• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash World Forum's Smash4 Ideal Roster (Current topic: Super Mario)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Geno will be left for Third Party discussion, and really like those two movesets for Paper Mario. If someone brings one of their own Toad movesets forward we can compare them, and see who would be better for Smash. Because they're all on pretty even playing ground at this point in terms of qualifications.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Not sure if Paper Mario is actually a part of the Super franchise, oh wait he was in Super Paper Mario for the Wii which was more of a platforming adventure than previous Paper Marios.
ALL MY VOTES FOR PAPER MARIO!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey girls, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to keep this thing moving. I'm going out tonight, otherwise I'd be here to reply. So don't think I've forgotten about this!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ideal Roster for Mario series (including Yoshi/Wario):

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Dr. Mario
Waluigi
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Yoshi
Wario
Toad
Paper Mario
Fawful
Koopalings (maybe hard to implement but you can pick one and they all are alt costumes of each other but each has one move different like Lemmy riding the ball). If you had to go with just one, I say Ludwig, Wendy, or Lemmy.

Geno (Not a big fan of him but I feel for his fanbase and would want him in).

I am a big Mario series fan and I think it is under represented. Perhaps not this many characters but I would have it up there. Plus we get most of the Mario party/sports characters.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Since this is an ideal roster, we can suggest characters that have no chance but are awesome. All of us but volbound have stuck to realistic picks. While I can't think of any good nonrealistic ones for Mario, I think it would be better if we suggested some, since there's always lots of great characters that aren't serious possibilities, and it would make the ideal roster more fresh and distinct.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I'll go with Paper Mario. I don't think he's as likely as bowser jr, or waluigi.
But I like his 2D and folding aspects.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I kind of want to go back and add Toad and Paper Mario. I will do an edit. Kamek sounds nice but I just don't see how he would even work in Smash.

Crap forgot I had a previous post. Sorry about Double post Mario and Sonic.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Here's my moveset for Paper Mario along with my idea for him. I also nominate Paper Mario and Jr

Bv: His Down B let's you switch between the great Koops, Goombario, and Bobbery! It's actually interesting how they work, considering they fight alongside you but act as CPU's, making quite their own splash of attacks. Be warned however, if one of them dies you won't get to be able to switch again until you get a stock off yourself!

B: Hammer - You'll be able to use his legendary hammer! Be careful, though.

B>: You'll be able to use whichever one you casted. As Koops, you can use his shell toss (Sometimes it'll be larger and cast different effects), as Goombario you can tattle on the enemy, learning all the weak points, and have Goombario cast a homing jump on them. The bar will help you have a better idea to when you're much closer to ringing your opponent out. Finally, Bobbery will move to the direction you throw him at until you're ready to unleash and let him blow up. Be careful though, you don't want to hold for too long...

B^: You'll be able to go up using your famous jump and then turn into a plane. It's not that useful for jumping upwards, but almost nothing can stop you from making it back to the ledge sideways!

Final Smash: Stickerify. Tippi will come in along with Kersti and make the entire cast turn into Paper. You'll be able to peel them, instantly knocking them out.

His regular A moves depend on when his partner is close to him or not. The partners stay in range, so they're not totally chaotic CPU's, but what makes this character interesting is how they'll be able to traction with Paper Mario and act pretty interdependently. I need to work on how they're going to be controlled a bit more, and it is a bit chaotic and not the most sturdy moveset, but he's for sure innovative to Smash.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sweet, I really like THAT Paper Mario moveset. Does anyone have any other movesets? Remember: In order for the character to be added to the roster they must have a B moveset. So so far the candidates are Junior you Paper Mario.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
For fun her's my Nabbit Moveset:

Stats
Midweight character with decent speed and has similar traction as luigi
He can crawl, wall jump and cling to walls.

Neutral B - Nab Grab
his hand reaches forward then comes back. hitting an item it grabs it and Nabbit now hold the Item. If it hits an opponent it will deal a low amount of damage, and steal whatever item the opponent is holding if any. if the opponent isn't holding an item it will instead create throwable coins. Coin will disappear if they hit the ground. Has a small change of getting a Red, Blue or Star coin.

Side B - Mushroom Snatch:
Nabbit Dashes at high speed similar to fox's side special, but keep momentum. Like Nab Grab it also make Nabbit pick up items or steal from opponent.
If already holding an item when hitting one he drops the one he holding and pick up the new one.
Based on mario kart mushrooms

Up B - Gliding bag
Nabbit uses his bag similar to how the Cape item is used in Super Mario World. it give little vertical ditance. but starts a glide.

Down B - Boo Burglar
Turn invisible for about ten seconds, but it has 30 seconds cooldown.
If Nab Grab is used while invisible it will shoot out a boo instead of his hand. The boo is visible, but have higher power and knockback than a normal Nab Grab.
Based on Boos from Mario Kart

Final Smash - Unstoppable Thief
Nabbit Turn Temporary Invincible, And gain higher speed and strength.

His A attacks are quick and weak. He uses his bag as a weapon for his smash attacks. Has few attacks good at K.O.-ing. In general he's more of a hit and run character. His item stealing make him good for battles where items are on and against item using opponents (Link's bomb, Diddy's banana, etc.)

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Okay! Time for me to post my moveset. It'll kinda be a combination of all the movesets I've seen and personal ideas.

Nuetral Special: Fireball
Pressing B starts him charging and after he has charged he will glow slightly. For each level of charging he is able to produce another fireball(max 3.)that moves at a slightly different angle then the next time the b button is pressed. If you quickly press b twice you will shoot one fireball. Each fireball does 8% damage so a fully charged shot will do 24% damage and a semi charged will do 16%. The fireballs move horizontally and are about the same size as Samus's uncharged charge shot. When used it has a slight lag but moves much faster and has more range than mario's fireball. After being in the air they will plop down leaving a burning spot on the ground(2-3 secs)that does slight damage to whoever walks over it.You can dodge roll out of charging.

Side Special: Bill launcher
Bowser Jr. pulls out a personalized version of the bill blaster made into a rocket launcher. He shoots a single bullet bill that travels straight in the direction he's facing. The bullet bill act exactly like it did in the SSE. They have the same speed, health and atk strength and if hit and their health isn't completely depleated they will flinch but then continue on their trajectory. The one difference is that if reflected they don't go back to their normal flight direction and if reflected too many times or hits a wall it will explode. A hit from this does 15% damage and only 1 bb can be on screen at a time. Has the same lag as Snake's rocket launcher.

Down Special: Paint Trap
He pulls out his paintbrush and spins it in a circle as he drags it on the ground(cannot be used in the air). What is left is a puddle of paint 2 character lengths in size. The puddles stays for 5 seconds and you can have a maximum of 2 on screen at the same time. The puddles come out randomly in 3 colors.

Red- does fire damage to whoever steps on the puddle and last the entire 5 secs
Blue- shoots out a geisure to whoever steps on the puddle and shoots the opponent upward. This does 10% damage and has KO potential at high damage but the puddle will vanish after 1 use.
Green- traps the opponent in a guck that holds them for 2 seconds(excluding counter) in place. Opponents cannot use attacks while stuck.

Up Special: Koopa Clown Car
Junior pulls out the koopa clown car in a puff of smoke and rides it for 2 seconds and does a somersault out of it with the car vanishing in another smoke puff. He can ram opponents with it if they hit the front part of the car doing very minimal damage. Likewise opponents can destory his clown car it they attack it while in use.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach is probably enough representation for the Super Mario series, but Super Mario is only of of many sub-series in the Mario franchise. It would be nice to have a character representing another Mario sub-series - surely Paper Mario would be the best choice from that perspective. Apart from the Super Mario games (i.e. the main platformers - Super Mario Bros, 64, Galaxy, 3D Land etc) the Mario RPG games are the most popular, celebrated and highly rated games in the franchise and the biggest Mario RPG series is Paper Mario.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'd say Paper Mario or nobody. Mario has enough reps and this isn't a mario alstar game like the various mario sports games. The only way I see any character being justified as a playable character rather than an assist trophy is if they star in their own series.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
For fun her's my Nabbit Moveset:

Stats
Midweight character with decent speed and has similar traction as luigi
He can crawl, wall jump and cling to walls.

Neutral B - Nab Grab
his hand reaches forward then comes back. hitting an item it grabs it and Nabbit now hold the Item. if it hits. If it hits an opponent it will deal a low amount of damage, and steal whatever item the opponent is holding if any. if holding an item it only deals damage

Side B - Mushroom Snatch:
Nabbit Dashes at high speed similar to fox's side special, but keep momentum. Like Nab Grab it also make Nabbit pick up items or steal from opponent.
If already holding an item when hitting one he drops the one he holding and pick up the new one.
Based on mario kart mushrooms

Up B - Gliding bag
Nabbit uses his bag similar to how the Cape item is used in Super Mario World. it give little vertical ditance. but starts a glide.

Down B - Boo Burglar
Turn invisible for about ten seconds, but it has 30 seconds cooldown.
If Nab Grab is used while invisible it will shoot out a boo instead of his hand. The boo is visible, but have higher power and knockback than a normal Nab Grab.
Based on Boos from Mario Kart

Final Smash - Unstoppable Thief
Nabbit Turn Temporary Invincible, And gain higher speed and strength.

His A attacks are quick and weak. He uses his bag as a weapon for his smash attacks. Has few attacks good at K.O.-ing. In general he's more of a hit and run character. His item stealing make him good for battles where items are on and against item using opponents (Link's bomb, Diddy's banana, etc.)
I like this, but I feel he'd be overly good against item characters and bad against others. One way to balance out his matchups a little is to allow him to spawn items himself- for example, make it so that he can create throwable coins by lifting them off opponents. That way, his versatile item gameplay can be put to use in every match.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I like this, but I feel he'd be overly good against item characters and bad against others. One way to balance out his matchups a little is to allow him to spawn items himself- for example, make it so that he can create throwable coins by lifting them off opponents. That way, his versatile item gameplay can be put to use in every match.
I really like that coin idea. I think I'll add that effect to the Neutral B.
When you overly good do you mean overpowered (in need of a nerf) or do you just mean compared to when he's against people without items.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I really like that coin idea. I think I'll add that effect to the Neutral B.
When you overly good do you mean overpowered (in need of a nerf) or do you just mean compared to when he's against people without items.
Compared to when he's against itemless people.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can try to make a sort good B Moveset for Toad.

B: Spore Shot.

Simple enough, Toad takes Peach's old Neutral B while Peach uses some Vibe moves from SPP. Acts the same way.

Side B: Mushroom Bumper

Toad creates a bouncy Mushroom Bumper in front of him, referencing Mario Sports Mix. It acts as a smaller scale version of the Bumper item, pushing opponents away. Toad can jump on the bumper to gain additional height. However, this move can only be used on the ground.

Up B: Propeller Block

Toad pulls out a Propeller Block and goes upwards. On the descent, you can control how far horizontally you wish to go. This references Toad's position as the Mario games' "Item Master," as well as showcases an item that originates in the NSMB games, where Toads are once again playable.

Down B: POW Block

Again taking from Toad's position as the Item Master, Toad swiftly pulls a POW Block out of the ground and tosses it by pressing Down B again. If it hits the foe, or is in a position close to the foe, the foe takes 15% damage and is paralyzed for about a second. If they are in the air when it hits them, they will get a meteor-smash effect from it.

Final Smash: Toad Brigade

Toad gets the Smash Ball, and this theme is heard, striking fear into the hearts of even the manliest men. With that, their Toadship crashes onto the stage in a big old explosion, with Toads of various different colors coming out and creating a large spore cloud that causes anyone in range to take gradual damage, similar to that purple smog in the SSE. Eventually, the Toads repair the Toadship and fly away.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I question Bowser Jr's iconicness and importance to Nintendo as a whole. While he's definitely become a major player in the Mario series over the last few years, I still feel he's overshadowed by Bowser and the Koopalings. Toad's and Paper Mario's iconicness to Nintendo can't really be debated with the role Toad has played throughout the Mario series history (especially in the earlier titles) and the immense popularity of the Paper Mario series. For that reason I rule Bowser Jr. out as my ideal choice.

In terms of movesets I feel Paper Mario has much greater potential than Toad. There's nothing stopping Toad from having a great moveset if they're creative enough, but I think Paper Mario can do a lot more. Also if PM's being made of paper is use to his used to its fullest potential in his moveset and mechanics then he could be an extremely unique character literally unlike any other.

memememe

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario. He reps his own series and has way more potential to add to the gameplay balance than anyone else in the canon. Deserves it the most.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I question Bowser Jr's iconicness and importance to Nintendo as a whole. While he's definitely become a major player in the Mario series over the last few years, I still feel he's overshadowed by Bowser and the Koopalings. Toad's and Paper Mario's iconicness to Nintendo can't really be debated with the role Toad has played throughout the Mario series history (especially in the earlier titles) and the immense popularity of the Paper Mario series. For that reason I rule Bowser Jr. out as my ideal choice.

In terms of movesets I feel Paper Mario has much greater potential than Toad. There's nothing stopping Toad from having a great moveset if they're creative enough, but I think Paper Mario can do a lot more. Also if PM's being made of paper is use to his used to its fullest potential in his moveset and mechanics then he could be an extremely unique character literally unlike any other.

It isn't just the recent platformers, Bowser Jr. is also in all the party/sports games now so he is pretty much everywhere in Mario since his appearance in Sunshine.

He is definitely big in the Mario franchise.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It isn't just the recent platformers, Bowser Jr. is also in all the party/sports games now so he is pretty much everywhere in Mario since his appearance in Sunshine.

He is definitely big in the Mario franchise.
>not in MK7 (most recent spin off)
>not in NSMBU (most recent game)

hurp a derp. (I guess the same could really be said for the other characters, like waluigi, paper mario and geno)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
>not in MK7 (most recent spin off)
>not in NSMBU (most recent game)

hurp a derp. (I guess the same could really be said for the other characters, like waluigi, paper mario and geno)
I'm pretty sure he's in NSMBU.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Bowser Jr. is in:

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Super Mario Strikers
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Kart 3DS
Mario Sport Series
Both Mario Baseball games
Mario Power Tennis
Mario & Sonic London Olympics (I believe he is in them)

As well as Platformers:

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros
New Super Mario Bros Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii U

Am I leaving any out?

That is a lot of games and he has a major role in all of those platformers.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Bowser Jr. is in:

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Super Mario Strikers
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Kart 3DS
Mario Sport Series
Both Mario Baseball games
Mario Power Tennis
Mario & Sonic London Olympics (I believe he is in them)

As well as Platformers:

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros
New Super Mario Bros Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii U

Am I leaving any out?

That is a lot of games and he has a major role in all of those platformers.
I think you got them all. except some mario parties, some winter games, Fortune street Wii, and paper mario sticker star.

good for you.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This thread is not forgotten. I'll try and get back on topic sometime tonight. Right now we have Toad, Junior, Paper Mario, and Nabbit up for candidacy.

I'll gather the movesets and we can look through them, and pick your favorite fighter for Smash4!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This thread is not forgotten. I'll try and get back on topic sometime tonight. Right now we have Toad, Junior, Paper Mario, and Nabbit up for candidacy.

I'll gather the movesets and we can look through them, and pick your favorite fighter for Smash4!
WA.

peeup

Smash Lord
Don't have movesets, but I'm throwing my support hardcore behind Paper Mario and Bowser Jr.

Paper Mario has tons of potential. Thousand Year Door (and probably the others too, I haven't played em) have so many cool things in them that normal Mario never does and could never do. Also Paper Mario just oozes personality, far more than Mario does. He's got a fun art design, tons of potential for a weird moveset, and he's just a straight up fun character from an amazing game.

Junior would add another villain to the roster, which is a weak reason for induction, but it's a reason nonetheless. More legitimately, though, he offers sweet potential to be a kind of Luigified Bowser clone, except like on the opposite end of the spectrum, being super fast. Also, he could transform into Shadow Mario, allowing for an entirely new moveset, while also paying homage to Sunshine, beyond Mario's sucky FLUDD. Also, he did some dope ass **** in Galaxy, a game that certainly needs some sort of nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom