• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Voting time is over. Let's take a look:

Spud: 2 points
Vincent: 9 points
EO: 18 points
Sorceress: 7 points
Derek: 12 points
Oume/Otane: 5 points
Velvet: 3 points
Irori: 4 points

Our second Season 4 fighter will hail from Etrian Odyssey!!!!!

And now, of course, it's time to decide who it'll be:

Job #276: Submit an Etrian Odyssey fighter

This might seem a bit overwhelming, but luckily the submitter already provided a list of possible candidates, so those might be good to pull from as a starting point. However, the EO series has had a wide variety of classes, so I think we can find out about some fun stuff regardless. Do as much research as you need to, I hope to see some cool picks

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
Job #276: Shilleka
1696929372431.png

While I'm personally fine with the idea of including a character who'd serve as a generic representative of a single class, I was curious whether there were any actual characters in Etrian Odyssey who might be good reps, and I stumbled upon her. Shilleka was the main shopkeeper in the first entry in the series - kind of like the Anna of that game, and in that vein she eventually ended up returning as a party member that briefly joined you in Etrian Odyssey Nexus, making her one of the series' very few recurring characters between entries. I don't believe she's tied to a particular class, but since she's a weapon seller, I was thinking maybe she could serve as a weapon master type character that could represent all the classes in the original game! From what I understand, the shopkeepers seem to be among the more popular characters in the series, so maybe she could represent them in some way? I feel a bit guilty for acting like I know what I'm talking about with a series I've never played, but I will admit I kind of just support her now because I like her design and think it would be very distinctive and idk, I think she seems cute. :p

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #276: Hexer

Hexers.png

Looking through the many classes available in Etrian Odyssey, I was trying to come across a class that would offer something a little less usual than the standard stock class archetypes but that still appeared in multiple titles in the series to be a semi understandable choice when I came across this interesting class.

The Hexer, as their name suggests, fight by casting hexes upon their enemies.
These hexes can cause all manner of ailments in opponents, including binding their legs, head and arms, lowering defences and resistances, poisoning the enemy, forcing them to sleep, trading HP with the opponent and even installing 'Fear' via the Evil Eye curse, a curse that can then be comboed into forcing the enemy into hurting themselves, attacking an ally or even act as a shield for the party.

In Battle of Ages I can see the Evil Eye ability causing opponents to take their own special attack, allowing Hexer to work as an interesting counter fighter...providing they pull the timing off. This ability would also work on Assists, allowing Hexer to steal an opponents assist and turn it on the summoner.

Another interesting ability they possess is the 'Sacrifice' ability that allows them to perform an almighty attack curse against all opponents. In EO, Hexer will KO an ally in order to inflict this damage on their opponents. In Battle of Ages, I could see this translating by Hexer sacrificing their own assist in order to pull this off. Combo this with their ability 'Reincarnate' which can revive fallen allies at the cost of them being weakened, and we have an interesting mechanic to build around.

EO_Hexer.png
New-Hexer.png

Of course Hexer's also have a few drawbacks.

Whilst their hexs are great at manipulating foes mobility options, hit hard and they can take full advantage of assists, they are not front line fighters.

Weak melee damage, low defences and low HP mean the Hexer will need to play defensively at the mid range to long range and strike from afar to get the best out of those hexes. Allowing an enemy to get too close will pose a big problem, so it'd be prudent to learn the range of your hexes to prevent any nasty surprises!

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
1-survivalist2.png

Survivalist
Quick-witted explorers who are experts at forest survival. They can disguise themselves, allowing them to go unseen as they prepare to unleash a barrage of arrows to eliminate the enemy. We don't have an archer yet and I think a moveset that makes archery with stealth is a really cool idea. They're speedy, and hard-to-hit, while hard-hitting.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Resubmitting Gunner Chan.

Gunner
Gunner (Female).png

The favorite of Atlus, I mean she has Jack Frost on her hat! Of course she's the favored one! Gunner can use elemental bullets like Flame/Ice/Volt, Snipe bodies parts and bind them so they cant be used for short periods of times, charge their guns up, cause shell shock, and even ricochet their bullets! This were a special part of this character comes in, A gunner has to pinpoint an enemy's weakness so In reference to PSO2 were gonna give her an ability similar to WEAK BULLET, an ability learned by the Ranger class in PSO2. What happens to an opponent that gets hit by a bullet its weak to? they get debilitated for a short period of time making them prey to the gunner and other opponents. Be wary though Gunners are ranged fighters for a reason, they have incredible attack power but their health and defense make them a literal glass canon. You can call in several guild party member to help out in surviving though just like in the labyrinth. A War Magus can heal you, A Paladin can increase your defense, A Hexer can curse an enemy, A troubadour is a jack-of-all-trades.

Just to add a bit more, with the release of Origins, you can now choose between normal Gunner and black haired Gunner who has Black Frost pin on her hat!
Gunner.png

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #276:
Character Name: Sovereign
Character Origin: Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
(2010)

Though perhaps not as instantly iconic as other classes, the Sovereign is pretty interesting on a mechanical level, and could allow us to represent a variety of unique elements of the Etrian Odyssey franchise's gameplay - namely, buffing allies and using a variety of magical skills. (I think they'd be cool, at least.)

I'd take this into account when suggesting their moveset could have elements of a summoner archetype - reasonably capable on their own, but excelling when controlling allies that they can summon into the field (which could include other classes, such as the Farmer.) This would give them a really unique feel compared to other characters on the roster, allowing you to really get a feel for how controlling other units might be within the context of a fighting game (but obviously simplified.)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Harbinger
75397-396.png

Echoing a lot of what the original post said here - Harbingers are a class of reapers that make use of a shadowy substance known as Miasma to either debilitate enemies or cover themselves in it, gaining Miasma Armor, which enables certain abilities and improves many of their stats. I think a scythe user would be a lot of fun and you could do some interesting stuff with Miasma, not only as a debuff but potentially some sort of install

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Gunner (I think there's a lot of potential here, and from my admittedly limited research, she seems pretty popular overall.)
  2. Hexer (Honestly, a hex-based moveset seems like it could be really neat, and I like the idea of playing with mechanics like this.)
  3. Shilleka (She has a pretty neat design, and I think the "weapons merchant" archetype would be pretty fun!)
Lots of awesome submissions here though!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Sorry for the wait, I kept getting occupied!

Here are the results:

Shilleka: 5 points
Hexer: 4 points
Survivalist: 1 points
Runemaster: 1 points
Gunner: 15 points
Sovereign: 0 points
Harbinger: 10 points

The second character in Season 4 will be the Gunner!!!!!

Here's our first batch of EO jobs:

Job #277: Submit a moveset for Gunner

Once again, you're free to do this whenever you want

Job #278: Submit an Etrian Odyssey stage

Of course EO is getting its own stage, and now it is time to Decide

Have fun!

darkvortex

Smash Lord
medium-75e853c9aba6ea11e7288734a98c5297.png

Yggdrasil Labyrinth
A massive stage, think something like Great Cave Offensive from smash 4 or New Pork City from Brawl. There are multiple floors to the stage, that you can jump up and down from, with treasure chests and traps scattered throughout the stage. Opening these chests may Grant you items. There arw also enemies known as FOE that may appear at random and act as stage mini bosses that must be defeated, there are four of these (Ragelope, Kuyutha, Wolf and Moa).

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #278: Cyclopean Haunt
160.jpg

Beneath the very bottom of Yggdrasil sealed away is home of the Deeps Ones of Lovecraftian horror. This labyrinth is the very last one you face in EOIII and only the most skilled adventurers can survive its treacherous setting. Traps, pitfalls, slippery areas, no reception, and thorny patches, this dungeon is quite literally the monster itself. Beware of large eyes trying to spot you, they will alert the Tentacle FOEs that will do massive damage on players they can however be defeated.

1698561626996.png

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Heavenly Keep
EO2_Heavenly_Keep.png

The penultimate stratum in EOII (our playable rep's game of origin!), this is a floating fortress where your party enters to face off the Overlord. In the game itself, you fight inside the fortress, making your way across the halls, but I'd actually like to suggest we take some creative liberties and have it take place outdoors, having players fight on the fortress. This is because IMO it's a more interesting stage archetype than a "villain's lair" stage which we already have plenty of, and generally I think the idea of this huge floating fortress/airship/whathaveyou could be really fun and is something we haven't really touched upon yet - I mean, we didn't even do that for our Skies of Arcadia stage! So yeah, that's my pitch

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Sorry for the wait, fellas - we're starting up the stage vote!

Here are our options:

Yggdrasil Labyrinth ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Cyclopean Haunt ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Heavenly Keep (me)

Here's the poll:

We're moving onto our next couple of jobs now:

Job #279: Submit an Etrian Odyssey assist

Yes of course there will now be an EO assist to finish up the series' representation. Do as much research as you need to do, and have fun

Job #280: Submit up to two items

Here they are: our last items! This job has historically not gotten a lot of submissions, so this time I'm not going to drag my feet expecting more than like 2-3 people to submit, all I ask is to see some good submissions. Quality over quantity, you feel me?

My job here is done. See you next time

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #279:
Assist Name: Roly-Poly Tanuki
Assist Origin: Etrian Odyssey Nexus

Aww, look at this little guy! He looks so precious, I bet he wouldn't hurt a fly - just look at how cute he is~

Oh.

The Roly-Poly Tanuki is a monster introduced in Etrian Odyssey Nexus, being a pretty cute low-powered monster you can face off against that, at first, seems pretty unthreatening. However, it's unique in that it'll use Change Magic, allowing it to transform into a significantly more powerful and threatening monster than this little critter.

Here in Battle of AGES, he'd work similarly - when summoned, he'll strike a cute pose before transforming using Change Magic into one of the three forms that it can attain in EON. They only occur under given specific circumstances, and have different unique moves of their own. These are:
  • Rebel Wolf, who only occurs if the Roly-Poly Tanuki is on the same ground plane as an opponent, but further away. It then charges toward them whilst using Raging Flame, a flamethrower-like attack in front of it that deals repeating damage to opponents caught within it.
  • Roaming Ananas, who occurs if the opponent is particularly close by. It uses Potent Acid, spewing powerful acid all around it which temporarily stuns an opponent hit by it, dealing significant damage and a lingering poison effect on them.
  • Carmine Beak, who occurs if the opponent is very far away and/or airborne. It'll use Crimson Gale, which has it point toward the opponent's location and suddenly fly at incredible speed toward them - dealing big damage and knockback if it hits. However, because it targets in a straight line, it can be avoided by skilled players.
Note that the Roly-Poly Tanuki can be defeated if its attacked - and the cute pose it strikes beforehand might give your opponent the opportunity to defeat them before it can even transform and attack to begin with. It only transforms and attacks once - depending on the monster it's transformed into, it'll do a second pose as that monster, then despawn.

Job #280:
Item Name: Shop Balloon
Item Origin: Fantasy Zone (1986)

A balloon that can spawn in and floats on the stage from left to right, gradually moving upward over time. Fighters are able to move it by moving into it, allowing them to position it if they want. If it gets attacked at any time, it'll instantly pop - dropping below a Heavy Bomb in the process which powerfully spikes anyone hit by it in the air, or buries them if they're on the ground. In addition, if it's not attacked after a certain period of time, it'll pop of its own accord - dropping the Heavy Bomb in the process.

Item Name: Rocket
Item Origin: ChuChu Rocket! (1999)

A throwable projectile in the form of a rocket. When thrown, it'll fall until it hits the ground - at which point it will flash, then begin to rocket upwards. Opponents hit by the rocket are multi-hitted in an upward direction, and can even be carried off-stage if at high enough percents, so be careful! Notably, if hit whilst in its pre-launch state, it'll topple in that direction and then launch horizontally - and if it's thrown into someone whilst airborne, it'll do a little bit of damage but won't launch at all.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Job #279:
eo-landsknecht-removebg-preview.png

Landsknecht
an iconic and common class from across the Etrian Odyssey series. They will let out a war cry, before changing forward with a sword attack. Once they catch the opponent, they'll slash at them multiple times with various sword attacks. Think like the various sword based assist trophies in smash. Their war cry will also buff their summoner. They are unique in that they will take on a random design from across the series in differing genders.

Job #280:
Angry_Birds_Flock.webp-removebg-preview.png

Angry Birds
Guess Sega owns this now? I don't think we really need to include it in a playable role, but I do think it's an important enough part of gaming history to include in some way. This could probably work as an assist too, but I think it fits well here. The titular furious fowl will appear on the stage, which one appears is rnKdm. There is a red Bird, yellow, and a bomb bird. You can throw them across the stage at your opponent. Red will simply strike them, Yellow will go faster, and the Bomb, which is rare, will explode on impact. They have all their sound effects and visual effects from their home games

Cube_spray_paint.jpg

Spray Can (Jet Set Radio)
This might infringe on Beat's moveset a bit, but I think they can co-exist. Picking up the can allows you to tag your opponent, sprawling them with spray paint. This will slowly deal damage to your opponent, and will also slow them down.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #280

Item 1:

Item Name: Spirit Ball
Item Origin: Altered Beast (1988)
Spirit-Ball-Altered-Beast.gif

These silver spheres contain spirit power of the beast. For each you gather you will get a temporary attack power boost for 5 seconds a piece.

However, if you obtain three of them in a match then you'll temporarily transform into an ALTERED BEAST. Your character will suddenly be enveloped in flames, as they shift into their werebeast form.

Centurion-Mid-Transformation.png

Once a werebeast, your basic attacks will have a huge power boost and hitting your special move buttons will allow you to perform a ONE HIT KILL move on your opponent, shooting forward and removing a stock!

...providing you manage to connect it anyway. Miss and the only beast you'll be emulating is a sheepish sheep.

You'd best be quick too when in the Altered Beast form as the spirit balls will be sucked out of you and into the underworld if the special move is not used within 30 seconds!

Note: the Altered Beast form will vary from character to character (Opa-Opa for example has the Weredragon form as he's more flight based and it fits better with his general movement), being of Werewolf, Weredragon, Werebear and Weretiger forms. Sonic, however gets a special exclusive Werehog form.

Despite the different forms the one hit kill itself will remain functionally the same as this will be just a visual guide.

(Item 2 and EO assist to come later)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #279: Olympia

A Yggdroid that camps in the labyrinths protecting the Deep City from within. While initially a friendly person to explorers, she is actually leading them on to their deaths to prevent them from getting further in and feels no remorse or sympathy. Depending on your dialogue choices she will end up being your enemy or ally in the story. Yggdroids sacrifice their health for stronger power, leaving Olympia out for too long will cause her to self destruct that KOs opponents with ease.

Job #280 Bringing this back.
Job #259: Super Energy Combat Armor (Rent-A-Hero)
View attachment 371906

Armor created by SECA(SEGA) to give anyone super strength to take out crime in the city. Grabbing this suit out of a box with its label has the user dress in the heroic suit and doubles their strength in battle, however it only last for a short period of time as these suits require batteries to use. Male characters will get Taro's armor and Female characters will get Hiroko's armor.
Gearskins (GunValkyrie)
1699823300102.png

A steam powered armor that can propel you up in the air or dash forward like a jet pack used by an elite military force to fight against alien outbreaks. Boost your way in any direction at fast speeds beware though its a little hard to control and will eventually run out of energy.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting the Peanut Pedestal
Peanut Pedestal (Sakura Wars)

The item itself is just the pedestal that the lovable mascot Peanut sits upon, This item is a weapon that you hold and attacking when equipped with it turns you into a peanut statue in which you take 50% less damage and no knockback, but you cannot move. Activating this item in air works similarly to Kirby's Down-B

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #280

Item 2:

Item Name: Chain Chronicle
Item Origin: Chain Chronicle (2013)

The-Chain-Chronicle.jpg

The titular Chain Chronicle from Sega's most successful mobile title.

Upon holding the Chronicle, the book will explode open with purple lightning and summon monsters.

Whilst holding the book you'll be pursued by said monsters until they are defeated or until you are held down and take enough damage.

However! This can be used to your advantage by simply tagging an opponent, forcing the book on them instead. If your enemy gets swarmed, take advantage of this unfair imprompt team up and beat them down!

Job #279:

Assist Name: Beast
Assist Origin: Etrian Odyssey II

EO Beast.png

Known as the 'pet' class in Japan, unleashing the Beast will cause it to unleash it's move 'Rampage' in which it'll bite, claw and bash away anything in it's path. This alone would allow for a solid, if slightly basic assist focusing entirely on offensive power, but Beast has a secondary ability known as 'Loyalty'.

Let's say you unleash the beast on an opponent and they dodge and weave their way towards you, or attack you from afar with an attack of their own. Beast will instinctively appear in a flash to take the hit for you, taking the damage in your stead. This means you can guarantee you can hold on for at least one more attack when releasing the beast.

Furthermore, the Beast will be able to tank a multi hit move as well for it's master, although depending on the power of said move it may be depleted of HP afterwards and unable to continue rampaging.

If you're facing off against a Beast assister, you can always try setting up traps to take the Beast out before assaulting it's master, such as using the Sega Pods to wear down the (panda) bear before it reaches you, or simply fight it off from a distance with projectile moves to whittle down it's HP.

As a land based mammal, it also doesn't strive too well in the air, so flyers such as Tails or Opa-Opa can rain death from above with relatively little worry providing they stay out of reach of it's claws and lower jump.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, the votes are in: Yggdrasil Labyrinth will be our Etrian Odyssey stage!!!

Now it's time to proceed to voting on our current jobs:

Etrian Odyssey assist:

Roly-Poly Tanuki ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Landsknecht ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Olympia ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Beast ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 2 picks - you can self-vote, but only in second place.

Last items:

KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 : Shop Balloon, Rocket
darkvortex darkvortex : Angry Birds, Spray Can
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad : Spirit Ball, Chain Chronicle
Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy : Super Energy Combat Armor, Gearskins
cashregister9 cashregister9 : Peanut Pedestal

Vote for your top 3 picks: you can self-vote, but only in third place.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
1. Beast
2. Olympya

1. Spirit Ball
2. Chain Chronicle
3. Shop Balloon

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Roly-Poly Tanuki
2. Landsknecht

1. Super Energy Combat Armor
2. Chain Chronicle
3. Shop Balloon

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Alright, the votes are in: Yggdrasil Labyrinth will be our Etrian Odyssey stage!!!

Now it's time to proceed to voting on our current jobs:

Etrian Odyssey assist:

Roly-Poly Tanuki ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Landsknecht ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Olympia ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Beast ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 2 picks - you can self-vote, but only in second place.

Last items:

KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 : Shop Balloon, Rocket
darkvortex darkvortex : Angry Birds, Spray Can
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad : Spirit Ball, Chain Chronicle
Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy : Super Energy Combat Armor, Gearskins
cashregister9 cashregister9 : Peanut Pedestal

Vote for your top 3 picks: you can self-vote, but only in third place.
  1. Olympia
  2. Landsknecht

1. Chain Chronicle
  2. Angry Birds
  3. Peanut Pedestal

Top Bottom