• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash World Forum's Smash4 Ideal Roster (Current topic: Super Mario)

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
More than half of the roster comprised by Mario characters, then?
Well at least everyone would know who they :). Not that much but having only 5 or so seems small for such a HUGE franchise, especially since most of the Mario characters are burgeoning out into their own successful franchises: Luigi Mansion, Yoshi Story/Island, Warioware, Donkey Kong Country, etc.

People on here saying Paper Mario doesn't deserve a rep but Golden Sun or Sin and Punishment do?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mario is the face of Nintendo and even Mario Spinoffs sell far more games then most other main series for other Nintendo franchises. I say Mario series can never have enough representation.
I think it'd be fine if Mario had more representation that the series did in Brawl, but "never enough" is debatable. There gets to be a point where it'd make more sense to just have a Mario Smash spin-off.

The most recent Mario Kart Wii likely sold twice as much as all the Golden Sun titles combined for example.
A bit of an understatement, considering MK Wii by itself sold better than every Nintendo series other than Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, and Wii.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well at least everyone would know who they :). Not that much but having only 5 or so seems small for such a HUGE franchise, especially since most of the Mario characters are burgeoning out into their own successful franchises: Luigi Mansion, Yoshi Story/Island, Warioware, Donkey Kong Country, etc.

People on here saying Paper Mario doesn't deserve a rep but Golden Sun or Sin and Punishment do?
Perhaps, what people want is variety.

If the roster had too much Mario characters, it would seem less like a Nintendo All-Star game and more like a Mario spin-off.

And part of Smash's charm is getting to know about characters we never heard of before, but of course, that's subjective.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mario is the face of Nintendo and even Mario Spinoffs sell far more games then most other main series for other Nintendo franchises. I say Mario series can never have enough representation.

The most recent Mario Kart Wii likely sold twice as much as all the Golden Sun titles combined for example.
I guess it can be called Super Mario Bros. 4 :troll:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Mario series is heavily underrepresented in Smash Brothers. Really DK series is its own series but even if you include it, that is 8 characters, we had 7 in Melee. Without DK series then we pretty much traded Dr. Mario for Wario between the two games.

We already have variety with the current roster and I think we get Little Mac and perhaps a Golden Sun character for the next game but I don't expect it to mostly be new series as everyone here expects.

Mario is by far the biggest gaming franchise. I would be alright with 10 Mario characters in the game. Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, Daisy, Rosalina, Paper Mario, etc. all have multiple appearances in very successful games.

Also getting back on topic, DK series is highly underrepresented as well. How does Kirby and Star Fox have 3 characters and mother have 2 characters and DK series only have 2?

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Also getting back on topic, DK series is highly underrepresented as well. How does Kirby and Star Fox have 3 characters and mother have 2 characters and DK series only have 2?
Simple:
Kirby- Because of Sakurai.
Earthbound- Clones
Star Fox- More clones

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You're all going to regret the decision you forgot Dixie Kong when she appears in Smash 4.
Yes, because when SSB4 comes out, and provided that Dixie is playable, I will definitely look back and say, "Man, I should have voted for Dixie on our group roster thing from a year ago..." Nope. I'd be busy playing the hell out of Smash 4.

I would enjoy Dixie very much, and call me stubborn, but seeing as how the DK series has been given seemingly a shaft as far as playable characters (although there are always a lot of stages), I really have my doubt over two DK newcomers, as deserving as both Dixie and K. Rool are.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yes, because when SSB4 comes out, and provided that Dixie is playable, I will definitely look back and say, "Man, I should have voted for Dixie on out group roster thing from a year ago..."

I would enjoy Dixie very much, and call me stubborn, but seeing as how the DK series has been given seemingly a shaft as far as playable characters (although there are always a lot of stages), I really have my doubt over two DK newcomers, as deserving as both Dixie and K. Rool are.
Yeah this is suppose to be a predicted roster, but I'm just helping.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Unless Sakurai specifies his inclusion very well, it's still bad.
His return will advertise the return of donkey kong Jr. cereal. The best ape'n cereal around.
All his specials will be throwing boxes of cereal. It'll be great. You'll regret not predicting it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Regardless of what BluePikmin says, I do find it rather crazy you PREDICT King K. Rool and not Dixie despite Dixie actually being planned for Brawl and knowing Sakurai likes to add things he had planned for past games.

It baffles me.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
NOOOOO I missed yoshi! is it too late to suggest kamek?

so anyways DK:
DK,
DK,
KR,
DK.
(the DKs are donkey, diddy and dixie.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Regardless of what BluePikmin says, I do find it rather crazy you PREDICT King K. Rool and not Dixie despite Dixie actually being planned for Brawl and knowing Sakurai likes to add things he had planned for past games.

It baffles me.

Like I said, it's more of a gut feeling than anything at this point. Dixie definitely deserves it, and I'd like to see her, but I just have doubts. Especially considering that while planned for Brawl, it was as a duo character for Diddy. It all rides on whether Sakurai saw Dixie as a worthy character in her own right, which no doubt she is, or just saw her as a cheap gimmick for Diddy.

But eh, to each his own.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I seriously doubt he looked at Diddy / Dixie as some sort of Popo / Nana situation, but with Popo being somehow more important in this case. They've always been shown as seperate characters in the trophies, and Popo / Nana haven't. I don't think their nearly as stuck together of a duo in Sakurai's mind. It was probably just a cool gimmick he was trying to add. (Like the Pokemon Trainer and ZSS gimmick)

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Well meowth was allegedly planned and still missing.

She was supposed to be in a duo with diddy, and it didn't end up happening.
For whatever reason, she also didn't make it solo in the game. Yeah they could add her, but most people are only predicting one new rep. More people would rather see K. Rool, and more villains in general.

Plus we didn't even get diddy till brawl.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
You didn't read his post, he said if only Donkey Kong Jr. is added to Smash, but not Dixie and K. Rool.
I don't mind Donkey Kong Jr. being in the game, As long as the remaining DKC reps are added.
I did. The point is that you still think Goku has more than a 0.0003 chance of getting in, as well as not ruining Nintendo.

But on topic,
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

I'd like Cranky, but he's better off as an Assist Trophy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It baffles me.
Just because Sakurai had it planned (with Diddy btw) doesn't mean she's guaranteed to show up again. Or guaranteed to show up in the next iteration. But because DK usually gets the shaft and because K. Rool probably will get priority, that's why I'm at least predicting Dixie won't be included. Sure she might, but I think chances are we'll get K. Rool and be done with it tbh.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well meowth was allegedly planned and still missing.
Allegedly is the key word.

She was supposed to be in a duo with diddy, and it didn't end up happening.
For whatever reason, she also didn't make it solo in the game. Yeah they could add her, but most people are only predicting one new rep. More people would rather see K. Rool, and more villains in general.
So you take general popularity over Sakurai's own actions?

Ju K. Rool probably will get priority, that's why I'm at least predicting Dixie won't be included. Sure she might, but I think chances are we'll get K. Rool and be done with it tbh.
How does K. Rool have priority? That makes no sense. Is it like how Ridley should have had priority in Brawl because he was so popular?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I seriously doubt he looked at Diddy / Dixie as some sort of Popo / Nana situation, but with Popo being somehow more important in this case. They've always been shown as seperate characters in the trophies, and Popo / Nana haven't. I don't think their nearly as stuck together of a duo in Sakurai's mind. It was probably just a cool gimmick he was trying to add. (Like the Pokemon Trainer and ZSS gimmick)
Well Popo is basically the same as Nana, they both do the same thing (Like hammering) if you play Ice Climber, that's why they are a duo in Smash for uniqueness.

Also Fastblade, let go of you inner Smash Bros soul, it's growing over you.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai also scrapped a character twice in favor of ones not planned the first time around as well. We have no proof Sakurai actually made any strives to continue with Dixie once the tag-team mechanic didn't work. Also by this logic we should be receiving the whole Forbidden 7 in the next game.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Also Fastblade, let go of you inner Smash Bros soul, it's growing over you.
Try telling that to Habanero. Actually, don't even step inside the 'main' thread.

Besides, I main Link. I don't give a damn about character viability and blah blah blah, but I know a lot of people do.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai also scrapped a character twice in favor of ones not planned the first time around as well. We have no proof Sakurai actually made any strives to continue with Dixie once the tag-team mechanic didn't work. Also by this logic we should be receiving the whole Forbidden 7 in the next game.
And who's to say we won't? We got Wolf, we got Mewtwo (for a time) We got PT, We got Meta Knight, We got Dedede, We got Wario. We got Bowser. We've managed to get a decent amount of characters who had some sort of past planning out already.

I really don't see how you can justify K. Rool having priority simply because he's so wanted. If Ridley Pre-Brawl is any proof, popularity doesn't mean all that much.

But I guess it doesn't matter really, no one will change their votes I'm sure.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this means anything, but Meta-Knight's victory file did come before King Dedede's in Brawl and Dedede was planned since 64. There's also unconfirmed evidence (the one cednym posted back in April, 2012) that Dedede was planned in Melee as well. If the Dedede being planned in Melee rumor is true and if the victory file placement is any indication, then it would show that despite Sakurai holding off of Meta-Knight in Melee due to fear of over-representation, that somehow Meta-Knight got priority over King Dedede for inclusion.

Just wanted to give some food for thought.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Allegedly is the key word.

He actually made story mode a priority last time...no matter how awful and boring it was.
Story mode I assume will be back, and the cast in most peoples opinion needs villains. I'm sure the same old rally up all the heroes could work again and the few villains, but it lacks conflict.

K. rool, is one of the better options. Plus who knows what input the tekken team is putting in. I know its a possibility along with the rest of the forbidden 7 making it, but my opinion is we will only get one donkey kong rep.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How does K. Rool have priority? That makes no sense. Is it like how Ridley should have had priority in Brawl because he was so popular?
I think K. Rool will get priority as the first DK newcomer planned to be added because yes, he is the most popular remaining DK character, and basically the other reasons people think K. Rool is as likely as he is. Just because a character was planned to be included at one point doesn't mean they automatically get first shot at being included in every subsequent game. That makes no sense. Sure, it might cause them to be considered down the line, even make it in, but just because they were planned at one point doesn't mean they will necessarily be planned to be added above more popular, more important characters in the future.

And Ridley, in a way, did have priority for Brawl. Sakurai didn't think he was playable material back then, but he was obviously given priority above other Metroid characters as he was both planned as an AT and made a boss twice. Now that Sakurai's opinion seems to be a little more flexible, Ridley probably will be given priority above many other characters, certainly above characters in his series.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't see how people count Donkey Kong as a Mario rep. They originated in the exact same game. They were the co main characters of that game so either neither is a spin-off series or both are a spin-off of the Mario vs DK series. Spin-off series like the sports, racing and party games are the only things tying them together still. You won't see DK in a New Super Mario bros game, that's for sure. Likewise, you won't see Mario in a Donkey Kong Country game.
When you look at brawl, we basically traded Doc for Wario who dual reps his and the Mario series. Mario(Yoshi, Wario) is not even 1/6 of brawl's roster and even if you count Mario related characters(8/39) than they are still only about 1/5 of the characters. Mario could easily get 2 more reps IMO.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wish I had seen and joined this group roster from the start, but oh well, just another Bowser Jr. vote wouldn't have changed anything.

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

The above are my predictions for now. The moment a new Sakurai interview convinces me that, no, he's not sacrificing character count to take the game in "a new direction" is the moment I add Dixie to those three. As it stands now, however, Luigified clones seem more of a longshot if "the limit of feasibility" has been reached, and the inevitable popularity boost Dixie will gain upon K. Rool's confirmation will still be too late to warrant the expansion of a conservative roster.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am strongly betting on DK, Diddy, and K. Rool. Right now I feel Dixie's chances are 50/50. It could easily go either way, and her primary advantage is that Sakurai has at least put some thought into how Dixie Kong would move and attack in Smash Bros.

Don't count this as a vote, as I am quite uncertain as to whether or not Dixie Kong will get in, though I think its likely K. Rool is going to be in.

D

Deleted member

I wish I had seen and joined this group roster from the start, but oh well, just another Bowser Jr. vote wouldn't have changed anything.

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

The above are my predictions for now. The moment a new Sakurai interview convinces me that, no, he's not sacrificing character count to take the game in "a new direction" is the moment I add Dixie to those three. As it stands now, however, Luigified clones seem more of a longshot if "the limit of feasibility" has been reached, and the inevitable popularity boost Dixie will gain upon K. Rool's confirmation will still be too late to warrant the expansion of a conservative roster.
I don't think Sakurai stated anything about Brawl's roster being the limit. I think what Sakurai was stating was that Smash 4's roster was probably the limit of the roster. What the limit will be is unknown until the games comes out, but I don't think he was referring to Brawl's roster as the limit.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't think Brawl's roster count will be the limit either, since just 39 characters would be a massive letdown. That said, until further notice, I'm taking Sakurai's word about pursuing a change of direction from character additions. If he comes out and says something akin to "this game will have more content than you can imagine," I'd start forecasting a larger roster, likely with Dixie added.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Alright, so we have our first newcomer officially

Donkey Kong 100%
Diddy Kong 100%
Dixie Kong 39%
King K. Rool 100%
Donkey Kong Jr 4%
Lanky Kong 4%
Kiddie Kong 4%

As of now, we're gonna talk The Legend Of Zelda. It will be interesting to see what you guys think about THIS series. Over at Wiichat their first newcomer prediction was Toon Zelda.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf