• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... Am I the only one who likes Brawl as it is?

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Seeing all the constant complaining going on here, it makes me wonder. Am I the only one who likes Brawl as is? The only one not desperately looking for some magic AT that will make Brawl more "competitive?" I'm having a grand ol' time playing Brawl with my buddies, and I haven't really noticed any of the bad stuff I've seen discussed around here.

Meh. I hope I'm not alone in this.

inb4 trolling/flaming/sarcasm/old'd

JawaJedi

Smash Journeyman
I'm not nearly as struck by the faults that Brawl has as much as many other people, if that's what you mean. So yeah, I like it, and I'm looking forward to perfecting the advanced techniques when they come around. I even know of a few for Wolf.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely love Brawl, 10000 times more than melee. Theres a lot more content, its a lot more fun and balances, etc etc

and what was LavisFiend trying to prove in that first post? >_>

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely love Brawl, 10000 times more than melee. Theres a lot more content, its a lot more fun and balances, etc etc

Thats he's an ***, apparently.

EDIT: That must the be silliest censor I have ever seen in my entire life.

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
There is easily more people who enjoy brawl than there are people who are, people just like spamming and complaining and ****ing about much more than they. . . do whatever is opposite. (it's so much so I can't even think of a proper word off the top of my head)

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
This is why there's a casual player stereotype.

I think it's safe to say that anyone posting in General Brawl loves Brawl. Most of them love playing with their buddies, and probably just the way it is. And that's fine. Some of them also want a competitive scene, and realize that standard brawl doesn't allow for one. They want to make it better, because then they can not only have fun with their friends, but also compete.

Why is this not fine? We're not telling you how to play the game.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
This is why there's a casual player stereotype.

I think it's safe to say that anyone posting in General Brawl loves Brawl. Most of them love playing with their buddies, and probably just the way it is. And that's fine. Some of them also want a competitive scene, and realize that standard brawl doesn't allow for one. They want to make it better, because then they can not only have fun with their friends, but also compete.

Why is this not fine? We're not telling you how to play the game.
1st. I am not a "casual' player.

2nd. There is a LOT of people posting on this board who do not like Brawl.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
I am actually quite surprised that 'Anti-Brawl' threads are the predominant species on SWF. I know Brawl lovers post in all the 'I hate Brawl' threads but this thread gives a chance for the other side to have a place of congregation. I highly doubt it will last seeing as the topic has been getting less hot as the time passes, but overall a nice thing to see.

You are not alone in totally loving Brawl. Brawl is 5 if not 10 times the game Melee was/is. It's kind of humorous that many of the posters on a site about the game don't even like the game. Tell me how that makes sense. :S

-Link-

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
I am still having a grand ole time with my buddies, but we all still think melee was the superior game. gameplay-wise, me and my friends all agree melee was better, but brawl is newer, and it has more options, so meh.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
Wait, so now criticizing Brawl and liking it are mutually exclusive? O_O

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
I do, I honestly don't where all the complaining is coming from. It's a great fighting game, even though I don't have it yet. It seems that I will love it.

Dabble

Smash Cadet
I like Brawl for what it is: a pool too introducing casuals to the franchise.

The next game will be the next Melee. For now though, this game is fun to goof off with.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
No, but wanting it to change and liking it as is are.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with whether or not people like or dislike the game. Because really, fun and competitiveness are two very different things, and what it comes down to is how to maximize both.

Best101

Smash Ace
You got to understand why some competitive players here are complaining. Most older users here loved the speed and many different techniques you can do in Melee. And no matter how good you got at the game it always seemed like you could improve whether it be on mind games or techniques. You can never be so good in Melee that you cannot get any better at the character or game the game itself.

Some of these players enjoyed that a lot, and hate to see that Brawl may not have the potential to be half as deep as Melee as far as skill. Melee's competitive scene was good enough to be played in Major League Gaming competitions. It would only be natural for people to not be happy about what Brawl has to offer to the competitive scene (very little so far). See in Melee you have countless combos but in Brawl it's really hard to combo at all because the low hit-stun, and multiple air dodges.
Hopefully in the future people will start figuring out how to make Brawl deeper than what it seems right now

That's just how I see the matter

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Zeborg said:
HyperTheHedgehog said:
No, but wanting it to change and liking it as is are.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with whether or not people like or dislike the game. Because really, fun and competitiveness are two very different things, and what it comes down to is how to maximize both.
No, and no.

I apologize in advance if this post comes out as condescending. I have just been really irritated with posts like this on this board recently, and am feeling a rant coming on.

@HyperTheHedgehog:
Liking Brawl and trying to find new ways to play are most certainly NOT mutually exclusive; they actually go hand in hand. These people trying to find new ways to play are only doing their best to make Brawl better. Did you ever stop to think that if they hated Brawl, they would STOP PLAYING, instead of putting in countless hours trying to improve it?

It really doesn't matter if you agree with their definition of "improving Brawl." Nobody anywhere is forcing you or anyone to play differently from the way you already do. You like playing your way, fair enough. Just as nobody is telling you how to play, you have NO right to tell others on this board how to and how not to play.

Did you ever notice how this game came with this thing called "Options" that allows for a concept often called "customization"? Oh wait, no. I forgot the ability to customize is only for show and that playing on any settings besides the default ones are WRONG and ZOMG TRYING TO MAKE MELEE 2.0!!1

@Zeborg:
Wow..."fun and competitiveness are two very different things"? Did it ever occur to you that maybe competition is fun for some people? One might even go so far as to say many people. Ever heard of a thing called sports? :ohwell:

Mann

Smash Ace
These threads just need to stop. We already get that people love the game. We get the point that people hate the game. These threads are starting to be created out of a whim of a thought that seems like:

"I don't think there was enough love/hate for Brawl/Melee tonight. I think I'll make one." There are already threads that contribute to different sides that give great valid points. Is it because of this tl;;dr trend or whatever?

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
These threads just need to stop. We already get that people love the game. We get the point that people hate the game. These threads are starting to be created out of a whim of a thought that seems like:

"I don't think there was enough love/hate for Brawl/Melee tonight. I think I'll make one." There are already threads that contribute to different sides that give great valid points. Is it because of this tl;;dr trend or whatever?
There's a hate-the-game sticky. There's no love-the-game sticky, nor any love-the-game posts on the first page.

I don't think it's unreasonable to see a new thread every so often. I believe this is the first one I've seen this weekend.

Mann

Smash Ace
There's a hate-the-game sticky. There's no love-the-game sticky, nor any love-the-game posts on the first page.

I don't think it's unreasonable to see a new thread every so often. I believe this is the first one I've seen this weekend.
We already have character discussions. Tactics. Those are already filled with people who love the game. Does it need anymore praise? Or threads concerning it?

Tahtah

Smash Apprentice
I <3 brawl but only the online mod is ****ed up :S
because it misses an ranking page.
and sharing friends codes is ****ed up too.
and you can only have like 64 friends :(

whoady4shoady

Smash Apprentice
I love it, and dont see why everyone is angry. The better player will still win 98% of the time, even when tripping is involved. it is no Virtua Fighter tech wise, but it is still fun.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I love Brawl, and people know who I am.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say you are alone. There are a lot of people that are bad at melee, hate competition, enjoy broken stages/items, think the computer is difficult, only enjoy 1 player mode, and others that completely agree with you.

I, personally, think it is an OK game on it's own, but is a mere shell of itself in comparison to its predecessors.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings

Lol wow if you like Brawl over melee you must be on drugs. People are complaining about brawl because brawl is basicly a joke compared to the rest of the smash series(mainly melee). They made it easy to win by spamming special moves, and for the skillfull player things such as decrease in hitstun, and way slowered speed, and the "floatiness" has decreased the competitive part of this game (by a lot, so much you better just quit now). Brawl is slow as hell if you people havent noticed, but people who werent even good at melee are saying "oh why dont you like brawl? it has so many characters and it looks way better than melee!" Unfortenately there are people here like me who actually like melee for its deepness and its long "lastivity" and its ammount of mindgame and not for its "pretty colors". Yes it is true that its easy to go from melee to brawl, because brawl is so basic, but its hard to go the other way. Try playing melee now, you will never go back to brawl. As for me i quit brawl, the worst part was i had like 10 people in my friendslist and i was the best. But i see no future in this game, none at all.

I was waiting for brawl for so long, hoping it would be almost like melee, because melee is god. But when the game came out i played all night and for the springbreak i played hours and hours. I kept saying "This game has to be deeper, something will come" But as almost a month went by i lost all hope of this game. Once i got back to melee i noticed how much better as a game it really was, so you noobs (people who like brawl mainly) please, please shutup about this argument, you cant win, just admit melee is better, not only that but that brawl sucks. While yal brawl players are seeming in your little puddle of skill, the melee players had a whole ocean to explore. The worst part is that melee still has things to be discovered. Im out, i wont interrput until i see some good post from people who know what im talking about. Yal brawl players complain all you want, we wont stop until we get what we want.:p

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Lol wow if you like Brawl over melee you must be on drugs. People are complaining about brawl because brawl is basicly a joke compared to the rest of the smash series(mainly melee). They made it easy to win by spamming special moves, and for the skillfull player things such as decrease in hitstun, and way slowered speed, and the "floatiness" has decreased the competitive part of this game (by a lot, so much you better just quit now). Brawl is slow as hell if you people havent noticed, but people who werent even good at melee are saying "oh why dont you like brawl? it has so many characters and it looks way better than melee!" Unfortenately there are people here like me who actually like melee for its deepness and its long "lastivity" and its ammount of mindgame and not for its "pretty colors". Yes it is true that its easy to go from melee to brawl, because brawl is so basic, but its hard to go the other way. Try playing melee now, you will never go back to brawl. As for me i quit brawl, the worst part was i had like 10 people in my friendslist and i was the best. But i see no future in this game, none at all.

I was waiting for brawl for so long, hoping it would be almost like melee, because melee is god. But when the game came out i played all night and for the springbreak i played hours and hours. I kept saying "This game has to be deeper, something will come" But as almost a month went by i lost all hope of this game. Once i got back to melee i noticed how much better as a game it really was, so you noobs (people who like brawl mainly) please, please shutup about this argument, you cant win, just admit melee is better, not only that but that brawl sucks. While yal brawl players are seeming in your little puddle of skill, the melee players had a whole ocean to explore. The worst part is that melee still has things to be discovered. Im out, i wont interrput until i see some good post from people who know what im talking about. Yal brawl players complain all you want, we wont stop until we get what we want.:p
Wow...just wow O_o after playing Brawl I never WANT To touch melee again

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wow...just wow O_o after playing Melee I never WANT To touch brawl again...

...but I know I have no choice, because the entire community has shifted to Brawl. I guess I'll just have to soil my hands with filth.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Brawl is absolute perfection. Just looking at Melee now makes my eyes bleed. And the lack of Captain Olimar is just plain wrong.

The only reason it SEEMS like more people hate Brawl is because the true Smash Bros fans are too busy playing the game to live on message boards.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Its a great game. People are just being extremely picky over the smallest things. A lot of the complaining comes from people who are never satisfied. And they aren't happy with the fact the game wasn't built to be "melee 2.0". Hate that word.

Top Bottom