• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - January 31st

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
You cannot be more wrong. With all do respect, who are you too preach about this character in the competitive community? What top players have you held your own against that use lucario? How many tourneys have you won with him? What are your contributions? You're spouting nonsense about something you don't understand.

Lucario starts off with the worst damage output in the game, and it gradually grows with power. If you want to make ANYTHING happen with this character you need to learn how to hold onto your stock and live to high percents so that you're character can stay at his fullest for as long as possible. If you "play sloppy" you're going to get KO'd and your character won't be worth jack again.

In order to be even remotely good with lucario you have to have solid DI, careful spacing, and be patient so you can hold onto your stock at high percent for as long as possible. Lucario encourages these fundamentals, not hinders them.

If your arguing that theres no reason to stay in low aura, that's also wrong. Lucario has some of the longest combo's in brawl while he's at low percent, and can literally drag fatties from one edge to the next. Damage why's, they're nothing special, but this also teaches players the value of stage positioning. That's the true reward of his combos. His gimping ability is also a lot stronger at low percent thanks to the reduced knockback of his f-air. So he also teaches how to net early kills at low percent when your smashes just arn't enough.

On top of this as well, we have no clue how smash 4 mechanics will work. Maybe characters will have easier combos or set ups into kills, rendering his aura power up necessary. No one knows, and it's far too early to start speculating and screaming CHEAP as is.

My apologies if i'm coming off as rude, but i'm getting tired of you spouting misinformation about something you don't understand. If someones plays lucario bad that's the players fault. Lucario, more then any other character gets better depending on how good the players fundementals are. If there trash, there lucario will be trash just like any other character.
This is one of the most well said explanations that I've seen so far since I joined a few days ago.

Renji64

Smash Lord
This just makes me think smash 4 is gonna be brawl 2.0 so far seem lame gimmick for lucario if it all defensive like brawl i might as well not waste my money. P:M lucario is a good example how the aura system should had changed.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
This just makes me think smash 4 is gonna be brawl 2.0 so far seem lame gimmick for lucario if it all defensive like brawl i might as well not waste my money. P:M lucario is a good example how the aura system should had changed.
Yes it is the sequel to brawl

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
My interest in this game just went soaring...down.
Waste of a slot.
Oh grow up. Lucario deserves to be back after all the things people said against him.

Happy that my main is back! It's about time!

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Crap. Just crap. I am furious beyond words. Lucario was not a good inclusion in Brawl. His quirk actually rewarded you for getting punched around like a Sandbag. I'd rather have them remove the quirk or have them reward you for hitting people. The last thing I wanted them to do was make his quirk better. And now that this bumbling bag of sand got in, I'm severely worried about Mewtwo. I still think he has an extremely high chance of making it, but from what I can tell, the last characters you expect to be added are being added in this game. Oh, c'mon Mewtwo... if he doesn't make it then I'll be even angrier than the time Rosalina made it in.
Everyone rages that Rosalina made it in, but she might be the best addition to Smash 4. Her Luma is the first real puppet character in the series. Who cares that she has only been in the recent mario games. The concept of a badass galaxy creating princess who raises adorable stars from infancy is amazing. Raging because she "wasn't a part of Nintendo's history" is silly for the aforementioned reasons. Also, Lucario was far higher tier than Mewtwo, even amongst the much larger roster of Brawl, so calling him a sandbag is fairly unfounded. As far as Lucario's quirk goes, it is better than RNG like Luigi's misfire and Game and Watch's hammer. It also seems that there are plenty of spikes in the game (Mega Man has a ranged spike!), so it seems that he won't necessarily survive to percentages as high as those in Brawl, possibly negating any "buff" to aura in the first place.

branden4030

Smash Cadet
I hope the have lucario, mewtwo, and charizard (by himself) and the give them all the ability to mega evolve whenever durring the game. To balance it they should make there attacks stronger but they would be easier to be killed. And once they have died after use they died the first time they can no longer transform.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
but the real reason vBrawl Lucario is bad is because he is extremely over-reliant on the brawl aura system. Like the brawl aura mechanic is similar to the X factor, where the more you've been outplayed the more it helps you. That's a fine mechanic on its own, but having to rely on it for optimal results is terrible, because the most optimal performance from you character should be when you're never outplayed. But if vBrawl lucario is never outplayed he's extremely weak and can't combo or kill. This sucks..
This logic is flawed. If he is never outplayed he can easily kill, and if he is outplayed he is buffed. Either way you either 1. are so amazing that you can do well with a weak Lucario or 2. are hurt at some point and benefit from aura and your ability to survive at higher percents. There is never a situation when you are both never outplayed, but still weak enough to lose somehow.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I was not a fan of Luca-Ryu.
He's flashy as **** and neat to watch, but just not my style.
I also think that it is important to understand that P:M and the main series are different things and Sakurai feels the need to retain the original character's design so that it is familiar to Brawl players. The P:M devs, on the other hand, have the freedom to go crazy with their best ideas to make a character very exciting. The downfall is that you can't always main the same characters in P:M that you do for the official series, i.e. Olimar is entirely different character that plays an entirely different way in P:M. The same definitely holds true for ZSS, Wario, and MK.

Hulter

Smash Cadet
How is that dumb? His aura is builds when he is in a pinch, that means his power grows as a last ditch attempt to try and get a leg above and survive longer

Why is that stupid?
Because comebacks should be caused by improved performance by the player and becuase there are cleverer ways to give a player an advantage than forcing him to play sloppy and because it's a bad idea to reward people for playing poorly.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
You cannot be more wrong. With all do respect, who are you too preach about this character in the competitive community? What top players have you held your own against that use lucario? How many tourneys have you won with him? What are your contributions? You're spouting nonsense about something you don't understand.

Lucario starts off with the worst damage output in the game, and it gradually grows with power. If you want to make ANYTHING happen with this character you need to learn how to hold onto your stock and live to high percents so that you're character can stay at his fullest for as long as possible. If you "play sloppy" you're going to get KO'd and your character won't be worth jack again.

In order to be even remotely good with lucario you have to have solid DI, careful spacing, and be patient so you can hold onto your stock at high percent for as long as possible. Lucario encourages these fundamentals, not hinders them.

If your arguing that theres no reason to stay in low aura, that's also wrong. Lucario has some of the longest combo's in brawl while he's at low percent, and can literally drag fatties from one edge to the next. Damage wise, they're nothing special, but this also teaches players the value of stage positioning. That's the true reward of his combos. His gimping ability is also a lot stronger at low percent thanks to the reduced knockback of his f-air. So he also teaches how to net early kills at low percent when your smashes just arn't enough.

On top of this as well, we have no clue how smash 4 mechanics will work. Maybe characters will have easier combos or set ups into kills, rendering his aura power up necessary. No one knows, and it's far too early to start speculating and screaming CHEAP as is.

My apologies if i'm coming off as rude, but i'm getting tired of you spouting misinformation about something you don't understand. If someones plays lucario bad that's the players fault. Lucario, more than any other character gets better depending on how good the players fundementals are. If there trash, there lucario will be trash just like any other character.
Is there anyway I can link people back to this post? It's the best case for why Lucario's mechanics are interesting and don't necessarily reward defensive gameplay. I would use it all the way up until release probably.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Project M this, Project M that.
Is it a great mod? Yes.
But it's a MOD. M-O-D. A modification to an already existing game.
Even comparing Project M to ANY Smash Bros is insulting to Smash, considering that Smash Bros not only gives Project M the bases, but basically the game entirely.
I guess I'm just trying to say stop worshipping a mod and wishing that an actual game was more like said mod.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Project M this, Project M that.
Is it a great mod? Yes.
But it's a MOD. M-O-D. A modification to an already existing game.
Even comparing Project M to ANY Smash Bros is insulting to Smash, considering that Smash Bros not only gives Project M the bases, but basically the game entirely.
I guess I'm just trying to say stop worshipping a mod and wishing that an actual game was more like said mod.
The PMBR works incredibly hard, dedicating thousands of hours, to make a version of brawl that is superior in every facet of gameplay, variety, and aesthetics. Yes, it is a mod, but it's a mod that is executed with such a level of professionalism that the connotations of Mod barely apply or describe the game whatsoever. Thinking that we are ignorant of the fact that nintendo put a lot of effort into the brawl engine is ridiculous, but as the release of brawl clearly shows, the big N alienates and shuns it's most dedicated fans, a large reason the company is in the position it currently is in. The Project M mod, like the documentary, is a driving force behind the re-emergence and reunion of the smash community as a whole, and the community shows it's appreciation for the project appropriately, brawl however was the driving force of the near death of the smash scene and the base game along with the poor intent on nintendo's behalf in creating it is also appropriately disdained. From the very beginning the smash community has been about taking something that was never meant to be appreciated at the level that it currently is, it was about making smash our own, Project M and the competitive community is the purest embodiment of that sentiment. Saying PM is an insult to smash is just... ugh, F*ck you dude.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Project M is a separate entity. No need to say that it's a better Brawl because they weren't similar to begin with (Melee and P:M is closer considering it's based on Melee). In any case, Melee, Brawl, and P:M are worthy in their own right, but the hate on each other is ridiculous and petty.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Project M is a separate entity. No need to say that it's a better Brawl because they weren't similar to begin with (Melee and P:M is closer considering it's based on Melee). In any case, Melee, Brawl, and P:M are worthy in their own right, but the hate on each other is ridiculous and petty.
I really hope when smash 4 comes out the community won't be divided anymore then it already is. Haaaa....

Gune

Smash Lord
Because comebacks should be caused by improved performance by the player and becuase there are cleverer ways to give a player an advantage than forcing him to play sloppy and because it's a bad idea to reward people for playing poorly.
So your telling me you can fight against someone without getting damage and/or KO'd once right? I thought not, his mechanic encourages you to keep the fight going as long as possible the longer you fight the more it is in lucarios favor, not because your playing sloppy but because your fighting with skill so you dont die and waste your aura buff.

I swear do people who ***** about lucario's mechanic know anything about it or even appreciate how unique it is? smh

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think a compromise is in order. How about the aura system only working with damage and not stocks this way it rewards you for staying alive longer rather than rewarding you for being stocks behind. You could also make the aura curve occur quicker so that he becomes more a powerhouse before he gets in the 120% or more range to compensate.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
To those who complain about the Aura mechanic of Lucario, how many Lucarios have you seen winning a tournament?
Or being played competitively? Because is a character that outside of team battles it doents make much profitable use of that mechanic.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The PMBR works incredibly hard, dedicating thousands of hours, to make a version of brawl that is superior in every facet of gameplay, variety, and aesthetics. Yes, it is a mod, but it's a mod that is executed with such a level of professionalism that the connotations of Mod barely apply or describe the game whatsoever. Thinking that we are ignorant of the fact that nintendo put a lot of effort into the brawl engine is ridiculous, but as the release of brawl clearly shows, the big N alienates and shuns it's most dedicated fans, a large reason the company is in the position it currently is in. The Project M mod, like the documentary, is a driving force behind the re-emergence and reunion of the smash community as a whole, and the community shows it's appreciation for the project appropriately, brawl however was the driving force of the near death of the smash scene and the base game along with the poor intent on nintendo's behalf in creating it is also appropriately disdained. From the very beginning the smash community has been about taking something that was never meant to be appreciated at the level that it currently is, it was about making smash our own, Project M and the competitive community is the purest embodiment of that sentiment. Saying PM is an insult to smash is just... ugh, F*ck you dude.
Dude, I'm not trying to insult Project M, but saying that Smash Bros should take pointers from a mod gets on my nerves a little bit.
I LIKE Project M, I don't know if you heard me say that before, but it's a little over-glorified in my eyes. I don't have it downloaded, I've played it with friends, so if I get more time to spend with the game and discover all the new playstyles and such then I'm sure I'll have the same appreciation for it that you do.
But I will always love actual Smash Bros more than Project M.
When fans start insulting an actual Smash Bros game and wishing that it played more than Project M, that's what gets on my nerves.
And when did I ever say that PROJECT M was the insult? I never said those words in that way.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Dude, I'm not trying to insult Project M, but saying that Smash Bros should take pointers from a mod gets on my nerves a little bit.
I LIKE Project M, I don't know if you heard me say that before, but it's a little over-glorified in my eyes. I don't have it downloaded, I've played it with friends, so if I get more time to spend with the game and discover all the new playstyles and such then I'm sure I'll have the same appreciation for it that you do.
But I will always love actual Smash Bros more than Project M.
When fans start insulting an actual Smash Bros game and wishing that it played more than Project M, that's what gets on my nerves.
And when did I ever say that PROJECT M was the insult? I never said those words in that way.
Project M and Smash were both made by humans, you know. One just happens to have an official corporate logo stamped on it. The work put into P:M and Smash 4 are definitely comparable.

Frankly, it's a bit insulting even to Sakurai to blindly accept and appreciate whatever he puts out just because it's official Smash and official Nintendo. Brawl was enjoyed by many, myself included to an extent, but it fell hilariously short in a lot of way and that should be recognized and acknowledged. Brawl does not automatically warrant praise and love just because it's an official Smash title. Everyone is capable of making mistakes, Nintendo included (Hi, Wii U) and for their own good, such should be acknowledged, not ignored.

Also there's been a fair few mods more popular than their base games. Team Fortress comes to mind.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Project M and Smash were both made by humans, you know. One just happens to have an official corporate logo stamped on it. The work put into P:M and Smash 4 are definitely comparable.

Frankly, it's a bit insulting even to Sakurai to blindly accept and appreciate whatever he puts out just because it's official Smash and official Nintendo. Brawl was enjoyed by many, myself included to an extent, but it fell hilariously short in a lot of way and that should be recognized and acknowledged. Brawl does not automatically warrant praise and love just because it's an official Smash title. Everyone is capable of making mistakes, Nintendo included (Hi, Wii U) and for their own good, such should be acknowledged, not ignored.

Also there's been a fair few mods more popular than their base games. Team Fortress comes to mind.
But most things from project m were taken directly from brawl while sakuari and his team actually worked hard to create those, project m just takes it and edits it

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Even though I have respect for the creators of Project M and the game itself, even they would admit that the work put into Smash 4 is far greater than that of Project M. Smash 4 is being built from the ground up, and Sakurai is working himself to death on it.

I'm not blindly accepting Sakurai's decisions. I happen to love Lucario's playstyle, and I love Brawl. I understand that the "high risk high reward" playstyle is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy the concept. Brawl itself is a lot of fun, and I personally adore the game in every way. Is it perfect? No, Melee is better in many ways, but Brawl was an interesting change of pace and actually the first Smash Bros game that I've played. Although I am slowly becoming more competitive and leaning towards Melee as the superior title, I will always love Brawl, because it's pure FUN.

Project M is amazing, and a lot of fun as well, but I don't like when people put down Brawl in favor of it, complaining about Lucario's playstyle returning. I think you are all forgetting the fact that I did say that I like Project M, but when the fans say that it is better than Nintendo-created Smash Bros games, which I have a huge connection with, then I get somewhat defensive about it.

And wasn't Team Fortress a Half Life mod? Surely Half Life is more popular, even though Team Fortress became its own thing.

I'm sorry for the whole misunderstanding, I want everyone to know that I have absolutely nothing against Project M, unlike some others.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Ok first of all, that isn't rewarding them for playing poorly, if anything if they are playing bad then there is no way this effect would hold an candle to a player beating them. This isn't design for comebacks, it designed for good players who survive and take stocks away while no losing theirs and getting to higher percents.

There has NEVER been a time in which a Lucario player ever got a comeback from high percent and the reason is because he gets man handled if your playing bad and he is a floaty character. This is more of a reward to REAL players who last long with him, if you don't know how to play Lucario then don't talk about or talk stuff about him.

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
If people responded so negatively torwards Lucario's reveal, then it's not going to be fun seeing characters like Meta Knight, Ganondorf and Ice Climbers

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If people responded so negatively torwards Lucario's reveal, then it's not going to be fun seeing characters like Meta Knight, Ganondorf and Ice Climbers
But those were characters basically everyone thought would come back and wanted back, lucario not as much. I don't care either way since I got my main back :)

King Kazma

Smash Rookie
If Mewtwo does get confirmed later on, I can already start seeing the "Team Lucario" and "Team Mewtwo" on each side.

ness64

Smash Rookie
AHAHAHAHAHA
SUCK IT EVERYONE THAT THOUGHT HE WASN"T GONNA GET IN.
GET WRECKED

:lucario::lucario::lucario::lucario::lucario:

and yo, mewtwo peeps got nothing to worry about imo.
Sakurai always adds another pokemon character each year. I ain't exactly a fan em, but it'd be pretty rediculous if he didn't get in.
That's nice that Luke made it in, but I'm waiting for this:
:ness: :ness: :ness: :ness: :ness:

Top Bottom