• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake bandwagon...

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
I fear that many many MANY people will jump on a sort of "Snake Bandwagon" due to the fact that, lets face it, he's the best character in the game. Tournaments will be like this...

"No one expected Snake to go all the way. Remember when Snake came back and upsetted snake? or in the next round, where snake had a close match against snake. The finals, Snake vs Snake was one of the best games we have seen in a while, even better than Snake vs Snake in round 3, congradulations Snake, you have proved them wrong!"

That is just horrifying. :urg: Once the tiers are out, it will be like this, most likely.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well, it was kind of inevitable. In melee, tourneys were basically dominated by the higher teirs. Snake is no doubt high, if not, top teir. And as much as I hate to say it, top teirs attract newbies like moths to a flame. However, they did try to balance brawl as much as they could, so it's not as if other characters don't stand a chance against the higher-ups, the gap is much smaller than in melee. That's probably why the teir list this time around is being created very meticulously.

Lol I think that you're blowing things out of proportion though. Pika/Olimar/Rob can do terrible things to Snake...and half the cast can put up a pretty good fight. And uh..*looks at your sig* ..IC chain throwing 0-death hmmm...

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately abit_rusty is right when he says that "top tiers attract newbies like moths to a flame." When the tier list comes out Snake(most likely) along with the other high and top tier characters will be chosen simply for the reason that they are high on the tier list and they think that they will own everyone else.

People who main Snake for the reason he plays rather than his assumed high position on the future list will be hard to find amongst all the people who jumped bandwagon. I sort of hope that he doesn't place high but its likely that he does. =[

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Yea I agree. I jumped on the bandwagon when I saw psycho ****** play. I play ALOT of characters and I do very well with Snake. HE is my most likely candidate for sub-main. And I see some tourney vids and I see more Snake pop up.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Snake is awesome. First of all he has a Mullet. Second of all he has a sexy Mullet. Third of all I won a tourney with him today =).

Xxll_The Boss_llxX

Smash Cadet
Yea I know it'll eventually be coming. A whole bunch of newcomers will no doubt pick up Snake and simply think they'll out-class everyone. Of course, there are a lot of us (like me), who've been using Snake since the U.S. release. I just hope the true players will rule out the fake >.>

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Been playing snake since Brawls debut, from the tourney I went to today, Olimar, Rob and MK dominated in numbers, but Snake was only here and there.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Snake since day one, and even if he sucked, I'd still use him(so long as he's not as bad as Ganondorf... Parting was such sorrow...). He's just that great of a character. He's also pretty cool to play.

HydroStorm

Smash Rookie
I think the smash bros noobs might play snake at first but he has a steep learning curve among most other characters, which will likely discourage most people. Still there will no doubt be a lot more snake players but not everyone will jump on a bandwagon.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Snake isn't the only top tier, and I seriously doubt that he's best in the game. There are other broken characters in brawl that are easier to pick up than snake.

renshai117

Smash Cadet
Snake isn't the only top tier, and I seriously doubt that he's best in the game. There are other broken characters in brawl that are easier to pick up than snake.
I have to agree with that. Snake is not the ultimate Brawler, and if he were, he would be closely trailed by characters who are really just as good. That being said, honestly, who gives a **** about the tier list? He's Solid f-ing Snake! Of COURSE everyone is going to play as him. If he lost a stock every two minutes because he was poisoned with Fox-Dye I'd still play with him (as long as the colonel screams SNAAAAKE! every time it happens :) )

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah man thats gonna piss me off. we're gonna have a whole mess of stupid genome soldiers.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I completely disagree, but even if your right do not see the big deal.

Snake is completely beatable and not broken. That is just my opinion though.
His meta game developed really early compared to others, and that is most of the reason he is doing well.

You can compare it to the first Melee tiers for an example, just follow the progress that the first high tiers characters made.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I completely disagree, but even if your right do not see the big deal.

Snake is completely beatable and not broken. That is just my opinion though.
His meta game developed really early compared to others, and that is most of the reason he is doing well.

You can compare it to the first Melee tiers for an example, just follow the progress that the first high tiers characters made.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_previous_tier_lists
^
Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach control the top 5 spots since 2002, and they just alternated since then until the final tier list you see today. This will probably be the same for brawl, and I can speculate the top 4-6 right now...and they will likely just alternate as well, because there's not nearly as much metagame to develop in brawl than in melee.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
According to some random thread in the Tact Discussion, Marth and Falco are still high tier so we may see the Melee generation again.

And Snake may have a sudden outburst, but due to his steep learning curve and unorthodox smashes I doubt he'll be as popular as Olimar/Wolf/Marth/Falco/MK considering they are the games "Pick up and play" characters

Ruuku

Smash Lord
According to some random thread in the Tact Discussion, Marth and Falco are still high tier so we may see the Melee generation again.

And Snake may have a sudden outburst, but due to his steep learning curve and unorthodox smashes I doubt he'll be as popular as Olimar/Wolf/Marth/Falco/MK considering they are the games "Pick up and play" characters
The funny thing is that it's the reason why I've been playing Snake since day one of Japanese release.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
I vowed to play Snake when I saw him on the first trailer. I didn't even know what his playing style was gonna be like. I chose to use him for who he is. A modern day stealth master. Now that I play him, I also like him for his playing style. Strategy. No other character has as much strategic options as Snake. Plus he's a modern day mix of Link and Sheik IMO. That's why I <3 Snake. Projectiles and stealth in one deadly package. :)

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you have the fear the Snake bandwagon. If people get good at Ice Climbers alternating throws, Snake has something to fear.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i play snake cause i fell in love with his downB the instant i pulled the trigger when my opponent was standing on it.

snake ftw. but i do hope theres not a big snake bandwagon, or one at all.

i prefer people not flooding us cause of snake being high tier.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
:ohwell:

Is that sarcasm? I can't tell.
yea i happen to big a rediculously huge fan of MGS owning pretty much all the games for all the consoles... except mgs2 on the xbox cuz I can't imagine playing mgs on an xbox

and I've been maining snake since the first day I played which was I believe... feb. 2

he was the only character I played as for the first 3 weeks of playing

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
That's because of a joke online where you see a guy and a girl talking, the girl dumps the guy and the guy retorts by putting on a bandana and screaming "ITS SHOWTIME!"

I'm trying to find said image but the internet sucks today.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Snake has to be one of the most technical characters in the game.

He's also a popular character with a lot of fans, an almost instant choice for any Playstation nut.

If there was going to be an influx of Snake players, you would have already seen it. People don't like to work hard to play good with a character. They'd rather play a high offense character that has lagless attacks and doesn't need to set up, or a character that can control the match with one button.

If you see a huge flood of Snake players you should be grateful. He's a hard character to master so that instantly kicks off any players who just want to run around with an overpowered noob cannon. People who can't learn his finer technical aspects will most likely chose another character also. That just leaves the dedicated players. If you have a bunch of dedicated players maining your character, chances are a lot of new techniques are going to be found and in turn you will get better as well.

If there is a flood, I will welcome it, Snake will always have competition though. Characters still give him trouble, there are more popular characters and much easier to play characters out there for Snake to knee in the face.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Its not going to be a big problem for snake users because of the high learning curve(I cant make the mortar slide yet xD).Also,n00bs hate Snakes smashes,so overral I think Snake its going to be ok.
Wolf on the other hand...

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
all you need to know is how to do tilts out of shield and grenade -> shield to be good with snake
Yeah really, his tilts are easy to use, but his specials take some time getting used to.

Side note, I beat another Snake today, he spammed mortar slide, while I didn't use it once, and still beat him. :D

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I definantly play Snake just cause he's does mortar slides... WEEEEEE

Though serously, I don't really remember why I started playing Snake. I played Samus, Marth, and Captain Falcon in Melee, tried them in Brawl and didn't like them as much. Tried the entire roster, and wound up with Snake, Rob, and Wolf. It's funny though, since those are all the characters my friends and family have trouble playing..

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I definantly play Snake just cause he's does mortar slides... WEEEEEE

Though serously, I don't really remember why I started playing Snake. I played Samus, Marth, and Captain Falcon in Melee, tried them in Brawl and didn't like them as much. Tried the entire roster, and wound up with Snake, Rob, and Wolf. It's funny though, since those are all the characters my friends and family have trouble playing..

And I did play Captain Falcon and Samus because nobody else played them (I favored Marth but quit after everyone started picking Marth up -_-).

napZzz

Smash Hero
I think the smash bros noobs might play snake at first but he has a steep learning curve among most other characters, which will likely discourage most people. Still there will no doubt be a lot more snake players but not everyone will jump on a bandwagon.
hes not like mk, wolf, or tl. he requires time, which means noobs will swarm to those cheap easy to use characters, not snake :)

MuBa

Smash Lord
I play as Snake because I love the Metal Gear Solid games and him being top tier material just makes it even better for me. Plus he isn't easy to master like......Wolf is.

So long story short Snake > all

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
If noobs swarm the easy to play ones, that means overall intelligent , patient ppl will take up snake. that shud be a good thing i guess. Or MGS fans.

still will be a bandwagon...but a smart one with a good deal of fanboys/gals lol.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The only true thing that makes Snake good in my mind is his ability to dash attack cancel into up smash. Which even though is easier for him to do then most it is still hard to pull of so even if everyone jumps on the "Snake bandwagon" all of low level player will not be able to do the dash attack cancel constantly.

Which is good, however because of the priority and the speed snake can cover with his dash attack cancel plus his moderate quick close range attacks he really seems to have no weakness.

Oh by the way Zamus is more technical then Snake

Peach>Zamus>Snake.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
CAN SOMEONE PLZ EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT MAKES SNAKE SO GOOD???

even the **** have him as a solid s-tier/top-tier character. i mean hes strong, but slow. but makes up for it with his projectiles. but isnt the entire snake strategy the 'pressure game'??? just barraging your opponent with crap until they slip up?

my problem is, sure it works now since we're all pretty new to the game having it only been out a few months, but eventually ppl will find a way to get avoid snake consistently. sure hes, good. great character even. but i just dont see how this strat or whatever it is makes him OMGGOD-TIER snake... wtf. someone plz explain intelligently.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
CAN SOMEONE PLZ EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT MAKES SNAKE SO GOOD???

even the **** have him as a solid s-tier/top-tier character. i mean hes strong, but slow. but makes up for it with his projectiles. but isnt the entire snake strategy the 'pressure game'??? just barraging your opponent with crap until they slip up?

my problem is, sure it works now since we're all pretty new to the game having it only been out a few months, but eventually ppl will find a way to get avoid snake consistently. sure hes, good. great character even. but i just dont see how this strat or whatever it is makes him OMGGOD-TIER snake... wtf. someone plz explain intelligently.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164582 <-- Intelligent explanation begins on page 1.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
Not really. There are tons of Snake players and he's currently ranked at the top. A lot of people are going to play him because he's just an all around good character and it probably going to be high if not top tier.

And the dash attack cancel really isn't hard at all. I did it on my first try and can do it consistently even though I don't main Snake. He doesn't require a lot of tech skill and mainly just takes smart playing. Compared to the learning curve on say Melee Ness or Melee Ice Climbers he's pathetically easy to learn. But in anycase who cares if you're on the "bandwagon" if you're winning?

Top Bottom