• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNK's Beautiful Ninjutsu Warrior - Mai Shiranui Support Thread (Officially too lewd for Smash)

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Just gotta leave this out here...

It seems all well and good to label her the next Ridley, but here-in lies the problem; 1) Mai is a third-party, which is less easily accessible than the first-party Ridley, and 2) we still don't know if any third-party series will get a second unique newcomer this time, especially since :ultsonic: can never seem to get any.
Considering I probably want more new characters from SEGA than all of the other partners and potential partners combined, I'd be very salty if they just hit up Sonic again. >_>

Fatal Fury, Final Fantasy, and Street Fighter, I get. Mega Man too (though that's heavily dependent on who).

Sonic though? :-(

Just saying...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering I probably want more new characters from SEGA than all of the other partners and potential partners combined, I'd be very salty if they just hit up Sonic again. >_>

Fatal Fury, Final Fantasy, and Street Fighter, I get. Mega Man too (though that's heavily dependent on who).

Sonic though? :-(

Just saying...
I'm just saying, for the sake of comparison. The only second series TP characters we got so far are echoes. :ultrichter::ultken: If they continue to take baby steps for every third-party going forward, it'll take ages for Mai support to affect anything.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Don't count out on third parties getting a second unique rep.

I can 100% see Sephiroth coming in the future for FF this DLC run, for example.
I'm sure Mai can get a good chance in the future too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't count out on third parties getting a second unique rep.

I can 100% see Sephiroth coming in the future for FF this DLC run, for example.
I'm sure Mai can get a good chance in the future too.
Well, Seph is a given. The only issue is whether Square isn't tied up in too much red tape and is willing to shell out a tiny bit more FF7 content with his inclusion (or worse, thinking that just Cloud is good enough).

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Unless there's massive demand for FF4 or whichever else within 10 years, I wouldn't expect any other FF game in Smash since 7's the one people remember most. Especially seeing as Square and the fans mostly forgot that FF4 exists.
XIV. Or XI.

Just give me some MMO love, dammit. :-(

Edit:
But beyond my own biases, VI is incredibly well-loved, XIII is incredibly well-loved (by its creator), X is iconic, and the Tactics sub-series has a lot of potential as well. And XV is a thing... Apparently...

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Her fans would have found out that something was amiss sooner or later, and she IS popular. To the Smash staff, the most iconic look is usually important, so it's hard to get around this one without some fans complaining about a design change. So it's pretty much a losing battle no matter what unless CERO gets lax enough to adjust their A-rating standards.

Also, for the KOF stage; Terry is just as much a part of the KOF universe as he is for Fatal Fury. Well, that, and KOF is the fighting series that SNK fans remember most anyway.
"King of Fighters" is the name of the tournament that the Fatal Fury games focus on, so the stadium can work for both.

The tournament's name was just later re-used as the title of the crossover series as well.
I am going to be called a conspiracy theorist but my theory is that this way they can have a stage for future SNK characters, since Kyo seems to be the main SNK guy and Terry the face, and still it is said that CERO does not rate DLC, yet Mai is not the stage. But why make a full buzz on it?

Maybe a model on her was made, but received the immediate ban when CERO saw it. Maybe Mai could be a playable DLC character in the future of course with wardrobe re-design.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Yeah, I did find it strange that Iori got a mii costume, but Kyo was denied one. Kyo is considered the overall protagonist of KoF, so it was pretty weird to see him get passed over for one, even if Sakurai defers to Iori

Perhaps Kyo will end up joining Terry later

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can’t help but feel it’s a bit weird that Mai wasn’t even given a Spirit that they could have easily edited like they did for Mythra and Camilla. Then again she is very iconic to KoF and not having a stage cameo would be weird, but that... obviously had it own problems

Tripking

Smash Rookie
I know this is a old thread but Sephiroth trailer is rated T for TEEN. So there might be hope for Mai, or maybe 2B or Shantae. But certainly Mai.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Mai's absence reminds me of Sakurai talking about the changes he needed to make on Palutena's design to please CERO when adding her in Smash 4 so, yeah. Also, sucks hearing that half of SNK shares are now owned by a company fully funded by Saudi Crown Prince MBS...

I know this is a old thread but Sephiroth trailer is rated T for TEEN. So there might be hope for Mai, or maybe 2B or Shantae. But certainly Mai.

FF7 is name-dropped in the trailer and is rated T by the ESRB, so the rating is reflecting that. This says nothing about Mai's likelihood at all. And 2B's game is rated M by the ESRB.

Well, Seph is a given. The only issue is whether Square isn't tied up in too much red tape and is willing to shell out a tiny bit more FF7 content with his inclusion (or worse, thinking that just Cloud is good enough).
Well, this certainly aged well.

Last edited:

Tripking

Smash Rookie
Mai's absence reminds me of Sakurai talking about the changes he needed to make on Palutena's design to please CERO when adding her in Smash 4 so, yeah. Also, sucks hearing that half of SNK shares are now owned by a company fully funded by Saudi Crown Prince MBS...

FF7 is name-dropped in the trailer and is rated T by the ESRB, so the rating is reflecting that. This says nothing about Mai's likelihood at all. And 2B's game is rated M by the ESRB.

So it's odd, apparently there are 2 versions of the trailer. One I'm guessing is for the game awards and they only mention the series Sethiroth is from. Final Fanstasy. No 7

The other is the standard youtube one posted on Nintendo's Channel and other gaming sites. It mentions FF7

Both have the T rating though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to the T thing, it also happened kind of with :ulthero:'s trailer, since DQXI has that rating. Not really anything new.

But I still wouldn't expect Mai unless CERO either gets a reform, or SNK themselves ends up persuading them, so that'll take a while.

At least she'll get a big movement out of the whole incident.

I can’t help but feel it’s a bit weird that Mai wasn’t even given a Spirit that they could have easily edited like they did for Mythra and Camilla. Then again she is very iconic to KoF and not having a stage cameo would be weird, but that... obviously had it own problems
I have noticed that CERO censors for Smash tend to be the most annoyed by thigh exposure that's dangerously close to showing the crotch area, which most likely was the deciding factor. If she was an animal person like Krystal she'd get away with it, but it is what it is.

If you think that's nice, you should see some of the stuff I posted on that thread prior to the reveal. :ultshulk:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In regards to the T thing, it also happened kind of with :ulthero:'s trailer, since DQXI has that rating. Not really anything new.

But I still wouldn't expect Mai unless CERO either gets a reform, or SNK themselves ends up persuading them, so that'll take a while.

I have noticed that CERO censors for Smash tend to be the most annoyed by thigh exposure that's dangerously close to showing the crotch area, which most likely was the deciding factor. If she was an animal person like Krystal she'd get away with it, but it is what it is.

If you think that's nice, you should see some of the stuff I posted on that thread prior to the reveal. :ultshulk:
It could also be that it looks like she’s going commando

then again Honor of Kings, a Chinese MOBA, had Mai cameo and they gave her a PG-rated design where she wears something underneath her usual outfit that covers the problem areas sufficiently

unfortunately it came too late

Tripking

Smash Rookie

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with this costume from Honor of Kings

I know people keep claiming that people would've complained more about her covering up, but I just don't see evidence for that regarding the Bayonetta situation. I was always just hoping for the cameo in the Terry stage at least. At least at that point she could be more easily modded in as a costume or character.

I still don't get how the trailers are rated T for TEEN since they mention the game or game series, but Smash itself doesn't receive a higher rating even though it has references to those same games and game series in it but doesn't get the game a higher rating.

Also Classic Cammy from street fighter is perfectly fine as a sprit apparently, regarding your crouch point so I seriously don't see how Mai is being discriminated against, literally just singled out.

Top Bottom