• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Creation Contest: Round 17: Swampasaur vs. Guybrush20X6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Blah, so I totally forgot to do my roster yesterday. Good news is my first match is near the end of the round! I'll finish that and send it off after this post, though I think I'll refrain from posting any detailed reasoning till my round since voting is underway.

First round! I'll just say off the bat I'm happy to start with two 49+random rosters. Perfect size for a SSB4 roster IMO. Also mildly amusing both players tossed their third party characters on the right-hand column. Anyways, let's analyze:

moneyfrenzy
First thing I'm looking for is cuts and it looks like Snake and Ike are gone: both are sensible, but losing two unique movesets (maybe preserving the latter in Chrom) is quite unfortunate. In terms of newbies, first thing that jumps out is Rayman, because I can't help but feel that's a really awkward choice. I'm also not sold on both Isaac and Shulk making it, but them's the breaks. Tetra inclusion is nice, and keeping Toon Link to faciliate it is nice as well. All other new inclusions are pretty non-controversial. Two nitpicks: organization feels a bit sloppy (ex: why Yoshi surrounded by villains and TL?), and I wish you'd made the borders uniformed or perhaps indicated unlockables. Overall: not bad, but could use work.

Swampasaur
Is that...no cuts? Definitely a plus in my book, as I think the Brawl roster is rock solid. Next, I see Roy returning over Chrom or Lucina, which IMO is a bad choice and unlikely to happen. Like money's, you also have both Isaac and Shulk included, which seems iffy. You do include Miis, which seems good, and leave out Pac-Man, which I don't agree with but seems reasonable enough. All other newcomers seem like standard fare. One final nitpick is placement, which like money is somewhat sloppy, especially with Mii just hanging out in the middle of the bottom row for no good reason. Overall: feels like a fairly safe roster that could use some tidying up.

Verdict - moneyfrenzy
Pretty tough first round! Both feel pretty even, so I ended up going by personal taste regarding LoZ and FE: I like that money included Tetra, and I think Swamp choosing Roy over an Awakening rep is slightly worse than money replacing Ike with Chrom. Given that, moneyfrenzy ends up winning by a hair.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Hey I edited my roster but all I did was clean it up so I didn't actually change anything major.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Same here. I am just going to edit the image to make the transformations more apparent. ...And add a random button. :laugh:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Swamp wins Round 1 34-9 and advances onto Round 2, while moneyfrenzy goes to the loser's bracket.

Next Match.

Guybrush20x6

vs

Groose

I'll let Swamp deal with changing the thread title and poll, though you can still post vote reasonings now and vote when the poll changes.

Starbound

Unfortunately, no. Rosters cannot be changed once the contest starting, otherwise it creates an unfair advantage.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't think either of these are likely, but Groose's is just way too unlikely to win. Dillon isn't getting in, and Tingle is hated by so many people. I also don't see Wolf getting cut, and I don't see Duck Hunt Dog getting in.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Is there room for one more?
Edited my original post with my entry. Did not want to post it right here, because I don't want to distract the voting with my roster.

I voted for Guybrush. Simply due to his organization. I couldn't really find any other dividing factor.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Both rosters had things I liked and didn't like. I voted for Guybrush, because despite it having no cuts and 2 DK newcomers, Tingle and Goroh just killed Groose's roster. Duck Hunt Dog is fine since there's probably another surprise character in this game, but those two heavily detracted from the roster. Props for a creative setup though.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Groose CANNOT lose!

*vote Groose*

May the power of light shine your way!

I like both rosters almost equally but i'm backing Groose :p.

Starbound

I voted for Groose because I liked that his roster tried to take some risks such as cutting Lucas and adding Tingle and Duck Hunt Dog.

Loved seeing two DK newcomers on Guybrush's roster though.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Two 45 rosters, leaving no room for a random space? I'd take off for it, but since they both have it...

Guybrush20x6
No cuts is nice, but leaves little room for newbies. To that end, feels odd including both Dixie and K. Rool, as well as not including a third FE character, both of which seem unlikely. I really dislike Shulk over Isaac, but oh well. Rest of the roster is very non-controversial. Overall: extremely safe roster, almost boringly so.

Groose
Looks like three cuts, hitting Toon Link, Lucas, and Wolf. Probably the most sensible cuts available, although Snake's still in there somehow despite being a cut-friendly roster. As for newbies, your choices are dipping pretty heavily into wishlist territory. Tingle, Dillon, Samurai Goroh, and Duck Hunt Dog? I could see one or two of those choices being justified, but taken together, it's difficult to swallow. Also another roster where Shulk beats out Isaac, which is unfortunate. Overall: dreaming a little bit too much there, Groose.

Verdict - Guybrush20x6
It's safe as all get out, but hey, at least he didn't cut Toon Link for Tingle. May not be an exciting roster, but it's a whole lot more plausible than Groose's, so Guybrush gets the nod.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
no cuts takes away a few points from Guybrush20x6. Groose is riskier roster. Tingle takes off 2, but offset by his three cuts.
Groose gets more points and and that's who I voted for.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Sorry, Groose, but you have Tingle. That's an instant 'no' for me.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
COURT IS NOW IN SES-
Oh, is there something wrong? You're saying I'm in the wrong courtroom?
Ah, you must have been expecting my older brother. I'm afraid he's off duty for today, and I'm not sure how I feel about him getting more days off than I do. Something seems rather fishy about that.
However that is for another time, as I was saying.
GUYBRUSH
Positives
1) You've added fan favorites (Shulk and Mewtwo) and the Elite Four, or so what my Brother calls them (King Lady Ridley Mac, was it?).
2) You chose to stick to a very realistic 45 character roster (50 Counting your transformations).
3) No Cuts are good in my book. Sakurai is very much against them and I doubt we will see any character getting left out in the actual full roster.
Neutral
1) Overall Nice Layout, but having Random just sticking out there makes it look weird. The color borders are pretty wonky too though.
2) You've decided against adding in a new Fire Emblem character. That is commendable in my eyes.
Negatives
1) Hmm... Dixie Kong and King K. Rool... I'm not sure how I feel about having Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. It seems like one or the other.
2) Hmm... your roster is very safe... I'm not sure how I feel about safe rosters. They seem like something Sakurai would want to avoid. This comes at price for having no cuts, as it leaves little room to improvise.

Final Thoughts
Your roster, while cut free, is far too safe for my tastes.

GROOSE
Positives
1) I see several fan favorites and the elite four you talk very highly about.
2) You chose to stick to a very realistic 45 character roster (50 Counting your transformations) as well.
3) I am a fan of your out of the ordinary choices, specfically Dillon and Tingle.
4) I do like that you chose to make the layout your own. It adds a lot of style to the roster.
Neutral
1) You also chose against another Fire Emblem character. Again, I see that as commendable.
2) I see you are breaking the norm again, but with Duck Hunt Dog over other retro characters. I am a fan of your unique choices present here, however Duck Hunt Dog is not a character I'm personally too fond of. But I'm not much against him either.
3) Cutting a second Link is something I am normally against, but if it is for Tingle I suppose I can live with it.
Negatives
1) I'm not sure how I feel about Wolf and Lucas getting cut. I would expect both characters to return safely into the next game.
2) I'm not sure how I feel about Samurai Goroh. I think adding him in is a lost cause sadly, it's too late for F-Zero to get another character. I would have much rather seen Lucas or Wolf staying than seeing Goroh enter the battlefield.

Final Thoughts
Your roster takes many risks and strives to be unique in comparison to the others in this competition. But with this uniqueness, it is in the cost of two characters I can see returning. Despite that, I am a fan of the character diversity.

THE VERDICT
Despite being the safer roster by every means possible, I feel that GuyBrushes' roster wouldn't be up to par with rosters in the previous game due to it's small character diversity and complete dependency on popular character suggestions. While Groose's roster is diverse enough to the point where it can actually satisfy me with the different type of characters added into the game and still have me hunger for more in the next title. Groose gets the edge in this matchup.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I feel like it needs to be reiterated that we are voting on likeliness. I don't think complaining about safeness makes any sense in within those parameters.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I feel like it needs to be reiterated that we are voting on likeliness. I don't think complaining about safeness makes any sense in within those parameters.
"The rosters will then be entered into a tournament bracket, and every two days, two rosters will face off against each other. Popular vote through you, the Smash Speculation community, will determine which roster moves onto the next round. You may use any reasoning of your choice to decide which you prefer, from characters to layout. There will be a losers bracket as well, so don't fret if your roster is eliminated early."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay, let's see...

GUYBRUSH20X6
+ Roster has no cuts, which is a plus for me.
+ Added both Dixie Kong and K. Rool.
+ A reasonable size of 45 slots.
- Lacking in the retro department.

GROOSE
+ A reasonable size of 45 slots.
+ Adds an F-Zero character, which I feel it should get.
- You cut some of my favourite characters. :c (Toon Link, Wolf, Lucas) I personally find Lucas and Wolf likely to stay.
- Duck Hunt Dog really killed the roster for me.... Sorry 'bout that.
- Lacking in organisation.

VERDICT:
GuyBrush is the clear winner for me. Groose roster takes risks with cuts and a few oddball choices, but the characters he used to replace the cuts are really unpopular compared to the ones they replaced.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
"The rosters will then be entered into a tournament bracket, and every two days, two rosters will face off against each other. Popular vote through you, the Smash Speculation community, will determine which roster moves onto the next round. You may use any reasoning of your choice to decide which you prefer, from characters to layout. There will be a losers bracket as well, so don't fret if your roster is eliminated early."
For the first tournament, your prediction roster.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Guybrush, because his roster may be boring and predictable, but he didn't cut Wolf and Lucas for Tingle and Samurai Goroh. Sorry Groose.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So it comes down to how much people like risks vs how much people love Lucas and Wolf.

Wonder if I should post this in the veteran support boards...

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
These rosters have much less in common than the previous two had. But let's start with the similarities. Both have 'safe' but appealing newcomers such as King K. Rool, Palutena and Little Mac. That's a plus for both rosters. Both don't replace Ike with a Fire Emblem newcomer, so that detracts points from both.
Guybrush's has no cuts, at the expense of less newcomers. The only newcomers that Guybrush has that Groose doesn't is Dixie Kong - I support Dixie Kong, so this is a plus for me.
Groose cuts Lucas, Toon Link and Wolf- a move that doesn't bother me, as cuts are necessary if it makes room for more worthy newcomers. But in this case, Groose's newcomers are not good decisions in my opinion, and therefore the cuts felt wrong. I've never cared for Dillon; I wouldn't mind him but he feels like a wasted spot. He's definitely no 'Nintendo All-star'. F-zero is over-represented in this roster - Captain Falcon is fine representing the series on his own, if you ask me. Duck Hunt Dug shows that Groose took more risks - Duck Hunt Dog would probably be an interesting character, so I'll buy it. Tingle I can stand by, but I honestly don't feel he is that necessary - but I'll give points for that too.
Overall, Guybrush's roster has no cuts, logical newcomer choices, but is very safe and predictable. It was also more pleasing visually, very neat and organized.
Groose's roster cut people at the expense of risky newcomers; but whether those newcomers are good decisions or not is questionable. I appreciate the risk-taking but some of the character choices are not good if you ask me.
Both rosters were really well done, but I definitely lean towards Guybrush's roster. I'd be very satisfied if that was the final roster! It won in terms of newcomer choice, organization, and probability! (it could very well be the final roster...)

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Going to have to go with Groose , it takes more risks and that is some thing Sakurai is known for doing , i just over all think it works really well , what with the cuts and all ( I love Lucas, Toon Link and Wolf- but i am unsure of their return ) , but guybrush's has some good points too like two new dkc reps , but in the end i'm going with Groose.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Man, this is kind of a 180 from yesterday.

I like to vote for fun, weird, diverse rosters more than the ones that have no cuts and the characters pretty much everyone expects. Given that, I really wanted to cheer for Groosey, because even the format of the characters is different.

BUT
There's some choices he made that I just can't support. Wolf and Lucas both gone and instead we have Goroh, Duck Hunt Dog and TIngle? I .... ah, dammit, I just don't see it.

So in the end, even though I dislike how safe it is, I'm going with guybrushy's. Sorry Groosey, I really do appreciate the risks you took, but I can't bring myself to support them.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
POOH BEAR'S THINKING CORNER
Guybrush20X6:

+ No cuts whatsoever.
+ The Elite Four are present (Palutena, Ridley, King K. Rool and Little Mac)
+ Dixie Kong, Shulk and Mewtwo are also present.
- No "surprise" factor, it's playing safe.
- Lacking a retro character (Sakurai LOVES them)

Groose:
+ Plenty of characters not expected (Duck Hunt Dog, Goroh, Tingle, Dillon)
+ The Elite Four are present (Palutena, Ridley, King K. Rool and Little Mac)
+Plenty of wanted characters as well (Mewtwo and Shulk)
-Cuts of Toon Link, Wolf and Lucas for the characters above.

I eventually decided on voting for Guybrush20X6. Honestly, I would've voted for Groose IF he kept Toon Link, Wolf and Lucas and cut Goroh, Tingle and Dillon. Duck Hunt Dog was something that leered me towards him, but Guybrush's roster had the upper edge.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I have made a venn diagram.

Groose.

Edit: Wait, he cut Lucas? Ok that's a pretty stupid choice but I'm still going with Groose.

Edit2: Oh god he also has 5 Pokemon reps.
Alright I'm still going with Groose because I prefer creative additions over wanted ones, but it's a longshot.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Before i vote i would like to say that a MAJOR flaw in both rosters is more pokemon reps than mario.
I dont know if you guys are counting yoshi as a mario rep, because he is not a mario rep and will never be one.

So into the voting:
I think Groose barely won this one
I think that there will be cuts
in every game Sakurai has added two very unexpected characters
64: Jigglypuff and Ness (yes ness was unexcpected)
melee: game and watch and pichu
Brawl: pokemon trainer and Rob
well Groose is the only one with two unexcpected characters, so that goes to him
I didnt really like his organization, I see what you were trying to do, but it just doesnt feel right.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Groose's roster which I thought was more adventurous and interesting although I'm not really enthusiastic about Tingle and Samurai Goroh

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Before i vote i would like to say that a MAJOR flaw in both rosters is more pokemon reps than mario.
I dont know if you guys are counting yoshi as a mario rep, because he is not a mario rep and will never be one.
And why is that a problem at all? Pokemon had more characters than Mario in Brawl, just so you know. Mario had four, and Pokemon had six. The Trainer's Pokemon count as additional playable characters in Sakurai's eyes.

And I voted for Guybrush. While it may be safe, I like safety. I also enjoy not having cuts.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
voted for the guy with the brush, not the one who uses a brush to get a pompador.

AKA I voted for guybrush, in case I was unclear.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
And why is that a problem at all? Pokemon had more characters than Mario in Brawl, just so you know. Mario had four, and Pokemon had six. The Trainer's Pokemon count as additional playable characters in Sakurai's eyes.

And I voted for Guybrush. While it may be safe, I like safety. I also enjoy not having cuts.
i meant character slots

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I voted for Guybrush. Also when I posted my roster I noted that I forgot to put in Sheik, so I immediately edited it right after. But I don't haves access to a computer so I can't change the actual picture. Is that OK or do I have to stay without Sheik? Because I immediately changed it right after I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom