• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. SEGATA SANSHIRO (While he would make for a great fighter, perhaps as DLC, I think a special boss version is the coolest idea ever and I LOVE the writeup and attack ideas, especially the Easter eggs.)

2. Mr. X (I think the idea of a final boss that is basically a super tough multi-man melee before fighting the man himself is a clever and cool idea)

3. Dark Falz (Self-vote, but the dude screams platform fighter boss)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Ashra: Alex Kidd bias is strong with me, sorry. Tony did it for me and it'd be rude not to honour that. Plus I just think Ashra's very neat design wise and with his detachable limbs and six arms worth of punching power, I genuinely think he's a fun character even if he's not the most developed individual.

2. Eternal Champion: I'm not exactly a huge fan of Eternal Champions, but if we were to get anything from the series, having the titular unfair boss as a boss sits best with me. The Eternal Champion's sprite also has this really neat ethereal energy design that reminds me of Tabuu. Just a cool design.

3. Dark Falz: Phantasy Star always needs more representation. One of the things I've learnt over the course of this game is just how influential this series truly was despite my lack of experience.

No self vote for Segata. I'm really pleased to see so much love for the man though. He is amazing.

Oh?

...What's this? You thought this was just a voting post?

Rips off the face of this post like Segata Sanshiro rips off his Santa disguise

This is a surprise Capsule Toy Submission post!

Boss edition!

• Crymaria Levin
    • Series: Valkyria Chronicles
    • First Appearance: Valkyria Chronicles 4
    • System Debut: PlayStation 4
Also known as the Winter Witch, Crymaria is said to be the most powerful Valkyria in the empire, besting even Selvaria Bles. Despite this, Crymaria was seen as far more unstable than Selvaria and deemed untrainable, being passed over for selection in favour of Selvaria. This in turn has led to her suffering from immense self confidence issues and a desire to be seen as needed. Crymaria has the ability to create powerful blizzards of Ragnite energy and create and control shards of crystal that look similar to ice. These 'ice shards' are powerful enough to sink even the toughest naval ships with ease. When angered or distraught, the 'snowflakes' glow red hot, becoming embers and creating an area around her that burns everything-and everyone-to ashes.
  • Dark Raven
    • Series: Billy Hatcher
    • First Appearance: Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg
    • System Debut: Gamecube
The ruler of the crows, he invaded Morning Land with his army of shapeshifting crows and trapping the chicken elders inside eggs to imprison them and preventing daybreak from happening and dispelling his powers. He seeks the Giant Egg, a treasure of Morning Land said to be able to grant any wish upon it hatching. Unfortunately for Dark Raven he was not expecting the chicken god Menie-Funie to summon four human children into Morning Land and arm them with the Legendary Chicken Suits.
  • Ernst
    • Series: Rise of Nightmares
    • First Appearance: Rise of Nightmares
    • System Debut: Xbox 360
Ernst was once a normal man who was kidnapped, alongside his wife Yeli, by the psychotic scientist Viktor Fleischer. Viktor performed countless cruel and painful experiments on the unwilling couple in an attempt to steal their life force for himself. Managing to find an opening, Ernst took Yeli and told her to run whilst he held off Viktor's zombie like puppet creations known as 'The Altered'. Whilst Ernst bought enough time for his wife to escape, he was overwhelmed by the sheer number of Altered, captured and experimented on until he too became an Altered.
Ernst now works as an unstoppable murderous monster for Viktor, slaughtering innocents and kidnapping more victims for the twisted experiments to continue. Somewhere deep down inside Ernst his conciousness and memories are screaming to stop, but they're buried far too deep down to stop the madness.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright so this turned out to be a huge landslide vote and the Direct is coming up soon so I'll end the vote early. Let's take a look:

Neff: 1 points
X: 6 points
Arahabaki: 0 points
Gradt: 6 points
Riem: 1 points
Ashra: 4 points
Segata: 28 points
Jubileus: 5 points
Aletheia: 0 points
Falz: 16 points
Champ: 5 points

So Segata Sanshiro will be our next boss!

.....But here's the thing.

Segata isn't your average boss. He feels different from the rest. He's in a league of his own. It doesn't feel right to have him take up a regular boss slot. So I've made a decision: we're adding Segata......on top of the existing boss lineup. He'll be a secret boss. The Giga Bowser of this game. This'll bump the boss number up to 7!

Well then, who goes in as our next regular boss? Well that would be Dark Falz!!!!

Moving on - it's finally time for our next character job. And this one's a doozy:

Job #146: Submit a previous character job for us to redo

That's right! Many times over the course of this project, I've heard something to the effect of "man this prompt was so good I hope we do it again someday". So **** it. We're doing that. Lazy? Maybe. But it's worth going back to the well on some of those, I feel.

So yeah, you can submit a previous character job, and then if it wins, we'll redo it! Keep in mind that the new-series-only rule still applies, so it's entirely possible that certain prompts that were once full of possibilities may now be much drier. Keep that in mind.

Here's the list of previous jobs that are available for you to submit:

-"Classic" character (debuted before SEGA went third-party)
-"Modern" character (debuted after SEGA went third-party)
-Female character
-80s character
-90s character
-2000s character
-2010s onward character
-RPG character
-"Second-party" character
-New series for us to later submit characters from
-Villain
-Arcade character

The "All-Stars/not in All-Stars" job won't be up for submission here, cause like, we literally just did that one. Also it's pretty likely that we'll redo more than one job from this job. Aight now go at it

Well, here's my take:
- Classic SEGA Character

Well, I could want to see characters like Ristar, Vectorman, Gilius, Temjin and Space Harrier as Classic characters, because I really like the classic characters.
First reason, they could be interesting fighters in Sega Platform fighter and they could have some moveset potential.
Second reason could be tribute to all SEGA Classics that they ever existed.
Third and Final reason, the roster could be possibly trip to nostalgia, where SEGA fans really used to play their games, so if we add one of them, their memories would recall to their past, where they were use to be kids that really liked the Arcades or Sega Mega Drives.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #146: 80's character

I know, I know.

"Oh look, the Alex Kidd fan wants a prompt about the 80s so he can relive his nostalgia" but the 80s was a HUGE time for Sega, and one I cannot emphasize enough.

Not only did Sega make huge strides in the arcade industry, creating classics such as Pengo, Flicky and Space Harrier, but they also released their very first home console in the form of the often overlooked SG-1000, found home console success in the release of the Master System that managed to crack the home markets in Europe, Brazil and Australia and even released their most popular Mega Drive/Genesis during this period in 1988.

The fact we have but a small handful of 80s characters (Opa-Opa, Alex Kidd, and Nei) compared to the other eras isn't ideal. I'd like us to readdress that balance.

In terms of notable characters we have a fair few from some pretty notable Sega series:
  • Gilius Thunderhead, Ax Battler, Tyris Flare and Death Adder (Golden Axe)
  • Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
  • Harrier (Space Harrier)
  • The Centurion and Neff (Altered Beast)
We also have some one offs that you may recognise:
  • Pengo
  • Flicky (Although probably more remembered for Sonic these days, I'd personally count Flicky as his own thing)
  • Bin and Pin (Dynamite Dux)
  • Teddy Boy (Teddy Boy Blues)
  • Princess Kurumi (Ninja Princess)
  • Ricky and Mary (Alien Syndrome)
  • Mary(a different one), Edgar, Joe and Lee (Quartet)
  • J.J (Zillion - quite a major history footnote with Sega as the Light Phaser was made with this game in mind and helped crack Brazil with it, but I'm not sure if they own the rights or not to Zillion overall)
  • Psycho Fox (I may have mentioned this one before)
  • Transbot
  • The cast of Gain Ground (there's dozens of characters to pick from. I personally like Mud Puppy, the heavy weapons expert)
  • Dragon Wang
  • Yu, Guy, Medi and Treo (Miracle Warriors)
  • Egle (Pit Pot)
  • Woody Pop
  • Overbite or Adelie (Doki Doki Penguin Land)
  • Mick (Ghost House)
  • Niño (Aztec Adventure)
  • Chumy (Hustle Chumy)
  • Papri (Girl's Garden)
  • Sanrin Sanchan (Spatter)
  • Hayato (Kenseiden)
and I'm barely scratching the surface. There's plenty to pick from, and that's not even including games without obvious characters like After Burner, Hang-on or Columns.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #146: Submit a Second Party Character

Okay, I’m biased because I absolutely adored this round, but that’s because there was so much to choose from! When you’re as big of a video game conglomerate as Sega, of course you’re gonna have a **** ton of talented development studios under your belt that were responsible for a ton of iconic games. Hell, I’d argue we barely scratched the surface with that round. Just to give you an idea of what you could look forward to submitting if we do this job again, here’s a list of a bunch of studios that are either owned by Sega or have had games published by Sega:
  • Sammy (The Rumble Fish, Spy Fiction. Also really wish they still published Guilty Gear so I didn’t have to wait for the mythical guest round to submit Sol Badguy)
  • ATLUS (Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, Power Instinct, ****in uhhh Snowboard Kids i guess)
  • Sports Interactive (FOOTBALL MANAGER BAYBEE LETS SCORE SOME ****ING GOALS!!!!)
  • Creative Assembly (Total War)
  • Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes)
  • Technosoft (Thunder Force, Plazma Line, Herzog)
  • Amplitude Studios (Endless Space)
  • Platinum Games (MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish, and Infinite Space)
  • Camelot (the Shining series up to Shining Force III)
  • Game Freak (Tembo)
  • anything Ed Annunziata worked on (Ecco, Mr. Bones, Chakan)
Of course there’s probably a **** ton I’m forgetting, but this should give you an idea of the absolute scope of what we have to work with. And some of these are pretty big franchises for Sega (namely Shining and FBM), so we’re hardly scraping the bottom of the barrel for options. Hell I’d argue the barrel isn’t even halfway empty yet.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was going to nominate villains, but I had a tough time with coming up with examples that hadn't been previously nominated, so I decided against it. Still, I made this mock-up of the roster so far; it's pretty badly Photoshopped (I couldn't find transparent images for some characters, the placements are somewhat random, and the art styles and sizes of characters are wildly inconsistent), but I figure people might appreciate having a visual of the roster and using it to hopefully get a better feel of what characters we could still add.

Last edited:
Job #146: Submit a Second Party Character

Okay, I’m biased because I absolutely adored this round, but that’s because there was so much to choose from! When you’re as big of a video game conglomerate as Sega, of course you’re gonna have a **** ton of talented development studios under your belt that were responsible for a ton of iconic games. Hell, I’d argue we barely scratched the surface with that round. Just to give you an idea of what you could look forward to submitting if we do this job again, here’s a list of a bunch of studios that are either owned by Sega or have had games published by Sega:
  • Sammy (The Rumble Fish, Spy Fiction. Also really wish they still published Guilty Gear so I didn’t have to wait for the mythical guest round to submit Sol Badguy)
  • ATLUS (Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, Power Instinct, ****in uhhh Snowboard Kids i guess)
  • Sports Interactive (FOOTBALL MANAGER BAYBEE LETS SCORE SOME ****ING GOALS!!!!)
  • Creative Assembly (Total War)
  • Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes)
  • Technosoft (Thunder Force, Plazma Line, Herzog)
  • Amplitude Studios (Endless Space)
  • Platinum Games (MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish, and Infinite Space)
  • Camelot (the Shining series up to Shining Force III)
  • Game Freak (Tembo)
  • anything Ed Annunziata worked on (Ecco, Mr. Bones, Chakan)
Of course there’s probably a **** ton I’m forgetting, but this should give you an idea of the absolute scope of what we have to work with. And some of these are pretty big franchises for Sega (namely Shining and FBM), so we’re hardly scraping the bottom of the barrel for options. Hell I’d argue the barrel isn’t even halfway empty yet.
Umm, what about Vectorman?
Vectorman also fits in the platform fighter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #146: 2010s onward character

I'll fully admit being biased for SEGA's newer stuff but I think it's a bit weird how we only have Joker and Ichiban in terms of characters created in the last decade or so. While I recognize that a lot of iconic franchises of the company were created when they were in the console business, I think there are still a good number of contemporary fighter options that can bring some freshness to our roster.

In terms of franchises we already included, you have well-received new entries such as
  • Sakura Wars (2019)
  • Puyo Puyo Chronicle
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Streets of Rage 4
And that's not even going into a variety of new franchises/titles
  • Shining Resonance
  • Tembo the Badass Elephant
  • Vanquish
  • Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
  • Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
  • 7th Dragon III Code: VFD
  • Endless Space
  • Chain Chronicle
  • Total War Troy
  • Rise of Nightmares
  • Catherine
  • Resonance of Fate

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #146

I'm gonna have to stick up for arcade characters. Arcade games are the most important sect of SEGA's history and we've still barely scratched the surface of what they have to offer.

We still have:

-Big hitters like Space Harrier, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Virtual-ON and Crazy Taxi
-Other notable names such as Samba de Amigo, Fighting Vipers, Altered Beast and Dynamite Deka
-More niche but still deserving series like Last Bronx or Spikeout
-Retro characters like Pengo or Princess Kurumi
-Out-of-left-field choices such as King from Virtua Tennis or even something like Love and Berry

Arcade Character submission:
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe) (Resubmission)

1644523593346.png
1644523601604.png

(Artworks taken from Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed and SEGA Heroes)
Who is Gillius Thunderhead?
Gillius Thunderhead
is one of Main characters from popular Golden Axe series, which it debuted on Arcade. It takes place in fictional land of Yuria during Hyborian Era and 3 Heroes need to fight through the land to get into Adder's Lair and Defeat him like in Beat'em up games. (Actually, Golden Axe is a beat'em up game)
His series got some games in 80's and 90's along 3 in 2000's, which is actually interesting for it's fans and SEGA fans.
(And his series were possibly inspired by "Conan the Barbarian" book)

Gillius is Miner Dwarf, who Attacks with his Axe and sometimes rides on Chicken Leg monsters.
He appeared as Playable Character along with Ax Battler, Tyris Flare in Golden Axe on Arcades back in the 80's.

He and his games are really popular that his legacy keeps existing by appearing in other SEGA games like "Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed" (Interestingly, he was originally planned to be in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, but he was Scrapped from Roster and came back later to Transformed) and he appeared in now-discontinued game called SEGA Heroes on Mobile phones.
He also even appeared as Playable Character in SEGA Superstars Tennis, which is also very cool.

How the Heck Gillius would work?
A lot of you guys are asking how the heck he could work in Platform Fighter.
Well first, he could be Middleweight "Rushdown" character that doesn't have any additional movement options like air dashing.
His moveset could be similar to Golden Axe Fighting Game that was released in 90's, which he could use his Axe in Attacks. He could also use magic like Lightning magic as Neutral Special (Making him as Sora of Battle of AGES) or etc.
His Allstar Move could be where he calls the Tyris Flare and Ax Battler to attack the opponents in cutscene like Hero in Smash.

His design is Based on Allstars Racing Transformed Incarnation, but he would be more detailed to make him more realistic. His alts are gonna be inspired by Golden Axe characters like Death Adder.

Why Gilius for Battle of AGES?
Do you guys wanna know why I want Gillius?
That's because there are a lot of Reasons I wanna tell:
  • Gillius is one of really popular GA characters and he deserves a spot on the Roster.
  • Gillius could have more unique moveset potential than other GA (Sorry OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos and Flyboy Flyboy )
  • His Inclusion would be tribute to Golden Axe games.
  • He is another SEGA Historical rep that could appear in the Roster.
  • In Throgi's Arcade's video, he was in the Roster, meaning that he was very popular character back in 90' and he is still relevant to that day.
  • He definitely fits into Fighting Game as no-brainer pick, since he appeared in one before.
  • His series were big on Arcade machines, making him very likely into SEGA crossover game.
You know, there are a lot of reasons why Gillius Thunderhead needs to be in Game in base roster as SEGA Arcade Rep.

Final Words:
Again, thank you so much for reading my submission, especially Speed Weed Speed Weed . Gilius and Harrier are most wanted 1st Parties for the fighting game and that's why I'm submitting them in this job.
- Takman from Newgrounds, 2022

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Gillius Thunderhead
is one of Main characters from popular Golden Axe series, which it debuted on Arcade. It takes place in fictional land of Yuria during Hyborian Era and 3 Heroes need to fight through the land to get into Adder's Lair and Defeat him like in Beat'em up games. (Actually, Golden Axe is a beat'em up game)
His series got some games in 80's and 90's along 3 in 2000's, which is actually interesting for it's fans and SEGA fans.

Gillius is Miner Dwarf, who Attacks with his Axe and sometimes rides on Chicken Leg monsters.
He appeared as Playable Character along with Ax Battler, Tyris Flare in Golden Axe on Arcades back in the 80's.

He and his games are really popular that his legacy keeps existing by appearing in other SEGA games like "Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed" (Interestingly, he was originally planned to be in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, but he was Scrapped from Roster and came back later to Transformed) and he appeared in now-discontinued game called SEGA Heroes on Mobile phones.
He also even appeared as Playable Character in SEGA Superstars Tennis, which is also very cool.

Well first, he could be Middleweight "Rushdown" character that doesn't have any additional movement options like air dashing.
His moveset could be similar to Golden Axe Fighting Game that was released in 90's, which he could use his Axe in Attacks. He could also use magic like Lightning magic as Neutral Special (Making him as Sora of Battle of AGES) or etc.
His Allstar Move could be where he calls the Tyris Flare and Ax Battler to attack the opponents in cutscene like Hero in Smash.

His design is Based on Allstars Racing Transformed Incarnation, but he would be more detailed to make him more realistic. His alts are gonna be inspired by Golden Axe characters like Death Adder.

• Gillius is one of really popular GA characters and he deserves a spot on the Roster.
  • Gillius could have more unique moveset potential than other GA (Sorry OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos and Flyboy Flyboy )
  • In Throgi's Arcade's video, he was in the Roster, meaning that he was very popular character back in 90' and he is still relevant to that day.
  • He definitely fits into Fighting Game as no-brainer pick, since he appeared in one before.
  • His series were big on Arcade machines, making him very likely into SEGA crossover game.
Again, there are a lot of reasons why Gillius Thunderhead needs to be in Game in base roster as SEGA Arcade Rep.

Final Words:
Again, thank you so much for reading my submission, especially Speed Weed Speed Weed . Gilius and Harrier are most wanted 1st Parties for the fighting game and that's why I'm submitting them in this job.
We're not doing submissions yet

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Gillius Thunderhead

Again, there are a lot of reasons why Gillius Thunderhead needs to be in Game in base roster as SEGA Arcade Rep.

Final Words:
I don't think we're submitting specific characters yet - we're still nominating past submission topics to cover a second time.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:
Because our current job is to resubmit an old job.
Oops, sorry.
Anyway.

Job 146:
"Submit a classic character"

Well, I really want to see classic characters in the game like Harrier, Temjin, Vectorman or Gilius, which they are really cool.
We need more classic characters. Nuff said.

Check the posts above, everyone lists the job numbers while submitting content.

Have you read Speed's post? It was obvious he was nominating his own suggestion and not declaring our new job.
Yeah, I read that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
D

Deleted member

1. New
2. 80s
3. 2010s

The new seires promnt was fun when we did it. We could use another 80s character, same with a more modern character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom