• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Character Name: Mary
Character Origin: Quartet (1986)

(She's the one on the left - I couldn't find a decent-quality picture of her on her own.)

Mary is one of the four playable characters in SEGA's 1986 run-and-gun arcade title Quartet, who's sort of retroactively become the game's "main character" in some ways (due in part to her and Edgar being the only playable characters in the game's sequel, and Mary herself appearing in the SEGA AGES series as a signbearer akin to a lot of other iconic SEGA characters). Quartet itself was loosely based on Atari's Gauntlet (with a similar four-player "gimmick"), but differs in the specifics of its gameplay.

As for her function, when summoned, Mary is able to use the jet pack item from the game to fly around and hover in place, as well as being able to shoot horizontally forward at opponents with her bazooka. However, her main "gimmick" is that when she fires at an enemy, they'll drop a powerup that allows Mary to increase the power of her shots, which thus makes Mary more of a threat if she manages to attack you. With that in mind - you'll need to avoid her where possible!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Character Name: Mary
Character Origin: Quartet (1986)

(She's the one on the left - I couldn't find a decent-quality picture of her on her own.)

Mary is one of the four playable characters in SEGA's 1986 run-and-gun arcade title Quartet, who's sort of retroactively become the game's "main character" in some ways (due in part to her and Edgar being the only playable characters in the game's sequel, and Mary herself appearing in the SEGA AGES series as a signbearer akin to a lot of other iconic SEGA characters). Quartet itself was loosely based on Atari's Gauntlet (with a similar four-player "gimmick"), but differs in the specifics of its gameplay.

As for her function, when summoned, Mary is able to use the jet pack item from the game to fly around and hover in place, as well as being able to shoot horizontally forward at opponents with her bazooka. However, her main "gimmick" is that when she fires at an enemy, they'll drop a powerup that allows Mary to increase the power of her shots, which thus makes Mary more of a threat if she manages to attack you. With that in mind - you'll need to avoid her where possible!
Mary's already in as an assist, she was one of the last ones we added in base

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Mary's already in as an assist, she was one of the last ones we added in base
Oh! I... probably should have remembered that, sorry! With that in mind, I should probably suggest someone else. Sorry about that!

Character Name: Kid "K.O." Crusher
Character Origin: Heavyweight Champ (1976?/1987)

1704793264097.png

The playable character in the 1987 remake of Heavyweight Champ - which itself is particularly notable because the 1976 version is thought to be the first true "fighting game", well, ever. Kind of fitting for a game like this, right? The 1987 remake switched things up to appear more like Punch-Out!!, though - and was massively successful in its time, though the reuse of the name in a later Genesis title would be a financial failure.

When summoned, Crusher steps forward using his footwork and can perform powerful left and right hooks, as well as being able to dodge out of the way of incoming attacks. When he hooks an opponent, he'll hit them multiple times in succession before they get knocked back - at which point the referee stands beside him and holds his hand up, before the pair disappear. Hey, he can't hit them too much, it'd be against the rules!

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #285: Retro SEGA Assist - Wang (Dragon Wang)

Wang is the eponymous protagonist of the beat 'em up video game Dragon Wang, released for their first home console, the SG-1000 in July 1985. It focuses on a young kung-fu master himself as he embarks on a quest to rescue Kyoko, his beloved girlfriend while collecting keys to progress inside the tower and facing Jonathan's group of deadly enemies that include knife throwers, a teleporting martial artist, a metal chain-and-weight user and even a laser-firing robot head.

The game was followed with a sequel, Makai Retsuden (or Kung Fu Kid in Western releases), for the Mark III/Master System two years later in May 1987, in which Wang's Master Tayron was killed by the evil Madanda, as he attempts to avenge his fallen teacher's death against his wicked henchman of Kyong Shi that consist of jiangshi, giant frogs, club-swinging ogres, zombies and witches.

In Battle of AGES, when summoned by his new master, Wang will do a kung-fu pose and walk around the stage, performing a mighty forward kick to attack opponents and send them flying away when getting close to them, like in the original game. He can also crouch down to trip them with a sweeping kick, jump rather high distances (akin to the sequel) and perform an aerial kung-fu kick, even being able to rebound from walls by jumping off them and sometimes throw tailsmans at fighters. When his time period is about to end, Wang will bow in respecting honor before disappearing.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Retro Sega Assist

Rifleman

Based on the electromechanical arcade game from 1967, This assist would have the rifle aiming at the stage and block the screen (Think the Nintendogs assist but aiming down a rifle instead of a dog) and then the Rifle would start firing at different places on the stage marked by a reticle.

This Reticle would take the form of the paper targets you shoot in Rifleman

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Eh, I've already pitched both Psycho Fox(who I'm not 100% sure if Sega even own at this stage) and Egle(Pit Pot) before as assists. Let's go with someone new. By which I mean someone old of course. Thanks to Speed Weed for reminding us about Papri in the prior round!

Job #285: Retro SEGA Assist - Papri (Girl's Garden)

Girls Garden Box Art.jpg
Papri-Sega-Ages.png

Original design and the Sega Ages reimagining.

She missed out on her chance to be the retro fighter, but Papri still feels like she carries enough weight as both a SG-1000 character(and we are lacking these) and Yuji Naka's start at Sega.

Papri is the girlfriend of the incredibly fickle Minto, who for whatever reason has given her an ultimatum to pick flowers to give to him or he'll leave her for another girl, Cocco. Girl's Garden has Papri have to run through the meadow avoiding grizzly bears as she does so. Bees will drop items that can either help her or hinder her too so she's got quite the task ahead.

• When summoned as an assist, Papri will appear and several flowers in front of her will bloom.
  • She will enthusiastically sprint forward plucking these flowers at incredible high speed, smashing through any enemy who happens to get in the way of her quest for love.
  • Players should watch out because if Papri smashes into them it'll send them flying alongside a jar of honey from her basket.
  • When the honey jar collides with either an opponent or the stage it'll shatter and attract a bear who will perform an even more powerful ram than Papri did!
    • If the honey jar smashes on an opponent the bear will directly target the fighter homing in on them. Avoid it with good dodging if you can!
    • If the honey jar smashes on the floor it acts as a sticky trap that when stepped on will keep the opponent in place. As soon as an opponent is snagged the bear performs the charge attack.
    • Honey will disappear after 15 seconds. Try to avoid it before then.
  • If Papri connects both her attack and the bear's, she's awarded a huge bouquet. Minto is summoned and she presents it to him. Any enemy misfortunate enough to be above the couples head during this time might be barraged upwards by an onslaught of hearts coming from Papri's head. This can push you upwards into the blast zone so watch out! Love hurts!
    • Papri stays on stage for the 15 seconds after the honey jar smashes meaning she will take a while to be summoned again. Considering she's potentially THREE powerful strikes against an opponent this is for balance.
    • Try and throw your opponent into Papri as Minto is summoned to take advantage of that deadly heart barrage!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, I'll put my own pick forward then we'll move on. I was mainly between this one and Duke Oda, and I figured this one had a much stronger resume. Ain't it funny how the criminals beat out a cop?

Mobo and Robo (Bonanza Bros.)
Bonanza_Bros_CG_art_Full.png

Ah, the Bonanza Bros. Interesting figures in the SEGA oeuvre. You probably know who they are, but just in case: they're the protagonists of the classic 1990 SEGA arcade game of the same name, where you play as two thieves sneaking through various structures, gathering precious objects, and making off with them in your personal blimp. Game's really fun, and it's also had a bit of an interesting history in this project.

You see, one of the main mission statements I've had with this project is to deviate from always doing the same obvious picks that you see in every SEGA roster, and go for some of the more interesting picks that might be more niche, or more popular in Japan, or revered by SEGA in other forms of media besides just the crossovers everyone pays attention to. In that regard, the Bros have had a bit of a stank on them, this stigma of being a "basic pick" everyone assumes Has To Be In just because they were in All-Stars Racing or the billion Mega Drive collections. Certainly people can get quite overzealous with that kind of stuff, but at the same time, like......the Bonanza Bros. actually have a pretty strong resume besides just those. Like, they're in Shenmue, they're in SeHa Girls, they're in SEGA's 60th anniversary UFO catcher, they're in 404GAMERE:SET, they've shown up or been referenced in SoJ reissue intitiatives such as the Astro City Mini, SEGA AGES and the Mega Drive Minis (with the respective devs specifically singling the game out as a big request for the latter two in interviews).....I feel like there's not much reason to keep stonewalling them or pretend they're not "deserving". **** it. Bonanza Bros. is a notable SEGA game. It warrants some inclusion. Yes, people are weird about it and other MD-associated games sometimes, but the game very much has enough cache to get a nod in my opinion. It's fine.

As for the function, well, they'll walk around and shoot their guns, damaging opponents or briefly immobilizing them. I'd also like to propose a second move, where they can grab the opponent in their bag where they'll have to buttonmash to get out. When the assist timer runs out, the blimp will show up and they'll leave the stage, and if any of the fighters is still stuck in the bag by then, well.....say goodbye to that stock. Anyway, yeah. The Bonanza Bros.. They're fun.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Votes are in! Lessee, lessee.......

Bin: 6 points
Crusher: 5 points
Stopper: 2 points
Wang: 6 points
Rifleman: 6 points
Papri: 23 points
Bonanza: 18 points

And there we have it: the retro SEGA assist to accompany Pengo will be Papri from Girl's Garden!!!!

And well......now it's time for a moment that's been a long time coming.

As I've said before, Season 4 is officially, definitively our last season. And....we only have one character from it left. After that, we'll move onto our guest fighter, and the project will be over.

Which means this is the very last SEGA character we'll add.

It's been two years, almost going on three at this point, since I've started running this project. I've been doing this for the majority of my time on Smashboards - we've gone through all kinds of ups and downs, big moments and droughts in updates, but in the end, we did it. We're making it to the home stretch. We've added 52 characters at this point, plus tons and tons of side content, representing dozens of properties from all over SEGA's library. Needless to say, I'd never have thought we'd make it this far and I am extremely grateful that this project managed to sustain a decent base for so long, surviving through all kinds of changes in the site's landscape. We're still here! We're doing it! Are there things I would change in hindsight? Yes, a lot - that's bound to happen in a community-driven project like this - but on the whole I'm still extremely proud of what we've achieved and I'm incredibly thankful that we've managed to preservere for this long.

So let's do it! One last SEGA character. Might as well just start it up:

Job #286: Submit up to two SEGA characters

That's right! To finish this off, not only are we doing an anything goes job for all kinds of options to make the cut, but to allow for as many ideas to get their chance as possible before the finish line, I'm allowing everyone to submit up to two characters. Needless to say, since this is our last SEGA character - if you still have anyone or anything you want to push for, now's the time. This is, quite literally, The Last Chance. This is the chance for everyone to get their best stuff in one last time. This is it. No more holding back. And I think that's all.....As such, I declare that we begin this job. HAVE AT IT

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I'm starting this shebang by bringing in my number one pick I've been pulling for:
I'm pitching in myself. This time, with a character who has been submitted before, but who I wanted to give the full writeup treatment. It's time for.......

DEKA! DEKA! DYNAMITE DEKA!
Job #260: Bruno Delinger from Dynamite Deka/Cop
View attachment 372332
Bruno Delinger is the protagonist of Dynamite Deka, a series of 3D beat-em-ups that started on the arcades and the Saturn. Bruno is a 42-year-old detective who works for the San Francisco Police Department. He goes to extreme lengths to catch criminals, and while he has a high success rate, the amount of property damage caused by his escapades has earned him the nickname "Mr. Dynamite". Bruno is especially trained in mixed martial arts, and also makes use of whichever items he can find as weapons, making for an often impromptu arsenal. In the first game, he and his partner Cindy Holiday are called to deal with a hostage situation in a tower, having to save the president's daughter, Caroline Powell, from a group of terrorists headed by Wolf Hongo. Fighting through various floors of over-the-top action, they were able to defeat Wolf and rescue Caroline. In the second game, released in the Dreamcast era, Bruno was roped into yet another hostage situation, this time taking place in a cruise ship. Hongo survived the last fight, and having become a cyborg, leads a crew of modern-day pirates to invade the ship and kidnap the president's daughter again. With the help of Navy SEALS members Jean Ivy and Eddie Brown, Bruno manages to take the terrorist group down and save the day once more. It's also worth mentioning the 2007 game Asian Dynamite, which is sort of an update/remix of the second game with more of an East Asian vibe.

Before anything else, I should probably mention the elephant in the room here, that being the series'....interesting origins. You see, the original Dynamite Deka launched under another name in the West: Die Hard Arcade. The game was rebranded with the Die Hard license, with Bruno being replaced with straight-up real-ass John McClane, and that's how that game tends to be known to westerners. This should probably be explained.

So DD was created by one Makoto Uchida, an important SEGA creative who's responsible for games like Altered Beast, Golden Axe and Alien Storm. His games tend to take heavy inspiration from American film, and this one is no different. Uchida wanted to make a game that felt like an action movie, and he loved the Die Hard films and had envisioned a game based on them since he had watched them. The game was a collaborative effort between the AM1 division of SoJ and SEGA Technical Institute, who were located in America and were responsible for games like Comix Zone. The game is obviously very clearly inspired by Die Hard, but they didn't actually pick up the license until very very late in development. Thus, it landed us with a classic case of "original IP in Japan is rebranded as an established property in the West". At least from the sources I've checked, it's not entirely clear whether they always meant to have the actual license, but regardless, I can see why this could give people pause. Having such a strong association with a licensed property might make it a bit of an awkward choice. However, let's consider the facts: not only did the sequel drop the license in all regions, but the series has continued to get a steady amount of love from SEGA with no problem, whether it be through rereleases, multimedia, or cameos in other SEGA stuff (as we'll go into more detail on later). I think that when you consider that, it's clear that Dynamite Deka has become its own thing and should be treated as such. It's part of the SEGA canon, like any other classic title of theirs. Though the association has often made it more of an under-the-radar pick, leading to this really interesting situation where one of the most overtly Western-influenced classic SoJ properties gets much more play in Japan.

So what exactly is this series' cred? How popular is it? While it is decently popular with Western SEGA enthusiasts as well, it gets a ton of love from the JP side of things. It's important to remember that the original came out during the Saturn era, which was the height of SEGA's powers in the JP console market. As such, games from that era tend to be more popular and get more play in these things, and DD is no exception. It's regarded as a legitimate big classic SEGA property over there, not just by fans but by the company itself. And this is the part where I list off the bits of acknowledgement the series has gotten, so here we goooooooo
  • The game got a SEGA AGES PS2 release, gaining a full visual remake and various bits of bonus content based on Uchida's past creations
  • In 2014, the series got its own light novel, Dynamite Deka: Burning 2020, following the adventures of an older Bruno who partners with a younger agent who was saved by him as a child
  • In House of the Dead 2, you can unlock a Bruno costume
  • Caroline is one of many SEGA characters who you can recruit for your dev team in SEGAGAGA, and she also shows up in the climax. It's funny cause like none of the lists I've seen online mention her but she's right there in that big famous climax cutscene
  • Bruno shows up as a Solo Unit in the first Project X Zone. Interestingly enough, he's voiced by Ben Hiura, who also voiced John McClane in the JP dubs of Die Hard. That's cheeky. I like that.
  • Bruno, Cindy and Caroline all make cameos at different points in the HiScoool! SeHa Girls anime
  • The series was part of an official LINE sticker set based on old-school SEGA properties, along with AM1 stablemates Golden Axe and Altered Beast
  • Dynamite Deka was all over SEGA's 60th anniversary material, with various characters from the series showing up in the concert banner, in the badges, etc.
  • It's also one of many SEGA properties featured in the logo that plays before the Sonic movies
  • In a much more recent bit of acknowledgement, we've recently seen the release of 404 Game Re:Set, a mobile game by Yoko Taro where you recruit various SEGA game-based anime girls to fight SEGA, who have become a dystopian megacorp that rules the world. And indeed, one of the 17 SEGA games featured at launch.....is Dynamite Deka!
So as you can see, that's quite the resume! And there are probably still a few I've forgotten or don't know about. When you line them all up like that, it becomes clear to me that this is a legit noteworthy classic SEGA property that's worthy of being in our roster. It also helps that it serves as another rep for the Saturn era, which still has several great options left.

So how would Bruno fight? Well, let's go back to what I said about how he makes use of anything he can find. That would probably constitute the bulk of his moveset, giving us another sort of "item-based brawler" archetype following in the footsteps of Kiryu and Rikiya. However, I can see him differentiating himself by having a wackier, sort of Frank West-ish kit. He has his martial arts of course, but then we get to his weapons - we have stuff like handguns, missile launchers, rifles and machine guns, yes, but then we also have mops, fire axes, pipes, grandfather clocks, clubs, aerosol spray, explosive barrels, and that's just the first game! When you lay that all out like that, I think he has some really fun potential.

So yeah, basically my case for Bruno is that he's a cool character from a cool classic SEGA property that has a lot of both internal and external reverence. I think he'd be a fantastic add.
I think as this project comes to a close, Bruno is the kind of character that I think would really bring some nice flavor to our selection and fill out some good categories: being another 90s arcade/Saturn-era character, and probably one of the biggest remaining stragglers left from a JP perspective (seriously I mentioned it in the OG post but JP SEGA fans love Dynamite Deka), I just think this is a cool important series that sparks joy and would be great to have. I really think he deserves a spot.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
We're in the endgame now, fellow Serviceable Gamers. I'll try to come up with the other submission soon enough when getting back from my job. Like Bruno above, this may not surprise any veteran users here, but I'm so absolutely willing to bring him back one last time as a true-blue, quintessential classic character (both figuratively and literally).

Cue the theme song sang by Mitsuyoshi-san himself right below (which Masahiro Sakurai once searched up in Wii U's Karaoke Joysound), Sonic's motivational dress-up and a Dreamcast factory tour since having been friends as of 1991, the anime legend Hironobu Kageyama (Dragon Ball fans may recognize a voice) joining Mitsuyoshi-san in a live duet, and HENSHIN!

Job #286: Final SEGA Fighter - Taro Yamada

Taro Yamada is the main protagonist of a 1991 Japanese-exclusive action RPG game named Rent-A-Hero, which was released on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive and used the same graphic engine as Sword of Vermillion (which got a fan translation in 2015). The game follows Taro moving to the town of Corja in Japan alongside his family (mother has a nice Opa-Opa apron) and younger sister Alisa (somehow related to Phantasy Star's protagonist by name), after his eccentric father changed jobs. During their house-warming party, he ordered pizza from 'Sensational Cafeteria' (or SECA in short) and instead received the Super Energy Combat Armor (as part of the "Rent-A-Hero" program) by accident, which gave him superhuman strength (after accidentally knocking out his father in a "Dadzilla" suit) and other gadgets. After realizing that he is required to pay a fee to rent the armor, Taro decided to become a titular part-time hero for hire (who looks like Captain Commando), performing various odd-jobs for the townspeople of Corja such as delivering food or finding missing children, before ending up in more intensive missions involving corporate theft, counterfeit money and mafia, even an ancient undead pharaoh (King Glutenramen) and ESP telekinetics, all while going against a fellow part-time hero and rival, Ultra Salaryman (or in full title, as lengthy as it sounds, "Ultra Great Super Hyper Miracle Strong Dash Top Fighting Salaryman").

Instead of traditional turn-based battles, Taro faces against criminals in a similar format to 2D fighting games, which was an unusual innovation for the RPG genre at a time. The 1991 game was a self-parody of SEGA, with multiple games from their history at the time getting shout-outs (even arcade ones like OutRun, Power Drift, After Burner, G-LOC: Air Battle and Space Harrier play their memorable tunes from 08:26 to 10:41 in a description), a decade before SEGAGAGA was released (with a same-named protagonist by coincidence), alongside cultural references of Sentai, American superheroes and Japan's culture/society between the 80's and 90's (like a man injuring his leg for trying the moonwalk of Michael "Yakson").

Despite being lesser-known compared to other Genesis games worldwide, Rent-A-Hero has proven to be popular in Japan thanks to it's comical tone and self-aware humor (SEGA's known for not being afraid of poking fun at stuff as shown in titles like SEGAGAGA), having gained a modern reputation as one of SEGA's fondly-remembered cult classics. The game is one of the 42 pre-installed games on SEGA Genesis Mini's Japanese release (even making a front cover appearance for Famitsu's promotion), the Dreamcast/Xbox remake (Rent-A-Hero No. 1, which had VMU support and a cancelled English localization - a promo video was made for the latter console) with Segata Sanshiro himself as a dojo teacher (which also has beat 'em up sections akin to SpikeOut), a live stage show in Japan and a theatrical movie/film in works (though there's been no news since it was announced a few years ago). A idea of people renting hero suits was later revived by SEGA in a Nintendo 3DS game called Hero Bank.

Rent-A-Hero was referenced and the eponymous hero himself made appearances and references throughout numerous SEGA games, like Shenmue as a capsule toy (given that Yu Suzuki's AM2 team worked on both games and a Rent-A-Hero No. 1 remake being close in gameplay), a cameo in SEGAGAGA's final cutscene, a SEGA 60th anniversary icon in Sonic Colors Ultimate, a collectable in Earth UFO Catcher, a "rental hero" system in Sonic Forces, a selectable song in Samba de Amigo, a poster on Sarah & Jacky's stage in Virtua Fighter 2, container trucks with "Nomoruwa" written on them in SpikeOut Final Edition (based on Corja's president who Taro saves from assassination; the original arcade game's project codename was "Rent a Hero Returns" - at 1997), a "OKA" name entry song in Daytona USA, a puzzle in Picross S: Mega Drive/Genesis & Mark III/Master System Edition, Akira & Kage's pre-battle dialogue with Captain Commando in Project X Zone 2 and even a Egg Monster in Square Enix's Hanjuku Hero: Aa, Sekaiyo Hanjukunare...! alongside Dr. Eggman and Carbuncle. And finally, Fighters Megamix with his very own vocal theme from Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, where he fought various SEGA characters such as Virtua Fighters, Fighting Vipers and Daytona USA's famous Hornet itself. Perhaps this was where the Part-Time Hero job from Yakuza: Like a Dragon got inspiration from?

For Battle of AGES, Taro would be a super fun character, who's not only a relatively deeper cut and legacy character pick, but could also bring really cool moveset possibilities and tons of personality (even designed a example entirely all by myself), with a balance of tokusatsu-like and comical moments (given him being cheerful and curious, who always has interest in new things and sometimes gets himself into trouble because of this; talk about being a easygoing everyman-turned-hero) in his series, being able to perform various martial arts moves such as punches and kicks for primary attacks, but he also has projectile attacks (a slashing projectile's named Sonic Cutter and used at 1:42 in this tweet's video) with Super Energy Combat Armor's weaponry, even being capable of charging up for powerful special moves with electric/energy properties in both titles (techniques like Rent-A-Somersault, Energy Sword, Dragon Thunder, Self Recover for healing, Space Barrier, etc. - above a linked section), which also apply for smash/strong attacks.

Borrowed from both the original game and Fighters Megamix (with his command list below), Taro's armor has a gimmick, the battery meter which depletes over time and lowers much faster when using special moves or fully-charged smash attacks consecutively. Once it drops to zero, his armor wil shut down and disappear into a civilian form (front/back; with a different SEGA shirt depending on palette), making him weaker in stats and unable to use special moves in their full potential, unless he's either KO'd or charged up it's batteries with a special move (likely the downwards input), which fully refills his suit meter and allows him to use the Super Energy Combat Armor again. His All-Star Move may even involve Rent-A-Hiroko (debuted in a remake and appeared on promotional materials, instruction books, plush dolls and an afore-mentioned live stage show) joining him in a tag-team beatdown with powerful martial art/energy attacks.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Was about to sit it out, since I don't know much Sega, but then remembered I'm a Sonic fan, and tried to remember what tangentially-related series there were to Sonic...

Is Ikaruga counted as a Sega franchise?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Was about to sit it out, since I don't know much Sega, but then remembered I'm a Sonic fan, and tried to remember what tangentially-related series there were to Sonic...

Is Ikaruga counted as a Sega franchise?
No, Ikaruga is one of the few Treasure games that they themselves actually own.

If it helps, if you still want to submit another Treasure character there's Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier and Guardian Heroes to choose from. If there's something else you're looking for, I'm also willing to help.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
B.D.Joe-transparent.png

B.D. Joe
We do already have the crazy Taxi mini-game, but considering we have a Total War mini game and a playable rep I don't think this is a stretch. Crazy Taxi is a really popular and iconic arcade ggame that is making a long awaited comeback as one of Segas many recently announced franchise revival attempts. The game is a huge part of Segas history and I think deserves the nod. There are a couple characters you could choose but Joe strikes me as the clear front runner. He's a fan favourite, by far has the most personality and already has crossover cred with the all stars racing games.

I think B.D. Joe could kind of be our Captain Falcon. He'd have an original moveset that involves his love of music and chilled nature, but would also reference his role as a Taxi driver. Maybe he could even have a Taxi related meter or gimmick.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean, who else could I possibly have put forward?

Our roster is fantastic...but imagine how much more perfect it would be if it was populated by the most beautiful man in the known universe?

Let me just try and fix that...

Horatio-Roster.png

Ah, much more elegant. Much more beautiful. Much more...Horatio.

WELCOME TO THE WE.

Job 286: Horatio (Endless Space)

thomas-du-crest-es2-artstation-horatioillus.jpg

The who? Aka The We.
The one, but certainly not only, Horatio.

This bored narcissistic trillionaire who escaped Auriga's destruction(see Endless Legend) and set forth for the stars. Along the way he stole ancient cloning technology from the now extinct Endless (see Dungeon of the Endless) and set about cloning himself enough to be recognised as a major space faring faction(see Endless Space AND Endless Space 2).

Not content with having a planet full of clones who would do his whims, he looked up to the stars and set about a plan to populate the entire galaxy with Horatio...by splicing other less attractive species into his DNA and creating Horatio as a unifying, and most importantly, beautiful, ruling species.

Horatio Prime realised quite early on that having clones as ambitious and egomaniacal as yourself was a mistake, and after killing off Horatio the second and Horatio the third, he finally created a less trecherous and more loyal clone in Horatio the Fourth. Or did he? Horatio then set about mass creating loyal clones, teaching the importance in uniformity whilst upholing a rigid class structure. All Horatio would be obsessed with beauty and class, but look up to him as the one true Horatio.

The why?
Endless is one of the few Modern European Sega IPs that we've skipped over so far. Two Point Hopsital has a stage, Total War has a minigame and a character and Football Manager has a character dedicated to it too. Last year it launched a brand new title in Endless Dungeon. Which is excellent. It has a drakken barkeeper. Play it.

But then why skip over Fassie, said drakken barkeep, and go for Horatio?

Horatio has the odd honour of being one of the few reoccurring characters in the Endless series. To date the only piece of Endless material he's not appeared in yet (or been linked to via supplementary material) is the newly released Endless Dungeon...and they're still adding new playable characters so that may just be a matter of time.
  1. His backstory is tied directly to both Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless.
  2. He's a major faction of Endless Space and Endless Space 2, something not every faction from Endless Space 1 achieved (RIP Amoebas, you're now just a minor faction)
  3. Horatio are the only faction to have recieved their own game, albeit an April Fools Dating Sim visual novel, Love Thyself (laying the path for the Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog) with the gag being you're dating your clone. The game is FREE on Steam, much like the Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog. Do go try it.
  4. Referenced by Two Point Hospital in the form of the Horatio Statue. That's more crossover than anything else from Endless has ever recieved.

How could Horatio (the first) work?
Think Super Smash Bros' Kirby crossed with Lucario...but with clones.

Horatio has the ability to splice the genetics of the other fighters and improve his own physical and athletic strength as well as create clones of which to fight for him the more splicing he achieves.

Imagine Horatio as a character who starts the match off rather weak compared to the rest of our roster, but grows in strength the more splicing he performs and allows him to summon yet more clones. Horatio is very much a snowball style character who once he gets going will steamroll the competition through sheer numbers and power upgrades.

Within Endless Space 2, the Horatio faction fully plays like this being a slow to start faction due to Horatio spending more time making beautiful(but not powerful or sturdy vessels), but over time you begin to obtain to build up strength as your population spirals out of control and you overcome the enemy with sheer numbers.

Anyway Horatio doesn't really 'eat' opponents like Kirby would as much as he puts them in giant DNA chambers before splicing them into additional Horatios. If a player gets trapped by these chambers, they themselves wouldn't turn into Horatio(as chaotic as that would be), but an additional Horatio clone will be added to Horatio the first's summon pool.

Whilst they'll still be far weaker than Horatio and easily defeated, you don't want to let him catch you too many times or Horatio will become a LOT harder to handle, particularly because of that power boost he gets from each capture too.

You may think that's simple enough, just avoid the chamber...but assists ALSO count. Those who spam their assists may wish they didn't as those useful allies are easy pickings to get converted into Horatio clones since they can't sense the danger of charging in unlike a player character.

Horatio-and-subjects.png

This could be YOU. Literally. The men cheering here could literally be you if you just get in the gene tank and become one with the We.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, thinking over the potential options, there's one particular character who hasn't been submitted in a long time, but who comes from a notable series that I'm a big fan of, and who complements my first pick very nicely. So I might as well do it.

Looks like I'm going two-for-two on 3D arcade beat-em-ups.

"NOW, THE COUNTERATTACK FROM TEAM SPIKE HAS JUST BEGUN."

Job #286-2: Spike from Spikeout

20240122_233817.jpg

For my money, Spikeout is one of the best SEGA properties that practically no one in the West talks about. I'll go more into detail on it later ofc, but despite its near-complete obscurity over here, it has a lot of really interesting history.

So what is Spikeout? It's a 3D beat-em-up released for arcades in 1998 - SEGA experimented quite a bit with brawlers in the third dimension in this period, what with the already-included Zombie Revenge and the already-submitted Dynamite Deka, and this is the third big example that rounds it out. The game's story doesn't hold much importance, but it does exist in flyers and whatnot - the action takes place in Diesel Town, a city taken over by gangs of frustrated youths who only know a life of fighting. Calling themselves "teams", these gangs spend their days brawling it out with each other to see who comes out on top, until one day, a gang from another city comes in. Dubbed "Team Inferno", and led by "Big Boss" a.k.a. Mikhail, they take over Diesel Town, forcing everyone under their control. Some resist until the very end, but eventually break down. However, there is still one team left - the strongest one of them all, Team Spike: consisting of the four player characters, Spike, Linda, Tenshin and White. Now, the fight for their lives and the freedom of their town begins, as this four-man army begins their beatdown on Team Inferno's forces. As for Spike himself, he's the leader of the team and a former heavyweight boxer - an intimidating presence with a somewhat distant attitude, he tends to stay silent and detached from others, with the exception of White, who hangs out with him frequently. However, when a battle rages on, something inside of him awakens, and he does have a son, Spike Jr., who he cares for a lot.

Spikeout is a real interesting beast when it comes to gameplay - as mentioned, it's a 3D brawler, but what's interesting is that the game consists of only a handful of huge stages sectioned off into different areas. Players mow down enemies in each section until they meet with the area's respective boss, after which you have to BREAK THE GATE and move on to the next area. Characters have a wide variety of moves and combos they can pull off, and they can also charge up attacks in several tiers. Now then, I've played this game plenty, and I can tell you right now: it rules. Genuinely a super fun and well-put-together arcade brawler. It's not without its flaws - it's incredibly arcade-hard and some button combos can be a bit unintuitive when played on something other than an arcade stick - but regardless, it's a real solid title and one of the high points from this era of SEGA arcades. It's a really good game, with a fantastic gameplay loop and a great style (that announcer's screams are etched into my brain). I like it a lot.

Now then, I've actually neglected to mention an essential aspect of this game's legacy, and I think now's the time to mention it: this game was most famous for its use of networked cooperative multiplayer. Players could link up arcade cabinets online and play together with each other - although the concept of linking arcade cabs was NOT new in the slightest, this was seen as a very innovative use of the technology and helped it gain a lot of popularity in arcades. I mean, playing a beat-em-up in co-op multiplayer with people online? That was revolutionary.

Now then, here's the part you've all been waiting for: how popular was this game back then? Once again, I am glad to inform you that although this series is not well-known at all in the West....it does have a sizeable cult following in Japan. Please clap. Anyway, please bear in mind that what I'm about to talk about was scrounged up from skimming JP sites talking about the game, and could be entirely off-base. Basically the gist of it seems to be that the game got popular due to the fact that its atypically long runtime for an arcade game, plus the multiplayer feature, meant that people could play on one credit for a long time. As such, arcade operators were never too fond of it, but it was a hit with critics and players. Since then, the game has continued to hold a dedicated fanbase - not just in Japan, but in Asia in general - that still plays the game, attempts to 1cc it, streams it, all that nice stuff. It's one of those cult titles from SEGA's oeuvre basically. As for why it's not known in the West.....well, I think it ultimately comes down to the fact that the game never left arcades, so it doesn't have a beloved console to attach its name to like other SEGA arcades from the same era such as Crazy Taxi or Samba de Amigo. Regardless, the series continued for a bit - with an update of the original game, Spikeout: Final Edition, in 1999, followed by the fantasy-themed spinoff Slashout in 2000 (I've actually considered going for Luna from this game, but A. I think that's going too obscure, and B. she might have had a bit too much aesthetic overlap with someone like Asha), then the arena-based twist on the formula, Spikers Battle, in 2001, then finally a direct sequel, Spikeout: Battle Street in 2005, which released for the original Xbox and starred Spike Jr. who's now all grown up. The weird thing is.....despite its popularity in Japan (it even managed to sneak into the top 20 of an official poll held by SEGA for fans to say which titles they wanted to see reissued on SEGA AGES), I don't think SEGA did much in the way of referencing it for a long time. Again, that could just owe to its arcade exclusive status, but it is a bit strange nonetheless, it's not like this was an unsuccessful series. That said, things have changed in recent years, as Spikeout got a couple of notable nods in SEGA's 60th anniversary - with the game's main theme showing up in their big celebration album, as well as Spike himself being one of many collectable characters in their virtual UFO catcher - and we are now finally seeing the original game rereleased for the first time ever.......as a minigame in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Sigh. Look, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with SEGA's habit of putting their 3D arcade games in Yakuza and then proceeding to never do anything else with them so they just stay locked there, and I'm especially disappointed that we finally have official Model 3 emulation working and it's only being used for this, but if nothing else, I hope that this can introduce Spikeout to a whole new audience and it can finally get the respect it deserves as an important entry in SEGA's arcade backlog.

Speaking of Yakuza! One more thing of interest that I've not mentioned so far! You may notice that I've neglected to mention who at SEGA made this game, and my description of its 3D brawler gameplay style may seem a bit familiar to you, and there's a very good reason for that - this game was the creation of one Mr. Toshihiro Nagoshi, who, after directing hits like Daytona USA for SEGA's iconic AM2 division, splintered off into his own team, AM11, whose very first project was this game. And indeed, the team eventually evolved in the 2000s into Amusement Vision, and then into the moniker that they're most famous for now....so if you're willing to play fast and loose a bit, if you consider the changes in branding through the years, you could say that this is, genealogically speaking, the first game in the extended RGG Studio timeline. Being Nagoshi's baby, this game very much had his stamp on it, it was a game and concept he could truly call his own, and around the same time, he was assigned to finish up a little game called Shenmue. The influences from these two games coalesced into a new creation of his that he pushed especially hard for, aaaaand I'm sure you know how the rest of the story goes. Indeed, Yakuza's DNA can more or less be broken down to Shenmue's sandbox, adventure and narrative elements mixed in with Spikeout's combat, and animations and sound effects from the latter have been reused throughout the series. I actually think this might be part of the reason so many people in the modern era coming off of Yakuza bounce off Shenmue, because they assume it'll be exactly like Yakuza when in reality they're only looking at one side of the influence - if you want to see the influence on the narrative, adventure style and other assorted elements then yes you play Shenmue, but if you want to see where the high-octane action came from, I think you're much better-suited playing Spikeout. Mind you, the absolute last thing I want to do is reduce this series to a stepping stone in another franchise's history - Spikeout isn't some unfinished experiment that led to Greater Things, it stands on its own as a great and worthwhile SEGA arcade title, but I just thought this was a fun and interesting history bit that would resonate with people here.

As for how Spike would play? Well, I think he can fill an interesting brawler niche, in terms of being pure roughhousing. I'm talking heavy-hitting blows, powerful punches, grand sweeping kicks, that kind of stuff, with a potential boxing edge to it. Just really giving off this vibe of someone who fights in the slums, this big heavy street-brawling bruiser, to an even greater extent than someone like Axel. In addition, I think we really ought to make use of the game's main gimmick, charging your attacks. I think we could incorporate that aspect into his moveset in a lot of different ways, potentially making him a very combo-oriented character with a lot of different options. In addition, there's one more thing that isn't really relevant to his gameplan but which I think is worth mentioning: during fights in the original game, Spike carries Spike Jr. on his back. If he ever gets hit, Spike Jr. goes ****ing FLYING off, until he comes back and starts fighting alongside his father, mimicking his moves. Again, that's not very important to his gameplay style but I think it's a very fun detail that would add a lot of personality and visual flair.

And.....I think that's it! Here's my big-ass writeup on the funny beat-em-up man. I like Spikeout a lot and I think it'd be a real interesting series to include, especially given its status as a strictly arcade-based IP with no SEGA consoles to associate with. It's a really cool game and I'm glad I could talk about it some.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Dreamcast
Job 120

Dreamcast (Sega Hard Girls)

SEGA Hard Girls or SeHa Girls is a franchise developed by SEGA to be used for merchandising and advertising. Dreamcast is a personified Dreamcast,

The SeHa Girls main piece of media was "Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls" an Anime where all of the Sega Girls attend a high school where they travel through different SEGA worlds.

The SeHa Girls were japanese exclusive until 2016 when Idea Factory and SEGA collaborated and released Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls, Which was a crossover game between Neptunia and Sega Hard Girls. This was the franchises introduction in the west and added a lot of moveset potential to characters like Dreamcast.

Between Neptunia and Hi-sCoool! the moveset of Dreamcast could be wild with references to many SEGA games and moves she used in Neptunia as well as just general sword attacks.

This is a neat and somewhat obscure piece of SEGA marketing that would be fun to reference in a Fighting Game
Will do another later.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #286(1)-The Dark Wizard Schezo Wegey (Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari)

One of the ARS(Arle/Rulue/Schezo) Trios, Sadly its doesn't seem like Rulue will have a a chance to complete the trio.
Compile held a popularity vote for their most loved characters in Madou Monogatari, Schezo came on top, getting his own game ( Madou Monogatari: Tower of the Magician ) and being the most beloved character in Japan. Alongside Schezo came in Witch in second place hence why she had importance in Tower of the Magician and they both are usually heavily shipped by the fans of the series, its also referenced in the Fever games with Feli and Lemres who can be considered the Fever era versions of them. Schezo story begins in Madou Monogatari ARS, 100 years before the events of Madou II where he's at a school field trip in a ruin of Rana and gets sucked into the void of Darkness after hearing calls for him in the labyrinth. Schezo ends up gaining the Sword of Darkness and learns the dark incantations of Areiado, a powerful dark magic.

In the last room Schezo faces off against the Rune Lord who wants Schezo be the successor to his power. Schezo defeats him however Rune Lords Influence still lingers within him due to learning Ariedos and wielding the Sword of Darkness. Thus he's influenced by Rune Lord’s evil, but can be a honorable person under that layer. With that in mind Schezo now has one mission, to become the most powerful mage throughout time. This will eventually lead to him facing Arle in the events of Madou II.

In the events of Tower of the Magician he discovers the story of Wish(Witch's grandmother) fight against Dark Matter, due to reading of her great power, Schezo decides that he is going to absorb Wish’s power. Witch during the events of Tower of Magician is doing a trial in the tower her grandmother set up for her which just happens to have Schezo crashing in. They both end up working together in tandem alongside a Tenori Zoh, a mascot elephant creature used as wepon in previous Madou games as a Carbuncle replacement.

In the Puyo Puyo games it became a running joke for Schezo to be presumed a Pervert due to his iconic "I want you line". This originates from programmer Kei Tatsuki during a development meeting concerning graphics. He wanted a woman named Eiki on the team as a designer, causing him to accidentally blurt out "I want Eiki!". Schezo is a dark mage and a fast striking sword fighter to make it easy to understand visually here's how his spells look in Madou Saturn
Areiados obviously being his signature attack. In several other Madou/Puyo titles, Schezo also show proficiency in using elemental attacks, including electric magic. He can of course have Witch help him with cosmic powers(although she's already an assist...)

On the Topic of Madou, Since SEGA has friendly relations with D4 and former Compile staff, including now that we have a Madou 4 coming in the future we should also reference the fact that Schezo was based off the antagonist of a older Compile RPG and predecessor to Madou, Madoushi Lulba, the Dark Wizard Lulba. Perhaps as an alternate costume?

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Character Origin: Rez (2001)

I think this could be a little weird and unexpected - but also pretty fun for our last character candidate, and in an odd way, a little fitting. The Hacker's Avatar is the "character" you control in Rez, a series that's already been seen a couple of times in Battle of AGES, but not yet in a playable role - capable of "evolving" over the course of its journey to rescue Eden and prevent it from going to sleep from the sheer amount of information surrounding it. Unlike other rail shooters, Rez is characterised by its attempts to imitate synesthesia - which it does using a call-and-response rhythm-based gameplay loop in the rail-shooter format - so having rhythm-based elements and mechanics could be interesting too. That's not even to mention the Avatar's various physical forms that it can take over time! With an injection of relevance due to last year's Rez: Infinite port to the PSVR2, I think it might well finally be the Avatar's chance to shine?

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Alright then, here's the second submission. Borrowed some aspects from Speed's brilliant write-up for this character (a worthy mention I'll recommend to read if you want to get into further details on why she deserves to be in).

Job #286: Final SEGA Fighter (2nd Submission) - Cenes Crawford (Thunder Force)

Cenes Crawford is one of the major characters in a horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up series Thunder Force, developed by Technosoft and started as a multi-directional overhead shooter (similar to Namco's famous arcade title Xevious) for the X1 computer in December 1983. She particularly appeared in SEGA Saturn's 1997 title Thunder Force V as it's main protagonist, in which she is the leader of the combat unit Thunder Force 222 and pilot of the three ships (RVR-01 "Gauntlet", RVR-02B "Brigandine" and RVR-02 "Vambrace"), who has been cloned subsequently through Circulate-Death from the Vasteel technology, which was created by reverse-engineering the discovered wreckage of the previous installment's aircraft, Fire LEO-04 "Rynex". However, an advanced supercomputer AI called the Guardian, has gone haywire and planned to use the Vasteel technology to wipe out the mankind, with Cenes volunteering to put an end to this. Later on, ten years after this accomplishment (around Thunder Force VI, the last title), Cenes has been cloned without any memories of her previous life as result of the advanced CTNS process that strengthens the subject's combat prowess, now dubbed "C=CTNs=C" while piloting the RVR-00 "Phoenix".

The series is known for having a significant following among the retro gaming community and recognized for it's distinctive gameplay (being often held up as one of the finest of the shoot 'em up genre's kind), graphics and especially, epic synthesizer-based chiptune soundtracks that are truly kickass (even fan remix/rendition-wise). However, Technosoft eventually went defunct in 2001, though as of September 2016, SEGA acquired the intellectual property rights of their entire library (all thanks to their pre-established relationship before they closed down) and ported them for various collections alongside M2, including SEGA AGES on Nintendo Switch and both Mega Drive/Genesis Minis (TFIII and IV respectively), having developed TFVI all by themselves for the PlayStation 2 in 2008. They also made use of Technosoft's other IPs such as Herzog and Elemental Master, but Thunder Force is undoubtedly their most commercially successful franchise and their output had made a strong association and vital part with SEGA's whole history, some of it's titles being a defining part of the MD/Genesis and Saturn's line-ups.

As the character who originated from a shoot 'em up series, Cenes spent the game inside a ship and never really demonstrated any hand-to-hand combat. However, that was not a problem with how Star Fox's reps were implemented moveset-wise in the Super Smash Bros. series, in which they were apparently based on their vehicles' abilities (lightspeed warping, atmospheric re-entry and a barrel roll's function). This could practically work for Cenes in Battle of AGES, by modeling her fighting style in the form of a RVR ship (but human), using a bunch of different abilities and weapons she can achieve in Thunder Force V (and potentially VI if we're counting her clone)'s space dogfights, besides using her actual aircraft in an All-Star Move.

This basically makes Cenes feel almost like sort of a Captain Falcon-like type, who's cool design (compared to other canonical pilots and TFV being more story-heavy) can be utilized to get away for making things up while still making her feel natural by basing more on the series' general shoot 'em up gameplay, which allows for establishing the foundation of a crazy projectile-oriented fighter by incorporating bunches of zoning options, quick maneuvers and strong attacks when used in a right opportunity. She'll likely even use a multi-directional air dash in reference to ships' movement.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #286(1)-The Dark Wizard Schezo Wegey (Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari)

One of the ARS(Arle/Rulue/Schezo) Trios, Sadly its doesn't seem like Rulue will have a a chance to complete the trio.
Compile held a popularity vote for their most loved characters in Madou Monogatari, Schezo came on top, getting his own game ( Madou Monogatari: Tower of the Magician ) and being the most beloved character in Japan. Alongside Schezo came in Witch in second place hence why she had importance in Tower of the Magician and they both are usually heavily shipped by the fans of the series, its also referenced in the Fever games with Feli and Lemres who can be considered the Fever era versions of them. Schezo story begins in Madou Monogatari ARS, 100 years before the events of Madou II where he's at a school field trip in a ruin of Rana and gets sucked into the void of Darkness after hearing calls for him in the labyrinth. Schezo ends up gaining the Sword of Darkness and learns the dark incantations of Areiado, a powerful dark magic.

In the last room Schezo faces off against the Rune Lord who wants Schezo be the successor to his power. Schezo defeats him however Rune Lords Influence still lingers within him due to learning Ariedos and wielding the Sword of Darkness. Thus he's influenced by Rune Lord’s evil, but can be a honorable person under that layer. With that in mind Schezo now has one mission, to become the most powerful mage throughout time. This will eventually lead to him facing Arle in the events of Madou II.

In the events of Tower of the Magician he discovers the story of Wish(Witch's grandmother) fight against Dark Matter, due to reading of her great power, Schezo decides that he is going to absorb Wish’s power. Witch during the events of Tower of Magician is doing a trial in the tower her grandmother set up for her which just happens to have Schezo crashing in. They both end up working together in tandem alongside a Tenori Zoh, a mascot elephant creature used as wepon in previous Madou games as a Carbuncle replacement.

In the Puyo Puyo games it became a running joke for Schezo to be presumed a Pervert due to his iconic "I want you line". This originates from programmer Kei Tatsuki during a development meeting concerning graphics. He wanted a woman named Eiki on the team as a designer, causing him to accidentally blurt out "I want Eiki!". Schezo is a dark mage and a fast striking sword fighter to make it easy to understand visually here's how his spells look in Madou Saturn
Areiados obviously being his signature attack. In several other Madou/Puyo titles, Schezo also show proficiency in using elemental attacks, including electric magic. He can of course have Witch help him with cosmic powers(although she's already an assist...)

On the Topic of Madou, Since SEGA has friendly relations with D4 and former Compile staff, including now that we have a Madou 4 coming in the future we should also reference the fact that Schezo was based off the antagonist of a older Compile RPG and predecessor to Madou, Madoushi Lulba, the Dark Wizard Lulba. Perhaps as an alternate costume?
Character Origin: Rez (2001)

I think this could be a little weird and unexpected - but also pretty fun for our last character candidate, and in an odd way, a little fitting. The Hacker's Avatar is the "character" you control in Rez, a series that's already been seen a couple of times in Battle of AGES, but not yet in a playable role - capable of "evolving" over the course of its journey to rescue Eden and prevent it from going to sleep from the sheer amount of information surrounding it. Unlike other rail shooters, Rez is characterised by its attempts to imitate synesthesia - which it does using a call-and-response rhythm-based gameplay loop in the rail-shooter format - so having rhythm-based elements and mechanics could be interesting too. That's not even to mention the Avatar's various physical forms that it can take over time! With an injection of relevance due to last year's Rez: Infinite port to the PSVR2, I think it might well finally be the Avatar's chance to shine?
Making some things clear here because I just realized I am an idiot and I was way too vague in my original post, so I apologize. The first submission wouldn't be eligible, as this is still for series' that don't have a fighter yet. The second one is also on pretty shaky ground, as we did already add a Rez stage in DLC, and generally misc. stages and assists we've added in DLC have taken these chars out of the running (though ones we added in base are back on the table). Again, I'm terribly terribly sorry, I ****ed up hard, I really should have been clearer in the OP.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Making some things clear here because I just realized I am an idiot and I was way too vague in my original post, so I apologize. The first submission wouldn't be eligible, as this is still for series' that don't have a fighter yet. The second one is also on pretty shaky ground, as we did already add a Rez stage in DLC, and generally misc. stages and assists we've added in DLC have taken these chars out of the running (though ones we added in base are back on the table). Again, I'm terribly terribly sorry, I ****ed up hard, I really should have been clearer in the OP.
That's all good! Happens to the best of us, and I probably should have recognised that was the case too. No need to panic!

Character Name: Harrier
Character Origin: Space Harrier (1985)

A character I've submitted here before (and, funnily enough, another character from a rail shooter... funny how that works!), Harrier's called upon once more by the dragon Uriah - but instead of protecting the Fantasy Zone, this time he's here to do battle with SEGA's most iconic characters!

Okay, so... first things first, I think Harrier's in a good spot to feel like a quintessential "SEGA" pick. He's a fully SEGA-owned character, for starters - representing arguably their most iconic arcade hardware, that is, Super Scaler technology (which we don't really have in a playable role yet, despite having represented plenty of other Super Scaler games - like OutRun and After Burner - in other roles), and he's had plenty of relevance over the years with a myriad of ports - both to SEGA's own consoles, like the Genesis, 32X, Saturn, 3DS and so forth - and rereleases through... unusual methods, such as being a reoccuring playable cabinet in the Like a Dragon series.

Plus, in terms of actual gameplay - there's no denying that Harrier would have the potential to be one of the more unique characters on the roster, considering his weapon of choice is literally a gigantic cannon and he's also characterised by being very aerially adept. Plus, given the various designs seen across the series and its rereleases, there'd be plenty of inspiration we could take for his appearance! That's not even getting into (perhaps) taking inspiration from the various strange enemies you'll face in the Fantasy Zone!

So... yeah. A recognisable and iconic retro pick that'd make a lot of sense here - and one I've been shilling... maybe a little too much, but I think Harrier's in a good spot here. He'd go hard. Promise.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
And now for something completely different;

Character Name: Popo & Mushiking
Character Origin: Mushiking: The King of Beetles

Okay, so while we already have Mushiking himself in an assist role in the base game - I think this would be a very fun inclusion for our last pick - even if perhaps a little unexpected. For context, Mushiking: The King of Beetles is a pretty significant thing in SEGA's history, being one of the most popular card-based games they made in the 2000s (and also one of the first!) Now, while you might point to Love and Berry as an instance of us already having represented this - I'd argue that Mushiking is also notable in terms of its sheer popularity over in Japan.

Plus... I think Popo & Mushiking would be a pretty weird, but also very fun, character who could have a brilliantly unique playstyle. Popo would ride atop Mushiking, and the pair would use both beetle-based attacks akin to in beetle fights (a pretty prominent cultural phenomenon in Japan) as well as some unique attacks and elements from Popo (such as forest fairy magic or even beetle upkeep techniques used in actual beetle fights!) Plus, you could introduce some fun little visual elements - like Mushiking transforming into Chibiking during taunts or victory screens.

While I think this would be an... odd pairing, I think they have a lot of potential! From both a gameplay perspective and in terms of their popularity, they're pretty fitting for a game like this - and wouldn't a pair like this be such a fun way to end this game's (non-guest) roster on?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Shou (Burning Rangers)

After a firefighter gave their life to save him from an untimely death, Shou considered it his debt to save others like himself. With a plasma gun and advanced energy-crystal technology, rookie Shou and his team, called the Burning Rangers, fight fire and monsters to protect civilian life above all.

Why?
He's so cool! I'm not sure how we're doing on Saturn reps (and I'm not about to open a bunch of fandom tabs on my laggy school chromebook), but if we're lacking on those, then he's your guy!

What would Shou do?
So Multiversus really opened my eyes to the possibility of characters who fight in super unorthodox ways, like how Tom & Jerry are just trying to beat each other up the whole time and opponents are just caught in the crossfire. So I can imagine certain moves might make Shou dodge a fire that appears, and acts as a trap for opponents, and then he can maybe put the fire out later for a big area-of-effect attack. But besides being a trapper, he might also be a grappler. Maybe he could have some kind of crystal meter, and use it to teleport his opponents around the stage. I'm just throwing ideas out. I love the potential in this guy.

And of course, we gotta have a Tillis alt. She can talk to animals, apparently? That's about the last thing I expected to learn when researching Burning Rangers. Plus the monsters thing? Seems like Sonic Team had a lot of fun making this game.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #286a: Ecco the Dolphin
1706056539286.jpeg

Ecco the Dolphin is the star of the titular Mega Drive game and its sequel, games that were ported to the Sega CD, as well as a Dreamcast title, and even a Pico title, Ecco Jr. Kind of! He is, as you can see, a regular dolphin, albeit one who can swim fast to travel through time, communicate via echolocation and possibly psychic abilities, and is very powerful when ramming into enemies.

I thought long and hard about who I wanted to consider. It was a genuinely difficult choice, and part of me felt just a little guilty going with a Mega Drive rep, but the fact is, I love Ed Annunziata, creator of Mr. Bones, Kolbiri, Three Dirty Dwarves, and Ecco. He's a really unique creator who made interesting Sega properties and I really would love to honor him. Ecco has enough staying power not just in the US but in Japan as well, and I loved the Ocean Hunters pitch submitted for our earlier prompt. Ultimately, I think he's a cool dolphin and it'd be fun to have another extremely non-human fighter on the roster, one who could swim through the air and do neat Ecco things.

I was considering Sketch Turner as one of the few other characters of his ilk that Japan actually references sometimes, but I feel good about this guy.

Job #286b: Jack Cayman (MadWorld)
1706057145780.jpeg

A character that has come close many times but never made it in, Jack Cayman from the Wii game MadWorld is just cool, man. MadWorld is such an interesting, hyper-stylized game and I really just want to see him get the chance to make it in. Not everyone is going to get on this roster and I get that but man, the black-and-white vibe is so cool, and would make for both a great character and a great stage. I don't need to sell MadWorld to you, we've talked about it in this thread enough. Let him chainsaw some folks!!

---

It was difficult choosing who I wanted to put forward. I wanted characters with some weight to them, some notoriety, some punch, you know? I hope that these are acceptable. It was tough leaving Battle Golfer Yui or Jake Paterson or any number of characters I love on the table but this is what I'm sticking with. There's such a cool pool of characters already. This project has been a joy to be part of from start to finish.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I have another submission idea which I’ll do tomorrow but before then I would like to submit Shadow Yamato from Eternal Champions:

Eternal Champions is a fighting game series made by Sega in 1993 for the Genesis that was basically their answer to Mortal Kombat. While not too big a deal in Japan it’s a cult classic in the west and back in the day was even enough to spawn a sequel, two spin-offs, (which are both seen as really bad- hey it really is like Mortal Kombat!) and a comic book series. It centres around a fighting game tournament between characters from various time periods. Shadow Yamato herself is an assassin working for a corporation who was killed for exposing their corruption, and brought back for the tournament. She’s probably the most popular character from the series and one of those spin-offs was for her. Eternal Champions was praised for being much more than just a Mortal Kombat clone at the time, including a weapons system, in-depth storyline and completely different ways of executing moves. Don’t worry, they still had fatality equivalents though. Personally, I briefly played it and while I’m not a fan of the 90s Mortal Kombat style of fighting games I still found it pretty enjoyable.

Now I’ll be completely transparent, Eternal Champions is not that important overall to Sega history. It still has its place as a cult classic but in Japan it isn’t really known (presumably due to its Mortal Kombat inspiration) and the sequel wasn’t even released there. It hasn’t even been released in any Sega collections. Here’s the thing though, this project is very much based on Sega’s legacy IPs that are influential to their history and a lot of our DLC picks have been Japan centric. That’s great. I think it’s fantastic even but I think we absolutely have room for more characters important to other regions and other aspects of Sega history. Plus Eternal Champions was popular in Europe as well so it’s not like it was just American, violence loving Mortal Kombat fans who’s parents will only let them buy a slightly tamer game who liked Eternal Champions.

It’s not like Eternal Champions is completely ignored by Sega too! It got a Steam release and according to data leaks there might be a reboot in development. A reboot was actually planned in 2017 too but that never came to fruition. A lot of the reason Eternal Champions was forgotten was also because… hmm I wonder if 90s Sega had any sort of other fighting game series they might want to prioritize. Shadow Yamato might not be as influential but I hope we might be able to give her a chance.

Top Bottom