• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Evolution (11-1, break)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
I'm sorry, can I make a quick change, please?

rosterevolutionsevenredo.png

Changed Lip to Saki.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
We are ready? We are the machines. Or not.
You've got 24 Hours, remember to say who you voted for and why in a post below! (There's a small delay on votes, btw)

Notifications:
@Louie G.
@ GreenReaperGod GreenReaperGod
@ Tepig2000 Tepig2000
@ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫
@ Starbound Starbound
@ Kon Kon
@ Golden Icarus Golden Icarus
@ Jakor Jakor
@ SmasherMaster SmasherMaster
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
@ Smasher 101 Smasher 101
@LumaOkami

New Rosters:
-Louie G.-

-GreenReaperGod-

-Tepig2000-

-ScatmansWorld25-

-ThatWasPeachy-

-Kon-

-Golden Icarus-

-Jakor-

-SmasherMaster-

-YoshiandToad-

-Smasher 101-

-LumaOkami-

ELIMINATION VII BEGINS NOW
YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO VOTE..ISH.

Last edited:

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
My new voting criteria: Over-Representation
Basically, the first 2 reps of a series count as 0 points, but you get 1 point for every additional rep of that series.
Louie G. = 10
GreenReaperGod = 10
Tepig2000 = 15
ScatmansWorld25 = 9
ThatWasPeachy = 10
Kon = 11
Golden Icarus = 9
Jakor = 9
SmasherMaster = 9
YoshiandToad = 11 (I think. This roster was much harder to do than the others)
Smasher 101 = 11
LumaOkami = 11

So my vote goes to Tepig2000 (mostly because of Rosalina and Toad, Dixie Kong and King K Rool, and 6 Pokemon reps)

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
To be exact, the poll stops at 6 PM Central Tomorrow. So it's like 27ish hours.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm pleased to announce everyone has at least one completely unique character this time round:

Louie G.: Muddy Mole, Lip
GreenReaperGod: Mach Rider
Tepig: Tetra
Scatmansworld: Robin
Peachy: Balloon Fighter and Chrom/Lucina
Kon: Dillon, Megaman
Golden Icarus: Duck Hunt Dog(my roster doesn't count during this)
Jakor: Black Shadow, Medusa
SmasherMaster: Giovanni, Mii
Smasher101: Saki
Luma: Lyn, Hades, Ghirahim.

So I guess I'll have to narrow it down to the ones with only one and work out which of them has the least merit. If you see I've missed a unique from yours, feel free to tell me; as I'll hold my vote off until tomorrow.

Singular uniques:
Tepig
Scatman'sworld
Golden Icarus
and
Smasher101 are in the DANGER ZONE for my vote.

YoshiandToad = 11 (I think. This roster was much harder to do than the others)
Sorry about that...my rosters are a bit chaotic and very rarely do the characters from the same series are lumped together. ;;

I'll do a breakdown here for the sake of your sanity if it helps:

Mario: 5 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad)
Zelda: 4 (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Vaati)
Pokemon: 4 (Pikachu, Meowth, Mewtwo, Blaziken)
DK: 3 (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong)
Kirby: 3 (Kirby, Dedede, Bandana Dee)
Starfox: 3 (Fox, Krystal, Wolf)
Fire Emblem: 3 (Anna, Ike, Roy)
Metroid: 2 (Samus, Ridley)
F-Zero: 2 (Falcon, Samurai Goroh)
Earthbound: 2 (Ness, Porky)
Kid Icarus: 1 (Pit)
Punch Out!!: 1 (Little Mac)
Yoshi: 1 (Yoshi)
Wario: 1 (Wario)
Pikmin: 1 (Olimar)
Golden Sun: 1 (Isaac)
Animal Crossing: 1 (Tom Nook)
Duck Hunt: 1 (Duck Hunt Dog)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I would choose between Scat and GoldenIcarus if I were you. Robin is popular here in Smashboards and Duck Hunt Dog is in your roster so it is not that unique.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Robin's popular? Doesn't seem like it, Chrom and Roy are usually the ones talk about the most around here.
He was popular for some days, we were having another Fire Emblem discussion and noticed Sakurai wanted unique characters, so everyone (including me) started including Robin in their prediction rosters because he is unique and is from Fire Emblem. But the Robin fever seems to have passed. He is still somewhat popular, kinda like Krystal-level around here.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Robin's popular? Doesn't seem like it, Chrom and Roy are usually the ones talk about the most around here.
I'm still not convinced either Chrom or Roy ARE popular on Smashboards in particular, just expected. Roy tends to get more hate than love and Chrom seems to be expected by more than he's loved by. Roy's seen as a useless Marth clone of yesteryear, only popular because he appeared in Melee and Chrom often gets labeled a useless Marth and Ike hybrid waiting to happen, and cited as only popular because recent.

Robin meanwhile is a darkhorse candidate who offers something we haven't seen from a FE Smasher thus far, and if there's one thing people love, it's darkhorse candidate with the potential to bring something slightly different to the table. I'm sure the the Bandana Dee supporters know what I'm talking about.

Robin, Duck Hunt Dog, Tetra or Saki...

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I'm still not convinced either Chrom or Roy ARE popular on Smashboards in particular, just expected. Roy tends to get more hate than love and Chrom seems to be expected by more than he's loved by. Roy's seen as a useless Marth clone of yesteryear, only popular because he appeared in Melee and Chrom often gets labeled a useless Marth and Ike hybrid waiting to happen, and cited as only popular because recent.

Robin meanwhile is a darkhorse candidate who offers something we haven't seen from a FE Smasher thus far, and if there's one thing people love, it's darkhorse candidate with the potential to bring something slightly different to the table. I'm sure the the Bandana Dee supporters know what I'm talking about.

Robin, Duck Hunt Dog, Tetra or Saki...
This. I understand what you're talking about 100%.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
So, it seems that what I support gets popular, since I've been supporting Robin for a really long time and it seems that Vaati's been picking up in some popularity recently.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
This time I decided to vote for who I personally think over or under-represented the most series. Basically I took just about every major series, picked a number or two that I think each series should currently have, and gave a point to every person who went over or under those numbers. When I'm done, I'll vote against the roster which has the most points.

Mario: 4-5

Donkey Kong: 3

Zelda: 4

Kirby: 3

Pokemon: 4-5

Fire Emblem: 2

Kid Icarus: 1-2

Animal Crossing: 1

Punch-Out!!: 1

(If a major series is not mentioned that means I don't think anyone over or under-represented it; apologies if I missed anything)

Point tally:

Louie G.: 0
GreenReaperGod: 1
Tepig 2000: 6
ScatmansWorld25: 0
Smasher 101: 0
ThatWasPeachy: 1
Kon: 0
GoldenIcarus: 0
Jakor: 3
SmasherMaster: 1
YoshiandToad: 1
LumaOkami: 5

Tepig gets my vote.

Note that if I do this again that some numbers will change as we get more slots.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
This time I decided to vote for who I personally think over or under-represented the most series. Basically I took just about every major series, picked a number or two that I think each series should currently have, and gave a point to every person who went over or under those numbers. When I'm done, I'll vote against the roster which has the most points.

Zelda: 4

(If a major series is not mentioned that means I don't think anyone over or under-represented it; apologies if I missed anything)

Point tally:

Louie G.: 0
GreenReaperGod: 1
Tepig 2000: 6
ScatmansWorld25: 0
Smasher 101: 0
ThatWasPeachy: 1
Kon: 0
GoldenIcarus: 0
Jakor: 3
SmasherMaster: 1
YoshiandToad: 1
LumaOkami: 5

Tepig gets my vote.

Note that if I do this again that some numbers will change as we get more slots.
That's an interesting way of rating things. I might actually use the same system when I give my vote, once I decide who I'm voting for.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
my voteing this time was depending on another veteran, ike
the people who didn't have him were:
scatmanworld25
thatwaspeachy
kon
so. . . to the RNG counter!
(seconds later)
came up a two, thatwaspeachy gets my vote

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
My way. These are the requirements in the judging for this round.
  • 5 Mario
  • 4 Pokemon
  • 3 DK
  • 3 Zelda
  • 3 Kirby
  • 2 Fire Emblem
  • 2 Star Fox
  • 2 Metroid
  • 1 Yoshi
  • 1 Wario
  • 1 F-Zero
  • 1 Mother
  • 1 Pikmin
  • 1 Animal Crossing
  • 1 Kid Icarus
  • 1 Punch Out
  • 4 Other Series (Any Series Not Listed Above)

Louie G.- 36/36
ScatmansWorld25- 36/36
ThatWasPeachy- 36/36
Golden Icarus- 36/36
Smasher 101- 36/36
GreenReaperGod- 35/36 (Missing 1 Punch Out character)
Kon-35/36 (Missing 1 Metroid character)
SmasherMaster- 35/36 (Missing 1 DK Character)
YoshiandToad- 34/36 (Missing 2 Other Series characters)
Jakor- 34/36 (Missing 1 Punch Out character and 1 Mario character)
LumaOkami- 33/36 (Missing 1 Punch Out Character, 1 DK Character, and 1 Metroid Character)
Tepig2000- 31/36 (Missing 1 Animal Crossing character and 4 Other Series)

Sorry Tepig, but you have no series that aren't listed above. Your roster focuses too much on the larger series, having the roster almost being 1/3 Marioverse.

The next round, I might split the other series category into multiple categories, being retro, new series and 3rd party.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm voting for Tepig for the same reasons as everyone else is: hyperinflation on the larger series.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So, it seems that what I support gets popular, since I've been supporting Robin for a really long time and it seems that Vaati's been picking up in some popularity recently.
Maybe you just have good taste.

I mean you've shown support for both Toad AND Meowth so...

ANYWAY here we go:

Tetra:
  • On the positive side; has appeared in more than one title, which is more than can be said for the others. She's also a major player in the games she appears in and a pivotal role in Wind Waker's Plot.
  • On the negative side; Tepig has a total of six Zelda characters(which is quite a lot) when you count Sheik, and presuming Toon Zelda isn't part of Tetra's moveset. If she were; that'd be four versions of Princess Zelda which is absolute overkill.

Robin:
  • On the positive side; The plot centric character in the most popular Fire Emblem game to date. Can offer more than just more swords with more lords. Can be female, which would be a first for Fire Emblem in Smash. Another saving grace for Robin is that the coat is recognizable, and Animal Crossing and Wii Fit Trainer are avatars(possibly both with gender swaps) which makes Robin seem more plausible than than the others.
  • On the negative; customizable nature means even the default Robin isn't as well known as Chrom or Lucina, both of whom have done cross promotional things with Monster Hunter which is flipping huge in Japan.

Duck Hunt Dog:

• On the positive side; The most famous retro ever. People remember Duck Hunt. People have PLAYED Duck Hunt. Takamaru and Lip are more popular here, but Duck Hunt Dog is the one people will genuinely recognize the world over. Also a lot of people want to beat him up, so there's that too.
  • On the negative side; His moveset is rather hard to pin down. Whilst Arcadenik has come up with a genuinely brilliant moveset, he's not the first character you'd consider as a fighter.
  • On the neutral side; I have him, so I obviously have a soft spot for him...but at the same time I have him, so it's not a totally unique choice(although Golden DID have him first so I can't exactly count this as a negative either; I'd be in the wrong for copying him!)

Saki:
  • On the positive side; New series, quite a popular Assist Trophy in Brawl, could have similar treatment to Little Mac. Has a lot of potential and moveset to work with.
  • On the negative side; Niche appeal, Sin and Punishment sales were not that great, pretty obscure compared to the others.
In the end I still couldn't decide(doh) so I asked my fiancée who hasn't really got an attachment to any of them just based on the pros and cons I wrote above. She decided that out of them all the one with the weakest pros was Duck Hunt Dog(which is a little damning considering he's also on MY roster and my most wanted retro).

So I'm sorry Golden Icarus, but you get my vote this time.(I think you'll be fine though judging by the way others have voted)

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
9 Hours till the poll closes.
We're currently in a tie, BTW.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I tried a new way for my voting.

I counted all the spots of series having at least 2 spots and this gives me a total score for every roster. The highest one shows to be the one who has the focus rather on expanding series than adding more series. However Smash is also about small franchises having only one rep.

Here's what I got:
Tepig2000: 33 (6 Super Mario, 6 Pokémon, 5 Zelda, 4 Kirby, 4 DK, 2 Metroid, 2 Star Fox, 2 Earthbound, 2 Fire Emblem)
YoshiandToad: 31 (5 Super Mario, 4 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 DK, 3 Star Fox, 3 Kirby, 2 F-Zero, 2 Earthbound, 2 Metroid, 3 Fire Emblem)
Jakor: 29 (4 Super Mario, 4 Pokémon, 4 DK, 3 Kirby, 3 Star Fox, 3 Zelda, 2 F-Zero, 2 Metroid, 2 Fire Emblem, 2 Kid Icarus)
ScatmansWorld25: 29 (5 Super Mario, 4 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 DK, 3 Kirby, 2 F-Zero, 2 Star Fox, 2 Fire Emblem, 2 Kid Icarus, 2 Metroid)
GreenReaperGod: 28 (5 Super Mario, 4 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 4 Kirby, 3 DK, 2 Star Fox, 2 Kid Icarus, 2 Fire Emblem, 2 Metroid)
Louie G.: 28 (5 Super Mario, 5 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 Kirby, 3 DK, 2 Metroid, 2 Star Fox, 2 Kid Icarus, 2 Fire Emblem)
LumaOkami: 28 (5 Super Mario, 5 Pokémon, 5 Zelda, 3 Kid Icarus, 3 Kirby, 3 Fire Emblem, 2 DK, 2 Star Fox)
GoldenIcarus: 27 (5 Super Mario, 4 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 DK, 3 Kirby, 2 Metroid, 2 Fire Emblem, 2 F-Zero, 2 Star Fox)
ThatWasPeachy: 27 (5 Super Mario, 5 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 Kirby, 3 DK, 3 Star Fox, 2 Fire Emblem, 2 Metroid)
Smasher101: 27 (5 Super Mario, 5 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 Kirby, 3 DK, 3 Star Fox, 2 Metroid, 2 Fire Emblem)
SmasherMaster: 27 (5 Super Mario, 5 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 Kirby, 2 DK, 2 Star Fox, 2 Metroid, 2 Earthbound, 2 Fire Emblem)
Kon: 25 (5 Super Mario, 5 Pokémon, 4 Zelda, 3 Kirby, 3 DK, 3 Star Fox, 2 Fire Emblem) (as you can see I even took a look at my roster and how far I stick to the criteria too ;) )

The advantage of this system is that I don't focus on which series you expand but rather look for a balance between expanding series and adding more series with only one rep. Therefore you can choose whoever you want as a rep for a franchise and you can even expand the series you want to expand while still having to respect a certain balance.

I could also have chosen the criteria who has no retro and still Tepig2000 would have been the one I would have had to vote for. Sorry dude, but the list above says one thing for sure. You're too focused on expanding series rather than adding series.

So I'll vote for Tepig because of this criteria this time.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Alright here we go, so I casted my vote on the person who's roster was the furthest away from the following criteria:

4-5 Mario (+1 Tepig)
4-5 Pokemon (+1 Tepig)
4 Zelda (+1 Tepig, LumaOkami, Jakor)
3-4 Kirby
2-3 Donkey Kong (+1 Tepig)
2-3 Star Fox
2 Metroid (+1 Kon, LumaOkami)
1-2 Fire Emblem (+1 YoshiandToad, LumaOkami)
1-2 F-Zero
1 Kid Icarus (+2 LumaOkami, +1 Jakor, Scatmansworld, GreenReaperGod, Louie G.)
1 Yoshi
1 Wario
1 Animal Crossing (+1 Tepig)
1 Mother (+1 Tepig, SmasherMaster, YoshiandToad)
1 Pikmin
1 Punch-Out!! (+1 Jakor, LumaOkami)
3-6 Other (+3 Tepig)

Who ever has the most points gets my vote.
Tepig2000=9
LumaOkami=6
Jakor=3
YoshiandToad=2
SmasherMaster=1
GreenReaperGod=1
Louie G.=1
ScatmansWorld25=1
Kon=1
Everyone Else=0

The numbers don't lie. Tepig, you get my vote this round.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I voted for Tepig this time around, mainly cause of over-representation of some series, at the expense of having no retro characters at all and very few new series. Also, I don't think Tetra or Waddle Dee deserve to get a spot before some more interesting or important characters.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

And the 7th is ended. Who is down? @ Tepig2000 Tepig2000 was eliminated after an early lead, ironically enough. I applaud your efforts and hope you return for next game.

Results
Answer Choices–
Responses–
-Louie G.
0%
-GreenReaperGod
0%
-Tepig2000
47.06%
-ScatmansWorld25
0%
-Smasher 101
0%
-ThatWasPeachy
5.88%
-Kon
0%
-GoldenIcarus
5.88%
-jakor
5.88%
-SmasherMaster
5.88%
-YoshiandToad
0%
-LumaOkami
29.41%
Total17

So, what's today's Limit? 43. And there's no special rule either. That's next round.

Notifications:
@Louie G.
@ GreenReaperGod GreenReaperGod
@ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫
@ Starbound Starbound
@ Kon Kon
@ Golden Icarus Golden Icarus
@ Jakor Jakor
@ SmasherMaster SmasherMaster
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
@ Smasher 101 Smasher 101
@LumaOkami

New Rosters:
-Louie G.-

-GreenReaperGod-

-ScatmansWorld25-

-ThatWasPeachy-

-Kon-

-Golden Icarus-

-Jakor-

-SmasherMaster-

-YoshiandToad-

-Smasher 101-

-LumaOkami-

BREAK VIII BEGINS NOW
YOU HAVE UNTIL WEDNESDAY EVENING TO POST YOUR 43 SLOT ROSTER.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

I added Ike, Lucas, Palutena and Toon Link. Aside from Lucario, Snake and Sonic, all of the Brawl veterans are here.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Feel like sharing my complete list of my criteria for that last round:

Wario: 1
Yoshi: 1
Legend of Zelda: 4
Metroid: 1-2
Star Fox: 2-3
Mother: 1-2
F-Zero: 1-2
Pikmin: 1

I almost added Retro/Historical and Other Series, but neither would have mattered. I will add them next time, though, and I'll edit a couple of these based on the number of slots.

With that out of the way:

rosterevolutioneight.png

Additions: Isaac, R.O.B., Sonic, Mega Man

edit: "omplete"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom