• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Final Fantasy Battles - a New Final Fantasy Fighter

How big should our roster be?

Votes: 4 66.7%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Final Fantasy has a long history of crossovers. From mobile games to chibi RPG's to most famously, the Dissida seires of crossover fighters. After the mixed reception to the last Dissida game, the series has seemingly been put on ice.

But in our current crososover loving environment, and with how well the FF franchise has been doing as a whole lately it only makes sense to make a game with such an iconic cast of characters.

This game will be taking more from the Smash Bros series, mostly because I think those threads tend to do the best and also are the most fun to work on.

Content from all 15 (soon to be 16) mainline games, their sequals, spin offs, and any weird side games will be available to us. Other Square Franchises may appear, though the focus will be on FF.

Characters (13/40):
Warrior of Light
Garland
Cecil Harvey
Gilgamesh
Terra Branford
Cloud Strife
Tifa Lockheart
Sephiroth
Vivi Ornitier
Tidus
Yuna
Auron
Lightning
Ramza

Stages:
Cornelia
Airship
Opera House
Midgar
Northern Cave
Golden Saucer
Belvelle
Rabansatre

Items:
Phoenix Down
Magic Flasks
Potions

Movesets:
TBA

Gameplay:
TBA

Summons:
Shiva
Bahamut
Siren

Our first jobs will go up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Job 1:
How should movesets work?
We need to establish this before we add any characters. How should movesets and gamely work? If you want it to just play like Smash then say so. Though personally I think we should make it stand out. What are the moves, how does magic factor in, any RPG mechanics?

Job 2:
How big should the roster be?
How big should our roster be? Throw out a number and why. Only rule I'll say is no more than 60 and no less than 15. Remember FF is a huge series with a lot of characters, but we still want this to be balanced.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Job 1: I’ll just nominate for Ultimate’s formula with back inputs and custom moves added.

Job 2: 40 feels fine (if we wanted, we would get a main protagonist and antagonist for each mainline game plus a few others like Tifa and Ramza)

Oddball

Smash Lord
There are 16 "main" Final Fantasy games (counting the not-yet-released FF16.) If we go with a 60 man roster that will give us almost (but not quite) four characters per game. Granted I don't think every game deserves four character, but that let's us plug the empty spots with spin-off characters and maybe even guest stars.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 1

Ultimate style for A attacks but specials is when things get fun

Every character would have a limit meter and it functions similarly to cloud in ult only there is a dedicated button for charging instead of it taking up a special. All limit break attacks would also KO after 100%

Job 2

40 seems good

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job 1
Dissidia was pretty fun considering how bizarre it’s mechanics are but that’s what made it also hard to pick up. I think something that focuses on strategy but also making the controls somewhat easy to understand at the start. I do think we need both an Attack and a Magic type attack (or perhaps skill)

Job 2
35 characters as the series is 35 years old this year.

D

Deleted member

I'll submit 50 characters. Just throwing it out there.

Our character count will be a thread poll.

Here are our submissions for movesets.
Job 1: I’ll just nominate for Ultimate’s formula with back inputs and custom moves added.

Job 2: 40 feels fine (if we wanted, we would get a main protagonist and antagonist for each mainline game plus a few others like Tifa and Ramza)
Job 1

Ultimate style for A attacks but specials is when things get fun

Every character would have a limit meter and it functions similarly to cloud in ult only there is a dedicated button for charging instead of it taking up a special. All limit break attacks would also KO after 100%

Job 2

40 seems good
Job 1
Dissidia was pretty fun considering how bizarre it’s mechanics are but that’s what made it also hard to pick up. I think something that focuses on strategy but also making the controls somewhat easy to understand at the start. I do think we need both an Attack and a Magic type attack (or perhaps skill)

Job 2
35 characters as the series is 35 years old this year.
Vote for your favorite proposal!

I'm also going to start our next round. And it's the biggie.
Submit a character from a mainline game
Yep. Submit any character and explain who they are and why they should be chosen. No spin offs foe now. Only other rule is that they can't be from 7. We'll have time for Tifa, Arieth and Barret later but I wanna give some other games some love. I also ask that they be fairly popular. We'll have time for wacky and obscure picks later. I'm hoping to add a cooler of these depending on how many submissions we get.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Vivi Orniter (Final Fantasy IX)

C343826B-0A19-4961-A4CA-674A90BFB343.jpeg

Vivi is a major character and party member from Final Fantasy IX. He’s a young black mage from the town of Alexandria who gets wrapped up in the main party’s adventure after sneaking into a play and getting swept up in Princess Garnet’s attempted escape. During his adventure he has to come to terms with the dark realities of his origins and his identity.

Honestly you could argue that Zidane should be prioritized as the FF9 rep here since he’s The Protagonist, but I think Vivi’s just as worthy of getting out of the way as well. He’s an incredibly beloved character whose arc is lauded as one of the best written in Final Fantasy history. It also helps that the black mage is probably the most recognizable class in classic Final Fantasy, and while many opt to represent it with a Generic Black Mage, I’d rather we get an actual character with a defined personality to fill that role.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have no doubt that we will be adding the likes of Tidus, Cloud of Darkness, Noctis, and so on so I want to add a character that doesn’t really get mentioned but one of the FF games I loved dearly…

King Leo from My Life as a King

This was the perfect blend of RPG and simulation where you got to build up a fantastical town and populate people in it while sending adventurer’s to explore and do battle. Now, how could a King possibly fight? Leo would be rather unique as, along with summoning units to fight for him, he could also create buildings from the ground with each building doing some sort of effect aside from damaging opponents.

Voting for Cashregister

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We'll be having 40 characters!

Submissions will stay open for another day.

D

Deleted member

DFFNT_Squall_Leonhart_Render.png

Squall (Final Fantasy 8)

It is a well known fact that gunblades are the coolest weapons ever convinced. In all seriousness I think its good to get some of these obvious picks out of the way.

Voting for moveset proposals is still open. Fighter submissions will wrap up tonight.

D

Deleted member

Enough time is past that I gotta step in. I'll vote for Cashregister9. Meaning their moveset proposal is the one we're going with!

Voting time!

I’ll nominate Tidus from FFX
Vivi Orniter (Final Fantasy IX)

View attachment 348959

Vivi is a major character and party member from Final Fantasy IX. He’s a young black mage from the town of Alexandria who gets wrapped up in the main party’s adventure after sneaking into a play and getting swept up in Princess Garnet’s attempted escape. During his adventure he has to come to terms with the dark realities of his origins and his identity.

Honestly you could argue that Zidane should be prioritized as the FF9 rep here since he’s The Protagonist, but I think Vivi’s just as worthy of getting out of the way as well. He’s an incredibly beloved character whose arc is lauded as one of the best written in Final Fantasy history. It also helps that the black mage is probably the most recognizable class in classic Final Fantasy, and while many opt to represent it with a Generic Black Mage, I’d rather we get an actual character with a defined personality to fill that role.
I have no doubt that we will be adding the likes of Tidus, Cloud of Darkness, Noctis, and so on so I want to add a character that doesn’t really get mentioned but one of the FF games I loved dearly…

King Leo from My Life as a King

This was the perfect blend of RPG and simulation where you got to build up a fantastical town and populate people in it while sending adventurer’s to explore and do battle. Now, how could a King possibly fight? Leo would be rather unique as, along with summoning units to fight for him, he could also create buildings from the ground with each building doing some sort of effect aside from damaging opponents.

Voting for Cashregister
A Chocobo
View attachment 348997

Chocobos have been in the Final Fantasy series ever since the 2nd game and are often seen as the mascot of the series.
They've been summons, NPCs, rides, enemies, and even party members.

Few characters scream "FINAL FANTASY" as much as the Chocobo.
Terra (Final Fantasy VI)

An iconic FF character from an iconic game.

She uses magic and a sword
View attachment 349182
Squall (Final Fantasy 8)

It is a well known fact that gunblades are the coolest weapons ever convinced. In all seriousness I think its good to get some of these obvious picks out of the way.

Voting for moveset proposals is still open. Fighter submissions will wrap up tonight.
In text form
Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - Pupp135 Pupp135
Vivi Orniter (Final Fantasy IX) - OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
King Leo (My Life as a King) - Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Chocobo (General) - Oddball Oddball
Terra - cashregister9 cashregister9
Squall (Final Fantasy VII) - Me

Voting process is the same as most other creation threads. Vote for your top three. Your own can't be in first, only second or third. Giving reasons for your picks would be appreciated but is not required. Remember we're still early on so pick you think makes sense.

My own votes

1. Terra
2. Vivi
3. Tidus

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1. Tidus
2. King Leo (I know we will add all of these important protags so I want to give some minor protags a shot for once)
3. Vivi

D

Deleted member

Tidus - 8
Vivi - 9
Leo - 2
Chocobo - 1
Terra - 13
Squall - 3

I wanna get things rolling so we'll be adding the top three. Tidus, Terra and Vivi are in!

Here are our next two jobs.
Submit a stage based on Final Fantasy VI, IX or X
Submit a stage based on one of the games we just added. We'll be going back to give the WOL a home stage soon but I wanna focus on our newcomers right now. You can submit for just one or one for each

Submit a name for this game!
game needs a name. It's up to you if you wanna include Dissida in the tittle or if you think this would be better as a new ip. Final fantasy must be in the name though.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Opera House (FF6)
See the source image

There is the stage on the bottom which is the main place you fight but there are also a series of wooden boards above which you can jump up onto.
See the source image

And for the title I'll submit Final Fantasy Battles. A pretty simple name, I wanted this to be it's own separate thing from Dissidia and I like the sound of the name

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Im unsure of a name, but I’ll nominate Belvelle.

I’d make this map a traveling map where you start at the Belvelle Palace and then move to other areas such as the Highbridge, Belvelle Temple, and Via Purifico.

D

Deleted member

The Opera House and Belvelle are our next stages. Submissions are still open if anyone wants to submit an IX stage.

Our submissions for title are:
Final Fantasy Battles - Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
FInal Fantasy: Crystal Clash - me
Fatal Fantasy - Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
Vote for your favorite.

Next jobs:
Submit a gameplay mechanic
Yep. Submit a mechanic. This can be borrowed form Smash, another plat fighter, another fighter in general, or original.

Discussion:
Should we have items?
Should we have items? There are options to pull from, but some may feel them unnecessary. I wanna ask before I commit.

How should Summons be handled?
Summons are a big part of FF and i feel they need to be here somehow. However Midgar already has a Summon mechanic. I feel like having orety stage have that would be kinda lame. Should we remove it from Midgar, should Summons be an item? Keep in mind there is always the potential to add a summoner character such as Yuna later.

Some more technical jobs. I'll make up for this by doing a character job next.

Janx_uwu

Smash Master
Writing Team
Gameplay mechanic would be like Hero's Mana meter, but all characters have it.

Yes on items, I can't imagine a FF fighter without Hi-Potions, Phoenix Downs, or Chocobo Whistles.

Summons are a three-part item like Daybreak, work like Boss Spheres in the Infinite thread, and are removed from being in Midgar as a stage element. Though I also wouldn't mind if they were like selectable Final Smashes that you decided on before the match.

Also, self-voting for Fatal Fantasy.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Gameplay mechanic

Everyone has a Limit meter that makes their specials and final smash more powerful once fully charged.

Yes to items

Summons could be selected before a match and can be activated through a button or button combo

Voting for Final Fantasy Battles

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
I’ll self vote for Final Fantasy Battles.

I like the idea of summons being selectable before the match and pretty much acting like a weaker final smash that you can only use once or twice per match.

D

Deleted member

We'll be including items!

Our game will be called "Final Fantasy Battles."

Vote on our gameplay mechanic and how summons will work.

capsule_616x353 (1).jpg

Submit a NES Character
Submit a character from a classic NES final fantasy. 1, 2 or 3. Characters who are classes will be allowed. Get creative.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
I’ll go with Onion Knight, which was the default class for III characters, and an Onion Knight is the FFIII character primarily used in Dissidia

First and fourth Onion Knight battle sprite (Famicom).

D

Deleted member

Garland
The main villain in the original Final Fantasy. It would be good to get some more villians, and I always felt this guy was really cool. We don't have any big heavies on the roster. He would be a hard hitting force of nature, using his sword and dark magic.

Could I ask people to please vote on the two polls in our last round post? We haven't had any votes yet.

Fighter submissions will stay open till tomorrow night.

Janx_uwu

Smash Master
Writing Team
White Mage HOLY **** WHITE MAGE BALLIN'?!

White Mage is a recurring class in the Final Fantasy series who made their debut appearance in the first game in the series. They would use their Mario Hoops design in FF Battles, but would have a male alt based on said Mario Hoops design. They would fight up close with a mystical staff, but could get away quickly when overwhelmed, like a less annoying Sonic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom