• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Video Thread of Manliness

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

JTsm

Smash Master
-fapfapfap-

Also, it's just amazing how you are coming up with awesome tricks with Snake. Deff studying up xD

WIDL

We Are Born
I will upload them, I just have to get done with melee teams first (I'm almost done tho!). :|

I'm nowhere near your level, but I did manage to win a tourney with Snake, so I wanna share some of my sets - and it would be cool to get some pointers to what I can improve on.

Also, I just watched the first match vs Alpha Dash's Wario. Oh my god... O_O Up-b sticky (even oos!) looks hella sexy.

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
A friend of mine, who goes by Xethos would like his Snake critiqued.
Xethos (Snake) vs GammaWaves (Best of Three) - 9/19/13
Xethos (Snake) vs Me (Toon Link) (Best of Three) - 9/19/13
He switches after game one so no point in showing game two. aha.
Thanks for watching.

JTsm

Smash Master
I'll have some doubles matches uploaded tomorrow (hopefully). Double Fox and Jiggs are my really bad MU's. lol q.q

AznGamer405

Smash Cadet
I'll have some doubles matches uploaded tomorrow (hopefully). Double Fox and Jiggs are my really bad MU's. lol q.q

Just curious but what do you think of Xethos's playstyle?

Any particular areas he could work on?

I'm not a Snake player, so I don't really know what errors he made and whatnot.

JTsm

Smash Master
Just curious but what do you think of Xethos's playstyle?

Any particular areas he could work on?

I'm not a Snake player, so I don't really know what errors he made and whatnot.

He needs to go for more grabs. Also, he needs to lcancel more, wavedash more, sticky more... I mean if he's serious about going for Snake, then he needs to practice his tech skill and how he can use his tech to his advantage. DDD especially is a char Snake can just roll over. In that MU specifically, Nair and other aerials are wonderful to use. I would suggest to your friend to watch Professor Pro, Sax, and/or Unholy since they know what they're doing.
Just type their names in youtube and you'll get stuff. Even if it's 2.5, Snake really hasn't changed all too much except his new nade throw.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5moKJyqiPo Me vs Slayer (CF)
Probably the most hilarious 1st match ever. So many bad moves, reaction, and I almost won the first game xDDD

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
How do you guys record matches, generally?

I play PM fairly often with some of my friends and it'd be cool to get some feedback on Snake, who I pretty much main now.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
The way my friends record our matches are with camera and tripod. It sucks and i hate it but it works. I need to record some matches now that I'm actually used to project m.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Here's me and my friend, I usually don't upload matches but it showcases a few grenade tricks

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Here's me and my friend, I usually don't upload matches but it showcases a few grenade tricks
I was quite surprised by some of the grenade tricks and pressure I saw and learned a few new things, good job :)
Who was playing Snake btw, you or your friend, and you should upload more videos if you can.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
Those are some pretty beast nade tricks you got. O_O

Just one nade trick I've never seen anyone do, but I think you tried doing it for a second. It's a bomb jump. Pretty much while in air you just throw the nade up and up-b into it. Much easier and better than the down b because its less percent damage and even if you miss the nade one, you have the down b one to cover yourself. Just wanted to throw that out there. (get it? haha... nvm)

Anyways, I entered my first tourney the other day. The match I played as snake was streamed, but I ended up losing. The other guy also plays snake and is better than me, I admit. I still wish I didn't suicide so much...
Starts at 24:00 i believe and ends at 32:30.
http://www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee/b/478263046

EDIT: Here is the match on youtube if you are really that interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-fCMDQWVE

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
First match: It looks like you had a rough time landing against Sheik (understandable). Try incorporating grenade reversals (press B and the quickly press the control stick the opposite way you're facing) into your landings to change up your momentum. It's something Brawl Snakes have been doing for quite some time, and I personally learn a lot from seeing how they get around Snake's mobility issues. Also, I noticed that you were able to land a fair amount of F-tilts. The second hit has its uses, but at low percents first hit of F-tilt > Jab reset > Grab can lead to some great punishes. Even if your opponent wises up and techs the hit, that's a tech chase opportunity. Zelda's a tough nut to crack as Snake, all I can really say right now is to optimize all the punishes you get.

Second match: First Snake ditto I've seen! The nice thing about this is that you can see for yourself the kind of combos and punishes Snake is capable of. First hit of Nair > Grab is great, Uthrow > Uthrow/Dair/Uair/C4 depending on percent, that sort of thing (side note: you seemed to be suffering from nerves in the set, so maybe you already know this and just didn't get to show it. In which case you can always practice :)). In general, grabs are key. They lead into sooooo many options for Snake, it's kinda ridiculous.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
First match: It looks like you had a rough time landing against Sheik (understandable). Try incorporating grenade reversals (press B and the quickly press the control stick the opposite way you're facing) into your landings to change up your momentum. It's something Brawl Snakes have been doing for quite some time, and I personally learn a lot from seeing how they get around Snake's mobility issues. Also, I noticed that you were able to land a fair amount of F-tilts. The second hit has its uses, but at low percents first hit of F-tilt > Jab reset > Grab can lead to some great punishes. Even if your opponent wises up and techs the hit, that's a tech chase opportunity. Zelda's a tough nut to crack as Snake, all I can really say right now is to optimize all the punishes you get.

Second match: First Snake ditto I've seen! The nice thing about this is that you can see for yourself the kind of combos and punishes Snake is capable of. First hit of Nair > Grab is great, Uthrow > Uthrow/Dair/Uair/C4 depending on percent, that sort of thing (side note: you seemed to be suffering from nerves in the set, so maybe you already know this and just didn't get to show it. In which case you can always practice :)). In general, grabs are key. They lead into sooooo many options for Snake, it's kinda ridiculous.
Thanks man! I see what you mean with the b reversal and stuff. Snake has a lot of interesting combos. Facing that other snake was really great as a learning experience I have to agree, I feel like I got so much better after facing him. The nerves were definitely a killer though, considering it was my first tourney match let alone streamed match... :urg: Thanks, I'll practice up! I'm entering another local tourney in a couple weeks so I should have a couple vids up then if they record some of my matches. Till then, I'll be training my butt of till I master Snake.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Happy to help! I'm going to my first PM tournament myself in a little over two weeks, I'll see if anyone is bringing a recording setup. It would be awesome to be able to get some in-depth feedback of my own.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
EDIT @ KOkingpin KOkingpin : Don't put these in the OP, I've got better vids on the thread now. Unless you want to include the flavor edition lol.

Le videos!

I wanted to wait until my tournament sets made it onto Youtube, but with the sporadic nature of Smashboards as of late, I'll go ahead and put these friendlies up for critique.

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01I_pK4gU-E
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OWH-IfPpc
Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NE9ufhijE

Game 1, this time with some of my thought process displayed as the match plays out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhtOgbdVdc

Also, I'm aware that my sparring partner has some work to do as far as his technical skills like L-cancelling and wavedashing. I'm mainly looking for input on my own game - what looked good, what looked bad, and how to be consistent at edgeguarding (without using the nikita). Thanks!

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Lol that thought process video

I'd shield drop wavedash pick-up the grenade more so you can cook it and have more movement.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
The flavor edition is great. One thing you need to improve on is snake's approach. I mostly utilize his nair and dacus for that, but snake really does lack the ability to approach. Just a side not, but calm down on the dash dance. The point of dash dancing is for mi d games, making yourself unpredictable. It would be more effective if you increase the amount of time between changing the direction of the control stick. Try to make it as unpredictable as possible.
I also have a pocket zss and would like to commentate a tad bit on your friend's. To continue off dash dancing, zss has an amazing dash attack out of dash dance. Also, tell your friend not to abuse the up b. It really isnt that good of a move as it can allow the opponent to counter attack if they react correctly. He shouldnt be afraid to charge smashes, especially his side smash after down smash. Also, this is a bit advanced, but he should ledge hop into nair. Just some recommendations. If I sounded mean, I didnt mean to. Just how I explain sometimes.

Nice stuff though. I learned a lot, especially that bair can be used as an edguard. Good job :)

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Thanks, it was fun to edit :)

Yeah, approaching with Snake is always a doozy, but vs ZSS in particular it's really difficult. All she has to do is throw out her Side B and most of Snake's options are straight up beat. That's why I was going for a lot of tight dash dances and general defensive/explosive play. My goal is always to bait a bad approach, grab, and then do what Snake does best. Oh, and I can't DACUS for my life :/

I'll keep working on those approaches though. Hopefully my other vids will be uploaded soon, as there's a noticeable difference in my playstyle when I'm not facing down a huge whip.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
I see. I never faced a zss with my snake actually. But I can imagine the pain haha.

Btw, I wasn't able to dacus until a few weeks ago myself. I had a problem using the z and I didn't use the r button much, so i set that to attack and used the r instead of z. So much easier. If you have the same conditions, I highly advise you try it.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
That sounds like a really good idea, actually. I don't use the R button myself.

And yeah, from my own experience I think the matchup is in ZSS' favor precisely because it's so hard to get in. When my friend first picked her up I kept running into all her ranged attacks and getting combo'd for it. Tbh I think if he improved his overall tech skill and learned how to space better, he'd be beating my Snake before long.

Edit: I actually saw some discussion on the ZSS boards about how great her Up-B is for platform pressure. Sure, it's not total justification for throwing it out willy-nilly, but the way my friend uses it makes it really difficult to escape a platform without taking a chunk of damage. Try it sometime.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
If you only use one trigger to Wavedash/Tech/L-cancel u can set the other to Attack in Controller/Tag options for easier DACUS

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
So with 3.0 coming out and me not really posting anything for a while I thought I would post the last of my 2.6 Snake from a tournament which happened Saturday, I think I played pretty well and I think it's matches you guys will enjoy, plus I'm posting them because they will be forever lost in twitch if I don't lol. I've put timestamps on each video so it's easy to find where I play

Friendlies vs Lucas (Bullet Bill) - http://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyness/b/485656055?t=178m23s
skip the one wolf match, I play atrocious lol.
3:11:17 single Hit nairs are really good lol
3:11:40 people need to start doing this as an edgeguard, IT'S REALLY GOOD, especially on heavier characters, but it can work on all weights

Winners Semis vs Alpha Dash (Wario/Pit/ROB) - http://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyness/b/485656055?t=210m14s
Not really much to say on this set, I think I played pretty good, my Pit ending game got posted on reddit lol.

Winners Finals vs Jolteon (MK) - http://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyness/b/485656055?t=245m48s
This MU is pretty hard for Snake I've noticed and even Jolteon was saying he could see how it was, but I still managed to pull through.
Note to self and all Snake players....ban Yoshi Story lol

Grand Finals vs Jolteon (MK) - http://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyness/b/485656055?t=490m30s

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I posted that match to reddit, the finishing combo at 3:35:00 had my jaw on the floor.

And yeah, C4 to Fair Spike is way too much fun lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I posted that match to reddit, the finishing combo at 3:35:00 had my jaw on the floor.

And yeah, C4 to Fair Spike is way too much fun lol.
Ohhhhhh it was you who posted it on Reddit. Thanks :) I had no idea who it was lol.
I was trying to post my post earlier today, and then smashboards crashed and then literally 10 mins after someone told me I had a thread on Reddit about me lol.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
That's because there will never be a point in time in your entire smash career where you will have a 2 stock lead against me :awesome:
I would use my patented "quote for contradiction" tactic to destroy your feelings, but I see you have already done my work for me in your previous post. :D

Xethos

Smash Cadet
You like yoshi's?!?!?!?! :eek: That map is literally the worst thing in my life lol, especially against wall clingers/jumpers. Never could get used to it.
But I hate excessively small maps so that's something. The smallest I can handle is battlefield.

Sago

Smash Lord
I'm a long term melee marth so for me yoshi's is really just a personal preference. Other then low percent c4 combos it isn't great for snake. But I feel good there so i go there. All about feelin ma'self.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
What DO you guys prefer for CPs as Snake? My region has quite a few legal stages, but I tend to roll with Battlefield, Norfair, Lylat Cruise, Drac's, Rumble Falls, Fountain of Dreams, Skyloft or Skyworld, depending on the match-up.

I typically ban FD out of a combination of personal distaste and not having platforms. Nothing else is really a high-priority ban for me, as I have a combination of Ike/Roy/Ganon for smaller stages if I feel I need it.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I like Battlefield, FoD, Dreamland, Dracula's and Wario Ware the most. In general I think high ceilings benefit Snake more than the opponent, as he lives a long time and doesn't have much trouble KOing off the top due to C4. Platforms definitely help with his mobility, landing options, and mine setups, though I don't mind playing on FD. WW is mostly personal preference, but the platform arrangement does lend itself to vertical chases with Uair, Usmash and such. Plus the tranq covers the whole bottom of the stage. Between those stages, I rarely lack for CPs.

I don't like Norfair because it forces Snake into the air a lot. Yoshi's Story is a mix, it depends on the character matchup. Smashville is somewhat similar, but I prefer to have more platforms to work with. I don't usually have to worry about the rest of the stages - I hate Lylat, but often enough my opponent does too, so I don't even need to ban it.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
Personally, I always ban yoshis story and dreamlanf. Yoshis is personal preference, dreamland because I feel like the ceiling is too high, even with the c4. I tend to counter pick norfair, because snake can manipulate the stage well; smashville day, because its a good stage and mines blend in; ps2, personal prefrence as a good stage; skyworld, same reason as norfair; and fountain of dreams, as the low platforms lend for easy stickies plus mines blend im really well now.
For me its just personal preference, but I also have my reasons.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So it looks like every stage can be a Snake stage if you want it to lol.

Also, some videos:
FlashingFire (Snake) vs The_Irish_Dude (Zelda)
FlashingFire (Snake) vs The_Irish_Dude (ICs) This was maybe his second or third match using PM ICs.
FlashingFire (Snake) vs 420Blaziken (Samus)
FlashingFire (Snake) vs JZ (Fox)

In the second game against JZ I made a lot of silly decisions, especially near the ledge, but what I'd really like to know is how to deal with DrillShine pressure. I kept trying to shieldgrab and Up-B OoS to no avail - I'm not sure if this is my own fault or if those just aren't the correct responses.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Couple vids here from me, some I did well, some not so well.

The Ivy game is a bit of a slaughter, but I did pretty well in the others I think. Peach game I wasn't exactly very warmed up, but still won. Any advice/critique is appreciated.

Top Bottom