• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake's worst matchups.

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
I'm just wondering to all the snake mains out there, which char do you have the most trouble playing against and why? Include moves and such that make it difficult to approach or so.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
i hate playing against zelda,samus and recently link. i hate all of these b/c i cant stand all of ther projectiles. also zelda smashes

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
My hardest is another Snake. I don't know if it is because I am horrible at ditto matches or whatever but it becomes a game to see who can mortar-slide first, who can f-tilt first etc (most often it is not me). I hate ditto matches altogether and they tend to be my hardest match-up for any character.

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
didnt I just play you yesterday? you were the guy that thought he could win cuz i was trashtalking on the gamefaqs boards lol. What a small world =)

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
Pikachu. And let me tell you why.

Whenever I play a pikachu, it always beats me in the air. even if I don't intend to be in the air, a lot of it's attacks knocks me into the air.

on the ground the only think a pikachu has on me is that dsmash. also, its downB is a serious hazard bc of snake's oh so gimpable recovery. a lot of times when I airdodge out of my cypher to avoid the thunder, 60% of the time it hits me b/c of the slow horizontal speed the cypher carries snake, causing me to be hit with the "aftershock" when the airdodge animation ends.

usually what I do is just counter pick with GAW. >_>

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu and ROB> Wonderboy puts is clearly for pikachu. Just owns you in the air. Rob is a bit similar, he's got a good air game and snake doesn't also, his Dsmash makes it hard to get near and he can spam you while your away.

Oli too.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I find characters like pit and link annoying because they can projectile spam faster than snake can, limiting his ranged abilities, so you've gotta get in close but they know how strong snake is and they wont let you do that, using mines to make the area he can go to smaller works though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's weird noone put down DK, since DK users feel like they have an advantage over Snake.

Or is it that they're so rare that the above Snake players haven't fought any good DK's?

wonderboykevin

Smash Rookie
It's weird noone put down DK, since DK users feel like they have an advantage over Snake.

Or is it that they're so rare that the above Snake players haven't fought any good DK's?

honestly, i havent had any problems with DKs. i sorta feel like i can control the match. then again ive never seen or played a real hardcore DK.

NoriakiZ

Smash Cadet
Both Link and Toon Link, because they just spam their projectiles and well, Snake can do that...
But......

napZzz

Smash Hero
Its definetly toon link and ****ing olimar. Those **** pikmen always **** up snake and he has some deadly moves. Toon link can spam soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than snake and has a hard air game to get past.

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
Wolf... yeah right.

ROB is the hardest for my Snake to go up against, it's that blasted down smash! And that freaking D-air while I'm recovering!

(ROB's recovery is too broken, it's makes him more bold about using meteors, not to mention ROB's D-air stops him from fastfalling.)

waks

Smash Journeyman
ROB and the mouse, mostly. But its not really a disadvantage. Maybe a really slight disadvantage at most, and even at the very least. Others either goes even with him or Snake has an advantage over them.

King Kuma

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu - So small and can manuever around snakes attacks pretty well. Also has an anti-snake recovery technique that's just nasty for edge guarding (down b)

Samus - missiles/b-ball that pretty much disables snake from every melee/dash attack

Meta Knight - we all know why

and probably another snake encounter (ditto)

YellowSnowDemon

Smash Rookie
I've played against MetaKnights who are skilled enough to maneuver their attacks around your grenades.

I tend to have trouble with these chars;

Pikachu- He's small, his down+B > Snake's recovery, and his smashes have good range, and are strong. Thunderjolt can be occasionally annoying, but holding A can stop it.

Zelda- Dins Fire can be hard to avoid while recovering, and she has a good dair spike. And she can chain you w/ ^smashes at low percents.

DK- Here's stuff from the DK forum
"lets keep score

snakes tend to be campy, dk has one of the best approaches in the game. DK 1

snakes have projectiles, dk does not. Snake 1

DK can catch Snakes projectiles and glide toss them back, eliminating further ranged conflict. DK 1

Snake has a low of range power and priority in his hand to hand moves, DK has more range and power and equal priority DK 1

Snake can make it so you trigger grenades when you punch his shield, DK can kill snake with a grab past 30. DK 1

Snakes upb has some super armor on parts of it, DK's upb also has super armor, but DK's upb hits snake out of snakes upb. DK 1

Snake is easily gimped, DK is very good at gimping. DK 1

DK can kill quicker than snake. DK 1

Snake has both ftiltand utilt. Snake 2

final score DK 7, Snake 3. DK > Snake"
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167493

Wario can be troublesome occasionally. His bite eats cypher, and he has a great recovery.

ROB - ****dsmash, and his laser blows up grenades in our hands.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake's worst matchup is Pikachu. Pikachu isn't as good as Snake, but rather can capitalize on his biggest weaknesses. One of which is recovery, and the other in being able to outcamp Snake.

Thunder >>> Snake's recovery, and JUST Snake and Sonic's. Neither autograbs the ledge, so they are easy targets for that.

Snake also has trouble in general dealing with people in the air, so this prevents him from getting to much of an advantage in matchups against aerial monsters like G&W, Meta, and R.O.B. I'd say he's more or less even in these matchups as opposed to Pika, where he blatantly loses.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I've played against MetaKnights who are skilled enough to maneuver their attacks around your grenades.

I tend to have trouble with these chars;

Pikachu- He's small, his down+B > Snake's recovery, and his smashes have good range, and are strong. Thunderjolt can be occasionally annoying, but holding A can stop it.

Zelda- Dins Fire can be hard to avoid while recovering, and she has a good dair spike. And she can chain you w/ ^smashes at low percents.

DK- Here's stuff from the DK forum
"lets keep score

snakes tend to be campy, dk has one of the best approaches in the game. DK 1

snakes have projectiles, dk does not. Snake 1

DK can catch Snakes projectiles and glide toss them back, eliminating further ranged conflict. DK 1

Snake has a low of range power and priority in his hand to hand moves, DK has more range and power and equal priority DK 1

Snake can make it so you trigger grenades when you punch his shield, DK can kill snake with a grab past 30. DK 1

Snakes upb has some super armor on parts of it, DK's upb also has super armor, but DK's upb hits snake out of snakes upb. DK 1

Snake is easily gimped, DK is very good at gimping. DK 1

DK can kill quicker than snake. DK 1

Snake has both ftiltand utilt. Snake 2

final score DK 7, Snake 3. DK > Snake"
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167493

Wario can be troublesome occasionally. His bite eats cypher, and he has a great recovery.

ROB - ****dsmash, and his laser blows up grenades in our hands.
Playing camp is amazing, its not a point in the DK behalf.
DK drops the grenades because of us. If they ever glide toss one back its your own fault. Snake has amazing power and priority so that doesn't make sense there. His Dtilt is better too. Snake can live longer than DK. Personally, I find it more in my favor, because I am a campy player.

Llencelyn

Smash Rookie
Pikachu is my worst match-up with Snake. Once the Pikachu user begins a stream of Thunderjolts, things take a turn for the worst. Nikita Missiles pull out too slow. Planting a land mine is pointless. C4 not so much, but it still doesn't solve the problem since Pikachu is nowhere close. Still good to plant it during the spammage, assuming you plan to break through the spam attack. Then it's time to occupy the non-C4'd space and get in Pikachu's face.

In the end, most ground approaches are negated by this Thunderjolt stream and, as has been established, Pikachu has significant advantages in the air. Or he could quickly switch to Thunder spam instead.

Quite the fortress, for something so small. (The smallness being yet another problem. Really, Pikachu's a counterpick to Snake.)

Best solution so far is to prevent the Thunderjolt stream, either by keeping close or by expanding field presence with C4 and plenty of Grenades.

Ghetto Soldier

Smash Apprentice
All i see snake havin trouble wth is olimar and DK they out rang you pluse the can camp you to hell.
pikachi is not that much trouble if you play grenade bounce and tilting you have rang on the rat so it works.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
lol, ghetto soldier doesn't know how to play the game.

DK cannot camp. Olimar can but DK cannot.

Against Pikachu, pull a grenade and just start doing glide tosses it works.

Ghetto Soldier

Smash Apprentice
yeah i cant play the game hahaha **** you.
DK can camp its called down B it keeps you ranged smart one so it is camping and he can camp with his forwerd tilt.
but i cant play the game huh.
you just never think how he lose 's to DK or you think projectile camping is the only way to camp.
but i cant play the game right?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Whoa, ghetto sorry if I hurt your feelings. I am just used to playing against the dks down here. I just out camp them. But, none of them have used the down b, I will see how that works. Yeah, DK is a hard match up but its winnable. I still believe that Snake can outcamp DK, but that is a matter of opinion.

Also, sorry if I hurt your feelings by saying that you can't play the game. I was refering to The Game. Not to brawl.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Me i am a really campy Snake. I use the grenade stripping a ton to get grenades high and to have them drop making the Down-B less usefull. I learned to do glide tossing against DK. He is a hard match, I will give him that, but I don't have too much trouble. Maybe the dks here just can't play against projectiles?

We should play sometime.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
My hardest is another Snake. I don't know if it is because I am horrible at ditto matches or whatever but it becomes a game to see who can mortar-slide first, who can f-tilt first etc (most often it is not me). I hate ditto matches altogether and they tend to be my hardest match-up for any character.
You are not alone. For some odd reason, I have a hard time with platform stages like battlefield and my best work is done on Final Destination.

R.O.B is a pain too. I am a step closer to being able to dismantle that character, though.

Pika isn't that hard if you nullify his thunderjolts by jabbing and force Pika to do the approaching by sneaking in a grendae during the spam. Approaching is tricky for Pika due to your tilts when spaced correctly.

Remember that first strike of ftilt can clank with the disjointed hitbox of Pika's f smash and hurt him up close. The timing is a little tricky, so practice it.

Ghetto Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Me i am a really campy Snake. I use the grenade stripping a ton to get grenades high and to have them drop making the Down-B less usefull. I learned to do glide tossing against DK. He is a hard match, I will give him that, but I don't have too much trouble. Maybe the dks here just can't play against projectiles?

We should play sometime.
yeah we should play someime lol. well how do the DK's play there?

D

Deleted member

Falco, Fox, D3. Anyone with good vertical KO potential or good edgeguarding. Foxes that know to save their Usmash and to laser spam are the worst. Snake can't really do much about it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Our DKs try to wait for me to come over there. Then when they realize that grenades are by them they try to throw, and guess what. They drop the grenade and roll dodge. When your in the air they try to Bair you to death. I just dodge to a uair, it works most of the time. Or I just go camp more.

Ghetto Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Our DKs try to wait for me to come over there. Then when they realize that grenades are by them they try to throw, and guess what. They drop the grenade and roll dodge. When your in the air they try to Bair you to death. I just dodge to a uair, it works most of the time. Or I just go camp more.
ight i see what you mean. but how do i get tilts in when they DownB the hole time?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You just get more grenades in. Forget the tilts if they can't be used. Just camp until you they can be used. Force him to come to you. If he does, you have the advantage.

Top Bottom