• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: SEGA Superstars World Cup (Current Jobs: Amigo/Sakura/Chomp/Knuckles/Nei/Elenor movesets and collectables!)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sonic & Sega Superstars Soccer (North America)
Sega's Dream Team Football (Europe and South American)

The American one was chosen for alliteration's sake, while the European/South American one relies on Sega's non-Sonic creations being more popular in that territory. "Dream Team" was chosen because... well, what do you call a "team" of actors?

Stadium: Snail Maze (Master System)

This would be a retro, 8-bit stage. The only scenery other than the court is a giant SMS logo with "WELCOME TO THE" written above on both sides of the pitch-black room and lots of snails watching. The gimmick of this stage is pretty simple: walls appear around the stage to turn dribbling into a maze, you can kick the ball above a wall for some puzzling teamwork. The floor is dark blue with the exception of a giant, red Sega logo S illustrated on it. The walls are white with checkerboards on them like the Master System box arts.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Stadium: Home Bay (Ecco the Dolphin)
1645302256245.png

Regardless of whether my Dolphin boy makes it as a player or not, I think he should at least get a stadium. This stadium takes place on a rock formation jutting out of the ocean. Ecco's dolphin pod (and Ecco himself, should he not make the roster cut) can be seen jumping out of the water and performing tricks in the air. Occasionally, some Dolphins may perform low jumps overtop the playing field, which may block shots or collide with players.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #5 - The Midnight Channel

2DF6BA05-F795-4073-A1EF-223855DFC592.jpeg

I wanted to give something to one of our current players, and since Chie is our main Persona rep for this game, I can’t think of a more fitting location to adapt into a stadium than Persona 4’s Midnight Channel. It’s a mysterious television channel that only broadcasts at exactly midnight on a rainy night, showing footage of another person. Those who show up on the Midnight Channel turn up dead days later. Upon realizing that they have the power to enter the TV world and that someone else with that power has been using it for murder, Yu, Yosuke, and Chie decide to save the killer’s victims and find out who’s behind these series of bizarre murder incidents.

The stadium takes place in the Midnight Channel’s main hub area. Aesthetically, it looks close to how it did in Persona 4, albiet structured slightly differently to more closely resemble a soccer field. There really isn’t much in the way of hazards or gimmicks, except for one thing. You see, you can’t have a sports game without a guy in a mascot costume there to increase team spirit. And Persona 4 just so happens to have the perfect character for that role.

32E021DF-8308-431F-B92A-A6261C4021FD.png

That’s right, one of the Midnight Channel’s residents and ally of the investigation team Teddie will be making a bear-y special appearance on this stadium. You’d think that as a mascot, Teddie wouldn’t get his paws dirty and try to interfere with the game. And you’d be sorely mistaken for thinking that’s the case. To Teddie, the thought of not being able to join in on the fun is simply un-bear-able, so you bet he’s gonna try and spice things up. He’ll occasionally run out into the field and try to get the ball passed to him. Sometimes he’ll successfully get the ball and kick it towards whichever goal he’s closest to. Other times, he’ll fall flat on his face and block off the other players. Once Teddie has kicked the ball or fell once, he’ll return to the sidelines until he gets bored again.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #4: SEGA All-Stars Derby

I actually like the name "Superstars Soccer" for the alliterative appeal but I think it'd be a missed opportunity to not call this game a derby and the All-Stars moniker is only fitting if it's similar to the previous ones in spirit.

Job #5: Curien Mansion (The House of the Dead)

1645340636694.png

Curien Mansion is the perilous and labyrinthine giant of a medieval estate that the first THotD takes place in. It is filled to the brim with deadly creatures created by the mad Dr. Curien, waiting for their chance to strike at any uninvited guests These creatures are mostly mindless and violent, aside from the occasional flashes of intelligence just to obey their master's bloodthirsty and egotistical whims.

Therefore, they make perfect football fans.

The stadium is an open field with dead grasses, old limestone seats, and a murky sky above, with the mansion looming behind the seats. Creatures fill the stadium with the loud cheers you'd expect from a match like this, albeit politer as they are unable to form curse words. There are random splashes of mysterious liquid pools scattered around the field, which can slow down the players going thrıugh them.

Boss characters occasşonally make an appearance near the field: The Hermit climbs the stadium walls and may launch sticky webs, The Chariot stands near the midfield at hit players with an ax if they get too close and The Hanged Man has a chance to swoop in and grab at the ball while flying above the field. Only one of them can be present per halftime.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #4: SEGA Superstars World Cup
Simple name? Yeah. But I dunno, it's cute and feels somewhat grand. Plus you can call it SSWC and have the big prize of our tournament mode or management mode (if those are added) be the titular World Cup. The SSWC Championships. You get the idea.

Job #5: Lindbergh Base (Valkyria Chronicles 4)

War, they say, is hell. None know this better than Squad E, Claude Wallace's platoon in Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's why this army base has been outfitted with a vast training field perfect for combat lessons and recreation, and that includes using it to play the beautiful game! Members of the Edinburgh Army's 101st Division line the stands, excited to see some action and take a load off. However, even this field isn't totally safe, as it was previously used for weapon exercises, landmine testing, and is even in-range of the weapons storage area. Be careful your shot isn't blocked by a sneakily-hidden leftover mine, and make sure to get out of the way when the Grenadiers decide it's time for mortar practice!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That seems like it's half time on the name and stadiums. During this break let's take a look:

Let's take a look at Job #4's submissions first:

1. Sega Superstars Soccer submitted by @Darkonedagger
  2. SEGA Superstars Soccer Championship submitted by Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
  3. Region exclusive dual names Sonic & Sega Superstars Soccer (North America) and Sega's Dream Team Football (Europe and South America) submitted by Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario .
  4. SEGA All-Stars Derby submitted by osby osby
  5. SEGA Superstars World Cup submitted by Flyboy Flyboy
For this vote, please vote only for your favourite of the four options, but note you cannot vote for your own submission for this job.

--------------------------------

Now that's out of the way, we'll take a look at the locations Sonic, AiAi and Chie will be playing on as submitted in Job #5:
  1. Green Hill Zone, a classic option for Sonic's home stadium, featuring boost pads and iconic imagery, submitted by Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
  2. Snail Maze, a wonderful retro love letter to the Master System and it's original pack-in title Snail Maze, submitted by Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
  3. Home Bay, a stadium taking place on a tropical rocky island surrounded by a glistening blue sea with Ecco the Dolphin's pod swimming by, submitted by Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
  4. The Midnight Channel, a fun option for Chie's home stadium alongside guest appearances from Teddie, this one is to die for. Submitted by OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
  5. Curien Mansion, a creepy undead audience watches over the cast as they score goals and try not to get eaten, submitted by osby osby
  6. Lindbergh Base, a military camp stadium, designed for training purposes. Watch out for the landmines! Submitted by Flyboy Flyboy
For this one, please vote for your top 2 stages. You can vote for your own submission only in second place.

Okay, let's get back to the action! Get to voting!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 4: Sega Superstars Soccer. It's punchy, it's simple, and you wouldn't even need to change it region-to-region considering how games like Sensible Soccer are staples in EU regions.

Job 5:
1. The Midnight Channel (I love the concept and think the gimmick is REALLY fun and cute)
2. Snail Maze (Just a super, super cool deep cut)

D

Deleted member

Sega Superstars World Cup

1. Curien Mansion
2. The Midnight Channel

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Name: Sega Superstars Soccer

Courts:
  1. Midnight Channel
  2. Lindbergh Base

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Name: SEGA Superstars World Cup

Stadium:
  1. Snail Maze
  2. Curien Mansion

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll only be voting on the stadiums this time. I want the name untainted by myself:
  1. Snail Maze: Master System holds a special place in my heart as my first ever console. As the pack-in title for the system pre-Alex Kidd(which admittedly was before even my time) it's nice to see the less celebrated Master System getting some love.
  2. Curien Mansion: The second vote was a lot harder, but an audience filled with zombies holds great appeal.
Voting will end in around four hours, so get them in whilst you can!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
AAAAANNNNNND that's game folks!

Whilst I look back fondly on the days of the Master System and the simple enjoyment of guiding snails around a maze, let's take a look at the results:

Job #4:
I'm not going to draw this one out as apart from two votes for Sega Superstars Soccer it was a total landslide victory for the winner. Our new name is SEGA Superstars World Cup. Congratulations to Flyboy Flyboy !

Job #5:
The results are in, let's see those final scores:
Green Hill Zone: 1
Snail Maze: 6
Home Bay: 4
The Midnight Channel: 11
Curien Mansion: 8
Lindbergh Base: 3

Looks like we're all going to be staying up late past our bedtimes to watch The Midnight Channel, which doubles somewhat as Chie's home stadium! Congratulations to OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos on the very first stadium.

Try not to let Teddie steal the ball off you. He doesn't understand the rules. Which makes two of us. MOVING ON!

Job #6: Submit a moveset for AiAi
So our second player, the veteran AiAi, is lacking currently in moves, stats, funny monke animations and even a nickname.

Spread 30 points between the following stats:
  • Speed: How fast do they move up the pitch
  • Strength: Affects power of shots, power of tackles, etc
  • Defence: Higher defence means they're able to keep hold of the ball better even when being tackled.
  • Shooting: Affects accuracy of their goal shots
  • Passing: Higher passing skill means they'll pass the ball quicker and more accurately.
  • Skill: Affects the ease of stealing the ball off of opponents, the ability to block shots as goalkeeper or perform moves such as heading the ball with accuracy
And produce FOUR special moves for the skilled simian:
  1. Super-Star Move: A goal scoring power shot for use when striking.
    It will vary with each character, so descriptions are needed as to what the character does to unleash and if they have any unique effects. It can be blocked by the goalkeeper with good timing(although the window for this block is very slim), but timing the block wrong will cause the Goalkeeper to be blasted into the net alongside the ball, somehow counting as an additional goal. Players need to have the ball to perform a Super-Star move.

2. All-Star Move: A special ability the player can perform on the pitch.
    These are crazy special moves that the player can perform. These can basically do anything and everything but are largely designed to be used in the midfield or on defence depending on what you pick for your character. Players do not need to have the ball to perform an All-Star move.

3. Star-Burst Move: A quick evasive special move.
    These will allow players to either get away from opponents whilst they're in possession of the ball. These can be almost anything as long as it is an evasive action and can only be used whilst in possession of the ball. Unlike the other three special abilities, this one only drains a portion of your meter rather than the whole thing.

4. Goal-Star Move: A special ability for when in goal.
    This is obviously limited to the goalkeeper, but...everyone can be the goalkeeper in this game, so you'll need to include a heavy defensive Goal-Star move here. Goal-Star moves can even block Super-Star Moves completely, however the catch being that you only have one goalkeeper and there could be multiple strikers with fully maxed Superstar Meters ready, so use it wisely. Strikers may want to try and bait the Goalkeeper to use their Goal-Star Move early with a fake out before using their Super-Star move.
Lastly we're going to need 3 Goal Victories for him to show his celebrations, 3 sad loss animations for conceding a goal, a MVP animation for when he's the Monkey of the Match and a description of the kit he wears whilst on the field.

Following this job, we will take on another two jobs before Chie's turn, and they will both happen simultaneously tomorrow.

Now, roll out Super Monkey Ball fans and give this ball bound baboon basher some serious striking skills!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll start doing my write-up for AiAi but before that, I added the missing stuff to Sonic's moveset in the absence of any suggestions. My post is edited to reflect it but here are the new animations if you don't want to backtrack:

Goal Victories:
  1. Sonic sprints off-screen and runs back a couple of times before skidding to a stop and turning back to give a grinning thumbs-up. He’ll also say “Let’s do that again sometime!”
  2. Sonic runs up and grabs a Chaos Emerald to pose with it held between his fingers. If he used his Super-Star Move in the match, he will then juggle a few Emeralds. He’ll also say “Piece of cake!”
  3. Sonic spins and jumps high in the air, landing on the field with a windmill dance move. He ends his little show by proudly pointing himself with his thumb. He’ll also say “That was almost too easy!”

MVP: Sonic runs at high speed, causing a road sign with Dr. Eggman’s face on it to spin quickly, revealing his own logo when it stops. Sonic then jumps behind it, wagging his index finger, and wiggles his finger in a patronizing manner while smirking. He’ll also say “You’re too slow!” if there’s a big point difference.

Losing:
  1. Sonic falls to his knees and doubles over, saying “Nooo!” He will then punch the ground.
  2. Sonic grumpily kicks the ground and crosses his arms, pouting and avoiding facing the camera. He’ll also say “I will try that again!”
  3. Sonic’s eyes and arms open wide as he slowly falls down and falls flat on his back.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It looks like the AiAi moveset job will have to go into extra time. Job #6 is now an ongoing job.

We'll have to get to AiAi's moveset when we get it, as it's time for the next round.

Job #7: How many players per team?

We start off simple. The key to a good game of football is of course; team work, which I'm reliably informed, makes the dream work.

However, Football is nothing if not an inconsistent game, as the amount of players depends entirely on the ruleset you're using.

Mario Strikers and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games titles for example uses the 5-a-side rule.
But there's also 6-a-side and 7-a-side Football that play with slightly larger pitches.
Youth Football has 9 players per team as a recommended.
The actual World Cup Team number which has a whopping 11 players per team.

So...ya know...we need to decide on a player count per team.

For this job, please choose between:
  1. 5-A-Side
  2. 6-A-Side
  3. 7-A-Side
  4. 9-A-Side
  5. 11-A-Side
Job # 8: Submit a gameplay gimmick

Sega were known for bringing a little extremity and attitude to their titles, and whilst a regular Football title with Sonic, AiAi and Chie is likely still fun, we want to welcome our audience to the next level.

Submit one unique gameplay mechanic you'd love to see implemented. The winner will get to be a fun feature that'll define our Sega squad based ball striking simulator.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Gameplay mechanic: Tag-ins

I know nothing about sports, least of all soccer, but I think that it would be cool to drag in another teammate or someone who's benched to assist you. Kinda like strikers or assists in KOF 99 something idk.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job#6:

Character #02: AiAi

Media Nickname: The Banana-Loving Hero

Stats:
Speed: 5
Strength:6
Defense: 5
Shooting: 4
Passing: 5
Skill: 5

Super-Star Move: Comet Kick
AiAi frows his cute little brows to sho wit's time to get serious. He takes out a pair of boxing gloves and punches the ground with great force, launching himself up together with the ball. At the height of his ascend, he backflips and kicks a goal! A spray of rainbow glitters and confetti indicates the immense force behind his kick.

All-Star Move: Banana Shower
AiAi pulls out a hand of bananas and quickly gobbles it all for some quick energy boost. Due to how much potassium his diet already has, this does not have a discernible effect on his performance but the banana shells he throws all around the field may have one on other players.
This move creates ten banana peels at random places around AiAi, which can cause opponents to slip and fall, losing control of the ball. AiAi, on the other hand, only gets a slight speed boost from walking over them.

Star-Burst Move: Monkey Target
A “glider” that appears to be made of the two halves of a hamster ball sprouts from AiAi’s back, giving him a temporarily enabling him to fly close to the ground. AiAi will not be affected by terrain while performing this move but he’ll also be incapable of passing the ball to another teammate. This move is mainly used to disrupt opponents’ defense.

Goal-Star Move: Ei-Ei-Poo!
AiAi raises a hand and chants the magical spell “Ei-Ei-Poo” to summon his, well, monkey ball. Only a bigger this time. When used, the goalpost AiAi stands in will be encapsulated by a translucent barrier with a red tint on one half. A strong attack is required to break this impenetrable wall of simian sorcery but unless timed correctly, it might just trap AiAi inside together with an opponent.

Goal Victories:
  1. AiAi does a short dance where he makes waves by moving his arms up and down before he starts blowing kisses and waving to the audience.
  2. AiAi alternates between clapping and shaking his butt at his opponents.
  3. AiAi cheerfully yells “Yahoo!” and rises high into the air in a vortex of rainbow colors as he does in stage clear animations of Super Monkey Ball. He then falls back on where he was.
MVP:
AiAi runs across the field in marble and then jumps out of it, landing by a trophy surrounded by bananas. He tosses the trophy in the air with a gleeful cheer but then it falls and gets stuck to his head before he tries to remove it.

Losing:
  1. AiAi kicks a banana away and hunches over, moping.
  2. AiAi falls over and starts crying, rubbing his eyes with his fists.
  3. AiAi hugs his knees and turns his back to the audience, scratching the floor with a banana.
Kit:
AiAi's kit colors are based on his trademark shirt, being an orange base with white trim, with blueish cleats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job #7: 7-A-Side

I think 11-person teams are a bit too big for one player to control. Seven is the largest amount of individual variables the human mind can keep in mind at a time so it feels like a good amount of characters to have some variety without being unmanageable.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now we've got an entry from@osby , AiAi's job will remain open only until end of play today(around 8 hours remaining).

#Job 7: Amount of players
I agree 11 players is a bit too much.

I'm going to vote for 7 so we have an even amount of field players alongside the goalkeeper. Two strikers, two midfielders and two defenders? Sounds perfectly balanced.

#Job 8: Sponsors
Sponsors behave much like assist trophies, only you can assign them to your team before the match.

You can only use them once per game, but they can perform a whole host of abilities such as boosting your teams speed, giving them power armour that'll make them temporarily immune to tackles, boost their shooting power, changing the ball type, sending the opponent team temporarily to sleep, zapping the opponents, filling your Superstar meter, or sending random objects and hazards onto the field, etc.

These are just examples of course, as we'd be deciding what each one is and does. Could be a fun way to include some smaller characters in a major way.

They play out as an animated advert in the bottom left corner during the match, with the effect taking place during the length of the commercial.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 7: 7-a-side
I can see arguments for both 6 and 7 but I think the lucky number 7 is the way to go here. A nice 14-player-game sounds fun to me.

Job 8: Fan Club
If there's one thing about sports teams you can count on, it's their legions of diehard fans. There's an almost religious quality to supporting one's favorite Football clubs and soccer teams, and I think it'd be a shame not to bring that in somehow. After all, if my time in these threads have taught me anything it's that if there is one group more passionate than sports fans, it's SEGA fans.

So, let's make winning fans over mid-match a part of the game! I admit I haven't entirely thought the concept through, but perhaps there's some kind of "supporters" tally in with the rest of the on-screen stats, and hitting spectacular goals, doing tricky plays, and using your special moves and showing team synergy could win those fans over to your side. It's a bit of a game of tug of war since there's only a finite number of fans, where if you have more fans based on your performance you get pumped up and momentum is on your side. That said, the less-popular team would also get some underdog boosts as well and perhaps the ability to trick or sabotage the other team, because nobody likes a blowout or a team that's TOO dominant...

Perhaps it could even be shown via betting odds? Or people in the crowd wearing the team's colors? Lots to consider so any development of this vague idea would be fun. This would be separate of course from any popularity rankings or fans stats in any future management mode, this is just an in-match game-by-game mechanic for fun.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
AND EXTRA TIME IS OVER!

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for the results!

Job #6
First of all, it went into extra time, but what a dazzling finishing result!
osby osby proves that they are King of all the Kongs with their AiAi moveset! That's being added to the front page, and is locked in!

That's 2/3 of our current cast with their movesets made up now, one more to go!

--------------

Job #7
It's a hat trick for Lucky 7s. Our Sega Superstar Squadrons will be made up of 7 players. This will be used to decide the overall roster number going forward.

--------------

Job #8
For Job 8 we got a few different interesting gimmicks and gameplay elements, so let's take a look at what our players will have to deal with!
  • Items put forth by the well prepared Talent Scout who has a whole bag of tricks of his own, Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
  • Tag-ins put forth by the friendly Field Judge who understands the power of teamwork, airConditioner airConditioner
  • Sponsors put forth by the announcer who knows all about self promotion, myself; YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
  • Fan Clubs put forth by Sega's own Fan Club President who is making a killing by selling vuvuzelas with Harrier's face on them, Flyboy Flyboy
So with these options now on the table, we have to make the difficult decision of picking just one winner.

For this job, please vote for your top three. Your own suggestion can only be placed second or third.

That's all for today folks. We'll have a new pair of jobs tomorrow, one of which is rather obviously Chie's moveset, but the other will give those who are less confident in moveset creation something to enjoy!

As always, around 24 hours will pass before the next task! Seeya next time!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Items
2. Sponsors
3. Tag-Ins (Unusual but potentially fun idea - I'm always up for something that takes inspiration from KOF's Strikers system)

Top Bottom