• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yes, Smashboards? I have a question.

(breathes in), Mewtwo.......is confirmed........as a playable character......

Tell me......how........how am I supposed to contain all this hype?...........HOW I ASK YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I know how to reply to posts by clicking on the 'reply' button in the lower right corner of their post. But how can I make multiple quotes in the same post, or just reply to part of a post?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I know how to reply to posts by clicking on the 'reply' button in the lower right corner of their post. But how can I make multiple quotes in the same post, or just reply to part of a post?
You can click "reply", which will take you to the bottom of the page, then you can click reply on another post therefore quoting both posts.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Since Smashboards doesn't have an actual "multi-quote" button, what you gotta do is just hit the "reply" button on a post to paste it into the text box, then hit reply on another post you wanna quote to add it to the text box as well. For instance, I clicked on the "reply" button on your post twice, making it as such:

If you wanna reply to a certain portion of a post, simply delete any text within the quote tags.

So for example:

Gatlin said:
My name is Gatlin and I like Nutella
If you wanted to respond only to my liking of Nutella, you'd just delete the "My name is Gatlin" part.

[quote=Gatlin]My name is Gatlin and I like Nutella[/quote]

making it as such:

Gatlin said:
I like Nutella

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Couple questions about the guides feature.

I've been wanting to turn a topic of mine into a proper guide. I know it's not possible to just turn it into a guide, but could a mod merge my thread with a guide? I don't want to copy/paste everything over.

And I'm also wondering if it's possible to mark a guide for two characters, since it's about Pit and Dark Pit's moves.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Couple questions about the guides feature.

I've been wanting to turn a topic of mine into a proper guide. I know it's not possible to just turn it into a guide, but could a mod merge my thread with a guide? I don't want to copy/paste everything over.

And I'm also wondering if it's possible to mark a guide for two characters, since it's about Pit and Dark Pit's moves.
I would talk to the mod of the Pit/Dark Pit boards, I know they can probably redirect at the least between the two. also could help you out with the first thing.
Heres my Q:
Who do I talk to in order to claim a tag that was auto claimed by someone not active?
Very likely not unless it was an adbot. What's the account name you want?

Last edited:

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I would talk to the mod of the Pit/Dark Pit boards, I know they can probably redirect at the least between the two. also could help you out with the first thing.

Very likely not unless it was an adbot. What's the account name you want?
I want to claim the Greed tag but like I said it was autoclaimed by someone who hasn't been active since 2011.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I want to claim the Greed tag but like I said it was autoclaimed by someone who hasn't been active since 2011.
If it's an actual member and not an adbot, they have the claim to that tag regardless how active they are. I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can do about reversing/exchanging usernames. In addition, only Premium Members are able to request a username change

ndayday

BRoomer
What Venus said, it's just not very nice to take an account when it's been inactive for only 3 years. We don't prune accounts like some places.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
What Venus said, it's just not very nice to take an account when it's been inactive for only 3 years. We don't prune accounts like some places.
I only want the tag, not the account. I was told to ask a mod for help. I'm not asking for a username change. Its for tourney results.

ndayday

BRoomer
I only want the tag, not the account. I was told to ask a mod for help. I'm not asking for a username change. Its for tourney results.
I'm not sure what you mean then, since I don't think we can really do anything about that...like you mean you entered a tournament with a certain tag and now you want it changed?
the tournament is on Smashboards via Rankings I'd guess, then?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
How do I invite people to join my social thread? Do I just send them a link that says they're invited or do I have to do more?

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what you mean then, since I don't think we can really do anything about that...like you mean you entered a tournament with a certain tag and now you want it changed?
the tournament is on Smashboards via Rankings I'd guess, then?
I entered a tourney kith the tag Greed. When the results were posted I was gonna claim it but instead it was autoclaimed by a user with the n/me GreeD. Obviously this person wasnt the one in the tourney. I was. See where I'm getting? Tourney results show the tag and the user who the tag was claimed by. In this case the user didnt claim it themselves. I just want to know if someone can help seeing as I feel like someone else is taking my credit . If not atleast point me to someone who can.

ndayday

BRoomer
I entered a tourney kith the tag Greed. When the results were posted I was gonna claim it but instead it was autoclaimed by a user with the n/me GreeD. Obviously this person wasnt the one in the tourney. I was. See where I'm getting? Tourney results show the tag and the user who the tag was claimed by. In this case the user didnt claim it themselves. I just want to know if someone can help seeing as I feel like someone else is taking my credit . If not atleast point me to someone who can.
Alright, I'll get it taken care of for you, sorry I didn't quite get what you were saying at first.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How do I invite people to join my social thread? Do I just send them a link that says they're invited or do I have to do more?
Go to your main Social Forum page.
Click on either "Social Forum Members" or "Social Forum Moderators". This will take you to the members section.
Below "Social Forum Moderators" to the right hand column will be something called "Invite Member" with a text box. Just type a member you want to invite and the members name will appear.

Alternatively, you can send a mass PM to members you want to invite (notice: you can only include 10 users into a PM) with a link to the social group and title of your group. They can click the "Join Group" button to automatically join the group on their own accord. To demonstrate, I did just that and I am now a member of your group "Smash 4 Conspiracies". I hope that helps.

Though it appears people can post in your Social Group without becoming members. That probably discourages membership. You can make it so only members can post in your Social Group by going to "Social Forum Tools"
Then go to "Edit Social Forum" which will take you to a window where you can edit the name and description of the social forum. Below that is a list of Social Forum statuses which dictates who can see and post in the forum.
It is possible that your Social Forum is Public meaning anyone can view and post
I suggest setting it to Member which means anyone can view the forum but only members can post in it. That encourages people to joining the group in order to participate in discussion instead of just waltzing it, posting, and then not joining. If you are looking for an increase in membership, I would change it to "Members".

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Go to your main Social Forum page.
Click on either "Social Forum Members" or "Social Forum Moderators". This will take you to the members section.
Below "Social Forum Moderators" to the right hand column will be something called "Invite Member" with a text box. Just type a member you want to invite and the members name will appear.

Alternatively, you can send a mass PM to members you want to invite (notice: you can only include 10 users into a PM) with a link to the social group and title of your group. They can click the "Join Group" button to automatically join the group on their own accord. To demonstrate, I did just that and I am now a member of your group "Smash 4 Conspiracies". I hope that helps.

Though it appears people can post in your Social Group without becoming members. That probably discourages membership. You can make it so only members can post in your Social Group by going to "Social Forum Tools"
Then go to "Edit Social Forum" which will take you to a window where you can edit the name and description of the social forum. Below that is a list of Social Forum statuses which dictates who can see and post in the forum.
It is possible that your Social Forum is Public meaning anyone can view and post
I suggest setting it to Member which means anyone can view the forum but only members can post in it. That encourages people to joining the group in order to participate in discussion instead of just waltzing it, posting, and then not joining. If you are looking for an increase in membership, I would change it to "Members".
thank you

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Hey, sorry to be a bother but I'm about to make my signature and I noticed that your advertisement rules on here are quite strict, would it be okay to use the logo of a forum I run within my signature and make the image a click through link, or would that be against the rules? I'm not here to pull in members but it'd be nice if whilst I'm discussing and posting here perhaps some members get intrigued and take a look.

Thanks in advance.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey, sorry to be a bother but I'm about to make my signature and I noticed that your advertisement rules on here are quite strict, would it be okay to use the logo of a forum I run within my signature and make the image a click through link, or would that be against the rules? I'm not here to pull in members but it'd be nice if whilst I'm discussing and posting here perhaps some members get intrigued and take a look.

Thanks in advance.
Including Smash Bros.related websites that could be considered as "competition" is not allowed in signatures. Forums would be included in this. So I would suggest not including the link in your signature. However, you are free to include it as your website address which can be accessed in your User Control Panel under "Personal Details".

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Hello all,

I became a premium member last week and sent along a message to Virgilijus to make a name change. I haven't heard a response or anything. What should I do next? Or should I just continue to wait?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Hello all,

I became a premium member last week and sent along a message to Virgilijus to make a name change. I haven't heard a response or anything. What should I do next? Or should I just continue to wait?
Generally, he will do the name changes in batches. There usually is no response or anything; and one day your name will just be changed. Waiting is the best thing to do right now, it shouldn't be much longer.

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
How can I remove or edit a question in my post if I didn't set an end time for it?

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Generally, he will do the name changes in batches. There usually is no response or anything; and one day your name will just be changed. Waiting is the best thing to do right now, it shouldn't be much longer.
Thank you very much.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I know that I've seen tables used in posts here, and I think I have a slight understanding, but...

Can a table be made without the "Column #" as the headers, and if so, how do I do it?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I know that I've seen tables used in posts here, and I think I have a slight understanding, but...

Can a table be made without the "Column #" as the headers, and if so, how do I do it?
You can't eliminate the column #, but you can place your own headers below the first column by making your first row stand out, such as:

Fruits | Vegetables | Animals | Cartoon Characters
Orange | Carrot | Tiger | Garfield
Lime | Lettuce | Frog | Kermit
Blueberry | Eggplant | Peacock | Gonzo
And on the side as well:

Category/Color: | Fruits | Vegetables | Animals | Cartoon Characters Orange | Orange | Carrot | Tiger | Garfield
Green | Lime | Lettuce | Frog | Kermit
Blue | Blueberry | Eggplant | Peacock | Gonzo

mangoppr

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-2576-2564
I'm getting very irritated Trying to post a thread reintroducing myself. Can't find the button to start on end I really want smash friends

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
Category/Color: | Fruits | Vegetables | Animals | Cartoon Characters Orange | Orange | Carrot | Tiger | Garfield
Green | Lime | Lettuce | Frog | Kermit
Blue | Blueberry | Eggplant | Peacock | Gonzo
*cough, cough* Kermit and Gonzo are live-action puppets (usually).

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What happened to the befriending option/friends lists?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How can I remove or edit a question in my post if I didn't set an end time for it?
Go to your Poll and look for an "Edit" option. It should be in the right hand corner of the poll next to the title. When you go to edit, you can change the question, add another option, and edit the time for your poll. However, if this Edit option does not appear for you, please PM me the link and I can go about editing for you if you wish.

I'm getting very irritated Trying to post a thread reintroducing myself. Can't find the button to start on end I really want smash friends
At the top of the main "Welcome/Meet and Greet" page is a large button that says "Post New Thread". Input your thread title, type out your message in the text box, and then click "Create Thread"

What happened to the befriending option/friends lists?
It has been removed and "Followers" now take up the Friend spot. Your Friends list has been integrated into your "Followers" list.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
There probably isn't, but is there a quick spoiler button, kind of like the Link button? It's kind of bothersome to constantly type the code and I feel as if it's been in front of me this whole time.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but anyway

I'm getting an error using the Flash attachment uploader (same as this). It uploads 100%, then gives me the error message, so it's possibly some sort of permissions error. I looked around and found this on the Xenforo support forum, maybe it can help the site admin(s) fix the problem. For now switching off the Flash uploader works fine.

Using Firefox 33.1 on Windows 8.1. Flash player is up to date. It is specific to Smashboards though, I've tested on another Xenforo site and it works fine.

edit: it works on Chrome, funnily enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom