• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Box Theorists don't WANT to be right.
singled out this one part because it made me think back to an antivaccer i talked to once, who also said she didnt want to be right yet was fanatical and kept spouting nonsense about frogs. Box Theory is not a theory to some people on here it is a religion and some of us (who either already have or dont want a religion) are on the outside looking in because it looks nihilistic, defeatist, anti-fun, and silly to us. Hence mockery. Its why youtube atheism was a thing its why people laugh at MatPat Fans. Got nothing to do with wanting to be right its a mockery of fanaticism.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The sad part is that we can't hold any of these people assuming that box theorists will cry if they're wrong accountable for their logic.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Do you have any reason for claiming it's "stupid"? It matches with what Vergeben's concretely said about the roster (and he's been extremely accurate so far), and it lines up with Sakurai's comment telling us to not expect too many new characters.

I'd love to see more characters added beyond Ken and Incineroar, but it seems weird to dismiss it entirely without any justification.
I don't think the devs let a box spoil the roster plus that would be extremely anticlimactic to end it like that, even more so than the last game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
lol the absolute state of denial and ignorance… I'm gone, see you when your precious box doesn't get proven right. -waves-
Alright dudes, red flags all around

Think it's safe to say you should probably just stop replying to this dude cause 90% of the substance of the last few points were just taunts

See ya Naz, say hi to Loz for me.

singled out this one part because it made me think back to an antivaccer i talked to once, who also said she didnt want to be right yet was fanatical and kept spouting nonsense about frogs. Box Theory is not a theory to some people on here it is a religion and some of us (who either already have or dont want a religion) are on the outside looking in because it looks nihilistic, defeatist, anti-fun, and silly to us. Hence mockery. Its why youtube atheism was a thing its why people laugh at MatPat Fans. Got nothing to do with wanting to be right its a mockery of fanaticism.
What the **** is wrong with you people lmao

Aiight I'm not responding to any of that anymore, it's obviously not gonna go away.

I don't think the devs let a box spoil the roster plus that would be extremely anticlimactic to end it like that, even more so than the last game.
They've spoiled things in stupider ways before tbf

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a lot to unpack here, huh
-Comparing box theory believers to antivaccers
-Comparing a theory to a religion
-Comparing a theory to fanaticism
-Seeing game speculation as nihilistic
-Justifying "Youtube Atheism"

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wouldn't be the first time; Lucario's addition to Smash was spoiled by a commercial, while Roy and Ryu's inclusion as Smash 4 DLC was given away by data in the game. Plus the entire rosters for both Brawl and Smash 4 were leaked before the games came out.

For other Nintendo games, box art spoiled that Cranky Kong would be playable in DKC Tropical Freeze, so it wouldn't even be the first time that box art spoiled the playable roster for a Nintendo game. (albeit on a smaller scale)

Noipoi

Howdy!
wat?

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Holy ****, the hostility about the box is incredible. I'm going to start a support group for people triggered by boxes after Ultimate comes out

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
Do you have any reason for claiming it's "stupid"? It matches with what Vergeben's concretely said about the roster (and he's been extremely accurate so far), and it lines up with Sakurai's comment telling us to not expect too many new characters.

I'd love to see more characters added beyond Ken and Incineroar, but it seems weird to dismiss it entirely without any justification.
It doesn't match with what Vergeben said, vergeben said he doesn't know the full roster right now. He doesn't know the fighter count. In fact, in the August direct, he only even knew 1 of the fighters revealed. So no, it doesn't "concretely" match what he has said. He has mentioned 3 fighters so far.
Additionally, I've read all of the box theory thread and still don't see concrete evidence. As I pointed out earlier, this is only the AMERICAN special edition boxart. We already know nintendo went as far as to make Xander Mobus read hundreds of names so that he didn't know the roster. Why would the American graphic designer for this box know the entire roster? I already used forensic analysis to prove this box is photoshopped, so it's literally an early, photoshopped placeholder. Why exactly would that even tell us anything concrete, and why would Nintendo tell a graphic designer the final roster before they even knew about Isabelle? Again, it's a stretch to assume the American graphic artist even knew the final roster that early. Nintendo has been meticulous.

The sad part is that we can't hold any of these people assuming that box theorists will cry if they're wrong accountable for their logic.
They won't be crying, but they sure should be apologetic for being condescending all of this time. Before blog theory was even widespread, or this became a debate in this thread, boxxers have been saying "don't come crying to us..." as if they're definitely right and assuming everybody would cry if they're wrong. Yeah, no need to be stuck up about your theory.

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't be the first time; Lucario's addition to Smash was spoiled by a commercial, while Roy and Ryu's inclusion as Smash 4 DLC was given away by data in the game. Plus the entire rosters for both Brawl and Smash 4 were leaked before the games came out.

For other Nintendo games, box art spoiled that Cranky Kong would be playable in DKC Tropical Freeze, so it wouldn't even be the first time that box art spoiled the playable roster for a Nintendo game. (albeit on a smaller scale)
Can I just say that ultimate is a different beast and sakurai is taking a different approach to this game and leak prevention. They also cleaned up their act in smash 4 before the cloud DLC launched. I think it would be ignorant to think that they aren't learning from their past mistakes and that's how things like King K Rool have snuck past our radar.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
It doesn't match with what Vergeben said, vergeben said he doesn't know the full roster right now. He doesn't know the fighter count. In fact, in the August direct, he only even knew 1 of the fighters revealed. So no, it doesn't "concretely" match what he has said. He has mentioned 3 fighters so far.
Additionally, I've read all of the box theory thread and still don't see concrete evidence. As I pointed out earlier, this is only the AMERICAN special edition boxart. We already know nintendo went as far as to make Xander Mobus read hundreds of names so that he didn't know the roster. Why would the American graphic designer for this box know the entire roster? I already used forensic analysis to prove this box is photoshopped, so it's literally an early, photoshopped placeholder. Why exactly would that even tell us anything concrete, and why would Nintendo tell a graphic designer the final roster before they even knew about Isabelle? Again, it's a stretch to assume the American graphic artist even knew the final roster that early. Nintendo has been meticulous.
I believe it's staindgrey staindgrey who mentioned this before, but he stated as someone with marketing experience, that yes, this late into the game the marketing team would absolutely know everyhting. The fact that packaging was designed to leave a slot for Ken shows advanced information in and of itself.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
October better have something or I swear to God this thread's gonna implode upon itself...
I'd put money on it at this point.
Just a hunch.

If we wait all of October without anything look at the bright side: It's November by the time you realize it :4pacman:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042

Well, there is the fact that Verg didn’t know of K. Rool and the Echoes. Ken and Incineroar are just characters he has been told. He never said they were the last, has he? Also, the SE rep. The box doesn’t have enough vacant spots for an SE rep or any rep he doesn’t know of. It’s purely coincidence and doesn’t prove anything.

Edit: Do people honestly believe that the final announcement for the “Ultimate” Smash game, that Sakurai has even stated to be pulling from the ballot for, to be a starter Pokémon? And Ken? I get we have had let down final reveals but this would take the cake for what this game is aiming to achieve.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Holy ****, I don't even know where to start here.

I didn't think I'd have to break out this image so soon.

k7EORb7.png

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's staindgrey staindgrey who mentioned this before, but he stated as someone with marketing experience, that yes, this late into the game the marketing team would absolutely know everyhting. The fact that packaging was designed to leave a slot for Ken shows advanced information in and of itself.
Sakurai is taking intense precautions to prevent leaks this time:
Here's a good picture of what I'm talking about:
Here's the tweet this is from if you want the source

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Remind me again what case there is for Sora beyond a deleted tweet?
There a lot of point for him to be "considered" at the very least as one of the "SE candidate" Between Geno, Him and a DQ Character as Nomura Is the one to manage his appearance even if he's Disney.
Alongside his Iconess.
The way that we could connect how secretive Square is by Vergeben's own words and Hashimoto's being famous for tongue slipping before completely Deleting the tweet whenever it was just supporting/deconfirming/confirming him it probably prove that all Square-Enix Employee are under NDA for that Smash candidate and can't comment at all about smash or even show support.

But y'know it might end up in us throwing straw at a Mickey Key-chain and Disney being Nazi's so I rather want to discuss the Box Theory at this point.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
There a lot of point for him to be "considered" at the very least as one of the "SE candidate" Between Geno, Him and a DQ Character as Nomura Is the one to manage his appearance even if he's Disney.
Alongside his Iconess.
The way that we could connect how secretive Square is by Vergeben's own words and Hashimoto's being famous for tongue slipping before completely Deleting the tweet whenever it was just supporting/deconfirming/confirming him it probably prove that all Square-Enix Employee are under NDA for that Smash candidate and can't comment at all about smash or even show support.

But y'know it might end up in us throwing straw at a Mickey Key-chain and Disney being Nazi's so I rather want to discuss the Box Theory at this point.
Ya know, people calling Walt Disney a nazi might actually piss me off more than Box Earthers. Literally the only guy at the time in hollywood who was giving work to blacks and jews, refused to go to the screening of song of the south because they barred the starring actor from it, for gods sake hand drew anti nazi propoganda cartoons including "Education for Death" which if anyone hasnt seen, should because it is CHILLINGLY anti nazi. The Man was the salt of the earth who just wanted to create happiness, hell he built Disneyland specifically in a way to make guests there happy and enjoy their time without the downsides of carnivals at the time which contained alot of drunken low brow shenanigans.

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
There is nothing saying there is a spot on the other side for another fighter. Could have been a way to make the box as symmetrical as possible with the fighters known at the time with 15 fighters for the final 18 slots needing to split into 8 and 7. Saying it is guaranteed an echo is just as bad as me pushing the symmetrical concept, we don’t know.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Y'all getting real worked up in here, lol. Just a friendly reminder that it's only a game and opinions can't be "wrong", only different.

b r e a t h e

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Sakurai is taking intense precautions to prevent leaks this time:
Here's a good picture of what I'm talking about:
Here's the tweet this is from if you want the source
Now this is the sort of stuff I like to see. While I don't fully endorse Box Theory, in its defense-
-Assist Trophy Theory is really pushing it. Ashley. Plus, the more I dwell on it, the more Skull Kid feels like he's either a boss or in Young Link's Final Smash. Evidence points towards an upgrade form AT, but to what we can't say. And as hard as I push Shadow, mans just might not be in.
-As far as Geno/SE Rep conflicting with the box, Verge didn't start reporting on him until pretty late, a reasonable conclusion to draw is that just like last time the new SE rep may be DLC, developed after the game went gold like Mewtwo. There were strange rumblings of Mewtwo in the pre-ESRB leak drop, and sure enough, he was being worked on before the game released.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
so I saw the Mojang dev's tweet.

Hoping for Minecraft in Smash, but could be literally anything.

I doubt it's a show, and they're already working on changing the default textures - that is known - while they let the community and people they've let become official creators on the Bedrock Edition marketplace release texture/resource packs while also releasing a few themselves so that seems unlikely for an announcement, "Biome Chooser" is where you vote for the next biome to be updated and that is known...

I can imagine it being the Minecraft movie - I recall that being planned for 2019 - so either that, Smash, an update that everyone expects so he may as well say "new update / update we can't talk about" instead of "thing we can't talk about," or just about anything else.

Also, I noticed this guy telling one of the users on that twitter thread "From what I've heard, you may be disappointed"; the user was another person who's hyped for Steve in Smash.

I checked out the page of the guy who told the user that, and he seems to be a leaker...or, at least, someone posing as a leaker. He seems to have close-to-no attention from anyone, acts as though he has an amiibo list from Nintendo themselves, and just seems to make safe predictions, i.e. "another Yoshi amiibo for the crafted Yoshi game." His account appears to have been created this month; his first tweet was yesterday, when he mentioned an amiibo list and asked Nintendo how's the Smash roster looking :I

anyway he's probably just another faker, and he has few posts, but may as well share the link I suppose:
https://twitter.com/GamingSieve/status/1044269035779772417

actually yeah the way he tweets just gives it away, doesn't it? idk

D

Deleted member

Ya know, people calling Walt Disney a nazi might actually piss me off more than Box Earthers. Literally the only guy at the time in hollywood who was giving work to blacks and jews, refused to go to the screening of song of the south because they barred the starring actor from it, for gods sake hand drew anti nazi propoganda cartoons including "Education for Death" which if anyone hasnt seen, should because it is CHILLINGLY anti nazi. The Man was the salt of the earth who just wanted to create happiness, hell he built Disneyland specifically in a way to make guests there happy and enjoy their time without the downsides of carnivals at the time which contained alot of drunken low brow shenanigans.
They never said anything about 'Walt Disney' they said 'Disney', as in the coroporation. And if you're as big a fan of Walt as you imply yourself to be, you would know damn well that he'd be ashamed of what has become of his company at this point.

But that's neither here nor there.

So, we've been having a Direct per month since August that has contained some Smash information and we have less than 3 months until release (with October officially beginning this coming Monday). Any leaks that mention anything about an October date? At this point, I'd honestly believe any Direct leaks that are actually not about Smash, but just have Smash info in it (like the previous Direct).

Enchess

Smash Lord
There is nothing saying there is a spot on the other side for another fighter. Could have been a way to make the box as symmetrical as possible with the fighters known at the time with 15 fighters for the final 18 slots needing to split into 8 and 7. Saying it is guaranteed an echo is just as bad as me pushing the symmetrical concept, we don’t know.
It makes more sense for it to be another fighter than for it to be for symmetry. For one, it's not symmetrical as is with the change. You also now have ugly blank space on two sides instead of one.

Also, why bother if they are only showing that one side and it's not what the actual box will look like anyway? Why not just fill all the blank space if it's only ever going to be used for this one direct? It would've looked better. It's just a weird decision to have blank space on a side that is not and will never be visible to make it look more symmetrical with the side that is. Why not make the side that's visible look as nice as possible if the entire mock up is gonna change anyway?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/20/nintendo-64-classic-release-date-holiday-2018/

Might be worth considering will get a Nintendo 64 era character in smash ultimate
(K rool doesn’t count)

Aaaaaaand it’s Loz 2.0. Next.
Reminder there are people who fake Vergeben thing if This is talking smash bros.

Besides I don’t even see his name on that it’s just a random person claiming he said that. Plus he’s been wrong before he saids it as soon as possible

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
They never said anything about 'Walt Disney' they said 'Disney', as in the coroporation. And if you're as big a fan of Walt as you imply yourself to be, you would know damn well that he'd be ashamed of what has become of his company at this point.
I got a kneejerk reaction when i see "Disney" and "Nazi" together in a sentence really because all over the damn internet people who dont know any better and are probably incapable of making their own opnions, aka Family Guy fans, keep insisiting that Walt was a nazi. Though i do agree the company is quite a monster now and Walt is probably doing cartwheels in his grave over what they do. But this is about smash now isnt it?

D

Deleted member

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/20/nintendo-64-classic-release-date-holiday-2018/

Might be worth considering will get a Nintendo 64 era character in smash ultimate
(K rool doesn’t count)

Reminder there are people who fake Vergeben thing if This is talking smash bros.

Besides I don’t even see his name on that. And he’s been wrong before he saids it as soon as possible
K. Rool was on the 64? I always considered him a SNES character lol. Probably because I never played N64 and didn't know there was a DK for it lol.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
anyway he's probably just another faker, and he has few posts, but may as well share the link I suppose:
https://twitter.com/GamingSieve/status/1044269035779772417

actually yeah the way he tweets just gives it away, doesn't it? idk
I'd ignore that person... They seem like a troll
And Lip Deconfirms it...
If Takamaru can't escape the Japanese only fate. neither can Lip
I'll give points for Crash though

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Howuninformedcanyoube.jpg

For them to create this particular pattern of grouping by nine, then to suddenly toss it out of the window with Corrin, makes 0 sense. The pattern of the box, coupled with Corrin's placement, RREQUIRES an open slot to exist on the other side somehwere between Palutena and Cloud. In your perfect world of them making a product that just looks good from the one side we see, they'd fill that side completely. There's specfic intent to the design of this product.

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
It makes more sense for it to be another fighter than for it to be for symmetry. For one, it's not symmetrical as is with the change. You also now have ugly blank space on two sides instead of one.

Also, why bother if they are only showing that one side and it's not what the actual box will look like anyway? Why not just fill all the blank space if it's only ever going to be used for this one direct? It would've looked better. It's just a weird decision to have blank space on a side that is not and will never be visible to make it look more symmetrical with the side that is. Why not make the side that's visible look as nice as possible if the entire mock up is gonna change anyway?
How do you know they never were going to show the other side? They might not know which side will be shown in the photo and mocked up the entire thing so one side would have one blank (the side we don’t see) and the other side has two. I am not saying the symmetry idea is right but it is just as right as assuming ken (or another echo) is stuck on the other side and it ends with 72 slots. No proof or evidence for either side to refute the other besides speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom