• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaCeptions

Smash Rookie
Waluigi will never be in Smash... Ultimate.

I foresee no possible future where the Mario series gets a newcomer, and the one at the top of the list ISN'T Waluigi. The rest of the entire core cast is in (except for Toad, Rest In Neutral Special), and he's been around for three games as an Assist, with his popularity coming to a fever pitch. He's perhaps the one character that can be agreed to have the singular largest outcry to make it in Smash at this point.

If in the distant future, we get a Smash 6, and Waluigi ISN'T there, I'll go to Nintendo headquarters and petition outside the building dressed as Waluigi, picket sign and everything. Waluigi is the new Chrom and I'm sure of it.
I would generally be quite shocked if Waluigi wasn't included in the next Smash game. With the rise of his popularity over the given months, he seems to be a shoe-in for the next Mario character (Besides Toad, of course). But as well, this can be applied to any other characters from other series.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
And Mewtwo was free. So if there is DLC that is being made before the game is released it should be free. I think that's because he doesn't want to start making content for the game before the game is released and then charge people for it.

Someone was suggesting that Sakurai has planned paid DLC. Which would go against his philosophy.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-on-intolerable-dlc-1699908411
Umm... Mewtwo was not free dlc and he definitely was planned paid dlc to boot

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
And Mewtwo was free. So if there is DLC that is being made before the game is released it should be free. I think that's because he doesn't want to start making content for the game before the game is released and then charge people for it.

Someone was suggesting that Sakurai has planned paid DLC. Which would go against his philosophy.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-on-intolerable-dlc-1699908411
I could actually see the first DLC character maybe being free... for Nintendo Online Subscribers. Not sure how much muscle Sakurai has if that's something Nintendo wants to plan on doing or what his thoughts would be, given the grey area of it. EDIT: Also, I was just reminded that it was only free for people with both copies of the game, which really peeved me when that happened. So, I can actually see this happening.

No if anything Waluigi would be more comparable to Ridley.
They're both purple? :p

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm curious then, which one do you consider the best? I always chose 9 as my favorite of all time, followed by 10 and then 7. I still haven't played 6 though, which a lot of people love.
Well then you best play 6, because that's my number 1, lol.

It goes 6, 9, 7 for my top 3, in that order.

Shroob

Sup?
Let's get one thing straight.

If you don't expect the next/final Smash Direct to go as follow:

"That's all for the roster of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate."

*Sakurai pauses*

"Oh, well, not quite, actually. Please, take a look at this."

*X characters gets revealed ala Mewtwo*

"X has joined the battle....but they're not ready quite yet. However, to anyone with a Nintendo Online Subscription, they'll get them for free. They'll be available to people without one at a later date."

"The team and I will continue to support Super Smash Brothers Ultimate through downloadable content like this after the game has launched. We hope you enjoy the new characters and stages that we have planned."

*Direct ends*

Then you're a fool. The Online Subscription is an easy grab for Smash fans, because you're going to HAVE to get it if you want to play online. They're going to sweeten the deal by giving you the first DLC character free.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I would hope planned DLC is more, Sakurai can't fit anyone else in, in time and leaves them until after the game is finished.

Not, Sakurai and his team have made characters but are holding off on releasing them to make more money.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice

*Sakurai pauses*

"X has joined the battle....but they're not ready quite yet. However, to anyone with a Nintendo Online Subscription, they'll get them for free. They'll be available to people without one at a later date."

"The team and I will continue to support Super Smash Brothers Ultimate through downloadable content like this after the game has launched. We hope you enjoy the new characters and stages that we have planned."

*Direct ends*

Then you're a fool. The Online Subscription is an easy grab for Smash fans, because you're going to HAVE to get it if you want to play online. They're going to sweeten the deal by giving you the first DLC character free.
This is exactly what I am expecting.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

*Sakurai pauses*

*Direct ends*

X had better be in Smash, and not just as a Mega Man Echo either!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

*Sakurai pauses*

*Direct ends*

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. The only outlying fact that goes against this speculation is that Smash 3DS was out at the time of the Mewtwo announcement. If it doesn't happen in the last Smash Direct I could definitely see a DLC character announcement at The Game Awards on December 6th. The day before release. Easily. That show is a big deal for Nintendo, maybe more so than E3 this year. We'll see.

D

Deleted member

Step 1: Don't use your free trial of the online subscription until the DLC fighter comes out
Step 2: Use it when they come out and download them for free
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I would generally be quite shocked if Waluigi wasn't included in the next Smash game. With the rise of his popularity over the given months, he seems to be a shoe-in for the next Mario character (Besides Toad, of course). But as well, this can be applied to any other characters from other series.
Waluigi's a bit of a special case because I'm pretty sure a large portion of his support is ironic. His entire identity revolves around getting shut out of the main Mario cast and being relegated to spinoffs. It's what makes him who he is, and the moment he becomes a real playable character or gets a game of his own, the joke stops being funny. In a way it serves Waluigi and Nintendo better for him to be eternally denied while the jokey fan "outcry" and publicity continues to build.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Step 1: Don't use your free trial of the online subscription until the DLC fighter comes out
Uh if its anything like PS Plus then youll lose the free content when the trial expires.

Chrono.

You'll probably lose the content once the trial expires so people exactly dont try to get free stuff like that.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Honestly, I could see new modes being DLC also. Not something full scale ala whatever Spirits is, just extra mini things on the level of Smashdown and Squad Strike that's free. I also expect us to get free stages added at times just like Smash 4 with stages like Mario Maker, Pirate Ship, and Duck Hunt for 3DS.

Last edited:

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Guys we've been thinking about this all wrong

What if Minecraft Steve is a boss?

I'll take my money now Sakurai thanks

EDIT: On waluigi, I feel like the best way to handle him is to make him a full on representative of the Mario Sports games, with his moves centered around the different ones. If he gets in ever thats how I see him being handled it

Last edited:

PandaCeptions

Smash Rookie
Waluigi's a bit of a special case because I'm pretty sure a large portion of his support is ironic. His entire identity revolves around getting shut out of the main Mario cast and being relegated to spinoffs. It's what makes him who he is, and the moment he becomes a real playable character or gets a game of his own, the joke stops being funny. In a way it serves Waluigi and Nintendo better for him to be eternally denied while the jokey fan "outcry" and publicity continues to build.
Personally for me, while I was younger I always was drawn to the character (most likely because of the color purple). If Waluigi ever got into Smash, he would definitely be the butt-end of a joke. I agree with in the sense of that's his character, as it truly is. Waluigi revolves around self-loathing and other similar attitudes. But, I don't agree 100% on the fact of adding him to Smash would seemingly ruin the appeal of the character. On the other hand, I do agree with Nintendo constantly denying him of "chances" is what makes him. It's a toss up case regarding him in my eyes.

Koopaul

Smash Champion

*Sakurai pauses*

*Direct ends*

Oh yeah. I think it's likely that a DLC anouncement would be made in the last Direct. Don't get me wrong you guys. I think DLC was always on Sakurai's mind. But I just wonder if Sakurai made official plans for DLC in the middle of development. It seems like something that he would officially decide near the completion of the game. I mean. Yes, it's likely that he was thinking about who to make for DLC in the middle of development. But to actually give the go ahead and say "This is who we are going to work on" just seems like a thing he would do late in development. Which is why I doubt a leaker would hear about DLC. It should take some time for things to get leaked out. For someone to hear about the DLC character as soon as they started officially planning for one doesn't make sense to me.

And yes. I'm assuming that the earliest that they would officially start to prepare development for DLC would have been around now.

Remember. Sakurai may have heard a fan back in 2014 want Mewtwo. But he didn't actually start work on him until the game was done. Meaning any DLC for Ultimate hasn't even been made yet or just started. How would a leaker know about that? So soon?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uh if its anything like PS Plus then youll lose the free content when the trial expires.
You'll probably lose the content once the trial expires so people exactly dont try to get free stuff like that.
That would mean the DLC fighter:
-Can only be played when connected to the internet
-Isn't actually free for those with an online subscription and they'd need to constantly repay for the service to continue having the character.

I have never heard of DLC being handled this way and I'd hope Nintendo is not that dumb.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Indeed, though it would presumably build up to something. Some of his support is ironic, though some of it is symbolic: Mario, Luigi, Wario.... something's missing. And I don't agree with the general consensus that spin-offs don't count--I think WarioWare could be considered a spin-off of the Mario series after all, despite also being its own series. Sure, different than the Party/Kart/Sports games, but I don't consider it being a hard and fast rule. I support Waluigi symbolically, and like many characters, would hope he gets in one day for his genuine fans, of which there are plenty.

EDIT:
-Isn't actually free for those with an online subscription and they'd need to constantly repay for the service to continue having the character.

I have never heard of DLC being handled this way and I'd hope Nintendo is not that dumb.
The way I would think it would work is if you could purchase it for free, but only with a full membership (maybe even only a 12 month subscription), but even if your membership runs out, you still get to keep them.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Personally for me, while I was younger I always was drawn to the character (most likely because of the color purple). If Waluigi ever got into Smash, he would definitely be the butt-end of a joke. I agree with in the sense of that's his character, as it truly is. Waluigi revolves around self-loathing and other similar attitudes. But, I don't agree 100% on the fact of adding him to Smash would seemingly ruin the appeal of the character. On the other hand, I do agree with Nintendo constantly denying him of "chances" is what makes him. It's a toss up case regarding him in my eyes.
Yeah that's what I'm driving at. I think he could be a great character and he definitely has the popularity and history behind him at this point. I just think it's MORE in keeping with Waluigi's identity and role within Nintendo if he is shut out of the roster and getting his own games forever. People THINK they want Waluigi, but the self-loathing and bitterness are really at the core of his character imo, so the moment he gets recognized he stops being interesting as far as I'm concerned. It's way funnier to watch as more and more niche Mario characters keep joining the Smash roster while Waluigi sits on the sidelines.

Last edited:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice

I'm pretty sure they could easily put in a check to see if you paid for a subscription or used the free trial when downloading the character. Or even just make it where the free trial users can't get the DLC.

Last edited:

Chrono.

""add-ons" - which includes DLC - "do not expire" when a PlayStation Plus subscription lapses. "

Yeah as it turns out I brainfarted and was wrong.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So, how much you wanna bet that Steve can use monster eggs to spawn Creepers or use the Ender Pearl to teleport?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is part of the reason I don't see there being any form of "free" DLC this time around.

Though, to humor this, there is an easy work around. Just don't make the content free for free trail members. Easy.

PandaCeptions

Smash Rookie
Yeah that's what I'm driving at. I think he could be a great character and he definitely has the popularity and history behind him at this point. I just think it's MORE in keeping with Waluigi's identity and role within Nintendo if he is shut out of the roster and getting his own games forever. People THINK they want Waluigi, but the self-loathing and bitterness are really at the core of his character imo, so the moment he gets recognized he stops being interesting as far as I'm concerned. It's way funnier to watch as more and more niche Mario characters keep joining the Smash roster while Waluigi sits on the sidelines.
I have a bias towards Waluigi, as I generally like the character. I would generally love to see him in Smash, but the ideal of his character is the whole self-loathing. I agree with you 100% on keeping the attitude of his character alive, but I truly wouldn't be bother much if he was introduced in a major way in any form. Even with him being in the spotlight, you can still rely on other characters overshadowing him throughout. As for Smash, it's depending on how you look at it. You have characters like Isabelle, who are described as a pacifistic, now dukeing it out with Ganondorf. That's probably not the best example, but hopefully you see the idea. Anyways, I generally wouldn't be too bothered but I clearly see what you're getting at.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Alot of talk about waluigi's chances at least in the next smash. Honestly what Mario Characters are there left ASIDE from waluigi at this point? Goomba? Bowsette?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Alot of talk about waluigi's chances at least in the next smash. Honestly what Mario Characters are there left ASIDE from waluigi at this point? Goomba? Bowsette?
Captain Toad? Captain Toadette? Paper Mario? King Boo?

And if you want to count the Yoshi series the same then Kamek?

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I don't care what incarnation he is, I would like to see Toad. He definitely seems to be a glaring omission, considering every other non-enemy recurring character from the platformers had shown up on the roster. I also would like to play as Waluigi though, but it would feel wrong to get him before Toad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom