• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - February 26th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Now consecutive standard attacks will always transition into a finishing move. This is Fox's finishing kick after his standard combo attack."

humist1

Smash Rookie
NNID
j22yosh
3DS FC
1650-1416-3926
No more A combo spam, great :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
InB4you'llgetakickoutofthispun

Maybe this is to stop characters from being pinned. InB4Dtiltspamwallpins

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
So - no more infinite-ish combos? I can dig it.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
For some reason I was expecting Sakurai to give us another Nintendogs pic, obviously disappointed.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
There's several ways to interpret the text here..

My guess is that if you strike with a jab, your character will automatically perform the next step of your jab combo. If you miss or hit shield, I sure hope you can stop.

Overall I think this is a good thing. Jab cancel into X tended to be more about doing guaranteed stuff than chasing DI. We lose a little bit from stuff like Tink's jab cancel into grab or jab, which is pretty interesting, but stuff like jabbing with luigi and hoping the DI is bad so you can shoryuken is more cheesy than it is depthy.

Ephecus

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how this change will affect characters like Meta Knight.

It's nice seeing a change though.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I'm pretty sure it just means that when you end your attack-flurry(aka release a), your character will do a finishing move.

It doesn't mean that those flurries are gone, it just means they have finishers

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
those finishers sound amazing because that was a problem with those multihit jabs was how they left you so vulnerable when using them.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
We need more updates like this. I wonder how Falco's will be. Autoshine would be a nice finisher.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
No more jab cancels? Interesting, wonder how this will affect the characters which had a really good jab game in Brawl.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
So does this mean that all characters will have a 2-3 hit neutral attack (like Mario), the rapid attack ends with another attack to knock them away, or that there's no more jab canceling? Oh well. I least we got more fox info.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One possibility is that the characters who possess the infinite combo attacks will follow with a finishing attack once the infinite combo performs a certain number of attacks.

Perhaps once the infinite combo does 7 attacks, that's when the finishing attack will be executed.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Well, they aren't gone yet because if you go look at the Sonic Trailer, Pikachu still does the head spam thing (however it was glitch as hell) But that was way beta footage

Louie G.

Smash Hero
One possibility is that the characters who possess the infinite combo attacks will follow with a finishing attack once the infinite combo performs a certain number of attacks.

Perhaps once the infinite combo does 7 attacks, that's when the finishing attack will be executed.
We saw something like this in Mac's trailer. After jabbing for a while he finished the opponent off with a powerful punch.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
those finishers sound amazing because that was a problem with those multihit jabs was how they left you so vulnerable when using them.
If the way that it works is, once you let go of jabbing, your character auto-finishes with a hard knockback, it'll leave you vulnerable anyways, because if they don't get caught in it, you're stuck there looking like an idiot waiting to finish which leaves you totally open

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We saw something like this in Mac's trailer. After jabbing for a while he finished the opponent off with a powerful punch.
Pretty much this. Perhaps the Little Mac trailer was implying something extra, but we didn't know about it until now.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Pretty much this. Perhaps the Little Mac trailer was implying something extra, but we didn't know about it until now.
The NA translation didn't do much justice to what the update was trying to say. In the japanese one, it states that Fox's 100 kick attack ends with a finishing move. The flurries of attack are still there, but they will no longer be infinite. A clear example is shown in the Little Mac trailer.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I knew the Smash Brothers Casual Community out numbers the competitive community but man I see why this game is developed the way it is. I was just on the Mii Verse with my Wii U and I was looking at this post. No one on there cared about this mechanic whatsoever, I was expecting some feedback about it but all people care about what characters they want to see revealed. They literally called this post usless information.......

So yea, there is a big difference here and the mii-verse. This mechanic is well welcomed in my opinion, I think this mechanic goes for characters who has infinite attacks, like meta-knight rapid A, Kirby rapid A, Fox rapid A, Falco Rapid A, Shieks Rapid A, and Captain Falcon rapid A. I am not much of a hardcore pro like most of you here but I don't think this should effect Jab Cancel right? I could be wrong though.

I really hope they made some good changes to Link, I really want that guy to shine in this game. Mario, Link, and Sonic has been revealed so far. Little Mac will be added to my main's list, and all I am waiting for is Ness to be revealed and I am satisfied with whatever character they release afterwards except for Ridley -___-

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm just crossing my fingers hoping there is no buffering in between the jab combos and other moves such as tilts and what not. That was so obnoxious in Brawl. You couldn't even make your combo because doing standard A would force you to continue the combo. I couldn't stand this because combos are fun and intuitive because in smash you create your own combos. It's one of the charms of the game. Simple, yet complex at the same time.

iHook

Smash Cadet
I just hope there is an extra input for this finisher move. I don't really like the sound of auto-combo

Also, it says "consecutive standard attacks" which to me means that a single jab is not changed. Could be wrong I suppose.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I knew the Smash Brothers Casual Community out numbers the competitive community but man I see why this game is developed the way it is. I was just on the Mii Verse with my Wii U and I was looking at this post. No one on there cared about this mechanic whatsoever, I was expecting some feedback about it but all people care about what characters they want to see revealed. They literally called this post usless information.......
Uh, are you joking? I just went on Miiverse, and the response is OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE!

Jiro
15 minutes ago
finally, I was tired of the endless consecutives attacks...

Phillip
14 minutes ago
Ah, I see. After reading the comments, I finally know what that means, and I agree. You're doing an awesome job! Keep it up!

Tyler
14 minutes ago
Dan it means that his kick wont go on forever it will end after a while of using it.

Kor-e
12 minutes ago
This should make it easier to transition from rapid attacks like C. Falcon's jabs into tilts and smashes. Brilliant!

ARog
9 minutes ago
Looks like you're actually improving the fighting mechanics! Keep it up!

ĄηĎγ
6 minutes ago
Awesome.

Dead Danny
5 minutes ago
Cool

Zakachu
5 minutes ago
also anyone who got stuck in rapid jabs even against a wall is bad.

Richie
4 minutes ago
That's a very welcomw change! I like it!

Max
2 minutes ago
The fighting mechcanics are improved! That was genius Sakuria-sama! Wish Ninten, Classic Link, Goemon, and Yae who are on SSB4 Wiki to be confirmed.

I only took out three irrelevant comments from that whole bunch, two of which were talking about Wombo Combo.
How about the first, like, 50 or so posts?

6 hours ago

Wow, neat!

Adrian
6 hours ago
Worth the wait!

kmpyj
6 hours ago
First

Nicky
6 hours ago
Ouah, great :)

David
6 hours ago
That's awesome!

sven
6 hours ago
Wow!

Cody †
6 hours ago
That's pretty cool, glad to see a major change.

Kleo
6 hours ago
Nice to know.

Digibutter
5 hours ago
We waited a long time...for THIS? Ah well, nice minor reveal I suppose.

Josh
5 hours ago
Woah, that's cool! Wonder how many characters have this?

Ping5 hours ago
slowly claps*

Mai
5 hours ago
This was not really worth an (almost) two hour wait...just no. It's a cool update but not suitable for today after making us wait this long.

☆Steven☆
5 hours ago
Worth the wait!

PauL
5 hours ago
Nice! I like this! :D

Mario
5 hours ago
LOL BEST DAY EVER

Sakumario
5 hours ago
...after all that publicity..WE GET THIS THATS WHAT SHE SAID!! ;_;

Graham
5 hours ago
That'll stop A-spammers!

Chris
5 hours ago
FINALLY!

Hayden
5 hours ago
Worth waiting for. Gameplay mechanics rule!!!

Here I only removed 5 irrelevant/unintelligible posts.
Bro, you have to be joking.

Last edited:

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
Ah, no wonder Little Mac went straight into an uppercut after his multi-punch move seen in the trailer. I'll have to notify Game Xplain.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463

So yea, there is a big difference here and the mii-verse. This mechanic is well welcomed in my opinion, I think this mechanic goes for characters who has infinite attacks, like meta-knight rapid A, Kirby rapid A, Fox rapid A, Falco Rapid A, Shieks Rapid A, and Captain Falcon rapid A. I am not much of a hardcore pro like most of you here but I don't think this should effect Jab Cancel right? I could be wrong though.

I really hope they made some good changes to Link, I really want that guy to shine in this game. Mario, Link, and Sonic has been revealed so far. Little Mac will be added to my main's list, and all I am waiting for is Ness to be revealed and I am satisfied with whatever character they release afterwards except for Ridley -___-
Yeah really, I could give less of a **** about Ridley. I DO want a new Pokemon character. Maybe Keldeo?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Wait lol, how are people assuming that you wont be able to jab-cancel or jab-reset... im sure every character will still be able to jab just one time, where it doesnt force you to Smash. I think he is just saying that it will be easier to transition in between them... sorta like jab-cancelling. If anything, this kinda confirms it.
I'm pretty sure it just means that when you end your attack-flurry(aka release a), your character will do a finishing move.

It doesn't mean that those flurries are gone, it just means they have finishers
I couldnt agree with this man more! Im sure the flurries will still be there, its why he showed Fox. Like I said before, its probably a lot like jab-cancelling where before the flurry happens you can smash out of it.
--
You guys are trying to confirm stuff that isnt even in the picture or the quote, just trying to sway things into the way you want them lol. Technically we can say anything now right? since for some reason we can think jab-cancelling is gone how about "OMG Sakurai!!!, This deconfirms tilts right?" :facepalm: lmao

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I like this change, getting caught in foxs kicks or pikachus headbutt was soo annoying. Love this change!

Zorc Of Norway

Smash Cadet
I think we can see exactly what this means in the Little Mac announcment trailer @ 1 16 - 1 22, where he goes jab > jab, then jab with consequtive hits and ends it with an uppercut.

Top Bottom