• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHERS UNITE! ... in Celebration. Brawl is Online, and I'm just paranoid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
same thing for me I don't get a lot better from beating those stupid comps on lv 9 I want to battle real people but my older brother don't like games and my friends don't own the game and are really bad at it however they're getting better but I still can beat them easy I'm searching for a big challenge but I may not go to a tourney from my parents
Exactly!!!!! Except my bros and buddies are pretty good. They still suck in compairson to me and the potential of true smash players though. My one bros, 15 now, is catching up cause he finally learned to wavedash and began maining characters he's naturally better with. I can't get any better in these circumstances for much longer (kill me or give me net)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Okay. But how would tourneys work on there? Would it be like a tourney on melee? and then what would we do if there were more than 64 players wanting to go in?
The tournament could be organized right here on smash boards. Individual matches could simply be squeduled for specific times and the contestants would find each other with friend codes.

By the way, we've just reached 366 signitures.

Ianthraxx

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, because I am a fan of your cause, but -- if they haven't got online working yet, 4 months away from release, it means they simply can't do it and no amount of signatures will fix that.

...unless they delay it to work harder, I guess. =\

Still, so my post wouldn't be entirely negative, I did sign the petition anyways. XD

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Wiseguy, I didn't realize that petition I showed you was trying to get Melee online. I overlooked it and thought it was about Brawl.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
No online tournament would ever be taken seriously. The results would mean nothing. Close matches will undoubtedly lead to disputes about lag causing one person' loss. The game is too fast for the Internet to handle reliably. Even if Brawl features online gameplay, you will be sorely disappointed.

historyisold is correct. Online play is not a pressing issue that will make or break Brawl. If it's there, great! If not, get over it and wait until the whole earth is laid with fiber optics.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
No online tournament would ever be taken seriously. The results would mean nothing. Close matches will undoubtedly lead to disputes about lag causing one person' loss. The game is too fast for the Internet to handle reliably. Even if Brawl features online gameplay, you will be sorely disappointed.

historyisold is correct. Online play is not a pressing issue that will make or break Brawl. If it's there, great! If not, get over it and wait until the whole earth is laid with fiber optics.
why dont u wait in see no one has any idea how laggy or not laggy it will be until they release the game..

PitIcarus

Smash Ace

Who cares about tournaments. I'm moreso excited for the Ladder League potential if online.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

That is where the term "No Johns" was coined in smash, except on Kaillera! :laugh: I'm sure it will have online, but I don't see it being the best. I'm hoping Brawl gets online, but Nintendo needs to get more serious about online, ways that even Microsoft hasn't. I don't see it being a good online game at first, but since the internet keeps getting faster and faster, and memory gets bigger and bigger [ie: 20 years ago we'd get 5 GigaBites, now we get 100 times that].

Advancements down the line could make it work, because Kaillera has SSB64 down pretty good [assuming you aren't playing someone 1,000 miles away on up]. That is why if there is a option, I'll almost always play closeby opponents. Like 50 miles or something, to seriously drop the lag. And hopefulyl we don't get as many Johns, n00bs, etc. as Halo online. That can be just plain, falt-out pathetic at times, when people don't STFU, and you face annoying people [giving you boring lectures on wierd stuff].

AS for the tourneies, we could use the Boards. We don't want random johns popping in and playing, but rather a more organized tournament and brackets. It wouldn't be too hard, as long as everything is organized.

Jackal478

Smash Ace
I've heard that online comes out sometime near fall, thats before 12-3, so we'll probably have the internet play they told us we'd have. Stop over-reacting over small details dude.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I am more than happy to be proven wrong. If Brawl has reliable, fast online play, I am all over it! Just considering my experience with the Internet, I foresee many-a-disconnects. >_<

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
BUMP! I gave my original post a facelift and a minor update, so give it a look see.

Wiseguy, I didn't realize that petition I showed you was trying to get Melee online. I overlooked it and thought it was about Brawl.
No worries.

People can do without online play. Really, they can.

However,
why does no one have faith in Nintendo?

Wait a bit and see. :]
I have faith, but I'm also worried about the POSSIBILITY that Nintendo will make a huge blunder.

Yes we could live without online, but not happily.

I'm not talking about "serious" tournaments. I'm talking about playing a none-formal tournament played just for fun.

Super Mario Strikers is just as fast paced as Smash, and that online works flawlessly. Seriously, there is no excuse not to include online. The Xbox 1 and Ps2 have been doing online in far more complex games for years.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Wrong, the amount of coding and frames that go into smash bros would be a problem with intermittent frame drops when playing with 4 people online.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I am more than happy to be proven wrong. If Brawl has reliable, fast online play, I am all over it! Just considering my experience with the Internet, I foresee many-a-disconnects. >_<
From wat everyone says on these boards, the people who have Mario Strikers Charged and play it online says it has little or no lag seemingly. Sure Brawl is higher in graphic quality, but Nintendo will put their best server in for Brawl, for sure. And glad to prove you wrong! :grin: Nintendo has Gamespy on their side to host their servers for Brawl possibly, so that's another big plus.

And Wiseguy, sent a new letter. Here's wat I sent in case anyone else wants a idea! ;)

Dear Nintendo of America,

As a diehard Super Smash Bros. fan, nothing would please me more then to play the upcoming mega hit Super Smash Bros. Brawl online. I have viewed nearly all of the Wii E3 videos, and while I was impressed by the library this year for the Wii and DS, one thing bugged me. When online games were mentioned, Brawl wasn't ever mentioned to be online compatible. Now with this new single player mode in "the World..." and "Subspace Emissary", I am really wondering and questioning if Brawl will have online.

It was originaly planned that Brawl would have online, but I now have my obvious doubts. I was wonder if you could confirm Brawl has or doesn't have online, or if you could at least confirm that it's a possibility. This all has confused me, and continues to confuse me, and if you could inform me somewhat on this matter, I would highly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

John"knight1" Watson
Hope that helps anyone in need of help, and you know I'm all for online. Anyways Wiseguy, I've rallied at least 10 or so people to sign the petition from my sig alone. So that really does help. And BTW, I got my clan to fully support this, and we're going for the win! AND I didn't just dig it, I DUGG IT! :) Smash online FTW!!!....

hopefully we'll get Melee online and SSB64 online down the road, but meah that's another story, another time, and another way for Nintendo to spoil us! :grin: Anyways, Wiseguy just know that Nintendo will reconize our fanbase, whether Brawl has online or not. Also, one of us could very well get a reply from Nintendo of America, they reply more often then Nintendo Power [or so I've heard <_<, plus Nintendo Power answers it in their mag...so ya]. :)

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
How about this, we have 400 signatures. So every1 who has signed their name, get 2 people you know who play ssbm to sign the petition as well. I am already going to get about 4 people to do it. I am also sending links to the thread to random smashers that i talk to over aim. That way we should be able to get 1000+ signatures easily. There are over 60k members on smashboards, together i think we can spread the word, peace out.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How about this, we have 400 signatures. So every1 who has signed their name, get 2 people you know who play ssbm to sign the petition as well. I am already going to get about 4 people to do it. I am also sending links to the thread to random smashers that i talk to over aim. That way we should be able to get 1000+ signatures easily. There are over 60k members on smashboards, together i think we can spread the word, peace out.
Good plan, to say the least! ^_^ I say that, plus spreading the word in general, plus having it as our sig would work. Also, tons of those accounts are 4chans or some variation of that. And most accounts are very inactive, if active at all recently. So I'd say 10,000 to 20,000 or around there, but other then that, you're right! :)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I just got your message...
no luck, damm, no wories though
Indeed. We'll just have to wait for NP's August issue.

i dugg it. or digged it. whatever.
Sweet! Dig is our biggest hope. Imagine in we could get several thousand hits...

From wat everyone says on these boards, the people who have Mario Strikers Charged and play it online says it has little or no lag seemingly. Sure Brawl is higher in graphic quality, but Nintendo will put their best server in for Brawl, for sure. And glad to prove you wrong! :grin: Nintendo has Gamespy on their side to host their servers for Brawl possibly, so that's another big plus.

And Wiseguy, sent a new letter. Here's wat I sent in case anyone else wants a idea! ;)

Hope that helps anyone in need of help, and you know I'm all for online. Anyways Wiseguy, I've rallied at least 10 or so people to sign the petition from my sig alone. So that really does help. And BTW, I got my clan to fully support this, and we're going for the win! AND I didn't just dig it, I DUGG IT! :) Smash online FTW!!!....

hopefully we'll get Melee online and SSB64 online down the road, but meah that's another story, another time, and another way for Nintendo to spoil us! :grin: Anyways, Wiseguy just know that Nintendo will reconize our fanbase, whether Brawl has online or not. Also, one of us could very well get a reply from Nintendo of America, they reply more often then Nintendo Power [or so I've heard <_<, plus Nintendo Power answers it in their mag...so ya]. :)

Thanks for the support JK. :) I really like the way you phrased your e-mail. Well done.

And John raises a good point. In any of you get a responce from Nintendo, be sure to post it here.

ok i signed the petition and emailed nintendo of america, but i doubt i will go to digg
Awww.... you see what you did? You made this puppy sad.

Look into his eyes and tell him you won't Digg the article.

Good point. If we could get a fraction of Smashboards users on board, we'd have the numbers we need. Spread the word people! E very signiture counts.

...Online WILL be in Brawl. They are just working out the kinks like any other game that was in production for online. =\
I really, really hope you are right.

yes, signed and fulfilled the updated junk
Thank you, sir. :)

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
And yet Super Mario Strikers has four players online. As do most DS online games....
This proves you do not have enough knowledge about data transfer to be having this discussion.

I never said online was impossible. I am sure they will have online. But to say it is no problem is silly. Having a game like this online is much different than any sports game/shooter.

Binx

Smash Master
Nice argument, I dont know if I would want to play it online though because even a few frames of lag would suck so much out of it... I dont want it to be the kind of game where the host has the advantage or I have to learn to misstime my attacks so they will be effective. It would be a nice feature for people who dont have human opponents but I probably will only play with RL people anyways.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
you all would be glad to know that theyre gonna talk about online VERY soon........

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
TGS, right? Yeah that event is going to be VERY important for the Smash community. I expect Nintendo will unveil to the world whether or not Brawl is online. For their saek (and all our sakes) it has BETTER be.
Dude, Nintendo's not going to TGS, or at least that's what I've read from a poster from the Official Online Discussion thread. To verify, take a look at this: http://www.gamestop.com/news/6175887.html?action=conver&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
TGS, right? Yeah that event is going to be VERY important for the Smash community. I expect Nintendo will unveil to the world whether or not Brawl is online. For their saek (and all our sakes) it has BETTER be.
Actually it was confirmed a couple weeks ago that Nintendo won't be at TGS. Look for the article on kotaku.

I just have a feeling it will be september. Reggie keeps saying there is something they are going to announce in september and won't give any details, but he always seems to bring it up not long after ssbb online is asked.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
No. Sorry.

I mean, if they have the time, it'd be nice to have online, but if it means that less effort is spent on the actual game...

Well, I'd rather have a really good game without than an okay game with online. That's what Halo is for.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
the game was announced online long ago... What is with all the speculation behind it being in jeopardy? it is key to remember, that Nintendo is at this point re-touching the waters of the online-console experience, and by the time of this iterations translation into gold, Nintendo will have a robust line-up of online games both 1st and 3rd party at its disposal.

Update on online coming soon, pertaining to the method of play. It should come no later than two weeks from now, I'd be surprised otherwise...

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
the game was announced online long ago... What is with all the speculation behind it being in jeopardy? it is key to remember, that Nintendo is at this point re-touching the waters of the online-console experience, and by the time of this iterations translation into gold, Nintendo will have a robust line-up of online games both 1st and 3rd party at its disposal.

Update on online coming soon, pertaining to the method of play. It should come no later than two weeks from now, I'd be surprised otherwise...
It was never confirmed online.

Back in 2006 Sakurai just mentioned one of the things he would like to do is have online, and that he would like it to push Wifi for the Wii.

Unfortunately we have had no mention since and ideas change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom