• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate general series discussion: Part one: Super Mario (with polls)

Opening discussion: Do you think Super Mario is over represented?

• Yes, and it should have less fighters

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Yes, but the fighter count is fine.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Yes, and the fighter count is fine but I would rearrange some of the fighters.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • No, Super Mario has enough fighters

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • No, Super Mario deserves more newcomers

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No, Super Mario deserves more fighters, but parts of the current roster should be rearranged.

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't think you're really reading what I'm saying. Rosalina makes lots of appearances in both the spin-offs and sometimes in the main series. I never said she vanished, where are you getting that?

Also that sentence is just completely nonsensical, taken completely at face value. A character can disappear from the main games yet still appear in spin-offs.

I don't really know what you're trying to say. Spin-off appearances =/= main series roles that give a character purpose. There's a substantial difference between Bowser Jr's appearance in New Super Mario Bros versus his appearance in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.
Sorry. What I meant to say was: Rosalina has stuck around for the spinoffs, so I don't understand why, despite her vanishing from the main series, she's not an important character.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Thanks for clarifying. Well, because none of her spin-off appearances really have any substance behind them. I use that word substance a lot because I think it's rather important. Sure, it's fun to play as her in Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, but she's not integral to the game or anything. Compare to Bowser Jr in New Super Mario Bros who serves as the secondary antagonist and a recurring boss fight, or Captain Toad in 3D World who has his own levels that only he can play on. If Rosalina appeared in the Moon Kingdom as an NPC that helped Mario defeat Bowser or some other villain, I think that would do wonders for her character because then she would be important in a context other than just playing as her.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Thanks for clarifying. Well, because none of her spin-off appearances really have any substance behind them. I use that word substance a lot because I think it's rather important. Sure, it's fun to play as her in Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, but she's not integral to the game or anything. Compare to Bowser Jr in New Super Mario Bros who serves as the secondary antagonist and a recurring boss fight, or Captain Toad in 3D World who has his own levels that only he can play on. If Rosalina appeared in the Moon Kingdom as an NPC that helped Mario defeat Bowser or some other villain, I think that would do wonders for her character because then she would be important in a context other than just playing as her.
Honestly, I don't think 3D World would be the same without Rosalina. She's the most logical choice for the secret character IMO. Her appearance was able to pay tribute to the previous Galaxy games, and other characters like Daisy or Wario would be weird because the Land duology is so old.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I had a few friends who played the entire story of 3D World without ever knowing that Rosalina was in the game. So that's debatable.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
You're right, but in that's case, we need to get rid of Doctor Mario and Daisy, so ... I think popularity and moveset potential is a better thing than actual importance (but it's important I think, I mean Sakuraï probably won't put a character like Birdo in Smash, but it would be fun if he do).

And K.Rool too, since he's not important in the recent games and his last appearance is from a 2008 game.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I had a few friends who played the entire story of 3D World without ever knowing that Rosalina was in the game. So that's debatable.
Speaking of which, I really wish she had the real Fire Rosalina skin complete with the ponytail. Then at least it would have looked like they out some extra thought into her.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, my definition of "important" is fulfilling just ONE of these criteria:
  • Features heavily in marketing.
  • Is a playable character for a significant portion of the game.
  • Affects the plot in a major way.
It sounds like all three have to be fulfilled for you to consider them major.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Well...yeah, I suppose that sounds about right. Although depending on the game I would interchange 1 and 3--for a more story-driven game there might be an important character they choose not to market, and for a story-lite game there could be a character who features heavily commercially but doesn't necessarily affect the plot.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
You're right, but in that's case, we need to get rid of Doctor Mario and Daisy, so ... I think popularity and moveset potential is a better thing than actual importance (but it's important I think, I mean Sakuraï probably won't put a character like Birdo in Smash, but it would be fun if he do).

And K.Rool too, since he's not important in the recent games and his last appearance is from a 2008 game.
Well, now that Sakuraï put :ultpiranha:, I think we can have the entire cast of Mario Tennis Aces (except Waluigi, he will never be in). But now we know that importance is ****.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant wouldn't have been my first choice for a joke Mario "character" or even a Mario enemy but it looks like it has a unique playstyle.

I'll be hoping for Captain Toad next game.

Top Bottom