• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Steve and the Square Enix rep might actually be our first DLC characters and that's why all the leakers were so iffy on their inclusion...

I dunno though. I don't see Steve making it into base game but if Sakurai somehow, some way pulled out a time traveling miracle and got him in base game I would be astonished. Truly awestruck by the dude. It's one thing to make a game like this. It's a whole 'nother to got to Konami, Sega, Namco, Capcom, Square, AND ****in Microsoft to get them to participate in a single game and work everything out where all these companies are happy with their representation in the game.

My thing is, yeah The N and M are buddy buddy right now but they weren't in 2015. If Steve IS in, and right now I have no reason to doubt Vergeben or Senjougahara's credibility right now, then I think he'll be one our first DLC even Senjo said that might be the case. We'll see I guess.

I think Steve is in. It's weird to say. I think he'll be one of the first of DLC though.
Banjo as Base and Steve as DLC. All for the better!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My thing is, yeah The N and M are buddy buddy right now but they weren't in 2015. If Steve IS in, and right now I have no reason to doubt Vergeben or Senjougahara's credibility right now, then I think he'll be one our first DLC even Senjo said that might be the case. We'll see I guess.

I think Steve is in. It's weird to say. I think he'll be one of the first of DLC though.
Isn't Microsoft more lenient with Minecraft over their other games? They seem to pretty much let Mojang do whatever.

edit: I mean, even in 2015, I think people were scared that the Microsoft buyout meant that we'd never get the game on Wii U, but that ended up not being the case.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Banjo as Base and Steve as DLC. All for the better!
That's my preferred outcome but I dunno. I think we're getting Geno and Inceneroar as the last two, max. Maybe just Inceneroar. MAYBE one more character. Maybe. Hopefully, Isaac. Hopefully, Banjo. Or maybe, despite all odds against him, it is Steve.

kylexv

Smash Master
I think it's important to realize that the game hasn't quite gone gold yet. We've heard that Sakurai won't think about DLC until the base game is finished.

Vergeben has been hearing about Minecraft content since May and a Square Enix character since August (?). I could be wrong about what I'm thinking, but this stuff might be in the base game.

Still predicting only Ken and Incineroar though so I don't get my hopes up and be disappointed with a 76 character roster.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's my preferred outcome but I dunno. I think we're getting Geno and Inceneroar as the last two, max. Maybe just Inceneroar. MAYBE one more character. Maybe. Hopefully, Isaac. Hopefully, Banjo. Or maybe, despite all odds against him, it is Steve.
Well, it would be weird for Nintendo and Microsoft to be buddy buddy over Minecraft in 2015. But in all liklihood, Banjo & Kazooie may have done well enough on the ballot to initiate those discussions. And so perhaps their relationship has been going on behind the scenes, and we're starting to see that culmination. It fits time wise.

EDIT:
Even if Steve is DLC, I don't think Banjo is base... They Might both be DLC... You never know
Putting aside my feelings towards Steve, I'd be fine with that--I just can't see a third party company getting two unique characters as DLC. But ultimately what I would hope for is if Microsoft is on board, both series being represented in some ways.

Last edited:

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
Well, it would be weird for Nintendo and Microsoft to be buddy buddy over Minecraft in 2015. But in all liklihood, Banjo & Kazooie may have done well enough on the ballot to initiate those discussions. And so perhaps their relationship has been going on behind the scenes, and we're starting to see that culmination. It fits time wise.
minecraft wii u edition came out in december 2015 and it was probably planned for a while. phil spencer's (in)famous banjo tweet was april 2015. so the relationship could've easily been amicable enough to fit in steve or banjo during the planning phase

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think it's important to realize that the game hasn't quite gone gold yet. We've heard that Sakurai won't think about DLC until the base game is finished.

Vergeben has been hearing about Minecraft content since May and a Square Enix character since August (?). I could be wrong about what I'm thinking, but this stuff might be in the base game.
You are right. There's no way they would have planned a DLC character that early. And even more unlikely that Verg would hear about it.

Everything Verg has heard has got to be in the base game. I mean, anything is possible at this point. But just because anything is possible doesn't mean we should assume things that are go against what we know about Sakurai and Smash are actually happening.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Still predicting only Ken and Incineroar though so I don't get my hopes up and be disappointed with a 76 character roster.
Sakurai may have said this about Smash For but not about Smash Ultimate. If I had to guess, I'm sure the Nintendo big wigs are breathing down Sakurai's neck over DLC. That stuff made up a LOT of cash for Nintendo after the Wii U version didn't do so hot. I imagine he's had at least an idea of what he wants as the first DLC. If he doesn't, well, he needs to get on that ****, like, now.

I could definitely see two Microsoft characters getting in as DLC. I imagine Smash Ultimate's DLC lifespan will be for a long long time. I'd imagine that building off Ultimate for the foreseeable future as a games as a service type deal would fit into the mindset of all parties. Keeping the games longevity like Smash For does nothing but good for the game.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sakurai may have said this about Smash For but not about Smash Ultimate. If I had to guess, I'm sure the Nintendo big wigs are breathing down Sakurai's neck over DLC. That stuff made up a LOT of cash for Nintendo after the Wii U version didn't do so hot. I imagine he's had at least an idea of what he wants as the first DLC. If he doesn't, well, he needs to get on that ****, like, now.

I could definitely see two Microsoft characters getting in as DLC. I imagine Smash Ultimate's DLC lifespan will be for a long long time. I'd imagine that building off Ultimate for the foreseeable future as a games as a service type deal would fit into the mindset of all parties. Keeping the games longevity like Smash For does nothing but good for the game.
That seems like it goes against Sakurai's principles of making a game. He designs something to be complete, and that he won't withhold content for extra cash. All DLC is bonus content after the game is finished.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

It's telling though that Verge only heard about Minecraft *content* early on from his main Smash sources. Sounds to me like a Monster Hunter situation. And only recently have there been murmurs of a character, which is why I've turned around and thought Steve as DLC is a possibility (putting my feelings toward the character aside). My guess is DLC wasn't planned that early on, but more recently sounds more feasible.

minecraft wii u edition came out in december 2015 and it was probably planned for a while. phil spencer's (in)famous banjo tweet was april 2015. so the relationship could've easily been amicable enough to fit in steve or banjo during the planning phase
True, but my thoughts are technically when Sakurai was making the roster, Minecraft had yet to be on a Nintendo console ( a courtesy Sakurai prefers). And I can't find when he actually played Minecraft and began writing about his enjoyment of it. So to me the timing makes more sense if talks began concerning Banjo in 2015 (having been a N64 exclusive when the games were with Nintendo/Rare), and then once Minecraft was on the Wii U/Switch considering what they could do, and I'm taking Verge's more certain claims surrounding Minecraft *content* seriously. It's the only series he mentioned where he wasn't sure about the nature of the content. A stage and assist are content that wouldn't need to begin in 2015, and it lines up with Steve possibly being DLC if this more sketchy leaker has good information.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice

I can't imagine it getting any less DLC support then Splatoon 2 got which was over a year worth or so IIRC. I'm expected at least that much support minimum if not more honestly. I don't know what that will mean for the number of DLC characters but I'm gonna hazard to guess at least 6 characters.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lol. Waluigi's ONLY way of getting in now in my opinion is if they just removed his assist trophy admist the outrage and have been working on him as a Mewtwo like situation. Otherwise I'm sure it would be way too late in the production for him to be included base game.

And they're not going to delay the game or game plan for him like they did Brawl for Sonic.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
well if Steve is DLC I won't complain.

I want Steve, and I'll gladly take DLC as an option. Banjo-Kazooie will keep me satisfied for base-game but still give me Skull Kid and Geno

Koopaul

Smash Champion
True, but my thoughts are technically when Sakurai was making the roster, Minecraft had yet to be on a Nintendo console ( a courtesy Sakurai prefers). And I can't find when he actually played Minecraft and began writing about his enjoyment of it. So to me the timing makes more sense if talks began concerning Banjo in 2015 (having been a N64 exclusive when the games were with Nintendo/Rare), and then once Minecraft was on the Wii U/Switch considering what they could do, and I'm taking Verge's more certain claims surrounding Minecraft *content* seriously. It's the only series he mentioned where he wasn't sure about the nature of the content. A stage and assist are content that wouldn't need to begin in 2015, and it lines up with Steve possibly being DLC if this more sketchy leaker has good information.
Minecraft came out on the Wii U in 2009.

EDIT: I was wrong. It was Dec. 2015.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That seems like it goes against Sakurai's principles of making a game. He designs something to be complete, and that he won't withhold content for extra cash. All DLC is bonus content after the game is finished.
It's not as if he is actually holding anything back from launch though. It's more of a Mewtwo deal. At E3 2014 someone asked Sakurai about Mewtwo and Sakurai replied with "we're thinking about it" does it mean that he was holding Mewtwo back to specifically be DLC? Absolutely not. It means he had the idea to make that character DLC from, at the very latest, E3 2014.

His philosophy is to focus on making the game as complete as possible while following his laid out plan FOR the full game. Doesn't mean he just doesn't think about DLC within that time frame. It just means he isn't focused on it. It's perfectly logical for him to make plans for DLC.

If the game was being developed since early 2016, and we had rumors of the game floating around ever since then, but only this year, post-e3, are hearing about Steve and generalized Minecraft Content, then it's incredibly possible that it is being considered for DLC. Like Mewtwo.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Minecraft came out on the Wii U in 2009.
Minecraft on the Wii U in 2009
Wii U in 2009.

Lolwut

Do you mean Minecraft originally released in 2009?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I got the dates mixed up with another version. My bad.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Minecraft on the Wii U in 2009
Wii U in 2009.

Lolwut
hahaha To be fair, that took me a second to realize. And this is coming from someone who got a Wii U day 1. I guess it would have been more interesting getting it on day -1000.

Shroob

Sup?
Can it just be October already?

There's like, 3 days left, and nothing much to do.

At least next week will put us at the final 60 day countdown.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Minecraft didn’t come out anywhere until 2011.
Its official release maybe.

It had a million alpha and beta releases beforehand.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Minecraft didn’t come out anywhere until 2011.
Technically it went public in 2009, they just went "Full Release" in 2011 because they were ready to get rid of the Beta title.

And we're still getting endless updates. I started playing it in 2011, though, when it was Beta 1.5.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Waluigi will never be in Smash... Ultimate.

I foresee no possible future where the Mario series gets a newcomer, and the one at the top of the list ISN'T Waluigi. The rest of the entire core cast is in (except for Toad, Rest In Neutral Special), and he's been around for three games as an Assist, with his popularity coming to a fever pitch. He's perhaps the one character that can be agreed to have the singular largest outcry to make it in Smash at this point.

If in the distant future, we get a Smash 6, and Waluigi ISN'T there, I'll go to Nintendo headquarters and petition outside the building dressed as Waluigi, picket sign and everything. Waluigi is the new Chrom and I'm sure of it.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The official release of Minecraft was so weird, with all the sudden changes and new things, like the dragon and the "ending". It didn't really feel any more official than the previous releases, but I guess that's better than delaying your official release forever like some games.....

Also, Enderdragon as a story mode boss?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's not as if he is actually holding anything back from launch though. It's more of a Mewtwo deal. At E3 2014 someone asked Sakurai about Mewtwo and Sakurai replied with "we're thinking about it" does it mean that he was holding Mewtwo back to specifically be DLC? Absolutely not. It means he had the idea to make that character DLC from, at the very latest, E3 2014.

His philosophy is to focus on making the game as complete as possible while following his laid out plan FOR the full game. Doesn't mean he just doesn't think about DLC within that time frame. It just means he isn't focused on it. It's perfectly logical for him to make plans for DLC.

If the game was being developed since early 2016, and we had rumors of the game floating around ever since then, but only this year, post-e3, are hearing about Steve and generalized Minecraft Content, then it's incredibly possible that it is being considered for DLC. Like Mewtwo.
And Mewtwo was free. So if there is DLC that is being made before the game is released it should be free. I think that's because he doesn't want to start making content for the game before the game is released and then charge people for it.

Someone was suggesting that Sakurai has planned paid DLC. Which would go against his philosophy.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-on-intolerable-dlc-1699908411

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And Mewtwo was free. So if there is DLC that is being made before the game is released it should be free. I think that's because he doesn't want to start making content for the game before the game is released and then charge people for it.

Someone was suggesting that Sakurai has planned paid DLC. Which would go against his philosophy.
Mewtwo was only free to those with both versions of the game.

Shroob

Sup?

Mewtwo was 'free'..... if you bought both versions of the game, so was he really 'free'?

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Okay 9 is lowkey 2nd best Final Fantasy so I wouldn't HATE that...
I'm curious then, which one do you consider the best? I always chose 9 as my favorite of all time, followed by 10 and then 7. I still haven't played 6 though, which a lot of people love.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

It was free for people who bought Smash 3DS, Wii U, and had Club Nintendo. He was paid DLC otherwise. Yes, I do think he has PAID DLC planned. It only seems logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom