• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Creation Contest: Round 17: Swampasaur vs. Guybrush20X6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Edited my original post so it has led roster. Don't feel free to stare at it. I Charge by the hour :grin:.

Groose

Smash Champion
EDIT: Roster has remained the same, but I've added the spoiler tag to give a brief breakdown and explain my reasoning.

I'll post my roster here. It's been a work in progress for a while now. Keybladeguy's contest was just too soon for its reveal... but not should be a good time.

45 Characters (29 Starters, 16 Unlockable); (33 Veterans, 12 Newcomers)

CUTS: Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf were defeated by time constraints. They're possible for DLC, but will not be in the starting roster.

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Palutena
Samurai Goroh
Ridley (If deconfirmed, replace with Isaac)
Tingle
Dillon
Shulk
Little Mac
Duck Hunt Dog
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Villager

Returners:
Mewtwo

Decloning:
Ganondorf stays mostly the same as Brawl, but uses a sword for a few smashes and has a simple projectile.

Notes: Sakurai worked mostly to bring in new series, but he did add in a few fan-favorites to existing series. He chose the Duck Hunt Dog to revive as a retro over the likes of Takamaru and Mach Rider. He brought in Xenoblade's Shulk after seeing the power of Operation Rainfall; Little Mac was added for his popularity and the novelty of a punching-driven character. Dillon rounds out the new series newcomers because his neat design enabled a creative playstyle; promotion was also considered.

King K. Rool and Dixie were both considered, but Dixie's low priority led to her exclusion. Palutena was one of the first characters added; Sakurai had ideas left in his head from creating Uprising. Samurai Goroh made the cut because Sakurai felt his inclusion was well overdue; Tingle was given the green light because he was relatively simple to make and a "funny" inclusion.

Finally, Ridley was added to cater to core Smash fans of the Western audience. If it turns out that Sakurai felt his exclusion was impossible, he chose Isaac instead.

Metwtwo is back and is available from the start; his reveal was treated as a major promotional event. Lucario became an unlockable, but he still made the cut.

I'm rather proud of my organization on this one, and I think my picks are decent as well. I can't wait to see how it performs in the contest.

And yes, I still have Ridley on it. I still have hope. Even so, if he is deconfirmed, his spot will go to either Isaac. Not quite sure which one I would choose.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found this one in my imageshak. Can I enter it?

[COLLAPSE=45 char roster]

Notes

* 45 characters, 10 newcomers, no cuts
* King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, WFT and Villager are starters
* Dixie Kong, Megaman, Mewtwo and Shulk are unlockable

Reasons
* No new Mario characters because all the important ones are represented.
* Donkey Kong gets two new ones because both diverse it and the DK series has had a comeback since the Bongo games
* No new Zelda characters because I'm not putting in another single game character like Ghirham or Midna. Sheik is there to spice up Zelda.
* Shulk represents both an intresting gameplay style and a new series for Nintendo.
* Ridley because why not?
* Palutena because also why not?
* Little Mac because his Wii-make was awsome. Plus I'm interested in seeing how a boxer can work.
* Mewtwo returns taking Pokemon up to 5. This series has the most potential characters out f any game here and it's hard to narrow down.
* Sonic and snake included because no man or hog left behind.
[/collapse]

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Here's mine:

coolroster.png

If Ridley were to get deconfirmed, I would add Tingle in his place.

46 characters w/ no cuts.

Groose

Smash Champion
Why does everyone just use that lousy roster maker? Photoshop is obviously better.

Rostermaker is oh so easier.

I'm currently editing my entry to include a brief overview and explanation. My roster itself will not change; all edits will be placed in a spoiler tag.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So many people!

I love it!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh and I already have a Bash Sisters roster made from previously. I included a couple of male characters though. Kirby because I don't think gender is and issue for his species, Pikachu because it can be female and Pit to be the token guy and so he can express his disbelief at such a thing existing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just as an update, Swamp, I added a note at the bottom of my roster. It's...just a bit of clarification of something, haha.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

There is a logical explanation for everything:

-No veterans were cut. This involves those who are mostly picked on, including the Melee veteran Falco, Toon Link and Lucario (who both have major upcoming roles this year) and Pokemon Trainer (who is too unique an idea to just throw away.)
-All Melee veterans return! (Except Pichu. I mean, Sakurai even admitted Pichu was a joke character and wasn't even considered for Brawl). Young Link, Mewtwo and Roy are all back with retooled movesets, and Dr. Mario is an alternate costume for Mario.
-All previous starters from Brawl are starters once more. This time, the newest starters are all from new series, with the exception of a few. The 9 new starters are Mii, Takamaru, Little Mac, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Isaac, Toad, Chrom and Krystal. Each was chosen due to their popularity, moveset potential and use for promotion. All characters above bring in different crowds.
-The Forbidden 7 (minus Plusle and Minun) are present: Toon Zelda/Tetra AND Dixie Kong included.
-With the sole exception of third-parties and Shulk, all unlockables are from existing series. Many are there to expand on series with little representation, such as the characters from Kid Icarus, Yoshi's Island, Metroid and F-Zero.
-One of the main parts you're probably wondering about: 60 roster spots. Yes, a bit unlikely on my part, but do remember that there is a lot more space and time considering there is no mode like Subspace Emissary, it can happen. This amount has an equal amount: 30 starters and 30 unlockables. This not only enlarges the fun factor of DOUBLING the roster of your game, but it also really makes no need for DLC characters if there's a large enough roster.
-Several characters were on the roster at one point, but were removed. Originally Porky Minch was on the roster, but was replaced by Tom Nook. Saki Amamiya was replaced by Shulk, Bowser Junior by Paper Mario and Ghirahim replaced by Toon Zelda & Tetra. WarioWare was very close to gaining another character, but due to the variety of possible characters, none are included. Same goes for including Louie from Pikmin and Bandana Dee from Kirby.
-All of the main all-stars are now included, making it possible for Smash to expand on more retros and new IPs in the next game.
-Now, time for the third-parties: Sonic and Mega Man have already been confirmed. Snake should return, and in a unexpected move, 2 other characters are introduced: the starsend savior Geno, who due to his pre-Brawl popularity and dedicated fanbase gets in, and Pac-Man, who is the most iconic character who is not yet in the Smash Bros. series. Lloyd Irving already claimed this spot, but due to Pac-Man's icon stature, he was included instead. Sorry Lloyd, but the chomp-happy sphere is just to dang famous.

Anything I didn't cover I can explain if needed.

EDIT: I forgot to mention transforming characters. Yeah, ZSS, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are all in-game.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Here's my entry and stuff

- No cuts
- 12 newcomers: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, Chrom, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Shulk and Dillon
- Mewtwo's back
- Sheik, ZSS and the Trainer's Pokemon are all still there
(No actual pics of Chrom, Taka, Mach and Dillon as of now since they don't have model imports in Brawl yet.)

Groose

Smash Champion
So, how will the bracket be created? Will it be randomized, or will it be in some predictable pattern (Seed 1 vs Seed 32, Seed 2 vs Seed 31, etc.)?

Starbound

I'll be using a bracket generator, so it probably will be randomized.

Starbound

The rosters?

It's not a requirement but I would love it if you did.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
roster contest.png

Final Roster, barring any character reveals.
45 characters, with two transformation characters (Samus and Pokemon Trainer)
All newcomers have a green outline.
Explanations below:

Newcomers:
Dixie Kong: Dixie is chosen over K. Rool due to being planned in Brawl and easier to design (based of Diddy Kong, but not a clone).
Palutena: Palutena is added due to the prominence of KI in the initial reveal and its increase in status as a Nintendo franchise. Pit has a new Final Smash.
Little Mac: Little Mac is a new home console franchise representative. Little Mac is the most deserved character, especially with his Wii revival.
Lucina: Lucina is selected by IS suggestion as their character from Awakening, due to her prominence on the cover in releases such as the soundtrack and artbook. She is also possible more popular with the FE: Awakening fanbase, as the second most requested cosplayer in Japan. There are no official polls, but being with the Serenes Forest community, that feels like the case. She also was recently crowned champion of SF's FE:A Character Contest.
Takamaru: Takamaru is the retro rep chosen due to his connection to Nintendo EAD with a new redesign.
Mach Rider: Mach Rider is another retro rep chosen due to his awesomeness and Sakurai's love of his game, with a new redesign.
Lip: Lip is chosen due to rep puzzle gaming with a new redesign.
Matthew: Matthew is picked as a portable console franchise representative. He is from one of Nintendo's best selling non-represented franchises. Picked over Isaac because he is a snazzy dresser (according Arteen) and because Matthew is from the previous generation. To tell you the truth, I find Isaac and Matthew more less interchangeable.
Pokemon Trainer (new version): Kalos Trainer is referred to as Pokemon Trainer. Can be changed to male or female via the select screen. Pokemon are the Kalos Starters: Chespin (grass) is the 1st evolution Pokemon. Frogadier (water) is the 2nd evolution Pokemon. Fennekin's 3rd Evolution is the final pokemon (the fire type), and has not yet been revealed. Pictured is the second evolution Braixen. Shares many moves with the Kanto Starters with their respective types predecessors. I really do believe that the Pokemon Company values other generations being represented other generation 1. Generation 6 will be over a year old by the time Smash 4 is probably released.
Mega Man: Already revealed
Wii Fit Trainer: Already revealed
Villager: Already revealed

Returning Veteran:
Mewtwo: Mewtwo is chosen because of popularity as well as prominence in Generation 6. Mega Forms are his Final Smash. Mega Form X is triggered if the player holds down while in the Mega Evolution state, and Mega Form Y is triggered if the player holds up while in the Mega Evolution state. If neither action is done, the X Form comes out.

Cuts: Lucas(The removal of Dr. Mario proved that a cut does not mean your series gets a new rep), Lucario
My roster leaves out popular choices such as Ridley and King K. Rool. But I don't believe popularity is the sole deciding factor, and weighed other factors over their inclusion. The Ridley decision was in part based on the Pyrosphere stage. But I have left him off the roster previously. I try my best to make a roster that might happen, rather than just put the popular choices. Because we have been wrong before.
There was a conscious effort on my part to include more females. Along with WFT, the female roster has been about doubled.
Oh and I expect a smaller amount of roster additions than in Brawl. That is what Sakurai has said in the past. So at 11, I think that is a reasonable number.
Edit: 9/26 confirmation of Toon Link.

Starbound

Yeah it does. Thanks for telling me about it Groose!.

6 spots left!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
C'mon guys! Only six more slots.

Let's do this!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'll submit my bracket tomorrow night if there's still spots open by that point. Wish I could do it sooner, but I've got class in the morning and little free time tomorrow. :/

Groose

Smash Champion
I have a feeling that this competition will be very interesting. At Rate Their Chances, we rate characters individually, but that's not how characters are really selected. They're selected in order to harmoniously balance the roster. There has to be an oddball or two thrown in there somewhere.

I'm kind of surprised, looking at the rosters of the competition. I'm not seeing Pac Man or Miis anywhere, despite the vast numbers of believers in the leak. Interesting...

Anywho, I'll shut up now. Gotta save my thoughts for the contest itself.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I'm kind of surprised, looking at the rosters of the competition. I'm not seeing Pac Man or Miis anywhere, despite the vast numbers of believers in the leak. Interesting...
Yeaaah, it only occurred to me right after submitting my own roster that I forgot to put Mii on it. I'm totally calling it that Pilotwings stage somehow ends up being the stage used for Miis if they are actually in.

Groose

Smash Champion
Yeaaah, it only occurred to me right after submitting my own roster that I forgot to put Mii on it. I'm totally calling it that Pilotwings stage somehow ends up being the stage used for Miis if they are actually in.

I wanted to include them... I just... didn't. We'll see if people beat our rosters down for not having Miis... I don't think they will, as not many seem to be including them.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I have a feeling that this competition will be very interesting. At Rate Their Chances, we rate characters individually, but that's not how characters are really selected. They're selected in order to harmoniously balance the roster. There has to be an oddball or two thrown in there somewhere.

Anywho, I'll shut up now. Gotta save my thoughts for the contest itself.

Wait... am I the only one who put Pac-Man and Miis?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I will enter for fun, my first pic is the roster with the starter characters, the second one is with secret characters:

Edited with explanation:

-) 32 Veterans.
-) 12 New Comers.
-) 1 "Phoenix Character" (bring back from the past).
-) Cuts: Toon Link, Lucario and Wolf.
-) 19 Classic series
-) 8 New series
-) 27 series represented in the game.

Total: 45 characters.

Decisions:
Why 45 characters?
My decision is because of the limitations of the 3DS and getting more characters than this number will be difficult to balance and work with it.

Why Tingle instead of Toon Link?
The first and main reason is because of his potential moveset (no more clone). Second, it has his following. Third, the inclusion of the stage Spirit Tracks where it shows Toon Link making it strange if he appear in the stage and in the fight. Fourth he has his own games making him like the Donkey Kong, Wario and Yoshi of Mario series but for Zelda series.

Why cut Toon Link, Lucario and Wolf?
Toon Link see reasons above. Lucario it was difficult decision he is interesting and unique but I feel if I need to choose between Mewtwo with new form or him probably will go with the first for popularity reasons (new movie, new type and highly requested to come back to the series) and finally Wolf, his moveset has to little changes from Fox and Falco and please no more Master Tanks (just joking... well not really) and other reason to consider there are other five series with only two characters, the only exceptions are Mario Bros, Zelda, Pokemon and Kirby, the first three because they are the Holy Trinity of Nintendo and need more representatives than other series (4 to be exactly) and Kirby because his three characters has different and unique movesets that make them pretty original and great to play.

Why Shulk?
He is a new character that represent the union between Nintendo and Monolith Soft, not only that, it was one of the best games to come to the Wii console (high popularity from east and west with a lot of reviews that praise the game as a gem of this generation), is a new franchise that seems to continue with more games (refer to "X" game for WiiU), finally he has a great move potential to add diversity to Smash.

Why Pacman?
Well for obvious reasons that Namco is working with Nintendo and is a Icon of the Videogame World (for the record he has appeared with Mario before in the arcade edition of Mario Kart some years ago).

Why not more characters for series like Mario Bros, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Star Fox and Earthbound?
I consider that the amount of characters that each series has is enough, if I start adding more characters from Mario, Zelda or Pokemon it will opaque the other characters from the different franchises and will unbalance the whole roster. Lets be honest is always great to see new faces and series in Smash.

Controversial decisions:
Who the F@#&K is Harry?
Ok first we need to learn a little bit of history, this character was from the game Teleroboxer that appear in 1995 for the Virtual Boy, the playstyle of it was like Punch Out!. The story is simple, Harry was created to fight against similar robots from around the world to become the champion (remember the movie Real Steel... yeah that one where Hugh Jackman controls a robot to box against other ones, well is the same story here instead of Atom is Harry and you are Hugh Jackman in the the game, sounds awesome, yeah, maybe... idk). So ok, you have explain the story and character but why choose to add him to the roster, it was a decision that I make seeing what Sakurai did with the previous games of the series, in SSB for N64 the obscure character from that game was Ness, for the SSBM for Gamecube it was Mr. Game & Watch and for SSBB for Wii it was ROB so seeing the pattern I get to the conclusion that the roster need a obscure character and at the same time make it like WTF who is it and from what console came, add that the only New IP from Nintendo for the Virtual Boy was this game, makes it one of the most strange and rare characters that can be included in the roster. Obviously this pick can be changed for personal preference some people will ask why don´t you change it for the Dog of Duck Hunt or maybe the Sheriff, I will say those choices are fine too.

Well this is for now, thanks for reading this and good luck.

.n_n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom