• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Mario Kart SGP

Who should be added next?

• Birdo

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Wart

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Courses:
Funky Stadium
Delfino Pier
Honeybee Hive

Modes:
Trouncing Tires
Egg Hunt
Boss Brawl

Wario & Waluigi's Special Item: Oil Slick (This is an image of a different item, but it looks similar to what I'm imagining so just roll with it).

This item leaves behind a long trail of oil. Driving on the trail makes you lose traction, and staying on it for more than a second will make you spin out like hitting a banana. I envision this item to fit well with the duo's tricky and messy antics.

Add Diddy and Birdo straight away.

I agree with the choices of Bandit and Ashley for Nabbit and Kamek's partners, so I'm going to pass on those characters.

Rosalina's partner should be Luma.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is going to be a big post!

Retro Battle stages:
  1. Gamecube
  2. Funky Stadium
  3. Chain Chomp Roulette
Battle Modes:
  1. Pirate Radio
  2. Trouncing Tires
  3. Capture Points
--------------------------------------------------------

Job 6:

Current Team Special Item Suggestions:

Mario + Luigi: Fire Flower

It's a classic. This most famous power up needs to be in here somewhere and I feel the best fit is with the titular brother pairing. Fires a barrage of bouncing fireballs forward. However, I'd like to add extra effects to it; if it collides with oil slicks it sets it ablaze into a fire trap doing extra damage, and is also capable of melting giant freezies on ice tracks to create pools of slippy water.

Peach + Daisy: Perry
Perry.png
Whilst the hearts work fine, I'm proposing a visually different alternative; Perry, Peach's partner from Super Princess Peach.
Whilst Daisy has never interacted with Perry, she too has an affinity for parasols, which I feel fits her better than having Peach's mystical powers.

Perry not only defensively protects the princesses like the hearts would(albeit for a shorter time period), but also charges up an energy shot using his 'Chargebrella' ability that will take out any opponent directly in front of them upon the deactivation of the shielding ability/natural ending of the special's use, which I feel fits both Peach(Defensive) and Daisy(Offensive) better than the hearts.

I'll abstain on Wario + Waluigi and Bowser + Bowser Jr as I don't have anything better than what's already been suggested.

Toad + Toadette: Turnip Cannon
Turnip_Cannon.png
Whilst I think the Super Pickaxe is also a fine option, I'd like to submit an alternative in this rapid fire weapon the two mushrooms used in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
This item when activated launches rapid fire turnip gunfire, allowing the two to snipe down anyone in front of them. Lasts a long time and can fire more turnips by mashing the button whilst activated!

------------------------

NEW Partners and item suggestions:

Regarding new partners, I think Diddy should absolutely be Donkey Kong's partner. It's a classic duo who fight side by side in many DKC game.
Donkey Kong + Diddy: Giant Bananas
I'm sure you're familiar, but the giant banana peels are an excellent staple of Mario Kart. Upon being smashed into and slipped on, they split into three smaller peels and cause even more slippage!

...but...despite tradition always bringing Birdo forth I'd like to propose an alternative option for Yoshi as a partner as Birdo and Yoshi never really appear in any games together aside from the sports spinoffs:

Poochy!
Poochy.png

Yoshi's loyal dog(?), and most common ally in his own games, Poochy is a Yoshi rep through and through.

With that suggestion, I'd like to put forward a team item for them, since Poochy doesn't exactly have anything to do with throwing eggs:

Yoshi + Poochy: Poochy Pups
Poochy-Pups.png

For the uninitiated, Poochy Pups in the Yoshi games work similarly to Yoshi's eggs in that they can be used for ammo.
In the case of this Mario Kart however, the Poochy Pups will chase down the opponent in front, causing them to crash out upon catching up, similar to a red shell, but also retrieve any item the poor victim was holding and return it to Yoshi and Poochy! Think a red shell meets a Boo, and that's what you get.

For the sake of balance, only one of the three Poochy Pups will retrieve an item.

Nabbit partner suggestion: Popple
Popple.png

A fellow thief from the Beanbean Kingdom, Nabbit and Popple have a lot in common. They both like stealing other people's stuff, both love the colour purple and...well okay that's basically it, but friendships have been founded on less!

Nabbit + Popple: Bandit Bag
Okay, you know how Villager and Isabelle can pocket items in Super Smash Bros? Well this is an equivalent. The item looks like the big sacks both these thieving scoundrals carry around with them. When activated, they can pocket whatever item is sent their way for them to use later. This item is unique in that it is stored away until activated with a button press.

This item can be used to effectively save you from a Blue Shell, Red Shell or a banana crash, but the downside is it can ONLY pocket one item at a time
Think you'll save it for that incoming Blue Shell? Hope the player in second place doesn't launch a red shell at you at the same time or you get hit by the otherwise harmless Blooper during that time, or else you're in for a world of hurt.

Kamek Partner: Ludwig
Ludwig.png

Okay, first of all I hear you cry; Why just Ludwig?

Well Ludwig is not only the eldest, but tends to be portrayed as the most talented of the Koopalings, showing great ability in his appearances with advanced magic.

Whilst his brothers Roy and Morton tend to rely on pure brute force and Lemmy and Iggy rely mostly on tricks and Larry...well, Larry tries his best but is nearly always the first boss to be beaten, Ludwig has proven in several boss battles he knows his way around a magic wand and is easily the most skilled..

Kamek has personally raised Bowser, Bowser Jr and it's been heavily implied he's had a hand in raising the Koopalings, even aiding them in battle in the New Super Mario Bros games, and thus the connection is there. Ludwig and Kamek tend to be the final two bosses before facing off against Bowser(and sometimes Jr).

Kamek + Ludwig: Magic Rod
A nobrainer item for Kamek, and fits Ludwig's advanced magic too.

This magic rod summons two Thwomp obstacles in 3 second intervals to appear directly behind them, creating additional hazards for any unlucky drivers behind them. Can be avoided, but you'll be squashed flat if you time it poorly!
These Thwomp stay on the track until the race ends...which unfortunately for Kamek and Ludwig means if it's only lap one, they might get squished on their second lap!

I haven't any further suggestions for Rosalina's partner, I feel everyone's picked really good options for her now and any other character makes far less sense than the likes of Luma, Lubba, Geno and Pauline.
I'd only request her item should fit whoever her partner ends up being too though.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think I'd prefer to have the Koopalings be their own partners, so Roy to Morton, Iggy to Lemmy, and Wendy to Ludwig. That just leaves Larry, not sure who he could be a partner of. Maybe we could have it be Bowser Jr. and change Bowser's partner - though I'm not sure who Bowser's new partner would be. (assuming we're going to cut down on clone/duplicate characters)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think I'd prefer to have the Koopalings be their own partners, so Roy to Morton, Iggy to Lemmy, and Wendy to Ludwig. That just leaves Larry, not sure who he could be a partner of. Maybe we could have it be Bowser Jr. and change Bowser's partner - though I'm not sure who Bowser's new partner would be. (assuming we're going to cut down on clone/duplicate characters)
In that scenario, I'd maybe suggest Kamek as Bowser's partner since they have a close partnership?

Edit: Only downside is I'd be stumped on their shared item since Bowser is largely a bruiser and Kamek is entirely magic based.

I'm sure people would also like King Boo for Bowser to team up with though...hmmm...

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
actually, am I allowed to change my submission on Diddy? I have a different idea

DK's partner should be Cranky Kong:

Cranky Kong is DK's grandpa, and he's also the original DK from the arcade game, and was in the original Donkey Kong Country, so I think this makes sense.

But why not Diddy? So that Diddy's partner can be...

Dixie Kong!

seeing as they're partners in DKC2, they have often been accociated with eachother, and they were even originally going to share a spot in Super Smash Bros, they make perfect sense as partners!

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Personally I feel like the Koopalings don't really add much to the roster other than bloat it. I feel like most people would take seven characters of differing shapes and sizes (e.g. Pauline, Cappy, K. Rool, whatever) than seven themed characters that stick to one body type. They all more or less share the same central idea and I feel like Bowser Jr alone is a viable alternative to shoving all seven in. If you really wanted to include them then I guess you could put them in a drop-down menu under Boswer Jr. as alt skins or "echo racers" but idk, just thinking out loud here

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hmmm, maybe then Kamek's partner should be all of them together then?

800px-Koopalings-NSMB2.png

They'll be hanging out the kart and standing atop each other in a big pile, but that saves on overall space?

I feel like although people don't like the Koopalings taking up seven slots(understandably) they're still too major a part of the Mario series overall to be ignored entirely.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Man, honestly I don't like the idea of forcing every single partner to share items. I get it's for simplicity and getting this done quicker but on the other hand it limits the potential of some characters: Luigi could have his Poltergust, Bowser Jr. could have his paintbrush, Diddy Kong could be shooting peanuts or use his jet pack, you get the idea.

That's not to say that items can't be shared between some of these unrelated characters. Bowser and Dry Bowser can share different skins of the Bowser Shell while not being partners as well as all the Koopalings and Kamek sharing a wand item.

Also I don't think we need to force a character like King Bob-Omb, for example, to have a partner that shares his item just for OCD reasons either, not everyone needs a similar partner.

But those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Man, honestly I don't like the idea of forcing every single partner to share items. I get it's for simplicity and getting this done quicker but on the other hand it limits the potential of some characters: Luigi could have his Poltergust, Bowser Jr. could have his paintbrush, Diddy Kong could be shooting peanuts or use his jet pack, you get the idea.

That's not to say that items can't be shared between some of these unrelated characters. Bowser and Dry Bowser can share different skins of the Bowser Shell while not being partners as well as all the Koopalings and Kamek sharing a wand item.

Also I don't think we need to force a character like King Bob-Omb, for example, to have a partner that shares his item just for OCD reasons either, not everyone needs a similar partner.

But those are just my thoughts on the matter.
I get your concern but I feel like this series has characters with enough overlap that any item could be shared between two characters, even as reskins. Using your post as an example:

Luigi and E. Gadd could use the Poltergust. You can even go further and also give this item to King K. Rool, reskinning it as his blunderbuss!

Diddy Kong could use the Peanut Popgun and Dixie could use her Bubblegum popgun as a reskin.

King Bob-omb uses the Giga Bob-omb in Tour. Hariet (one of the four Broodals from Odyssey) also uses bob-omb like weapons with her hair, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to reskin the Giga Bob-omb to what Hariet uses. Or just outright give her the Giga Bob-omb itself; she laughs like a crazed maniac during her battle and is canonically a pyrotechnics expert, so using it would fit her character a lot even if it's something not directly related to her.

As for the Paintbrush... you got me there. There are some serious outliers when it comes to some of these items, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final roster ends up with a handful of characters who have a special item exclusive to them.

EDIT: I wonder if determining some of these special items first before the characters that use them would be a good idea...? For example, a spiked ball is something that King Boo and Petey Piranha have in common, but what about Spike? This gives us a pool of characters (Petey Piranha, King Boo, Spike) to make a team from. There's got to be a better way to do this...

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I get your concern but I feel like this series has characters with enough overlap that any item could be shared between two characters, even as reskins. Using your post as an example:

Luigi and E. Gadd could use the Poltergust. You can even go further and also give this item to King K. Rool, reskinning it as his blunderbuss!

Diddy Kong could use the Peanut Popgun and Dixie could use her Bubblegum popgun as a reskin.

King Bob-omb uses the Giga Bob-omb in Tour. Hariet (one of the four Broodals from Odyssey) also uses bob-omb like weapons with her hair, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to reskin the Giga Bob-omb to what Hariet uses. Or just outright give her the Giga Bob-omb itself; she laughs like a crazed maniac during her battle and is canonically a pyrotechnics expert, so using it would fit her character a lot even if it's something not directly related to her.

As for the Paintbrush... you got me there. There are some serious outliers when it comes to some of these items, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final roster ends up with a handful of characters who have a special item exclusive to them.
Perhaps the paintbrush could go to a character from Mario Paint?

Admittedly King Watinga could probably share an ability with Stanley, but we're getting way ahead of ourselves now.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I've been reading here and I like the ideas here so how about this proposition?

Should we reset Job 6 to change how special items are handled? Instead of it being team based, the items are divvied on an item first character later basis or through a classification system with Items changing visual appearance as necessary.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

EDIT: I wonder if determining some of these special items first before the characters that use them would be a good idea...? For example, a spiked ball is something that King Boo and Petey Piranha have in common, but what about Spike? This gives us a pool of characters (Petey Piranha, King Boo, Spike) to make a team from. There's got to be a better way to do this...
Yup, yup! That's what I was trying to say, thanks for putting into better words (I'm working, can't really sit down and think as I type lol)

Items can be recycled/reskinned here and there but I don't think it should be mandatory for every default partner pairing (Mario/Luigi, Bowser/Jr.) to share item effects.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I've been reading here and I like the ideas here so how about this proposition?

Should we reset Job 6 to change how special items are handled? Instead of it being team based, the items are divvied on an item first character later basis or through a classification system with Items changing visual appearance as necessary.
personally I like how it is now.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Remember Voting for Battle Mode content is still going on

POLL TIME

Should we change how special items are handled?
If so which one of these alternatives sounds the best.

• Double Dash Style AKA Keep it the same
  • Gorgonzales Gorgonzales Idea
  • Loose Class system (Koopalings, Kongs, Princesses etc.)
  • Speed/Defense/Attack system
I'm not going to vote for mine so I vote for the first option.
Wouldn't a loose class system create the opposite problem and be too generic? I can't see all the Kongs using one special item; at the very least I can see two using a Giant Banana and the other two using the Banana Barrels or something.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm not going to vote for mine so I vote for the first option.
Wouldn't a loose class system create the opposite problem and be too generic? I can't see all the Kongs using one special item; at the very least I can see two using a Giant Banana and the other two using the Banana Barrels or something.
By loose I mean really loose I mean even doing something like Small Kongs and Large Kongs being separate categories

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
First option (but only because I don't want to vote for what is technically my own submission)

BTW, if anyone needs context on the A/S/D system, I imagine there'd be 3 different "super items" more powerful than most others (excluding last place items like blue shells and stars), and each would be reskinned to fit their character. For example if both Mario and DK had speed, Mario would get a rainbow mushroom where DK would have a banana bunch. If Mario and DK both had attack Mario would throw Cappy and DK would throw a barrel, if Mario and DK both had defense Mario would get a cape protecting him and DK would start facing backwards and beating his chest (using his feet to drive of course, because monkey) I'm not sure if characters would be limited to one class or not, but class swapping (like engine swaps in CTR) sounds enticing.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The third one seems pretty enticing. Could add a layer of depth and strategy to the races. I'll vote for that.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
About the loose class system, what happens with characters who are pretty unique compared to everyone else that you can't really class them? Like Petey Piranha, Shy Guy, Nabbit, Poochy? Do they get the Double Dash treatment and just get any random special item?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
About the loose class system, what happens with characters who are pretty unique compared to everyone else that you can't really class them? Like Petey Piranha, Shy Guy, Nabbit, Poochy? Do they get the Double Dash treatment and just get any random special item?
Maybe we could make exceptions for those characters and specifically list them out and which special items they have? I feel like random special items are not really an interesting solution to that kind of problem

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Maybe we could make exceptions for those characters and specifically list them out and which special items they have? I feel like random special items are not really an interesting solution to that kind of problem
That was my second thought, probably the one that works best.

Third was the Funny 9 or whatever we'd call this variation of the Lucky 7. :4pacman:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I was thinking of an "Other" category where each driver in that category gets a unique special item.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm pretty split between both option 1 and Gorgonzales Gorgonzales idea.

Mario and Luigi make sense as partners, but we do lose Luigi's more unique Poltergust in that scenario which could be a far more interesting item option...

...most Mario uniques I can think of are pretty unique to just him though such as Cappy...unless we give Peach Tiara as a reskin, but then Daisy's left out in the lurch unless we pair her with Petey for flower themed items...or...if we go for FLUDD for Mario then I guess we could reskin the FLUDD mechanics to Petey's paint or Yoshi's juice...

I think I'll vote Gorgonzales idea. There's a lot of potential!

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
items.png

The trickiest part about items is that there's really no one right answer. At this point I feel like thinking about characters in "teams" is almost counterintuitive because of the amount of overlap/creative liberty. What if we decide that Luigi's Item should be the poltergust, only to change our minds down the line and make it the Fire Flower? Wouldn't that upset the team balance?

That why I feel like we shouldn't really be thinking in terms of "teams", but rather in terms of general groups.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I should ask, will we be including clone and crossover characters? The wording of job titles certainly implies crossovers later down the line - and if so, will 3rd parties be allowed? I'm no fan of MK8's crossovers in specific but I'd totally be up to submit Sonic or Pac-Man. I'm staunchly against clones unless there's a criteria that makes them less redundant (for example babies being drop down and sharing animations, or only having one of each type of clone - so only Mario gets a baby form, only Bowser gets a dry form, only Wiggler gets an angry form, e.t.c - and those are the only clones of Mario, Bowser, and Wiggler respectively.)

EDIT: Another thing to add, are OCs created using the Mario universe as a base allowed? Like say if I wanted introduce a brand new "Warupichi" or "Mabowser", or some kind of personified Goomba - could that get the OK?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I mean we can always experiment with giving each driver a unique Item and if it does get too convoluted we can change it later.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I edited my previous post to ask about this, but since you don't get notifs for edits I may as well repost my question:

Are OCs created using the Mario universe as a base allowed? Like say if I wanted introduce a brand new "Warupichi" or "Mabowser", or some kind of personified Goomba - could that get the OK if voted for?

I'd love to insert these brilliant Wa-princesses by Ahueonao

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I should ask, will we be including clone and crossover characters? The wording of job titles certainly implies crossovers later down the line - and if so, will 3rd parties be allowed? I'm no fan of MK8's crossovers in specific but I'd totally be up to submit Sonic or Pac-Man. I'm staunchly against clones unless there's a criteria that makes them less redundant (for example babies being drop down and sharing animations, or only having one of each type of clone - so only Mario gets a baby form, only Bowser gets a dry form, only Wiggler gets an angry form, e.t.c - and those are the only clones of Mario, Bowser, and Wiggler respectively.)
The Fate of the Non-mario content will be handled soon and third party content will be handled alongside it.

I edited my previous post to ask about this, but since you don't get notifs for edits I may as well repost my question:

Are OCs created using the Mario universe as a base allowed? Like say if I wanted introduce a brand new "Warupichi" or "Mabowser", or some kind of personified Goomba - could that get the OK if voted for?

I'd love to insert these brilliant Wa-princesses by Ahueonao
Probably not. There is so much Official Mario material that hasn't been tapped yet.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
This thought just occurred to me... What if we just keep adding characters like we have normally, and when the roster is like 90% complete we start assigning special items? That way we know who is in the roster and what special item would best fit each character(s).

Also feel like Non-Mario characters should come near the end of the roster process but that's just my take.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This thought just occurred to me... What if we just keep adding characters like we have normally, and when the roster is like 90% complete we start assigning special items? That way we know who is in the roster and what special item would best fit each character(s).

Also feel like Non-Mario characters should come near the end of the roster process but that's just my take.
The question will be more about deciding if they should be added at all so the rest of the roster can be built without having to make that clarification Specifics will be sprinkled in here and there but it will still be mostly Mario

Also Voting For Battle Content will end in about an hour.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My internet is god awful so it's been about 2 hours but here are the results

Retro Battle Tracks
Honey Bee Hive Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 2
Funky Stadium ZoroCarlos ZoroCarlos 13
Chain Chomp Roulette GolisoPower GolisoPower 4
Gamecube Otoad64 Otoad64 5
Wuhu Town @Glubbfubb 6
Delfino Pier YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 8
Double Deck Gorgonzales Gorgonzales 3
Lunar Colony cashregister9 cashregister9 3
Tilt-a-kart @Pupp135 4

New Battle Modes:
Boss Brawl ZoroCarlos ZoroCarlos 1
Trouncing Tires GolisoPower GolisoPower 6
Shrinking Stadium Otoad64 Otoad64 6
Egg Hunt @Glubbfubb 3
Shroob invasion Showdown YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 8
Balloon Champion Gorgonzales Gorgonzales 7
Pirate Radio Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 9
Capture Points cashregister9 cashregister9 5

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Executive decision!

Job 6 is going to be reset and Special Items will be handled at a later date in the meantime

Job #6 Submit a Costume for a character
A costume system will be in the game each costume has 2 parts a head and a body, make sure to include those in your submission. 1 costume will be accepted for each unique character submitted here. These are not full character replacements. (Mii costumes are not allowed just yet.)

Job #6.5 Should we bring back Non-Mario Content?
-Yes
-No
-Other

Last edited:
Top Bottom