• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Letter to SSB4 Development team.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Think more like the 'Super Mario 128' event in Melee.

And as far as the Ratios go, I had it backwards on Defense, unfortunately.

I know for a fact in Cruel Melee (not Brawl), the Wireframes have:

3.00 Offense Ratio
1.50 Defense Ratio

This means that their attacks have 300% more power, while they fly half again as far when struck. I'm thinking the formula for overall power is something similar to:

(KB + DM) * OR * DR

where KB is KnockBack, DM is damage, and OR and DR are the Ratios. I don't know if that's the actual formula, but it's an educated guess. Someone who knows more about the game can figure it out for real, I'm sure.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Total knockback is determined by the damage dealt by the move, the move's knockback angle, the move's beginning knockback, the move's knockback growth, the enemy's weight, and the enemy's falling speed.

Offensive ratios, to my understanding, are a multiplier for every move's BKB, while defensive ratios are a multiplier for the character's weight.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I want Melee machanics back too, but like i said. Variety is needed, because not everyone prefers SSBM.
Make Melee mechanics an unlockable game mode, while Brawl mechanics remains the basic one. I see Brawl mechanics as the regular physics because Brawl is closer to what Sakurai intended Smash Bros to be.

Scar86

Smash Cadet
I Would love for the next smash brothers to have combat similar to melee. Brawl's felt much slower and clunkier.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I want Melee machanics back too, but like i said. Variety is needed, because not everyone prefers SSBM.
Make Melee mechanics an unlockable game mode, while Brawl mechanics remains the basic one. I see Brawl mechanics as the regular physics because Brawl is closer to what Sakurai intended Smash Bros to be.
Nobody would play it brawl style. In my experience there's only 2 groups of people that prefer any of ssbb's ******** changes. The first being casuals who never played melee competitively and should not be taken seriously on account of having little to no knowledge of either games' meta. The second being exclusive brawl players who know a lot about brawl and next to nothing of melee. M2k prefers melee and I believe he's the only one who's maintained a top position in both games.

:phone:

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Nobody would play it brawl style. In my experience there's only 2 groups of people that prefer any of ssbb's ******** changes. The first being casuals who never played melee competitively and should not be taken seriously on account of having little to no knowledge of either games' meta. The second being exclusive brawl players who know a lot about brawl and next to nothing of melee. M2k prefers melee and I believe he's the only one who's maintained a top position in both games.
Okay. You think Brawl is the worst game in the history of forever. Old news. Now would you stop exploding about it whenever someone mentions it? It doesn't provide to the discussion of "Option to Change the Physics." Half of your posts are just rants about how Brawl is a horrible game. All it does is derail every thread back to the stupid "Melee vs. Brawl" debate every time. Honestly, you do it so often with such a blind hatred that I'm starting to think you're just trolling.

I apologize for going off-topic. As for the discussion, I would love to be able to switch the physics. Better yet, have a slider that switches between the two extremes. Melee on one end, Brawl on the other. It should be available from the start, though, so people who prefer Melee can have just as much fun from the start as everyone else.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I think the slider option is bad simply because no one is ever play with the brawl physics. It's like if they made tripping a selectable option you turn on and off. No one wants it on so why is it in the game to begin with? I tried really hard to make this post not so ranty, just thought you should know.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I think the slider option is bad simply because no one is ever play with the brawl physics. It's like if they made tripping a selectable option you turn on and off. No one wants it on so why is it in the game to begin with? I tried really hard to make this post not so ranty, just thought you should know.

For one I'd turn it on. I'm not a fan of the slider myself because of tournament "legal play." Where would the slider be in that case? otherwise it's a great idea so peopel can choose between fast or slower. Just because Melee is preferred by "hardcore" smash fans doesn't mean people won't play Brawl style. I can assure you so many casual players would enjoy switching the physics to find they're favorite.
You're argument has a similar comparison to all the other menus other than group, solo, or music. Most people don't do coin shooter, use replays, play masterpieces, or check their records. I have to see the full potential of the game and what it lets me do. Don't assume "everyone will/won't do this." Many people will try every mode to get their full money's worth. That's atleast how a game should be played, regardless of how many of the modes are "necessary."

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
So by the looks of it a Melee to Brawl gameplay slider seems acceptable, now how about an unlockable "Broken Mode" where the game simulates the gameplay mechanics from SSB64. :troll:

Linnom

Smash Cadet
Okay. You think Brawl is the worst game in the history of forever. Old news. Now would you stop exploding about it whenever someone mentions it? It doesn't provide to the discussion of "Option to Change the Physics." Half of your posts are just rants about how Brawl is a horrible game. All it does is derail every thread back to the stupid "Melee vs. Brawl" debate every time. Honestly, you do it so often with such a blind hatred that I'm starting to think you're just trolling.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let me just say that a slider will never work. You have to ask yourself as to which speed will the gameplay be balanced on. Not only that, but it'll create more division than Brawl ever did.

All in all, I want to see a solid combat system that does not automatically favor certain characters and allows for a wide range of character playstyles and that the mechanics and everything else feel deliberately designed (looking at you, wavedash) while being easy to understand the gist of things.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I wouldn't mind a game speed slider. Was anyone upset about fast/slow-mo mode in Special Brawl/Melee? A speed slider would just give us more control over how fast/slow we want the game.

If you're really upset by the idea, you could just have it be a part of Special mode.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As an extra mode, I'm fine with it, but that's where it should be an nowhere else.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
The speed isn't what brawl is lacking. Melee runs at 60 fps and brawl at 46-48 I think. The floatyness and stale knockback just make matches last longer. Pm made the game fast just by fixing the dashdance and adding wavedashing.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I'm a Melee scrub just as much as the next guy, but just assuming that nobody would use the "Gameplay Mechanic Slider" for Brawl's physics is sorta breaking the fourth wall. Sakurai has stated it himself that he thought Melee's physics were out of control (yet at the same time he admitted that SSBM is the sharpest installment of the series, due to the game's fast-paced development schedule) and he has no intention of letting it take priority over Brawl's. So most logically speaking we'll be seeing a mechanic that resembles Brawl more in this installment, which is why i thought it would add variety to include a gameplay mechanic slider, so Melee scrubs like you and me can get back on stage.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Sakurai is an idiot. He says that melee is his favorite but he still wants to use the flawed brawl physics. Oh well, if he wants to make another piece of crap game that's his business. I'll just stick to melee.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You do realize that he made that statement years after Brawl came out. That's a retrospective view really.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The speed isn't what brawl is lacking. Melee runs at 60 fps and brawl at 46-48 I think. The floatyness and stale knockback just make matches last longer. Pm made the game fast just by fixing the dashdance and adding wavedashing.

Brawl runs at 60 fps. It's a videogame. They all do that by nature now and days because that's the standard for NTSC.

How anyone ever got the idea that it runs at 30 or 17 or 47 frames per second I'll never know.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Brawl runs at 60 fps. It's a videogame. They all do that by nature now and days because that's the standard for NTSC.

How anyone ever got the idea that it runs at 30 or 17 or 47 frames per second I'll never know.
Pikmin(Wii) runs at 30 FPS, except in menus. I think. Thats what Dolphin says it runs at, anyway.

Nintendo 64

Smash Rookie

This guy hate brawl so much that even can see a worst framerate in this game. :smirk:

Nintendo 64

Smash Rookie
Frame rate (also known as frame frequency) is the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. The term applies equally well to film and video cameras, computer graphics, and motion capture systems. Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS) and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz).

Vkrm

Smash Lord
My point was that the framerate is basically the same. The actual gameplay is to blame for the slow feel of brawl.

Top Bottom