• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
I really don't get how this rumored DLC is supposed to be Japandering:

Joker is from a JRPG but at the same time, it's one of the most well-performing ones in the west in a while.

Erdrick is definitely centered for the Japanese audience, but Dragon Quest still sells million+ copies of releases outside of the Japan and westerners recognize its legacy.

Doomguy is Murica' incarnate, it's hard to get more western than him imo.

Steve is iconic worldwide, originates from Sweden, and is now owned by the western giant of the video game industry: Microsoft. Also, Japan may enjoy Minecraft greatly but so does literally everyone else.

Finally, Ryu Hayubasa is from Ninja Gaiden, which is aimed towards a western audience.

This DLC hits a good balance of east and west, looking at the big picture.
yeah but it doesn't have the character i want so all the dlc is objectively bad because i say so.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Holy **** I'm looking back through the November direct posts and goddamn does it feel good seeing some ****ty people get incredibly upset about video games they raised their own expectations and people going GUYS WE DON'T KNOW HOW MAKING MARKETING POSTERS WORKS THIS MIGHT NOT BE IT. I'm typing this along as I look through the pages and am HIGHLY anticipated Plant reactions. AAAAAND YUP THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT! Almost laughed as much as I did during the actual reveal. And of course the biggest asshole I know in there cries that the game would fail now. My favourite one has got to be "Hey if Piranha Plant is a joke character does this mean Pichu can be top tier?". Shoutout to DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon for saying he'll bandwagon Sora as "Joker isn't very likely"

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
No joke, this guy is underrated for his contributions.

Even had a relevant 3D masterpiece...
Not only would he glide, have really good run speed, but will also be very light (In reference with his one hit health from his games), and having annoying playstyle that has a special that acts like a slingshot (Similar to his Atom shoot from Bubsy 3d). Virgil from the cartoon pilot would be his echo fighter.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Holy **** I'm looking back through the November direct posts and goddamn does it feel good seeing some ****ty people get incredibly upset about video games they raised their own expectations and people going GUYS WE DON'T KNOW HOW MAKING MARKETING POSTERS WORKS THIS MIGHT NOT BE IT. I'm typing this along as I look through the pages and am HIGHLY anticipated Plant reactions. AAAAAND YUP THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT! Almost laughed as much as I did during the actual reveal. And of course the biggest ******* I know in there cries that the game would fail now. My favourite one has got to be "Hey if Piranha Plant is a joke character does this mean Pichu can be top tier?". Shoutout to DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon for saying he'll bandwagon Sora as "Joker isn't very likely"
How the turns have tabled.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I mean, they did...just not for Smash.

The fact that Sky Skipper is getting an Arcade Archive release is actually incredibly important. Up until last year that game was one of the biggest pieces of lost Nintendo history.

Hell, it's too late for this go-around, but next Smash? I'm supporting the hell out of Sky Skipper for the retro/historical character. :p
Me too, I've gotten interested in the game after FryGuy 64 drew his excellent picture of a reimagined Sky Skipper and downloaded the game on MAME and fell in love the IP ever since. To find out that Nintendo had finally released the game on the Arcade Archive is nothing short of amazing and I hope he at least gets put into Smash 6 as well.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Holy **** I'm looking back through the November direct posts and goddamn does it feel good seeing some ****ty people get incredibly upset about video games they raised their own expectations and people going GUYS WE DON'T KNOW HOW MAKING MARKETING POSTERS WORKS THIS MIGHT NOT BE IT. I'm typing this along as I look through the pages and am HIGHLY anticipated Plant reactions. AAAAAND YUP THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT! Almost laughed as much as I did during the actual reveal. And of course the biggest ******* I know in there cries that the game would fail now. My favourite one has got to be "Hey if Piranha Plant is a joke character does this mean Pichu can be top tier?". Shoutout to DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon for saying he'll bandwagon Sora as "Joker isn't very likely"
That was the first post I highlighted when he got in lol.

I went all in on one character and got the other. Not mad at all lol. Even if we don't get Sora I'm still 6/7 in getting my character wants (technically 7/7).

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I just found out that Isabelle doesn't have a whistle when doing her Up-Smash.
Welp, 0/10 doggo with no detail is bad doggo.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Not only would he glide, have really good run speed, but will also be very light (In reference with his one hit health from his games), and having annoying playstyle that has a special that acts like a slingshot (Similar to his Atom shoot from Bubsy 3d). Virgil from the cartoon pilot would be his echo fighter.
Also if he gets hit offstage, he'll be locked in a falling animation like in Bubsy 3D :yoshi:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Also if he gets hit offstage, he'll be locked in a falling animation like in Bubsy 3D :yoshi:
And if you lose a match to him, you're forced to fully complete Bubsy 3D in order to play Smash again. Said progress is tracked like in a dystopia.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I went all in on one character and got the other. Not mad at all lol. Even if we don't get Sora I'm still 6/7 in getting my character wants (technically 7/7).
Who were your big character wants?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sakurai’s reaction to Nintendo’s DLC list:

Joker: “Well, he certainly is interesting and the series is popular. He’s mostly Sony but sure! We can make it happen!”

Erdrick: “I actually had a DQ character in mind but Erdrick fits in nicely! I just hope Square isn’t such a ***** about DQ as they were for FF.”

Ryu Hayabusa: “I do love characters from the NES days! And I am already getting ideas about how to incorporate Ninja Gaiden content! 38 music tracks here we go!”

Steve?: “Hey, I was only joking about it! Are they serious! Oh my god! I love Minecraft! Yes! Absolutely yes! Intern-kun, set up a meeting with the head guy at Minecraft!”

Intern-kun: “That’s Microsoft...”

Sakurai: “Err yes. wait...don’t they make computers?”

Doomguy: “Duumu? What’s that? Duumugai? Oh, it’s from the West. Hmmm...I kinda wanted Katalina but I suppose I can check it out...”

:checks out Doom:

Sakurai: “Dear God! No! Absolutely no!”

Intern-kun: “Nintendo said you have to.”

:Sakurai calls Nintendo:

Sakurai: “What the flippin ****! This guy! We made do with Snake and Bayonetta but Doomguy? Why not someone cute like Katalina, Rayman, or Banjo?
Beseida? What’s that? The company who made Skyrim? Why not add that character? I would like to play as Skyrim! Why Doom? Oh, it’s coming out on Switch? But still...he has guns! DOESNT MATTER? Inklings have ink guns! That doesn’t count! Oh give me a break!”

:hangs up phone:

Sakurai: “Intern-kun, contact Bethesda. We are including Doomguy.”

Intern-kin:

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
In my opinion, Unga characters are my favorite type of characters in fighting games, they make you feel good and makes Roy and Chrom one of the best.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Frankly I have no words.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sakurai’s reaction to Nintendo’s DLC list:

Joker: “Well, he certainly is interesting and the series is popular. He’s mostly Sony but sure! We can make it happen!”

Erdrick: “I actually had a DQ character in mind but Erdrick fits in nicely! I just hope Square isn’t such a ***** about DQ as they were for FF.”

Ryu Hayabusa: “I do love characters from the NES days! And I am already getting ideas about how to incorporate Ninja Gaiden content! 38 music tracks here we go!”

Steve?: “Hey, I was only joking about it! Are they serious! Oh my god! I love Minecraft! Yes! Absolutely yes! Intern-kun, set up a meeting with the head guy at Minecraft!”

Intern-kun: “That’s Microsoft...”

Sakurai: “Err yes. wait...don’t they make computers?”

Doomguy: “Duumu? What’s that? Duumugai? Oh, it’s from the West. Hmmm...I kinda wanted Katalina but I suppose I can check it out...”

:checks out Doom:

Sakurai: “Dear God! No! Absolutely no!”

Intern-kun: “Nintendo said you have to.”

:Sakurai calls Nintendo:

Sakurai: “What the flippin ****! This guy! We made do with Snake and Bayonetta but Doomguy? Why not someone cute like Katalina, Rayman, or Banjo?
Beseida? What’s that? The company who made Skyrim? Why not add that character? I would like to play as Skyrim! Why Doom? Oh, it’s coming out on Switch? But still...he has guns! DOESNT MATTER? Inklings have ink guns! That doesn’t count! Oh give me a break!”

:hangs up phone:

Sakurai: “Intern-kun, contact Bethesda. We are including Doomguy.”

Intern-kin:
This is bull**** Sakurai clearly would have spent an hour going insane and make love to his wife and Persona 5 copy out of pure ecstasy of having the chance to include Joker

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Who were your big character wants?
For Sm4sh, it was:
  1. Mega Man
  2. Shulk
  3. Palutena
  4. Chrom
  5. Mewtwo
I got 4/5 of those, but I technically went 5/5 because Robin was as good as, if not better, and represented Fire Emblem Awakening, which is what I wanted.

When "Everyone Is Here!" was announced, I was perfectly content because all my favorite characters returned. Chrom was announced, making me 5/5 for my original requests, or 6/5.
  • I decided to support Sora because Kingdom Hearts is one of, if not my favorite video game series of all times
  • I also supported Joker because Persona 5 is a great game and represents something similarly special to me as it was a sendoff of my High School days and opened the page on the next chapter of my life.
Joker was announced at The Game Awards, making me 6/7, or 7/7 if you count Robin and Chrom as different characters fulfilling the same need.

I'm pretty lucky, but at the same time I feel like I put my chips in more realistic hats.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This is bull**** Sakurai clearly would have spent an hour going insane and make love to his wife and Persona 5 copy out of pure ecstasy of having the chance to include Joker
All the while dressed as Joker.

But honestly I just wanted to get to Doomguy.

And seriously, I’m not giving this leak any credence. But entertaining the idea.

Graizen

Smash Champion
GAME:

Make a Moveset for Each "Leaked" Future DLC Character.

1 - Erdrick
2 - Doomguy
3 - Steve
4 - Ryu Hayabusa

D

Deleted member

GAME:

1 - Erdrick
2 - Doomguy
3 - Steve
4 - Ryu Hayabusa
1- swings a sword
2- shoots a gun
3- swings a pickaxe
4- NINJA

sakurai hire me

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
GAME:

1 - Erdrick
2 - Doomguy
3 - Steve
4 - Ryu Hayabusa
Erdrick uses their sword and shield for normals and magic **** for specials
Doomguy has incredibly brutal looking attacks with chainsaws and his limbs and incredibly powerful weapons for specials. They cost ammo though but Doomguy can attack with his normals to gain ammo points which give him more shots to turn the Smash cast into swiss cheese
Steve uses a pickaxe as a default weapon and similarly to Doomguy he can attack people for 'materials'. Down B is a crafting table, which allows Steve to make a variety of items depending on how many material points he has earned. With this he can create blocks to alter the terrain and upgrade his pickaxe
Hayabusa is very fast and has Mii Brawler's new command grab but he spins

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’m getting to that number of songs in my DLC pack ideas, I’ll post them here when I get home.

GAME:

1 - Erdrick
2 - Doomguy
3 - Steve
4 - Ryu Hayabusa
I’ll do one for Ryu soon

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
For Sm4sh, it was:
  1. Mega Man
  2. Shulk
  3. Palutena
  4. Chrom
  5. Mewtwo
I got 4/5 of those, but I technically went 5/5 because Robin was as good as, if not better, and represented Fire Emblem Awakening, which is what I wanted.

When "Everyone Is Here!" was announced, I was perfectly content because all my favorite characters returned. Chrom was announced, making me 5/5 for my original requests, or 6/5.
  • I decided to support Sora because Kingdom Hearts is one of, if not my favorite video game series of all times
  • I also supported Joker because Persona 5 is a great game and represents something similarly special to me as it was a sendoff of my High School days and opened the page on the next chapter of my life.
Joker was announced at The Game Awards, making me 6/7, or 7/7 if you count Robin and Chrom as different characters fulfilling the same need.

I'm pretty lucky, but at the same time I feel like I put my chips in more realistic hats.
You made out better than I did. Smash 4 was a blood bath for anything I remotely liked.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It's funny how things work out, really. I had long been in the Acceptance phase for Chrom's chances, thinking he'd likely never get in. Then on the day of the E3 Direct, this happened in the Nintenzone Social:

So. . .something interesting people noticed going through every character.

Opo. . .dont read this
Seriously Opo you will regret it
Most final smashes are shown. Like. . .all of them except for a few, but most of them are transformations so they might just not be finished.

But stragnely, Robin's isnt shown. Chrom Echo fighter still possible? :p
:061:
ZEB DON'T YOU DARE BE GIVING ME HOPE RIGHT NOW.
I SPECIFICALLY SAID NOT TO READ THAT
:062:
Aaaaand the rest was history.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why you gotta do Steve like that though
Honestly, I think his more smooth coloring works better for Smash. He looks much closer to this on the actual game covers. The far darker aesthetics don't fit well outside of Brawl. Maybe it could be slightly less cartoony, but I feel it fits well enough.

D

Deleted member

GAME:

1 - Erdrick
2 - Doomguy
3 - Steve
4 - Ryu Hayabusa
Erdrick uses his iconic spells for his specials, with zap as his neutral and ironize as his down special that functions like kirby’s down but with limited mobility at the cost of speed and invulnerability. Final Smash is his finisher from Battle Road Victory. Uses sword for normals
Doomguy uses his more well known weapons for his specials, such as the super shotgun as a neutral b. For his normals he mainly punches and kicks, sometimes using his simpler weapons, with his grabs being pg versions of his glory kills. Final smash is the BFG
Steve uses his sword for his normals. For his down special he brings out a crafting table allowing him to switch between weapons that have different properties, such as the pick axe and shovel for his normals. The crafting table also works like PAC-MAN’s fire hydrant. His side special places a block that agin cycles between different blocks, such as TNT. Neutral special is throwing a splash potion of harming. Final smash is The End.
Ryu does stuff similar to DOA, taking slightly more inspiration from the modern games. He can cling to walls and his specials use his shuriken, ninpo, with an Izuna Drop command grab. Uses the dragon blade for normals. Final smash is art of the true inferno.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey wasn't that Joker artwork fanmade from like 2 weeks ago? Did they make these others or are these official images taken from the franchises?
Joker, Erdrick, and Steve are fanart, made by different people. Ryu and Doomguy are official art.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Ryu's Final Smash would the Ultimate Technique from Ninja Gaiden Black/2/Sigma/etc. Why? It's simply a ground based version of Ike's/Cloud's Final Smash, but a lot faster.

Also he'd be able to Flying Swallow the heck out of Pichu

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just found out that Isabelle doesn't have a whistle when doing her Up-Smash.
Welp, 0/10 doggo with no detail is bad doggo.
Maybe she’s using her hand
Frankly I have no words.
Pit may be unable to read, but his player was just being foolish after having a fire streak going on right there
Oh btw, here's a funny thing my boi can do:

impressive, but will likely not be used much...or at all
Keep Joker and give up everyone else
View attachment 185746
I think I have my best 9 decided after a month.

Maybe they’ll change, idk.
Needs more Waifus...this is my best 9 (in a simpler setup)
:ultpit::ultinkling::ultdarkpit:
:ultsonic::ultdoc::ultduckhunt:
:ultrosalina::ulttoonlink::ultlink: (obviously :ultpiranha: will join)

:ultmario: feels weird to me, so he’s just somewhere in the top 12

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Maybe she’s using her hand

Pit may be unable to read, but his player was just being foolish after having a fire streak going on right there

impressive, but will likely not be used much...or at all

Keep Joker and give up everyone else

Needs more Waifus...this is my best 9 (in a simpler setup)
:ultpit::ultinkling::ultdarkpit:
:ultsonic::ultdoc::ultduckhunt:
:ultrosalina::ulttoonlink::ultlink: (obviously :ultpiranha: will join)

:ultmario: feels weird to me, so he’s just somewhere in the top 12
If the dlc is legit then Erdrick and Doomguy will be in there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom