• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate Q&A thread

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I recently discovered something just messing around on Training Mode:
  1. Go as a character with a rapid jab (Bowser Jr, Mr Game & Watch, etc.)
  2. Pick Bowser as your opponent (important, since I haven't found this to work with other characters yet)
  3. Position yourself with your back against a ledge and Bowser right in front of you
  4. Use your rapid jab
If done right, Bowser will just move left to right, still taking damage but no hitstun so he stays in his idle animation, and the number of combos will stay at 1. Is this a glitch - either from the patch or since the game came out - or is this intentional to stop Bowser from being a victim of some jab combos?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I recently discovered something just messing around on Training Mode:
  1. Go as a character with a rapid jab (Bowser Jr, Mr Game & Watch, etc.)
  2. Pick Bowser as your opponent (important, since I haven't found this to work with other characters yet)
  3. Position yourself with your back against a ledge and Bowser right in front of you
  4. Use your rapid jab
If done right, Bowser will just move left to right, still taking damage but no hitstun so he stays in his idle animation, and the number of combos will stay at 1. Is this a glitch - either from the patch or since the game came out - or is this intentional to stop Bowser from being a victim of some jab combos?
That's called "Tough Guy", a unique property of Bowser that gives him a small amount of super armor at all times.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Guys, I've been playing singles competitively for a few months now. There's a big regional coming up for my state and I entered doubles with my friend on a whim just because we both want more experience and why not? Neither of us expect to do well in doubles at all, but I wanted to ask: how do you play doubles in this game? What strategies are common/work? How should I approach it differently from singles? And team attack is typically on, correct?

Deanbms

Smash Rookie
Hey Everyone,
I've been playing Smash for a long time, but only decided to really learn to play the game in Ultimate. I've been playing online quickplay a lot and recently have played a ton of little mac. I do decent for the most part until I encounter projectile spam characters such as the Links (young, toon, reg). I was wondering if anyone had any tips to deal with projectile spam as a character who relies on being close to the opponent.
Thanks ahead of time

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
Hey Everyone,
I've been playing Smash for a long time, but only decided to really learn to play the game in Ultimate. I've been playing online quickplay a lot and recently have played a ton of little mac. I do decent for the most part until I encounter projectile spam characters such as the Links (young, toon, reg). I was wondering if anyone had any tips to deal with projectile spam as a character who relies on being close to the opponent.
Thanks ahead of time
You'll have to get good at parrying the projectiles to close the gap between you and the camper. Once you've gotten into close range with your opponent, instead of just attacking right away, wait and observe what defensive option they choose. Do they roll? Do they jump away? Do they shield? Little Mac can cover all of these options very well if you know what they'll do, but you'll first want to figure out which habits they tend to resort to when under pressure.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to full hop attack cancel? I've seen some videos of tweak's roy lately and I swear he does it somehow lol. Or is it possible to rar in the middle of an initial dash?

Skarjak

Smash Rookie
I want to use L and R as my jump buttons since it makes short hops really easy compared to flicking a face button on my pro controller, but when I go into training mode to practice, doing neutral airs makes me reset position constantly. :/ You don't even need to hit L+R+A all at once to trigger that, just pressing A shortly after L+R does it. Does anyone know of any way to address this? Anyone else use this control scheme? How do you train?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I want to use L and R as my jump buttons since it makes short hops really easy compared to flicking a face button on my pro controller, but when I go into training mode to practice, doing neutral airs makes me reset position constantly. :/ You don't even need to hit L+R+A all at once to trigger that, just pressing A shortly after L+R does it. Does anyone know of any way to address this? Anyone else use this control scheme? How do you train?
Then don't practice in training mode. Beat up on some low-level CPUs instead.

Arion200

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0225-8081-0252
im thinking in buying the fighter pass but my nintendo switch online is ending in september, like when my membership ends i wont be able to play online

What are your Thoughs about these and what should i buy first? (i will purchase the second probably in december or other month idk)

(i know i should made it as an poll but i wanna see ur opinions so)

GhostM

Phantom
Depends on how often you play Ultimate, and how invested you are in online mode. If you play online a lot then you would want to pay for your membership so you can still practice with other players rather than CPU's. If you play LAN a lot more than online then buy the fighter pass, but just note that solely practicing on CPU's is a bad habit since they do silly mistakes that no human would ever do. You can experiment with the new characters offline to get a feel, but you won't get the full experience if you only play against CPU's.

BradenAllanNet

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to do attack cancel back airs, and I can't. Is there a better way to instant back air? If not then when do I press the C-stick back? I can never get it and I don't know the correct timing.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Is there a reason why trying to do a pivot grab can result in a forward smash?

JoseSGG

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to do attack cancel back airs, and I can't. Is there a better way to instant back air? If not then when do I press the C-stick back? I can never get it and I don't know the correct timing.
You have to press C-stick back, then immediatly jump. Keep in mind that you can only attack cancel out of a dash, not the running animation

JoseSGG

Smash Rookie
I have a question regarding shield advantage

I understand that “on shield data” determines how many frames a character can act before the other, but on what conditions is it determined? What frame of the move does it take into consideration? Does it consider both characters were initially grounded? Does it consider fast-falls and sourspots?

AmpuleGado

Smash Rookie
Yo i have a question. The difficulty for the AI when you rechallenge a newcomer, is it the same level when you first fight them or is the difficulty the same for both fights?

Arion200

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0225-8081-0252
i have another question,

since im buying online next month, i think if i buy fighter pass lately, i wont receive the past fighters like if its alreadly october and i buy fighter pass i still wont receive banjo released in fall/september (im thinking its coming in september). i need someone to confirm if this is true or not.

daddypeach

Smash Cadet
I have a question regarding shield advantage

I understand that “on shield data” determines how many frames a character can act before the other, but on what conditions is it determined? What frame of the move does it take into consideration? Does it consider both characters were initially grounded? Does it consider fast-falls and sourspots?
For grounded attacks, it is the first possible frame that the move could hit. If you hit at a later frame, you will have to do some math to figure out your advantage.

For aerials, I'm pretty sure that frame advantage is calculated at the lowest possible point the attack can come out, so your frame advantage is VERY optimistic. The better frame advantage is for sweetspot/worse frame advantage is for sourspot; usually there are two frame-advantages reported.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is there a reason why trying to do a pivot grab can result in a forward smash?
For some reason you can't grab while already in the pivot animation, so if your grab button input is slightly off the game will read the grab button as an attack input instead. It's especially noticable with characters who have long pivot animations, like Charizard. I don't know why the game is programmed like that, but it makes the pivot grab input far tighter then it needs to be. If it's a frequent problem for you then you might want to practice the input in training mode.
So I’m trying to figure out how to play 2v2 offline with some friends, but don’t know how, can someone help please
I'm probably too late for this to be of much help, but on the character select screen, there should be a be a yellow bar near the top that says "solo battle". If you select it it will change to "team battle". You can change team colors by selecting the flags next to the character portraits.

Firox

Smash Master
OK, this is kind of random but curiosity is killing me:

So I was looking at my Smash records and noticed that my Power Time Count is about 700 hrs. That means that the game has supposedly been on for 700 hrs.

Then I noticed that my Play time count was only about 400 hrs. That's the amount of time I've actually spent in game playing, ie in battle.

That means I've got a 300 hrs discrepancy between the amount of time the game is on and how much I've played. How is that possible. I've 99% sure that I haven't just left the game sitting on overnight or something like that. Could it be that the Power time is including even when I'm "logged in" but have the switch on standby? Does any one have any ideas as to how this could happen?

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I went into an annoying bug tonight and don't know how to fix it. This happened without any reason. I played a few games everything was fine and the next fight pressing X would do a grab instead of jump.
Playing with a GC controller. X button assigned to grab and Y to jump. Although I did note change the settings, now pressing Y results in a grab as I said. All other buttons are working well. Went into options and button settings to check settings : all is OK (not surprising since I had not modified anything before the problem comes). Then went into "test" and everything OK, pressing Y results in a jump. This should mean that my controller is fine. But going back to any other mode, the same weird things happens again : Y = grab instead of jump. Tried to restart the game and also to delete my control settings and create a new one, but it does not fix the problem. Again, in "test" (mario and sand bag) I have no problem. Anyone ever had the same problem? Any recommendation?

Edit: everything went back to normal today without any intervention. Weird

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Smash Cadet
This question is concerning music.

Earlier while I was on Spectate Mode, I heard the Song "Sonic Boom" from Sonic CD while watching a match being played on Green Hill Zone, yet when I went to find the soundtrack through the Music section through the Vault, it was nowhere to be found through the "Sonic Series" section. Why?

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'm trying to understand smash ultimate frame data. Can someone redirect me where I can get help on this site.

JBGrasshopper

Smash Rookie
Im just here asking: WHICH forums do i go to if i want the question of: how do i make GOOD Super smash bros lawl movesets, answered?

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
How is it important to use spot dodge (grounded)? I almost never do that and rely on shield. Watching competitive players footage, I did not notice they spot dodge a lot. Do you think it is a must to learn for an intermediate like me or should I focus on other things to improve? I m trying to develop a bait and punish style with Falco, who lacks both range and efficient OOS options as you know.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How is it important to use spot dodge (grounded)? I almost never do that and rely on shield. Watching competitive players footage, I did not notice they spot dodge a lot. Do you think it is a must to learn for an intermediate like me or should I focus on other things to improve? I m trying to develop a bait and punish style with Falco, who lacks both range and efficient OOS options as you know.
Spotdodging has a few advantages over shielding in Ultimate. For one, you can cancel a spotdodge directly into a jab, tilt or smash attack, which is useful for Falco since he's got some really good tilts. Spotdodge -> U-tilt can be particularly annoying.

The other is that spotdodging beats grabs, while shielding loses to them. You also can't cancel it into a jump.

The disadvantage is that spotdodges can be beaten out my meaty and slow attacks, but it's well worth utilizing. Try using it against opponents who grab a lot.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Nah

Smash Champion
I opened a new thread asking a question:
You can't move your threads (or any threads), and it's a pretty common thing on forums that only mods and admins can do that.

So what you'll wanna do if you need it moved is to contact the relevant moderators or an admin and ask them to move it for you.

ShadowSuke

Smash Rookie
Hello Guys,
im facing a problem with short hop attacks (by pressing a+x)
i started to use shorthop attacks with a+x and short hopping without attacking with RT and X ( but i double jump alot by mistake)
if the enemies are small like pacman kirby etc i cant hit them with the short hop attack shortcut
( i can only hit them when i short hop with R+X and delayed a-attack) i cant get used to press 3 buttons ( RT X and A) plus the other inputs
So the short hop attack shortcut is only good against mid height and big characters? any solutions?

I tested this first with bayonetta against pacman and bayleth against kirby
i couldnt hit pacman with bayos neutral air and kirby with baylets forward air with the shortcut A+X

some neutral or forward airs are too high to hit small enemies if you use the shortcut...

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Hello Guys,
im facing a problem with short hop attacks (by pressing a+x)
i started to use shorthop attacks with a+x and short hopping without attacking with RT and X ( but i double jump alot by mistake)
if the enemies are small like pacman kirby etc i cant hit them with the short hop attack shortcut
( i can only hit them when i short hop with R+X and delayed a-attack) i cant get used to press 3 buttons ( RT X and A) plus the other inputs
So the short hop attack shortcut is only good against mid height and big characters? any solutions?

I tested this first with bayonetta against pacman and bayleth against kirby
i couldnt hit pacman with bayos neutral air and kirby with baylets forward air with the shortcut A+X

some neutral or forward airs are too high to hit small enemies if you use the shortcut...
What exactly do you have assigned to X and R?

Some short hop attacks missing against short characters is normal though, stuff like Bayo nair and Byleth F-air are narrow horizontal hitboxes.

What I think is happening is that you're hitting with one but not the other because the aerial comes out at different times, so you're at a different position when the move comes out, which may make it more likely to hit.

ShadowSuke

Smash Rookie
What exactly do you have assigned to X and R?

Some short hop attacks missing against short characters is normal though, stuff like Bayo nair and Byleth F-air are narrow horizontal hitboxes.

What I think is happening is that you're hitting with one but not the other because the aerial comes out at different times, so you're at a different position when the move comes out, which may make it more likely to hit.
X and RT are Jump

if i use RT+X and a delayed a button on bayo nair and bayleth fair if will hit because i can time it right before i land < its still hard but doable
but if i press a+x the attack is instanly above kirbys head for example

should i stop trying to use the a+x method on tiny characters? i dont really know because i feel comfortable with this method
( it feels better for me when i use fast falling and short hop directional air moves..)

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
For stuff like Bayo nair and Byleth Fair, you'll probably want to stop using A+X on shorties yeah, you're not gonna hit them while rising, but can while falling

For stuff with a hitbox that hits lower, A+X should be fine on them

ShadowSuke

Smash Rookie
For stuff like Bayo nair and Byleth Fair, you'll probably want to stop using A+X on shorties yeah, you're not gonna hit them while rising, but can while falling

For stuff with a hitbox that hits lower, A+X should be fine on them
oof.. thank you :)
but should i completely forget about a+x and practicing with RT+X and a instead or should i use a mixup of both worlds?
i have trouble using fast falling with this method ( just used this for jumping around)

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
oof.. thank you :)
but should i completely forget about a+x and practicing with RT+X and a instead?
i have trouble using fast falling with this method ( just used this for jumping around)
Don't need to completely stop using A+X in general, just in certain situations.

Might have to just play around a bit and see what exactly works for you.

ShadowSuke

Smash Rookie
i
Don't need to completely stop using A+X in general, just in certain situations.

Might have to just play around a bit and see what exactly works for you.
i main joker and the grab upthrow up a+x combo is easier for me than pressing rt+x+a ( i miss the timing often or double jump by mistake;
i think its because i only press 2 buttons so i can focus more on things like positioning and stuff )

just thought implementing this shortcut for beginners is cool but it isnt that good when you fight tiny characters :c

Last edited:

Kung Fu

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have the problem where for example, you dash facing left and then perform a neutral aerial but end up facing right? To be more precise say as Ganon I down throw someone and then dash forward and try to perform a neutral aerial but instead of hitting them I perform the move facing the opposite direction thus not connecting. This happens maybe 50% of the time.

Is it a controller issue or I'm, unknowingly, flicking the stick in one direction but perhaps slightly flicking the opposite direction when it flicks back?

Last edited:
Top Bottom