• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread

Heracr055

Smash Ace
As if selecting a main in Smash Bros. Wii U wasn't tough enough...

Smash Ultimate Logo.png

(Thread creation approved by Cyndane, Legendary Spirit Trainer, Sucumbio, NonSpecificGuy and Liberation!)

(Credit to Drs. FalKoopa who created this thread for Smash for Wii U and inspired this version for Ultimate)​

Welcome to the Smash Ultimate "Mains Advice" Thread! The roster in this game stands at a staggering 74 characters, and will expand to include 80 by the time the DLC is distributed. As such, it can become quite the daunting undertaking to select a main or mains in this game. The objective of this thread is to serve as a collaborative center to guide players who are unsure of what selection to make with their main characters. So feel free to ask for and provide advice!
Please treat each other with common courtesy in this thread; we all have different opinions. With that out of the way, let's get to finding our mains! Good luck and have fun!

Smash Ultimate Roster.png

Edit: This is more of a Q&A style thread where users will ask for assistance. However, don't let that discourage you from sharing your journey as you search for your main, as your story can help guide others in the right direction. You are also free to discuss secondaries and pockets as well; however, mains are the primary topic here.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I've updated the thread title and edited the OP to clarify what the purpose of the thread is (mostly as a Q&A). I don't want this thread to meander in the wrong direction and become a place where suggestions are offered without a specific question, as everyone will have unique predicaments and solutions. With that being said, let's continue to work towards the ultimate goal of helping people find their best fit characters!

Last edited:

Pho-king

Smash Rookie
So i have been attempting to pick up Roy, but I've noticed that i struggle in match-ups with characters shorter than me especially Isabelle. my shorthop aerials swing just above their heads.

I had a match yesterday facing her on a battlefield layout stage and i was having an extremely difficult time approaching because she would just stand under the platforms on one side and cover the front with her Lloyd and fling projectiles/fishing pole me from there. and any time i could get near her i would just swing over her head. prior to ultimate i played Marth and had no trouble hitting the short folks with a short-hop Dair but unfortunately Roy cant even swing his Dair from a short-hop. Any advice here? i typically use the a+jump auto short-hop, can i swing lower if i manually short-hop?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
You might have better luck finding an answer to this question in the Roy discord (you can find the link on Smashcords). They would know more about how to deal with that issue than most here since it's character specific

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
So i have been attempting to pick up Roy, but I've noticed that i struggle in match-ups with characters shorter than me especially Isabelle. my shorthop aerials swing just above their heads.

I had a match yesterday facing her on a battlefield layout stage and i was having an extremely difficult time approaching because she would just stand under the platforms on one side and cover the front with her Lloyd and fling projectiles/fishing pole me from there. and any time i could get near her i would just swing over her head. prior to ultimate i played Marth and had no trouble hitting the short folks with a short-hop Dair but unfortunately Roy cant even swing his Dair from a short-hop. Any advice here? i typically use the a+jump auto short-hop, can i swing lower if i manually short-hop?

Try looking at his short hop and fast falling explanations. Fast fall helps you hit lower with some characters so give it a try.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
So...this game I am having struggles finding a character I am willing to main tbh. I overall have a more aggressive playstyle, and edgeguard often, and I like characters that have more to them than characters like Mario. Any advice? My previous mains might be able to help with advice, but idk

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
So...this game I am having struggles finding a character I am willing to main tbh. I overall have a more aggressive playstyle, and edgeguard often, and I like characters that have more to them than characters like Mario. Any advice? My previous mains might be able to help with advice, but idk
You want a well rounded aggressuve character or just plain aggressive?

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
You want a well rounded aggressuve character or just plain aggressive?
Overall I think well rounded would suit me more as a player more, but suggestions for both would be nice so I can just try both types out.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Overall I think well rounded would suit me more as a player more, but suggestions for both would be nice so I can just try both types out.
I highly recommend Sheik in the case that you are looking for an aggressive character. She has a ranged attack and her recoveries are very good.

The only problem with Sheik is she is definitely a higher skillcap character because you need to know comboes to be effective with her.

Zero suit samus is also good.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I highly recommend Sheik in the case that you are looking for an aggressive character. She has a ranged attack and her recoveries are very good.

The only problem with Sheik is she is definitely a higher skillcap character because you need to know comboes to be effective with her.

Zero suit samus is also good.
Alright, I will try these two out soon to see how they work and to see if I like them! Thanks!

If anyone else has suggestions, I would also appreciate that!

Btrust02

Smash Rookie
Is it worth putting time in a character that is top tier? I really like chrom but worried he will get nerfed or will just get constant hate for maining him.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Is it worth putting time in a character that is top tier? I really like chrom but worried he will get nerfed or will just get constant hate for maining him.
I would say it does not matter more than likely what character you pick, a Ganondorf made second in an Ultimate tournament. What I will say is you probably shouldn't master characters that are in the worst tier.

Btrust02

Smash Rookie
I would say it does not matter more than likely what character you pick, a Ganondorf made second in an Ultimate tournament. What I will say is you probably shouldn't master characters that are in the worst tier.
What do you think about maining a top tier? I had a bad experience with smash4 where I really like the character of bayonetta so I started practicing with her. I then posted in my local fb smash group about advice with her and they all said I would get roasted for using her in tourneys here.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
What do you think about maining a top tier? I had a bad experience with smash4 where I really like the character of bayonetta so I started practicing with her. I then posted in my local fb smash group about advice with her and they all said I would get roasted for using her in tourneys here.
Nothing wrong with maining a top tier character, just keep in mind the character that best suits your playstyle will be better than an top tier character.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Maining a character that gives you the best chance of winning is admirable. Don't let anyone discourage you from playing a top tier character. Let their hatred fuel your fire and destroy them.

Try giving the Pits a whirl. They have great neutral tools that reward agression. In addition, their kit of multi hit aerials and dash attack help keep your foes in disadvantage. And they are fantastic for edgeguards with said aerials (regular Pit's arrow is also good for messing up an offstage opponent's recovery). They also get to take advantage of the across the board airdodge nerfs well, while their multi jumps and up B leave them less reliant on using them. Lastly, they have good specials in Orbitars (which will help keep you alive) and their Upperdash/Electroshock Arm, which are excellent punish tools.Highly recommended by me. Good luck!

Last edited:

Skyknight

Smash Rookie
Right now, I myself am trying to winnow a set of ten down to five/three/one (i.e. sets for 5v5 and 3v3, along with a singleton). The retinue are Falco, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, Ike (although I'm starting to worry about his smash/special speed), Lucario, Little Mac, Ken, Corrin, Simon, and Incineroar (better special/smash speed than Ike, at least...as long as you don't consider their down smash...). The other FE Lords are out because I'm finding myself increasingly uninterested in their shared side+B. That list is mostly there so I can get a sense of if there's any particular vulnerability I've managed to keep hitting (and/or there's a shared strength I should focus on).

Note that I'm a total novice; I only got into the series on the release day, after finally figuring out how the game worked from the 3DS iteration's demo. That Incineroar icon is only there to avoid the area looking empty for now.

EDIT: Okay, I've winnowed down to three--Incineroar, Richter (1v1 main), and Lucario. Now all that's left is to figure out two complements for 5v5...Any suggestions? (Preferably from the list I made.)

Last edited:

Oops!!!

Smash Rookie
NNID
Puhjamuhz
3DS FC
0404-5654-7967
Hi all! I mostly lurked around here during the Smash 4 days, but with Ultimate out now, I'm trying to be a bit more active. I posted this on Reddit earlier today and didn't get a ton of replies, so I'll just copy/paste my same message here...

"After watching replays of some of my matches online against my friends (in which I got bodied lol) I was able to sort of see the play style I’m going for. Basically, it comes down to this:

My gameplan revolved around attempting to get my opponent to make a mistake in neutral (whiff on an attack, poor positioning, or basically just overcommitting to something). Typically, I’d try and do this by hanging outside of their range or by playing in a “tricky” manner with my movement. Then when they’d mess up, I’d go in for a combo or a smash attack. I’d kind of whittle away at their percent this way, and if I had a strong advantage, like getting them offstage, or in a position I could juggle them, I’d try and keep them there as best as I can.

Are there any characters who would fit into this play style? I’ll give any and all suggestions a fair shot. I’m not too picky on certain things. I’d say overall I prefer characters with better mobility and maybe a projectile but those aren’t mandatory at all and I can adapt where necessary."

(As a note, I mained Greninja in Smash 4, but I don't know... I feel like something's not clicking this time around).

Thanks!

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Hi all! I mostly lurked around here during the Smash 4 days, but with Ultimate out now, I'm trying to be a bit more active. I posted this on Reddit earlier today and didn't get a ton of replies, so I'll just copy/paste my same message here...

"After watching replays of some of my matches online against my friends (in which I got bodied lol) I was able to sort of see the play style I’m going for. Basically, it comes down to this:

My gameplan revolved around attempting to get my opponent to make a mistake in neutral (whiff on an attack, poor positioning, or basically just overcommitting to something). Typically, I’d try and do this by hanging outside of their range or by playing in a “tricky” manner with my movement. Then when they’d mess up, I’d go in for a combo or a smash attack. I’d kind of whittle away at their percent this way, and if I had a strong advantage, like getting them offstage, or in a position I could juggle them, I’d try and keep them there as best as I can.

Are there any characters who would fit into this play style? I’ll give any and all suggestions a fair shot. I’m not too picky on certain things. I’d say overall I prefer characters with better mobility and maybe a projectile but those aren’t mandatory at all and I can adapt where necessary."

(As a note, I mained Greninja in Smash 4, but I don't know... I feel like something's not clicking this time around).

Thanks!
I would say all characters fit that role, there's a lot of mind games to be played in Ultimate. But I get the feeling Pichu/Pikachu/Wolf suit your playstyle seeing as they have a run in run out playstyle.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice

Thanks!

If you don't mind being a little defensive and relying on timed projectiles, try out my man snake. His neutral consists of him throwing around grenades, dropping C4, wait for the enemy to get blown up and then punishing with a dair or a ftilt. His edge guarding game is one of the best, and he can surprise people with the sheer amount of **** you can have onscreen. Imagine trying to get back to stage when there are two grenades on the edge, a C4 roll distance away, and snake charging an upsmash on the platform.

You can be very safe by simply pulling out a grenade, shielding when someone attacks you means they blow up in front of you as you hit the grenade. If they grab you, they have to time it perfectly to get the i-frames or you're free. His recovery allows him to go very high, and he does not go into special fall after letting go of the cypher, meaning you can surprise people with an aerial or a midair grenade.

Don't think he is all camp however, his dash attack has intangibility on the front and is strong enough to be a kill move. His uptilt kills around 100 and comes out very fast, it also can hit the platforms on battlefield when you are under it. Shorthop dair and nair let you be very aggressive, he even has a good spike on his fair. Another fun trick is to pull a grenade and hold it, walk up and go for a grab. If you get a grab you can time a dthrow with your iframes for free damage, and if it doesn't work they opponent is likely to blow up anyway.

His weaknesses are few but heavy. His aerials are generally slow (not counting dair), so he can be vulnerable in the air. Most of his kill moves require setup and good positioning. You also will have a tendency to blow yourself up often, because often that is the best move. He is also venerable to spikes when on cypher. Also, the Belmonts shut him down hard.

Good luck on the hunt, my man!

Wordpass12

Smash Rookie
I'm kinda having a main crisis I main cloud but I dont know if hes my perfect main I think my playstyle is a powerful character with a good recovery

Heracr055

Smash Ace

Thanks!
Peach and Sheik are good for tricky movement (float cancels with Peach and just general good movement with Sheik). They can both build percentage with combos and keep foes in disadvantage (especially offstage).

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

After trying out every single fighter, I came down to my 3-squad characters that I plan to spend the most time on::ultmario::ultshulk::ultkrool:. I decided on maining either Mario or King K Rool and leave Shulk as a secondary for friendlies (not considering for tournament use). This is where I struggle.

In past Smash games, I used to always have one main (which was always Mario because I have loyalty towards the red plumber). I always loved his simplicity and amazing combos he can perform. I did play other fighters and they were characters that I really love that I played in past games and Ultimate as well (like :ultmarth::ultshulk: specifically), but they never reached the fun that I had with Mario. So I put them as secondaries. However, it all changed when my most highly requested Nintendo character finally joined this Ultimate roster (no pun intended), being the Kremling Kommander, King K Rool. This crocodile is the most fun I have with a character for years. I`m about to even say that despite his flaws (such as slow run speed, combo food, being juggled hard which are flaws that bothered me in past Smash titles), I LOVE THIS CHARACTER ABOUT THE SAME LEVEL AS MARIO.

After thinking hard about it, I was really considering dual-maining Mario and King K Rool, but I did not want to slow down my progress as a player. Many people in the Smash community told me that sticking to one character is the most optimal way to improve as a player (and I agree myself), as focusing on many characters won`t allow us to be 100% optimal since you have to split the time to perfect your many characters. However, I just do not know who to main since I love both characters and I want to be 100% optimal with the two. On one hand, Mario is a very fundamental-based character, and his playstyle is about the same as:4mario:, which does make my playstyle transition easier from Smash 4 to Ultimate. On the other hand, King K Rool is a new character and a new playstyle that I never mained in past Smash games. Plus, he`s harder to play, but he still fits me. Do you guys recommend that I main King K Rool (because he`s harder to play) and leave Mario as a counterpick character? Or maining Mario and secondary King K Rool is manageable?

Thank you again for the help.

Last edited:

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
I am having a crisis honestly. Cause this game has so many characters I am excited to play and want to since the day they were announced. My friend has already found a main and is going to tourney's with him. I am currently stuck in the back still trying to figure out who I want to devote all my time to. I figured this was the place to kinda discuss that whole thing.
Been a true blue Sonic fan since day one of both video games and smash. I gravitate towards the cocky characters in fighting games a lot. But I am enjoying 5 characters currently in Smash Ultimate and those are
:ultsonic::ultchrom::ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf::ultincineroar: (Sonic, Chrom, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Incineroar)
Again, Sonic has always been my main so I gravitated towards him especially with years of experience under my belt, but this is a different game now.
Chrom was my first freak out after I found out Wolf was back. He was who I wanted when Lucina was announced in smash4. Was a bit heartbroken when that trailer was announced back in the day. Chrom is extremely fun to me.
Pokemon Trainer looked like a ton of fun when I saw gameplay and I had played Zard as my secondary in smash4 cause it was a fun character.
Wolf was another character I was excited for. I loved him in Brawl and played a little bit of him but he was never my secondary. In this he is super fun but its kinda frustrating to recover with him.
Incineroar is just fun all around. But I always have one character I just play in a smash game when I am just trying to have a fun time and not be serious at all. My joking around characters are usually ones with silly quirks like right now Revenge or a big body character. It's such a silly mechanic.

(This isn't counting for Joker whenever he is released)

If I am not in the right place to be putting this thing please disregard this!

Disco913

Smash Rookie
Hello guys, I've been swapping around characters (almost the whole cast) for like the past two weeks and I still can't settle on a character. Here lately I was thinking of picking up Ryu but am kind of skeptical of doing that. Honestly I just want to play a character that plays to my strengths as a player but I can't find one.

Here's what I look for in a character:
- Punishing: I like to punish other players for their mistakes, what ever they may be.
- Sort of fast: I like playing characters that are fast, but not too fast. I don't want to be a scramble god on my controller if you get what I'm saying.
- A little stylish: I like to style on people a little bit, but I think this could apply to everybody.

Here's what I don't like in a character:
- Standing still and spamming projectiles for a long amount of time (I don't like people like Richter, but don't mind Link's spammy-like nature)
- Heavies: Not a fan of being super slow.

I would appreciate some help, thanks in advance!

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Hello guys, I've been swapping around characters (almost the whole cast) for like the past two weeks and I still can't settle on a character. Here lately I was thinking of picking up Ryu but am kind of skeptical of doing that. Honestly I just want to play a character that plays to my strengths as a player but I can't find one.

Here's what I look for in a character:
- Punishing: I like to punish other players for their mistakes, what ever they may be.
- Sort of fast: I like playing characters that are fast, but not too fast. I don't want to be a scramble god on my controller if you get what I'm saying.
- A little stylish: I like to style on people a little bit, but I think this could apply to everybody.

Here's what I don't like in a character:
- Standing still and spamming projectiles for a long amount of time (I don't like people like Richter, but don't mind Link's spammy-like nature)
- Heavies: Not a fan of being super slow.

I would appreciate some help, thanks in advance!

try :ultfalcon:,:ultmetaknight:,:ultjigglypuff:,:ultluigi:,:ultgreninja:,:ultzss:

D

Deleted member

If you want to main Varia Samus, i suggest to try this:

-Get your neutral special fully charged, but only use it when the opponent is caught unprepared for the shot (a spot or situation where he can't shield or send the shot back, for example).

-When you try to recover with the Screwattack against a Plumber Mario player, try to use it in a position that won't take you next to him when you get up, since he can send you the other way around with the cape or the FLUDD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
If you want to main Varia Samus, i suggest to try this:

-Get your neutral special fully charged, but only use it when the opponent is caught unprepared for the shot (a spot or situation where he can't shield or send the shot back, for example).

-When you try to recover with the Screwattack against a Plumber Mario player, try to use it in a position that won't take you next to him when you get up, since he can send you the other way around with the cape or the FLUDD.

To add to that, be careful at high percents against Gorilla Donkey Kong, he can kill you with a fthrow.

and make sure you be careful offstage against a Zelda Shiek, she is very good at edge guarding with her fairs and bouncing fish.

Driddler

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,

I'm quite new to the serious smash community, and while I enjoyed watching high level play from time to time from Brawl onwards, I've never played at a high level.

In Brawl and Wii U I usually just set the choice to random, and thus played most of the roster, with a slight preference for Ike when I had to prove I was the best amongst my friends.

I'm now trying to get in to playing the game a bit more seriously, and thought picking a main would be a good place to start.

As for the actual choice in character I don't really have a clue yet. I've been playing Roy and Inkling a bit because they looked very nice on some tournament play I saw before, and I think my best character is Cloud atm.

My playstyle consists of a lot of jumping and trying to rack up damage with areals, and using ranged attacks to sneak in some extra damage if the character has that option. Still having difficulties finding good ways to kill with most characters, but I guess that'll sort itself out when I get more involved with one.

How did you guys pick your main? I'm not sure where to start....

TL;DR: Newcomer would like to know what kind of considerations you go through to pick a main. Playstyle up to now seems defensive

D

Deleted member

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to the serious smash community, and while I enjoyed watching high level play from time to time from Brawl onwards, I've never played at a high level.

In Brawl and Wii U I usually just set the choice to random, and thus played most of the roster, with a slight preference for Ike when I had to prove I was the best amongst my friends.

I'm now trying to get in to playing the game a bit more seriously, and thought picking a main would be a good place to start.

As for the actual choice in character I don't really have a clue yet. I've been playing Roy and Inkling a bit because they looked very nice on some tournament play I saw before, and I think my best character is Cloud atm.

My playstyle consists of a lot of jumping and trying to rack up damage with areals, and using ranged attacks to sneak in some extra damage if the character has that option. Still having difficulties finding good ways to kill with most characters, but I guess that'll sort itself out when I get more involved with one.

How did you guys pick your main? I'm not sure where to start....

TL;DR: Newcomer would like to know what kind of considerations you go through to pick a main. Playstyle up to now seems defensive
Good Aerials and defensive try
:ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultbowser::ultwario::ultsnake: if heavy's are not your thing try:ultdarksamus::ultbowserjr::ultrob:

positivity_is_punk

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm really struggling to find a main for Ultimate, I think the character I've 'clicked' with the most is Squirtle but I don't like using both Ivysaur and Charizard enough to play :ultpokemontrainer:.

Is there another character that's close to Squirtle in gameplay?

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking for a character whose game plan revolves around forcing the opponent offstage and then edge guarding, (and can do so effectively) but also has fast aerials. My main thoughts in this regard are Pichu/Pikachu or inkling, but not quite sure.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Along this journey since Ultimate came out, I’ve unlocked every character and have played with every character since it came out. Aside from King Dedede, nobody really stuck out to me as fun to play with.

I’m searching for something who’s not a heavy like D3 or Bowser, but someone who isn’t too floaty either for easier control. Can ledge trap, but isn’t complete garbage like D3. Can win neutral easier with surprise attacks. I’m thinking someone like Pac-Man or Link, but idk. Snake, Ice Climbers, Ike, ZSS, and Corrin catch my attention too rn

Karimawhet

Smash Rookie
Along this journey since Ultimate came out, I’ve unlocked every character and have played with every character since it came out. Aside from King Dedede, nobody really stuck out to me as fun to play with.

I’m searching for something who’s not a heavy like D3 or Bowser, but someone who isn’t too floaty either for easier control. Can ledge trap, but isn’t complete garbage like D3. Can win neutral easier with surprise attacks. I’m thinking someone like Pac-Man or Link, but idk. Snake, Ice Climbers, Ike, ZSS, and Corrin catch my attention too rn
Mii brawler, trust me, dig deep into this character and you’ll find the edge and the advantage this character has. Fortunately (or unfortunately) few have yet to realize that

JKincaid

Smash Rookie
Need help picking a sub. I've settled on Bowser as my main but I want a sub and tertiary.

I've mostly enjoyed Ken, Pac-Man, Villager, Ike, Snake, and Duck Hunt. I've also had interest in Wario, Dr Mario, Luigi, and Falcon though I havent played a whole lot of them.

karu

Smash Rookie
NNID
CarlFire900
3DS FC
5172-0976-8568
A little background of myself; I am a total noob, plain and simple. I started playing Sm4sh in 2016. I started playing Luigi, then moved to Pit, then bounced mains from there, mainly because I learned little to nothing about the game. I ended Sm4sh being a Marthcina duo main (I guess) in preparation to Smash Ultimate. Throughout Sm4sh, I've always felt unsure about Pit/Dark Pit, and I've had almost no reason to really main them; a very honest mid-tier character, has NOTHING overpowered to their kit, and also I never searched any guides for them, so I had no real way of knowing how to optimize their gameplay. Because of my failure to really pick a consistent main in Sm4sh, I got into Smash Ultimate scoping out the most efficient way to really get into the game competitively in the first month, and the first part of my plan came with a heavy emphasis on fundamentals and certain tech skill, but I didn't give my potential main a lot of thought.

So here we are now, Smash Ultimate is out, and I'm not entirely sure how to handle the situation with "deciding my main". I watch a little bit of InfernoOmni and two pieces of advice he gave in his videos is to adapt to patches and to pick a top tier. Because the game is in such an early state, how I understood it is; mainly practice tech skill and fundamentals right now, and pocket my characters, but don't go deep with any of them right now. However I've been told what I'm planning is doesn't take into account my actual joy and emotion when playing my characters, for my mentality means that if any character I currently play drops below high tier, I'll drop them completely. What my friend suggested instead is to just play the character I enjoy, for I will eventually improve enough that a tier list practically won't matter (this is somewhat debatable, and I'm not gonna get into it, because that's besides the point).

So I'm seeking help from you guys, the Smash Community. I am at a total loss at how I should approach getting good at this game, more specifically; picking my main. I'm finding:ultmarth: Marth and :ultlucina:Lucina both to be solid picks, mainly because I've played a ton of them in Sm4sh, with :ultlucina:Lucina being my better one atm. I've also drawn interest in: :ultwolf:Wolf, :ultpikachu: Pikachu, :ultchrom:Chrom, and I'm one foot out the door with :ultinkling:Inkling, however I'm not entirely sure yet. I know that Marth and Lucina are likely characters I consider maining right now, but I'd like to keep my choices interesting, especially since they're my Sm4sh mains, but I'm not sure if it's too early to really dive deep with a character and search up guides and videos on them. Because tbh, I'm a bit of a tier *****. I want to avoid someone who's mid tier or lower, but at the same time I want to play as someone I click with. Marth and Lucina in Sm4sh was a main that perfectly filled both of those standards. But now Smash Ultimate is in my posession, and a lot of characters have already caught my eye.

TL DR; In your opinion, should I go deep with a character right now? Or do what I was originally planning; just put heavy focus on fundamentals and tech skill while essentially pocketing all of my characters until a general idea for all of the characters' standings are nearly solidified.

Who I can possibly main this very second: :ultmarth::ultlucina:
Marthcina, or just Lucina: In Sm4sh, I started off just playing Lucina, mainly because she was overshadowed by Marth for obvious reasons, and at the time I really liked underrated characters. I decided to be a Marthcina main in Sm4sh because I've sensed a lot of turmoil within the Marth/Lucina player base, because apparently a ton of people just outright don't respect Lucina for reasons I just don't completely find valid. But I'm not here to discuss that, bottom line, I have a lot of experience with these 2, more-so with the waifu.
Who I'm heavily considering::ultwolf::ultpikachu:
Wolf: I actually just started actually trying Wolf today, on the day of making this thread. I tried him out online with a friend and against some randoms and I actually find him pretty fun. As Leffen says, he's "furry Marth with a gun". I've also began to see him more than a "good character with an abysmal recovery", but I'm not entirely sure yet. I also feel the same about Chrom which you'll read about below.
Pikachu: My favorite Pokémon (fight me)
and fits both the categories of "fun to play" and "a good character", both in Sm4sh and so far in this game as well. I have a lot of fun with this character, thanks to it's solid speed, combo game, and good recovery. However, so far I've seen the least amount of success with Pikachu, mainly my inability to secure kills most of the time, and my lack of combo knowledge. really enjoy this character. Because of the issue mentioned in the previous sentence, Pikachu is the character that really sparked my concern over the matter.
Who I'm considering: :ultchrom:
Chrom: Yes, this is me being a tier rider once again. But I also find Chrom to be pretty damn fun to play. Not on that but I've spent countless hours playing Fire Emblem Awakening, so Chrom has a special place in my heart (same as Pikachu but I'm pretty sure everyone has played or knows about Pokémon). However, the biggest turn-off for me is his horrible recovery. I'm aware that an expert at a certain character should be able to avoid most scenarios that will leave them gimpled, but ehh, this character is still a yellow flag for me.
Who I'm somewhat considering: :ultinkling:
Inkling: A good character (right now at least). Not sure about fun, but they certainly are colorful. Haven't seen a lot of success with them thus far and I'm probably not playing them to their greatest strengths, but there's just something about Inkling's that makes it appealing.

Last edited:

paperbug3

Smash Rookie
Need help picking a zoner to compliment my :ultfox: . I have been considering :ultdarksamus: , who i am the best with online (However, I am aware that D Samus is great for wifi), :ultrichter: , who i also have great success with, or :ultpokemontrainer: , of which i would mainly only play ivysaur, and have to put in a bit more work (which i'm fine with). Any suggestions would be great!
Cheers

Hey all, I'm really struggling to find a main for Ultimate, I think the character I've 'clicked' with the most is Squirtle but I don't like using both Ivysaur and Charizard enough to play :ultpokemontrainer:.

Is there another character that's close to Squirtle in gameplay?
Why can't you play Squirtle, I know some friends that main one Pokemon out of the three and get along just fine! I myself, am considering picking up just Ivysaur as a Main/Secondary, so I don't think you're at a disadvantage. From what I gather, Ivy and Squirtle can function on their own as around mid tiers, while Char is a little more situational but can still work. And after all, you can always switch to another pokemon if you really need to in a certain situation!

TL DR; you should be just fine playing only squirtle, since he fits you the best.

Top Bottom