• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, the votes are in. Let's take a look:

Pocket Circuit: 7 points
BR: 12 points
SH: 2 points
William: 13 points
SC5: 3 points
Total War: 17 points

And with that, our next minigame is going to be Total War!!!!!

Alright, we are now finally doing a new character job. And I think it's high time we finally do another one of these:

Job #117: Submit an additional rep for a series that isn't Sonic, Virtua Fighter, or Yakuza - round 2

That's right, it's been a long time since we last did additional reps, and I think now would be the ideal time!

Most of what applied to the last round of this applies here, but it's worth noting that this time, Yakuza won't be eligible either, as we've already added Ichiban.

So here's the list of series that are eligible for this job:

-Alex Kidd
-Sakura Wars
-Space Channel 5
-Fantasy Zone
-Streets of Rage
-Skies of Arcadia
-Persona
-NiGHTS
-Bayonetta
-Phantasy Star
-Puyo Puyo
-Shin Megami Tensei (including other non-Persona Megaten subseries)
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Super Monkey Ball
-The House of the Dead

So yeah, that's a lot. And that's why I'll be employing the same thing we did in the last character job: for this job, you can once again submit up to two characters!

Now then, there are plenty of characters from these series who are assists, and as such aren't eligible for this job. Some of these were definitely more major candidates than others, but it's worth listing them all just in case:

Alex Kidd: Janken
Sakura Wars: Ciseaux
Space Channel 5: Pudding
Fantasy Zone: U.S.B.M.G.S. Tot (i guess?????)
Streets of Rage: Adam, Skate, Cherry
Skies of Arcadia: Fina
Persona: Rise
NiGHTS: Owl (i guess?????)
Bayonetta: Enzo (the saddest disconfirmation)
Phantasy Star: Alis, Myau, Odin, Lutz
Puyo Puyo: Tee
SMT: Jack Frost and the concept of the Jack Bros. as a fighter
Valkyria Chronicles: Kai
Super Monkey Ball: Baby
House of the Dead: James, Gary

These characters are all ineligible. Aight now go at it

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #117: Additional Veteran Series Fighters

Re-submitting time!

Aika (Skies of Arcadia)
View attachment 327555

Skies of Arcadia, as we all know, is one of Dreamcast's most known cult classics and a RPG game released in 2000, which focuses on Vyse and his friends as the gang of sky pirates called the Blue Rogues, who attempt to stop the Valuan Empire from reviving ancient weapons with the potential to destroy the world.

In fact, we're talking about Vyse's cheerful and spunky close friend, Aika, who is the game's deuteragonist and was orphaned at an early age when her parents were killed, having been saved and taken care for as a foster daughter by Vyse's father, Dyne. While Aika has a bit of a fiery temper, an obsession for obtaining treasure, the inability to swim and a fear of ghosts, she has a strong and energetic personality, and is deeply loyal to those around her, absolutely trusting in Vyse and thinks highly of him after he had rescued her twice during childhood.

Considering that Vyse and Fina appear in Battle of AGES as a playable character and an assist respectively, I don't see why we wouldn't include a third member of the protagonist trio. All three also appeared together in the Valkyria Chronicles series via the first installment (Vyse and Aika's debut), 2011's Japan-only exclusive Valkyria Chronicles 3 (for Fina) and the anime series.

For her playstyle and moveset possibilities, Aika is quite nimble, able to move quickly despite her light weight and mainly wields the over-sized boomerang as her main weapon by swinging and throwing them at enemies (a reminder that she was created a decade and years before Sticks the Badger), which kind of weapon moveset archetype was not done before in Smash-like games (those special moves like Link's were only secondary weapons). She can also use various elemental magic such as Pyri (fiery explosion), Electrum (lightning bolt), Electrulen (a sphere of electricity that allows her to launch herself like a bullet in any chosen direction), etc. and abilities like:
  • Alpha Storm - Aika spins her boomerang in-front of herself, summoning a vortex of flames forward that deals multi-hitting damage before launching an enemy.
  • Delta Shield - Aika channels her energy, forming an anti-magic shield around herself and her allies for a short period of time. The shield can block and direct all magical attacks back at enemies.
  • Lambda Burst - After charging, Aika tosses four small yellow energy-infused boomerangs forward that deal more damage than the normal boomerang. When they hit the ground, a geyser of flames will emerge from the ground and deal big damage, launching enemies upwards.
  • Epsilon Mirror - Aika creates a mirror-like aura that temporarily renders herself invulnerable for a short period of time. The aura can reflect projectiles that hits her body towards enemies, though in the original game, she's unable to act while using this ability.
  • Omega Psyclone - Aika's most powerful Super Move, which involves her using the powers of the Red Moon to make her boomerang glow in yellow energy, before tossing it upwards as it becomes sort of a star and then jumps, rolling in the air after grabbing it. She then tosses 6 copies of her boomerang to make a hexagon on the ground after rolling, making the ground break and summon lava from it as boomerangs return to Aika, before she finishes by throwing a star at enemies, blowing up the lava platform they're standing in.
This is for your partner, Flyboy Flyboy .

Reala (NiGHTS into Dreams)

"Beadichinoa, NiGHTS!"

Reala is the secondary antagonist of the NiGHTS series created by a Sonic the Hedgehog designer duo, Naoto Oshima and Yuji Naka themselves, in which he is a first-level Nightmaren, as well as NiGHTS' sibling/rival and Wizeman the Wicked's right hand henchman, who was always very obedient and loyal to his creator, also being cruel, cunning, manipulative and insidious compared to his sibling's kind, playful and rebellious personality, thus capturing and imprisoning them for his master after they decided to stop him from taking over the Night Dimension.

Reala himself appeared as a boss in Stick Canyon (into Dreams), Delight City and Bellbridge (Journey of Dreams), having even showed up in Sonic Pinball Party as a boss, Sonic Adventure as a cameo card, Lost World where he opened a portal in order to send Sonic to Nightmare in the Nightmare Zone DLC, Runners as an unlockable buddy with a magnet effect after looping, SEGA Superstars Tennis (his home stage being Aqua Garden) and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (where he also appeared as a shape-shifting car, with a Goodle driving him) alongside NiGHTS as an unlockable character.

Inspired by this moveset concept video, while most of the veteran series' secondary reps are unique on their own, Reala would work as NiGHTS' semi-clone, as in the original SEGA Saturn game, he plays functionally quite similar to them, especially when replacing them as the playable character when unlocking a two-player mode after defeating him and playing Spring Valley on April Fools Day, even having NiGHTS taking his place on his boss battle as a easter egg, thus being able to use most of their abilities such as flight, Drill Dash and Paraloop, except without the help of Visitors. He may also be able to use unique darkness-based attacks and has better control of Persona Masks, which he always wears as a symbol of loyalty to Wizeman and allows him to transform into a dolphin, rocket and a giant dragon.

Reala's All-Star Move would involve him snapping his fingers to create a quick flash of light in-front of him, trapping opponents in a glass cage (that he used to imprison NiGHTS in Journey of Dreams) upon contact. The screen will then become nightmarish as Wizeman the Wicked himself suddenly appear and proceed to deal heavy damage to opponents by using his deadly magical attacks, maybe even instantly KO'ing them if their stamina is low enough.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I’m gonna submit Aigis again, but this time with an updated character write-up going over points I originally forgot to bring up. Aigis is my favorite Persona character and I really wanna do her justice.

Job #117: Aigis (Persona)

Aigis is a major character and party member in Persona 3. She is one of the last remaining anti-shadow weapons, a series of androids designed by the Kirijo Group for the sole purpose of destroying shadows. Being a robot, Aigis starts off devoid of any motivation outside of serving SEES, but over time she begins to form bonds with her comrades and finds greater meaning in her life. She’s also the main star of Persona 3 FES’ epilogue, The Answer, and continues to appear in Persona media where the P3 cast play a major role.

Before I go into more detail on Aigis proper, I want to take a minute to talk about her home game, Persona 3. Many people joke that this was the first Persona game because of how little Atlus seemed to acknowledge anything before it. While I’d be the last person to slander Persona 1 and 2, P3 was the true genesis of the modern Persona formula. It introduced social links, the calendar system, the blend of life simulation and dungeon crawling, the battle system, and many, many more elements that would become integral to Persona’s identity in subsequent games. Everything that makes up modern Persona’s DNA can be traced back to P3, and every entry since has built off its foundation. Needless to say, it’s a massive turning point in the series’ storytelling and gameplay that helped boost its popularity to new heights. If P5 represents the new hotness, then P3 would represent the franchise’s legacy and the beginning of its ever-growing overseas popularity. Plus, with Joker repping P5 and Rise’s assist repping P4, I can’t think of a better way to round out our modern Persona rep than by having Aigis there to represent Persona 3.

Now onto Aigis herself, why specifically her? Isn’t she just one of the many dime-a-dozen JRPG party members who live in the shadow of the protagonist? Well that’s where you’d be mistaken, because not only is Aigis one of the most pivotal characters in Persona 3’s story (I’d go into more details, but I’d rather not go into spoilers), her presence in outside media and other entries make her arguably more prominent than the P3 Protags. Just to give you an idea of what I mean, here’s a quick rundown of instances where Aigis was a major focus in the Persona series:

• Persona 3 FES’ epilogue story, The Answer, features Aigis as the playable protagonist and temporarily gives her the wild card ability. This story is meant to give closure on Aigis’ arc and the main story as a whole.
  • On the more obscure side of things, Aigis: The First Mission was a Japan-exclusive mobile game released in 2007, detailing Aigis’ origin story. I’m aware that this is pretty deep down the Persona Iceberg, but it’s still noteworthy for being one of the few spinoff games focused entirely on Persona 3. Also I found it interesting that both the prologue and epilogue to P3’s main story feature Aigis as the protagonist.
  • Persona 4 Arena saw the return of Aigis and a few other Persona 3 characters. Aigis specifically is a huge focus here because of her relation to that game’s original character and fellow surviving Anti-Shadow Weapon, Labrys.
  • In Persona 3 Portable’s female protagonist route, Aigis and Elizabeth are the only two female cast members who show romantic interest in the protagonist.
  • In Persona Q2, one of the dungeons is themed around Aigis and stars an Aigis stand-in named Ribbon.
  • Aigis’ face was used in the logo of Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight, making her quite literally the face of that spin-off.
That’s a pretty hefty resume for a simple JRPG party member. Much like how Teddie and Morgana are the mascots of Persona 4 and 5 respectively, Aigis could be considered Persona 3’s main mascot with how often she’s front and center in anything P3 related. Even compared to those two, Aigis ascends the status of mascot and has become something of a secondary protagonist for Persona 3, not only playing a huge role in that game’s plot, but also in other spin-offs. If I were to liken her to any other fighter on our roster, it’d probably be Nei in that she might not be the Main Guy, but is still an important and beloved fan-favorite in the series.

Okay, so why not choose another wild card? They’re the main focus of their games, so why not another one? While I don’t think these characters are necessarily bad choices, I’d kinda like to see someone outside of the blank-slate protagonist archetype get some time in the spotlight, especially since Persona is regarded as the more character-focused Megaten sub-series. Persona does have a few fun non-protagonist options, but I went with Aigis for a few reasons besides what I’ve listed so far. Aside from being arguably the most lore-important and recurring of all the potential options, she also has the benefit of being a cool robot. And being a Cool Robot, she has boat-loads of moveset potential.

Aigis would of course have access to her Persona, Athena, for certain attacks. Athena is primarily a physical-based Persona who attacks with a spear and shield, which would offer a nice contrast to Arsene’s emphasis on projectiles. Of course, we can’t just leave it at that. Despite being built to look like your average anime high schooler, remember that Aigis was designed as a weapon of Mass Destruction first and foremost. Her entire body is fitted with an arsenal of firearms. She can shoot bullets from her fingertips, pull out a gatling gun, shoot cannonballs and grenades, fire missiles, use her hands as drills, and much more! If there’s a firearm you can think of, Aigis more than likely has it built into her. As if that’s not enough, Aigis also has a unique mechanic called Orgia Mode, which powers her up for a few turns at the cost of being put out of commission and overheating afterwards. Persona 4 Arena already adapted this mechanic into her moveset in the form of a meter, so I think it could also translate well here as a fun “high risk, high reward” kinda gimmick. In my humble opinion, Aigis has no shortage of moveset potential and could offer the most unique playstyle of any potential Persona rep.

Sooo tl;dr: Aigis is my top choice for a second Persona rep for various reasons. She’s an extremely important and popular character who frequently gets put in major roles, her home games give her tons to work with in terms of moveset potential, it’d give Persona a second rep with a very distinct vibe from Joker, a Persona 3 rep would help round out our modern Persona representation, and she’s based and awesome and cool. I mean, it’s not like SEGA has another badass robot girl they could add, right? I’m not insane enough to pitch two robot grils in the same job, am I? Clearly you’re new here if you think I’m gonna show restraint with cool robots.

Cool Robot #2: Elenor Camuel (Phantasy Star Online)

EE6B7842-B1FB-40CF-A879-AC6FBE333DC6.jpeg

Yep, I’m going two for two on cool JRPG robot girls. Created by the eccentric Newman inventor Dr. Jean Carlo Montague, Elenor is an android in the RAcaseal class. Although she’s loyal to her creator, she yearns to go out into the world and make friends outside of Dr. Montague’s lab. She also possesses the ability of understanding MAGs, which are Phantasy Star Online’s collectable creatures in a similar vein to Chao in the Sonic Adventure games.

I feel like most people here are familiar with Phantasy Star’s uber-successful online side-series just as much as they are with the classic RPGs, but I cannot stress how important PSO is to the gaming landscape. While a handful of console games experimented with online capabilities prior to it, with some notable examples from Sega being Virtual-On, Daytona USA, and ChuChu Rocket (the latter of which would actually lay the foundation for how Sonic Team would approach development on PSO), PSO’s Dreamcast release would become the first fully online console RPG and become a major influence in the genre. It’s very likely that without the original PSO, series like Monster Hunter would not be what they are today. The game received a sequel in 2012 that is still going strong to this day, and even with the servers for the original game shutting down in 2010, dedicated fans are still enjoying it via private servers. Even if all the MMO JRPG hype is surrounding the critically acclaimed Final Fantasy XIV and its free trial these days, the impact PSO left on the gaming landscape cannot be understated, and it’s the main thing keeping the Phantasy Star franchise relevant in the modern day.

Alright, so why Elenor specifically out of PSO’s cast? I’m not really the best judge of who the most popular PSO characters are, but from what I could observe, she seems to be one of the more well-liked cast members. One of the DLC quests in the first game focuses on her and her twin sister, Ult. She also has quite a bit of merch, most notably a keyring strap as part of the Sega Girls line. I was torn between her and Rico Tyrell, another incredibly popular character from the first PSO who is arguably more relevant to the story. It was incredibly close between the two, but Elenor just barely beat Rico out because honestly, I find her potential playstyle to just be a bit more interesting. Also wow cool robot.

Being a part of the Ranger class, Elenor would primarily focus on firearm attacks, but there is a specific quirk that makes the android characters in PSO unique. Instead of being able to use magic, they have the ability to set traps. This could give Elenor a greater focus on stage control in her playstyle, similar to someone like Snake in Smash. You could also implement the MAGs into her moveset since she has a close association with them. Basically how they work in PSO is that you can equip one of them at a time and they’ll provide a stat buff to the player. The more they level up, the greater the increase to both the MAG’s and player’s stats. Also when the player takes damage, they can gradually charge up and unleash a powerful Photon Blast. This is something you’d have to tinker around with to make balanced, but it’s an option that makes sense for her to have. Much like Aigis, Elenor is another cool robot character with a ton of fun moveset potential.

Soo yeah, robots are cool. Let’s get a robot in our roster.

Attachments

Job 117:
Yu Narukami (Persona 4)
1640727291749.png

(Render by TeamDestination)
Who is that?
Yu Narukumi
is the main protagonist and player character in the video Persona 4. He is a transfer student who came to Inaba to stay for a year, only to discover that a series of inexplicable murders is taking place. Soon, he and some classmates discover that these murders are taking place in another world, accessed by going inside a television. Yu then becomes the leader of a group called the Investigation Team in order to find the mysterious Inaba killer and bring him to justice.
Yu Narukami is a silent protagonist except for instances where he speaks when summoning a Persona and so on. His personality is ultimately based on the player's actions and decisions. However, when the protagonist of Persona 4 hears Jika Net Tanaka, he describes it as a cheery song unlike Makoto Yuki who describes it as an annoying song which may indicate some semblance of a personality.
Yu is also one of Popular characters from Persona series and also Fan-Favorite one.

How he could play?
His moveset would consist of his Actions in Persona 4 like Persona Using, Demon summoning or etc. Yu Narukami is a fairly fast fighter with decent amounts of combo potential only increased by his Personas. However he's not a fighter you should play recklessly as unlike Joker who has Rebel's Guard to help him get a Persona more easily, Yu has no such tool. As such, being able to keep your distance using Yu's disjointed attacks is your best bet for getting out a victory.

His Gimmick: Wild Card!
As a main protagonist, similar to Joker. Yu has a meter is filled can summon a Persona that massively boosts his attack's power a knockback that assists in joining in with some attacks. However, unlike Joker, Yu can't use something similar to Rebel's Guard to boost the meter faster... but instead he can use his down special to activate the power of the Wild Card to switch which Persona he uses, which ALSO switches what his neutral special is, and adds elemental attributes depending on the Persona equipped.

Second Fighter: Reala (NiGHTS)

Reala is one of Charactes from NiGHTS and it is NIGHTS' Rival, which it is also Nightmaren living in Dreamworld. It has rival-like relationships with Main character.
Reala is Known Character from NiGHTS and even it appeared in Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed as Playable Character.

Reala could be NiGHTS' Clone like Character, which it could have similar attacks, but some of them are different than NiGHTS'

(I submitted 2 characters, so Speed Weed will see my submission)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #117: Alicia Melchiott (Valkyria Chronicles)
1640727355621.png

Alicia Melchiott is a major character in the first Valkyria Chronicles game and is in many ways the protagonist of her story, even though the player character is Welkin Gunter. She should be in because Valkyria Chronicles is one of the main modern Sega franchises, Selvaria is cool but honestly shouldn't be the only rep, and also could have a completely different moveset based around the game's strategy RPG mechanics and tactics rather than on pure cool flashy moves. Welkin could even show up along with other squad members in her All Star Move, which would involve the massive tank that Welkin pilots. Also I just like her, she's really neat and a unit-placing character would be a great new archetype we don't have.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #117: Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)

Blaze-Fielding-concept-art-work-in-progress.png

With Axel Stone already on the roster, and Adam Hunter and his family providing support, Blaze is the last of the original Streets of Rage cast to get a role within Battle of Ages.

Does Blaze deserve a place as a fighter on the roster? I certainly think so. She's been as active a player as Axel has been, matching his playable appearances in every Streets of Rage and cameo game with the sole exception of Project x Zone 2. She's usually the one who brings the team together too.

For those not in the know, after Blaze left the Wood Oak City police force she became a detective, and is the one who tends to try and investigate any unusual activity the Syndicate bring up as well as form the team who will combat them. Axel? He's out being a hermit or hobo in the sticks these days, and Adam's usually busy with other police work, so it usually falls on Blaze to get a hold of everyone to face off with Mr. X and his crew.

Blaze is one of the most prominent female SEGA characters, and definitely deserves consideration for a playable spot in Battle of Ages.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 117

Gemini Sunrise (Sakura Wars)

Gemini is the icon of Sakura Wars V and is one of the most popular characters in the franchise. She is a Katana Wieldin' Gun Slingin' Cowboy

Like Sakura and other Sakura Wars characters, she drives a mech.

Sakura Wars while not being well known in the west is a big franchise and having one character from the franchise does not represent it very well and using one of the most popular characters from one of the few games that has actually released in the west would be a cool idea.

Balder (Bayonetta)

NOTE: This will contain unmarked spoilers for the whole Bayonetta Franchise.

Balder or the Masked Lumen is the main villain of Bayonetta and a major character in Bayonetta 2 he is the father of Bayonetta. and was playable in Bayonetta 2's multiplayer.

Balder would be a unique pick for this as Balder is adept with a spear and due to his status as a lumen sage can summon Laguna (Angels) and use other powerful magical abilities like transform into a wolf

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to resubmit the killer from Persona 4. For those who haven't played the game, they have a similar Persona to Yu Narukami's (which can use a blade, lightning, and wind attacks), in addition to a revolver.
The Killer (Persona 4)

I'm spoiler tagging this nomination and leaving the name vague because this is technically a big endgame spoiler (and gives away the central mystery) for Persona 4. I have no idea if Persona 4 or Persona 4 Golden will get a Switch port after the success of the Steam release, but either way, I want to play it safe

Have you beaten Persona 4?

And gotten the true/good ending?

(Honestly, this level of secrecy seems unnecessary since the killer's identity was given away by spin-offs and crossovers, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone)

Tohru Adachi (Persona 4)

Seemingly the bumbling, naive rookie on the police force who's a little too open with details about the ongoing murder case, Tohru Adachi is actually the cynical killer who has been throwing people into the TV World and leaving them to die at the hands of the Shadows that inhabit it.

Adachi's Persona, Magatsu Izanagi, is a dark reflection of the main protagonist's default Persona, Izanagi. In addition to powerful physical attacks like Vorpal Blade, Magatsu Izanagi can also use powerful electric and wind attacks. Adachi can technically fight on his own, as seen in his playable appearances in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, though without his Persona, he can't do anything fancy, resorting to kicking people or pistol-whipping them.

As Persona games tend to be self-contained (at least by my understanding), he's never interacted with Joker (to my knowledge, anyway - I haven't played much of Persona Q2), though it seems like they'd have an interesting dynamic if there is a story mode, considering that Joker's a noble Robin Hood-style thief, while Adachi is a corrupt/killer (ex-)cop.
I'm also going to submit Jeanne from Bayonetta.

The protagonist's rival, best friend, and possibly more than that, Jeanne grew up in the same Umbra Witch clan as Bayonetta, and she has the same fighting style as a result. She's more serious than Bayonetta, and something of a daredevil.

Jeanne is nearly identical to Bayonetta in terms of gameplay in their source material, with some minor changes that could be reflected here (takes more damage, hits harder, and has tighter timing for Witch Time). As a result, she'd be a moveset clone of Bayonetta.

Jeanne seems like an easy enough addition - she's important to the series (one of the major villains in the first game, her predicament sets off the second game, and she's playable in both of them), and she'd be less taxing on our hypothetical developers due to being a moveset clone.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
First time to participate in this thread,

Kasumi Goto

1640743677158.png

I am not a Persona fan but Persona 5 is really the one people like a lot and Kasumi had a lot of fanfare when introduced. I also think she protrays a different style utilizing her rapier as opposed to other Persona protags. Again, I don't know much about the controls and such for this game but I would imagine Kasumi would utilize various techniques from Persona 5 while also incorporating her Persona. I don't like the idea of giving her a meter just like Ultimate's Joker. I feel both characters should play differently from the Ultimate iteration.

Janken the Great & Henchmen

1640744355703.png

Again, I know next to nothing about this series but Janken the Great seems like a heavyweight who is something I feel the roster is perhaps missing. In addition, the fighter can bring forth his henchmen which embodies the rock-paper-scissors game. This could possibly translate into an interesting character mechanic where the game of rock-paper-scissors is used. Anything that could resemble a rock from the opponent when Janken throws out paper could deal higher damage.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
First time to participate in this thread,

Kasumi Goto

View attachment 341261

I am not a Persona fan but Persona 5 is really the one people like a lot and Kasumi had a lot of fanfare when introduced. I also think she protrays a different style utilizing her rapier as opposed to other Persona protags. Again, I don't know much about the controls and such for this game but I would imagine Kasumi would utilize various techniques from Persona 5 while also incorporating her Persona. I don't like the idea of giving her a meter just like Ultimate's Joker. I feel both characters should play differently from the Ultimate iteration.

Janken the Great & Henchmen

View attachment 341262
Again, I know next to nothing about this series but Janken the Great seems like a heavyweight who is something I feel the roster is perhaps missing. In addition, the fighter can bring forth his henchmen which embodies the rock-paper-scissors game. This could possibly translate into an interesting character mechanic where the game of rock-paper-scissors is used. Anything that could resemble a rock from the opponent when Janken throws out paper could deal higher damage.
Heyo, I appreciate you being here but it's worth noting that we've already added Janken as an assist, and as such, he's currently ineligible. Apologies

osby

Smash Obsessed
#Job 117-1: MeeMee (Super Monkey Ball)

1640760072468.png

MeeMee is one of the main characters in Super Monkey Ball, first appearing in Monkey Ball and being playable in almost every title ever since. As the girlfriend/wife(?) of the protagonist AiAi, she acts as the second-in-command of the main cast when he's not around. Due to not infrequently being a second Monkey Ball character in crossover games, I think MeeMee would make a good addition if we decide to give one of SEGA's flagship titles another character. I also think it'd be really neat to have her in a major role along with Baby and AiAi, not to mention providing a bit more visual diversity to female fighters of our roster.

Development-wise, MeeMee would play very similar to AiAi but similar to certain mini-games in her own series, she'd be more agile but also lighter and weaker. After all, she's very sweet and gentle so hitting people is not her first choice. However, be careful as she has a lot of pent-up frustration due to worrying about her partner likes bananas more than her so some of her attacks would hit surprisingly hard. Some of her specials or normals would also be modified to make use of her weapon of choice mallet and flower motifs, most importantly her Pink Volcano which is a wide column of shock waves created by her mallet slam.

#Job 117-2: Claude Wallace (Valkyria Chronicles 4)

1640762104215.png

Claude is the main protagonist of Valkyria Chronicles 4. and a first lieutenant who is the commander and tanker of Platoon E, the game's main focus. He's a serious yet passionate young man who forces through his military shortcomings with taking his subordinates' burdens. He also has the unique ability to predict the weather uncannily early, which reflects his in-game abilities. VC4 was a return to form in series in many shapes and I think Claude would be able to bring a different side of the games compared to Selvaria.

Fitting to his Scouts class in his game, Claude would be a slow and weak character who needs to get help from a variety of weapons available to his soldiers to win a fight and possibly focus on set-play. Some weapons he can use are mortars, grenades, sniper rifles, flamethrowers, and his tank Hagen that could act as his All-Star move. He also has a unique passive called Iron Will, which reduces the damage he takes from projectile moves when his stamina is low.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #117 - 2: Ashra (Alex Kidd)

Ashra-by-Primeop-large.png

(Sprite by PrimeOp)

You know I had to submit another Alex Kidd character.

As pointed out above, Janken is unfortunately already an assist, but his son (yes, this is Janken's son according to the Japanese manual, not really a strong family resemblance, huh?) is a perfectly good antagonist who will be able to fill in the role of a heavy-weight role whilst adding another antagonist to the roster.
Whilst Janken is straight up your typical villain dictator, conquering planets and the like, Ashra is someone who likes to try and be intimidating, but is actually pretty timid under all that bravado he uses to prop himself up, as seen when Alex defeats him at the end of Enchanted Castle.

Ashra has a few unique abilities going for him. Obviously he has six arms, allowing him to pull off grapple combinations no one else on the roster would be able to at this point as well as fantastic melee strikes, but he also had the ability to launch his arms off his body like a missile projectile before instantly growing said arms back. Naturally, he would also use Rock, Paper and Scissors as specialist attacks, something I negated to give Alex Kidd in his moveset outside the All-Star move.

Ashra is also responsible for popularising Yakyuken upon Planet Paper-Rock - a Rock, Paper, Scissors variant game which involves the loser losing an item of clothing. Due to wearing very little, it's clear he's very confident in his skills...he does have six arms after all in which to succeed.

In the Western version of Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, rather than being stripped, a huge 100t weight will fall upon the loser, crushing them flat. Ashra would likely incorporate that into his moveset. This may sound familiar to those who played Sega Superstars Tennis where it was Alex's All-Star move.
Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle lose western.png

Ashra's easily a lesser known character than the majority of other suggestions here, but with his six arms, ability to regenerate limbs, rocket punch projectile fists, cartoon-like weight drops, wrestler physique and bravado personality, I think he could make for a very entertaining fighter overall.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 117-2: Satan/The Dark Prince (Puyo Puyo)

1640785649248.png

The Dark Prince, or Satan as he's originally known in Japanese, is often the main antagonist of the Puyo Puyo series. I mean, our Puyo stage is even called Satan's Tower...

I debated long and hard whether to submit my favorite Puyo Puyo protagonist, Ringo, or a fan favorite sometimes-playable enemy Draco Centauros, but I'm going with the big man himself for a few reasons:

1. Villain rep - this helps set him apart!
2. He's cool! I love his boastful attitude and powerful magic as well as his flamboyance. He's a really charming character with a great over-the-top style.
3. Moveset! His magic differs completely from Arle's despite them both being Puyo Puyo reps.

So, while he could obviously use Puyo attacks, his magic attacks include massive elemental attacks that control darkness, light elemental attacks that rain wrath on opponents, flight, a sword of light that can create earthquakes and dark geysers, and he even has plenty of status-draining spells as well which means his playstyle could involve traps and heavy attacks as well as confusing the opponents and baiting them into making mistakes in a fit of panic. For an easy comparison, think of Sephiroth in Smash but more laid back.

Also, he plays the ukelele! Look at him go!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I shall resubmit the Magician
"I must admit, I really respect your consistency. But you will never, ever defeat me! Say hello to my masterpiece!"

Thanks for the introduction, Curien.

Job #100 - SEGA Villain: The Magician from The House of the Dead
View attachment 337592
(Listen to this for maximum effect)

Type-0, codenamed "The Magician", is a recurring boss in the House of the Dead franchise. A synthetic humanoid creature with special powers, he's the masterpiece of Dr. Curien, and has had to be fought and defeated by the AMS multiple times.

I've pushed for Rikiya Busujima as the HotD rep in the past - and I'll continue doing so if the Magician doesn't win this prompt - but the latter would probably be my second choice from the series. He's appeared time and time again in the series, being the final boss of the first game and reappearing as a boss in the second and fourth. He possesses fire powers and the ability to teleport and levitate, which could make for one hell of a sick moveset. He's a huge fan-favorite, being easily the most iconic and memorable of the series' bosses. And I think of the villains that are eligible for this job, he in particular would still work really well as a standalone representative for his series, I feel. Also he's just ****ing sick.

So yeah, no big writeups this time, but the Magician is cool and epic and awesome and it'd be very cool and epic and awesome if he got in, even with how much I've shilled for Busujima
This post is a bit outdated but the main things to gleam are that he's a recurring and very popular character in the HotD series and would have a sick moveset. Busujima is in now, but IMO, the Magician would round out the HotD representation very well and the two of them together would make for an extremely fun character lineup from the series.

I shall resubmit the Magician

This post is a bit outdated but the main things to gleam are that he's a recurring and very popular character in the HotD series and would have a sick moveset. Busujima is in now, but IMO, the Magician would round out the HotD representation very well and the two of them together would make for an extremely fun character lineup from the series.
Your pick is cool like mine.

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
I'm happy someone already submitted Reala, but I am crashing the party here anyways because I think I am the only one who is going to be passionate enough about this man to do a write up.

Job #117
Jaguar/Shadow(SC5)

Jaguar is the mysterious, handsome, and self-righteous leader of the Space Pirate Broadcasting Station, and a man who calls himself "The Voice of Truth". He commands the ship "Rogueship-A-Gogo" to the scene of any and all incidents, interrupting and taking over broadcasts by other news channels. Much like every other character from Space Channel 5, he is also a terrific dancer. He is a former reporter for the titular Space Channel 5, who saved Ulala's life at a young age, before leaving to be the head broadcaster at Underground Pirate Broadcasting System after being fired for trying to expose Space Channel 5 CEO Chief Blank as responsible for the spaceship accident that killed Ulala's parents and left her the sole survivor.

In the second game, he is also one of the game's main antagonists after having been brainwashed by the game's main antagonist, Cloaked Purge, to lead the robot group who are the main bad guys of the second game, the Rhythm Rogues. This form of Jaguar is also known by the name Shadow and has a black and red color scheme.

...No relation. Just so things aren't confusing with a possible two Shadows in the game, I'm imagining he would get in as Jaguar, and just have Shadow as an alt.

The UPBS is an important aspect of the series, but especially in the newest entry to the series, Space Channel 5 VR, plus they would be a fun second rep for Space Channel 5. Obviously, his inclusion needs to have the dance moves Space Channel 5 is known for, but Jaguar can be seen as almost a stand character with backup in the form of Jaguar Squad, a group of space pirates in the typical space pirate attire.

And as of Space Channel 5 VR, he has 3 new reporters on top of the classic Jaguar Squad, they are The Jaguars, Kell, Bello, and Soon-soon. They are three bright, new space pirates, each with their own backgrounds in law, science, and drag racing, who join UPBS' group of reporters and ride around on hoverboards.

As Shadow, you can even replace the space pirates with various grunts from the Rhythm Rogues.

I believe with Space Michael being (respectfully) written out of the series after the original's passing, Jaguar has moved up to being the third most important character only behind Ulala and Pudding. His only appearance outside of a Space Channel 5 game (to my knowledge) is Project X Zone in his form as Shadow.

YopAlonso

Smash Rookie
Job 117: Ringo Ando (Puyo Puyo)

The cheerful, scientific, intellectual girl from the Science Club of Suzuran High! When it comes to Puyo Puyo protagonists, or even characters in the Puyo universe with unique, original skills, Ringo sticks out as a sore thumb with her zapping mathematics.

In terms of movesets I never thought of a moveset, but she has a variety of skills, a tangible Counter move, she's also the original book-smacker, and her archetype as a character could work as a mid-range rushdown character, swooping in and dealing damage with disjointed attacks and lightning moves. Or, you know, smacking them with her book. The sky's not the limit!

(Plus she could have two alts, with one half being her modern outfit, and the other being her Suzuran High uniform)

D

Deleted member

Rico Tyrell

A major character in Phantasy Star Online. Also known as Red Ring Rico. A famous scientist and a skilled hunter, Rico is a member of Pioneer 1. Despite her reputation, Rico often doubts herself, something that leads her to be a target for the evil force known as Dark Falz.

Nahobino
The main protagnist of Shin Magami Tensei 5. I was allways kind of adverse to putting this character in before their game was out but now that its been out for a bit I'm more open to it. A high school student who bonds with a mysterious figure, gaining powers in order to battle demons.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Fellas, it is time to start the vote up! Let's look at our options:

Aika ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Reala ( tonygameman tonygameman and also Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Aigis ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Elenor Camuel ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Yu Narukami ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Alicia Melchiott ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Blaze Fielding ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Gemini Sunrise ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Balder ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
The Killer ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Jeanne ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Kasumi Yoshizawa ( Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom )
MeeMee ( osby osby )
Claude Wallace ( osby osby )
Ashra ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Satan ( Flyboy Flyboy )
Magician Type-0 (meeeeeeee)
Jaguar ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Ringo Andou ( YopAlonso YopAlonso )
Rico Tyrell (@Darkonedagger)
Nahobino (@Darkonedagger)

So, like, this is a ginormous lineup of characters, so only doing the top 3 would both be extremely hard and probably leave us with a whole bunch of zero-voters. That's why, just like last time, we are voting on our top 6 picks instead. Works just like last time. Ok now go off

ALSO pleaaaaase keep your own submission in sixth place if you're going to self-vote

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
  1. Rico Tyrell (As I said in my Elenor write-up, PSO is a super important game to SEGA’s history and should definitely get something. She’s also a cool scientist lady with a sword, what’s not to love?)
  2. Blaze (What else is there to say? Blaze is cool as **** and she’s just as important to Streets of Rage as Axel is. Very worthy of a playable slot)
  3. Gemini (Still haven’t played much of Sakura Wars, but I like the funny yeehaw girl. She’s neat :))
  4. Satan (More villains is always a good thing. Also helps that he’s a really fun character and one of my favorites from Puyo Puyo)
  5. Alicia (I’m really happy we have Selvaria, but I think Alicia is just as good of a rep. Wouldn’t hurt to have both)
  6. Aigis (Have absolutely zero shame in shilling my girl)
Some honorable mentions include Nahobino (if you couldn’t tell by my avatar, I’ve been having a blast with SMTV lately), The Killer (A super fun character and my favorite Persona villain, but I have reservations because they’re a walking spoiler), and Jaguar (Love me a good stand-like character). A lot of really fun and inspired choices this round!

D

Deleted member

1. Blaze (She's cool)
2. Aigis (Cute Robot!)
3. Elenor (see above)
4. Gemini Sunrise (Yeehaw)
5. Satan (More villains. Also having having a character just named Satan would be funny)
6. Rico (Self vote but upon doing my research for her I just found her to be cool.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is a very tough round with a lot of incredible characters, so I'm going to get in-depth on why I'm voting how I am. Or, well, a little in-depth sometimes at least.

1. Aigis - I'm a huge Persona fan. I've played all the games in the series with the exception of Persona Q2 at least to some extent. To me, there is literally no better second rep for this series (and, yes, I do firmly believe it should have a second rep given how big it's gotten) than Aigis. She is one of the best-written characters in the series and not only is the playable protagonist of Persona 3 FES's post-game story, she is also as much of a "mascot" to Persona 3 as one can get, and was given HEAVY story focus in both Persona 4 Arena and the sequel, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. She differs WILDLY from any other Persona-using character, being a robot armed with weaponry, and she is a fan favorite to boot. She just ticks all of these different boxes for me. Also, a cool robot!!!!

2. Elenor Camuel - When I think of how PSO was advertised in all the magazines I saw HUcast and RAcaseal everywhere. I wanted to play PSO so bad growing up and I know how influential it was and how big PSO2 is nowadays. We 100% need a rep from this era of PS. We already have a great one for classic PS, so to get a well-loved character (who is also, may I mention, A Cool Robot) would be excellent for roster diversity and era representation.

3. Gemini Sunrise - Much like PSO, I really feel that Sakura Wars would benefit from a second rep that exemplifies the diversity in eras the series has had. Gemini Sunrise, as the protagonist of the first Sakura Wars to make it to America, has historical importance in that regard, and also she's just cool. She's a cowboy! With a katana! And a superpowered side! And a big robot! She's just such a fun character that would be a blast to play.

4. Blaze Fielding - I'll be real, she has my least deep reasons for voting for her. I just love Streets of Rage. I'm biased. And she's my second-favorite character in the series, with Skate being my fav. I also think her kick-heavy moveset is exciting. She's a worthy and fun second rep for the series and I love her style.

5. Rico Tyrell - As said, Phantasy Star needs something to represent PSO. Rico is not only cool just because she's, like, a really fun character, but she also has major story significance leading to her being possessed by the recurring Phantasy Star series' boss, Dark Falz. This allows us to not only get a PSO rep but also potentially tap into that side of her and get some representation for a great boss character as well. Plus I'm not gonna lie I just think she's cute :)

6. Alicia - A self-vote, but as I've said before, I really think Valkyria should have a protagonist or at least a hero as a rep to go along with Selvaria and Alicia is a character that sparks immense joy. She can represent the strategic side of the gameplay of the series, has major story ramifications that give her killer moveset potential of her own, AND her All Star Move could summon a tank. A winner all around.

---

That said, holy moley, the honorable mentions are through the roof. Ringo is my favorite Puyo Puyo protagonist. I couldn't vote for Satan because he's mine but I'd LOVE to see him make it down the line. Reala is great fun, and Jaguar's write-up sold me. In all the excitement I even forgot to mention The Magician - what an inspired idea. This was a strong, strong lineup, and it was really fun to see all the submissions come rolling in.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Alicia Melchiott (Overpowered as she is in Valkyria Chronicles, she's one of my favourite characters in the series)
2. Claude Wallace (Currently playing VC4 and just got to Chapter 16 which has some very big oofs plot wise that ol' Claude has to deal with)
3. Satan (A rare villain pick, actually a pretty fun guy.)
4. Reala (So good, two people submitted him. Also more villains.)
5. Rico (Science, yo. PSO warrants someone but I'm torn between our options. Coin flipped for Rico. Science vs. robo)
6. Blaze Fielding (Shameless self vote but c'mon it's Blaze!)

Shout out to Aika too who is both my favourite Skies of Arcadia character and is my other favourite Valkyria Chronicles character...I just can't justify my top three all being Valkyria Chronicles bias picks!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
1. Alicia Melchiott (I REALLY think she is honestly the most deserving choice for Valkyria Chronicles. She is also in every game, she would make for a rep who feels like they can closely match the game's actual playstyle, and I would say she's just as important if not more to the game than Selvaria is.)
2. Reala (I can't at good faith put this at 1 because I know this is a semi-clone situation, and I can't deny that my biases are taking over here. I like his whole dark knight jester deal, I think you can do some fun stuff by incorporating stuff related to the Persona masks + both game's boss battles, and I will fight for more reps from the Sega Saturn era until the day Panzer Dragoon is in this.)
3. Jeanne (I'm shocked we don't have her, but I guess there's only so many characters and so little room. She's another one that leans clone, but I think you can have a lot of fun incorporating basically anything you can't with Bayonetta's moveset.)
4. Aigis (Persona as a franchise is huge enough I think it deserves a second rep. I feel like her popularity has sort of dwindled, personally, but I also don't know anyone who doesn't love her and I think she would have one of the most unique movesets out of any of the Persona options who make the most sense.)
5. Satan (Puyo + Magic. I don't have a lot to say but given how important to Puyo Puyo (not the richest of lore, I know, but still...), and I think there are some unique things you can do with his moves, I would say he makes a good second rep.)
6. Jaguar (I just think he's pretty.)

I love Blaze, Aika, Claude, The Killer, Yu, and Ringo. They would all be my runners-up, I just think it's either not their time, they seem like their movesets wouldn't be different enough from other reps to me, or I just need a little more to put them over the ones here. I would probably put one of the PSO reps, Gemini Sunrise, or Nahobino, too, if I knew more about their series/games to know how well they would fit for sure, but the write-ups intrigued me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Elenor (I think PSO itself can use another character and you really can't go wrong with robot girls. Can't say I know much about her but I'm interested in learning)
  2. Blaze (We're this close to having the entire cast of the original SoR together. She also has an amazing design)
  3. Ringo (Another character that sounds like a lot of fun to me. Her personality seems really different from the ditzy Arle and I think they'd complement each other well)
  4. Jeanne (That's a biased pick but I enjoy having clone characters in fighting games and she seems like an obvious addition, being Bayonetta's close companion and girlfriend)
  5. Reala (Similar to Jeanne, and he had the added bonus of being a currently-rare villain. His design also always struck me as positively creepy)
  6. Yu (He's a bit low on here because I think we have plenty of ATLUS content already but I can't just not vote for this dork, especially given how fun he was in P4U)

Top Bottom