• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHERS UNITE! ... in Celebration. Brawl is Online, and I'm just paranoid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
This sort of IS a hopeless cause, unfortunately.

If Sora has not been allotted the time to enable online for smash, or has not already completed that aspect of it, the chances of it being included at this point are EXTREMELY unlikely. Nintendo wants this game out for the holidays, and has chosen an interesting release date (dec 3rd) which allows Sora some extra time for development and still manages to make this a hot item for Christmas time.

It is IMPERATIVE that Nintendo make a BIG BANG at Christmas time when Microsoft is hitting distributors with titles like Halo 3 and GTAIV. Smash will most likely not be delayed at ANY COST.

Sakurai, being the dedicated developer he is, will most likely be making sure that Smash is up to snuff at it's core more than anything else. The final three months or so before release will most likely be dedicated to balancing issues and debugging, leaving a mere 2.5 or so months to implement an online feature if they haven't already.

Hope instead that Online was one of the reasons Smash has been delayed as much as it has already.
With Prime 3, Galaxy and many other Wii games coming this holiday, Nintendo is bound to maske a splash thsi holiday with or without Brawl. Heck, if the Wii sales are off the charts by Novemeber Nintendo may decide that they can afford to delay Brawl for a few more months so some online functionality can be included.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Nintendo SAID if you look way back that Brawl would have online. They said they're doing everything possible. Stay thy doubts Smash fans; I'm sure they'll pull through.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i signed the petition yeah. And i commented with a highly standard paragraph, not that anyone will read it

Sariku

Smash Master
I read the first 2 paragraphs of this Thread. You put alot of effort into it, but sadly, its pointless. I can't recall it word for word, but Sakurai said in his First Website that Brawl will playable online, but he doesn't know how yet. Meaning it will be playable online, but he doesn't know if it will use friend codes, or random set up, or whatever. The biggest online game Nintendo had back then was Mario Kart DS, or some other DS Game. Which ever one, the Wii has to have much better Online play than that.

Also on the old site was a "How This Game Came To Be Made" section. It was a 3-4 page "document" of sorts, from Sakurai, to us. Some things he said in it was he had no clue at E3 that there was gonna be a Super Smash Bros. Game, so when Miyamoto announced it, it was a suprise to him too. Later Shigero asked to see Sakurai in his private hotel room, and asked him to make the next Smash game for the Wii. Sakurai stated word for word that "Mr. Miyamoto just wanted Super Smash Bros. Melee, but online. No new characters, stages, or anything." Sakurai said that that isn't Smash, Smash can't just be rehashed with Online. It must be something new.

So if you don't get what I said there, the new Smash game was built around Online play. Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if the Online mode for Brawl was better than Single Player, even Multiplayer.

They shouldn't have to reannounce it every E3, or every update. They are taking it that all vetran Smash fans already knew, and for the newer ones, it'll be a surpise.

Take that how you want it, but it is all true.

~ Sariku

Teben

Smash Apprentice
With Prime 3, Galaxy and many other Wii games coming this holiday, Nintendo is bound to maske a splash thsi holiday with or without Brawl. Heck, if the Wii sales are off the charts by November Nintendo may decide that they can afford to delay Brawl for a few more months so some online functionality can be included.
Perhaps with the potential exception of Galaxy, I'm willing to bet Smash will dwarf all other Nintendo based software come Christmas time. Melee was easily the best selling software on GameCube.

Furthermore, consider that although Prime and Galaxy will undoubtedly sell well, they must also sell enough to compete or idealistically outsell Halo, Madden, and GTA. Nintedo will NEED Brawl to do this.

But as someone just recently posted, I'm pretty sure Reggie or Iwata mentioned Smash as being online quite a long time ago now, so the potential for it being in Smash is really pretty high. I'm just saying that if it isn't, a delay would only hurt Nintendo in a way they can't really afford if they want to maintain their momentum. So you might as well not encourage it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I'll send an E-Mail I suppose, to make you happy, but the fact of the matter is, it's too late for Nintendo to change it if they haven't decided to do online yet.

I'm pretty confident it will be there, however.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I read the first 2 paragraphs of this Thread. You put alot of effort into it, but sadly, its pointless. I can't recall it word for word, but Sakurai said in his First Website that Brawl will playable online, but he doesn't know how yet. Meaning it will be playable online, but he doesn't know if it will use friend codes, or random set up, or whatever. The biggest online game Nintendo had back then was Mario Kart DS, or some other DS Game. Which ever one, the Wii has to have much better Online play than that.

Also on the old site was a "How This Game Came To Be Made" section. It was a 3-4 page "document" of sorts, from Sakurai, to us. Some things he said in it was he had no clue at E3 that there was gonna be a Super Smash Bros. Game, so when Miyamoto announced it, it was a suprise to him too. Later Shigero asked to see Sakurai in his private hotel room, and asked him to make the next Smash game for the Wii. Sakurai stated word for word that "Mr. Miyamoto just wanted Super Smash Bros. Melee, but online. No new characters, stages, or anything." Sakurai said that that isn't Smash, Smash can't just be rehashed with Online. It must be something new.

So if you don't get what I said there, the new Smash game was built around Online play. Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if the Online mode for Brawl was better than Single Player, even Multiplayer.

They shouldn't have to reannounce it every E3, or every update. They are taking it that all vetran Smash fans already knew, and for the newer ones, it'll be a surpise.

Take that how you want it, but it is all true.

~ Sariku
Noone questions that Brawl was originally intended to be an online game. The question is whether Nintendo still plans to do so. Am I getting all worked up over nothing? I hope so. But not talking about the online mode for their biggest game at their biggest press conferance with only months waya until relrease is just plain weird.

You ppl sure like drama.
I was going to say something, but the awesomeness of your sig has left me speechless.

Perhaps with the potential exception of Galaxy, I'm willing to bet Smash will dwarf all other Nintendo based software come Christmas time. Melee was easily the best selling software on GameCube.

Furthermore, consider that although Prime and Galaxy will undoubtedly sell well, they must also sell enough to compete or idealistically outsell Halo, Madden, and GTA. Nintedo will NEED Brawl to do this.

But as someone just recently posted, I'm pretty sure Reggie or Iwata mentioned Smash as being online quite a long time ago now, so the potential for it being in Smash is really pretty high. I'm just saying that if it isn't, a delay would only hurt Nintendo in a way they can't really afford if they want to maintain their momentum. So you might as well not encourage it.
The console war doesn't end with this holiday season you know. Nintendo is in this for the long haul, and if their killer app is less than killer it will hurt them in the long run far more than if it were MIA for the holiday rush.

And Nintendo has Madden for Wii. Along with Guitar Hero, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, The Sims, Sould Calibur Legends....

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
I just signed the petition. I have to say that you're correct in taking action. Although, I feel the need to point out something important. I've noticed that some comments are being left in regards to some that don't care about online or who don't feel the need to read the purpose of this thread. If you don't care about online....thats ok. Not everyone does, but the majority do. My point is that this is an important community. So, how does a community stay healthy? We support each other, thats how. Though you may not care, it is important to standup for the community and be heard. If not, what happens when it comes time that you need support and someone to standup for you? Well, the answer is simple....nothing. And dont complain, because you didn't make a stand, why you should expect any different for youself. That may sound harsh, but thats how it is. You don't to have to agree with this, just dont complain if you dont act.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I saw it. :)

People do change their minds, but your evidence is to large to ignore.

EDIT: @Sariku.Uchiha

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I stopped reading after the first couple of paragraphs, when you claim that Nintendo not confirming online play means there won't be any.

In an interview with Miyamoto, when he was asked about Brawl's online play, he said simply, that it is not his place to say. If it's not his place to say, do you really think that it would be Reggie's place to say it? Just as Miyamoto stated: all Brawl updates will be handled by Sakurai in his blog.

When he wants us to know more about online play, we'll know more about online play.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm not worried about Brawl having online or not, it probably will. How it functions is my worry. I don't want it to be all ranked games, and I don't want it to be all unranked games. It should consist of equal features/modes/options of both IMO, actually that should be everyone's opinion!

The reason Brawl's online wasn't announced IMO is one of a few reason:

1.Reggie wants to brag, brag, brag, brag, brag about other games, and he knows Brawl is the biggest.

2.The suspense! Nintendo wants us sweating bullets!

3.Reggie wants to focus on the 3rd party games, and rally the 3rd party support, since the 3rd parties will more than likely deciede who wins this gen.

4.Mario Kart was announced for the first time, with ONLINE!

5.We just got a release date, and a new character, so we'll probably get it in the next few months.

If we don't get any online detail by the end of this month, I'll be really worried, but I'm a little worried a little I guess. Good points Wiseguy, and I think rallying for online is proof that we want it, since it's already probably in Brawl, and Sakurai is using his masterful mindgame skills! I'll probably send that e-mail, just to be sure!

Also, I think even if Brawl didn't get online, we'd be p*****, and go on ranting about it to where Nintendo would be utterly forced. In other words, either it comes with Brawl, or a lame money stealing expansion pack like MGS3 Substinance (which server isn't even up anymore=:( I was gonna get it). And if it doesn't have online, we'll rally on Sakurai to the point to where us fans will pick up his car, and "force" him to sign a document, legally forcing him to make Brawl online.

My fears are how it will work, and if Brawl came out a year after Halo 2, it could have sold more than Halo 2, PERIOD! Between which sells more (Brawl or Halo 3) is anyones guess. On topic: I understand this thread, but i'm not sure if I'm ready to jump to extremes just yet Wiseguy. If we don't get online details by the end of July, I'll be going crazy. Also, (I just had a thought) since we saw the whole make your name thing, it didn't show the character screen. Maybe it has a online option=??? Just a thought, and my two (or three) cents. :)

-Johnknight1

Edit: Where do we sign the petition=???

Edit 2: Signed the petition, and I'm with you all the way Wiseguy! :)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I stopped reading after the first couple of paragraphs, when you claim that Nintendo not confirming online play means there won't be any.

In an interview with Miyamoto, when he was asked about Brawl's online play, he said simply, that it is not his place to say. If it's not his place to say, do you really think that it would be Reggie's place to say it? Just as Miyamoto stated: all Brawl updates will be handled by Sakurai in his blog.

When he wants us to know more about online play, we'll know more about online play.
Is that really what I said? Let's have a look see:

Obviously, Nintendo hasn't confirmed that Brawl WON'T be online, but I find it very, very odd that Nintendo is saying nil about what is widely considered to be the most anticipated feature in their most anticipated game. The conclusion drawn by many, including 1up.com > http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161020 is that the reason Nintendo hasn't been singing from the roof tops about Brawl's online mode is because there is no online mode to speak of. At the very least, Nintendo's silence on this matter at E3, and on Brawl in general, indicates that Nintendo is unclear whether Sakurai's team have time to include an online mode and still have the game completed this holiday season.
All I'm doing is pointing out that Nintendo's silence is cause to for concern, nothing more. Either way, I think Nintendo owes it to all the Wii owners out there to be absolutely clear on whether Brawl is online or not.

I'm not worried about Brawl having online or not, it probably will. How it functions is my worry. I don't want it to be all ranked games, and I don't want it to be all unranked games. It should consist of equal features/modes/options of both IMO, actually that should be everyone's opinion!

The reason Brawl's online wasn't announced IMO is one of a few reason:

1.Reggie wants to brag, brag, brag, brag, brag about other games, and he knows Brawl is the biggest.

2.The suspense! Nintendo wants us sweating bullets!

3.Reggie wants to focus on the 3rd party games, and rally the 3rd party support, since the 3rd parties will more than likely deciede who wins this gen.

4.Mario Kart was announced for the first time, with ONLINE!

5.We just got a release date, and a new character, so we'll probably get it in the next few months.

If we don't get any online detail by the end of this month, I'll be really worried, but I'm a little worried a little I guess. Good points Wiseguy, and I think rallying for online is proof that we want it, since it's already probably in Brawl, and Sakurai is using his masterful mindgame skills! I'll probably send that e-mail, just to be sure!

Also, I think even if Brawl didn't get online, we'd be p*****, and go on ranting about it to where Nintendo would be utterly forced. In other words, either it comes with Brawl, or a lame money stealing expansion pack like MGS3 Substinance (which server isn't even up anymore=:( I was gonna get it). And if it doesn't have online, we'll rally on Sakurai to the point to where us fans will pick up his car, and "force" him to sign a document, legally forcing him to make Brawl online.

My fears are how it will work, and if Brawl came out a year after Halo 2, it could have sold more than Halo 2, PERIOD! Between which sells more (Brawl or Halo 3) is anyones guess. On topic: I understand this thread, but i'm not sure if I'm ready to jump to extremes just yet Wiseguy. If we don't get online details by the end of July, I'll be going crazy. Also, (I just had a thought) since we saw the whole make your name thing, it didn't show the character screen. Maybe it has a online option=??? Just a thought, and my two (or three) cents. :)

-Johnknight1

Edit: Where do we sign the petition=???
Good points JK1, it's not like Nintendo had a ton of other online games to announce. They made a huge deal about how you can battle online in Pokemon Battle Revolution (whoop-de-do) and not even a mention of online play in Brawl? Sounds fishy to me...

Just follow the link to the petition and click on "Make signitutures".

Sariku

Smash Master
Is that really what I said? Let's have a look see:

All I'm doing is pointing out that Nintendo's silence is cause to for concern, nothing more. Either way, I think Nintendo owes it to all the Wii owners out there to be absolutely clear on whether Brawl is online or not.
Okay, its a cause for Concern. Wow. Big deal. They already confirmed it way back then, and did confirm it at E3, sorta. It was right after Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, which was right after an Online Game. So either Mario and Sonic will be Online, and So will Brawl, cause they are both in the Online games section. (Mario Kart was after Brawl, which will be ONline) Or Reggie is screwing with us.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We need to let our voices be heard, even though more than likely we'll have online. Just to show how much we want/need it. Wiseguy, since the online for most, if not all the Wii games is hosted on Gamespy servers, I'm assuming it will be free, but have advertisements. So everybody makes $$$ while we have fun! :) EVERYBODY wins, the advertisers, Nintendo (by not having to deal with online other than formatting), and Gamespy (by making most the money off advertisements).

Good points JK1, it's not like Nintendo had a ton of other online games to announce. They made a huge deal about how you can battle online in Pokemon Battle Revolution (whoop-de-do) and not even a mention of online play in Brawl? Sounds fishy to me...

Just follow the link to the petition and click on "Make signitutures".
I signed up, don't worry. Nintendo just doesn't want to obliterate their 3rd party support's online by having the press go insane on the biggest Wii title by far. But I find it strange they didn't announce it a day or so after that...maybe we'll learn on Monday or something. I find it fishy, but I have no idea what it means. Also, MP3 and Mario and Sonic have no scheduled or announced online as far as I know, and both will probably have at least some form of online features.

And I signed up, with no problems. Now for that e-mail...I need to find a sample e-mail to send or something. Then I'll send it. :) If I get a response, I'll post what I sent and the response on this thread, for sure! :)

Also, if Brawl doesn't have online, I'll use this as a threat! :laugh:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ehh...i guess i'll post here.

Nintendo and Sakurai have BOTH stated that Brawl will be online. Sakurai says there are a few hurdles, so things like an online ranking system won't be implemented.

my guess, Reggie already stated info on brawl and decided not to talk about it again and let Sakurai release it on the site. i wouldn't worry, online WILL be implemented

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Man, I'm watching the E3 Nintendo conference, and I see why you're worried Wiseguy. We got to hear that Dragon Quest, Mario Kart Wii, Fifa, Madden, etc. will have online, and no hint of Brawl. Although the only exception was when there were 8 multiplayer games on the background, Brawl was the one on the farthest right.

I'll definitely send that e-mail now, and I don't know what to think anymore. O, and Sakurai said IF there is online, he doesn't plan to have a ranking system, and although Reggie said Brawl would have online at last year's E3, Sakurai said that somethings might not be added to Brawl in Novemeber 2006. Hopefully I'm wrong, or Nintendo wants to have us by the b****! :laugh:

Edit: I have a idea for the online. How about the power ranks are up there, showing the best player in the world/certain regions! Sounds like a good idea to me, even though I made it, lol! :laugh:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
but it's nintendo's ULTIMATE multiplayer fest. why would they make smash for the Wii and not have online? that's like going to the grocery store to buy the sugariness of Cookie Crisp and then buying Bran Flakes

Florida

イーグランツ
Ah, you made a petition. Which I just signed. :)
Good thing this thread is getting a little more popular.

Supprt the cause! >.>
[/fanboyism]

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well...as mention plenty of times before, simply not talking about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In fact, all of this doubt because we might not get a feature that was reason this game was going to be made in the first that you people have allows him an update in which he could simply say "the game will have online play" and you'd love him because you were so worried about it. This fear of its absence has turned its unveiling into a surprise that they can ride on to boost hype in the near future.

Mindgames, people. MOTHER. ****ING. MINDGAMES.

Or maybe it's not in the game and they think that, on a whim, we could forget about it in the midst of updates that we come on here to complain about and degrade everyday because they don't bring us to tears out of awesomeness like something that couldn't possibly happen would. That something that was almost promised before and has become expected to the point of near required could just be dropped because we obviously know everything about the game as it happens and everyone in the company should be free to tell whatever they know about the game uncontrolled. That if it isn't at E3--which is merely a large influx (quantity wise) of the kind of stuff we hear all the time online--it won't be shown at a later date like stuff is all the time. That info about a game whose info has been released in a more peacemeal fashion than any other game I can remember wouldn't get two earthshattering elements discussed about in a day...or even a week...is completely unheard of. That a man notorious for keeping secrets would just stop against his will when he could keep it going for as long as possible...

It's probably in just as much jeopardy as it's always been. It was probably part of Mr. Sakurai and the Nintendo/HAL executive's agreement that he'd have complete control over the release of information and he simply doesn't want to talk about it yet. He could've said that "Oh...well there are more events down the line that'll have the focus of the press and the fans and we'll spread out the big'uns for those. For now we'll show a release date since that's what our guys have been seeing the people online wanting."

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
but it's nintendo's ULTIMATE multiplayer fest. why would they make smash for the Wii and not have online? that's like going to the grocery store to buy the sugariness of Cookie Crisp and then buying Bran Flakes
Well it could be a expansion pack, like MGS3: Snake Eeater's expansion, MGS3: Substinance=online and a few other features. That is what I worry about, along with the lack of the same amount of rank and unranked games options, modes, etc. And they want to win over 3rd party support, that is the key to winning next gen, and Nintendo is just begining to manage to pull it off! :)

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I petitioned, but hasn't Sakurai already made a statement more or less confirming online play on at least a very basic level?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
ATTENTION: Watch the E3 press conference again. Notice when he is recapping about online games, there is a video playing with all the online games. Guess what? Look at the right-most part of the video. Its Brawl.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
"Nintendo: Will the game take advantage of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, or can you explain if the game will be online?

Masahiro Sakurai: My plan is to include Wi-Fi Connection compatibility and online functionality. Actually one of the primary reasons the Super Smash Bros. game was created was that Nintendo staff both in the United States and in America [we assume he meant the US and Japan - Ed] said that when taking the home console online, the best title to do so would be Super Smash Bros. But, at the same time, I think it may be a lot of work for us to try to come up with a system that will allow four players to play simultaneously and try to find out who's number one. We're mainly focusing more along the lines of bringing lots of people in together to play simultaneously in perhaps some new and different ways."

I guess they're trying.. but...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
ATTENTION: Watch the E3 press conference again. Notice when he is recapping about online games, there is a video playing with all the online games. Guess what? Look at the right-most part of the video. Its Brawl.
Ya I noticed that, but all those games were multiplayer games. Sonic and Mario was there, along with some other game that isn't a online game. Also, I think Nintendo is just trying to suck up to the 3rd party developers, while they're using theior mindgames to have us hung by the b**** with suspense. Just a thought.

Also, I plan on sending the e-mail asking if Brawl will have online or not (and if it's confirmed), not merely stating I wish and hope there will be online in Brawl. Just thought I would and should throw that out there! :)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
So far all we get are updates on things we know. Whats next? A profile for Snake? Give me a break.
Man, you knew about Delfino Island, Bridge of Eldin and Smashville? Not to mention Assist Trophies? gg, man

And, @ Wiseguy...you're going to have some serious egg on your face when they confirm online in a couple weeks or something. :p Don't blow a gasket over e3. e3 is a joke anymore. And as Reggie said, in the next few weeks, our minds will be blown by new announcements. I'm not worried.

They didn't say anything about Brawl at e3 because they had better things to say. Nintendo isn't Sony; Nintendo isn't Microsoft; so they use their press conferences differently. Sony's entire 1.5 hour conference was trailer trailer trailer trailer...Nintendo is smart. They used it as a real press opportunity. Are they worried about us buying Brawl? No. They used it to expand their market. The fact that Reggie spent the first 15 minutes talking about how they are blowing away the "competition" says it all. Don't get your panties in a bunch because all they gave us at e3 Brawl-related was the release date. That's all we really needed to know. Nintendo was smart about their e3-use time. Divulging Brawl's online capabilities wouldn't have been a good use of time in their press conference.

Besides, I take him at his word: I believe they have some even better stuff in store for us in the near future...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
A lot of people tend to jump to conclusions and stuff out of fear of something going wrong. In the case of online play, Nintendo made such a large fuss about Brawl being online that if they don't implement it then they will get criticized by EVERY major gaming site/magazine and much worse, their consumers.

If anything, Nintendo is probably not yet ready to reveal information on Brawl's online play at the moment, and they didn't want to bring it up if they couldn't provide good details on it. They already promised it to us, so it would be a really bad idea to go back on their word.

Another thing, there is a possibility that Brawl won't be online in the beginning, but the Wii can recieve updates, so they might just don't want to announce that Brawl online still has a lot of kinks that might take months to work out post Brawl's release.

I'm just trying to get people to see that there are many *other* viable roads one can speculate on that aren't as pessimistic. Nintendo didn't mess up with SSB, or melee, so why do we all expect Nintendo to fail us this time around? Honestly, this is probably the most epic team Nintendo has put together so far, lets try to give them the benefit of the doubt for a change.

Elysium

Smash Lord
A lot of people tend to jump to conclusions and stuff out of fear of something going wrong. In the case of online play, Nintendo made such a large fuss about Brawl being online that if they don't implement it then they will get criticized by EVERY major gaming site/magazine and much worse, their consumers.
I totally agree there. Nintendo (hopefully) wont go back on their word.

Oh and of course I signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom