• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
If we're doing a third-party pick for SEGA, I would love to see a character from Midway be 'the pick'.

View attachment 391949

My reasoning is simple - the best-selling SEGA console beyond a shadow of a doubt is the Genesis/Mega Drive, and Midway is the only company besides SEGA themselves who have had numerous games on the Genesis that have sold over a million. In fact, out of the seventeen games that sold over a million for the Genesis, there's only one that is not a SEGA or Midway game, and it's the Genesis port of Street Fighter II.

There's one snag, however, and that's that its biggest franchise for the console has never been published in Japan after its second entry.

I thought about Sub-Zero, but realistically, it made sense to go with option B

Job #293: Charles Barkley (NBA Jam)
View attachment 391951

Charles Barkley: NBA Legend, and arguably the most famous basketball player to be in NBA Jam. He is also (I believe) the only NBA Jam character to get his own game outside of Jam. They even kept Jam in the title.

View attachment 391953
Jordan and Shaq got their own games, too (and infamous ones, at that), but Midway couldn't get their licenses, so Barkley is our guy. He will always be dribbling his ball, and can use it as a weapon. You can focus his moveset around dodging and sports-based basketball attacks to mirror the real-life sport, and instead of giving him his own voice clips, I would also suggest that his big moves are given color commentary by Tim Kitzrow, whose lines he recorded for the original NBA Jam were so iconic, they put him in every Midway sports game afterward (plus a cameo in the game 'Rage 2')

Real people on a fake fighting game on my opinion is a terrible option,but if you want to submit,it's alright for you

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Real people on a fake fighting game on my opinion is a terrible option,but if you want to submit,it's alright for you
......Why did you have to randomly badmouth their submission in their face like that? Yeah, I did advise against real people, but it was never a hard rule and they're still free to do it if they really believe in the pick. This is just unnecessary

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
......Why did you have to randomly badmouth their submission in their face like that? Yeah, I did advise against real people, but it was never a hard rule and they're still free to do it if they really believe in the pick. This is just unnecessary
I didn't say swearing,i just didn't like the idea of have a real person playable on this game concept who have fictional characters,that's it

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I didn't say swearing,i just didn't like the idea of have a real person playable on this game concept who have fictional characters,that's it
Alright, but that doesn't change the fact that it's very rude and completely unnecessary to tell someone their pick sucks like that

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
I considered a lot of options here. Edward Falcon, Captain Falcon, Nightmare, Earthworm Jim, but here's one that stuck out to me. One of the most iconic characters in the whole world. A character who had a series of games directly developed and published by Sega. A character who's home company and Sega have a long standing relationship.

Mickey-Mouse-Png-38.png

Mickey Mouse
Sega developed and published the Illusion series of performers between 1990 and 1998. Starring the world famous cartoon mouse and his friends in various fantasy themed adventures, the most famous enough the original being '1990's Castle of Illusion. There was even a remake in 2013. These games are pretty fondly remembered and Disney are still trying to draw on the nostalgia for them, with last year's Disney Illusion Island being very cleary being inspired by the classic games.

Disney and Sega have a sort of relationship in the public eye too. There where several Disney games published and \ or developed by Sega during the Mega Drive era, with most of their films released during this time period getting games based on them.

The_Lion_King_Sega_Genesis_Cover (1).jpg
Jungle_Book_game_cover.jpg

Aladdin_genesis_cover.jpg
Quackshot.jpg

Sega's line up of Disney games where often considered a big draw for a lot of people towards their platforms over others. This relationship has somewhat continued. Sonic and friends appear in Wreck it Ralph and it's sequel, and pre 're-design movie Sonic appeared in the new Chip and Dale movie. Ralph himself appeared in Racing Transformed as a guest promo character.

i-just-realized-sonic-appeared-in-his-modern-appearance-in-v0-ygqsrjfu0esb1.jpg

fun-fact-wreck-it-ralphs-first-appearance-in-a-racing-game-v0-etcxqok5snvc1.jpg

You could have picked any number of Disney characters for this spot. But I think Mickey makes the most sense. Both to rep the popular Illusion series and as a general rep for the company as a whole. He's timeless and instantly recognisable to pretty much every demographic. A reveal trailer with him meeting Sonic would be huge. Would this ever happen? Probably not. But making the impossible possible is the fun of these kind of threads.

For his moveset, Mickey would more than likely be based on the Illusion games, carrying over the same attacks such as bouncing on foes and using the fruit to fly up. He would also use attacks based on his various shorts and films, especially the sorcerers hat. I was thinking he would have a special that could summon objects and characters from the other MD Disney games

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
For a special guest, I'd go with Sonic's REAL Ultimate Rival, the fat guy with the funny mustache... no the OTHER fat guy with the funny mustache.

MARIO

kindpng_37525.png

Mario, the iconic character from the Mario Bros. series, was created by Japanese video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto. He first appeared in the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong as “Jumpman” before being renamed Mario. This mustached Italian plumber, (originally from Brookly depending on what continuity you want to follow) resides in the Mushroom Kingdom. He's known for his red cap, blue overalls, and cheerful personality. Mario’s primary abilities include his exceptional jumping and stomping powers, and skills with a hammer. Throughout his adventures, he gains additional powers from items like the Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, and Super Star, allowing him to grow larger, shoot fireballs, and become invincible.

Mario’s rivalry with Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega’s speedy blue mascot, is one of the most famous in video game history. This rivalry began in the early 1990s when Sega positioned Sonic as a cooler, faster alternative to Mario, leading to the “Console Wars” between Nintendo and Sega. Their rivalry has continued into the game themselves, with Mario and Sonic competing against each other in the Olympic games as well as battling to the death in Smash Bros. If Sonic can show up in Mario's territory, then turn-about is only fair play.

I don't think you need to get fancy or complex with his moves. I'd just bring him straight over from Smash Bros. preferably with his tornado spin rather than his Fludd.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Allllllright, gamers, it's time to vote.

Here are our candidates:

Hatsune Miku ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Kenshiro ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Neptune ( HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 )
Grimgor Ironhide ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Xenomorph ( D darkvortex )
Lupin III ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Cotton ( Flyboy Flyboy )
The Genie ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Rexy ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Mega Man ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Shinra/Kagari ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Hello Kitty ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Evangelion Unit-01 (moi)
Justin ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Charles Barkley ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Mickey Mouse ( TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER )
Mario ( Oddball Oddball )

Vote for your top 4 picks - you can self-vote, but only in fourth place. Vote carefully and responsibly. Have at it

1. Lupin
2. Miku
3. Cotton
4. Xenomorph

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Lupin
2. Kenshiro
3. Shinra/Kagari
4. Cotton

This was a really difficult decision so I went with personal bias. I think we all submitted some unique, important guests all who have a claim to be added. Eva, Hello Kitty, the Warhammer character, and pretty much all of them are ones I'm sad to have left off my list. It was fun!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Allllllright, gamers, it's time to vote.

Here are our candidates:

Hatsune Miku ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Kenshiro ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Neptune ( HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 )
Grimgor Ironhide ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Xenomorph ( D darkvortex )
Lupin III ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Cotton ( Flyboy Flyboy )
The Genie ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Rexy ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Mega Man ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Shinra/Kagari ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Hello Kitty ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Evangelion Unit-01 (moi)
Justin ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Charles Barkley ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Mickey Mouse ( TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER )
Mario ( Oddball Oddball )

Vote for your top 4 picks - you can self-vote, but only in fourth place. Vote carefully and responsibly. Have at it

1. Lupin
2. Miku
3. Cotton
4. Xenomorph
  1. Lupin III - I think this one's just a lot of fun, and it's a pick I've lowkey been mulling over for some time.
  2. Shinra / Kagari - I think an Ikaruga rep just makes tons of sense, and Shinra's design & write-up really sold me on him.
  3. Kenshiro - This one just makes sense in a lot of ways, and to be honest, I think his interactions could be a lot of fun too.
  4. Miku - She's often picked in rosters like this, but I still think she's a cool pick regardless. She'd be pretty fun!
That being said, lots of shoutouts here - there's a lot of awesome picks. This one was really difficult to vote on!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Fellas, the time has come. The votes are in. Our final character has been decided upon. SO LET'S DO IT

Here it is:

Miku: 30 points
Kenshiro: 24 points
Neptune: 4 points
Grimgor: 1 points
Xeno: 17 points
Lupin: 32 points
Cotton: 9 points
Genie: 1 points
Rexy: 1 points
Rock: 14 points
Shinra: 7 points
Kitty: 8 points
Eva: 10 points
Justin: 1 points
Barkley: 7 points
Mickey: 13 points
Mario: 2 points

This was an intense fight, but we do have a winner. As such, the chosen guest fighter for Season 4, the final character in this project, capping off Battle of AGES with style, it's none other than......LUPIN THE THIRD!!!!!!

As such, the Battle of AGES roster is complete! 54 characters, spanning across all of SEGA's history, have been added. And here are all of them:

-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Miles "Tails" Prower (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Metal Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
-Sarah Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
-Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
-Pai Chan (Virtua Fighter)
-Joker (Persona)
-Aigis (Persona)
-Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)
-Raidou Kuzunoha (Devil Summoner)
-Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
-Ichiban Kasuga (Yakuza)
-Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
-Satan (Puyo Puyo)
-Nei (Phantasy Star)
-Matoi (Phantasy Star)
-Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
-Gemini Sunrise (Sakura Wars)
-Alicia Melchiott (Valkyria Chronicles)
-Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)
-Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
-Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
-Rikiya Busujima (The House of the Dead)
-The Magician Type-0 (The House of the Dead)
-Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone)
-Alex Kidd
-Temjin (Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON)
-Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)
-NiGHTS
-Bowie (Shining)
-Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)
-Ulala (Space Channel 5)
-Honey (Fighting Vipers)
-Pengo
-Princess Kurumi (Ninja Princess)
-Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
-Asha (Wonder Boy)
-Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
-Beat (Jet Set Radio)
-AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
-Amigo (Samba de Amigo)
-Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)
-Gunstar Red (Gunstar Heroes)
-Bayonetta
-Gunner (Etrian Odyssey)
-Princess (7th Dragon)
-Love and Berry (Oshare Majo Love and Berry)
-Football Manager
-Zheng Jiang (Total War)
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Lupin III
I'll try to keep it short since I'm not good with these things, but I'm really grateful that this project managed to endure for so long and see its way through to the end in spite of all the stops and starts, lulls in activity, etc, and while there are plenty of changes I'd make to the roster if I had full control, I'm still really proud of what we achieved as a group. Thanks.

Now, let's finish up our Lupin content, and after that, we should probably be done:

Job #294: Submit a moveset for Lupin

Job #295: Submit a Lupin III stage

We'll start off with these two. I don't have much to say, just, have fun submitting!

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Damn it!, Miku lost by a phamtom thief, but i can't blame Tonygamerman, he cooked very well
Why, thanks a lot. It was nice knowing you all those three years and nearly that amount of months. (not that I'm leaving the thread or anything, as it'll probably get closed after missed DLC movesets from a opening post are done)

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
1_khO0PRzyMug8jtpqLyOtjQ.jpg

Castle of Cagliostro
a long stage. There is the clock tower and the bridge, with the bottom of the castle and the castle itself being in the background. the bridge acts as a middle part, who the castle on the right and the clock tower on the left. The clock will open and you can go inside

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 295: Hida Speedway

1720478978457.png

In the first ever episode of Lupin III, Lupin participates in a race put on by Mister X in order to win a great prize. It is a trap meant to capture and kill the great thief, but he of course prevails.

This race would come back in a big way in the 50th Anniversary OVA Is Lupin Still Burning?, and it's this that I'm basing my stage submission on.

In the OVA, Lupin goes to a new race held by Mister X. However, once it starts, he is zapped by a time machine belonging to Kyosuke Mamo, turning this frantic car race into one through the eras of Lupin, indicated by his jacket changing color, faces from his past showing up, and even a trip through dinosaur times.

vlcsnap-2024-07-08-19h11m03s771.jpg

This is Lupin's Fiat 500 as seen in Is Lupin Still Burning. I see this level as a tribute to all the great car chases in the Lupin series, including this one. It will take place on top of Lupin's Fiat as it speeds forward, with other race cars gaining on him to create platforms on either side, including sometimes a cop car driven by Zenigata. Goemon, Jigen, and Fujiko all drive the Fiat at different times, cycling as appropriate, fighting over the wheel. Even Rebecca Rosselini and Ami Enan get in the cameo action as fellow drivers! As the race goes on, the cars are zapped by Mamo's Time Machine, taking the combatants to various points in Lupin's history, such as...

The car chase from The Castle of Cagliostro...
1720479464669.jpeg

Italy, as seen in Part 4...
1720480100571.png

Brazil, from Part 2...
1720480526261.png

The waterway in The Mystery of Mamo...
1720480627652.png

The pyramid from the Sega Saturn game Pyramid no Kenja...
1720480975669.png

And maybe more! The way I see it, it cycles through situations representing the various eras of Lupin, going through famous chases and enough recognizable locations (though none that would necessarily override someone else's submission of something more specific) until it loops back to the classic original Hida Speedway and the cycle begins anew.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, sorry for the wait, let's get to the vote

We have:

Castle of Cagliostro ( D darkvortex )
Hida Speedway ( Flyboy Flyboy )

Here's the poll:

As well, we're gonna do the next job:

Job #296: Submit a Lupin III assist

Exactly what it says on the tin - you may put forward anyone from Lupin's storied cast. Have fun!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #296 Inspector Zenigata
dvd_snapshot_00.47.54_[2017.11.14_21.15.55].jpg

The famous detective whose entire motivation in life is to do one thing and one thing only, capture and arrest Lupin. Upon sending out he'll use his gun to shoot opponents and throw handcuffs. Getting caught in Zeni's handcuffs will restrict your movements, you can run and jump but you wont be able to attack at all for a short period of time. You can also break the restraints by tapping any attack button.
1721965306887.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom