• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, voting is closed! Here are the results:

Primp Town: 1 points
Grimp: 6 points
Puyo Puyo: 9 points
Satan's Tower: 17 points

And with that, our Puyo Puyo stage will be Satan's Tower!

Moving on:

Job #90: Submit a tracklist for Satan's Tower

As usual, we will now be working on a tracklist for our newest stage! You know the drill by now, keep it to a max of 16 tracks, you can include one or two misc. tracks from other SEGA properties if you so desire, and so on and so forth.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #90: Tracklist for Satan's Tower
  1. Puyo Puyo Medley (Remix; Theme, Sticker and Final of Puyo Puyo - 1:30 to 5:21 - loops back to "Theme" once a "Final" part ends)
  2. It's Been A Long Time Since We've Passed Through Space Time! (20th Anniversary/Vocal)
  3. Puyo Puyo Tsu Medley (Area A/Pinch! as a looping part/Darkness - Remix)
  4. Last from Puyo Puyo Tsu (Original/20th Anniversary)
  5. Arle's Theme/Normal Mode (Puyo Puyo Sun; Original/Chronicle)
  6. Rival Challenge!
  7. Last Decisive Battle? (Puyo Puyo~n)
  8. Fever Mode Medley (Remix)
  9. The Ultimate Legend of the Untrained Demon King
  10. Ringo's Theme (Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary)
  11. Dark Arle's Insanity
  12. Her Dream Is To Be A Fantastic Sorceress (20th Anniversary/Vocal)
  13. Dimension Stage ~ Decisive Battle (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
  14. Battle Theme (Madou Monogatari - Remix)
  15. Try Out/Memories of Puyo Puyo (Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 - Remix)
  16. Clotho (Columns; misc. - Remix)
  17. Extra (not related to a tracklist): Hurry Up!! (Puyo Puyo Tetris; plays when only 30 seconds are left in a timer or during Sudden Death like both Mushroom Kingdoms and Street Fighter II songs in Suzaku Castle)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, and with that, tonygameman's tracklist for Satan's Tower wins by default!

Moving on to our last Puyo job for now:

Job #91: Submit a Puyo Puyo assist

And of course, we now begin to cover assists. I'm not a huge Puyo expert but from what I've observed, this series' fanbase is reaaaaaaally passionate about each character so I imagine there's quite the fun cast of characters to choose from.

However, as always, do please keep in mind that whatever character we add as an assist will be disqualified for a playable spot.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #91: Tee (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
1635255699444.png

This is Tee, captain of the SS Tetra and Tetris-player extraordinaire. He appears as a secondary lead in the Puyo Puyo Tetris games, and when summoned as an assist will place Tetris blocks that can impede players, create fall damage, and after a few moments link together to create a Tetris (four line clear) that causes an explosion and sends people near the stack flying.

Perhaps this is an unusual choice, but with the PPT games helping the franchise break out fully in the West and Sega themselves having a history with the Tetris IP and owning the PPT characters (In fact, on the Genesis Mini one of the exclusive games was a fully finished version of Tetris that had never been released before) I think it's a fun way to incorporate something a bit more modern. As you said, though, there are tons of potential Puyo Puyo reps and I'm excited to see what people come up with.

JOB 91!
Draco Centauros (Puyo Puyo)

Draco is one of Characters in Puyo Puyo series. She is Half-Dragon and Half-Human hybrid and she is one of Character that fought Arle and Lost due Arle's Puyo Victory.

When Summoned: She could punch or Kick the Enemy if the Enemy is Close her. When is Far, she breaths flame so hard that the Enemies become Toasty! (Mortal Kombat Reference LOL) after 5 seconds catching on Fire themselves.

I picked my Girl Draco, because she could be fun Assist to play, especially on Competitives when you fight the Tryhard and you don't have a chance, then you could summon Draco to burn down Player as form of Secret Weapon!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
A fun cast of characters?
Nah, how about I submit literal garbage instead:

Job #92: Garbage Puyos

A huge amount of them start raining down from the screen for a few seconds and deal damage to anyone they hit while falling down. They also stay on the ground for a few seconds although they don’t really do anything when they’re there. They just sit there and can act as a platform.

For real though I think it would be nice to get a little bit of variety in our assists by adding one that isn’t really a character. Like what smash does by adding things like lakitus or other enemies. Plus garbage puyos are a huge part of the series’s gameplay so I think it makes sense to add them.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 91

Suketoudara

Suketoudara will spawn and start dancing and from here he will use a few moves
Surf Beat: Suketoudara poses and a large wave of Puyos and water explode fromh him
Ripple Turn: Suketodara starts to surf on a puyo and creates a giant wave of water when he turns
Funky Wave: Suketodarra does a different dance and fast moving low damage water puyos shoot out from him

Suketoudara ends the assist by using Dancin' all nights in which Suektoudara dances and if you don't taunt you take damage.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #91: Skeleton T

Skeleton T.png

This tea loving bone man is often the first opponent fought in Puyo Puyo titles. His AI is known to be exceptionally weak, not even taking the advantage to rotate his Puyo. Whilst many may think this is poor decision making on his part, Skeleton T is simply not a coward who needs to resort to underhanded things like tactics or strategies. He takes things at his own pace.

When summoned, Skeleton T will simply kneel down on a cushion and drink his tea calmly.
Summoning Skeleton T summons forth multiple Puyo items to spawn. Due to his weak Puyo clearing skills/enjoyment of just having a nice time drinking tea, he doesn't actually interact with the Puyo items that spawn at all, they simply rain down as he takes deep relaxing sips. The game might insist he play Puyo Puyo, but this skeleton is in no rush even if those little goopballs are falling.

See, Skeleton T enjoys a slower pace of life...and he shares this notion with the opponents of his summoner, because the floor soon becomes covered in the Puyo items which will slow their running speed down as they step on the goopy Puyos, making movement difficult in the process. This allows his summoner to take advantage of his addictive chill out time, by setting up their own tactics to take advantage of stuck opponents.

However, once Skeleton T has finished his relaxing drink, he will leave, causing the Puyo to vanish briefly after he goes as well.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, voting is over! Let's take a look:

Tee: 14 points
Draco: 1 points
Garbage Puyos: 4 points
Suketoudara: 6 points
Skeleton T: 5 points

And by a remarkable landslide, Tee will be our Puyo Puyo assist!

So that's our Puyo jobs done and over with. Before we do our next character job, let's do something else for a bit.

So remember when I talked about having SEGA characters make cameos as major NPCs in the game, and that led to us including Asobin as the menu guide? Well, it's been a while, and I think it's high time we do another one of those:

Job #92: Who will be our shopkeeper?

So when talking about other roles we could put SEGA characters in, the most obvious one that immediately comes to mind for me is, indeed, the shopkeeper. I mean, we have a shop. Someone's gotta run that shop. And while we're at it, they could probably also talk to us as we buy things at the shop. So.........

But yeah, we will now submit a character for the prestigious role of shopkeeper. So like last time: who are they? Why should they be the shopkeeper? Would they have any particular quirks in their interaction with you? There's a lot you can do here, and I'm excited to see what you people pull out. So HAVE AT YOU

Job 92:
Shop Lady (Fantasy Zone)

Shop lady could be Shopkeeper, because according to her Status that was supposed to be in Space Fantasy Zone, which was canceled. After the Cancelation, Shop Lady rose from Death and she appears as Shopkeeper in the Game.
She Sells:
  • Capsule Toys that you can't get from Capsule Machine
  • Artworks
  • Alternate Costumes
  • Songs

I nominate her, because just like I said earlier, she could could perfect Example for Battle of AGES' Shop's Shopkeeper that is very nice and polite towards costumer, who wants to buy Capsule Toys, Artworks, Alts and Songs.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #92: Nugget (Yakuza)

D2ADF962-EDAC-4C54-8AAB-8A8EC6ED193F.jpeg

To those who haven’t played Yakuza 0, Nugget might just seem like a regular ol’ chicken. But those who have played the game know there’s way more than meets the eye with him. When Kiryu enters a bowling competition in hopes of winning a cooked turkey, he instead wins a live chicken due to a misunderstanding. Not wanting to see the chicken get turned into dinner, Kiryu adopts the chicken as his pet and names him Nugget. He can also be assigned the role of manager in the real-estate minigame, where he’s actually pretty decent. Given how Nugget has already proven himself to be a force to be reckoned with in the business world, I think he’d be more than capable of running his own shop.

As for what Nugget will do in terms of character interactions, well... he’s a chicken. He’ll cluck at you and move his head around just like any normal chicken would, all while taking care of the financial stuff that comes with being a small business owner. Honestly, I just think it’d be funny to have this regular-looking chicken managing the shop. Plus, it’d be a fun callback to one of Yakuza 0’s most memorable side quests.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #92: Omochao (Sonic the Hedgehog)

I'm Omochao! I'll tell you anything you want to know. Look me up if you ever need some help!
Omochao is a mass-produced robotic Chao with virtually unlimited knowledge about the world who is a staple informant in the Sonic series. Aside from his role as a hint giver, he also handled the Skill Shop in Sonic Generations and this will be his primary role in this game.

Omochao makes a lot of sense as such a constant presence in one of the biggest series of SEGA, as minor as it may be. He's friendly and helpful towards the player but has a tendency to talk too fast and ramble a lot. Given how he knows everything about everything, he feels obliged to give advice about which items are on sale and which ones are hot right now. He also warns the player if they are being too careless with their money, regardless of their appreciation of the said advice or how much he repeats it.

1635429033774.png

His shop is shaped like the Skill Shop in Generations and he will fly around with his propeller while doing his job.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Once again, found myself stuck between two options. This option is a solo character though and I think can work on their own, although it is unfortunately another Sonic character:

Job #92: Sticks the Badger (Shopkeeper)
Sticks-Sonic-Channel-Art.png

Who is she?

Sticks is a semi-obscure Sonic character, having debuted in the controversial Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric(and much loved Sonic Boom animated series), but has since appeared in non Boom game titles such as Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games, and mobile game offerings such as Sonic Runners and Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom.

So out of all the Sonic characters, why Sticks as the shopkeeper?
  1. It suits her in a strange way: Sticks is a horder, who has dozens of trinkets and weird junk just laying all over her burrow. You need a particular item she's likely got it, even if she's using it for something other than it's intended purpose.

2. Sticks is also incredibly paranoid and slightly insane, having not had much interaction with people. Whilst waiting for the player to purchase an item, I can see her leaning heavily on the fourth wall or becoming erratic, which may lead to a little bit of humour.

3. As a character, Sticks is as likely to point out the problems with consumerism as she is to get distracted by the shiny thing she's selling to the player, making her a hodgepodge of amusing contradictions for a shopkeeper.

4. Additionally Sticks is one of the few characters I can think of that has no real politeness 'filter' when she speaks, allowing her to freely insult whatever character that comes into her shop or even the player themselves in a blunt but unmalicious way. I think this could lead to some funny moments, as she comments on whoever comes in.

5. Lastly Sticks the Badger, whilst not unpopular in her own right, is unlikely to ever get in to a fighter role due in part to being heavily associated with Sonic Boom. Also because she has more established characters such as Knuckles, Amy Rose, Shadow the Hedgehog, Blaze the Cat, The Chaotix, Silver the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic and others standing in between her and a chance to throw her fancy boomerangs meaning she'd be unlikely to make the roster even if Battle of Ages had four sequels with DLC.

The shop, aka Sticks' burrow:

Sticks-burrow.png

How the interactions go(roughly):
Sticks will stand behind the counter, greet the player(likely with a little bit of an insult), freeze, then dive down behind the counter stating she knows exactly what the player wants as she rummages through the junk on the floor, throwing brick-a-brack everywhere before presenting you with several items to choose from.

If the player doesn't like any of these items, Sticks will sweep them off the counter (complete with the sound of breaking as the previous items are pushed off), dive back, rummage again and present replacement items.

Whilst waiting, Sticks will occasionally drum her fingers on the counter whilst forcing to keep her smile momentarily. After a while she lowers herself behind the shop counter so only her eyes and the top of her head are seen, frantically looking left and right rapidly in her paranoid mannerisms if the player takes too long to select an item.

If the player continues to take too long deciding or makes Sticks clear the items repeatedly, she brings up a voodoo doll of the fighter who the player last played as, slowly threateningly waggling it at the player, before placing two fingers at her eyes and then at the player, with a 'I'm watching you' motion and slowly lowering herself behind the counter to put the doll down, maintaining eye contact the entire time before returning to normal.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #92: Mario Grianni (Shenmue)
1635448735416.png

This was a shockingly difficult job...I had a lot of fun ideas but I think I'm settling on this one. Mario Grianni is the owner of a local pizzeria in Dobuita that Ryo Hazuki can often frequent, a place called Bob's Pizzeria. As a shopkeeper, the whole thing would be restaurant-themed, offering up several "menus" that the player can order from, all containing various unlockables, cosmetic items, etc. In fact, should it please the thread, we could even include cameos from other famous restauranteurs from SEGA history!

1635448900809.png

Bob's Pizzeria is a memorable location in Shenmue, not least of which because the music absolutely slaps. Plus I just think it's funny to have a restaurant-themed shop hosted by an Italian. Not convinced? Just check out their ad!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Nugget
2. Mario

Omochao gets an honourable mention; this round of voting was a tough one.

Top Bottom