• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ecco the Dolphin

Simple stage, fighters will shrink & fight on top of Ecco himself as he swims across the ocean. Occasionally you will pass objects that can be used as temporary platforms & Ecco will occassionally change angles to jump up from the ocean (not as quick or drastic of a change in direction as in the games though)

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #269: Miscellaneous SEGA Series Stage - Party Quiz SEGA Q

Party Quiz Mega Q is a Japan-exclusive trivia video game, which was developed by Minato Giken (known for developing Game Gear titles like Sonic Labyrinth & porting Dynamite Headdy) and released for SEGA's Mega Drive console in November 5th, 1993. The game takes place in a over-the-top television quiz show hosted by Tiger Yakuto, where five participants compete against each other in different modes while answering questions, with the winner having most points while they gain or lose points based on their performance during the programme, all while commercial breaks involve ads about SEGA products.

The game was later released for the Wii Virtual Console's Japanese line-up in December 18th, 2007, and its soundtrack was also featured in various music albums like 2014's Mega Drive 25th Anniversary Album Vol. 1 and ~Mega Q Blues~ in 1994's Super Mega Drive Fan Vol. 2. It was then included in Mega Drive Mini's Japanese release, alongside it's 2022 successor system Mega Drive Mini 2's model from the same country having two different versions of the game, one of which has a set of questions about SEGA's history, with none other than a long-time composer Takenobu Mitsuyoshi himself acting as the game's funky host (even actually having hosted a live quiz game show during SEGA's Mega Drive 2 Mini stream on YouTube), from which the stage will be mostly based on.

In Battle of AGES, the stage's inspiration comes from Dreamscape's Buzz! section in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and WarioWare Inc. from the Super Smash Bros. series (since Brawl), as players face each other in the middle of the game show, with a chosen announcer (Takenobu Mitsuyoshi by default, or Omega/Rodin/Caleb Goldman in example from our DLC) appearing both in their normal role and as the host. During the battle, they will ask one of the many SEGA-related questions as answers appear at the top of the screen, in a English language this time. With only a short amount of seconds left to answer the question, players has to get themselves tagged with the corresponding letter by "hitting" answers with their attacks.

If they answer correctly when a time is up, players will receive temporary statuses (restoring health, gaining various buffs, becoming invincible hence Sonic's barrier item, etc.) while those with wrong answers will suffer with negative benefits (damaged, shrunk, turned into Jogurt, get pixelized a la Gag Item, stunned & many others). The show will go on and continue until the main fight/match is over for players.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #269: Nebulapolis - Odin Sphere

27_YiqraZF.jpg

The capital of Ragnanival and the hometown of our main character of the first book Gwendolyn, princess of Ragnanival and the base of Demon Lord Odin, Gwendolyn's father. Starry night skies consistently circle around the sky atop thousands of towers and walkways atop the kingdom. Gargoyles, Berserkers, and Valkyries will pop out to attack the players.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Probably not a big surprise for those who follow what I've recently updated on the Sega Wiki, but...

Job #269: 2 Spicy

2Spicy was an interesting mix of light gun shooter and fighting game where two players could shoot each other to scrap metal in a one on one duel.

2-Spicy Gas Station Battle.jpg

Our fighters may be engaged in their own fight, but they're not the only ones having a heated duel!

This stage takes place during a shoot out between two of the various RD-01s(a type of terminator style robot with a convincing human body). In the foreground one of the 2 Spicy player characters (Tetsuya, Alexander, Ming-Hua, Charlie, Laurence, Sicks and Shadow) will be facing off with another one in the background. Which two are chosen is randomised on each play of the stage.

Platforms such as barrels, steel girders and cars can be jumped on, but keep an eye on the duelists as whenever one hides behind the platform you're on, there's a good chance you're getting blown away alongside it! A reticle will appear on screen indicating which area is about to be filled with gunfire, so you may want to avoid that...then again maybe you can throw your hapless opponent into that area and take full advantage of the crossfire!

This stage has a shifting mechanic between the various shoot out locations, coupled with a dramatic yellow and black transition to the new duel location:

2spicy2.jpg

Whilst these cutscenes happen, players will be able to leap atop the character profiles and speech bubbles using them as platforms instead, before it transitions to a brand new location for the duel to continue.

1326333-2_spicy_too_spicy2.jpg

------------------

Coming to the end game I realise not everyone I'd like to submit as a fighter has a chance, so I should try to include them in fun other ways instead.

Personally I love Laurence, the big fat american biker dude seen in the top pic fighting against Ming-Hua. He's engaged in these duels to avenge his pet dog Washington. When he obtains the inheritence money everyone is fighting over, he opens a dog sanctury. Also turns out Washington was alive and fine.

It's adorable.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #125 - Another Super Performance! (Feel The Magic: XX/XY)

View attachment 342312

Feel The Magic: XX/XY, also known as Project Rub in PAL regions and I Would Die For You in Japan (incredible title) is a Nintendo DS launch title by Sega and Sonic Team, possibly most famous for the sensual box art of a woman in silhouette wearing a bikini. It turns out everything in this game is a silhouette, from the strange Rub Rabbits creatures to the hapless protagonist and his equally unlucky lover. It turns out what this game is is...a really silly and pretty funny little Elite Beat Agents/WarioWare style minigame-collection with a great sense of style and humor, all themed around getting into situations with the mysterious girl of one's dreams you have to rescue her, yourself, or the public from. Sheesh!

This stage based on it would be a wacky one, naturally, to fit the style of it all. At first it would seem like a fairly standard place, as the fighters start on the large Break Time! platform as the girl of one's dreams sips her tea and plays with her cat in the background and the Rub Rabbits lounge around. Nice and peaceful, right?

WRONG!

After a few moments it turns out you're on a tightrope high above the city!

View attachment 342313

And let me tell you, monocyclists aren't the only thing you'll have to skillfully dodge as our happy couple gets into all kinds of grave danger! Why, they may have to face...

View attachment 342314

RAGING BULLS!

View attachment 342319

CALTROPS!

View attachment 342320

A DEADLY ANTLION!

View attachment 342324

HUMAN BOWLING BALLS!

View attachment 342326

View attachment 342330
AND SO MUCH MORE!

So yes, this stage will have a great artstyle and all kinds of ridiculous hazards that can hinder competitors and transform the terrain, changing the flow of the fight in an instant. It's chaotic, but hey, anything for love!

View attachment 342328

In researching this stage I realized that the game has so much material you could easily make a moveset for this couple, which is absolutely hilarious to me. Seriously check this game and its sequel out if you get the chance, it's pretty fun.
THAT'S RIGHT I'M BRINGING IT BACK

ANOTHER SUPER PERFORMANCE LET'S GOOOO

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, so I wanted to put some good thought into my pick this time. I thought to myself, what's a major SEGA release that would warrant representation, doesn't overlap with our other misc. stages and isn't already repped by assists or items or such? After thinking it over, my mind kept coming back to this. This game has been submitted before for a stage, but if you'll allow me, I'm putting my own spin on it.

Job #269: Project Gain Ground (Gain Ground)
ARC_Gain_Ground.png

Gain Ground is a SEGA top-down arcade action game released in 1988. It was one of the most popular SEGA arcade titles of their mid-to-late-80s "golden era", it got a lot of ports at the time and it's treated with quite a bit of reverence by the company, showing up in compilation albums, crossovers and collections such as the Mega Drive Mini 2 and Astro City Mini. The game tends to be seen as "compilation fodder" by less informed folk these days, but it's an important SEGA arcade game that's worthy of respect.

The game is set in the far future, where humanity has gone through a long period of peace. Concerned that society is becoming too weak-willed, the government sets into motion a project to reignite the population's fighting spirit. Dubbed "Gain Ground", this is a system that simulates various periods of war for people to wage. However, the supercomputer running this simulation went berserk and started holding citizens hostage. As such, a group of warriors is sent out to rescue the captive people and beat the deadly Gain Ground system. The game is notable for its wide cast of playable characters, which you unlock as you rescue people throughout the game.

The stage takes place inside the simulation, where our fighters battle each other in the middle of a war. The game's three starter characters cameo in the background, along with hostages and enemies. The stage features hazards in the form of various projectiles such as arrows, bombs, catapults, etc. Sometimes, the supercomputer generates different structures, hazards, etc to hinder the fighters. However, the big thing about this stage is that it cycles through the different eras showcased in the game itself. You start off in the most famous part, the starting area - the Dark Ages. However, things eventually fade into a wireframe field to represent the simulation (think most training stages in fighting games) before transitioning into the next era. It goes from the Dark Ages to the Middle Ages to Pre-Revolutionary China to the Future - the four eras featured in the original arcade game.

Anddddd that's it really

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
  1. Project Gain Ground is honestly an incredibly unique take on an interesting part of SEGA's history that I never really expected, but nonetheless have really taken a liking to. The unique method of representing the game's story and central "gimmick" with visuals like that is a really clever way of doing it, and it helps a lot that Gain Ground was undeniably an important part of SEGA's arcade output too.
  2. Another Super Performance! seems like such a fun, fresh, and downright weird concept that I think it'd warrant inclusion on that front alone. The Feel the Magic series is probably one of SEGA's stranger pages in their extensive catalogue, but I reckon it's worth representing here in some way.
  3. Party Quiz Sega Q is another instance of a stage I'd probably never have thought of on my own, but come to think of it, it'd be such a fun one to see represented here given the unusually prominent history it's had as a part of SEGA's library. Not only that, but the idea of it being able to represent video ads for SEGA products (probably consoles) would be such a cool aspect of fanservice that'd be unexpected and unorthodox, but certainly welcome!
Honestly though? A lot of great submissions here. I like it!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, the results are in. Let's take a look:

Wharf: 8 points
Ecco: 8 points
Quiz: 4 points
Nebula: 9 points
Spicy: 3 points
Rub: 19 points
Ground: 15 points

So, our next stage will be.......

..........RUB IT!
Finishing off Season 3's stage lineup is Another Super Performance!!!

Moving on:

Job #270: Submit an assist from a misc. SEGA property

As usual, we'll move onto misc. assists. You can submit an assist from any SEGA thing that isn't already in the playable roster. Keep in mind that the winner will be taken out of the running for the remainder of DLC. Also keep in mind that, again, we're coming to a close here, we literally only have Two of these slots left, so bring out your best. Yeah have fun

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #270
Assist Name: King
Assist Origin: Virtua Tennis (1999)

This was actually a really hard decision to make, but I felt like King would make a pretty decent assist (and whilst he'd be great as either a playable character or as a boss, both roles feel like they could be reasonably filled by more prominent picks, as much as I love this guy.) That said, I don't want this to devalue Virtua Tennis or King himself. The Virtua Tennis series (known as Power Smash in Japan) has existed since 1999, being a series of tennis simulation games that have appeared both in arcades and in home console releases. Another entry in the Virtua psudeo-series and in the SEGA Sports brand, the series continued to around 2012, though hasn't had an entry since. Even so, the opportunity to represent the SEGA Sports brand feels like one we could really do with, and I feel like this may be one of the only opportunities we really get to let that happen this late in the game.

Oh - and as for why King specifically, he's typically faced as a high-level "final boss" of each game. The Virtua Tennis series typically has real-world tennis players as playable characters, though King (and Queen in mixed doubles or Duke in male doubles) were all invented for the series as original characters. Whilst his stats are always hidden (though we know him to be right-handed), he is presumably one of the world's greatest tennis players in history. Not only this, but King's the most reoccuring character throughout the Virtua Tennis series, appearing since the first game (though his design has evolved somewhat since then.) His design here would be based on his more refined "modern" look.

In terms of his function as an assist, King is able to powerfully serve tennis balls at an opponent, by tossing them into the air and striking them in an opponent's direction using his racket - either directly toward them, or by ricocheting his shots on surfaces such as walls or the ground. These tennis balls act as small but fast and powerful projectiles that do surprisingly high damage, though they're gravity-affected and thus have an arc (just as you'd expect.) King has three of these balls (in reference to how, in tennis, it's common for a player to be handed three balls prior to starting a new round), and after serving them all one after the other, he's desummoned. Between serves, he's also capable of repositioning himself. Whilst this might seem like a reasonably simplistic function, the interesting thing about it is that King's balls can also be reflected by attacking them, and also that his serve (tossing a ball into the air before hitting it) can be interrupted if you can intercept his ball. Also, if he hits you with the racket, it does a little damage - but not as much as the ball itself.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord

Angry Birds

A more recent Sega IP purchase, but undoubtedly a pretty major part of gaming history at this point. Sega spent a ton on this ip, so they're gonna want to have it represented in some way. Some may pitch for Red as a fighter, but I'm not so sure about that. I feel this is a good way to rep the series.

A tower will appear in the middle of the stage and then a catapult will appear a good distance across from it. The titular enraged fowl will shoot across the stage and attempt to knock down the tower. Players may be hit by the birds or get damaged by a falling piece of debris from the tower. These come in red, yellow, and the more rare bomb bird, who will blow up when he strikes the tower or opponent, sending anyone caught in his blast flying. A bad piggy will cameo atop the tower.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #270
Mr. Babu (Stack Columns)

A dark emperor baby who rules the world said to have born thousands of years ago when Columns was first born it self. Winning a final battle against Mr Babu in Stack Columns causes him causes him to cry, destroying and restarting the world all over again. When launched in battle you the player and your opponents will have to avoid hitting Mr. Babu, one hit will directly cause him to cry killing every character on screen.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Casey

Casey (Kid Chameleon)

Once Summoned Casey will skateboard onto the stage and take out a mask and put it on and use the attack. after attacking with the first mask he will use 2 more masks and then leave

These are the masks and abilities Casey can use:
Berserker: Casey uses the horns on the mask to ram into opponents
Cyclone: Casey will do a powerful Spinning Lariat
EyeClops: Casey will shoot a powerful laser
Maniaxe: Casey will throw a powerful axe in an arc
Red Stealth: Caset will slash an opponent with a Katana

I nominate this guy because just look at him, and also I feel like this is a fun idea for an assist.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #270
Mr. Babu (Stack Columns)

A dark emperor baby who rules the world said to have born thousands of years ago when Columns was first born it self. Winning a final battle against Mr Babu in Stack Columns causes him causes him to cry, destroying and restarting the world all over again. When launched in battle you the player and your opponents will have to avoid hitting Mr. Babu, one hit will directly cause him to cry killing every character on screen.
It should be noted that this job is moreso intended towards properties that don't have an assist at all yet. That's on me, I didn't account for this possibility so I didn't clarify this as much as I should have. My bad

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 270: Yui Mizuhara (Battle Golfer Yui)

BATTLE GOLFER YUI
is a 1991 Japan-exclusive Mega Drive game where the titular BATTLE GOLFER has to participate in a golf tournament and use her wiles to defeat notorious crime boss and mad scientist Professor G after the professor kidnaps her friend and turns her evil. Along the way, Yui takes on a whole host of colorful Battle Golfers to save her friend. It's a deeply silly little shonen golf game that released to not-so-great reviews...but because it's such a fun and quirky little piece with a surprisingly dark twist and story mode it enjoys cult classic status, even being played on GameCenter CX!

I think Yui would be a great assist because she can be a long-ranged zoner, hitting her golf balls and power shots at opponents from across the stage, and the mysterious gun-wielding gentleman who helps her out could even appear sometimes as well. I just think she's really neat!!

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Mobo & Robo (Bonanza Bros)

Really fun classic sega game where players experience attempt a heist in a 2d side-scrolling stealth style. The Bros have a standout design & have also appeared in the Sega Allstars Racing games (among potential other appearances i am unaware of).

Simple assist the bros with stand back to back shooting a string of bullets across each end from where they spawned similar to assist/pokemon like Staryu in Smash.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
It should be noted that this job is moreso intended towards properties that don't have an assist at all yet. That's on me, I didn't account for this possibility so I didn't clarify this as much as I should have. My bad
Alright lets try this again.
Job #270
Pulseman

Created by Gamefreak/SEGA in 1994 for the SEGA Channel online service. This game would serve as the seedling of the Pokemon teams beginnings with Ken Sugimori, Atsuko Nishida, Satoshi Tajiri, Junichi Masuda all working on the game. Pulseman would serve as the inspiration for Pikachu electric powers, its signature move Volt Tackle, and Rotoms design. Pulseman recently got a shout out in Uncle from Another World in which Uncle whos a big SEGA fans jokes about Gamefreak using Pokemon money to get back with SEGA and make a Pulseman 2. Pulseman charges up his Voltteccer ability by running and can shoot Slash Arrows from his hand from charging it as well. His Voltteccer does alot of damage and also sorta works like a pinball when it hits surfaces (Like Volt Tackle). It should be noted that Pulseman abilities go out when he gets hit by water (despite water being a good conductor for electricity??? whatever where using his games logic here anyways). Anyways Pulseman is a half human/half C-Life being because his Evil dad fell in love with an AI. His girlfriend Beatrice (a C-life being) who was originally part of the evil team Galaxy Gang (the Pokemon connections dont end) helps with him on his missions to defeat the Galaxy Gang.
Sugimori art1.jpg

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Resubmitting Sketch Turner.
Sketch Turner (Comix Zone)

This is another obscure SEGA game, but Comix Zone is still an interesting one. From its slightly different take on the beat 'em up genre to its 90s comic book style to its grunge soundtrack, it truly IS a cult classic. Sketch Turner, the game's protagonist, and his mixed martial arts(?) would be a pretty good fit for this.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright so after deliberating for a bit, I've decided it's finally time to break this one out. I have been holding off on this idea for a long time. Like, since the early days of this project. And now that we're reaching the end, I think it's finally time I put this one forward.

So here we go.

Job #270: Slap (Panic!)
PA.63730.001.jpg

See the boy on the bottom? Yeah that's him.

Panic!, also known as Switch in Japan, is a point-and-click game made by SEGA and released for the Mega CD in 1993. The story of the game is as follows: A virus has infected the world's computer network, making it so that machines all around the world start malfunctioning. As such, a software program codenamed "Panic!" is created to act as a sort of antidote. The task falls on a boy named Slap or his dog Stick to take the antidote to the mother computer. However, this journey won't be easy, as they'll have to reach it through a complex labyrinth of random and surreal events.

Yeah so as has been hinted by that last sentence, the main appeal of Panic! is just how bizarre it is. The way the game works is as follows: you traverse through a variety of areas solely by pressing buttons or interacting with objects. Oftentimes, you'll have multiple options in an area, but whereas one or a few of them will take you somewhere else, the others will instead make something weird happen. Could be anything. Often named "gags", those sorts of random events are probably the most famous part of the game, with some considering it to be less of a "game" and more of a Make Funny Things Happen Simulator. It gets very very weird, and it can be amusing to just mess around and see what every button does - at least one place I've seen has described this game as being like a playable Terry Gilliam cartoon. A cool thing about this game is that it was made in collaboration with the late Japanese entertainer Kei Tani, with him composing the soundtrack and singing the vocal version of the opening theme. Worth noting also is that the game can actually get pretty edgy or risqué with its jokes at times (there's one particularly.....infamous scene which was what gave me pause about submitting this for a long time) - this was probably what gave SEGA pause about publishing the game in the West, so over there, duties instead fell on Data East USA. This has caused some confusion in the past, with many believing this to be a Data East game, but they only published it in the US - it's a SEGA game through and through otherwise.

So why on earth am I submitting this? How popular was this game? Well, the game actually was decently popular in Japan (as popular as a Mega CD game could have been back then anyways) and it's gotten some bits of reverence from SoJ, mainly in the musical department. In the 1999 album Radio DC, a collection of SEGA remixes framed as if you're listening to a radio station, there's an arrangement generally based on the game, titled "Switch Again", which takes bits from the opening theme, "Jagajogo". That song is pretty much always how the game gets referenced ftr, as we'll see when it was featured in volume 1 of 2001's SEGAcon, a duology of albums featuring 100 SEGA songs decided on by a fan vote. The game also got a PS2 port, handled by SEGA's music division, Wave Master, which changes some things up here and there. So it mainly popped up during the turn of the millennium, but it recently made its grand comeback, with the vocal version of Jagajogo serving as the opening track on SEGA's 2021 60th anniversary DJ mix. I think this game is an interesting enough part of SEGA's history to merit representation somewhere, and it helps that this is pretty much one of the only original first-party Mega CD properties to have any sort of notoriety at all, so it provides a unique opportunity I think. This status is honestly why I'm kinda surprised it wasn't on the Mega Drive Mini 2 - could it have been the aforementioned more "adult" parts that prevented it from getting on? Idk.

So how will this assist work? Slap will show up on the stage, with a big button next to him. He'll press the button and something random will happen. This can include:
  • A giant safe dropping on the stage, opening to reveal slime coming out that makes the game's iconic (?) "ouwehhhh" noise.
  • Two doors showing up, opening to reveal a woman being chased by a skeleton shouting "RATTLE MAH BONES". They'll pass through the doors, damaging anyone in their way.
  • A hand coming out of the sky to poke a random spot in the stage
  • The button itself gaining legs and running around the stage
  • Random blasts of fire appearing through the stage
  • A giant vacuum cleaner appearing to suck fighters up - they will take damage inside it but can mash to get out.
  • A statue appearing from the ground and taking off like a rocket
  • A big hole appearing randomly on the ground
  • Coloured snowballs falling on the stage, freezing anyone hit by them
  • Thunder coming down on the stage
  • Fighters growing or shrinking
  • The game's virus character appearing on the screen just to be a nuisance, think the Nintendog assist
  • On rare occasions, the stage itself shrinking and the borders getting smaller, making a cramped space
  • The rarest outcome: a huge explosion happens, enveloping the whole stage - think something like the Moon assist. This is in reference to the booby-trap buttons that destroy national landmarks.
Some of these take more creative liberties than others, but all of them are at least inspired by stuff that actually happens in the game.

Anyway yea I have finally wrought this upon the world I can't believe it

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Been away for a week, so just catching up now.

With King thrown out as a suggestion for assist, I was inspired to try and modify my other big fighter submission suggestion:

Job #270: Horatio (Endless Space)

Horatio-the-first.png

Yes, I'm still peddling my beautiful clone boy, but this time as an assist...with a twist.

Brief History of Horatio for those unfamiliar:

Horatio was a young trillionaire, once ridiculed for the shape of his head. But with said giant head came an incredible intellect(and an unhealthy dose of narcassism too) and he soon realised that the planet full of bores he lived on were simply beneath him, taking off into space in search of bigger and better things.

He became obsessed with his reoccurring dream in which hundreds of himself appeared, a perfect utopia, and upon the throne sat he, himself. The true Horatio. The very vision of beauty and perfection.

After researching ancient technology, he stumbled across the Dungeon of the Endless, and using a crashed prison freighter to his advantage formed a team that consisted of himself, a bounty hunter, a petty thief and a mass murderer...for ten minutes before betraying them and getting said petty thief killed, and using the bounty hunter and mass murderer (whom had a massive personal grudge with one another due to their shared past) as bait for the many monsters that resided in the dungeons. Whilst the creatures were distracted fighting and feasting on his 'allies', Horatio managed to find his way into the walls and discovered ancient cloning technology that he quickly gathered up onto his own ship and escaped the planet.

From here he would go on to become the founder of Horatio, a planet he named after himself. Using the clone technology he began to fill the planet with a civilisation of Horatio clones, all of whom were reprogrammed bit by bit to worship him, Horatio, as their ruler.

Early clones were imperfect by being too perfect, and Horatio had to assasinate the first three clones he created, all of whom wanted the top spot. Horatio the fourth however seemed to be exactly what his envision was...although there are rumours that this particular Horatio murdered and replaced the original Horatio and is now the true ruler.

Soon Planet Horatio was filled with beautiful, perfect (and most importantly) subserviant clones...but Horatio had bigger ambitions than merely this and took to conquering the universe...inviting other races to form alliances, but ultimately splicing their DNA and turning them too into more Horatio.

Horatio-victory.png

Horatio as an assist - Now for the interesting part!

When summoned, Horatio will appear on stage with a flourish, lifting his hands up in a swiping motion. Clone tanks will appear underneath player fighters, capturing them. This is unavoidable. It is destiny. After a brief few seconds, the players will re-emerge as...Horatio.

Gorgeous. Beautiful. Perfect Horatio. Identical in looks(outside some player character outfits to avoid too much confusion(example; a Horatio born from Sonic will be blue, a Beat Horatio will keep Beat's sunglasses and headphones, Blue Dragon Horatio will have his cape look like dragon wings, etc), and elegance.

During this time players will gain a whole new moveset, which includes Horatio weaponry(long range lasers) and the ability to summon fellow clones, making the game even more Horatio filled!

After 30 seconds this assist effect will wear off and everyone's DNA will change back to their original characters. This is a long time, but it comes with some major gameplay tweaks:

Pros:

• Levels the playing field. Everyone is now Horatio.
  • All health bars are reset, meaning the summoner if low on health can use this to regain some health that'll carry over when the effect wears off.
  • Cannot be avoided. You cannot escape Horatio.
  • As Horatio cannot fly without one of his beautiful warships, if used at a certain time such as when the opponent is off stage, can be used for an easy kill or victory.
  • Everyone remains Horatio even if respawned for the 30 seconds designated time.
  • Horatio firearms can cause a lot of knockback and high damage...partially because Horatio aren't the most durable fighters. Use to your advantage!
Cons:
  • Even the summoner is turned into Horatio, which truly levels the playing field.
  • Horatio is not a brutal fighter, emphasising more on elegance and his cloning. As such you may find the sudden shift to Horatio unhelpful if you're more used to big strong characters.
  • Much like his ships in Endless Space, Horatio is beautiful...but fragile. Built for elegance. As such he is quite light, has less health than the real fighters and takes a lot of damage from items and other assist characters!
  • Can only be summoned once per match. Make sure to use it at the optimal moment!
Neutral:
  • Has own victory screen if the match concludes during Horatio time
  • Summoning Horatio clones can cause confusion as to which the fighter is...but that can also backfire on the player as their fighter becomes one in a crowd of charging Horatio!
  • Has own taunts
  • Cannot be played without being summoned first, and of course cannot summon assists of their own.
  • Has own All-Star move: Summons a fleet of Horatio warships which carpet bomb the stage. Fighters All Star bar carries over from when they're non Horatio.
As much of a narcissist as Horatio is, he would not simply roll over and accept the idea that everyone would not wish to experience what it's like to be the most perfect individual in the universe...including the player.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. King - I have to. Honestly it'd feel wrong for me to vote for anyone else in the number 1 spot after peddling King so much.
2. Yui Mizuhara - Battle Golfer is quite a strange title, but I love the game's premise and I feel the concept for the assist is pretty strong.
3. Mobo & Robo - I do think the Bonanza Bros. should be included in some way and assist seems like a decent spot for them. A simpler assist works wonders for them.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. King - I love this dude. So much. I need him in, and while he would be an absolutely incredible fighter, I'll try and be semi-reasonable here. He would make for a fantastic assist.
2. Mobo & Robo - I do think that with their prominence as a fun little classic arcade oddity they should be included as an assist.
3. Yui - I explained why but I stand behind her.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I got one suggestion. Can somebody please add Kotone Shiomi in this Game too?
Being honest, I know you're a new user here, but I don't think that's the right time now since the series is mostly off the table in future jobs.

But at least as a Capsule Toy (it's been quite a long time since I've last seen submissions of these).
  • Series: Persona
  • First Appearance: Persona 3 Portable (November 1st, 2009)
  • System Debut: PlayStation Portable

Last edited:
Top Bottom