• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: CROSSFIRE - A Crossover Based Multiplayer Shooter (Hrrgh, Colonel!)

What should our title be?

• CROSSFIRE

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Dimensional Shooting

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Ocelot
2. Raiden
3. Grey Fox

1. Otacon
2. Blade Wolf
3. EVA

1. Psycho Mantis
2. Armstrong
3. Liquid Snake

Mode submission:
3 v 3 Deathmatch!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
1. Snake
2. Raiden
3. Ocelot

1. Otacon
2. EVA
3. Blade Wolf

1. Psycho Mantis
2. Liquid
3. Armstrong

Job #5:
Sneaking Mission
Capture The Flag

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
1 Solid Snake
2 Raiden
3 Revolver Ocelot

1 Blade Wolf
2 Otacon
3 Quiet

1 Psycho Mantis
2 Armstrong
3 Liquid Snake

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Damage Class:
  1. Raiden - Extremely popular character and a secondary protagonist of the series with his own game, obvious inclusion.
  2. Solid Snake - Feels like he has to be included no matter what. Does it even need explaining?
  3. Ocelot - Another series Icon with easy moveset potential (It's in his name after all) that fits the damage class. Although he isn't a series protagonist like the above 2 so it would not susprise me if he lost out; Perhaps for the next Metal Gear collab...
Support Class:
  1. Otacon - An integral character to the series, and I really like the idea of him being out in the field and using his unique traits to support his teammates; It'd be really interesting to see this as a playable character.
  2. Quiet - Fan-Favorite from V and an easy character to include since she has her own various abilities and plays a Support role in V; In my head I imagine she'd be similar to Ana from Overwatch as a sniper support.
  3. Blade Wolf - If Raiden ends up being playable (and he probably will) an accompanying character would make a lot of sense, and Blade Wolf also plays a supporting (and playable) role in MGR so all the pieces are there.
Tank Class:
  1. Psycho Mantis - Of all the MGS1 Bosses I feel like Psycho Mantis gets overshadowed by all the series recurring characters (Liquid, Ocelot, Fox) but from that game alone he is easily one of the most standout and has an everlasting mark on the series I feel (which is touched on in 4 and V), and he has a unique ability that could make for a very interesting Tank class character. Undoubtedly he gets my vote, he's well deserving of it popularity-wise.
  2. Venom Snake - This one has some personal bias as he is easily my favorite Snake in the franchise, but in terms of a playable character I think utilizing all the unique elements from V's gameplay mechanics into a much more beefy stealth operative opposite to Solid would fit very well for a tank character, and he's evolved into a face of the series so I think he'd fit very well. He'd also pair well with Quiet if she ends up as a playable Support.
  3. Armstrong - Another character that I feel would pair well with Raiden, and he's become quite the internet meme; But aside from that he still has unique abilities nobody else in the franchise has and would make for a popular Tank character that write itself, really.
All good choices all around, honestly. I did wanna vote for EVA but without Big Boss her inclusion would be a bit out of place, and speaking of which the latter not being nominated does leave a hole in our list of options, but if we get to double dip into franchises like in DD then I think we have a good set of popular characters to return to if need be.

Job: Game Modes
6v6 TEAM DEATHMATCH
I mean... Yeah, this one is kind of obvious.
PAYLOAD
Another obvious one ripped straight from currently existing Team Shooters. I mean, yeah, it just makes sense, although with this mode we can come up with unique Payload-Exclusive map designs as these games typically have and shoot out ideas for what kinds of Payload would be transported based on the franchises included; Perhaps an Activation Chip for Metal Gear REX that sends you through Cold and Hot rooms akin to the first MGS, or something else more simple I guess.

Nevermind, this was already submitted and I didn't see it. Went ahead and edited my Deathmatch idea to be 6v6 in comparison to the current 3v3 idea.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Damage Class:
  1. Raiden - Extremely popular character and a secondary protagonist of the series with his own game, obvious inclusion.
  2. Solid Snake - Feels like he has to be included no matter what. Does it even need explaining?
  3. Ocelot - Another series Icon with easy moveset potential (It's in his name after all) that fits the damage class. Although he isn't a series protagonist like the above 2 so it would not susprise me if he lost out; Perhaps for the next Metal Gear collab...
Support Class:
  1. Otacon - An integral character to the series, and I really like the idea of him being out in the field and using his unique traits to support his teammates; It'd be really interesting to see this as a playable character.
  2. Quiet - Fan-Favorite from V and an easy character to include since she has her own various abilities and plays a Support role in V; In my head I imagine she'd be similar to Ana from Overwatch as a sniper support.
  3. Blade Wolf - If Raiden ends up being playable (and he probably will) an accompanying character would make a lot of sense, and Blade Wolf also plays a supporting (and playable) role in MGR so all the pieces are there.
Tank Class:
  1. Psycho Mantis - Of all the MGS1 Bosses I feel like Psycho Mantis gets overshadowed by all the series recurring characters (Liquid, Ocelot, Fox) but from that game alone he is easily one of the most standout and has an everlasting mark on the series I feel (which is touched on in 4 and V), and he has a unique ability that could make for a very interesting Tank class character. Undoubtedly he gets my vote, he's well deserving of it popularity-wise.
  2. Venom Snake - This one has some personal bias as he is easily my favorite Snake in the franchise, but in terms of a playable character I think utilizing all the unique elements from V's gameplay mechanics into a much more beefy stealth operative opposite to Solid would fit very well for a tank character, and he's evolved into a face of the series so I think he'd fit very well. He'd also pair well with Quiet if she ends up as a playable Support.
  3. Armstrong - Another character that I feel would pair well with Raiden, and he's become quite the internet meme; But aside from that he still has unique abilities nobody else in the franchise has and would make for a popular Tank character that write itself, really.
All good choices all around, honestly. I did wanna vote for EVA but without Big Boss her inclusion would be a bit out of place, and speaking of which the latter not being nominated does leave a hole in our list of options, but if we get to double dip into franchises like in DD then I think we have a good set of popular characters to return to if need be.

Job: Game Modes
6v6 TEAM DEATHMATCH
I mean... Yeah, this one is kind of obvious.
PAYLOAD
Another obvious one ripped straight from currently existing Team Shooters. I mean, yeah, it just makes sense, although with this mode we can come up with unique Payload-Exclusive map designs as these games typically have and shoot out ideas for what kinds of Payload would be transported based on the franchises included; Perhaps an Activation Chip for Metal Gear REX that sends you through Cold and Hot rooms akin to the first MGS, or something else more simple I guess.

Nevermind, this was already submitted and I didn't see it. Went ahead and edited my Deathmatch idea to be 6v6 in comparison to the current 3v3 idea.
The format of a death match is basically the same so I can just lump together both Deathmatch submissions and allow the character selection to be toggled

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Damage
  1. Solid Snake (I know this seems a little reductive, but Snake has to be here. He's literally the series' protagonist. That aside, it could be fun to specifically base him on MGS1 and MGS2 to give him a little more focus.)
  2. Raiden (A really fun candidate you could do a lot with, depending on which version you go for - plus, I think as a secondary protagonist of the series, he's an obvious inclusion in his own right with that aside.)
  3. Revolver Ocelot (Similar sort of reasoning to the others, he's an iconic character from the series who'd be a lot of fun to play as, and honestly, the idea of giving him a revolver-twirling mechanic of some kind could lend to a really unique playstyle overall.)
Tank
  1. Solidus Snake (Solidus could be a really interesting character if we were to give him his exoskeleton, considering how useful his Snake Arms could end up being - and his use of swords combined with missiles would make him a pretty terrifying threat to go up against! Not only that, but... I just love the idea of a former president being playable. The memes write themselves.)
  2. Senator Armstrong (Memes aside, Senator Armstrong could be a really interesting character to go up against with his use of nanomachines. The main problem that springs to mind is how you exactly balance that. Though, it could be fun to have him take barely any damage during an attack, offset by a massive melee focus - given he played college ball, y'know.)
  3. Liquid Snake (This one's interesting, because on the one hand, I really like it - on the other hand, I feel like he might not be as interesting on a gameplay level as someone like Solidus, though Liquid's still got potential in hand-to-hand CQC that others might not. He'd still be neat, but considering he'd be very, very unlikely to be able to use his most iconic weapon, I'm not sure how good of a fit he'd be.)
Support
  1. Quiet (I like this - the idea of a sniper supporter seems like a lot of fun, and given her role as a prominent supporting character and a fan-favourite in the series, she feels like she'd make a lot of sense.)
  2. Blade Wolf (Honestly a really fun candidate, given the general tendency for shooters to lean toward humanoid characters overall. Plus, his more direct supporting role seems like it'd make sense to represent here.)
  3. Otacon (Okay, self-vote, but I think he makes a lot of sense as a supporting character given his use of tech. He'd probably be less healing-centric, instead providing information and such to his allies (like placing markers on their maps or revealing enemy positions), which I think would make him hella unique. Also - what if he used the Metal Gear MK. II in combat? That'd be fun!)
Gameplay Mode
Mode Name: Hold the Line
A bit of a weird one, inspired by the Warriors series of all things. Players are split into two (or more!) teams and have a starting "base" of sorts. However, the map contains a number of quadrants or regions of note which can be "taken" by a team through a pre-requisite (such as killing enemies within the quadrant.) The team with the most quadrants at the end of the game wins - but it requires a mix of offence and defence to capture, and then keep, terrain.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here’s the results of the character voting:

Gray Fox 2
Raiden 14
Solid Snake 21
The Boss 2
Jetstream Sam 0
Revolver Ocelot 15

Otacon 24
Blade Wolf 10
EVA 9
Quiet 10

Psycho Mantis 18
Liquid Snake 10
Solidus Snake 6
Armstrong 11
Venom Snake 8

So our characters will be Solid Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Otacon, Psycho Mantis, and Armstrong. We also have a tie between Blade Wolf and Quiet so just say which one you would prefer, I’ll do that instead of a strawpoll this time.

Here’s our gameplay mode options:
Deathmatch ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )
Payload ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
King of the Hill ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Sneaking Mission ( ninjahmos ninjahmos )
Capture the Flag ( ninjahmos ninjahmos )
Hold the Line ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )

So please vote for your top three most wanted of these modes. I’ll update this game with more modes in future seasons so most can probably be added anyway.

My votes:
  1. Deathmatch
  2. Hold the Line
  3. Payload

I’ll also vote for Quiet. I mean we’d have no female representation or representation for a character who debuted in the Big Boss era the other way

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Pretty much everyone voted for Quiet so she will be added. Here are the results of the gameplay mode voting:
Deathmatch 19
Payload 5
King of the Hill 3
Sneaking Mission 0
Capture the Flag 8
Hold the Line 7

guys i think there might be a bit of an upset
So Deathmatch, Capture the Flag and Hold the Line will be our gameplay modes for the launch.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #06:
Map Name: Big Shell
Map Origin: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2, 2001)

A marine decontamination facility around 30 miles from Manhattan, made up of two hexagonal "shells" each around a core and connected by one bridge. For gameplay purposes, you'd only fight on one of these "shells" - specifically on the rooftops of Shell 1, struts A to F as well as the central unit. Each of these struts is around 40 metres above sea level. Think of this being a little like the version of the map used in the skateboarding minigame included in Substance - it's not as sprawling as the original Big Shell (mostly for the sake of balance), but unlike that minigame, you can also enter the upper rooms for a little extra fun. Notably, it'd be loosely inspired by a later point in the game where the central bridge between the two "shells" is severed.

Map Name: Shadow Moses
Map Origin: Metal Gear Solid (PSX, 1997)

This map's an iconic one taking place mostly on and around the helipad of the island. It's possible to access some of the inside corridors, too. These corridors are, at first, the only method of accessing the Tank Hangar - but midway through a round, the main door will open up, allowing access. While this is only a reasonably small region of the island, it'd still be more than large enough to play around with.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Outer Heaven
This stage is based on the setting of the original Metal Gear game, it's basically a military-like base surrounded by jungle. The inner part of the map is set in the base and its a lot more square and and a lot more layered. There's also a lot of tanks sitting around looking cute I guess, you obviously can't use em. The outer part of the map is full of jungle, so there's plenty of plants to hide in.

Metal Hell
An original concept, basically a graveyard for all the types of metal gear from the series. It's set in a desert wasteland with tons of broken down metal gear laying around, making a unique layout to work around.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #7: Submit Movesets For Each Character
So this is where we first get into designing movesets for our characters! You can submit for as many characters as you want, and since this is gonna be a bigger job than normal I'll give a bit more time. So what you'll be submitting is the character's default and alternate guns, as well as 2 to 4 abilities this character would have. Remember to keep them suited to whatever class they're in. You don't need to go too in-depth by the way, a simple explanation of each will suffice but I do want there to be some indication what each ability does. That's about it so have fun!

After this one, we'll submit costumes and then be finished with Metal Gear content.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Tselinoyarsk (An location that makes a lot of sense while still being pretty fun!)
  2. Outer Heaven (Makes sense to call back to the series' origins!)
  3. Metal Hell (Fantastically unique concept! Honestly, I love this.)
And for movesets...

I'm not 100% sure what controls we'd specifically be going for, so I'm using the arcade game JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Last Survivor as a basis. It's a battle royale game in the third-person, so I think it'd make sense. That aside, many of that game's features and gimmicks wouldn't be brought over - for instance, we'd still have traditional "ammo" and the like.

With that in mind, here's my control scheme proposal. It's fairly typical overall, but differs from other games in that there'd be two types of attack - normal and special - allowing for gimmicks and the like, or potentially two distinct weapons.

General Gameplay
I think there'd be a lot of ways you can handle Otacon, but my take is this - his role in the series is often as a technological adviser but as a pacifist, and it'd feel a little weird to just give him a gun and tell him to shoot people in the face when that's really not his specialty. With that in mind, I'd give him a unique gimmick that allows him to play to his strengths while representing one of his works - the use of the Metal Gear MK. II, plus the Solid Eye system. As for why MK. II - I think it'd be fun to explore it, given it's the most direct method through which Otacon's been able to support Snake in the field.

Basically, where a lot of Support characters probably have a focus on healing, Otacon instead focuses on information and item-based support - being able to use MK. II to sneak around the map to both gather intel on opponents, and resources to build up his allies' offence. However, Otacon himself is essentially helpless - even when accompanied by his weapon, he isn't the one that fires it... and he doesn't have much health, or really any defensive measures. This means you've got to be really conscious of where you leave Otacon while he's controlling MK. II, lest he get killed or the MK. II run out of battery.

Side note? I think giving MK. II different paintjobs could also be a great additional form of customisation for Otacon beyond his own costumes! Whether you wanted to go for paintjobs representing different Metal Gears (or equivalents) from the series, or the different camo types seen throughout, there'd be plenty of neat ways of going about it. A Shagohod paintjob especially would go hella hard.

Passives
Metal Gear MK. II: As a unique weapon type for the game, Metal Gear MK. II (referred to from here on as "MK. II") is a small robot of sorts which usually follows Otacon around when he moves. MK. II and Otacon are considered seperate entities - if Otacon is killed, he loses a life, but if MK. II is killed, it's airdropped in next to Otacon as a respawn after 15 seconds (spawning with 70% battery and 1 magazine.)

Battery Power: MK. II has a unique battery system seperate to ammo altogether. Whenever in use, MK. II's battery depletes over time - passively usng 0.5% p/s while following Otacon, but sometimes using a little more in certain circumstances. If depleted from full (100%) to zero (0%), it becomes inert and very vulnerable to attack. If depleted of battery for 20 seconds, it explodes in a non-harmful plume of smoke before starting up the respawn setup. However, if Otacon is nearby, you can hold Y to recharge MK. II, a process that takes 5 seconds in total.

Solid Eye System: One of Otacon's defining tools is his Solid Eye System, and while he never uses it in the games, I don't think it's too unrealistic to propose that he'd developed a version of it for his glasses. Specifically, Otacon and MK. II can see thermal silhouettes of allies through walls - but they can't see enemies. However, they can see the exact remaining health of both allies and enemies when within line of sight.

Attacks & Actions
Remote Control: L2 (Hold) - MK. II is seperated from Otacon and can be remotely piloted, with your point of view being shifted to follow MK. II in a first-person view. Otacon himself is left inert, and thus vulnerable - however, if he's taking cover when Remote Control is activated, he'll stay in cover. When using Remote Control, MK. II uses 1% battery p/s, allowing it to be used for a maximum of 100 seconds before it becomes inert. It's also worth noting that when Remote Control is deactivated, MK. II still needs to physically return to Otacon - it'll take the most direct route it can.

MK. II Fire: R1 (Tap) - MK. II fires a burst of three semi-automatic bullets in the direction you aim in. In total, it has 96 ammo - in 2 mags of 48 bullets each, allowing for 16 shots. Notably, when used while trailing Otacon, it can periscope over or around cover - meaning that Otacon himself can keep out of harm's way while MK. II takes the risk for him. However, it's worth noting that MK. II can only be reloaded when following Otacon or at least nearby to him.

MK. II Manipulator Arm: R1 (Tap, no ammo) - Presuming MK. II is devoid of ammo, but still has battery power, it can swing its manipulator arm in front of it with an electric shock to deal a little damage to opponents as a last resort. However, while this doesn't use ammo, it does use battery power - 2% every time it's used. Additionally, it's a melee attack, and doesn't have MK. II Fire's capacity to periscope.

Item Storage: Y (When near an item, but not Otacon) - When near an item pickup, such as a medkit, ammo, or so forth, MK. II can pick up and store up to three of them in total. However, it drops these items when attacked. If by an ally, they can interact with MK. II to make it drop all of its items using the Y button.

Item Drop: L1 (Tap) - MK. II simply drops all of its items in place, allowing them to be picked up.

Radar Tagging: L2 (Hold) - While held, any enemy that MK. II sees gains a target reticule, allowing their silhouette to be seen through walls by Otacon and MK. II alike - and allowing the Solid Eye system to monitor their remaining health even through walls. Additionally, these enemies are shown on Otacon's ally's minimaps as red blips on the radar, allowing the team as a whole to develop strategies. However, keeping this ability active uses 2% of battery per second, and if MK. II is attacked at any point, all of these reticules are lost. Additionally, tagged enemies only remain tagged if within 25 metres of MK. II.

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Sorry I didn't submit any maps, but I figured all the big options would be nominated no matter what and lo and behold they were, lol.
  1. Shadow Moses - This might seem very vanilla, but, c'mon, it's the most iconic locale in the series and represents 2 games in 1.​
  2. Outer Heaven - I think a stage to represent the MSX era of Metal Gear would be ideal, and Outer Heaven is such a pivotal plotpoint in the series that this should undoubtedly happen.​
  3. Big Shell - Probably the second most iconic locale in the series, with a very unique layout that would lend to some very interesting matches, especially for a game mode like Control Point where each strut is its own, erm, Control point.​
Shout to to Metal Hell for being a unique idea. Tselinoyarsk would also be a good stage to include and is an easy way to represent 3, which would make a lot of sense since the Remake is coming up.

I can't promise a moveset to be made soon but I would like to take a crack at one or two for certain characters. Hopefully I can actually clear my schedule for that

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I do feel like we should've probably had a moveset vote first, or atleast an pre-decided official moveset template we can follow. Since it seems unclear how we're supposed to make them.
Good catch, sorry about that. I can absolutely start a job for characters movesets right now, so just like… ignore the current Job 7 I guess:

Job #7: Submit A Moveset Template
Just submit the template for a character’s moveset. There has to be the opportunity to switch out a gun with another one, as well as some special abilities for characters, but besides that you can basically decide if for yourself

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #07: In light of a couple of changes to what's needed for movesets, I'll instead submit something a little more traditional. Given this is a forum based around a Nintendo game, though - I'll suggest this based around a Switch Pro Controller to avoid confusion (which I'll attach an image of.)

The control scheme would thus look something like;

A - Crouch (also allows you to take cover if up against a wall or object.)
B - Jump (and additional jump-related movement options, where applicable.)
X - Switch Weapon (switches the weapon you have active for your right trigger/bumper. Tap for the next in rotation, hold to bring up a weapon wheel.)
Y - Interact / Reload (allows you to reload your currently active weapon or interact with objects, allies, etc.)

Left Stick - Movement (ie, walking around and the like.)
L3 - Sprint (while held. Characters would have a "stamina meter" with a different size for each.)
Right Stick - Camera (allows you to move your camera around and the like, but...)
L3 - Scope (allows you to switch to first-person view, but you can't run while doing this. If you have a scope, you'll look through it.)

Right Bumper (R1) - "Normal Attack" (depends from character to character, but is generally a "basic" attack such as firing a weapon or using a melee attack.)
Right Trigger (R2) - "Special Attack" (something a little more flashy using the same weapon, or another special ability activation.)
Left Bumper (L1) - "Normal Ability" (a lower-spec ability or something of the sort, or alternately, another attack.)
Left Trigger (L2) - "Special Ability" (a unique special ability of some kind that the character has access to, also sometimes an attack.)
(Note - these can be for the same weapon, or even switched around as needed. This is just the baseline. Feel free to experiment!)

D-Pad - Emotes (say what you will, but these feel like they'd make sense. Even if they'd be character-specific.)

Plus - Menu (brings up what's basically a pause menu. Obviously, doesn't actually pause the game when online.)
Minus - Map (when held, opens up a map of the world you're in. You can see markers for yourself and your allies, as well as other mode-specific elements.)

Additional notes that spring to mind...
  • Characters would have unique amounts of health, stamina, and ammo.
    • The first two would basically depend on character to character, but...
    • Ammo would be based on the weapon, where applicable.
    • The "default" amount of health would be 100.
  • Some attacks would have cooldowns, akin to games like Overwatch, to prevent spam or overuse.
  • In terms of pickups, ammo pickups are basically universal, more akin to Metroid Prime: Hunters.
  • A character's abilities may be weapon-specific, or may be intrinsic to the character themselves.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll tally up the votes in a minute, but for now the move template of KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 will be chosen. So…

Job #8: Submit Movesets For Real This Time
Heres everything to submit for a character:
  • Both weapons per each character and what their regular and alt fire would be
  • A nornal ability and special ability. Again if you’re not sure what counts feel free to check KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ’s post

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here’s the results of the map voting:
Big Shell 9
Shadow Moses 12
Outer Heaven 7
Metal Hell 4
Tselinoyarsk 10

So Shadow Moses and Tselinoyarsk will be added. Also, random thought, but how do we feel about having jobs for emotes specific to series? I think it might be fun but i never talked about it before so is it something we’re interested in?

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Big Shell 9
Shadow Moses 12
Outer Heaven 7
Metal Hell 4
Tselinoyarsk 10

So Shadow Moses and Tselinoyarsk will be added. Also, random thought, but how do we feel about having jobs for emotes specific to series? I think it might be fun but i never talked about it before so is it something we’re interested in?
that sounds fun honestly

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Big Shell 9
Shadow Moses 12
Outer Heaven 7
Metal Hell 4
Tselinoyarsk 10

Series emotes could be hella fun! Come to think of it, I think you could probably do both series and individual if you wanted, but series feels like a good more general way of doing things. Also, Shadow Moses and Tselinoyarsk seem like they'd be fun first inclusions too. It's nice how we already have a decent amount of variety!

I’ll tally up the votes in a minute, but for now the move template of KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 will be chosen. So…

Job #8: Submit Movesets For Real This Time
Heres everything to submit for a character:
  • Both weapons per each character and what their regular and alt fire would be
  • A nornal ability and special ability. Again if you’re not sure what counts feel free to check KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ’s post
Job #008:

General Vibes
Otacon's generally not a combative character, willing to support Snake in the field, but reluctant to directly engage with violence. Considering this is a big part of his character, I feel it wouldn't make sense to actually have him running around with a gun of his own with this in mind, but there's a lot of cool elements his Support archetype could lend to him - as well as using his tools and equipment from the Metal Gear series in some interesting ways.

Gameplay Concept
Unlike traditional "Support" characters, who tend to gravitate toward being more traditional healers, Otacon's role in the Metal Gear series tends to err more towards providing intelligence for Snake, whether that be directly through earpiece communication, or indirectly through the technology he provides Snake with in the field. I think this lends to a really unique vibe that'd be a lot of fun to work with, and it'd differentiate him from other Support characters as a result. Combining this with the interest in making him a less directly combative character that needs to play to his own strengths to really succeed, and there's one tool in specific that immediately springs to mind...

Metal Gear MK. II (herein referred to as MK. II for brevity) is a tool introduced in Metal Gear Solid 4 that acts as a mobile terminal and weapon with plenty of tech packed in, allowing Snake to approach problems in all-new ways... and interestingly, it's also a reference to one of Kojima's earlier works, Snatcher. Now, there's plenty of tech in it - much of which I'll explain when describing Otacon's moveset - but, for the most part, the general concept is that this is the source of Otacon's attacks and many of his abilities. This also means, yes, Otacon only has one weapon type - but I think it's varied enough to work really well here.

I also think there could be a lot of fun customisation options for this, actually. While the different camouflage types are likely to be represented with alternate costumes for characters like Snake, it'd be fun if MK. II's paintjobs could reference different Metal Gears (or Metal Gear-adjescent weapons) from throughout the series. I feel like a Shagohod paintjob could look really cool on it, actually.

Passives & Similar Stuff
Metal Gear MK. II: Firstly, it's worth noting how MK. II works. There's a few notes to consider about it, which I'll explain in bullet points.
  • MK. II doesn't share Otacon's health pool, and has a seperate HP bar to him. If it's destroyed, Otacon isn't killed, and you don't lose a life. If Otacon is killed, you do lose a life, and MK. II is automatically destroyed as well.
  • While Otacon has 90 health (making him pretty squishy, all things considered), MK. II has 120.
  • After being destroyed, or after Otacon is killed, MK. II respawns by being "airdropped" in. It spawns with 70% battery power (a point I'll get to in a moment) and 1 magazine of ammo for MK. II Fire (again, which I'll get to.)
  • When playing as MK. II, you can "scope in" at any time by pressing L3, allowing you to zoom with the in-built camera. Interestingly, this can be a helpful way of picking out snipers to reveal using Radar Tagging, one of MK. II's abilities.
  • MK. II also gets automatically destroyed if it's completely depleted of battery power for 20 seconds.
  • After being destroyed, you have to wait for an additional 20 seconds for MK. II to respawn. During this time, Otacon is basically defenceless.
  • Additionally, when destroyed, it explodes in a plume of smoke. Directly around it is a quite small blast radius akin to a weak grenade, allowing it to potentially be used as a last-resort tool if in a really difficult situation... but the explosion isn't powerful enough to really warrant use. This is actually a loose reference to a scene in Snatcher, when the MK. II in that game is laced with explosives.
Battery Power: MK. II has a limited pool of battery power seperate to its HP, which depletes over time as it's used. This battery pool is represented with icons, but numerically, it goes from 100% (full) to 0% (empty). If MK. II is completely depleted of battery, it becomes inert - but, Otacon can recharge MK. II at any time by holding X while nearby to it. It takes 5 seconds to fully recharge it (20% p/s), though this is balanced by Otacon obviously needing to be nearby to do so - and after use, he can't recharge MK. II again for another 10 seconds (regardless of whether it's fully-charged or not). Just in case you don't notice, MK. II visibly looks a little more "tired" when below 15%. By default, Otacon recharges MK. II before reloading MK. II, so bear that in mind.

Follow Mode: The default mode for MK. II, in which it follows Otacon around. It usually trundles along to his side or behind him. When in this state, MK. II passively uses 0.5% battery per second - so, if Otacon doesn't use any battery-draining abilities, it lasts for 120 seconds before needing a recharge.

Solid Eye System: A more traditional passive, now. Both Otacon and MK. II have access to the "Solid Eye System", which gives them two things. Firstly, they can see green, digital-looking "silhouettes" of allies through walls or behind obstacles, provided they're within a 25 metre radius of the viewer's location. Additionally, they can view the exact remaining health of allies in numerical form (on a pop-up next to them), as well as the remaining health of enemies... but only after attacking them. If the enemy exits Otacon or MK. II's line of sight, this passive effect is deactivated.

Random side note - while the Solid Eye System has only really been represented with "eyepatches" and the like in the Metal Gear series (such as Old Snake's eyepatch, or Raiden's visor), I'd say this is diagetically akin to it being installed in the internals of MK. II, or in Otacon's iconic glasses. This isn't something we've seen in the actual, mainline series, but I feel it'd be unlikely for him to go out of his way to wear an eyepatch, and it'd be neat to give his glasses some tactical use.

Attacks & Actions
MK. II Fire (R1, Tap): Tap R1 to fire a burst of three rapid-fire, semi-automatic bullets from MK. II's "head" in the direction you're aiming in. However, after firing a burst, it needs about 0.3 seconds of cooldown in order to fire the next burst, preventing MK. II from being used as a glorified turret. MK. II has a maximum capacity of 2 magazines, each containing 48 bullets, resulting in a total of 32 "shots" before it needs to reload. Each time it's used, it also uses up 5% battery.

It's worth noting that MK. II's unusual nature lends to a couple of notable elements to consider. Firstly, it needs to be in Follow Mode in order to reload it. Attempting to reload while in Remote Control Mode will simply result in a prompt saying you need to return to Otacon. Secondly, when in Follow Mode, MK. II can periscope around cover when firing - effectively allowing Otacon to stay out of harm's way without the risk that typical cover firing would result in.

Remote Control Mode (R2, Hold): Hold R2 to activate Remote Control Mode, which allows Otacon to remotely pilot MK. II while your viewpoint moves from Otacon's third-person view to MK. II's first-person view. When in this state, Otacon is left vulnerable - but MK. II can travel around freely, at least up to a distance of 25 metres from Otacon's own location. Notably, MK. II can use all of its other attacks when in Remote Control Mode, so this can be a valuable tool to use when needing to more directly combat opponents. However, when in Remote Control Mode, passive battery use goes up from 0.5% p/s to 1% p/s.

If MK. II runs out of battery, Remote Control Mode is deactivated automatically, and you can also let go of R2 or tap X again to go right back to Otacon. That said, the latter results in MK. II having to physically travel back to him - while it'll pathfind the fastest possible route, this might make it susceptible to enemy attacks or traps, and might lead them right to Otacon in the process. Once it gets back to within a couple of meters of Otacon's location, it'll return to Follow Mode - though this also allows Otacon to go and rendezvous with it, too. Additionally, when controlled by Otacon, he'll do so with a PS3 DualShock controller.

Item Storage (L1, Tap): When near an item (or "pickup"), tap L1 to pick it up with MK. II's prehensile manipulator arm. This doesn't actually use the item, but instead stores it inside MK. II. It can store up to three items at a time, but whenever storing any items, it stacks an additional 1% p/s of battery use on top of passive battery use. Allies can interact with MK. II if it's close enough in order to release the items, with them popping out of MK. II in the process and allowing the ally to pick them up - and MK. II can also automatically drop these items by tapping L1 again while either not near any items, or at any time while carrying the maximum of three.

This is effectively Otacon's... unusual method of helping to heal allies - MK. II needs to actually travel around to find the pickups and grab them in order to do so, but can ferry health and ammunition alike to allies should it come across them. This is more of a reference to how Drebin 893 uses MK. II as a carrier for laundered guns in MGS4, but I think it fits pretty well here. Oh, and after dropping its items, it can't pick any more up for 10 seconds (for balancing reasons.)

Radar Tagging (L2, Hold): Hold L2 at any time in order to activate this passive ability. What this effectively does is provide active intel to teammates within a 25 metre radius of MK. II's location. This comes in the form of a few things. Firstly - Otacon and MK. II's "Solid Eye System" passive is granted to all allies within the radius, allowing them to see ally silhouettes and remaining health... as well as the remaining health of enemies that any ally has attacked. However, it also allows any enemy that MK. II sees to be "targeted" with a reticule, giving them a red silhouette, and showing that to all allies (as well as remaining health and a blip on the ally radar.) Despite the 25 metre ability limit, MK. II can see an enemy from any distance, so long as they're capable of being seen or "scoped in" on.

There's a couple of caveats, though. Firstly, using Radar Tagging uses up 2.5% p/s of battery, which is stacked on top of either Follow Mode's passive 0.5%, or Remote Control Mode's passive 1% and Item Storage's stacked 1% - resulting in a theoretical maximum of 4.5% p/s of usage, not counting use of the MK. II fire. It's also worth noting that if MK. II runs out of battery, the effect is deactivated - and deactivation means the Solid Eye System is deactivated for everyone except Otacon & MK. II and that all enemy silhouettes, info and radar blips disappear too. After deactivation, it also has a cooldown of 10 seconds.

That said, this does lend to elements of strategy, allowing Otacon to communicate enemy locations to allies in order to potentially spring traps or force them out of cover - though MK. II does still need to put itself in some danger in order to spot them and put them under the effect in the first place, and if used poorly, it's a reasonably useless method of eating through your battery power.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Maybe having Moveset submitting be something that's always open would be a good idea? to help with moving the thread along? A single job expecting 6 movesets at once seems to be slowing this fun thread to a crawl.

Top Bottom