please shutup about this argument, you cant win, just admit melee is better, not only that but that brawl sucks.
See all of those newly bolded parts? Every single one of those comments makes you an arrogant peice of ****.

The spring break part just means you need to get out more.

While yal brawl players are seeming in your little puddle of skill, the melee players had a whole ocean to explore. The worst part is that melee still has things to be discovered. Im out, i wont interrput until i see some good post from people who know what im talking about. Yal brawl players complain all you want, we wont stop until we get what we want.:p
Puddle of skill? I'm sorry you couldn't handle a new game. I'm sorry you can't adapt to something new. Yopu keep exploring that "ocean of melee". I assure you, it's been drained. There's nothing left. The teirs are relatively obvious, the glitches/infinite combos are set, and it's already established. So please, continue to waste your time. The rest of the community is moving on and there's nothing you or any other sub-par melee player can do about it.

I'm what you'd call a hardcore smasher. I will play anything they put out. Anything. That being said, I'd know if a game sucks and brawl is a fantastic game. So please, stop trying to get people to admit it sucks. Yeah, melee is a better fighter, that doesn't mean brawl sucks.

Spiral

Smash Cadet
I have no complaints about Brawl. The nerfs I've seen were expected, the buffs I've seen were expected, the increased random factor was also expected. This game is basically just like I thought it was going to be.

I'm finding the condecending attitude of Melee fanatics to be quite humerous. I can honestly say I always hated wave-dashing and don't miss it one bit. I never even noticed Brawl is slower, nor do I care. Nor do I care if it's not competitive and sometimes people get lucky wins. My self-esteem does not hang on this game, for others I'm not so sure.

Warui

Smash Rookie
Having buttsex involes being ******.
You get ****** quite often while playing melee,
Therefore, melee is like having buttsex.

I feel like I was going to a MVC2 tournament each time I went to a Melee tournament, same three ****in' characters.
MVC2: Storm, Sentinel, and Cable (Maybe a Capt. Commando, Amigo, and Rouge)
Melee: Fox, Falco, Sheik (Maybe a Peach, Marth, and Samus)

I mean it was cool the first 2 or 3 years, but come the **** on, move on!

Melee was not a completed game, comming out 2 years after the orignial for a fighting game?

Melee did require a handfull of **** ups in the system to be "sweet", no skill needed at all, just 5 mins with a conroller and training mode.

My def of skill- utilizing a trait at the maximum level without any sort of headstart or handicap (i.e. cheating the system).

Play something that is meant to be a fighting game with actual mechanics like Guilty Gear or Virtua Fighter.
Don't get me wrong these games have their **** ups too.

I really am sorry you have to know other characters now, and their whole moveset. Nahhhhhhh, really glad to seperate the bros from the hos.

Smash brothers was supposed to be a joke in the first place scrubs.

First post, awesome.

The Id

Smash Rookie
Brawl for the win. I'm sure people will find ways to make Brawl competitive if they really want to. I mean, how long was it before people started finding all the crazy glitches that made melee so competitive?

Spiral

Smash Cadet
Smash brothers was supposed to be a joke in the first place scrubs.
This. If you're taking a game where Mario squares off against Peach seriously..... well....

The Id

Smash Rookie
^I never really realized that, but it makes sense.

But if you have that attitude, that would make this a verrrryyy silly place to be right now.

XP

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
brawl is amazing and competitive, and as soon as people realize you cant play like melee, tehy will enjoy. I have enjoyed my new combos ive learned (im not sharing them) and am thankful i quit wave dashing and l-canceling a year before brawl came out, which made me get much better at THE ACTUAL GAME, learn to brawl or go back to melee, if you do however, you will suck at brawl compared to the competitive scene.

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
I like Brawl a lot, but things like tripping and the removal of wavedashing I don't think I'll ever be able to get over.

cdilink

Smash Apprentice
Can we just put an end to all these quarrels? Both Melee and Brawl are great games, so everyone be happy.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is a better game, but those who prefer melee should go play it. Seriously it's completely stupid how much whining we have to put up with from people who can't adapt. Melee is there, melee will never change, if you like melee stick with melee.

Just don't complain when in a year when you win a melee tourney and no-one cares.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
I find it quite funny how EVERYONE here thats giving brawl a roaring praise have only been members for no more than half a year (with the exception of 2-3 people). kind of funny seeing as how they all speak of melee as if they've known about all the advanced techs and making arguments when they havent even been around long enough to even learn and execute them. I'm willing to bet if anyone here spent even half as much as the vets, put in the time to actually practice this stuff and complain less about how glitches make this game, they'd probably hate brawl too.

My conclusion, no brawler has any right to say how much better brawl is over melee unless they've actually been around long enough to know.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I find it quite funny how EVERYONE here thats giving brawl a roaring praise have only been members for no more than half a year (with the exception of 2-3 people). kind of funny seeing as how they all speak of melee as if they've known about all the advanced techs and making arguments when they havent even been around long enough to even learn and execute them. I'm willing to bet if anyone here spent even half as much as the vets, put in the time to actually practice this stuff and complain less about how glitches make this game, they'd probably hate brawl too.

My conclusion, no brawler has any right to say how much better brawl is over melee unless they've actually been around long enough to know.
I know exactly what you mean. As a rule of thumb, I say people with join dates of after October 2007 don't know what they are talking about. If someone else has something to say on the subject, then I tend to listen to them more. You can say I'm prejudiced, but that's why we have experts. People who know more because they have more training and experience are people I tend to trust over theorists and beginners.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Melee since '02 and I still prefer Brawl to Melee, because I feel overall Brawl has far more impressive package. I don't know how anybody could argue this point otherwise. Nobody can possibly say Melee featured more characters, stages and game modes, because well it didn't.

Even though there is a vast legion of Super Smash fans, we only represent a small fraction of the total number of people who will eventually purchase Brawl. The majority of people who will buy Brawl, will be casual gamers at most - and not one of the pathetic little ******* who cry themselves to sleep each night because wavedashing became redundant.

To craft a game that could appeal to the maximum number of players worldwide, Sakurai had to strike a balance between being readily accessible to the sort of people who think Samus is a guy, while still filling it with enough substance to keep us as happy as possible. I personally thought he made a solid effort.

Times change. Game series change. Anybody who can't accept that needs to crawl back under a rock.

Corigames

Smash Hero
As of March 10, 2008, Super Smash Bros Melee is the best-selling GameCube game, with more than seven million copies sold worldwide.(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

I guess that advanced techniques were holding back the money from the Smash series all along? Oh wait...

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
As of March 10, 2008, Super Smash Bros Melee is the best-selling GameCube game, with more than seven million copies sold worldwide.(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

I guess that advanced techniques were holding back the money from the Smash series all along? Oh wait...
Do you think every one of those 7,000,000+ Melee players give a **** about advanced techniques..? :ohwell: Nice to see some facts and figures there, but they're a bit irrelevant to my point.

In summary:

My 1st Point: Brawl offers it's target market more than Melee. Technically that makes Brawl better than Melee. But heck what do I know - I haven't made as many posts on this forum as you have.

My 2nd Point: I get the feeling that the only reason why most of these jaded players hate Brawl is because they resent Sora fixing numerous glitches in Melee, thus eliminating their precious "advanced techniques" and "ruining" their game style.

zaf

Smash Lord
yea i wouldn't change a thing about the game. There is so much they improved on, a bigger character list. So for all the people who mained fox in melee, they still have a huge shot at a new char. There really isn't any down sides. The old techniques are gone? Well thats completely fine, there is now room for new ones. It does seem a lot more balanced then melee was and thats what makes a great game, balance. Look how long starcraft was and STILL IS being played in south korea. It is just a balanced game that still has more moves and techniques being found. This game i believe to be the best out of the 3. People just need to give it time. You cant expect it to be just like melee because if it was, there would be no use for brawl.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I like brawl but I can't lie, I have problems with it. One being some of the super odd glichs like characters skipping frames sometimes and them looking like they are having a stroke when grabed sometimes. Plus, the sexist character choices (ZSS being the only new female).

It has it's faults but w/e.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Look jerk off, the point wasn't to say that the game was bought a lot for the heck of it, the point was that the game was bought a lot even though it had glitches, advanced techniques, and exploits. It didn't matter to casuals if those are in because they NEVER in there. 7 mil. strong on a glitchy game seems find to me as a developer, especially since the community loved it so much. Then enters Brawl.

The only reason, I suppose, that they felt such a strong need to out right get rid of AT's was because of the ON-LINE FEATURE. Since n00bs will get on there all the time, they would have to eventually face pros. Won't they feel sad when they lose. Awww, let's cry. They already bought the game, that means they made their money. You can't get a refund from Nintendo because you "didn't like losing because you aren't as good as the people you lost to." So I don't get why they took them out. On top of that, the on-line sucks! It's horribly laggy and gives you no options or communication. Awesome.

So they took everything out. Everything. Sweet, now I have to play like I did back when I first picked up N64 smash. Which, by the way, isn't a time I was proud of. I was most happy with myself when I was kicking as in melee, and all my hopes were placed in Brawl allowing me to continue that awesome feeling. Instead, Sakurai took a dump on me and everyone else who liked melee. That feeling doesn't feel good.

So what would it have hurt to leave the tactics in? I know it doesn't matter now that the game is out, but getting 7,000,000 copies out with AT's doesn't seem bad at all to me.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I love Brawl. I loved Melee too. I loved smash 64.

I find it insulting that I was just stereotyped as a smash idiot since I joined in November of 07. Obviously that means I never played Melee or 64 (I did, actually) and that I must completely ********. Apparently the community is never supposed to grow or change, according to that mindset.

That being said, I can understand your frustration that you can't play the sequel the same way after practicing melee for so long. That's like being forced to learn to write with your non-dominant hand, which would be a heaping spoonful of suck. But remember, nobody forces you to play Brawl. Unless Sakurai confiscated your copy of melee when you purchased brawl, you can still make the decision to play Melee ... and that is okay.

I don't understand why people argue over which game is better. 'Better' is just an opinion, and everyone has one, and six billion posts about why melee/brawl is better/worse/more competitve isn't going to change anyone's mind about it.

Things like 'LOLZ GROW UP AND GET OVER URSELF CAUSE YOU CANT WAVEDASH THIS ISNT MELEE 2.0 DURRDURR' and 'Brawl will never be as competitive as Melee was for X reasons so stop trying etc etc' are not helping the community and are only serving to antagonize the other's opinion which usually ends in a giant unnecessary flame war.

Brawl will be competitve because there is a demand for it. Melee will stay competitive for the same reason. Both can be enjoyed casually. Seriously just play the game you prefer and stop bickering over stuff like this.

zaf

Smash Lord
I love Brawl. I loved Melee too. I played it up until the night brawl was released.

I find it insulting that I was just stereotyped as a smash idiot since I joined in November of 07. Obviously that means I never played Melee or 64 (I did, actually) and that I must completely ********. Apparently the community is never supposed to grow or change, according to that mindset.

That being said, I can understand your frustration that you can't play the sequel the same way after practicing it for so long. That's like trying to learn to write with your non-dominant hand, which is a heaping spoonful of suck. But remember, nobody forces you to play Brawl. Unless Sakurai confiscated your copy when you purchased it, you can still make the decision to play Melee ... and that is okay.

I don't understand why people argue over which game is better. 'Better' is just an opinion, and everyone has one, and six billion posts about why melee/brawl is better/worse/more competitve isn't going to change anyone's mind about it.

Seriously just play the game you prefer and stop bickering over stuff like this.

coudlnt say it any better.
Look at counter-strike and counter-strike source. Many tricks and exploits in cs you cant do in source. But both games are still played and there is never any arguments about them.

Brawl just came out, of course you aren't going to be able to play like you did in melee or know every exploit, it took how many years to get all the at's out of melee?. I doubt that the programmers of melee, put all those at's in the game. When they saw everyone doing it, they could go back and see why it happened and therefore could of carried it onto brawl. But then what would the point of brawl be? it would just be a prettier melee.

The point is to make a different game. Not make the same game 7 years later. Also balance is a huge factor in games, you can't make one thing in the best in every game because everyone will eventually use it and it will get boring. This leaves any character completely open for use. It makes it more exciting and more enjoyable for everyone.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
The biggest disappointment I have with Brawl is the fighing style. I don't like the slowness, the tripping, and the lack of combos. In Melee their was so much more you could do offensively and even defensively. I don't see how I could like a game more that takes away awsome attributes that the previous game originally had. I don't mind balance in a game, but to do that they should have had the characters that lacked some attributes buffed up, not nerfing down the fighting styles of other characters. I liked Melee over 64 instantly because their was much more added features to characters like air dodging and an over B move (Such as Samus's missles and Link's boomerang for example.) These were improvements, not takeaways.

I don't hate Brawl because I have a lot of fun playing it with friends in person and online; and I like how there's more stages, characters, better graphics, some cool items like assist trophies, and even the Subspace is fun, but the fighting style shouldn't have been nerfed. That's my only beef with Brawl.

Spellman

Smash Ace
After playing Melee as obsessively as I have for the last 6 years, I've got to say, I welcomed the changes and anticipated many of the changes. The only thing that irked me was the Final Smashes.

Just as a personal preference, I'm glad to be back to square one without the advanced techs or the other things. I don't have to use the net to find every last secret because I can make strategies and plays of my own and so far from the people I've played, they've held up effectively. Thing is, I always felt like I was just trying to improve the same game that everyone else was trying to improve in Melee, which isn't a bad thing, I had a lot of fun with that, but I'm glad we've moved onto new things. Also, late in Melee, after many years of playing items off, I wanted to drop items off play and that handful of stages we always played because I just got bored. So yeah, even when I was playing Melee, I was trying to change my Melee experience, so that's why Brawl was a welcome change for me. I like Melee a lot, but it got tedious, and that's why EVERYONE was looking forward to Brawl, but unfortunately some people didn't like the results.

So yeah, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. There's lots of Brawl likers here for different reasons, *ahem* not only new people or n00bs. *cough* I just never joined a Smash forum in the past because.. well frankly.. "join a Smash forum? who would DO that" was going through my head, so I mostly just lurked, but I realized that all the time I spent lurking could be spent saying a little something too, so that's why I'm here. Plus I wanted to get in on the Brawl online competition. x)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I find it insulting that I was just stereotyped... since I joined in November of 07.
I don't see why not. Unless this is an alternate account for one that was lost for some reason, then you should be stereotyped as someone who isn't that smart in the ways of smash. Idiot? No, I don't auto say anyone with a joint date that's new is an idiot, but someone who joins up and thinks that they already know everything is. You don't. If you like cars and you go to a school that teaches you to become a mechanic, that doesn't necessarily mean you will just fly through the classes no problem. Your past experience with working with cars will help you understand what you need in order to become better, but I doubt that you will be a master the second you start. Same with these boards and smash.

If you just joined up, I don't expect you to know everything already. That's why you joined, to learn. But, when you start arguing over things that you are just now learning with the "teachers," then you are asking for trouble. We were all n00bs at some point, and then we got better. Just know your place.

MIKE!

Smash Rookie
Brawl is good brawl is great.

Brawl is a 100% improvement over melee. There's chars I wouldn't mind having seen in the game, but in my opinion it's the best party game ever. I did not like mario party until #8 instead I played super smash. Taking it online is the greatest thing they could do for the series. From here I'd like to download content for the game like an xbox deal.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion

o_O

I wasn't sucky at Melee.

Corigames

Smash Hero
What? What's popular? Generalizations? If so, yeah, they are. I tend to think that stereotypes play themselves out... most of the time.

Top Bottom