• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Under New Ownership

Smashboards-Future.png

Smashers,

After over a decade as it's steward, AlphaZealot AlphaZealot will be stepping down as the owner of Smashboards. As of June 1st, 2023, his company Xyelot, LLC has sold Smashboards to Equistellar Media, Inc, a company owned by myself which will serve as the business entity for Smashboards and Squidboards going forward.

As long time members of the Smash community, both myself and AlphaZealot understand the importance of Smashboards and the history contained here. Ensuring it's longevity and survival was one of the guiding reasons he acquired the site from MLG in 2012 and is the reason I have chosen now to do the same.

If not for his efforts, I can say with certainty Smashboards would not still be here today.

Before I go into any details on any changes to the site itself, I'd like to share Chris' thoughts as both he and Smashboards enter a new chapter.

------------------------------------------------------------​

AlphaZealot-Article.png

AlphaZealot AlphaZealot

Dear Smashboards Community,

After more than 10 years owning this passionate community, it’s time for me to move on so that I can focus on my career and soon to be growing family. I’d like to give a special thanks to all the moderators for nurturing the community these many years and keeping the site’s culture strong; without your support Smashboards would not be the special place that it is and new members would not be welcomed. And thank you, the Smashboards visitors, members, and premium members, who have kept this community alive for more than 20 years. Smashboards stands as one of the largest continually operating websites on the internet which is owed to the strength and history of the Smash community.

The new owner of Smashboards, effective June 1, 2023, is someone many of you know well – Warchamp7. Warchamp7 has been behind many of the sites upgrades and has been supporting the operations for nearly a decade – we first met during the late 2013 DDoS attacks and without his efforts we would not have gotten back online. With his expert advisement, we’ve maintained 99.999% uptime for over 8 years now and I know the site will be in good hands for the next 10 years with him looking over it.

Looking back – here are some milestones and numbers from this past decade:

• We Supported the launch of Smash Wii U, Smash 3DS, and Smash Ultimate and built new guides and character forums
  • We migrated from vBulletin to Xenforo and refreshed the Smashboards branding
  • We launched a news portal and added features like our top streams tab and events tab
  • We launched and maintained a ranking system (now archived) that saw 23,408 ranked players from 16,456 local events, 1,002,574 matches
  • We supported more than 150,000 new members who viewed the site more than 400 million times, contributed nearly 10 million posts of discussion, and browsed for more than 11 million hours
  • We provided thousands in sponsorships to events like The Big House, CEO, Combo Breaker, and streamers like VGBootcamp

It’s bittersweet to say goodbye. Looking back it was nearly 20 years ago I joined the Smashboards community – I was in high school and was just learning that Super Smash Brothers Melee could be played at a deeper level. I wouldn’t have my career without first having discovered Smashboards – this site introduced me to video game tournaments and invited exciting discussions around rulesets and tournament formats in the early days of esports. The Smash community will always hold a special place in my heart as a result – please be good and support one another as the community coming together has always been it’s greatest strength.

Thank you and it’s been an honor to look after the site this past decade.

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------​

As we look forward, I aim to explore ways to allow Smashboards to better serve the Smash community as it continues to grow and evolve. I don't have any specifics to share right now but stay tuned in the coming months.

All transfers and updates have already been made, so there will be no downtime for the site. In the immediate future, there is only one actual change that will be happening to the site for our Premium users. As Smashboards is now under a new business entity, Premium payments will have to be updated as there is no process for us to transfer them.

If you currently have Premium, you will keep it until the original end of it's cycle after which it will not auto-renew. If you would to keep your Premium subscription and continue to support the site afterwards, you will need to subscribe again once it expires.

We appreciate all of you who allow us to keep the site running with your support!

I am excited to see what the future of Smash has in store for us and I am eternally grateful for Chris' leadership for the site as well as his other countless contributions to the Smash scene as a whole. I hope you'll join me in expressing my gratitude to him and wishing him and his wife well as they soon embark on a new journey as parents!

Warchamp7

Comments

I wish you both the best, both AlphaZealot with his growing career and family and Warchamp7 with his new role as site owner. The efforts you worked towards in fostering this community have helped many of us find a place to belong here.

Top Bottom