• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Creation Contest: Round 17: Swampasaur vs. Guybrush20X6

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I unfortunately couldn't enter because I don't have access to a computer. :urg:

Anyways, my vote goes to Swampasaur. No cuts is big plus for me, and his roster has just 3 characters different from mine. :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I unfortunately couldn't enter because I don't have access to a computer. :urg:

Anyways, my vote goes to Swampasaur. No cuts is big plus for me, and his roster has just 3 characters different from mine. :laugh:
Hey, after this tournament, we'll have more different ones!

You can enter one of those! :D

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Just gonna say this because it's important.

Please don't vote for yourself.

It may seem like I shouldn't have to say that, but I feel that that may become an issue later on.
You probably shouldn't even vote if it's your turn on the bracket.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You probably shouldn't even vote if it's your turn on the bracket.
Well. I'm not sure why you would vote for the OTHER person, so that part was kind of implied but yes.

Don't vote if your roster is currently competing.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Both rosters are quite similar. The main differences I can pinpoint are the third party characters and the Fire Emblem series. While I am not a hardcore Fire Emblem fan myself, I would have to say that Moneyfrenzy has the better representation for the series. Swampasaur's isn't bad, but it's just that three is a bit too much for me, and no newcomers is slightly disappointing. Moneyfrenzy kept with the tradition of having both Marth and whatever new protagonist is relevant, so points for him there.
Now for the third party characters. I appreciate the risk that Moneyfrenzy took but it is a little too much for me. I wholeheartedly support cutting Snake, and would also love to see the addition of Pac-man, but Ray-man is an addition I cannot overlook. Despite being a bit 'safe', Swampasaur's is comfortable and reasonable, so points for him there.
Both rosters share most of the other newcomers - the main exceptions being Moneyfrenzy's has Tetra and Swampasaur's has Miis. I really don't care for either, but... I prefer Miis. Tetra has always seemed like a really poor choice to me. So thats more points to Swampasaur.
Ultimately both rosters are ones that I would be happy to use in the final game. Additions such as Bowser Jr. really appeal to me. But in the end I prefer Swampasaur's roster. Despite still being a great roster, I disagree with Moneyfrenzy's third party selection and a few other characters, and the layout for Swampasaur's roster was much more polished compared to Moneyfrenzy's. My vote has been cast in favor of Swampasaur's roster.
Good job to both of you, though!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
In case people wanted to know why they got a vote or didn't, I'll explain my reasoning briefly.

Even though I think Chrom will replace Ike, I think Fire Emblem will have more than two reps, so that went to swampasaur. I can't see Rayman getting in the game. That went to swampasaur.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
To me, there were a few reasons as to who I chose:

-Both rosters (unsurprisingly) had the same characters I rooted for: K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Little Mac, Isaac and everyone else. Why does nobody support Toad though, eh?
-Swampasaur's roster had no cuts, as well as an addition of Roy, but it seemed too safe to me.
-Moneyfrenzy's roster included Pac-Man and Chrom, as well as Tetra, but Rayman seemed to do it for me, alongside the cuts of Solid Snake and Ike.

In the end, I chose Swamp's roster, even though it lacked in difference from other rosters

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Yeah looking back i really should not have put Rayman on the roster. I guess i got a little overexcited when i saw him and globox get the mario and lugi costumes for rayman legends.

Tetra was another character i should not have done, but i honestly had no idea what else to do for zelda, and i found it important for them to have an equal number of characters as mario and pokemon

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yeah looking back i really should not have put Rayman on the roster. I guess i got a little overexcited when i saw him and globox get the mario and lugi costumes for rayman legends.

Tetra was another character i should not have done, but i honestly had no idea what else to do for zelda, and i found it important for them to have an equal number of characters as mario and pokemon

Honestly, Rayman DOES have a chance, it's just nobody really expects him this time around.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I feel money's roster takes more risks than Swamp's. This is most notable with Money's inclusion of Tetra and Rayman - both seemingly unlikely characters. Personally, I prefer Tetra to be put alongside Toon Zelda. I don't see Rayman very likely but he is a possibility. They both share similar characteristics though which made it rather hard to choose. The Tetra factor kind of swayed my opinion in the end.

Both rosters were great but Swamp had more of what I want/expect to see in a roster.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I should've entered the contest. :<
Why didn't I think through. Oh well is it still possible to enter with 34 contestants while we still have the time if another joins?
Here's my roster incase someone else wants to join:

Groose

Smash Champion
OLD MAN SWAMP
Positives:
1) Fan Favorites--- You hit a solid number of fan favorites. The "Elite Four" (Goddess Little K. Rodley) is there, and you worked in Shulk and Isaac as well.
2) Bowser Jr.--- I like that you had the guts to put in a new Mario character, yet your roster doesn't seem to cater to just one series.
3) Miis--- They have a solid chance, and I liked that you had the guts to include them.

Neutral:
1) Takamaru--- "Obvious" Retro rep. Sakurai usually isn't so obvious in his decisions, and the Retro rep is the one spot I feel people can be creative in.
2) Incomplete Leak--- I liked how you added Miis... but I'm not sure how I feel about you leaving Pac-Man behind in the process.

Negatives:
1) Roster Size---My acceptable roster size is 40-48 characters. Yours just barely broke the upper limit of that.
2) Organization--- What the heck are Mii's doing just sitting in the middle of nowhere? Why isn't Takamaru with his fellow retros?
3) No Cuts--- I've said before and I'll say it once more. I expect a few cuts... Cuts are okay in a prediction roster.
4) Lack of Surprise--- Sakurai loves surprises. Sure, we have Wii Fit Trainer, but I do expect another character or two we don't consider to have much of a chance. Jr. is borderline surprising, but I crave more.

Final Thoughts: I'd definitely accept this roster and be very happy about it... but it doesn't feel quite like something Sakurai would make. Too many "hardcore" favorites and not enough surprise. Oh, and there aren't any cuts and the size is a bit bigger than I deem realistic.

MONEYFRENZY
Positives:
1) Fan Favorites--- You hit a solid number of fan favorites. The "Elite Four" (Goddess Little K. Rodley) is there, and you worked in Shulk and Isaac as well.
2) Bowser Jr.--- I like that you had the guts to put in a new Mario character, yet your roster doesn't seem to cater to just one series.

Neutral:
1) Organization--- It's a bit too typical for my liking, but it does get the job done.
2) Takamaru--- "Obvious" Retro rep. Sakurai usually isn't so obvious in his decisions, and the Retro rep is the one spot I feel people can be creative in.
3) Cuts--- I could have done with another cut or two... but really, the ones you cut were somewhat strange. Two completely unique characters? Really?
4) Tetra--- I like that she's somewhat surprising. She has an OK shot, but I don't think it's a great one.
5) Rayman--- It is possible. Ubisoft and Nintendo are at least on OK terms.

Negatives:
1) Roster Size---My acceptable roster size is 40-48 characters. Yours just barely broke the upper limit of that.
2) Lack of Surprise--- Sakurai loves surprises. Sure, we have Wii Fit Trainer, but I do expect another character or two we don't consider to have much of a chance. Jr. and Tetra are borderline surprising, but I crave more. Rayman is a third-party surprise... but I feel that surprises are more of a first-party thing.
3) Third Party Overload--- Actually, I see four third-parties as an acceptable upper limit. However, I expect to see Snake among them if that were to happen. Too large of a chunk of time would be spent on third parties if this roster were true.

Final Thoughts: I like that you went out there and made some cuts; that takes guts and will probably lose you many a supporter. Still, I'm not a big fan of the cuts you did make... and I'm certainly not a fan of third-party emphasis. Tetra is really the only "surprising" Nintendo character, but I don't think she's all that likely as a "surprise" because it would take a lot of planning to use her. I'd take this roster, but I don't really expect it to happen.

THE VERDICT
In the end, I voted Swampasaur's roster. There are a few differences, but the rosters are very similar. It basically boils down to this: (Tetra, Rayman, Pac-Man, and Chrom) vs (Roy, Ike, Snake, and Miis). It's close, but I give the edge to Swampasaur. I must issue this caveat, though: I don't really see either of these rosters as finalists.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Voted Money.
Sorry Swamp, but you had Roy.

Also, Swamp, can I enter the next one even if I don't have Roster Maker 3.whatever?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Vote Reasoning:
Moneyfrenzy:
+1 Bowser Jr.
+ 1 King K. Rool
+ 2 Tetra
+ 1 Ridley
+ 1 Chrom
+ 1 Palutena
+ 1 Shulk
+ 1 Isaac
+ 1 Takamaru
+ 1 Mewtwo
+ 1 Little Mac
+ 1 Pac-Man
- 2 Rayman
+ 2 Cuts =
13 points

Swampasaur:
+ 1 Bowser Jr.
+ 1 King K. Rool
+ 1 Takamaru
+ 1 Ridley
+ 1 Palutena
+ 1 Mii
+ 1 Little Mac
+ 1 Mewtwo
+ 1 Roy
+ 1 Shulk
+ 1 Isaac
- 2 per opponent's cuts =
9 points

Winner = Moneyfrenzy
I hope I didn't make any counting errors.
Both rosters seem somewhat larger than I anticipate, so if one roster was smaller it would probably get more point for that, probably the difference in size between the rosters. I want realistic rosters, but I don't want safe rosters. I like people taking risks and willing to take the consequences of cutting possible people's favorite characters, so long as they are perceived at risk.

Edit: I'm thinking I am not taking enough points off for unlikely characters, so next round I'll probably take off more.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In the end, I voted Swamp. Rayman was too much of a deal-breaker for me, despite the fact that moneyfrenzy had Chrom.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Have to go with Swamp. The only things wrong with it for me are having Bowser Jr. over Toad (which both of them have so it doesn't matter) and the organization. Seriously, Captain Falcon looks really lonely up there! And having Mii just sit in the middle of the roster looks weird. I prefer to have it above the random slot

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Damn, I missed out. Ah well, I can enjoy voting and pay more attention for when the next one releases. :D

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Rayman and the lack of Snake and Ike did it for me on Money's roster. I voted for Swamp's roster.

I actually meant to add Snake to my roster, but I always seem to forget something about him while making rosters...

Groose

Smash Champion
That looked like it was fun. Totally going to do something like that for the next one that shows up.
The next one... is mine. I think I'll have to go Pheonix for it instead.

...or I'll just abstain from posting for the day. I already know I'm going to get mercilessly beatdown.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The next one... is mine. I think I'll have to go Pheonix for it instead.

...or I'll just abstain from posting for the day. I already know I'm going to get mercilessly beatdown.
Looks like you'll have to defend yourself for this case Mr. Wright.
Again.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Very close call, nearly a coin flip. Tetra and Chrom both in the same roster is a little sickening. I will go with Swamp's by just a slight, very slight margin.

D

Deleted member

The Legend of Zelda:

Monkey's roster is generally good, although I am doubtful of Tetra, especially without Toon Zelda. Swampasaur gets a slight edge for sticking with the ones we have.

Fire Emblem:

Swampasaur wins again. The problem I have with Monkey's roster is that it replaces Ike with Chrom. Chrom's inclusion itself is plausible, but I don't think he will end up replacing Ike; rather I see both of them together. Swampasaur has what I consider the most likely scenario; Marth, Ike and Roy.

Misc.:

I'm thinking we're only going to get one of Isaac or Shulk, not both, so I think both rosters should trim one of them off. Swampasaur wins again, however, because he features Mii's, which should be treated as confirmed due to the leak containing Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man. A roster is impossible if there is no sign of even one of Little Mac, Mii or Pac-Man in the roster.

Third-Parties:

This is the hard one:

Swampasaur's roster has three third-parties; which is a good amount. However, the roster does not have Pac-Man, who is confirmed due to the leak. If the roster had Pac-Man in place of Snake, this would be the most realistic third-party scenario.

Money has four third-party character, which is excessive but not totally impossible. It cuts Snake, who is honestly the only likely cut to be made. It also has Pac-Man, which is a plus. However, Rayman's inclusion is a big no-no since there just isn't enough going for him to be a remotely possible contender.

So I give this to Swampasaur.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Question. When will each round end exactly? Just after a day, or after a certain no. of votes?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay we'll make this a daily thing.

The round will end at 12am MST/11pm PST/2am EST

Groose

Smash Champion
So... by the time I wake up in the morning, it will be pretty clear who is going to win my match.

Well, Guybrush, best of luck to ya!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Wish I knew about this before the sign-ups were finished, voted for Swamp, since he didn't replace Ike with Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom