• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: PBS Kids: Brawltime! (A Fanmade Platform Fighter Honoring PBS/PBS Kids's History): Learner's Pass Volume 2 Time!

What should Job 11 be?

• Submit layouts, hazards and/or gimmicks for Sesame Street Stage?

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Submit a moveset proposal for Mr. Rogers.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PopCultureCorn

Pop Culture Enthusiast and Beginner Animator
NNID
PopCultureCorn
1. Sofia
2. Pooh
3. Bluey

1. defunct company
2. learning kits

Sponsor With PBS Kids History

Arby's

As far as I know, they sponsored Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman and Dragonfly TV. They are perhaps best known for their iconic roast beef sandwiches, known for being less greasy, making them a better choice for fast food. Plus, they have done gaming tie-ins with their kids meals recently, so I think they would be an excellent choice.

Content for the pack:

• 1 stage reskin
  • 1 Learning Playground Form
  • 2 items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

Sponsor with NO PBS Kids History

meiji

They're the makers of iconic Asian snacks, such as Hello Panda, Yan Yan (I ate a lot of those as a kid), Chocorooms and other famous Asian gummies. I just figured I'd submit another Japanese food company as a sponsor this time, last time being Maruchan.

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 2-3 Items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

Last edited:

CoolCarrot23

Smash Cadet
1. Bear
2. Sofia
3. Bluey

1. learning kits
2. PC games in 90's

Hard Rock Hotel

They DID sponsor Thomas & Friends when it was on PBS Kids. I don't have much reason as to why they should be sponsors but......ROCK ON!!! It would be awesome to see PBS Kids characters dress up in rock n' roll costumes!

Content for the pack:

• 1 stage reskin
  • 2 items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

Frankford

They make so many iconic candies, including the ever-popular Wonder-Ball! I think it would be fun to have a candy company be a sponsor

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 1-2 Items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

Last edited:

IkeaInklingMustHappen

Smash Cadet
1. Sofia
2. Bluey
3. Pooh

1. defunct company
2. learning kits

Mcdonald's

Ok......so I think information about their sponsorship towards PBS Kids is pretty scarce, I believe they sponsored Sesame Street at one point? But they are Mcdonald's!, the world's leading fast food restaurant chain! Why not have them be sponsors?, even though they might not be the best, but it would still be fun! They have nay iconic menu items, like the Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Filet-O-Fish, and their signature golden fires.

Content for the pack:

• 1-2 stage reskins
  • 3-4 items
  • 2-3 Legacy Skins

Arcade1up

Instant arcade cabinets delivered straight to your home! Each box comes with an easy-to-build arcade machine with some assembly required. The cabinets contain the most iconic arcade games of the 80's and 90's. I just thought it would be fun to see some arcade machines based on PBS Kids shows be thrown in there. Plus, they did Kid versions of arcade cabinets for PAC-MAN and Paw Patrol.

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 1-2 Items
  • 2-3 Legacy Skins

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion
My votes:

Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior Character:

1. Bear (I grew up with Bear in The Big Blue House and he would be a lot of fun. We started with a Muppet character in PBS Kids: Brawltime! being Big Bird and we end with Bear. Plus, Bear has crossed over with Big Bird and Barney in the We Are Family music video from the 2000s.)
2. Pooh Bear (Self-vote but...he IS the Disney preschool icon. Heck, he's such a notable figure in pop culture as well.)
3. Bluey (I love her show and it's quite a fun one. I had to explain to my dad about Bluey today surprisingly...she would be so cool.)

Educational Company Job Prompt Votes:

1. Revival of defunct company (This could provide some fun ones...I do not know many but with enough research, we can find something.)
2. Learning kits/school products (Lots of possibilities here and a niche we haven't filled yet)

I love the 90s one too but...I feel it's similar to brands we've done like JumpStart or The Learning Company.

Homer By Begin

View attachment 394438

I had trouble finding a PBS Kids sponsor but...HOMER by Begin is a more recent sponsor of PBS Kids as they have sponsored Molly of Denali, Let's Go Luna and Pinkalicious and Peteriffic. They also sponsored Dinosaur Train but there is no content from that TV show in Brawltime! yet. Funny enough, Pop wanted this app to sponsor the Championship Circuit eventually. Basically, HOMER is an Essential Early Learning App for young kids that also provides them books and other educational materials. I guess this does kind of count for my job prompt for a sponsor being about an educational website but...I feel we could use more modern PBS Kids sponsors alongside the nostalgic names. We never had an educational program/app as a sponsor for the Brawltime! Championship Circuit (besides ABCMouse.com but...that doesn't really count). Plus, Begin has had a lot of past PBS Kids history, including with Sesame Workshop and Sesame Street itself. I can imagine HOMER would make tie-in stuff based on the PBS Kids shows in Brawltime! and books based on them too covering the subjects HOMER covers.

Content for the pack:

• 1 stage reskin
  • 2 items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

Dairy Queen

View attachment 394439

This fits Pop's prompt about food brands recognized by kids and this has been submitted before by CoolCarrot23 CoolCarrot23 I believe. Dairy Queen, the ever-iconic American fast food ice-cream chain. They do...kind of have PBS Kids history with sponsoring local stations (that doesn't really count but) alongside the fact funny enough...they did make kids meal toys based off of the JumpStart characters (a connection to one of the edutainment brands that was our first Super Sponsor).

Basically, they are very iconic. We do not have an ice cream brand yet so...they are so perfect for that. They haven't been involved in e-sports (surprising as the term DQ is used a lot in esports) so...now's their chance. Some cool PBS Kids-themed ice cream is something to dream about for promotion after all!

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 1-2 Items
  • 1 Legacy Skin
Okay, vote time! For characters:

1. Sofia
2. Bluey
3. Kion

Sofia's a pretty big, somewhat-recent cult classic, so she's first in line in my votes. Kion was in the third spot, because he seems cool lol. For job prompts:

1. Learning Kits
2. Defunct Company

A school kit company would be great for a crossover like this, honestly. So, that's my top vote for that!

I found a real fun one for a sponsor with PBS history...

Beaches Family Resorts
View attachment 394463

I think this is an offshoot of another resort company called "Sandals", as you can see in that logo there. But anyways, these guys are pretty frequent sponsors of Sesame Street; An operator of family resorts in the Caribbean, they're sure to bring some tropical fun!

-2 stage reskins
-2 Legacy skins
-2 items

And as for one with no history...

Starfall
View attachment 394464

Wow, so this has never been submitted before here, huh? Well, time to change that. Slotting into the "education website" theme, I'm entering Starfall here, a nice little edutainment website that I remember well from my own childhood. It's been suggested a few times here and there on the thread actually... so, may as well finally take advantage. This one has a bigger Legacy Skin focus, we could preferably base them on other Starfall characters.

-3 Legacy skins
-1 new stage
-2 items
1. Sofia
2. Pooh
3. Bluey

1. defunct company
2. learning kits

Arby's

As far as I know, they sponsored Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman and Dragonfly TV. They are perhaps best known for their iconic roast beef sandwiches, known for being less greasy, making them a better choice for fast food. Plus, they have done gaming tie-ins with their kids meals recently, so I think they would be an excellent choice.

Content for the pack:

• 1 stage reskin
  • 2 items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

meiji

They're the makers of iconic Asian snacks, such as Hello Panda, Yan Yan (I ate a lot of those as a kid), Chocorooms and other famous Asian gummies. I just figured I'd submit another Japanese food company as a sponsor this time, last time being Maruchan.

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 2-3 Items
  • 2 Legacy Skins
1. Bear
2. Sofia
3. Bluey

1. learning kits
2. PC games in 90's

Hard Rock Hotel

They DID sponsor Thomas & Friends when it was on PBS Kids. I don't have much reason as to why they should be sponsors but......ROCK ON!!! It would be awesome to see PBS Kids characters dress up in rock n' roll costumes!

Content for the pack:

• 1 stage reskin
  • 2 items
  • 2 Legacy Skins

Frankford

They make so many iconic candies, including the ever-popular Wonder-Ball! I think it would be fun to have a candy company be a sponsor

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 1-2 Items
  • 2 Legacy Skins
1. Sofia
2. Bluey
3. Pooh

1. defunct company
2. learning kits

Mcdonald's

Ok......so I think information about their sponsorship towards PBS Kids is pretty scarce, I believe they sponsored Sesame Street at one point? But they are Mcdonald's!, the world's leading fast food restaurant chain! Why not have them be sponsors?, even though they might not be the best, but it would still be fun! They have nay iconic menu items, like the Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Filet-O-Fish, and their signature golden fires.

Content for the pack:

• 1-2 stage reskins
  • 3-4 items
  • 2-3 Legacy Skins

Arcade1up

Instant arcade cabinets delivered straight to your home! Each box comes with an easy-to-build arcade machine with some assembly required. The cabinets contain the most iconic arcade games of the 80's and 90's. I just thought it would be fun to see some arcade machines based on PBS Kids shows be thrown in there. Plus, they did Kid versions of arcade cabinets for PAC-MAN and Paw Patrol.

Content:

• 1 Stage Reskin
  • 1-2 Items
  • 2-3 Legacy Skins
Alright...time for the results for the final Learner's Pass Vol. 2 character along with the edutainment company job prompt....

Bear: 6
Sofia the First: 11
Kion: 1
Bluey: 6
Pooh: 5

Learning Kits: 7
90s PC Edutainment Companies: 1
Defunct Company: 7

The princess who bears the mystical Amulet of Avalor, Sofia the First joins PBS Kids: Brawltime! as the Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior so congrats to CoolCarrot23 CoolCarrot23

As for the edutainment job prompt, the learning kits and defunct company prompts tied so we will do a combined prompt so congrats to me and Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun

Please vote for your top 3 sponsors for each category but your own can't come in first! The top two from each category will be added.

Sponsors with PBS Kids History

HOMER By Begin AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Beaches Family Resorts Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun
Arby's PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn
Hard Rock Hotels CoolCarrot23 CoolCarrot23
McDonald's IkeaInklingMustHappen IkeaInklingMustHappen

Sponsors with no PBS Kids History

Dairy Queen AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Starfall Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun
meiji PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn
Frankford CoolCarrot23 CoolCarrot23
Arcade1Up IkeaInklingMustHappen IkeaInklingMustHappen

Now...I decided I suppose we will do Sofia's moveset job as well alongside Matthias's and we might as well move to the educational/edutainment company tie-in stuff so...let's get going!

Job 544:

Create a moveset with Sofia the First. Please consider adding some sort of summoner/princess-esque gimmick with Disney flair of course.

Job 545:

It's time once again for an edutainment tie-in update. Please add an edutainment company that is either defunct or one that makes learning kits or products for schools. For this company, please:

• Nominate an edutainment company with the above requirements
  • Post a picture of the logo of the company
  • Describe the PBS Kids connection the edutainment company has and a bit about the company (if there is any) alongside any connections to the guest character IPs for PBS Kids Sprout/Universal Kids and The Learning Company
  • What is the tie-in product or products this company is making that is making them worthy of this free update?
  • Why is this company deserving of getting free content?
  • List the free content that will come into this update like how many assists, how many stages, etc. Also, list specifically what you want as well.
Get submitting and voting and use your imagination!

Votes:

Sponsors with PBS Kids History:

1. Beaches (Honestly, we don't have a hospitality/hotel company yet as a sponsor...I have some cool ideas for promotions and stuff for them.)
2. Arby's (I love how they are invovled in eSports...they are just too cool.)
3. HOMER by Begin (Self-vote but...we need a modern PBS Kids sponsor in the mix.)

All of them are great ideas. Shout-out to McDonald's especially, I remember they sponsored Sesame Street.

Sponsors with no PBS Kids History:

1. meiji (Japanese brands are awesome and they fit in well in the Neon Gaming City.)
2. Dairy Queen (We need an ice cream brand and yes, this is a self-vote heh)
3. Frankford (Candy brand idea sounds fun.)

Arcade1Up and Starfall work better as Super Sponsors to be honest. All excellent ideas.

I may create a Sofia moveset before a Matthias moveset...just need to do some research on her show but....

Edutainment/Educational Company for Free Update Submission

Resubmitting Lakeshore Learning Materials

ezgif-2-608d4e6b9f.jpg

You may have seen this brand in multiple classroom materials, learning kits, CDs, PC games, etc. back when you were a young student as well as the educational board games they made. Lakeshore has been a favorite amongst kids and educators for many years since 1954. They turned 70 this year so what a way to celebrate! I am a new teacher myself and I am quite familiar with their products.

Knowing that there are no tie-in products with Lakeshore yet...PBS Kids making tie-ins with Lakeshore would be awesome. For their products, there would be lots of PBS Kids themed learning kits, materials, etc. In fact, there will be a new range of board games based on the PBS Kids IPs.

You can expect board games like:

• Between the Lions: Busterfield Library Word Scramble (a board game focusing on definitions of vocabulary words.)
  • Cyberchase: Race in Cyberspace (a board game focusing on math)
  • Arthur's Library Scramble (A board game focusing on sentence building and sentence forming.)
Content:

• 2 stage reskins
  • 2 stages (1 stage based on an original Lakeshore product, preferably their board games and 1 stage based on a PBS Kids tie-in product Lakeshore would make)
  • 1 assist
  • 2-4 items
  • 2-3 Legacy Skins
  • 1 Learning Playground Stage Form
  • 2 Lakeshore video games for the PBS Kids Archives
  • A tie-in short starring PBS Kids IPs and Lakeshore’s characters and even varying bonus ads and stuff based on Lakeshore's products

Last edited:

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
1. HOMER
2. Beaches
3. McDonald's

1. Dairy Queen
2. Starfall
3. meiji

Alright, so I have been really looking forwards to this......plus, I decided to give Sofia a few extra things no others have had before, so.......I mean, this one's gotta be (a little more) special after all! And boy, this is probably the first time I submitted a moveset in.....ages!

Sofia the First
Series: Sofia the First/Disney
First Appearance: Sofia The First: Once Upon a Princess (Pilot, November 18, 2012), Just one of the Princes (S1 E1, January 11, 2013)

"♫ There's a bond you'll never know/A power you can't feel/The love you give comes back to you/And makes you strong as steel/If I remember those I love/I keep them close to heart/My love will shine from deep within/And chase away the dark. ♪" ~Sofia, battling Vor inside her amulet

Sofia's here to show the other PBS Kids all-stars on what it means to be a princess good at heart, along with all her other Disney Princess friends! Thanks to the power of her amulet, all her Disney Princess friends are here to help her out in dire situations! Of course, this means ,that most of the time, Sofia doesn't actually participate in the fighting, rather, her Disney Princess friends are all there to protect Sofia, usually doing things they do in their everyday lives, whether it's for combat, defense, or just leisure activities.

For her trap, instead of the PBS P-head appearing, it is instead the worldwide-iconic silhouette of Mickey's head!

Light Neutral: Aurora-pirouette

Princess Aurora comes in front of Sofia to show her how to be a very graceful dancer, where she dances the way that won her animal friends over. It's a spinning attack that's spammable if you keep pressing the attack button. When charged, it's treated like Incineroar's and Patrick Star's lariat attacks!

Light-Side: Do you wanna freeze a fighter?

Elsa appears with Anna behind her as Elsa unleashes an ice-swing that can freeze opponents, similar to Hero's Kacrackle Slash, but with slightly more forward range and freezing opponents only happens by chance. When charged, the move has a higher chance to freeze opponents!

Dash attack: Mulan strikes!

Mulan jumps forward and slashes her sword downwards, like Link's dash attack and Shulk's backslash.

Light Up: Bibbiti-Boppiti-Spin

Cinderella, the first princess Sofia ever met from her amulet's power, comes out and dances with her hands high above her. The charged version of this move has Cinderella hold Sofia with her arms as Cinderella dances spinning Sofia around

Light Down: Speechless Kick

Princess Jasmine, while crouching, kicks with her foot forward. Charged version has Jasmine do a spin-kick like Mario's down smash attack.

Neutral-Air: Elena of Avalor Awakens!

Princess Elena, to which her kingdom was where Sofia's amulet was associated with to begin, comes out to do a little magical spin in the air, like Ness's neutral air

Forward-Air: How Far It'll Go

Moana comes out to swing a staff to summon a jet slash of water that does decent knockback and also produces a windbox in front of it!

Up-Air: Keyblade

One of the few moves where Sofia actually uses a move herself, thus actually gets involved with the battle. She swings a Keyblade themed to the Kingdom of Enchancia above her! Yes, I know that no Disney kid shows are ever represented in Kingdom Hearts, but I mean, it's not like not all Disney franchises have a connection to Kingdom Hearts and I'm taking all my freedom here, so, yeah, it works.

Back-Air: Gonna put you there

Tiana comes out to open a bottle of fireflies, which swarm in front of her.

Down-air: Touch the sky from below!

Princess Merida appears and shoots three arrows downward, with the very tip of the middle arrow having a meteor effect, but timing is very key here!

Neutral Special: Wonderful Wands of Wisdom

Borrowing a few pages from Sora, Sofia uses a set of magic wands to conjure three different spells, all with different effects (None are the same to Sora, though, she likes doing things her own way!)
  • Grow - Sofia conjures vines to grow out from both sides of her, either damaging fighters or having the ability to ensnare fighters with the command of the attack button.​
  • Stop - slows down the opponents surrounding her, like the timer, albeit only 1 second at a time​
  • Mend - whatever opponent this spell hits, Sofia is healed a little bit!​

Up Special: Amber's help

Princess Amber appears to throw Sofia high in the air as if she's rooting for her, after which Sofia floats down slowly like Princess Peach's up special. The initial ascent form Princess Amber's throw is rather strong and can easily send others flying above!

Down Special: Trident Power!

Ariel, carrying her father's trident, appears to conjure a lighting bolt crashing down to create a zapping burst effect like Pikachu and Pichu's down specials. This special move is also chargeable, when charged more, it becomes like Hero's Kazap!, though Ariel will be comically charred in the process, after all, she doesn't fully know how to use her father's prized belonging.

Grab: Something that I want

Rapunzel appears and uses her hair to tangle opponents, and can throw them in various directions. Can also be used as a tether recovery!

Gimmick: Amulet Amplify!

While probably not the most original gimmick here in PBS Kids: Brawltime!, it's still something that gives Sofia great power (comes great responsible use, of course) whenever she does good deeds! The meter itself is similar to the slime meter from NASB2, except it's really only ever filled up or drained if Sofia does either good or bad actions. Good actions, like landing an attack in a good way or KOs or using items responsibly, fill up the meter, but bad actions, like SDs, friendly-fire in team battles or other reckless actions has the amulet curse Sofia by draining the meter a little! Once the meter is full, Sofia's able to unleash a final-smash style attack where all the Disney Princesses come out to all fly towards the opponents Sofia trapped when she activated it. Also, a worthy thing to mention is that Belle only appears during this final smash-style move!

Gimmick #2: A magical battle ending/Battle-y-Ever-After

Like Sora, Sofia has a unique battle-ending animation, two in fact! One being if Sofia uses a move that KO's the last opponent, the battle freezes in place to Sofia's position to which the scene transforms into a picture book page which closes as the battle results show up. The second one is the same, except if the finishing attack was Sofia's final smash-style attack, to which it cuts to Sofia dancing with her friends in a grand ballroom along with the other princesses with their princes dancing in it too, and then the battle results appear

Nature Cat Copy:

Nature Cat attempts to use ordinary twigs and sticks he found in the forest enhanced with a little magic to preform the same spells Sofia uses, except the vines are tree roots.

Entrance:

Flora, Fauna and Merrywether all magically summon Sofia onto the stage!

Taunt: Whistle while you work

Snow White comes out to sweep the floor happily along with Sofia, who dances along with Clover, Mia and Robin

Victory Animation:

Sofia is seen with her mom and dad, her friends and all the people of Enchancia as they all group and cheer for her like a royal ceremony!

Losing Animation:

Sofia applauds the winner.

Resubmitting Super Duper Publications

Being a kid who grew up with a lot of products made by this company, SDP have made many products revolving around learning through the use of flash cards, bingo boards, craft boxes and many other products in physical board or paper form. Heck, some of their products included those translucent red chips you often see at schools. As far as PBS Kids connections go, they have none, actually!

Why they should get free content in PBS Kids: Brawltime!? Well, not much other than they're an iconic, best-selling company.

As far as tie-in products go, there can be new sets of learning kits themed around the various PBS Kids characters! They can all be themed around their usual products, just with PBS Kids characters on them! As far as in-game free content, there can be a stage themed around their flash cards and bingo boards as well as a few items.

EDIT: Ok, so now that AlteredBeast mentioned it, here's a list of the things that could potentially make it in if SDP gets content for the game
-1 assist based on something like the flash cards or something
-4-5 items based around SDP's various educational products!
-2 legacy skins themed around SDP products or characters
-1 stage, trust me, this could be a lot of fun to think up of, a stage with flash cards or bingo boards, imagine the possibilities!

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion
PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn I love your Sofia moveset but here’s one thing I would add:

Her trap would be Mickey Mouse-shaped similar to the Disney Junior logo compared to where the PBS Kids fighters have the PBS P-Head. I love how I feel another gimmick she should have is a more complex moveset with more moves than any other fighter.

I’m not going to create a Sofia moveset but I gotta find time to work on a Matthias one.

For everyone, please be sure to submit an edutainment company for the job and vote for the sponsors! Something super is coming soon after the voting and submissions again ;)

Also, I am hoping to do my first developer’s log sometime next week looking back at the creation of this idea and all the beginning stuff.

Last edited:

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn I love your Sofia moveset but here’s one thing I would add:

Her trap would be Mickey-Mouse shaped similar to the Disney Junior logo compared to where the PBS Kids fighters have the PBS P-Head. I love how I feel another gimmick she should have is a more complex moveset with more moves than any other fighter.

I’m not going to create a Sofia moveset but I gotta find time to work on a Matthias one.

For everyone, please be sure to submit an edutainment company for the job and vote for the sponsors! Something super is coming soon after the voting and submissions again ;)

Also, I am hoping to do my first developer’s log sometime next week looking back at the creation of this idea and all the beginning stuff.
Oh Yeah!!!!! Why did I forget?!?! I mean, it makes a lot of sense since the only time Mickey's head was ever spotlighted in Smash Ultimate is Sora's reveal trailer

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion

Resubmitting Lakeshore Learning Materials

ezgif-2-608d4e6b9f.jpg

You may have seen this brand in multiple classroom materials, learning kits, CDs, PC games, etc. back when you were a young student as well as the educational board games they made. Lakeshore has been a favorite amongst kids and educators for many years since 1954. They turned 70 this year so what a way to celebrate! I am a new teacher myself and I am quite familiar with their products.

Knowing that there are no tie-in products with Lakeshore yet...PBS Kids making tie-ins with Lakeshore would be awesome. For their products, there would be lots of PBS Kids themed learning kits, materials, etc. In fact, there will be a new range of board games based on the PBS Kids IPs.

You can expect board games like:

• Between the Lions: Busterfield Library Word Scramble (a board game focusing on definitions of vocabulary words.)
  • Cyberchase: Race in Cyberspace (a board game focusing on math)
  • Arthur's Library Scramble (A board game focusing on sentence building and sentence forming.)
Content:

• 2 stage reskins
  • 2 stages (1 stage based on an original Lakeshore product, preferably their board games and 1 stage based on a PBS Kids tie-in product Lakeshore would make)
  • 1 assist
  • 2-4 items
  • 2-3 Legacy Skins
  • 1 Learning Playground Stage Form
  • 2 Lakeshore video games for the PBS Kids Archives
  • A tie-in short starring PBS Kids IPs and Lakeshore’s characters and even varying bonus ads and stuff based on Lakeshore's products

Resubmitting Super Duper Publications

Being a kid who grew up with a lot of products made by this company, SDP have made many products revolving around learning through the use of flash cards, bingo boards, craft boxes and many other products in physical board or paper form. Heck, some of their products included those translucent red chips you often see at schools. As far as PBS Kids connections go, they have none, actually!

Why they should get free content in PBS Kids: Brawltime!? Well, not much other than they're an iconic, best-selling company.

As far as tie-in products go, there can be new sets of learning kits themed around the various PBS Kids characters! They can all be themed around their usual products, just with PBS Kids characters on them! As far as in-game free content, there can be a stage themed around their flash cards and bingo boards as well as a few items.

EDIT: Ok, so now that AlteredBeast mentioned it, here's a list of the things that could potentially make it in if SDP gets content for the game
-1 assist based on something like the flash cards or something
-4-5 items based around SDP's various educational products!
-2 legacy skins themed around SDP products or characters
-1 stage, trust me, this could be a lot of fun to think up of, a stage with flash cards or bingo boards, imagine the possibilities!
Alright, just to move the thread along. I will close the voting and edutainment company jobs. I don't know if the others are going to submit but for time's sake, we'll end it there. Here are the results for the Sponsors.

PBS Kids History:

HOMER: 7
Beaches: 7

Arby's: 2
Hard Rock Hotels: 1
McDonald's: 1

No PBS Kids History:

Dairy Queen: 7

Starfall: 3
meiji: 4
Frankford: 4

Arcade1Up: 0 :(

For PBS Kids history sponsors, HOMER and Beaches tied for first so both will get in so congrats to me and Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun

As for no PBS Kids history sponsors, Dairy Queen will get in so congrats to me but...there is a tie between meiji and Frankford. We will need to do a run-off poll for that so vote in the Strawpoll below:

Fourth Sponsor Run-Off Poll

For the Sofia moveset, Pop's idea will get in.

However, we need to vote for the edutainment company tie-in update brand in the Strawpoll below. Please vote!

Edutainment Free Update Poll
Lakeshore Learning Materials AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Super Duper Publications PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn

Now, I hinted at this before but...it's time to be SUPER!

Job 546:

It's time once again for Super Sponsors for PBS Kids: Brawltime! Basically, the companies that decide to sponsor will have a big, meaty Sponsorship Pack with tons more goodies than a typical Sponsorship Pack. Alongside this, the companies will be producing a line of products related to the PBS Kids IPs and potentially other IPs in PBS Kids: Brawltime! for some promotion that will last beyond PBS Kids: Brawltime's lifespan! The best part about this is...due to the Playhouse Disney character raking in popularity for Brawltime!, TWO Super Sponsors will be added to this year's Championship Circuit! These companies will also be the big names for the Championship Circuit sponsors and the circuit itself! You CANNOT submit JumpStart Games and Learning Curve again as we already did them.

For this job, you must:

• Submit a photo of the company. The company can have PBS Kids history or no PBS Kids history. Any company is allowed.
  • Describe the product that the company will be making in relation to PBS Kids: Brawltime! and the PBS Kids IPs
  • Why the company should be selected and what they would offer
  • The content for the Sponsorship Pack...basically, this will have a higher count of content and throw in one/two big extra goodies.
With that being said, get submitting and use your imagination!

Super Sponsor

Hefty ZooPals

Hefty_ZooPals_Logo.jpg

Ah yes...Hefty ZooPals, the ever-iconic dining ware brand for kids where the plates and dining ware themselves are based on animals. I know Pop wanted this brand as a Sponsor but...I feel they would work best as a Super Sponsor. From 2002 to about the early 2010s, ZooPals have been sold in stores for children to make eating fun like the old commercials used to say. However, in August 2023, ZooPals made its grand revival and is now starting to come back to stores thanks to the fans who are nostalgic for these products. I feel ZooPals should be a Super Sponsor due to it being a novelty nostalgia brand alongside us not having a dining ware brand as a sponsor yet. ZooPals does have PBS Kids history as it sponsored Arthur for a year or two in the late 2000s alongside made a line of Arthur ZooPals. It's kind of strange how Arthur was the only IP to get licensed ZooPals. What a rip...but now in this world, Hefty will get more licensed plates themed after IPs that were popular in the 2000s such as Disney, Pokémon, Looney Tunes, etc.

We can determine the brands that get licensed ZooPals brands alongside even new, original ZooPals based on animals that didn't get ZooPals plates in the past. Now...for the big tie-in product that will come out alongside the Arthur ZooPals coming back too as a re-release for the nostalgia heads...

PBS Kids ZooPals!

That's right! Various PBS Kids characters from various PBS Kids IPs will get ZooPals-themed dining ware in markets as part of the licensed brands that Hefty will get to make ZooPals for! I feel the first wave will be themed around PBS Kids IPs that were popular in the 2000s but we can add some modern PBS Kids IPs to the mix too for future waves. Heck, there will even be nostalgia-themed wrapping as if these ZooPals were to be released in the 2000s!

Content:

• 3 stage reskins themed after various ZooPals collections, ads, etc.
  • 1 new stage based on the crossover special with the PBS Kids characters and ZooPals mascots
  • 1 assist based on the ZooPals mascots that will appear in the PBS Kids x ZooPals crossover special
  • 4-5 items (3-4 based on ZooPals dining ware and 1 based on the new PBS Kids ZooPals line)
  • 3-4 Legacy Skins based on various ZooPals and even one promoting the PBS Kids ZooPals line!
  • A collection of ZooPals commercials and ads from over the years in the PBS Kids Archives
  • A collection of various ZooPals funding credits on PBS Kids and even an original ad based on if the PBS Kids ZooPals were to be released in the 2000s
  • Website games from the ZooPals website as well as crossover PBS Kids website games with ZooPals for the PBS Kids Archives
  • A tie-in special crossover with the PBS Kids IPs and ZooPals mascots that explains the creation of PBS Kids ZooPals to help promote it!

Last edited:

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Ok.....so I will submit something to the job later, but here goes my first "developer's commentary" style post on my insights and retrospectives on the development of PBS Kids: Brawltime!

Insight #1: Joinin' the Battle

When I first joined the thread back in spring of 2022, I had no idea as to how big and ambitious the whole thing would be, since there were a lot of fan projects that I knew at the time that either just gave up halfway through the journey or are just abandoned randomly, and even today, I still am quite dumbfounded as to how far we've come at this point, even if I will have to make a pretty heartfelt good-bye this Halloween. I joined the thread during my final months of University just before I graduated, and around the time when entertainment companies were all trying their hand at the whole platformer-fighter thing, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl was just several months old, Multiversus has been revealed a few months ago, and honestly, I'm just waiting for Disney to officially jump on the platformer-fighter bandwagon, lol

During the time of Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl's anticipated release and Multiversus' reveal, an epiphany just hit me hard. That being what If I were to chose either the most unlikely or most preposterous entertainment company to get a platform-fighter? One thing came to my mind that satisfied both conditions, PBS Kids. I even made a reddit post of my idea that garnered so many upvotes, and to this day, it's still one of my most upvoted posts, though I did make updated versions of the post later down the line to not much attention. Why did I think of that?, because 1. Why would they make a fighting game based on characters from preschooler shows?, and 2. Would it REALLY be feasible and appropriate to have all those characters from kids' shows fight each other? Even then, both questions didn't matter to me! and some other people out there were onboard with the idea of a PBS Kids platform fighter as well. So, being the creative person that I am with my brain "shut off" on the actual sensitivities of a PBS Kids platform fighter, I tried to make an image that would be like other Smash Bros. official group pictures that had been done over the years, except with a green battlefield and background, because you know, the old PBS Kids logo used to be green and stuff.

How I actually joined the thread is kind of an interesting story of it's own. I was just searching PBS Kids Smash Bros on Google randomly, and I randomly happened to stumble across this very thread! I joined it for the reasons probably most others who joined this thread did, because I wanted to share all my ideas that I had for my vision of a PBS Kids platform fighter, even if the thread technically wasn't mine. After all, That reddit post I made a long time back was the starting point of my epiphany for something like this, and I didn't want to miss out. Even now, I kinda wonder how lucky am I, or we, that this thread got to as far as it actually did, but it's something that we can all be proud of. In the end, I was proud to have joined the thread in the first place, but I never knew that it would get as far as it did, I'm proud of it and because of it, it can get kind of exhausting for me, lol. I mean, what started as just a place I wanted to share all my fun ideas eventually became kind of a chore for me to sit down and type whatever I had in mind for things, but that a story for another time.

On a side note, I think the closest we have ever gotten to PBS Kids characters fighting each other was the infamous, controversial and meme-worthy Arthur episode, Arthur's Big Hit, an episode with a very unfocused lesson and a very questionable (and rather unethical) moral saying "it is ok to hit others", like, what?! I kind of assume that that one episode inspired others to pitch the idea of a PBS Kids platform fighter, whereas I was inspired from the fact that other media companies were doing it. Even then, I still am both amazed and confused how some things just line up like that.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion
I love your insight post you wrote PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn I will hopefully do mine this week on the same topic but moreso my way of how this thread was created.

As for now, I will close the Super Sponsor job tomorrow or Wednesday. Please get your ideas in and I’m hoping to get more than 2 submissions this time around!

IkeaInklingMustHappen IkeaInklingMustHappen and CoolCarrot23 CoolCarrot23

I apologize if your notifications are blowing up here but I’m trying to get as much participation as possible for the Super Sponsor job. I know it’s not everyone’s thing as I said before but…do your best at it!

Last edited:

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Might as well submit a company with NO PBS Kids connection:

Super Sponsor

Arcade1up

While IkeaInklingMustAbsolutelyHappen had submitted this before as a sponsor, why not make them into a SUPER sponsor? Behold, Arcade1up, the company that makes arcade cabinet kits that you can buy and take home! Thankfully, each Arcade1up cabinet set is just as easy as building LEGOs, no expert construction work or coding skills required!, though the only tool you'll ever need for the building process is a screwdriver. Once you have finished building your arcade cabinet, viola! You have an authentic-sized arcade cabinet right at home! While the cabinets did contain a lot of the most popular arcade games from the 80's and 90's, they also happened to do two kiddie cabinets down the line, and oddly only two, those being PAC-MAN and Paw Patrol. That is what kind of inspired me to submit this.

Why they deserve to take the spot as the super sponsor? Well.....I just felt maybe they needed a little more attention!

PBS Kids Adventures in Arcadeland!

Feast your eyes (at least this text, no actual picture...) on this special edition Arcade1up cabinet containing games filled with parodies of classic arcade games, like PAC-MAN, Dig-Dug, Galaga, Centipede, Asteroids, TMNT, OutRun, Defender, Dragon's Lair, Donkey Kong (Since Arcade1up can't really get the real Donkey Kong), etc., arcade de-makes of classic PBS Kids flash games, original games and so much more! Comes in both normal cabinet version and kiddie cabinet version

Content:

• 2-3 stage reskins themed after Arcade1up cabinets
  • 1 new stage based on PBS Kids Adventures in Arcadeland
  • 1 assist based on Arcade1up products
  • 4 items (2 based on existing cabinets and 2 based on PBS Kids Adventures in Arcadeland)
  • 4-5 Legacy Skins based on the most famous Arcade games from Arcade1up's library
  • A collection of Arcade1up ads from over the years in the PBS Kids Archives, as well as a few demos, maybe?
  • A tie-in special crossover telling how the PBS Kids all starts made it into Arcadeland.

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Okay here's a resubmission for the Super Sponsor:

Starfall was... uh, still is, an edutainment website that a lot of people (myself included) remembers from childhood. They had a large focus on teaching reading skills in particular, but I think they've expanded since then. Expect lots of content based on them in game:

-3 Stage reskins
-2 new Assists of Starfall characters
-4 items
-3 Legacy Skins
-A selection of Starfall videos for the Archives

And as part of the promotion, the Starfall website itself is updated with new storybooks and videos featuring the PBS KIDS cast and the Starfall cast interacting... it's not really one huge product but a bunch of new additions to the site itself to really expand it.

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion
Alright, just to move the thread along. I will close the voting and edutainment company jobs. I don't know if the others are going to submit but for time's sake, we'll end it there. Here are the results for the Sponsors.

PBS Kids History:

HOMER: 7
Beaches: 7

Arby's: 2
Hard Rock Hotels: 1
McDonald's: 1

No PBS Kids History:

Dairy Queen: 7

meiji: 4
Frankford: 4

Arcade1Up: 0 :(

For PBS Kids history sponsors, HOMER and Beaches tied for first so both will get in so congrats to me and Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun

As for no PBS Kids history sponsors, Dairy Queen will get in so congrats to me but...there is a tie between meiji and Frankford. We will need to do a run-off poll for that so vote in the Strawpoll below:

Fourth Sponsor Run-Off Poll

For the Sofia moveset, Pop's idea will get in.

However, we need to vote for the edutainment company tie-in update brand in the Strawpoll below. Please vote!

Edutainment Free Update Poll
Lakeshore Learning Materials AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Super Duper Publications PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn

Now, I hinted at this before but...it's time to be SUPER!

Job 546:

It's time once again for Super Sponsors for PBS Kids: Brawltime! Basically, the companies that decide to sponsor will have a big, meaty Sponsorship Pack with tons more goodies than a typical Sponsorship Pack. Alongside this, the companies will be producing a line of products related to the PBS Kids IPs and potentially other IPs in PBS Kids: Brawltime! for some promotion that will last beyond PBS Kids: Brawltime's lifespan! The best part about this is...due to the Playhouse Disney character raking in popularity for Brawltime!, TWO Super Sponsors will be added to this year's Championship Circuit! These companies will also be the big names for the Championship Circuit sponsors and the circuit itself! You CANNOT submit JumpStart Games and Learning Curve again as we already did them.

For this job, you must:

• Submit a photo of the company. The company can have PBS Kids history or no PBS Kids history. Any company is allowed.
  • Describe the product that the company will be making in relation to PBS Kids: Brawltime! and the PBS Kids IPs
  • Why the company should be selected and what they would offer
  • The content for the Sponsorship Pack...basically, this will have a higher count of content and throw in one/two big extra goodies.
With that being said, get submitting and use your imagination!

Super Sponsor

Hefty ZooPals

View attachment 394556

Ah yes...Hefty ZooPals, the ever-iconic dining ware brand for kids where the plates and dining ware themselves are based on animals. I know Pop wanted this brand as a Sponsor but...I feel they would work best as a Super Sponsor. From 2002 to about the early 2010s, ZooPals have been sold in stores for children to make eating fun like the old commercials used to say. However, in August 2023, ZooPals made its grand revival and is now starting to come back to stores thanks to the fans who are nostalgic for these products. I feel ZooPals should be a Super Sponsor due to it being a novelty nostalgia brand alongside us not having a dining ware brand as a sponsor yet. ZooPals does have PBS Kids history as it sponsored Arthur for a year or two in the late 2000s alongside made a line of Arthur ZooPals. It's kind of strange how Arthur was the only IP to get licensed ZooPals. What a rip...but now in this world, Hefty will get more licensed plates themed after IPs that were popular in the 2000s such as Disney, Pokémon, Looney Tunes, etc.

We can determine the brands that get licensed ZooPals brands alongside even new, original ZooPals based on animals that didn't get ZooPals plates in the past. Now...for the big tie-in product that will come out alongside the Arthur ZooPals coming back too as a re-release for the nostalgia heads...

PBS Kids ZooPals!

That's right! Various PBS Kids characters from various PBS Kids IPs will get ZooPals-themed dining ware in markets as part of the licensed brands that Hefty will get to make ZooPals for! I feel the first wave will be themed around PBS Kids IPs that were popular in the 2000s but we can add some modern PBS Kids IPs to the mix too for future waves. Heck, there will even be nostalgia-themed wrapping as if these ZooPals were to be released in the 2000s!

Content:

• 3 stage reskins themed after various ZooPals collections, ads, etc.
  • 1 new stage based on the crossover special with the PBS Kids characters and ZooPals mascots
  • 1 assist based on the ZooPals mascots that will appear in the PBS Kids x ZooPals crossover special
  • 4-5 items (3-4 based on ZooPals dining ware and 1 based on the new PBS Kids ZooPals line)
  • 3-4 Legacy Skins based on various ZooPals and even one promoting the PBS Kids ZooPals line!
  • A collection of ZooPals commercials and ads from over the years in the PBS Kids Archives
  • A collection of various ZooPals funding credits on PBS Kids and even an original ad based on if the PBS Kids ZooPals were to be released in the 2000s
  • Website games from the ZooPals website as well as crossover PBS Kids website games with ZooPals for the PBS Kids Archives
  • A tie-in special crossover with the PBS Kids IPs and ZooPals mascots that explains the creation of PBS Kids ZooPals to help promote it!
Might as well submit a company with NO PBS Kids connection:

Super Sponsor

Arcade1up

While IkeaInklingMustAbsolutelyHappen had submitted this before as a sponsor, why not make them into a SUPER sponsor? Behold, Arcade1up, the company that makes arcade cabinet kits that you can buy and take home! Thankfully, each Arcade1up cabinet set is just as easy as building LEGOs, no expert construction work or coding skills required!, though the only tool you'll ever need for the building process is a screwdriver. Once you have finished building your arcade cabinet, viola! You have an authentic-sized arcade cabinet right at home! While the cabinets did contain a lot of the most popular arcade games from the 80's and 90's, they also happened to do two kiddie cabinets down the line, and oddly only two, those being PAC-MAN and Paw Patrol. That is what kind of inspired me to submit this.

Why they deserve to take the spot as the super sponsor? Well.....I just felt maybe they needed a little more attention!

PBS Kids Adventures in Arcadeland!

Feast your eyes (at least this text, no actual picture...) on this special edition Arcade1up cabinet containing games filled with parodies of classic arcade games, like PAC-MAN, Dig-Dug, Galaga, Centipede, Asteroids, TMNT, OutRun, Defender, Dragon's Lair, Donkey Kong (Since Arcade1up can't really get the real Donkey Kong), etc., arcade de-makes of classic PBS Kids flash games, original games and so much more! Comes in both normal cabinet version and kiddie cabinet version

Content:

• 2-3 stage reskins themed after Arcade1up cabinets
  • 1 new stage based on PBS Kids Adventures in Arcadeland
  • 1 assist based on Arcade1up products
  • 4 items (2 based on existing cabinets and 2 based on PBS Kids Adventures in Arcadeland)
  • 4-5 Legacy Skins based on the most famous Arcade games from Arcade1up's library
  • A collection of Arcade1up ads from over the years in the PBS Kids Archives, as well as a few demos, maybe?
  • A tie-in special crossover telling how the PBS Kids all starts made it into Arcadeland.
Okay here's a resubmission for the Super Sponsor:

Starfall was... uh, still is, an edutainment website that a lot of people (myself included) remembers from childhood. They had a large focus on teaching reading skills in particular, but I think they've expanded since then. Expect lots of content based on them in game:

-3 Stage reskins
-2 new Assists of Starfall characters
-4 items
-3 Legacy Skins
-A selection of Starfall videos for the Archives

And as part of the promotion, the Starfall website itself is updated with new storybooks and videos featuring the PBS KIDS cast and the Starfall cast interacting... it's not really one huge product but a bunch of new additions to the site itself to really expand it.
Apologies for the late update but Meiji will be the last sponsor for the fifth year.

Now, we must vote for our two Super Sponsors. Vote for your top two but your own can only come in second!

ZooPals AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Arcade 1Up PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn
Starfall Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun

Back to the Matthias content with stages!

Job 547:

Submit a stage based on a PBS Kids show not represented in PBS Kids: Brawltime! that ran less than three years in its initial run.

Job 548:

Submit a stage based on an episode of a PBS Kids show represented already that focuses on art and/or creativity.

Job 549:

Submit a stage based on some playable fighter's drawing.

As for each stage, describe its layout, hazards, and/or gimmicks.

Get submitting and voting and use your imagination!

Votes:

1. Arcade1Up (Literally...they would be AWESOME as a Super Sponsor. So much content.)
2. ZooPals (Self-vote but...they recently revived.)

Shoutout to Starfall as well, so tough to decide on a top two.

Less Than Three Years Stage

Home Movie Time on The Savanna (Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies)

mama-mirabelles-home-movies.jpeg

A show I have wanted to represent in this game for a while but...didn't know how. The theme song for this show was catchy with its opening sequence but. the show itself is a general, cute animal show for preschoolers. I feel a stage could work best here for sure. Basically, it's a stage with walkoffs where you fight on the savanna with the tree acting as additional platforms. When the "Movie Time" song plays, a stampede of animals will come in giving you some damage so don't get in their way! Mama Mirabelle and Max will even play movies in the background of various animals on footage as well as Mama Mirabelle's own adventures getting the animals alongside some PBS Kids shows as fun Easter Eggs in the back. When it's Movie Time, it's easier to fight without much things attacking you. It's just that there will be a good amount of animals acting as the platforms and such. The cycle resets and repeats.

Art/Creativity Episode Stage

Color-Me-Dragon Land (Dragon Tales)

62f6710ba962b.jpg

Based on the Dragon Tales episode, Staying Within The Lines, you get to help out the dragons in Dragon Land by coloring in the stage! It's a stage with a layout similar to Isle Delfino that travels to various destinations of Dragon Land for you to color. These sections are walkoffs with walkoff blastzones. Color them in and you get an item! There are really no hazards as everything is all washed out from a storm.

Playable Character's Drawing/Art Stage

Our Silly Book with Words (Barney and Friends)

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 9.48.09 PM.jpg

I couldn't really find anything else so I thought...why not do something more obscure based on an episode of Barney and Friends? This is from Picture This!, the Barney and Friends episode starring Tomie DePaola. Basically, you fight in this silly book with words with once again, walkoff blastzones. The first page has you fighting with a tree there as your additional platforms. Edward the monkey will eat bananas and then throw the peels for Andrew the elephant to slip on. Get in Andrew's way and you will get massive damage! Then, you go to see the flowers Andrew saw. Attack the flowers and get items! Andrew will pick the flowers and then the butterfly will come to smell them. Attack the butterfly and you could get a super strong item! Finally, Andrew will sneeze the flowers out and then...you see Andrew with his mother with the rainbow in the back. The book cycle repeats.

I will try to do my first memoir piece by Saturday, real-life gets in the way of me writing it but...have some stage ideas to suffice for now!

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion
Alright so...it's time for me to share my director's insight for the first time before we move on to our next jobs which will be tomorrow (hopefully) or Tuesday!

Insight #1

PBS Kids and You...and the Brawl.

I have always had a strange relationship with PBS Kids and kids media, in general, growing up. As a child, I loved PBS Kids and its various programs such as Sesame Street, Between the Lions, Arthur, Thomas and Friends, etc. Learning was something I love and still do. Throughout the years, I was told I was "too old" to be enjoying kids media and sort of stayed away from it for a while. Recently, in the past 5-ish years or so, I have gained more fondness for PBS Kids as I feel, as you get older, you enjoy the things that made you. Even as a teacher now, I love PBS Kids more than ever. It's what shaped me and most of my peers. It's a free network with some of the best kids' programs out there!

Now, as for the creation of PBS Kids: Brawltime!, it's a bit of a story...

This all started back in the early days of 2022. I was talking to one of my friends who I know in real life. This was when platform fighters were in that sort of...boom age with Nickelodeon All-Start Brawl and the announcement of MultiVersus and such. This was when people started hypothesizing various other media brands getting platform fighters of their own. He first pitched to me the idea of a Nick Jr. platform fighter but I said "Well, most of those characters can get in as DLC in Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl but...half of them aren't even owned by Viacom." This then led to the PBS Kids platform fighter idea being pitched. Now, how this got to Smashboards was when I realized that Smashboards was in the Creation Thread boom for quite some time. I had an account but never used it until early 2022. Enter PBS Kids: Brawltime!

Now, I am very happy Brawltime! got to where it is in the past 2 years of this game as Pop has said, most fan projects get abandoned quickly due to writer's block. But...I am very happy this idea got to where it is. Especially with all the side dishes stuff like edutainment company updates, the Sponsorship packs, etc. The idea is still going on right now. PBS Kids is a brand that is very unlikely to get a platform fighter in the real world as it would go against most of these shows' morals as well as all the characters being owned by various media companies. But, that is why the Smashboards Creates threads exist...for all these awesome hypothetical ideas!

For those who were initially in the brawl from the start, there were 4 characters automatically added:

• Dash (who was the PBS Kids mascot with Dot as an alternate costume)
  • Big Bird (Sesame Street's oldest face and super iconic)
  • Arthur (another PBS Kids icon)
  • Mr. Rogers (another super iconic PBS Kids icon who I felt we did justice with in terms of his moveset focusing on kindness)
Those 4 were chosen as I feel all four of those characters are faces of the network. I feel they were the best automatic inclusions for sure.

As for the typing of ideas...I loved sitting down and typing but...it then led to writer's block like what Pop said, I would occasionally get burned out. Yes, I still find it exhausting (especially now with my new career) to sit down and type up jobs, but I still find a passion and love for it. I still found it cool that Pop himself made a Reddit post about this idea too. A PBS Kids platform fighter is a...niche idea for sure but I am very happy with us with all these cool ideas we had. Overall, this thread is probably my grandest work for sure. Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Future insights from me will include focus on topics such as:

• The roster itself and the movesets
  • Stages
  • Assists and items
  • The modes
  • The free edutainment company updates (I am sure most want to hear my thought process on how this came to be)
  • The Sponsorship Packs and PBS Kids: Brawltime! Championship Circuit
  • DLC content
  • Reveal trailers
  • Other bonus stuff
I hope all of you enjoyed this first insight! Nothing too major but just general thoughts. Also, I hope to start working on a Matthias moveset soon...just been busy and such. Get those submissions in for the current jobs on the other hand!

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
First up, the latest votes:

1. Arcade1Up
2. Starfall

Now, before I get on those other jobs (though I'm fine with the submissions from Altered honestly... weirdly enough, I had just watched that Dragon Tales episode the day you posted that submission), I want to talk about my own insights for this thread.

My Backstory

I was late to this thread (like, the first DLC pass had just ended, that's how late), but the strange desire for a wider PBS KIDS crossover of some kind goes way back to early childhood, for real (though at that point, all I knew was Sprout). Then later in life that fixation took a major back seat... I never truly had a "you're too old to enjoy cartoons!" mindset or phase, thanks in part to the niche(?) internet culture I got into at the time of "animation is actually great and beautiful you guys!!!". And of course the Brony phenomenon...

Fast forward to High School graduation. Around that time, I got into the JumpStart series (which I briefly played in my childhood... they must have charmed me enough to re-seek them out), and became a major contributor to the fan Wiki, which no joke is actually one of the best-maintained wikis for a kids series I've ever seen. And then even later on I began the JumpStart Archive YouTube channel, where I've posted ripped game soundtracks and rarely-seen videos from the series!

Getting into JumpStart then created this butterfly effect where I sought out even more edutainment content... some I experienced for the first time, others I was revisiting. Side tangent... I got into an Australian series called Blinky Bill during this time because there were some storybook-type games for that series, lol. But anyways, this eventually led to re-discovering PBS KIDS around the time JumpStart shut down, and finding out they're still trucking along with new franchises to this very day. This was when Work It Out Wombats was still pretty new, and my goodness was that a good gateway re-introduction to the network!

It'd be a little while longer before I discovered this thread though... in that time, I came up with other "mass-crossovers" for the network, all on my own. I believe I posted a rough outline for a team-based party game here already, but other genres were floating around, including fighting games. I didn't care how "out of character" it was, I love fighting game crossovers!

Eventually though, I would discover this thread through random searching. Seeing it had still been going, and that it had more modern picks (showing this wasn't just a nostalgia-bait "no new things allowed" thing) really inspired me to log back in to my Smashboards account that I hadn't used in a while, and begin contributing!

So where to from here, once it finally finishes? Well, I think I've made it no secret that I want to head a PBS KIDS crossover of my own here, aligning more closely with my own visions and desires. Given how big their legacy is, there's a good chance it might focus more on having a larger roster. I've had several ideas but recently I've been thinking... maybe an arena fighter of some kind? A genre not taken as seriously, I know, but perfect for a large, fanservice roster that's less concerned with being competitive. Come on, imagine a roster of like, 200, all made up of diverse kids show characters, lmao.

But... we'll see what the future brings. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading what I had to say! I have quite a few plans in store...

Last edited:

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
1. Starfall
2. Arcade1up

Also, I TOTALLY meant to get those in yesterday, but I had other things to take care of, so here they are!

Art in the Park (WordGirl)

Screenshot 2024-09-29 194759.png

Perhaps we could use another WordGirl stage? Here, Becky and Violet were proposing and rehearsing a performance with the 3 P's. Paintings, Poetry and Puh-music, so technically 2 P's and an M. When it comes to the stage itself, it can be a stage in the style of a raft travelling on water, meaning the stage has a tendency to rock from the sides constantly, with the "Raft" being the seashell and snail serving as the platform shapes as Violet has proposed.

The Artistic Adventures of Hero Guy (Sesame Street)

Meet Hero Guy, who is shown to be literally a drawing come to life, drawn by Baby Bear as his Imaginary Superhero Friend! Thanks to his many capabilities of being a drawing, he's able to shape his body into many different forms. That's how this stage will play out! Whether Hero Guy's an airplane in the sky, a pirate ship on the sea, a rocket in Outer space, or maybe just several forms of shapes, or maybe many other forms across many different drawn backgrounds, Hero Guy's here to join in the fun/battle with the others on Baby Bear's canvas!

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion

Color-Me-Dragon Land (Dragon Tales)

View attachment 394686

Based on the Dragon Tales episode, Staying Within The Lines, you get to help out the dragons in Dragon Land by coloring in the stage! It's a stage with a layout similar to Isle Delfino that travels to various destinations of Dragon Land for you to color. These sections are walkoffs with walkoff blastzones. Color them in and you get an item! There are really no hazards as everything is all washed out from a storm.

Our Silly Book with Words (Barney and Friends)

View attachment 394687

I couldn't really find anything else so I thought...why not do something more obscure based on an episode of Barney and Friends? This is from Picture This!, the Barney and Friends episode starring Tomie DePaola. Basically, you fight in this silly book with words with once again, walkoff blastzones. The first page has you fighting with a tree there as your additional platforms. Edward the monkey will eat bananas and then throw the peels for Andrew the elephant to slip on. Get in Andrew's way and you will get massive damage! Then, you go to see the flowers Andrew saw. Attack the flowers and get items! Andrew will pick the flowers and then the butterfly will come to smell them. Attack the butterfly and you could get a super strong item! Finally, Andrew will sneeze the flowers out and then...you see Andrew with his mother with the rainbow in the back. The book cycle repeats.

I will try to do my first memoir piece by Saturday, real-life gets in the way of me writing it but...have some stage ideas to suffice for now!
1. Starfall
2. Arcade1up

Also, I TOTALLY meant to get those in yesterday, but I had other things to take care of, so here they are!

Art in the Park (WordGirl)

View attachment 394764

Perhaps we could use another WordGirl stage? Here, Becky and Violet were proposing and rehearsing a performance with the 3 P's. Paintings, Poetry and Puh-music, so technically 2 P's and an M. When it comes to the stage itself, it can be a stage in the style of a raft travelling on water, meaning the stage has a tendency to rock from the sides constantly, with the "Raft" being the seashell and snail serving as the platform shapes as Violet has proposed.

The Artistic Adventures of Hero Guy (Sesame Street)

Meet Hero Guy, who is shown to be literally a drawing come to life, drawn by Baby Bear as his Imaginary Superhero Friend! Thanks to his many capabilities of being a drawing, he's able to shape his body into many different forms. That's how this stage will play out! Whether Hero Guy's an airplane in the sky, a pirate ship on the sea, a rocket in Outer space, or maybe just several forms of shapes, or maybe many other forms across many different drawn backgrounds, Hero Guy's here to join in the fun/battle with the others on Baby Bear's canvas!
Here are the results for the Super Sponsors:

ZooPals: 1
Arcade 1Up: 5

Arcade1Up and Starfall will be our next two Super Sponsors so congrats to PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn and Cyborg Sun Cyborg Sun for their awesome submissions! My Mama Mirabelle stage will be added automatically. Now, we need to vote on the art and drawing stages in the Strawpolls below!

Art Themed Stage
Color-Me-Dragon Land (Dragon Tales) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Art in the Park (WordGirl) PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn

Drawing Stage Poll

Our Silly Book with Words (Barney and Friends) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
The Artistic Adventures of Hero Guy (Sesame Street) PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn

Now, for the sake of time, I thought we could speed things up by doing both Matthias's assists and Sofia's homestage!

Job 550:

Submit an assist based on a character or thing seen in Redwall.

Job 551:

Submit an assist based on a character or thing from a PBS Kids show that initially started in Canada.

Job 552:

Submit an assist based on a character or thing that was drawn by a PBS Kids character from a PBS Kids show represented in Brawltime!

Describe each assist's function as usual.

Job 553:

Submit the homestage for Sofia the First. Describe its layout, hazards, and/or gimmicks.

Get submitting and use your imagination!

Redwall Assist

Mattimeo

mqdefault.jpg

I suppose we should go for another Redwall lead here as he was the focus of the second season of the Redwall cartoon. As for his assist, he will simply aid you as another swordsman or swordsmouse in this case. Because of his being grown as a warrior, he will use the Sword of Martin to cut through your opponents and strike them being the true warrior he is. Similar to Matthias, he will give the fighter he is assisting a chance to escape an attack once in a while. When the assist meter is full, it means war, and Matthias and his men will full-on barrage your other opponents in true medieval warfare fashion! A true warrior is here to assist!

Canadian Show Assist

Resubmitting Wimzie (Wimzie's House)

71Y1py4sXtL._RI_.jpg

Here's an obscure Canadian show that aired on PBS Kids for a few years and an odd one. Look no further than the cheerful but clumsy dragon/bird hybrid, Wimzie!

When used as an assist, Wimzie will follow around the fighter with a toy and such and play with it. She will show a fighter her toy and then act selfish about it causing some damage to the other fighters. When the meter is full, she will learn to share the toy with the fighter she is assisting and it will be a super strong "toy" (meaning a super strong item).

Fun fact: Wimzie's House was a show that used similar puppetry to Sesame Street and this led to legal trouble to the Jim Henson Company in 2000. It would be quite poetic to have Wimzie's House have minor representation in this game while Sesame Street gets all the goodies.

Drawing Assist

Hero Guy (Sesame Street)

hqdefault.jpg

His canvas was submitted as a stage but why not make him an assist too? I mean, he won't be able to be selected on his own stage as an assist but being the superhero he is...he has to help at the Brawltime Party! Hero Guy will draw various items and platforms for only the fighter he is assisting to stand on like stars, the moon, a pirate ship, etc. all seen in the Hero Guy segments on Sesame Street. However, when the assist meter is full, he will simply draw so much and even fly you to safety if you are to fall offstage. These drawings will simply push your opponents as if their imaginations are too small! He's simply a hero and a guy here.

Sofia the First Stage

Enchancia Castle

hq720.jpg

It's the home of Sofia herself. Ironically...since I want to parallel how Sora's stage in Super Smash Bros Ultimate was a competitively legal layout for Hollow Bastion, why not do the same for Sofia with the competitively legal layout? Here, her stage is simply a flat space with two castle towers that are too big as well as a revolving castle top in the middle. Occasionally, the stage will change to a more ballroom-esque layout where the platforms will cycle and vary from a circle but not too zany to make it that counterpick stage. The layouts will range from two slanted platforms, a snake block, four in a circle, etc. A very fun, competitively legal stage with that Disney magic!

I'll try to get the Matthias moveset done this week as well as that second director's insight I hope...

Top Bottom