• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, time to give an update!!!!

As for what we need right now, we still have had only one NiGHTS Capsule Toy submitted. Yoshi has said he's not doing them, so if anyone else could pitch in, it'd be much appreciated.

Shenmue has enough art I would say, but I do feel like we could use a couple more for NiGHTS and JSR each. If possible, of course.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Jet Set Radio artwork:
8A9D17E8-F96A-4C48-A08B-BEACC2D90695.jpeg

Funky Fresh Beats
The cover of the OST for Jet Set Radio Future

Future
The cover of Jet Set Radio Future

Grafitti & Music
The cover of the ost of the original Jet Set Radio

Rider NiGHTS
Artwork of her from Sonic Riders. Let me know if this isn’t eligible.

4C95B1AC-F3C7-4805-B2B6-E4316D8EA4FB.jpeg

Fly Into Dreams
Artwork from one of the ads for the original game

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, that should be enough. Thanks for the submissions, everyone!

We are now moving onto our next batch of jobs. And here they are:

Side Job: Submit miscellaneous content (Capsule Toys/artwork/VMU RPG enemies) from Space Channel 5, Super Monkey Ball and Golden Axe

You know the drill by now, another 3 franchises for us to do misc content for. You can submit however much you want, and lastly I'd just like to encourage everyone to participate a little more! We've kinda had a low turnout lately, and I understand why, but if at all possible, some more help would be much appreciated.

Side Job: Submit a reveal trailer for Sarah and Jacky Bryant

I figure the Bryant siblings would be worth getting out of the way, and I don't really see any reason to reveal them separately. So we're plopping 'em both in the same trailer!

Speaking of VF.....

Side Job: Submit an Arcade Mode route for Akira

As we go through each character's arcade routes, the next one should be Akira! It's worth looking at the last one we did as reference for how these are done, but here's a reminder:

-2 fights in a row
-A bonus "challenge" round specifically tailored to the character
-2 more fights in a row
-A boss battle
-A rival battle

With a "story" tying each round together

One more thing:

Discussion: Any ideas for smaller jobs we could still do?

So the main core base of the game's content is done. Characters, stages, all that stuff is done. But now, we're taking care of the finer details, and although we've been done with proper "jobs" for now, I wanna make sure I cover all bases. So do yall have any ideas for jobs we could still do?

I'm not talking ones like we're doing right now, where it stretches out over the span of multiple jobs. This is for one-time stuff. It could have to do with some aspect of the game itself, or it could even be a bit more meta and have a little more to do with the game's hype cycle or development. I just want to see if there are any good ideas we can still take care of before definitively shutting the door.

That should be everything!!! goodbye

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Golden Axe Capsule Toys:
  • Proud Cragger
    • Debut: Golden Axe III
    • System Debut: Mega Drive
  • Kain Grinder
  • Damned Hellstrike

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Artwork (sorry if some of the names I picked are really lame lol)
Space Channel 5
See the source image

Ulala from Above
Promotional artwork for Space Channel 5 Part 2

See the source image

Ulala Returns
The cover for Space Channel 5 VR

See the source image

Music in Space
Artwork of the OST for the original Space Channel 5

See the source image

Ulala In Front of Morolians
Cover for the original Space Channel 5

Monkey Ball
See the source image

The Monkeys
Promotional artwork for Super Monkey Ball 2

See the source image

Big Banana
Promotional artwork for the first Super Monkey Ball

See the source image

Monkeys Playing Soccer
More promotional artwork from Super Monkey Ball 2

See the source image

On The Move
Super Monkey Ball 2 promotional artwork again

See the source image

Sakura
The cover for the app Super Monkey Ball Sakura

Golden Axe
See the source image

Golden Warriors
Cover for the Genesis version of Golden Axe

See the source image

Warriors Clash At Night
Promotional artwork for the original Golden Axe
See the source image

Revenge
Promotional art for Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder

See the source image

Ax Battler
Cover of the Master System version of Golden Axe

See the source image

Spoils of A Duel
Cover of Golden Axe The Duel

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Akira Arcade Route

Opening:

Akira is sitting underneath a cherry blossom tree with his eyes closed. In his mind, memories of his devastating loss to Kage-Maru flash through his mind from the Fourth World Fighting Tournament. Although he can visualise what he needs to do to win, his body isn't reacting in time, and Kage-Maru's foot slams him out of his thoughts and back into reality. Akira gasps for air before recomposing himself. He walks over to the river and splashes some water on his face. As he's looking down at the water, he spots a figure leaping between the trees. Believing it to be his rival, Akira gives chase, wanting to battle them.

As Akira runs along the river, he realises the ninja is getting further away. Akira continues to charge forward as he see's a red sports car coming his way. Recognising it, Akira leaps in the way. Jacky Bryant slams his brakes on, narrowly avoiding running Akira over. Angrily he steps out the car ready to give Akira a piece of his mind. Akira meanwhile immedietly gets into his battle pose. Jacky looks at him in despair, rolling his eyes before getting ready to fight.

Battle 1: Vs. Jacky Bryant
Stage: The Shrine
Cutscene slide:
After Akira defeats Jacky, he helps him back up to his feet, and quickly explains he needs to catch up to the ninja. Jacky looks around exasparated, but agrees and tells Akira to jump in. They drive up the road and into the city as nightfall occurs. As they approach the city, Jacky slows down, letting Akira out. Akira begins walking around aimlessly. He stumbles across some men being knocked flying, and standing in the middle is a man in a white suit. Akira's battle instincts kick in and he immedietly races up to the man, getting ready to fight.

Battle 2: Vs. Kiryu
Stage: Millenium Tower
Cutscene slide:
After beating Kiryu, the thugs Kiryu was beating up earlier stand up, calling more of their allies over to aid them.

Bonus Round: Vs. Yakuza!
Stage: Akarana Corridor

A simple bonus round which functions like a multi man melee round. Akira fights reskinned Kiryu's and Ryo's during this modelled to look like generic yakuza combatants.
Cutscene slide: Akira defeats the final Yakuza members, before spotting something jump from the shadows. Akira goes to investigate, before realising the opponent is a young woman. Needless to say, Akira still wanting to experience fighting against battling ninjas, approaches Princess Kurumi. Kurumi, seeing Akira, strikes a combat pose, believing this to be yet another one of Zaemon Gyokuro's henchmen wishing to capture or kill her.

Battle 3: Vs. Princess Kurumi
Stage: 99th Street
Cutscene slide:
Upon defeating Kurumi, Akira steps forwards. Kurumi looks up somewhat scared of the martial artists overwhelming strength. A shuriken lands at Akira's feet, as he looks up and sees a large ninja figure silhouetted against the moon. Akira believes it's Kage-Maru, but Joe Musashi is the figure that lands between the two, brandishing his katana and stabbing forward, Akira narrowly avoiding being skewed.

Battle 4: Vs. Joe Musashi
Stage: Amusement Park
Cutscene slide:
Akira celebrates his victory over Joe, as Kurumi helps Joe to his feet, throwing a smoke bomb and allowing them to both escape. As Akira wanders around he thinks back to his battle in the fourth tournament, and remembers Kage-Maru again. With new determination he is sure he can defeat him next time. As he turns the corner though, he sees a defeated Kage-Maru, at the feet of Dural. Enraged for his rival's defeat, Akira immedietly steps up with a furious anger.

Boss Battle: Dural
Stage: Duval Boss arena
Cutscene Slide:
Akira defeats Dural in the final battle, and helps Kage-Maru to his feet. As the two go to leave, Goh Hinogami is seen lurking in the darkness. He releases a re-brainwashed Sarah Bryant who immedietly charges towards Akira. Akira blocks her kick, being forced to drop Kage-Maru. Goh attempts to join in the assault on Akira, but he's blocked by Jacky, allowing Akira to focus entirely on defeating and disabling Sarah.

Final fight: Sarah Bryant
Stage: The Arena
Final Cutscene:
Sarah is brought to her senses, as Goh retreats alongside Dural. Akira, Jacky, Sarah and Kage-Maru leave together. Later we see Akira and Kage-Maru during the day under the cherry blossom tree as Jacky and Sarah watch on. With a cheer, Jacky sets the battle in motion as Akira and Kage-Maru face off.

Last edited:
Time for Golden Axe capsule submissions:
  • Death Bringer
  • Series: Golden Axe
  • First appearance: Golden Axe (Mega Drive/Genesis version) (22 December 1989)
  • System debut: Sega Mega drive/Genesis

• Skeleton
  • First appearance: Golden Axe (January 27, 1989)
  • System debut: Arcade

• Blue Dragon

• Red Dragon

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, let's get everything up to speed:

First up, we'll be using YoshiandToad's Arcade Mode route for Akira!

We could definitely use more Capsule Toys for all 3 series. We're pretty good on art but still, I wouldn't mind if anyone wants to submit a few more. Also we do need some VMU RPG enemies and a trailer pitch for the Bryants.

Finally, I'd still like to hear any ideas yall might have for any final smaller jobs we could still do!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Yeah. As the threadrunner I have to be completely honest with yall:

This isn't working out.

I wanted to take my sweet time fleshing out the base game as much as possible, but I didn't take into account the possibility that participation would take this much of a nosedive. In hindsight, the thread's progression shouldn't be locked by stuff that requires this much effort, and I feel like I've been asking for too much from the people here, and in the process, wound up kinda harming the thread as a whole. I'm sorry.

Anyway, my main problem here is that I do want to do DLC, but at the rate we're going, we're either only gonna get there in a million years or the thread's gonna die before we get there. The way we're doing things right now just isn't sustainable in the long run. It's been almost two months since the last major piece of content we added and we're still a long ways off.

So I say we'll finally start doing DLC. As for the stuff we're doing, I won't just throw it in the trash, but rather, it'll stay in the background. This way, we can still slowly flesh things out, but we'll do it in a much more organic manner and we'll still be able to move forward with the more important stuff.

So here's the new plan:

-Keep capsule/art/VMU enemy submissions open indefinitely. Yall can submit any amount of anything at any time.
-Open up arcade mode route submissions as a "submit one for any character at any time" deal instead of a slow burn one-by-one kinda deal
-Put reveal trailers on a to-do list while we do DLC, if anyone submits the trailer we currently need in the meantime, we move on from that one and put the next one on the to-do list

We'll take a short break, ranging from anywhere between a day and a week. We'll see. But in the meantime, I'm glad to announce that Battle of AGES is about to be back!!!!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright.

It's time.

Let's finally do DLC.

First things first, I should probably share what each season will be like. I've posted this in our Discord before, but I should put it up here as well.

So this is what each season will get:

-4 characters (2 additional reps + 2 new series reps)
-4 stages (1 base series stage + 2 stages for the new series + 1 misc stage)
-4 assists (same deal as the stages, 1 base + 2 new + 1 misc)
-2 items
-1 boss
-Any new music and collectables that may come from our additions
-Whatever our final season is will have a guest tacked on at the end. They'll come with a stage and the Sisyphus Buddy assist i promised all the way back

As for how many seasons we'll do.....that's something we'll figure out over time. At the end of each season, we'll hold a poll on whether to keep going or not. Once we decide to stop, we'll stop there. Otherwise, we'll cap out at 5 seasons, so if we reach that number, we'll finish things up regardless. Also, characters who were disconfirmed by stages, assists, etc are back on the table.

But before we do any of that....here it is. Finally. Our first DLC job. And it is:

Job #209: Submit a free DLC bonus character

Yeah before we do any of that, we're pulling a Piranha Plant and adding in a free DLC bonus character! This can be any kind of character, but there's just one thing worth keeping in mind: this character will not come with their own side content. No stage, no assist, none of that. Keep that in mind.

Also, just this one time, I'm breaking the "new series only" rule. You can submit anyone. I do, however, think it's important to consider the fact that we're doing additional reps in DLC regardless, so I'd lean towards a new series myself, but still, the option is there just in case. Have at it!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 209: FOOTBALL MANAGER!!!!!!

I've submitted and discussed this man many times during this thread and it's because I think having a Sega Sports rep, as well as a rep for Sega's biggest modern-day franchise (for real!) is super important. Sports games are a huge part of Sega's legacy, and they remain as such. And so, I'm going to fully repost my submission from way-back-when, because I think it's great fun. Plus, this means we don't have to struggle with adding a football stadium or nonexistent music to the game...not that a Sega Sports-themed stage would be bad by any means, but hey! Sacrifices.

________

1660576549002.png

CAM ON SEGA!!!!!!!!!

Football Manager is a long-running franchise starting in 1992 with the Championship Manager series, though following the fumbling of one of the entries there was a whole snafu and basically the team went to Sega who started publishing new entries under the Football Manager brand. And guess what? It's a smash hit! It's legitimately one of their biggest franchises! It's super popular in the casual crowd, and also I love it from a historical perspective because Sega has ALWAYS had strong ties to sports games ever since the Genesis had Buster Douglas's Knockout Boxing and the Dreamcast had NBA 2K. Sega was for a long while THE place to go for sports, and right now it's THE place to go for sports management sims.

I would see him using his helmeted appearance from All Star Racing Transformed, a very fun nod to the fact that as you can see we don't really see the top of his face. Plus it's super funny. However, I'd keep the black suit and tie because I like them more.

1660576536351.png

Now...that said...I have a twist coming. You see, Football Manager is as his title suggests, a manager. I want him to do what he does best. I see him in the background calling out coaching tips and cheering, hyping up his clients. And who is his client, you may ask? Well, with permission, I've decided to pull what Speed Weed may refer to as a Pro Gamer Move. Drumroll...

1660576570291.png

That's right baby Football Manager is gonna be managing the Virtua Strikers let's gooooo

I love the Goalkeeper idea that was submitted during the Superstars round, and I think by combining the face franchise of Football Manager with the gameplay gimmicks and kit of Goalkeeper you end up with a really fun way to pay tribute to Sega's sports title history and provide an out-of-left-field and wacky character that could also be really fun to play. For reference, here's the original Goalkeeper pitch:

Job #134: Goalkeeper (Virtua Striker)

Wikipedia defines Sega Superstars as the first game in the All-Star series, and in that one you get a series not in ANY of the other All-Star games: Virtua Striker. Although in practice, it's an Eye Toy game for the PS2, so you see yourself attacking the soccer balls/footballs, the game/Wikipedia describes this minigame as this:

So, this establishes your role very clearly in Sega Superstars. You play as the goalkeeper for football/soccer from the series Virtua Striker. The role of a goalkeeper in Virtua Striker is very similar to goalkeepers in real life, where they aim to protect their goal by deflecting and then kicking the ball back with your teammates.

As a playable character, and stay with me here, I got something really unique. The best comparison I could make for my idea would probably be Olimar in Smash. So, you would come with a moving goal on the field that follows right behind you at all times. In addition, the Goalkeeper would all come with a soccer ball/football that would be a permanent item on the field. With the ball, you would use it for various long-range projectiles through strikes, kicks, and headbutts. The idea is to bounce it off of your opponents to chip away at them, and you can charge up your attacks to make every one of your strikes cause a lot of damage. Meeting this character up close is the worst, as their fully charged-up attack with the ball at close range is the most painful attack in their arsenal. To make sure that you don't lose it, there would also be a button to have your team knock it back to you wherever you are on the field.

However, while you have a very durable and agile character, it comes with an achilles heel. The ball can be deflected and if you aren't too careful, they could knock it into your goal for a devastating blow. This would be one of the benefits of getting up close to them is that you can ricochet the ball into the goal to make them take an equally strong hit. Maybe there could be a mechanic where you can put the goal down anywhere on the stage, similar to Steve with his crafting table. I'm not quite sure yet. The overall idea is that you would get a very technical character, but one with a lot of pros for those willing to put in the effort with them. There would be no character quite like them in the game.
So! Manage your team! Hit some headers! Stop others from scoring! Chant Seven Nation Army! And most importantly, SCORE SOME ****ING GOALS!!!

Last edited:
Resubmitting AGES:
AGES the VMU (SEGA Allstars Racing)
View attachment 349806View attachment 349807
"Do you expected a human-sized VMU in Battle of AGES, don't you? "

Well, I'm submitting a secret character from Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed, who is a VMU that can transform into Hornet or F-14 Tomcat as it was shown in that game. AGES is actually a tribute to SEGA itself and it could be composite fighter that can reference the history of SEGA by his attacks.

AGES is Mid-Heavyweight fighter with ability to Air dash in 4 directions (It turns into Zaxxon ship when he does an air dash) and he has medium speed in terms of walking and dashing. AGES has a "Battery" gimmick and he uses it during his down B - Mook summon, where he summons a mook from Mook RPG mode.

AGES has actually moveset potential (Although it wasn't shown), but as an original moveset for him would work, like he could shapeshift into Hornet or F-14 Tomcat for example as special move. AGES could also reference other SEGA games like he could use Seaman as up tilt, Pengo as forward throw or Baku Baku Animal as side smash attack. AGES can have really wondeful moveset despite he doesn't fight at all, but what can stop him from joining the roster with his name? (Get it, Battle of AGES?)
In overall, AGES would have composite moveset that alludes to his role in SEGA Racing Transformed, where he was a composite character.
Speaking of his moveset, his Allstar move would be, where he sends opponents into cutscene and he attacks with barage of misc SEGA characters like Hornet or Pengo.
He would be something like Mr. Game and Watch, ROB and Duck Hunt crossed together as SEGA fighter.
(Keep in mind that he could also use SEGA hardware as some of his attacks)

I nominate AGES, because he could be first hardware character in our roster and he could be tribute to whole SEGA company in form of Fighter. Also he could be first fighter to have composite moveset that allude to unrepresented SEGA franchises. He debuted as secret character in Sonic and Allstars Racing transformed and he was a WTF pick, so he could return also as WTF pick.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, I had a few ideas for this slot, but I think personally it'd be fitting to go for a character who likely doesn't have much of a chance otherwise, given they don't have as much star power as other characters when it comes to "selling DLC." So, here goes nothing!

Character Name: Pengo
Character Origin: Pengo (Arcade, 1982)

Pengo is a funky lil penguin who lives in the Antarctic, but when his home was invaded by the Snow-Bees, he took it upon himself to take them out! I think he'd be a really interesting early-80s arcade rep for SEGA, and whilst I did genuinely consider the ship from Zaxxon I felt that Pengo would be a pretty funky pick to see here. Whilst Pengo doesn't have as much modern relevence, it was notably the fourth highest-grossing arcade machine in Japan (according to Wikipedia, and actually on par with games like Galaga and Donkey Kong!)

However, whilst some music from the Pengo series would be cool (probably in the Other section), I think Pengo could easily skip out on a stage and it wouldn't hurt his representation - considering the only really relevant stage concept would be the series of ice mazes he enters during the course of his games. This combination of relative importance, modern obscurity, and "single-packaged" nature - as well as a lot of potential - would make him a perfect fit for this role.

As with in the arcade game, Pengo's probably most prominent method of attack is by pushing large ice blocks, and I think that extrapolating that to give him various ice-based attacks similar to how the Ice Climbers were expanded on would be a solid way to represent him. Having these large blocks of ice in his toolkit would give him an element of stage control - which, being the literal objective of the original arcade experience, would really represent him and his game well.

Overall I think Pengo would be cool to see. Another nod to SEGA's early arcade roots, as well as a character I can very easily see becoming memable due in part to his obscurity and such, he'd be a brilliant wild-card pick - which is exactly what we need for a part of the game like this!

D

Deleted member

TaroYamada.png

rentahero-fightersmegamix-sega-lofo (1).png

Taro Yamada (Rent-A-Hero)
An extremely previoleent character in Sega history. Coming from the Genesis action action game of the same name and its dreamcast remake. He was playable in Fighters Megamix. His game got a stage show in Japan years after his game came out, and even had a Hollywood movie in production.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job #209: Submit a free DLC bonus character

Yeah before we do any of that, we're pulling a Piranha Plant and adding in a free DLC bonus character! This can be any kind of character, but there's just one thing worth keeping in mind: this character will not come with their own side content. No stage, no assist, none of that. Keep that in mind.

Also, just this one time, I'm breaking the "new series only" rule. You can submit anyone. I do, however, think it's important to consider the fact that we're doing additional reps in DLC regardless, so I'd lean towards a new series myself, but still, the option is there just in case. Have at it!
I'm just wondering, is it possible for me to submit the following:

Sega Saturn Enthusiast
and Legendary Judo Master
SEGATA SANSHIRO

But isn't he a boss? Needing to be in multiple places at once won't be enough to stop Segata Sanshiro from making people play the Sega Saturn!

Using the tiniest fraction of his power, Segata Sanshiro will take on all challengers - even himself - to make sure that people play the Sega Saturn. (in which case, maybe he thinks that the other him isn't playing the Sega Saturn enough?)

He can ice skate with his bare feet, ride missiles, judo throw someone so they explode twice... He's ridiculous enough to get people interested in the DLC, while using assets that are already in the game to justify him being free.

(if him being a boss makes it so he can't be playable, I'll think of someone else - I just figure if anyone's going to be a boss but also be a playable character, it's going to be him)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Gonna resubmit Love and Berry for this round. The card reader games in general were a huge deal for Sega back in the mid 2000s, and L&B especially hold an interesting place in Sega history for being one of their few games aimed at a squarely female audience. I feel like they’d be a really unique pull that represents Sega’s often overlooked “modern” arcade history, and I just think they’re neat! :)

Job #186: Love and Berry

View attachment 349815

Love and Berry are the two protagonists of Love and Berry: Dress Up and Dance, an arcade game that utilizes the same card-reading technology as Mushiking and Dinosaur King. Love and Berry is definitely the odd one out amongst the Sega Arcade Card trilogy. For starters, instead of being aimed at a demographic of young boys who wanna see things fight each other, Love and Berry is squarely aimed at young girls who are into fashion. As the title suggests, the main objective of the game is to dress up the titular protagonists and then put on a show for an audience. The better dressed your girl is and the better you perform at the rhythm game section, the higher you’ll score. Think a mix of Style Savvy and contests in the Gen 4 Pokemon games.

Although the game was relatively unknown outside of Japan, Love and Berry was actually a pretty decent success for Sega. The arcade game itself brought in money and regularly got updates until 2008, it got a DS game which came with an accessory that allowed you to scan in cards from the arcade game, and it even got an anime film. Pretty good for a relatively niche Sega property. It’s not completely unreasonable for Sega to wanna reference these two if they wanted to go for a wahoo wacky pick. Also I just find it to be a fun little curiosity in Sega’s arcade history, being one of the few games they made that were directly aimed at a female audience.

Anywho, how would Love and Berry fight? Well, they’re witches whose main power is something called “fashion magic,” which allows them to change outfits on the fly. If you really wanted to take some creative liberties, you could lean heavily into that and make them into something of a mage-type character. Maybe do something wacky like give them an attack that changes their alts or the alts of the other characters? Incorporate the tambourine into their moveset somehow? You’d have to get really creative with their moveset, but I think they could be insanely fun if done right. Also I just think the idea is really funny. If Sakurai isn’t gonna give us Style Savvy in Smash, it’s time to take matters into our own hands.

ADDENDUM: In my quest to become a Love and Berry Lore Expert™️, I have discovered that the original arcade game actually was released in English sometime in 2006. It must not have been that much of a hit over here because I can’t find much info about it other than the fact that an English localization and dub does exist. It’s also in this search that I discovered that A, the game received regular Autumn/Winter and Spring/Summer updates each season to correlate with those seasons’ fashion trends, and B, the game’s soundtrack is also on Spotify with no region lock whatsoever if that tickles your fancy. I also stumbled across this neat little 2005 article from Web Japan that provides a glimpse of just how big Love and Berry was at the time. It’s not super in depth, but the fact that this game covered by an official Japanese tourism site should speak to its popularity.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #209: Ebitan Type B-3 (The House of the Dead)

1647589066468.png

Created by the human genome experimentations of Dr. Curien, Ebitan is a humanoid creature that appeared in every game in the series. While his color is somewhat darker in some titles, his distinguishing trait (at least for his regular variation) is his green slime-covered body. Ebitan is something of a face for the creatures of THotD, even having a playable role under his belt in SEGA Heroes mobile game.

While mainline The House of the Dead doesn't have a fighter yet, it does have a stage so it'd make sense to put a fighter as DLC. I think having a random mook can be a fun way to add a recognizable face to this series, especially since how much individuality the creatures are given. Ebitan has more than a few distinct traits such as his love for swimming pools. For his special moves, he can use his goo spewing attack, sword, his brothers, and that one barrel he resides in concept art.

Overall, by both being quite different from Rikiya, representing the creatures the series is known for, and being a "surprise" pick makes me think it's a good fit for a bonus DLC character role.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Time to right my greatest wrong.

Janet Marshall/Michael "Rage" Hardy/James "Smarty" Cools - (Virtua Cop)

Virtua-Cop-Squad.png

One of the most influential light gun games of all time, Virtua Cop stunned audiences in arcades when it first came out, and still holds up surprisingly well today. This on rails shooter, alongside The House of the Dead pretty much revolutionised the light gun genre over night with it's frantic action, intuitive action and unique targeting mechanics. It's even responsible for the modern day FPS, being a HUGE influence on the creation of GoldenEye 007.

The trio of 'Virtua Cops' all play pretty similarly, but you can choose between Rage, Smarty and Janet at the character select screen, with the other two potentially joining you for certain specials and the All-Star Move. Whilst some more tracks would be appreciated, we do at the very least have one musical track for this trio.

Whilst Michael and James are the most reoccurring protagonists, I don't think it's unfair to say that Janet, despite her one playable appearance, has a lot of star power on her own. Most famously she appeared in Fighters Megamix, where she did battle against Battle of Ages veterans Akira Yuki, Sarah Bryant and Jacky Bryant.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #209: Bonus DLC Character - Flagman (OutRun)

The Flagman is a recurring character in the racing video game franchise OutRun, which was created by a legendary developer Yu Suzuki (known for many other classics like Space Harrier, After Burner, Virtua Fighter and Shenmue) for the arcades in September 1986, achieving multiple ports and sequels such as Turbo OutRun, OutRunners, OutRun Europa, OutRun 2019 and OutRun 2 with it's updates OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast & OutRun Online Arcade, all thanks to it's huge popularity/impact via pioneering hardware that made use of a hydraulic deluxe motion simulator cabinet, non-linear gameplay and a selectable soundtrack, alongside inspiring numerous future racing video games and the synthwave music genre.

In other words, for detail-interested users, here is Speed Weed's first and only installment of his "Shilling SEGA" series he posted back in a speculation/discussion thread October last year. I cannot just quote it straight because of how big it is, but I'm highly recommending to read a whole thing there if you all want to get into the point of a deal.

While the Flagman may seem like a questionable character there, he actually made an appearance as one of the playable guest racers in a Nintendo 3DS SEGA Ages re-release of Power Drift, Sumo Digital adding stages on SEGA Superstars Tennis and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and as said above, OutRun's huge influence in the racing genre cannot be scoffed at, so he could work as a potential wildcard pick. At least we already got a stage (OutRun Bay) and music tracks from a franchise back in the early times of this project; it would be a perfect time to finish up representation for one of SEGA's most popular/famous/iconic IPs.

The Flagman's moveset may pretty much consist of stuff relating to mechanics like using a wrench for melee attacks and kicking out bouncing tires as projectiles, also involving him swinging his signature checkered flag he always waved in a green starting flash of light or throwing it like a boomerang to attack opponents, raising a trophy above his head, summoning a growing palm tree beneath him as a temporary platform (shaped after a iconic one from the AM2 team's logo, which appeared as a secret character in Fighters Megamix) akin to Alolan Exeggutor & Steve's blocks, and driving a small/miniature version of Ferrari Testarossa Spider (or a red car from the artwork) forward like Wario's bike special, able to move faster via turbo boosters by holding the special button, hence Turbo OutRun.

He can also perform random stuff from OutRun 2's easter egg like light exercises, squatting on the ground, a star jump, fierce dance moves, moon-walking (would be hilarious for his dodge animation), break-dancing, etc. Maybe his All-Star Move would involve him summoning out a huge bunch of racing cars (possibly even those from other SEGA vehicle arcade games like Hang-On, Power Drift, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, 18-Wheeler, Motor Raid, etc.) to run over opponents in the finish line or even falling giant metal stars from the sky akin to Ness and Lucas's PK Starstorm, based on one of the endings in OutRun 2's Heart Attack mode.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, it's time to vote!

Here are our candidates:

Football Manager ( Flyboy Flyboy )
AGES ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Pengo ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Taro Yamada (@Darkonedagger)
Segata Sanshiro ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Love and Berry ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Ebitan Type B-3 ( osby osby )
Michael Hardy, James Cools and Janet Marshall ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Honey ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Flagman ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Shadow the Hedgehog ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote. Also keep in mind that this character will not come with their own side content.
  1. Football Manager. I do genuinely believe now's the perfect time to get him in. Sports games are a big part of SEGA's history, and if we're gonna do a western character then I think that a pick from one of their modern acquired PC franchises would make a lot more sense than the 90s SEGA of America entourage. **** it, let's get him in.
  2. Love and Berry. They have a very unique appeal to their inclusion! SEGA's card-based arcade games were a big deal back in the day and they're an interesting piece of history as one of SEGA's only games squarely aimed at women.
  3. Taro Yamada. This is a perfect retro pick to me, a character with a great combination of unique design and moveset potential, an interesting legacy and that sort of cult appeal. I think he's a really underappreciated figure among SEGA's older characters and it'd be great to see him
Segata's good but I do want to shine the spotlight on other characters for now, there are a lot of neat picks here that now would be the perfect time for. And a fifth Sonic rep is gonna be our first proper DLC job so Shadow's prolly best saved for that

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Football Manager
2. Pengo
3. Taro

Segata would have been cool but we just added him aw a boss. I wouldn't be opposed to a layer playable appernece but I wanna give someone else a shot. There are some characters like Honey who I think would be great but who also have enough content for stages/asssits and I wanna save them for later when we can do that.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Alright, it's time to vote!

Here are our candidates:

Football Manager ( Flyboy Flyboy )
AGES ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Pengo ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Taro Yamada (@Darkonedagger)
Segata Sanshiro ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Love and Berry ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Ebitan Type B-3 ( osby osby )
Michael Hardy, James Cools and Janet Marshall ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Honey ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Flagman ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Shadow the Hedgehog ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote. Also keep in mind that this character will not come with their own side content.
1. Football Manager. Honestly, this would be so cool to see. This specific roster spot has been compared by some to that of Pirahna Plant's back in Ultimate, and I think that the vibe of a "weird, but really fitting character" perfectly fits Football Manager. He's got star power, but a really weird nature. He's got a massive series behind him, but he's hardly the first person you'd expect to see in a fighting game. He's got the power to SCOAR SOM GOALS - and I think that's perfect. Not even getting into things like him representing the sports genre of video games and having a ton of moveset potential, because there's that too IN SPADES - needless to say he feels like a no-brainer inclusion, which is perhaps ironic given we've never seen the top of his head.

2. Flagman. Y'know how I compared Football Manager to Pirahna Plant on the basis of his relative weirdness, but surprising importance, to see in a game like this? I think Flagman captures that part of this roster slot perfectly. OutRun is a vastly important piece of SEGA's long and storied history, which would be amazing to see here - and whilst Flagman wouldn't be able to bring OutRun-related content, we do already have OutRun Bay as a stage! I think he's only a bit lower because he relatively lacks in star power compared to the Football Manager, but I'd love to see this guy nonetheless - a mechanic-based moveset seems like a really cool one to delve into in the context of a game like this and I think it'd be awesome for him to get in. Also, the idea of fighting with his flag as a melee weapon is just really funny to me!

3. Taro Yamada. Hardly new to SEGA crossovers with his appearance in Fighters Megamix, I think the Rent-a-Hero would be a great inclusion for a weird, almost overly-90s character who could easily represent a lot of fun superhero-based tropes, as well as having a lot of personality. He might not feel like "a big character", but having prominence from the Genesis era right to the Dreamcast - and even now having somewhat of a cult following - he'd be a really fun inclusion to see here, even if an aspect of that does come from my own personal bias.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Ebitan - I agree with Osby's write-up in it's entirety really. It'd be great to have a HOTD zombie banging around.

2. Love & Berry - I love (ahuhuh) these two so much. Something about the game, their aesthetic, and their unique moveset potential just speaks to me. They represent a really cool side of Sega and gaming as a whole we don't entirely have repped in this project. Plus I love stylist characters okay. If I can't have Style Savvy in Smash I can at least have this.

3. Virtua Cops - I love them. I know we could probably include music and a stage from Virtua Cop but I do think they inhabit an interesting space where it's not necessary and they could make for great characters to have in.

Insane selection this round. I think we should definitely go back to the well with a lot of these. They're so cool and can still fit even down the line.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
  1. Taro Yamada
  2. Pengo
  3. Flagman

EDIT: For more information and moveset possibilities in Taro's case not from Dagger's post, given his obscure status:

Taro Yamada is the main protagonist of a 1991 Japanese-exclusive action RPG game named Rent-A-Hero, which was released on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive and used the same graphic engine as Sword of Vermillion. The game follows him moving to the town of Corja in Japan alongside his family and younger sister Alyssa, after his eccentric father changed jobs. During their house-warming party, he ordered pizza from 'Sensational Cafeteria' (or SECA in short) and instead received the Super Energy Combat Armor (coincidence by name? - as a part of the "Rent-A-Hero" program) by accident, which gave him superhuman strength and other gadgets. After realizing that he is required to pay a fee to rent the armor, Taro decided to become a titular part-time hero for hire (who looks like Captain Commando), performing various odd-jobs for the townspeople of Corja such as delivering food or finding missing children, before ending up in more intensive missions involving corporate theft, counterfeit money and mafia.

Instead of traditional turn-based battles, Taro will face enemies in a similar format to 2D fighting games, akin to Street Fighter and others, which was an unusual innovation for the RPG genre at a time. The game was a self-parody of SEGA, a decade before Segagaga was released (with a same-named protagonist), alongside cultural references of Sentai, American superheroes and Japan's culture/society between the 80's and 90's.

Despite being lesser-known compared to other Genesis games, Rent-A-Hero has proven to be popular thanks to it's comical tone and self-aware humor, having gained a modern reputation as one of SEGA's fondly-remembered cult classics. The game is one of the 42 pre-installed games on SEGA Genesis Mini's Japanese release, the Dreamcast/Xbox remake (Rent-A-Hero No. 1, which had a cancelled English adaptation) with Segata Sanshiro on it (which also has beat 'em up sections akin to Spikeout), a live stage show in Japan and had a movie/film in works. He even made appearances in Shenmue as a capsule toy, a poster on Sarah & Jacky's stage in Virtua Fighter 2, and finally, Fighters Megamix with his own vocal theme from Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, where he fought various characters such as Virtua Fighters themselves, Fighting Vipers and of all things, Hornet from Daytona USA. A idea of people renting hero suits was later revived by SEGA in a Nintendo 3DS game called Hero Bank.

For his moveset, as a tokusatsu-inspired fighter, Taro is able to perform various martial arts moves such as punches and kicks, but he also has projectile attacks (a slashing projectile's likely named Sonic Cutter), even being able to charge up for powerful special moves in Rent-A-Hero No. 1 (techniques like Energy Sword, Dragon Thunder which acts like :ult_terry:'s Power Wave in Fighters Megamix below, Burning Claw, Self Recover, Space Barrier, etc. - Ctrl + F in this page). Borrowed from both the original game and Fighters Megamix (with his command/move list below), Taro's Combat Armor has a battery meter which depletes over time. Once it drops to zero, his armor wil shut down and disappear, making him weaker in stats and unable to use special moves until he's KO'd, which fully refills his suit meter again.

Taro's female counterpart, Hiroko, who has appeared in various promotional materials, appearently dolls (from what I read on Hardcore Gaming) and even an afore-mentioned live stage show, would also appear in his All-Star Move consisting of a tag-team beatdown or potentially work as his alternate costume, akin to some characters (such as Dragon Quest's Heroes and Fire Emblem's characters like Robin, Corrin and Byleth) in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom