• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Video Thread of Manliness

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
This thread is for anyone who plays the manliness that is Snake in Project M. I'll start off the videos by posting some of my stuff. I'll keep everyone's names in alphabetical order so they should be easy to find. With that said post some stuff. Show off the manliness.

Bubbaking

BND

BND (Snake) vs Triarii (Various) [Playlist]

Chaser

EastCoastEddie

Flashing Fire

SCG|FlashingFire (Snake) vs Jitty (ROB)
SCG|FlashingFire (Snake) vs El-Dro (Falcon)
SCG|FlashingFire (Snake) vs A-Wall (Ivysaur/Link)
SCG|FlashingFire (Snake) vs Rahma Noodles (Mario)

JTsm

Professor Flash

PM Wifi SR Professor Flash (Snake) vs GabPR (Sonic)
PM Wifi SR Professor Flash (Snake)& QHI (Meta Knight) vs Goola (Ike) & 5ully (Wolf)

Professor Pro

QraQ

Raziek

Sago

SAX

Toronto Joe

Unholydeath

WIDL

Last edited:

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Added the Professor Pro Videos to the first post. I am going to organize each players video's separately so that everyone can watch each individual player.

So yeah come on snake mains post some videos.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOL I was actually coming in here to post those exact vids but someone already beat me to it, thanks Jtsm :)
I'm still looking to get more vids up of me playing better to help promote and assist in helping Snake's metagame :)

JTsm

Smash Master
LOL I was actually coming in here to post those exact vids but someone already beat me to it, thanks Jtsm :)
I'm still looking to get more vids up of me playing better to help promote and assist in helping Snake's metagame :)
Haha no prob dude. I can't wait! :D

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
prepare ur anus

JTsm

Smash Master
Eddieeeee
1st Game: You did pretty good. I think some of your options should include more grenades. Link would get the upper hand at throwing his projectiles at you. C4 sticking was awesome especially at 1:54 was pretty slick. Near the end of the match, you kept fishing for those UpB combos. Made you kind of predictable and almost costed you.

2nd Game: On the 1st stock, even though you were able to kill ZSS early, you got hella pressured to high percent. Using a nade to break off pressure does help. Your use of f-air is pretty amusing and use a lot of it. xD When recovering in general, it's a pretty good mix up to pull out a nade. Your opponent will be less inclined to punish you. Also putting a C4 near the edge beforehand could help but that doesn't always work since it's situational. Your use of fsmash might have worked, but it was fairly predictable. lol

3rd game: When going for the edge guard on Falcon, it's pretty gay for Falcon to deal with mines. Don't try to go for fair offstage because it's normally risky since the timing is tricky. When setting a mine, you can just predict how the falcon can get up and proceed to punish.

In general, your tech skill is pretty good. You know how to sticky pretty well and you love fairs. xD I like your snake a lot. So envious.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I'm finally gonna start to actually play this game

watch out boys

edit:

what are some of the best videos to watch for a newbie like me, just to show the basics of snake. Like besides full matches, theres tips and tricks videos

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Eddieeeee
1st Game: You did pretty good. I think some of your options should include more grenades. Link would get the upper hand at throwing his projectiles at you. C4 sticking was awesome especially at 1:54 was pretty slick. Near the end of the match, you kept fishing for those UpB combos. Made you kind of predictable and almost costed you.

2nd Game: On the 1st stock, even though you were able to kill ZSS early, you got hella pressured to high percent. Using a nade to break off pressure does help. Your use of f-air is pretty amusing and use a lot of it. xD When recovering in general, it's a pretty good mix up to pull out a nade. Your opponent will be less inclined to punish you. Also putting a C4 near the edge beforehand could help but that doesn't always work since it's situational. Your use of fsmash might have worked, but it was fairly predictable. lol

3rd game: When going for the edge guard on Falcon, it's pretty gay for Falcon to deal with mines. Don't try to go for fair offstage because it's normally risky since the timing is tricky. When setting a mine, you can just predict how the falcon can get up and proceed to punish.

In general, your tech skill is pretty good. You know how to sticky pretty well and you love fairs. xD I like your snake a lot. So envious.
Thanks for the pointers and feedback! Definitely going to try to get more nades in for offense and defense. I need to mix up my moves more in general. I hadn't thought about the c4 near the edge.. sometimes I end up doing that mostly as an accident haha.

I use F-air a lot mostly out of habit I think. For some reason Snake kinda feels like Ganondorf from Melee to me just enough where I think I have to F-air everywhere, lol. But I've been trying to use more neutral airs and could probably stand to back air more.

Good points on edgeguarding Falcon. Any character without a projectile can't really deal with mines that well. I don't think I had played a Falcon with my Snake before so I always want to experiment with the forward air or down air spike against new characters because I really like the quick kills.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
http://www.twitch.tv/fishflopstreams/b/381318254
3:56:26

Me losing to a Lucas... what do? I need feedback pls <3
From what I saw, there was no grab game from your Snake, which is pretty much his bread and butter in this game, I've found. You have two throws which compliment your DSmash game perfectly, the ability to move(via DPad) while you are grabbing your opponent, and a great chaingrab/kill/setup throw in UThrow, and at low percents(I'm told) a quick and dirty DThrow can lead to a guaranteed C4 stick(which can lead to UThrow>C4 kills). You did none of that, from what I saw, outside of a sort of legit USmash to UThrow.

Multiple times... if not every time, you added the third slash to your FSmash with absolutely no hope of your opponent getting caught in it. There is merit to the third slash, as witnessed in your opponent literally walking into it once for the kill on Metal Cavern, but you had the ability for some followups after hitting with the second slash, which you lessoned because you still went for the third hit.

Also stop SDing.
be less free
Much to learn from this.

My Snake knowledge is limited to the few times I've played him, and the multiple times I've versed him, but Nikita is too good now, and the grenade's short fuse can really mess with an opponent's approach.

In short, more C4. More Throws. More DSmash setups. Less SDs. More grenades. Be less free.

JTsm

Smash Master
From what I saw, there was no grab game from your Snake, which is pretty much his bread and butter in this game, I've found. You have two throws which compliment your DSmash game perfectly, the ability to move(via DPad) while you are grabbing your opponent, and a great chaingrab/kill/setup throw in UThrow, and at low percents(I'm told) a quick and dirty DThrow can lead to a guaranteed C4 stick(which can lead to UThrow>C4 kills). You did none of that, from what I saw, outside of a sort of legit USmash to UThrow.

Multiple times... if not every time, you added the third slash to your FSmash with absolutely no hope of your opponent getting caught in it. There is merit to the third slash, as witnessed in your opponent literally walking into it once for the kill on Metal Cavern, but you had the ability for some followups after hitting with the second slash, which you lessoned because you still went for the third hit.

Also stop SDing.

Much to learn from this.

My Snake knowledge is limited to the few times I've played him, and the multiple times I've versed him, but Nikita is too good now, and the grenade's short fuse can really mess with an opponent's approach.

In short, more C4. More Throws. More DSmash setups. Less SDs. More grenades. Be less free.
Thanks for the criticism. I really needed it xD

In general, my tech skill is terrible, so as a result I try to make up more in fsmashes or something xD But I get you with everything you said.

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
Sup, BryE. Watched your vids vs Fox. So many guaranteed things...
mind-game or frame trap for grabs. Uthrow-Utilt, Uthrow stick. Straight tech chase, even? Might not even have to come to that after Uthrow-->Utilt at 0% [on a certain spacie at least] UpB-Aerial (pref Bair or Uair). UpB OoS
CQC from prone position. Trust me on that last one. Dacus? At least keep holding down when ya dash attack to 'roll' to prone.
And Pineapples. Yum.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Sup, BryE. Watched your vids vs Fox. So many guaranteed things...
mind-game or frame trap for grabs. Uthrow-Utilt, Uthrow stick. Straight tech chase, even? Might not even have to come to that after Uthrow-->Utilt at 0% [on a certain spacie at least] UpB-Aerial (pref Bair or Uair). UpB OoS
CQC from prone position. Trust me on that last one. Dacus? At least keep holding down when ya dash attack to 'roll' to prone.
And Pineapples. Yum.
lol Thanks for the advice man. I appreciate it.
Also I've been playing a bit of Snake vs Mario against Dr. Yogi recently. (He's a PM Mario main, plays a bit of brawl too) Any idea on how to deal with Mario? I'm not entirely sure on what I should do against him since he has fast Jabs/Tilts/Smashes. Not only that, but he can easily juggle Snake as well as gimping him.

The only thing I've been able to do is just outplay Mario and rely on my grab game against him. Which works for the most part.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
That looks like three matches... :p

....I totally forgot to edit the "two" when I edited my original post. I fixed it now though. lol

Also, I'm looking at your matches now. I'll post a response to what I think of your matches. :]

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I updated the first post with some of the new videos put up on this thread. Keep em coming guys. Lets get some tourney matches on here as well.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I've finally got some recorded vids of my Snake, although I was playing extremely sloppily due to very little practice with him recently, but meh, no excuses... :ohwell: This is a competitive set between me and Bigwenz. Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated:
Bubbaking (Snake) vs BigWenz (Wolf) 1
Bubbaking (Snake) vs BigWenz (Wolf) 2
Oh fun, space animals. lol They can be kinda hell since they pressure the crap out of Snake. But using nades and cypher effectively can really help out if you're getting pressured severely. Just don't try to be too aggressive since they out-prioritize Snake in the air. (Especially his Nair).
You also may want to use less aerial attacks too. Snake needs to be grounded at all times otherwise he gets completely destroyed in midair. The only thing he has to defend himself in the air are nades, cypher, and bair (in which bair/nades aren't too reliable when recovering onstage but they sorta get the job done).

I also feel as if your setup game with nades, c4, and mines are kinda lacking. You play fairly aggressive with Snake and go in a lot while also getting good grabs. I also play an aggressive Snake and Link. But as far as setups go, you don't really seem to know what to do with your nades. You end often pull a nade out and just roll away from it or you use them to stop your opponent's momentum (which is good). But you gotta remember that you can also use your nades as an offensive option as well. Try Your mine/c4 game is ok but your placement could be better.
IMO, you should plant mines in places so that your opponent has to work to get their kill as well as making them feel uncomfortable in their current position (limit their options basically). But against characters that have projectiles that can distort your mines, I believe you should use them to mess up their recovery or use them as distractions.

That's all the advice I have for now. I hope this is helpful to you. :)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Thanks a lot for the advice. Now I'll repay the favor.

Got three more matches to show.
I managed to pull off a pretty decent combo in the first match too. lol

Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Snake) vs Blade (Wolf)
Game 1, I noticed that you didn't capitalize your combos and go for a lot of potential C4 sticks (I suck at them too, admittedly) during your first stock. Examples would be 0:30, 0:40, and 0:50 (lolz, those intervals). You'd launch the opponent at a perfect upwards trajectory, but you'd hit him away and end the combo instead of sticking him and potentially following up. Looking a bit forwards to the end of your first stock, you could have used such a stick to both save yourself and possibly net a KO (Cypher immediately after the DJ, preserving the DJ's momentum to go really high. If Wolf tries to follow, 'NOW!' him and possibly even combo into uair or bair.)

Really, really nice combo on Blade's second stock. :crazy:

At 1:42, you get the jab reset, but you don't capitalize. It could have been a C4 stick, a grab, a tilt, a smash, anything. You kind of do a mostly empty SH into a whiffed late nair. I do the same thing all the time and because of that, I'm thinking that you were 'auto-piloting' at this point (I feel like a lot of Snakes throw out nair when they're not actively thinking about the current situation or really don't know what to do). Nair is good, but it doesn't reliably link into things because of how weak the first couple of hits are.

At 1:50, I don't know if Blade ate your second jump, but the way you recovered was really risky. You could have just DJ'd to the ledge (if you still had it). I was seriously afraid that Blade was going to dair meteor you just like he did on your first stock. In that situation, I like to try to upB a little further out. I might have to C4 myself to actually recover but I'd rather take the extra damage if I know my opponent knows how to deal with Cypher. Again, if you go for more C4 sticks, a lot of these recovery situations can be circumvented completely because you can just blow up your opponent when he commits to edgeguarding you.

2:12, you do it again. You go for the 'autopilot nair' after the dtilt. Again, it whiffed (and allowed you to be punished), but even if it had hit, it wouldn't have reliably led into good things. There are much better follow-ups available in that situation.

At 2:20, it looked like a technical error, but you didn't follow-up on your Cypher hit to at least cover yourself, let alone combo off of the hit-confirmation. I don't like to drift that high from a Cypher OoS because, as you said, Snake can get messed up in the air. Just thought I'd point that out...

2:22 - Another tech error? :confused: Anyway, I'd say that was prime DAIR TIME! Or maybe bair to hit him against the wall. It seemed like you wanted to do that anyway but just didn't. Idk... :ohwell:

2:30 - The 'autopilot nairplane'...

That was a GREAT interception with your dtilt into an uair kill at the end of the match! :)

Overall, your Snake game is really solid. I saw lot of nice things, and yeah, it seems like we share an aggro playstyle up-close. :bee: My biggest issues with this match were the lack of C4 sticks and the overabundance of sub-optimal nairs. I hope this helped! ;)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I've had like 2 Streamed events after this one, but one of them got deleted about 1/2 weeks ago (by Jolteon who's meant to be uploading the matches) and one of them was at a tournament where it's amongst a whole bunch of other stuff so i'm not gonna post it.

BUTTT I thought since there wasn't much stuff being posted I would post this until Jolteon decides to upload the most recent matches we had like 1/2 weeks ago.

http://www.twitch.tv/jolte0n/b/378638124 (don't attach on the OP plz)

Critique if people would like to, it might be a bit more useful to critique the sets I had with Jolteon though later since they were a bit more serious and these were friendlies.

JTsm

Smash Master
Ahhh the day today is shining upon me. Must watch. ;o xD

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Yooooo, expect doubles vids soon! My team (myself and Mike-Kun) beat Milkman and Redd and one of the set's wins involved me takin' 'em both out single-handedly! :estatic:

Still need a ton of work, though... :ohwell:
Good stuff man. :D Also thanks for the previous advice you gave me in my matches.
The technical errors at 2:20 and 2:22 were actually supposed to be footstools. However I don't think I was close enough to activate a footstool.

Speaking of matches, I have some more matches with me vs Bl@ck Chris's Fox. I know made a bunch of mistakes in these vids though so no critique necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijkIaRMAfm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMZsKgPy8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA25ml1_MUI

JTsm

Smash Master
I notice that in your 2nd and 3rd video, you kept trying to regrab at 0% to low percents. All spacies can't be regrabed when they are that low of percent. Generally around 45% or more, there's that potential to regrab. Snake should just predict the DI and punish accordingly with an up-b, aerial or sticky. When in high precents, spacies or fast-fallers have a tendency to not go up as high and thus, making them very easy to kill with a sticky combo. All you really need to do in general is to stay on his ass while on the ground. You can jump or be in there when you are basically below him, but never try to approach by jumping straight at him. Just SHFFL when necessary.

Also, you should only put down mines where the opponent is offstage or you're able to make time to break off pressure. Doing it when fox is mid-range of you is terribad ><

Fair can be meteor-cancelled and it's one of those moves I still hate (coming from competitive brawl). It's just one of those surprise mix-ups that should be used wisely if the opponent is not smart enough to realize what's going on.

Approach with DACUS and dash attacks more, but mix it up with some wave dash shuffling to bait the opponent. Snake has the options, but you have to be quick about it. The key in general is to stay on his ass and stay on the ground. I envy your Wavedashing. I still need to practice my tech skill. Professor Pro shows many examples of simple tech skill to approach. Mainly with platforms to work around your opponent. Also adding some of that tech skill, powershielding can prove to be a huge asset in facing falco, wolf, but not fox obviously xD Just another idea to approach with Snake.

- Sorry if this was too long. I was just eager. ;o

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I notice that in your 2nd and 3rd video, you kept trying to regrab at 0% to low percents. All spacies can't be regrabed when they are that low of percent. Generally around 45% or more, there's that potential to regrab. Snake should just predict the DI and punish accordingly with an up-b, aerial or sticky. When in high precents, spacies or fast-fallers have a tendency to not go up as high and thus, making them very easy to kill with a sticky combo. All you really need to do in general is to stay on his *** while on the ground. You can jump or be in there when you are basically below him, but never try to approach by jumping straight at him. Just SHFFL when necessary.

Also, you should only put down mines where the opponent is offstage or you're able to make time to break off pressure. Doing it when fox is mid-range of you is terribad ><

Fair can be meteor-cancelled and it's one of those moves I still hate (coming from competitive brawl). It's just one of those surprise mix-ups that should be used wisely if the opponent is not smart enough to realize what's going on.

Approach with DACUS and dash attacks more, but mix it up with some wave dash shuffling to bait the opponent. Snake has the options, but you have to be quick about it. The key in general is to stay on his *** and stay on the ground. I envy your Wavedashing. I still need to practice my tech skill. Professor Pro shows many examples of simple tech skill to approach. Mainly with platforms to work around your opponent. Also adding some of that tech skill, powershielding can prove to be a huge asset in facing falco, wolf, but not fox obviously xD Just another idea to approach with Snake.

- Sorry if this was too long. I was just eager. ;o

Nah it's alright, I don't mind long posts of critiques like this.

I normally regrab if the opponent is at 0% when I do get a grab started since you can regrab them after the first initial grab. Then I usually up b after the second grab and plant a c4 while going forward. (Most of the time when I do this, the opponent rolls forward.)

I try to use dacus but the timing for it in PM is really iffy. The only characters I know I can do it with ease are Lucas and Ganondorf. Doing it with Snake requires me to consciously remember the timing for it since I often screw it up.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Hey guys, good to see stuff still getting posted in this thread :bee:

I also got some sets recorded yesterday which should be uploaded to youtube at some point, which I will post in here.

I had a Streamed Session yesterday which I played quite a bit of Snake, did a nice little combo at 6:40ish I think if anyone wants to check it out as well lol.
http://www.twitch.tv/jolte0n/b/397043456

I play Snake between 0:00 - 9:17

17:16 - 32:02 (Snake ditto 4 stocks in this time period lol)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Added the latest from Professor Pro and Chaser/BryE
LOL I didn't actually post that for it to get put in the OP, but more just to put some content on the page, but I don't mind anyway :)

Now that it's there I might as well put the rest of the time slots where I played Snake and say who i'm playing again for the others

0:00 - 9:17 vs Hoe4u (Pikachu)
17:16 - 32:02 vs Jolteon (A few Snake Ditto 4 stocks)
37:56 - 53:31 vs Alpha Dash (Wario/R.O.B/Diddy)

Also can you put 28/04/13 next to the vid plz, just because I will very likely be having a lot of streamed events and would like to be able to distinguish

JTsm

Smash Master
Yeah there are more vids posted from those two, but those videos I posted represents them well.

Top Bottom