• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #252: Dark Prince/Satan (Puyo Puyo)

1679638736104.png

First appearing in Madou Monogatari II as a boss whose infatuated with Arle Nadja, Dark Prince Satan is the ruler of Puyo Underworld and a Puyo Puyo mainstay villain... if you can call him that with how most of his schemes end up failing miserably.

Still, Puyo Puyo can use another character and I have fun thinking that he just followed Arle into Batlle of AGES. He has a wide arsenal of demonic magic at his arsenal so he can have a moveset that focuses on strong moves that can also hurt him if not used carefully.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #252:
Alpha Trio (Dinosaur King)

AlphaGang_DinoKing.png

PREPARE FOR TROUBLE!
MAKE IT DOUBLE!

Wait thats the wrong character. This Terrible Trio here is The Alpha trio consisting of Ursula, Zander, and Ed who work for the Alpha Gang leader Dr. Z who wants all the dinosaurs in the world so he can build his own dinosaur kingdom and become its King. Ursula is the leader of trio and she doesnt take kindly to people thinking shes an old woman. Ursula summons Terry the T-rex to fight in the games. Her two idiot lackeys Ed and Zander who are responsible for many wacky shenanigans and bad luck summon Tank the Ankylosaurus and Spiny the Spinosaurus.

Why them?
Alpha gang.png
Dinosaur King is part of SEGA's long line arcade card games and is alos created by Kenji Kanno of Crazy Taxi fame. Originally made as an offshoot of Mushiking due to children in america prefering Dinosaurs over Beetles duking it out. I feel its necessary to have atleast have one of these series represented on here. SO why the Alpha trio you ask? cause I like this trope. Doronbo Gang from Yatterman originated it and they too were also playable in Tatsunoko Vs Capcom so you can imagine how silly and weird their fighting style would be. This wouldnt be the only Terrible Trio SEGA has, as Landstalker and Gunstar Heroes also have their own as well. Alice, Belial, and Nebiros from Megaten also technically count in some ways.

How would they Play?
Dinosaur.King.S01E35.Ruff.and.Ready.720p.WEB.x264-HERO.mp4_snapshot_00.29_[2021.07.30_23.02.05].jpg

The big running gag is that their plans and gadgets always fail on them (Usual for this trope) so we will put that bit of info into their moveset. Their whole moveset is just goofy gags and partially summoning realistic dinosaurs which adds more to the weirdness of it all. We can adds other bits of SEGA references in it like the 16 ton weights from Fantasy Zone accidentally falling on them, a contraption that accidentally chains 4 puyos together causing an explosion, A Flicky, Rappy, Chao, or Chuchus accidentally short circuiting one of their gadgets. Their All Star move would reference the opening of the Jurassic Park Arcade game with Terry the T-rex, except he accidentally trips on a wire or something causing a chain reaction of chaos, explosions, and devastation to everyone.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Balder (Bayonetta)

Surprised this series hasnt gotten another rep yet, dont have much to say, unfortunately havent gotten to this series in my backlog yet but may change that soon. While not having too much series knowledge he is the villain i am most familiar with and does seem to have good moveset potential and would be a good overall counter to Bayonetta.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reala

NiGHTS might not seem like a series that needs a second rep, and there are definitely higher priorities when it comes to a new character. But I think this guy could have a very fun moveset. He'd draw on his abilities as a Nightmaren, using dark magic and various nightmareish attacks. He'd be based off of NiGHTS but wouldn't be a clone, I picture something closer to Isabelle or Luigi than a Lucina or Daisy, he'd have mostly his own attacks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Horatio-smaller.png

"Make Horatio great again" -Horatio. Possibly the first. Or the fourth. It's honestly hard to tell.

Job 252: Horatio (Endless)

Who is Horatio?

Horatio is perfect. He is beautiful. He is intelligent. Elegant. A man's man. A woman's man. A self made man. A man who can make the tough calls. A man who can see beyond the mirror. In fact there is not a single thing Horatio is not, because everything will eventually BECOME Horatio.

But perhaps it is best to start with this modest legend's humble beginnings:

"An exceedingly rich and exceedingly eccentric trillionaire who was exceedingly tired of everything, Horatio left the Mezari empire on a solo voyage. Crossing the galaxy in suspended animation, Horatio was awakened by the ship when it arrived at a habitable planet–of which he immediately declared himself Emperor.

Horatio used information culled from Endless ruins on the planet and its two moons to gain unnatural extension to his own life. In-system exploration led to other discoveries and eventually, through advanced medicines and biological adaptation, he evolved his own body into his vision of physical perfection.

Boredom set in after a few years, however, until Horatio had the brilliant idea of filling the planet–and why not the galaxy?–with the brightest and most beautiful sentient creature ever to exist: Horatio.

After a few decades of experimentation his cloning program achieved something between perfection and success... An army of equally gorgeous clones are now ready, and the hordes of Horatios are prepared to follow their glorious leader and give the galaxy a proper make-over."
-Endless Space 2, Horatio.
Whilst clearly a narcissist, does that truly make Horatio a villain? Well...yes. See; he has committed some truly heinous acts throughout his career as emperor:

1. Purposely gets his teammate killed in order to find the clone technology within a deadly dungeon belonging to the Endless.
  2. Abandoned the remaining team members whilst finding a way out, leaving them to be fed on by monsters. These characters are playable characters in Endless Dungeon.
  3. Creates himself a clone army, killing any imperfect ones...or ones that are TOO perfect and may attempt to overthrow him since they share his ambitious drive and lust for power.
  4. Said clones are shown to be killed for showing too much individuality, and told to obey the first, being brainwashed.
  5. Takes over planets and their inhabitants. Seems to be quite reasonable at first though allowing them to live on their homes without interfering too much...
  6. Liquifies said inhabitants, and splices the DNA of non Horatio into brand new Horatio creating superior soldiers with the benefits of others.
  7. Can easily wipe out entire planet worths of species using this method.
  8. Is a space tyrant in general, but goes about it with an air of charisma and elegance to mask his true deviousness...or perhaps he truly believes the universe would be better if everyone was him?
What can Horatio do?

Apart from his clone technology allowing him to summon other Horatio of a lesser standing than himself as footsoldiers to attack his opponents with laser weaponry, Horatio has access to all manner of space faring weapons, and tech. Which is good because honestly, Horatio is more of a mid to long range fighter using primarily a laser gun. He can still grapple(elegantly) but he is weaker up close as the fear of becoming dirty and unperfect horrifies him.

He has access to a variety of almost fish-like spaceships that elegantly float through the recesses of space, including warships. You can look at the 3D models for these (and flip them around, it's interactive!) here.

Due to Horatio's clone splicing ability, it's not out the realm of possibility of either :
  • Turning enemy fighters INTO Horatio briefly with say a physical attack debuff against Horatio himself, whilst giving an attack boost against NON-Horatio enemies. This would be good for representing the way the Horatio are programmed and genetically bred to obey the Horatio, and have disdain for all non-Horatio life forms.

and/or

• Taking on a Kirby style element in which he splices opponents DNA into himself allowing him to steal one of their special moves making himself even more of a perfect being.
I also would consider the more Horatio uses his DNA splice, the more clones he has access to summon with upto three at any time. These clones are easily dispatched(after all we can't have them quite as perfect as the original Horatio) but would be a way to keep Horatio alive.

On top of this the Horatio are a rather slow momentum faction in Endless Space; due to their love of elegance they take more turns to gather fancier resources to build prettier ships but as they get going with their splicing and take over they become more powerful at a rapid rate.

Perhaps this can be indicated by Horatio starting off quite weak, but the longer he remains alive the more powerful he gets with each splice only increasing his overall power.

Horatio-victory.png

Horatio's ideal future, and possible arcade ending image: Imagine these tubes filled with other Battle of Ages fighters, as he slowly transforms them all...into Horatio.

For those wondering if there's any alternative design we can have for Horatio, there is a far cartoonier one used for the Endless Space spinoff Love Thyself, should the realistic design be believed to clash too much with the aesthetics of the other cast members.

Horatio-Love-Thyself.png

Lastly; Why Horatio?

The Endless franchise is a modern Sega IP, and one that doesn't get too much attention compared to Total War or Football Manager...and that's honestly a shame, because the franchise is great and covers several different genres such as 4X RTSs, Rougelikes and even a Dating Sim.

Horatio is by far, one of the most prominent characters across the franchise. Even if he doesn't appear in a game, he has a lore connection to something in it:
  1. Endless Space: One of the many factions you can play as
  2. Dungeon of the Endless: The comics reveal these dungeons are where he obtained his ancient cloning tech. To obtain it he sacrifices the lives of three of the playable heroes from the game.
  3. Endless Space 2: Returns as one of the many factions you can play as. Interestingly not all factions managed this, but the Horatio remained.
  4. Endless Legend: Reveals his original home and species; the Mezari. Horatio abandoned them after being mocked for his elongated skull.
  5. Love Thyself: A dating sim that is focused ENTIRELY around the Horatio and no other faction.
  6. Endless Dungeon: Currently unknown as the game is not out yet, but I'm willing to bet Horatio will somehow be involved. Zed, the first character introduced is from the same original species as he is; the Mezari.
As a result, I feel he's quite the prominent figure within the series...as you would be if you became your own species.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Gamers it's been a week, I must close things down

Here is our selection:

Magician Type-0 (ya boy)
Lan Di ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Death Adder ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Satan ( osby osby )
Alpha Trio ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Balder ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Reala (@DarkVortex)
Horatio ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 3 picks - you can self-vote, but only in third place.

I have to stress this from now: think about your picks!!!! We're at the point in the game where any season could be the last, so we don't have that many slots left - so I want to make sure you really think about who and what you vote for from now on. Every choice counts.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Gamers it's been a week, I must close things down

Here is our selection:

Magician Type-0 (ya boy)
Lan Di ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Death Adder ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Satan ( osby osby )
Alpha Trio ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Balder ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Reala (@DarkVortex)
Horatio ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )

Vote for your top 3 picks - you can self-vote, but only in third place.

I have to stress this from now: think about your picks!!!! We're at the point in the game where any season could be the last, so we don't have that many slots left - so I want to make sure you really think about who and what you vote for from now on. Every choice counts.
1. Magician Type-0. An iconic villain that works well to round out our House of the Dead and arcade representation, whilst still feeling menacing in his own right, and having plenty of unique moveset potential to boot - I think he'd be a solid choice for our headliner this time around.
2. Satan. Another Puyo rep seems like a lot of fun, and a character with various demonic abilities feels like they could be interesting too. Honestly, Satan has a lot going for him (such as being Satan), so he's pretty high on my list here.
3. Lan Di. Self-vote, but I think he's an iconic enough villain to be menacing and a solid cut, whilst still feeling like an interesting foe to go up against - and (in my opinion) feels well-suited as a headlining inclusion in our third (and possibly final) DLC list.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
DING DING DING

It's time to close the vote!

And what do the results look like....?

Magician: 14 points
Lan Di: 14 points
Adder: 6 points
Satan: 19 points
Alpha: 9 points
Balder: 2 points
Reala: 2 points
Horatio: 5 points

We have a winner: kicking off Season 3, the newest addition to the Battle of AGES roster will be Satan!!!!!

Moving on, we have two jobs - as usual, I'm taking a more hands-off approach with movesets while other stuff goes on

Job #253: Submit a moveset for Satan

So yeah, anyone can pop in and pitch a moveset for this guy at any time if they so desire. Make sure to keep your movesets well-organized and relatively comprehensive (as in, cover a good amount of stuff even if not Literally Everything).

Job #254: Submit up to two stages from base game properties

First stage slot of the season is dedicated to fleshing out the base series representation. You can pitch up to two extra stages from series that got characters in base. The following already have multiple stages and are thus barred from this job:

-Sonic
-Virtua Fighter
-Persona
-Phantasy Star
-Shenmue

Otherwise, any series that got a base game character is fair game. I hope to see some good submissions thrown out there

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Gamers.

I must interrupt the current goings-on of this thread to inform you all of something.

When I first started this thread, I did it out of a true love for all things SEGA. A fascination with the incredible depth of their library, and a desire to celebrate it as much as possible.

However.

I have seen the light.

SEGA ****ing sucks, actually.

These games all suck. They're worthless. Blemishes on the history of gaming. It's insane to me that we worship such false gods as OutRun or Phantasy Star when the Only Good SEGA Game (tm) was hiding in plain sight all along.

The peak of SEGA's history. The only thing of worth they ever made.
THAT'S RIGHT GAMERS

NO MORE BATTLE OF AGES

WE ARE NOW A FUNKY HORROR BAND FIGHTING GAME THREAD

For those of you who are uncultured and should not have rights, Wakusei Woodstock: Funky Horror Band was an RPG released for the Mega CD, starring a band of aliens going on an epic adventure. This game may not be familiar to some of you, but real ones know how much of a masterpiece it is. When Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi played FHB, he almost decided to track down every copy of every game he had ever made and burn it all down. He was talked out of it, but that is a testament to the power of FHB. It is, as such, the only SEGA game worth a damn.

From now on, we will be constructing a fighting game revolving around this game's iconic cast of characters. I believe if we pitch this idea to SEGA, they will finally be A Good Company (tm). So let's get on it! It's time to get funky!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Arc de Triomphe (Bayonetta)

A touring stage like New Donk City, though it goes between the ground level (which is a walk-off stage) and the top of the Arc de Triomphe. On the ground level, the stage hazard will be the French Bayonetta, who summons the bat-like Mictlantecuhtli (I had to copy and paste that name because it is a pain to spell) to shoot lightning at the stage (which will be well-telegraphed). On the upper level, Strider (the werewolf in the picture) will occasionally leap on to the Arc de Triomphe, lashing out at anyone who gets in his way. (I'm assuming that stage hazards can be turned off)

I didn't want to go with the Umbran Clock Tower, and I figure a Bayonetta 3 stage could mean that we could get music from that game (like Viola's theme Ghost) along with music from Cereza and the Lost Demon. (I haven't played much of that game, so I'm not sure what stands out)

I'll edit in a second stage if I can think of one - I thought about a Streets of Rage stage based on the final level of Streets of Rage 2 (beating up gang bosses in a penthouse suite is a beat-em-up tradition), but the Millennium Tower stage is basically the exact same thing.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
GG's Garage

Since the other stage is based on future this stage will be based on the version from the 1st game. Left side will have speakers and right will have sofa that can both be used as platforms with one middle pass-through platform cycling up and down.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Bellbridge (NiGHTS)

This stage takes place on a small set of floating platforms that soar through the entire city emulating the path of the actual stage from Journey into Dreams

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
submitting both of these again
Job #233 Puyo Puyo Land
View attachment 363829

Blue skies?! Passing Breeze of the ocean!? theme parks rides!? Billions of dollars down the drain!? Compile going bankrupt!?
ITS ALL HERE BABY!
Stage will tour you through many different environments referencing all history of Puyo Puyo, Even Puyo Puyo Gaiden!
Many cameos of multiple Puyo Puyo characters in the background included!

Job #233 Sunset Skyscraper Battle

Fight atop a Stealth air craft blasting through the city with high action spectacles. Missiles, ninjas, and even the Iron Shogun, Kurohagane will come on down as stage hazards. You can knock him out and parry the missiles back just like in Nighshade/Kunoichi.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pit Pot Castle (Alex Kidd)

Pit Pot Castle comes from the game Pit Pot, a Master System title starring Alex Kidd's twin brother Egle that predates Alex Kidd in Miracle World by a year.

I haven't quite had the time to draw a really intricate hieroglyph background, so for the time being I'm using sprites. The green walls(thanks to Master System's limited palette), are adorned with characters from both Pit Pot and Alex Kidd titles with Egle and his beautiful bride, Princess Lora/Rooney always present.

This simple looking stage has a few unique gimmicks to it:

• The stage's layout is randomised.
    It will always consist of stone and gold platforms as well as doorways, but much like the game itself, there's dozens upon dozens of castle layout allowing for a slightly different experience each time the player plays on it. This is also a reference to the Japanese exclusive dungeon builder that allowed players to create their very own levels, maybe even one of the very earliest stage builders seen in a video game!

• The doors are interlinked.
    To simulate going to multiple different floors within the game of Pit Pot, we have a simplistic door warpway allowing players to escape incoming powerful attacks that would otherwise take them out by running into the doorway:

Pit Pot Castle 1.jpg

• The stone walkways are breakable
    Whilst the golden platforms are unbreakable, the stone walkways are less durable. A well placed low attack will smash those rocks to pieces. Sometimes the hero, Egle himself will appear on the stage, and randomly break some of the stone walkways with his mighty magic hammer:

Pit Pot Castle 2.jpg

Whilst the platform will remain if one side of the stone walkway is still connected to a golden platform, if both sides are broken from those stable golden platforms, the stone platform bridge will shatter to pieces causing not only splash damage from the shattering rocks, but also for anyone unlucky enough to be standing on it to enter a freefall! Best use your up special and recover if you can!

Await Egle's arrival and use him and a well placed attack to send your foes plummeting into the castle's abyss!

Pit Pot Castle 3.jpg

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Pit Pot Castle
2. Bellbridge
3. Arc de Triomphe

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, the votes are here, and.......

Arc: 4 points
Garage: 4 points
Bell: 9 points
Land: 9 points
Sky: 2 points
Pot: 8 points

......We have a tie. ALRIGHT COME IN HERE VOTE QUICK GOGOGOGOGOGO

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ALRIGHT FINALLY

Bellbridge will be our first Season 3 stage!!!

Sorry I sounded whiny or pushy during this period, this job has been kind of a slog to get through.

Anyway, for our next job....I was gonna do a new mode, but I'm already pretty satisfied with our lineup. We already did an update for the Vs. section, single player, the vault and online feel all pretty complete already, I thought of adding another minigame but I'm not sure if we can afford giving time to that at this point in the project. So....it's character time!

Job #255: Submit a base game series to get a second rep

We always do this, it's always good to flesh out the series casts some, and we already used a separate job to get Puyo out of the way, so this is our first season where more than one series gets an additional character for the first time. Of course, the rules are: it has to be a base game series, and it can't already have multiple reps. So your options are:

-Alex Kidd
-Space Channel 5
-Fantasy Zone
-Skies of Arcadia
-NiGHTS
-Bayonetta
-Shin Megami Tensei (including other general Megaten stuff)
-Super Monkey Ball
-The House of the Dead
-Shenmue
-Jet Set Radio
-Wonder Boy
-Shining
-Golden Axe
-Shinobi
-Virtual-ON
-Panzer Dragoon
-Ninja Princess

Of course, whichever series wins will get its own dedicated job. Have at it

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #255: There's honestly a few solid choices here, but I'm like 90% expecting to get ninja'd with some of the more obvious submissions. The problem here is keeping the successive job fun - so there'd need to be a solid supply of characters that each feel unique and interesting enough to be included whilst also having enough prominence to make sense as a DLC pick. As such, I've kind of deliberated on whether to go with this submission choice, but I've decided it'd be one with enough potential to effectively justify its submission here.

Shin Megami Tensei is arguably Atlus's flagship series, and whilst we do already have no less than three SMT-adjescent characters in our roster, two of them represent the Persona spin-off series, and the other is Raidou Kuzanoha. Whilst these are undeniably pretty cool picks (Aigis especially is someone I'd love to main), I think the series has a lot of potential for some more interesting picks in terms of representation, whilst not feeling like we're scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

For starters - the mainline series still hasn't got a playable character yet, and with iconic and beloved picks like Flynn, Demi-Fiend and Nahobino existing as logical picks that could effectively branch out some aspects of SMT's baseline gameplay whilst providing a unique degree of representation, there's plenty of potential here. That said, delving into other SMT spinoffs would also be a solid way of choosing a roster slot - Digital Devil Saga, Soul Hackers and even Jack Bros. could be interesting and fun solutions, and that's not even delving into some of the potential picks you could pull by triple-dipping into the Persona series (even if, personally, I wouldn't recommend that.)

I'm actually going to go out on a limb and suggest some potentially interesting character picks for something like this - mostly just obvious ones, though.
  • Jack Frost/Jack Bros. - Atlus's mascot, Jack Frost being playable isn't such a bad concept in theory - and with his ice-focused moveset focused on pulling from various aspects of demon-based combat in the series, he'd be unique too. If you wanted to, you could even go for a more unusual feel by coupling him with Pyro Jack (even if only for one or two moves) to give him some flavour. ALSO GIVE HIM A SNOWBOARD KIDS ALT
  • Demi-Fiend - A beloved SMT protagonist and by far one of the most iconic characters in the entire series, Demi-Fiend's use of magical abilities in combat based on his Magatama choices, and you could even blend aspects of Nocturne's gameplay to give some extra flair. Couple this with the relatively recent remake, he's still got a degree of relevancy that makes him a logical choice.
  • Nahobino - The main protagonist of the most recent game in the series, Nahobino's use of magical abilities obviously mirrors Demi-Fiend in some ways, but their unique design coupled with their fluid energy blade would make them a pretty visually-striking character overall - especially if you were to put to use SMTV's awesome attack animations.
  • Ringo - Protagonist of Soul Hackers 2, which is (as of writing) SMT's most recent release, Ringo's unique design and use of her COMP, Antikythera, would make her a really visually appealing character to play as, and her use of primarily electricity/almighty based attacks would make her pretty neat too! Also, I think it'd be cool to have Mimi with her for most animations.
  • Lucifer - Who would be better as an antagonist than the literal representation of the Chaos alignment? Lucifer's had a wide variety of designs and roles throughout the series, and continually acts as an antagonist to the wishes of YHVH and the like. One thing I think would be pretty cool is adapting the classic "blue suit" design but then having him occasionally transform into a more outwardly demonic form when using his abilities, a little like Kazuya.
  • Maken/Kei Sagami - Though only included here by technicality, the sentient Maken blade (and its wielder, Kei Sagami) would make for a particularly unique deep cut, and an interpretation of the Brain Jacking ability as some sort of full-meter move could have the potential to be a really unique attack.
This isn't even an exhaustive list, and it still doesn't need to really double-dip into the Persona series. SMT's got a lot of potential for representation both with iconic and unique characters, it'd keep this job fun for people with plenty of unique and logical picks, but also wouldn't feel like too "much" if it was handled correctly. But hey - that's just me!

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
"RESUBMIT!" (cue type-writer reloading sound effects; after that near-victory the previous job).

Job #255: Second Base Rep Series - The House of the Dead

The classic long-running horror light gun rail-shooter series with a fair amount of spin-offs (ranging from different genres such as educational through keyboard-typing/English language skills, minigames, beat 'em ups, top-down shooters and pinballs), appearances in SEGA crossovers and recent relevance through Scarlet Dawn in 2018 & two remakes developed by Forever Entertainment from Panzer Dragoon's own (with HOTD2's being in development). Thus far, we only have a fighter (Rikiya Busujima) who comes from the spin-off game (Zombie Revenge) and this series got lots of characters (both humans and zombies/monsters) to pick up for a second and possibly mainline representative for rounding things up naturally, such as:
  • Agent G - A recurring protagonist (technically playable in HOTD2 via Original Mode's costumes), who's moveset would have him using various firearms/weapons such as a handgun, shotgun, assault rifle, minigun, crossbow and grenades, alongside a reload mechanic and potential All-Star Move may either have a third-person perspective akin to the games & Snake/Zero Suit Samus' Final Smashes, or some funny ice cream truck thing alongside his companion from Overkill, Isaac Washington (complete with him swearing).
  • Magician Type-0 - Much like Agent G, Magician is an another prominent character and easily the most recurring boss/antagonist (showed up as a mini-bonus item in HOTD III), being pretty much a huge fan-favorite and villain representative which we, honestly said, lack in amount (Eggman, Selvaria, Zheng Jiang & Satan being the only antagonists in this project's roster). He also has such a badass battle/fight theme (which should be remixed unlike in base; skip to 2:54 if you want to get straight into action) and wicked/sick moveset potential, benefiting from fast aerial movements, levitation/flight, 8-way air dashes, teleporting and pyrokinesis (even using tendrils from HOTD2 and the Pandora's Box being utilized to summon multiple clones of himself in his All-Star Move akin to HOTD4 Special's bad ending; going to admit, Magician's now one of my most wanted characters/fighters - he's the major reason for this submission).
    • Perhaps Magician would borrow some elements from his Zombie Revenge counterpart, Black Magician Type-01 (likely a special alternate costume), being able to use some of his attacks (which he borrowed and modified from previous bosses like ZED's minus handguns; a laser attack may be an All-Star Move's starting part) and three card abilities (fire, lightning or necromancy to summon zombies; perhaps other creatures like Ebitan?) as part of his gimmick (possibly allowing for different Neutral Specials depending on a chosen card; alternatively, those would be used in various attacks instead).
    • Also, potential cross-franchise costumes based on Heavy Magician from Sonic Mania (not only just by name) and Jackle from NiGHTS into Dreams.
  • Ebitan Type B-3 - A recurring humanoid enemy, who also made an appearance in SEGA Heroes, has three iterations with different attack methods (miniature Koebitan & a purple sludge-covered Smoker) and can even spew goo, use a sword, his brothers or a barrel from the concept art.
  • Dr. Curien - The first game's main antagonist and a genetic engineer, who created hostile biological creatures which he is capable of commanding/summoning to attack opponents through a miniature Bio-Reactor, including Chariot, Hangedman and Hermit. His All-Star Move may likely turn him into his resurrected Wheel of Fate form (following a death from Magician) from The House of the Dead III.
    • I originally envisioned Caleb Goldman as a summoner (complete with his table/chair in some animations and Emperor appearing in his All-Star Move), but he just got in as an DLC announcer, so I decided to give that archetype for Curien instead, akin to his role in SEGA Heroes.
  • Zobio & Zobiko - A zombie couple from the Japanese-exclusive spin-off title Loving Deads: HOTD EX, who also made appearances in Sumo Digital's racing crossover games (as a cameo in Transformed).
Of course, for an additional note, a new The House of the Dead fighter would also have a different victory jingle/theme compared to Rikiya Busujima's own.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
flips coin Heads.

Job #255: Shenmue

Shenmue-Characters.png

Shenmue is a series that defined an entire genre of games. It's a technical marvel for the time, and inspired many open world games as a result. Despite this, the entire series has been surrounded with misfortune.

It doesn't look like Shenmue IV will happen anytime soon, Shenmue III didn't really advance the story at all for long time fans, Shenmue the Animation did not get renewed for a new series to cover the events of Shenmue III, and side projects like Shenmue Online and Shenmue City either getting scrapped entirely or being cancelled very early on.

Being a Shenmue fan sucks honestly.

So I say we throw those poor loyal downtrodden fans a bone and give them a second character in this title...and there's plenty of options too!
  • Lan Di: The series antagonist is central to the plot, and honestly looks like we'll never get to see the true showdown between Ryo and Lan Di. This would be a great fan service character that would allow fans to do it themselves with the climactic battle between Ryo and Lan Di, a battle that has been 24 years in the making.
  • Ren Wuying: Popular fan favourite, Ren is a more rebellious spirit than the strait laced Ryo who isn't above fighting dirty. This can allow him to have a more unique moveset. He's also one of the only characters outside of Ryo who is playable in some form in the series, being playable in Shenmue III's DLC.
  • Shenhua Ling: The mysterious and mystical girl who is essentially Ryo's sidekick. She was designed to be the deutagonist of the franchise and at the end of Shenmue III joins Ryo and Ren on their journey. Unlike the others listed thus far Shenhua is not a martial artist which would mean her moveset would need to be based around something a little less straight forward.
  • The Great Chai: Reoccurring antagonist and minor member of the Chi You Men, this hunchbacked martial artist would have a wild fighting style and low stance allowing him to have a more beastial fighting style than the other martial artists in game. Chai has several fights in Shenmue and Shenmue III from which we could draw his abilities.
  • Niao Sun: A beautiful and deadly equal to Lan Di, and fellow leader of the Chi You Men, Niao Sun appears in Shenmue III. She does not get on well with Lan Di going by what we saw, and is the phoenix to Lan Di's dragon.
  • Xiuying Hong: Ryo's martial artist teacher in Shenmue II. She is shown to easily manhandle the final boss of Shenmue II, and attempts to sway Ryo off his quest for vengence.
  • Guizhang Chen: Essentially Ryo's rival turned friend, Guizhang Chen bodyguards for Ryo for a while under his father's suggestion. The Mad Angels have a hatred of him as he is an incredibly powerful martial artist. He planned to set out with Ryo to Hong Kong, but damages his leg saving Ryo's life from an attack from Chai. He once saved Joy from kidnappers when she was younger.
  • Joy: Ryo's sidekick of sorts during Shenmue II, Joy isn't a martial artist but is instead incredibly skilled with her motorcycle. According to Shenmue the Animation, her mother was targeted and killed by the Yellow Heads due to her father being the head of a rival cartel from them. She now wants revenge against those responsible.
  • Nozomi Harasaki: Ryo's love interest from the first game, and somewhat of a joke suggestion. There's an easter egg that has this normally sweet, reserved but righteous girl fight against two thugs alongside Ryo in a children's playground. This easter egg wasn't found for TWO DECADES, which is honestly astounding.
  • Fuku-San, Ryo's earnest but unskilled training mate which could allow for an amusing clumsy take on Ryo's moveset. Whilst hesitant about letting Ryo go after Lan Di, Fuku-san would do anything to help Ryo even offering his life savings to help him afford the trip to Hong Kong.
  • Yaowen Chen, Guizhang's martial arts master father. He knew Ryo's father prior to his death, and taught Guizhang everything he knows.
  • Don Niu, the huge brutish leader of the Yellow Heads and the main antagonist of the second title. His wide frame and heavy weight would make him stand out from our current playable cast.
  • Wei Zhen, the third playable character alongside Ryo and Ren being introduced in Shenmue III's DLC Battle Rally. She is a martial artist that is friends with Shenhua.
  • Chobu-Chan; a round chicken like mascot character that is hidden all over Shenmue III in Niaowu who appears as the secret unlockable character in Battle Rally. This incredibly makes this joke character one of the only few playable characters in Shenmue.
And there's almost definitely a lot more options I'm completely forgetting.

Top Bottom