• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

tebby

Smash Cadet
can i stop receiving notifications when somebody replies to a thread that i commented in?

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Hello again, I'd like to know how to post links to sites, but with custom "titles". I'll use this quote as an example.

These links all go to YouTube videos, but the link description does not actually have the YouTube URL in it. I'd appreciate any help.
This is called hyperlinking. The option is on the post toolbar named "Link" (it's a chainlink) to the right of all your post color/font size options.
so you'll just write the text you want, highlight it and select the Link option, then put in the URL you want.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Hello again, I'd like to know how to post links to sites, but with custom "titles". I'll use this quote as an example.

These links all go to YouTube videos, but the link description does not actually have the YouTube URL in it. I'd appreciate any help.
[url=link goes here]custom text goes here[/url]

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
This is called hyperlinking. The option is on the post toolbar named "Link" (it's a chainlink) to the right of all your post color/font size options.
so you'll just write the text you want, highlight it and select the Link option, then put in the URL you want.
[url=link goes here]custom text goes here[/url]
Thank you very much!

tebby

Smash Cadet
is it looked down upon here to just quote a post that you agree opposed to just liking it or actually replying?

Last edited:

Pirate Hops

Smash Rookie
Is there a list of all the abbreviated moves and other slang that smash players use anywhere here?

ndayday

BRoomer
Is there a list of all the abbreviated moves and other slang that smash players use anywhere here?
Not on the boards that I really know of and it depends game to game. I'd check out smashwiki or something.

to start though, all moves basically add the direction to the name of the move. Forward smash for example is fsmash. You can probably guess what dsmash and usmash would mean and by extension uthrow and fthrow, utilt and ftilt, etc.

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
How do setup my post background? I've been looking and I can't find anything. Its probably really simple and Im just an idiot.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
How do setup my post background? I've been looking and I can't find anything. Its probably really simple and Im just an idiot.
Highlight your name at the top of the screen, and select "Preferences"

Scroll down and find this:

and select which one you want it to be, either 3DS or Wii U Main.

then, go into "Personal Details" and select your main!:

then hit "Save Changes" and you're good to go.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
So, I already posted a thread on this a while back.
I got no help ;-;
Basically, I love Smash Bros, I also enjoy making movesets.
I have so far made 12 movesets.
But, I cannot post on anywhere except a few forums, like this one. It always says:
"You have insufficient privileges to post here."
Anybody know why?
I originally joined using facebook but then I confirmed my email...

WHY ISNT IT WORKING SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

ndayday

BRoomer
Where can I go to post and accept challenges here?
If you mean games with other people, there are threads in the 3DS sections and Online boards for matchmaking.
So, I already posted a thread on this a while back.
I got no help ;-;
Basically, I love Smash Bros, I also enjoy making movesets.
I have so far made 12 movesets.
But, I cannot post on anywhere except a few forums, like this one. It always says:
"You have insufficient privileges to post here."
Anybody know why?
I originally joined using facebook but then I confirmed my email...

WHY ISNT IT WORKING SOMEONE HELP PLEASE
I moved your post to this thread.

where are you trying to post?

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
These are the forums I cannot post on. I used to be able to post on less, but I think some have opened up to me now...?
3DS & Wii U Character Discussion
Character Discussion (Project M)
Brawl Character Discussion
Melee Character Discussion
Regional Zones

Arts and Entertainment
Announcements
News

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@ Magikarpow Magikarpow

I believe that you are able to post in those forums. None of them are post count-locked nor are they password locked. Is it possible for you to post or send myself or @ ndayday ndayday a screenshot of what happens when you try to access those sections?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I know why. All of those sections you listed do not allow new threads to be made by non-staff users but that doe snot mean you can't post. While you can't make threads in the Character sections (you have listed: Wii U & 3DS, P:M, Brawl, and Melee); you are able to make threads within the character specific sections.

i.e.
The P:M
http://smashboards.com/forums/character-discussion.327/
On the bottom of the page it says that "you do not have sufficient privileges to post here." I get the same messages as, while I am staff, I do not have jurisdiction there.

However, by clicking on a character section such as Bowser and entering the Bowser character specific section, will allow you to make threads as well as post in pre-existing threads. Going through your history, you posted in the 3DS section as it allows users to post directly onto that page. However, character pages only allow you to create threads or make posts within that character section same goes with Arts and Entertainment as well as Regional Zones. News and Announcements do not allow users to make threads in there but allow users to post by entering certain threads.

I hope that answers some questions. Creating a thread and posting in a thread are two different things.

Last edited:

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
How does the ranking system work on this site?

I want to know how to get started and aim for the top in the 3ds/wii u section before the top player gets too much of a head start.

How does one earn ranking points?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How does the ranking system work on this site?

I want to know how to get started and aim for the top in the 3ds/wii u section before the top player gets too much of a head start.

How does one earn ranking points?
http://smashboards.com/rankings/

Rankings are reflective of tournament placement. Do well at tournaments and your ranking increases but do poorly; it decreases. To find tournaments and events, I suggest checking out
http://smashboards.com/events/weekly

However, some of these events are not included in tournament results. For Glory 1v1 and W/L ratio are also not factored into ranking points.

Last edited:

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
http://smashboards.com/rankings/

Rankings are reflective of tournament placement. Do well at tournaments and your ranking increases but do poorly; it decreases. To find tournaments and events, I suggest checking out
http://smashboards.com/events/weekly

However, some of these events are not included in tournament results. For Glory 1v1 and W/L ratio are also not factored into ranking points.
Understood.
What determines whether or not a tournament will count towards one's ranking?
Is it possible for organized online tourneys to count or do only the events listed in the link you gave count?

TreK

Is "that guy"
I just bought my premium membership but I don't see the option to change my username. Where do I find it ?

edit : while I'm at it, do you guys plan to add PM, Melee and Brawl mains to the post backgrounds ? It's a cool feature, but I'd like to have the character from my main game instead :V

Last edited:

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
So, what determines whether or not a tournament will count towards one's ranking?
Is it possible for organized online tourneys to count or do only the events listed in the link you gave count?

ndayday

BRoomer
So, what determines whether or not a tournament will count towards one's ranking?
If it's added to the rankings thing, it'll count. I'm not sure if online tournaments count actually.
I just bought my premium membership but I don't see the option to change my username. Where do I find it ?

edit : while I'm at it, do you guys plan to add PM, Melee and Brawl mains to the post backgrounds ? It's a cool feature, but I'd like to have the character from my main game instead :V
PM @Virgilijus with the name you want and he'll change it for you. he does them in batches so expect it to take a week or so.
also I'm not sure, but that's a good suggestion imo.

@ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 can you answer these two pls?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
We haven't yet reached a decision regarding online tournaments and the rankings system.

There are no intentions of adding the other games to post background options at the moment.

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
@ Magikarpow Magikarpow

i.e.
The P:M
On the bottom of the page it says that "you do not have sufficient privileges to post here." I get the same messages as, while I am staff, I do not have jurisdiction there.

However, by clicking on a character section such as Bowser and entering the Bowser character specific section, will allow you to make threads as well as post in pre-existing threads. Going through your history, you posted in the 3DS section as it allows users to post directly onto that page. However, character pages only allow you to create threads or make posts within that character section same goes with Arts and Entertainment as well as Regional Zones. News and Announcements do not allow users to make threads in there but allow users to post by entering certain threads.

I hope that answers some questions. Creating a thread and posting in a thread are two different things.
Thank you. This does help a lot now that I better understand how the fourms work.
My one question now is- where do you post character suggestion forums? I know they go in "3DS & Wii U Character Discussions" but I don't want to post a Prince of Sable character suggestion in Bowser's forum...

Or a "Mr. You!" suggestion in Charizard's forum... etc

Last edited:

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
We haven't yet reached a decision regarding online tournaments and the rankings system.
Maybe online tourneys can be worth half the points that in person tourneys are. That would at least open up the rankings to those who don't have time to go to tourneys themselves or live too far away from the locations of said tourneys.

As a part-time working, full-time college student, I would be able attend more tourneys if they were held somewhere that isn't a 3 hour drive from my house. Online tourneys are the obvious alternative, but they don't contribute to my goal of trying to become one of the top Sm4sh players.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you. This does help a lot now that I better understand how the fourms work.
My one question now is- where do you post character suggestion forums? I know they go in "3DS & Wii U Character Discussions" but I don't want to post a Prince of Sable character suggestion in Bowser's forum...

Or a "Mr. You!" suggestion in Charizard's forum... etc
Character support threads or character-specific threads are no longer allowed in the Character Discussion thread since the roster has been completed. However, when/if character specific DLC is announced, we will open up the character submission/support threads again. At this time, that section is locked and new threads are banned from being made. That being said, there is already a character submission thread for Prince Sable that can be found by doing a "search function". Even if that character section was open for new threads, the rules of that board is that there can only be one submission thread per character request. That means that any additional Prince Sable threads would be locked since someone already created a Prince Sable thread.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Been on Smashboards for nearly half a year now, and I never knew how to do this:

How do you add spoiler tags to posts?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Been on Smashboards for nearly half a year now, and I never knew how to do this:

How do you add spoiler tags to posts?
Adding to @ ndayday ndayday 's response, you can also add a title for a spoiler box.

Code:
[spoiler]Text[/spoiler]
Becomes this:
Text

But you can also do this...
Code:
[spoiler="Title"]Text[/spoiler]
...for this:
Text

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Adding to @ ndayday ndayday 's response, you can also add a title for a spoiler box.

Code:
[spoiler]Text[/spoiler]
Becomes this:
Text

But you can also do this...
Code:
[spoiler="Title"]Text[/spoiler]
...for this:
Text
That's going to be useful for the next guide I'll make. Thanks!

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Character support threads or character-specific threads are no longer allowed in the Character Discussion thread since the roster has been completed. However, when/if character specific DLC is announced, we will open up the character submission/support threads again. At this time, that section is locked and new threads are banned from being made. That being said, there is already a character submission thread for Prince Sable that can be found by doing a "search function". Even if that character section was open for new threads, the rules of that board is that there can only be one submission thread per character request. That means that any additional Prince Sable threads would be locked since someone already created a Prince Sable thread.
i am dissapoint

smashboards why

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
i am dissapoint

smashboards why
They were closed as the time for character speculation is over. With the reveal of Mewtwo DLC, there is the chance for character DLC to be in the future but this is something that is unconfirmed and Mewtwo could possibly be a one-time thing. That being said, the character discussion section MINUS the confirmed playable characters are currently locked.

EDIT: The Character Discussion section has been opened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom