• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Which ones? The team Ninja ones or the retro ones? Cos i do know the Nes one and i just see a Ninja with shurikens and ninjatos.
Name a character in Smash that can climb walls and izuna drop. Now add in a smattering of Ninja Gaiden Black era weaponry and dragon powers. Calling Ryu Hayabusa a generic ninja is like calling Mario a generic platformer character. Ninja Gaiden codified a lot of video game ninja nonsense.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I mained Redfield in UMvC3 and MVC:I and I'd gladly main him in Smash

I just think some other protagonists should get a chance

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't get it, you're all asking for a character that represents the horror genre, but Luigi's already in the game.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I really don't get how this rumored DLC is supposed to be Japandering:

Joker is from a JRPG but at the same time, it's one of the most well-performing ones in the west in a while.

Erdrick is definitely centered for the Japanese audience, but Dragon Quest still sells million+ copies of releases outside of the Japan and westerners recognize its legacy.

Doomguy is Murica' incarnate, it's hard to get more western than him imo.

Steve is iconic worldwide, originates from Sweden, and is now owned by the western giant of the video game industry: Microsoft. Also, Japan may enjoy Minecraft greatly but so does literally everyone else.

Finally, Ryu Hayubasa is from Ninja Gaiden, which is aimed towards a western audience.

This DLC hits a good balance of east and west, looking at the big picture.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Do you think Isaac would have a british accent? I'm asking for a friend who's working on a project.
Most likely no. There isn’t anything that indicates that Isaac or his family have ties to British Decent.

And Isaac’s AT voice clips also don’t sound biristh.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
The only problem for RE characters is that unlike the likes of Bayonetta, you can't really interpret firearms from RE as fantasy simply because they're not magical to begin with. Which might be troubling for their inclusion.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only problem for RE characters is that unlike the likes of Bayonetta, you can't really interpret firearms from RE as fantasy simply because they're not magical to begin with. Which might be troubling for their inclusion.
Then it's simple.

We get Wesker:

D

Deleted member

Pyramid Head without question. Harry, James or Heather all would be tied for my second picks though.
I don’t normally argue this, but I think Pyramid Head is the type of character who just doesn’t work in smash. I dint like it how in homecoming they pretty much just made Pyramid Head generic monster guy, when in Silent Hill 2 he’s supposed to be, well, spoilers but you can probabky see where I’m going. I think pyramid head’s more than just a monster essentially and wouldn’t work without context for his being there. That’s just me though.

Last edited by a moderator:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

Joker is from a JRPG but at the same time, it's one of the most well-performing ones in the west in a while.

Erdrick is definitely centered for the Japanese audience, but Dragon Quest still sells million+ copies of releases outside of the Japan and westerners recognize its legacy.

Steve is iconic worldwide, originates from Sweden, and is now owned by the western giant of the video game industry: Microsoft. Also, Japan may enjoy Minecraft greatly but so does literally everyone else.

Finally, Ryu Hayubasa is from Ninja Gaiden, which is aimed towards a western audience.

I think this nice balance is what keeps me from dismissing the rumor entirely. It's just good business sense and Nintendo would be covering their bases. DragonQuest would be a guarunteed seller in Japan and Doom Marine would sell in the US and Europe quite handily. Steve is star power galore and Ryu Hayabusa targets the same retro audience that Simon and Ricther courted. Joker is a recent character with a not so small cult following, too.

If there were ever a Nintendo method of selecting third parties, you could do far worse than this.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I guess we're all going to ignore Chris because no one likes him but he's the most realistic.
Eh, besides being able to punch an enormous rock, I think he's the most boring of them.

In general I think Leon with either a Raccoon City stage with zombies, or something related to Umbrella with Chris is a good idea.

D

Deleted member

If this "leak" actually is real, I'm all for it. I mean ****, Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa? Count me in!

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
The fact that you keep referring to demons as exploding aliens makes me think you haven't touched Doom. It can be made less gory and still visibly be Doom. Just look at Chex Quest.
Huh. Sorry. Don't know why i said ali....... no, i know. Damn you Doom movie, damn you. Hey, mistakes happens.
And i'm really not sure you can make it less gory in a Smash way and still be Doom.

Anybody who says Doomguy has no personality has clearly never played Doom.
I won’t argue his personality is super duper fleshed out, but it exists. There’s more to him than just “rip and tear”.
Compared to Bayo, yeah, he has none.

Personality shouldn't have to stop a character from getting in, though. Kind of hard to say he has none anyway.
Depends who and which way. Gameplay, personnality, everything depends when adding character. Heck, Personnality is the main factor about Echo fighters. I really don't see what Doomguy could add IN SMASH. In other games, he probably could be cool, heck, i'd love him in Mortal Kombat. But not in smash, no. Smash doesn't need to be a potpourri of video games character without thinking of the game as a whole. And robbing a character of half or more of what make him "him" isn't worth.

On another hand, just took a peek at Ninja Gaiden II on NES and i must say the clone thing could be a nice addition to the moves of smash. Hard to master but really fun.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I don’t normally argue this, but I think Pyramid Head is the type of character who just doesn’t work in smash. I dint like it how in homecoming they pretty much just made Pyramid Head generic monster guy, when in Silent Hill 2 he’s supposed to be, well, spoilers but you can probabky see where I’m going. I think pyramid head’s more than just a monster essentially and wouldn’t work without context for his being there. That’s just me though.
Yeah, I definitely see your perspective on that. Monsters from Silent Hill can be tough to make into fighters when they are tied to a person or certain events regarding said person but that’s what makes me love the hidden symbolism in the franchise above all.
Compared to Bayo, yeah, he has none.
Neither does:ultvillager: or:ultmiifighters:

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I'm kind of glad that more fanmade movesets nowadays are more based on referencing their original sources instead of just making stuff up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm kind of glad that more fanmade movesets nowadays are more based on referencing their original sources instead of just making stuff up.
I honestly have always preferred to do that. But it's still important the moveset flows well. Being 100% accurate is only good if it makes the movest work properly. Sometimes throwing a few things in for good moveset flow is a necessity.

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
Name a character in Smash that can climb walls and izuna drop. Now add in a smattering of Ninja Gaiden Black era weaponry and dragon powers. Calling Ryu Hayabusa a generic ninja is like calling Mario a generic platformer character. Ninja Gaiden codified a lot of video game ninja nonsense.
If i had to name a character it's a non-playable. Knuckles can. .... yeah sorry.
Okay, he sure can wall climb in Ninja gaiden 1-2-3 on NES, but i really don't think he Izuma drop. As I asked, which ones, the retro ones or the team ninja? Cos if Ryu Hayabusa there is, i think he will be more the NES version of himself than the recent ones.

But i can understand that, since team NINJA's depiction of Ryu is the most recent one, it could also be this one represented in smash. Then, okay, he got a whole lot of moves and possibilities as a character. Now, it just depends at what nintendo intend to do, please the old school fans or the recent fans?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Freddy takes a bite out of the competition!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just imagining a Raccoon City stage in which zombies will run out and grab you, and then the Tyrant comes out and wrecks everyone.

Good times.

Or just have a nuke go off that wipes out the city lmao.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I'm just imagining a Raccoon City stage in which zombies will run out and grab you, and then the Tyrant comes out and wrecks everyone.

Good times.

Or just have a nuke go off that wipes out the city lmao.
Or Nemesis busts out of a wall and blasts everyone with his rocket launcher.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
If i had to name a character it's a non-playable. Knuckles can. .... yeah sorry.
Okay, he sure can wall climb in Ninja gaiden 1-2-3 on NES, but i really don't think he Izuma drop. As I asked, which ones, the retro ones or the team ninja? Cos if Ryu Hayabusa there is, i think he will be more the NES version of himself than the recent ones.

But i can understand that, since team NINJA's depiction of Ryu is the most recent one, it could also be this one represented in smash. Then, okay, he got a whole lot of moves and possibilities as a character. Now, it just depends at what nintendo intend to do, please the old school fans or the recent fans?
*Insert why not both picture

There's nothing stopping them from appealing to both sides of the fanbase by giving Ryu a composite moveset

If they can give Simon Richter's moves than they sure as heck can give old Ryu some moves from new Ryu

Iridium

Smash Hero
I thought we already have a horror rep...

Or does Digby need to be an echo for that to happen?
No joke, this guy is underrated for his contributions.

Even had a relevant 3D masterpiece...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom