• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNK's Beautiful Ninjutsu Warrior - Mai Shiranui Support Thread (Officially too lewd for Smash)

Hedgehugs

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7897-0445-8488
I`m so hurt by this that i`m actually sobbing right now & i never felt this way about a video game character before but Mai really has touched me now....i just need time to reflect on my feelings.:crying::crying::crying:
im so sorry your character got deconfirmed for not being appropriate for 'good boys and girls'. must really suck.

idk if it helps but maybe she'll get lucky like ridley and somehow get in a future installment?? who knows.

anyway, im surprised bayo even got in considering the nature of her own game. sorta made me think mai had a chance if bayo is in the game but eh

D

Deleted member

Mai Shiranui is the new Ridley of post-Ultimate Smash.

10 years later she finally gets added just watch.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mai Shiranui is the new Ridley of post-Ultimate Smash.

10 years later she finally gets added just watch.
It took Ridley's fans 17 years to gain enough support to get him in and he happened because of the Smash Ballot, which is a miracle in itself. So 10 years time might not be enough if Mai gains popularity. But let's see how things go down first.

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Super Smash Bros. is for good boys & girls.

Sure, they let THAT stuff come in, but not other sexy material, which I'm more than okay with? Sure, it's a game for EVERYONE, but why, Sakurai, WHY?!?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think this hurts a lot because for KOF Fans she's just as iconic as terry and to not even have her as a cameo on the KOF Stage makes it feel like something's missing

D

Deleted member

i think this hurts a lot because for KOF Fans she's just as iconic as terry and to not even have her as a cameo on the KOF Stage makes it feel like something's missing
Street Fighter fans got Chun Li as two spirits. Mai didn't get any.

This your idea of fair?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it isn't fair and i know sakurai agrees because an old smash 4 interview(that someone tweeted a screencap from not that long ago)states how Smash Wii-U Was almost delayed because of Palutena's skirt and that's it....they were having a meltdown over palutena's skirt and how it was deemed too naughty for children to see....

so this makes me think CERO Told Sakurai "Look Either you cover up Mai or she can't be in at all even as a small two bit cameo" and sakurai decided to not include her because if she can't be seen as the way she's normally depicted then it's not a celebration of the characters

it's just A Watered down version that takes a dump all over KOF and it's fan base

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

it isn't fair and i know sakurai agrees because an old smash 4 interview(that someone tweeted a screencap from not that long ago)states how Smash Wii-U Was almost delayed because of Palutena's skirt and that's it....they were having a meltdown over palutena's skirt and how it was deemed too naughty for children to see....

so this makes me think CERO Told Sakurai "Look Either you cover up Mai or she can't be in at all even as a small two bit cameo" and sakurai decided to not include at her because if she can't be seen as the way she's normally depicted then it's not a celebration of the characters

it's just A Watered down version that takes a dump all over KOF and it's fan base
That's pretty much jarring to look at.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it really is....but as long as Smash is An E For Everyone game...boobies are a menace to society!

i don't remember where i heard or read this but i remember someone saying "if you try to cater to everyone then you appeal to no one"

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
nah i think it was just some random youtuber that brought up a similar point....it's one i bring up because when you are seen as the game celebrating the history of fighting games in one big fighting game beatdown

there's of course gonna be iconic characters left out or even not even considered because they can't fit in a family friendly game and that's honestly sad when you think about it....

D

Deleted member

nah i think it was just some random youtuber that brought up a similar point....it's one i bring up because when you are seen as the game celebrating the history of fighting games in one big fighting game beatdown

there's of course gonna be iconic characters left out or even not even considered because they can't fit in a family friendly game and that's honestly sad when you think about it....
Or even a whole gender group, in my case.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think this is a problem that comes with nintendo being the family friendly childish company so smash brothers can't really risk destroying that image

yet at the same time when smash brothers has gone from being a fighting game exclusively comprised of nintendo characters to being A Celebration of the entire gaming industry

you can't continue being childish unless you wanna outright many iconic characters from being added simply because They aren't Kid Friendly nor can they be modified to be G-Rated

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
as long as Smash is An E For Everyone game...boobies are a menace to society!
Actually, boobies are fine; it's panties that are a menace to society! lol Think about the thing that always gets targeted on females... the thigh holes on female Corrin... Mythra's spirit getting black tights despite just being a spirit while Pyra's spirit was just fine... It is all because of the standards of the japanese rating system. If the game is to be rated CERO (for everybody in Japan) then the very first and most important standard the game must follow is that there is absolutely no sign or hint of female panties being potentially visible. Quite a different set of priorities from other places rating systems where things like violence/weapons would be the first thing they look for, huh? The only way to get Mai in would have been to give her shorts/pants as proof her panties aren't exposed, but then people would riot! :laugh:

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
im so sorry your character got deconfirmed for not being appropriate for 'good boys and girls'. must really suck.

idk if it helps but maybe she'll get lucky like ridley and somehow get in a future installment?? who knows.

anyway, im surprised bayo even got in considering the nature of her own game. sorta made me think mai had a chance if bayo is in the game but eh
Well...thanks for that. I don`t see why if Bayonetta can get into Smash then so could Mai, but maybe she`ll get her chance one day.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
it isn't fair and i know sakurai agrees because an old smash 4 interview(that someone tweeted a screencap from not that long ago)states how Smash Wii-U Was almost delayed because of Palutena's skirt and that's it....they were having a meltdown over palutena'
Link for reference.

My guess is that Sakurai just didn't want to bother with that nonsense again and took the easy way out...

Honestly, while I'm sure Mai is a cool character and people like her for more reasons then just her looks.
I won't lose sleep over it.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
yeah that's most likely the case....but it does make me think more about how america is no better with how they view ultra violence compared to how they view sexy women in skimpy outfits

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Remember when the US freaked out over a cheesy B-movie game with no blood, to the point where it was a deciding factor in creating the ERSB (alongside the more obviously violent Mortal Kombat)?

Says a lot about conservatism, really.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Both the extreme left and right are just as bad.

To date I feel, why did Sakurai even addressed the Mai issue on the stream, than in a side interview in a magazine or website? He usually does that for things which should be left as footnotes.

Not that I ever expected her to be playable; but if just a background character or a spirit they could easily just go for her original outfit which is not as revealing as the later ones.

Mai Mai 000.png

Maybe not directly related but I also wonder, why a KOF stage and not a FFury specific one?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'd be lying if I say that I ever thought Mai had a chance to get in Smash as a fighter. However, I never expected Sakurai absolutely obliterating her as a character, denying her appearance as a cameo, mii costume or spirit. You all have my condolences. Here's a little something for you guys.
It's not much, but better than nothing, I suppose.
Gamexplain made a video on your stage. Really good stage too and am sure it's very appreciated. Maybe Sakurai himself will comment on it like I think he did with a Chrono Trigger one back in March or May between lol. (Watch it actually happen)

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Gamexplain made a video on your stage. Really good stage too and am sure it's very appreciated. Maybe Sakurai himself will comment on it like I think he did with a Chrono Trigger one back in March or May between lol. (Watch it actually happen)
Woah woah woah! Wait, is this real??? Be right back!

Edit: :eek: Wow! That was really unexpected! I used to watch most GameXplain videos, but I stopped a few weeks. (Didn't want to watch anything Luigi Mansion 3 related lol)

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Woah woah woah! Wait, is this real??? Be right back!

Edit: :eek: Wow! That was really unexpected! I used to watch most GameXplain videos, but I stopped a few weeks. (Didn't want to watch anything Luigi Mansion 3 related lol)
Yep it is real. Nice stage. All the likes and Jon and I suspect the rest of Gamexplain think so too

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Both the extreme left and right are just as bad.

To date I feel, why did Sakurai even addressed the Mai issue on the stream, than in a side interview in a magazine or website? He usually does that for things which should be left as footnotes.

Not that I ever expected her to be playable; but if just a background character or a spirit they could easily just go for her original outfit which is not as revealing as the later ones.

View attachment 246025

Maybe not directly related but I also wonder, why a KOF stage and not a FFury specific one?
Her fans would have found out that something was amiss sooner or later, and she IS popular. To the Smash staff, the most iconic look is usually important, so it's hard to get around this one without some fans complaining about a design change. So it's pretty much a losing battle no matter what unless CERO gets lax enough to adjust their A-rating standards.

Also, for the KOF stage; Terry is just as much a part of the KOF universe as he is for Fatal Fury. Well, that, and KOF is the fighting series that SNK fans remember most anyway.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
"King of Fighters" is the name of the tournament that the Fatal Fury games focus on, so the stadium can work for both.

The tournament's name was just later re-used as the title of the crossover series as well.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I'm telling you, she will be a popular request from now on.
And I'll be frank. Her absence in Ultimate is absolute bs.
They had numerous ways to circumvent this, and we already have content in Smash that is even more mature than what people were thinking she would have in the game. And it's on Nintendo for wanting to keep the game A, instead of letting it go B like their other franchises' mainline games

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm telling you, she will be a popular request from now on.
And I'll be frank. Her absence in Ultimate is absolute bs.
They had numerous ways to circumvent this, and we already have content in Smash that is even more mature than what people were thinking she would have in the game. And it's on Nintendo for wanting to keep the game A, instead of letting it go B like their other franchises' mainline games
CERO was paranoid about her undies being seen from *anywhere*, and the classic design for stuff is generally what's being aimed for. It'll be real difficult to circumvent around this one even if there are a bunch of costume alternatives. Next I suppose they won't want to see anyone wear anything shorter than pants...

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Her exclusion from smash ironically gives her more chances to become a smash fighter.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
CERO was paranoid about her undies being seen from *anywhere*, and the classic design for stuff is generally what's being aimed for. It'll be real difficult to circumvent around this one even if there are a bunch of costume alternatives. Next I suppose they won't want to see anyone wear anything shorter than pants...
Tell that to Cammy's crotch in the Spirit board, ZSS's sport bra and short shorts, and Palutena's panty shot. Or ZSS's skin-tight suit or Bayonetta's entire suggestive nature.
We now have an actual gun in the game, but OH LORD IF WE HAVE FEMALE SKIN. Of course, that would be the case, if they didn't have the double standards, as evidenced above.
Truth is, this might be a push for CERO to get their crap together and not be so uptight. Be how they were back in the Melee and Brawl days.
And also, maybe instead just ask Nintendo to let it be a B rated game instead, you know.

But remember, she wouldn't need to have jiggles. A cameo does not need to replicate a fighter idle animation. And we already have art of Mai that is tamer than spirits we already have in the game. The fact is, this was a fiasco.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Told you all that she's gonna be the next Ridley.
Too big!

Tell that to Cammy's crotch in the Spirit board, ZSS's sport bra and short shorts, and Palutena's panty shot. Or ZSS's skin-tight suit or Bayonetta's entire suggestive nature.
We now have an actual gun in the game, but OH LORD IF WE HAVE FEMALE SKIN. Of course, that would be the case, if they didn't have the double standards, as evidenced above.
Truth is, this might be a push for CERO to get their crap together and not be so uptight. Be how they were back in the Melee and Brawl days.
And also, maybe instead just ask Nintendo to let it be a B rated game instead, you know.
Palutena apparently sits at the point where the line was drawn. Since it took multiple submissions in the prior game with increased coverage to get to the point CERO was OK with her. So there's that...

Also, I'd seen someone mention that certain parties may have a requirement that Smash maintain a specific CERO rating to use their IP, and thinking on it, I could see TPC pulling that. Wild speculation without anything to back it up at this point, but has any game featuring Pokemon ever gotten anything above an A? It would be frustrating if this is the case, but at least it would be an answer. ;-/

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know if I put Mai in Smash as a fighter, i would have her wear this.
View attachment 246508
I seen the original Tweet. It is a good design.

Some were very torn about this. Arguing that it takes away from her character and completely butchers it. Others say that it is not all too bad and almost as cute as the original look.

Who knows what most would think of this being her Smash original design.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just gotta leave this out here...

It seems all well and good to label her the next Ridley, but here-in lies the problem; 1) Mai is a third-party, which is less easily accessible than the first-party Ridley, and 2) we still don't know if any third-party series will get a second unique newcomer this time, especially since :ultsonic: can never seem to get any.

Top Bottom