Q&A Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle's no worse than K. Rool or Bayonetta. They're all held in kind of low regard at the moment.

Anything you're particularly drawn to in a character or playstyle? How do you like to play? It sounds like you're more into K. Rool for the character than for how he plays, which doesn't give us much to draw from.
Tbh I'm drawn to the characters more than their playstyles. I usually don't pick up a character unless I've played their games, which I know makes this harder but I'll give it a shot.

I prefer close range fighting, preferably someone who doesn't struggle to kill, and I like to have at least one projectile so I don't get completely camped out. And style points are an absolute must. I generally lean towards heavies, but that's not a box that has to be checked. And lastly, as dumb as it sounds, I like a character that's underrated. I don't want to play a top tier character and be just another top tier main, I want my characters to be slightly unique (as you can tell by K Rool and Bayo).

In Sm4sh my line up was Charizard, Pit, Jigglypuff, Palutena, and Wario. This time around I'm actually competing so I want a little more cohesive team, and I want my top three to cover eachother's weaknesses (which right now is speedsters and projectile characters). Idk, I think I have a bunch of checkboxes, making this kinda hard.

And just for more clarity, franchises I've played:
Bayo, Mario, DKC, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Persona, Kirby, Punchout, Megaman, Mii, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, Sonic

Last edited:

Zachmac

Resident Zard Enthusiast
Premium
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
NNID
AbsolBlade
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I prefer close range fighting, preferably someone who doesn't struggle to kill, and I like to have at least one projectile so I don't get completely camped out. And style points are an absolute must. I generally lean towards heavies, but that's not a box that has to be checked. And lastly, as dumb as it sounds, I like a character that's underrated. I don't want to play a top tier character and be just another top tier main, I want my characters to be slightly unique (as you can tell by K Rool and Bayo).
Reading this description makes me think of Mario.

He...
- Has very fast close range options and a great combo game.
- Has good smash attacks and edge guarding for when you need to kill, and can finish off really pesky opponents who refuse to die with Dair and Bair at higher percents.
- Can deal with camping somewhat with his Fire Ball and good mobility, although he struggles a little against swordies (on the flipside though, K.Rool doesn't generally do to terrible against swords himself imo so you've got some coverage there).
- Has a super stylish Fair as well as free-form combos for styling.

He's also just a really simple character who will reward and teach you fundamentals, which makes for a good secondary. Not sure if I'd call him underrated though. Back in Smash 4 I mained a low-tier(:4charizard:) alongside a high-tier(:4mewtwo:) secondary before and it became very tempting to just make Mewtwo my main as I got more serious about it so I can kind of understand the reluctance to pick up a better character.

rawrau

Smash Rookie
Guys I'm stuck, I can't decide on a solid main trio.

So here's my sitch:
-I definitely want King K in the roster, sentimental value, I'm sticking with him
-I thought I'd make PT my secondary because he covers so many weaknesses, and 3 character? I'll never get bored
---I got bored
---Also, everyone knows the PT match up, everyone has a pocket PT, that's not how I like to play
-I want to make Bayo work and lately I've been having a lot of fun with her, but fun =/= results
-I'd like to have Isabelle but according to the whole world she's bottom tier, but there's an Isabelle resurgence lately

TL;DR King K main, need a solid secondary (preferably someone in my signature, but I'm open to suggestions). Bayo, PT, and Isabelle are good contenders.
Actually PT doesn't cover many weaknesses, while he's very good against most of the roster, he sucks Vs. top tiers and -in my opinion- has crappy matchups Vs. Sonic, Fox and maybe Diddy.

I don't know much about K. Rool, but he's very exploitable to the point Isabelle might make a better main

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Reading this description makes me think of Mario.

He...
- Has very fast close range options and a great combo game.
- Has good smash attacks and edge guarding for when you need to kill, and can finish off really pesky opponents who refuse to die with Dair and Bair at higher percents.
- Can deal with camping somewhat with his Fire Ball and good mobility, although he struggles a little against swordies (on the flipside though, K.Rool doesn't generally do to terrible against swords himself imo so you've got some coverage there).
- Has a super stylish Fair as well as free-form combos for styling.

He's also just a really simple character who will reward and teach you fundamentals, which makes for a good secondary. Not sure if I'd call him underrated though. Back in Smash 4 I mained a low-tier(:4charizard:) alongside a high-tier(:4mewtwo:) secondary before and it became very tempting to just make Mewtwo my main as I got more serious about it so I can kind of understand the reluctance to pick up a better character.
I was kinda thinking this too. Very middle of the road, not particularly bad against anyone (except swordies like you mentioned, and yes, K Rool does pretty well against them). Got the style points with cape and FLUDD. I don't think I'd be terribly oppossed. The only thing is I'm not crazy about his aesthetics. How do you feel Dr. Mario is in comparison?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Actually PT doesn't cover many weaknesses, while he's very good against most of the roster, he sucks Vs. top tiers and -in my opinion- has crappy matchups Vs. Sonic, Fox and maybe Diddy.

I don't know much about K. Rool, but he's very exploitable to the point Isabelle might make a better main
I just feel like PT has a lot of answers to a lot of problems. But I would agree, against speedsters they aren't great. Squirtle just can't keep up, Ivy's razor leaf is the only answer, and Zard is just a punching bag at that point.

I think I need a projectile character to even out my roster. I don't think Isabelle is a bad choice at all, and I've been looking at Toon Link also. I think Tink is a little bit lacking, and Isabelle's tools just don't always work, but besides that they both meet the requirements.

Thanks for the help!

Zachmac

Resident Zard Enthusiast
Premium
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
NNID
AbsolBlade
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I was kinda thinking this too. Very middle of the road, not particularly bad against anyone (except swordies like you mentioned, and yes, K Rool does pretty well against them). Got the style points with cape and FLUDD. I don't think I'd be terribly oppossed. The only thing is I'm not crazy about his aesthetics. How do you feel Dr. Mario is in comparison?
I'm not as familiar with Doc but his mobility is much worse then Mario's at the cost of power, so I think his strengths and weaknesses overlap with K.Rools at bit more.

He's definitely more of a heavy-hitter and underdog pick if those two things are important to you though.

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
Need help picking a zoner to compliment my :ultfox: . I have been considering :ultdarksamus: , who i am the best with online (However, I am aware that D Samus is great for wifi), :ultrichter: , who i also have great success with, or :ultpokemontrainer: , of which i would mainly only play ivysaur, and have to put in a bit more work (which i'm fine with). Any suggestions would be great!
Cheers
I feel like it definitely depends on the amount of commitment you are willing to give your zoner.

Zachmac

Resident Zard Enthusiast
Premium
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
NNID
AbsolBlade
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Any advice for a Pit main I to know how to fight off stage
Take note of how your opponent recovers and use your multijumps to position yourself to intercept it. Fair and Dair are my main edgeguarding tools when playing as one of the Pits. Don't be too scared to go deep, Pit has a good enough recovery to make it back.

Shooting and arrow at your target while off stage can be a good way to force a reaction or stuff out their double jump, which could put you in a better position for edgegaurding. Definitely practice with controlling Pit's arrows.