• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wars - Online Tournament POOLS ARE LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
<center>

</center>

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Pools will be going up TOMORROW. There will be new forums opened up strictly for this contest. In each region, there will be a thread with everyone's name and pool number, and a thread for each pool.

Once you know your pool number:

Post your Brawl friend code in your pool's thread. This is how you confirm your registration.

If you have not confirmed your registration by noon saturday (E/M time), you will be disqualified!

You can start playing matches as soon as pools are posted. But, judges and referees will not be active until noon saturday.

You have until 9pm Saturday to complete all of your matches. Any unfinished matches will count as a loss. We do have contingencies in place for people who have dropped, but please make sure you finish as many matches as possible. Otherwise, you may end up with penalties.

To celebrate the launch of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Smashboards and WiFi Wars are teaming up to offer gamers a huge online event. On March 29th and 30th (Saturday & Sunday), Smash Wars will give Smashers a chance to dominate the competition and battle to win prizes in the first-ever Smashboards-sanctioned event.

The Info:

Date & Times –

Pools
Saturday, March 29th
12pm Eastern/Mountain (based on region) – 9pm Eastern/Mountain

Brackets
Sunday, March 30th
1pm Eastern/Mountain (based on region) – 7pm Eastern/Mountain

Rules –
The March 29 date means we have time to be completely sure of our ruleset, via testing. Full rules will be announced on Wednesday, March 19th.

Friend Codes & Check-in Time –

Friend Codes will be posted during the pre-tournament check-in by players. Check-ins will begin one hour prior to the start of the event and will end ten minutes past the start time. Players that fail to check in during this time frame will be disqualified. The friend code must be posted by the same smashboards account used to register for the event or the player will be disqualified.

More detailed instructions will be posted along with the ruleset. Finding your opponent's friend code should be extremely easy, utilizing the tournament threads, SWF friendfinder and SWF and Wifi Wars chatrooms.

Cost –

Absolutely free.

Prizes –

Winners from each of the four regions (as decided in the elimination bracket) will receive:

A copy of Puzzle Quest for the Nintendo Wii

Custom user title and avatar on both wifiwars.com and smashboards.com

An interview with Wifi Wars that will be published on the front page

Admission to the Smash Back Room on smashboards.com

Registration

Registration is open now.

To sign up, visit http://smashboards.com/smashwarsreg.php, and enter your state and preferred display name.

Registration is capped at 1600, so be sure to sign up and reserve your spot. There will also be a waiting list to replace those who fail to check in during the proper period.

Procedure
In an effort to minimize lag, participants will be divided up by region for both days of the tournament. Members are strongly encouraged to be truthful about their state, to ensure the best quality connection possible.

The size of the pools will be determined by the number of entrants. Players have all day Saturday to complete their pool's assigned matches. Prior to Tournament Day, new forums will be opened on Smashboards to accommodate a thread for each individual pool. You will be
able to review your placement and start contacting opponents once these forums go live.

There are no deadlines for individual pool matches. Rather, you are responsible to complete your matches in the allotted time. Please make sure you have enough free time on Saturday to participate. Failure to complete your matches will result in a score penalty, and in extreme cases, disqualification.

If a member of your pool is disqualified, everyone in that pool will receive points as though they had won.

The top players from each pool will advance to Sunday's bracket. Again, the exact number will depend on turnout. The exact number advancing from each pool will be posted Wednesday, March 19th, alongside the complete ruleset.

Only players 15-years of age or older with a valid smashboards account are eligible to compete. Minors are not eligible for prizes without a parental consent.

Get ready!

Over the next several weeks leading up to the event, we will be updating this thread with more information. So, commence your trashtalk, reserve your spots, and once Brawl hits, start practicing!

RULES POSTED:

http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/390

orintemple

Smash Lord
And this is entirely online, at your home, no travel required?

Hellz yea I'm in.

It looks like you guys really took care to set this up too, nice job.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I'd LOVE to join but I have a problem...
I live in Mexico...does that mean I can't join? or in the sign ups do I choose the closest state (which would be Texas)?

I also have relatives who live there, so I guess there wouldn't be a problem with sending the prize (that is if I win)

Quaalude

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling this is going to be huge.
Hopefully it runs pretty smooth.

Maruku

Smash Cadet
WEST Tijuana BC Mexico(Right Next to California)
I'd LOVE to join but I have a problem...
I live in Mexico...does that mean I can't join? or in the sign ups do I choose the closest state (which would be Texas)?

I also have relatives who live there, so I guess there wouldn't be a problem with sending the prize (that is if I win)
yeah me to
i live in Baja California, does it mean i cant participate or should i select California which is right next to where i live?, i mean cmon im just next to san diego it should be no problem... right....

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
well Im signing in as Texas cause I live 2 hours away from its border...
do you write your REAL name or internet name in the sign ups?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
You can sign up with an alias as your name. It could be your SWF username, or your real name, or whatever you want. I think it's basically just how you're identified on the bracket.

About Canada and Mexico, good points. I'm pretty sure that was just an oversight. I would say you can either register as whatever you're closest to, or wait a bit until we update the registration form. If you do register (or already have), you can contact us and ask us to change your location. That shouldn't be an issue.

Same goes for your name. If you gave us your real name and would rather it not be shown, shoot me a message.

Ichida

Smash Ace
CHALLENGER APPROACHING - Ichida

:D

EDIT: WHY do we need to specify a state? <.<;

EDIT AGAIN: I just decided to pick a random state. Note somewhere that I am Canadian. No way I'll get left out of this for being Canadian.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I entered, and I'm ready to roll as TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK! I can't WAIT to use my favorite video game character of all-time in smash, and unleash his pwnsome skillz! :) *sheds [man] tear* I think this is the third tournament I'll have entered by the time it begins, excluding the GameStop one, IF I enter that one, even. Can't wait, and best of luck to you all. Or at least, unless you face me! :grin: I'm in Cali, so I'm screwed=too many Melee pros. :urg: But at least it's a fresh start, so I got that to my advantage. >_>

And yae to me being smart and putting "Johnknight1". I bet none of you will EVER GUESS my first name! :laugh:

Johnknight1 and Too[n] Awsome Young Link have joined the Brawl!

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I'd love to participate, but on the 29th Zareidriel is holding his Great Aether Open wifi tourny...I wonder if its possible to play in two online tournies in one day? :confused::)

*shrug* I'll make it work somehow. *registers*

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I registered, so I'm game.
Suppose this will be the first time me and my Pikachu will enter a tournament that isn't in a small card-game shop. Looks exciting.

One problem: I'm 14, with my birthday coming in 2 months. Does that mean I'm close enough to compete, or do I still need parental consent? :confused:

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Sounds like a great idea, it's awesome to see two great powers in terms of Smash sites teaming up. :)

-Knux-

Smash Ace
This is put together well. I'm definitely signing up for this.

If I have plans on the weekend of this tournament, I'll have to cancel them. Nothing's more important than a huge Smash tournament. And the glory of being a regional winner. This sounds so fun.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Is this tournament US exclusive? I live in the Caribbean (on the island of St. Kitts), and would love to participate.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
All players in North America are welcome to register for this event, but please be aware that contest laws in other countries may prevent you from receiving all of your prizes. You may also be at a distinct disadvantage playing from regions that are distant from the continental United States.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
smashreg said:
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /smashwars/db_connect.php on line 3
Could not connect:
:/
I'll try again...
CdBobo (BOBO is my tag in-game) from Utah :).

Congratulations! You have successfully registered for Smash Wars
Woot. I'm #48!

brittmarie2789

Smash Rookie
Am I still able to compete, even though I have the same Friend Code as another person who signed up to play?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Go for it. You can have multiple people using the same Wii, so long as it isn't so many that it would impact your ability to finish your allotted matches.

In fact, it would be rather cool to see people get a few Smash Wars smashfests going, where they gather and spend the day playing each other in between playing their Wifi sets. Hmm...

Also, staff members of SWF and WW are permitted to participate, but staff members of the tournament itself (referees, regional refs, etc) are not. You should be fine.

Finally, argh at Mysql errors. We're working to fix this.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
edit:I'm the only member from FL signed up? thats not good
Eh, I'm from Naples. Now there's two :)

A shame that it ends at 9:00 though; I have a tournament at Play N Trade that I'll be attending and that one starts @ 8:00 on the same day (29th). But I see noted that there will be seperate threads for different pools. Does this mean that the majority of the pools will be competing at the same time? Or will certain pools face certain pools at certain times? If the latter, would it be possible for me to request or be in one of the earlier pools to still face off in my PNT tournament? If not, it's cool; I could just play the Smash Wars tournament until I had to leave, right?

Either way, looks awesome. I'll sign up as soon as an answer comes in for my situation.

Mazui

Smash Cadet
**** i really wanted to enter, But you can only choose a state cuz i live in Europe. x_x
Got a Modded Wii here with Smash..

Brawl Lover

Smash Rookie
I'd happily join were I not in Europe and knowing that the WiFi across the pond will be pretty laggy and pointless.

It's a great idea though. May the best fighter win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom