• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Then give me industry and game changing characters: Your Lara Crofts, Your Jill Valentines or Chris Redfields, heck even Steve is actually a game and genre defining mascot. I'm not sure Joker is.
Well, I'd like to think that Joker is a representative of modern JRPGs, to contrast with Cloud representing classic JRPGs.
Okay I know this is really stretching it but I just want to be able to accept him okay

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I dont know why, but I find it hilarious.

Quick question...or a Poll, rather...for those of you who had played Persona 5 (and since we know little beyond Joker's Inclusion).
Would you rather his Final Smash be:
A) The typical Hold-up, All Out Attack (showing off the outlines of all the protagonists)
B) A FS where Joker uses Satanael
I like the Hold-up one better. Of course, his victory scene would be him posing while blood shoots out of the enemy in the background. Except in Smash there wouldn't be any blood, but you know what I mean

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then give me industry and game changing characters: Your Lara Crofts, Your Jill Valentines or Chris Redfields, heck even Steve is actually a game and genre defining mascot. I'm not sure Joker is.

I meant a new company within Smash, although since they're under Sega's banner I guess not.
Where did this rule come from that third-parties need to be genre defining or whatever? Can't they simply be from really ****ing good games that are popular?

D

Deleted member

How would you react if the last DLC character we get is from an upcoming project that Sakurai is working on.
I mean, Corrin was the last DLC character last time and the game hadn't come out yet. It wouldn't be completely out of left field.

D

Deleted member

The last 10 years of Smash for me were Wario and Luigi.

Now, it's gonna be Inkling and Joker. I suck at Smash, but I'm actually pretty determined to improve in Ultimate. I've only played an hour and would like to play more before I share my full thoughts, but so far...

This is probably my new favorite game of all time, and this will be the first Smash I try to seriously improve in. I'm so excited to see where this game and myself playing it goes. Here's to the Ultimate Smash!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I meant a new company within Smash, although since they're under Sega's banner I guess not.
Persona 5 was a pretty big GOTY contender last year...
That's definitely nothing to scoff at..

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
i've decided to make a new prediction fighter pass, this will probably be the last one i'll ever do.

1. Joker (Persona 5)
2. Slime (Dragon Quest)
3. Daemon X Machina Rep
4. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club)
5. Crash Bandicoot

and regarding why Ayumi is in there...

I have a feeling that Ayumi might still be in the running, I have a theory that if a DLC character that already has a spirit, then they will be given a new fighter spirit with different artwork to that of the original spirit. For example the Ayumi fighter spirit will be called Ayumi Tachibana (Fighter) and use this piece of artwork.

Ayumi Tachibana is SO cute and I would love to see her be playable one day. I don't think it's very likely, but who knows at this point? lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Joker is a gaming icons.
Persona IS a big video games series.
Persona 5 was a success in Japan AND in the West.
SMT IS a gaming monument.
And Atlus is EXTREMELY worthy to get a "rep" from their most famous series.

Persona always sells millions of copies.

The series had their 20th anniversary.

As old as Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think this is the jump the shark character for me. Joker just left me feeling hollow.

He's not a big huge mascot AND has basically little to do with Nintendo. This just feels like Nintendo getting a new company's favour.

Say what you will about their shaky Nintendo connections; Cloud and Snake were at least massive successful icons of video games. Joker feels token.
"Oh, we released a spinoff game with him in last week in Japan on the 3DS"
Well okay then.

Goku and Sans don't seem so stupid anymore all of a sudden.

But hey, DLC is optional at least.
Persona 5 was a breakout hit that managed to still contend with the likes of Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and NieR Automata for Game of the Year in multiple award categories, is from a successful series (especially after Persona 4 yet managing to exceed that game in both sales and popularity), and is still a massively popular game.

Being on a Nintendo console is NOT important to Sakurai or Nintendo, they just want to include characters from popular series and great game companies.

For the record though, Atlus (and parent company Sega) have been close to Nintendo for years with the Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei series and Etrian Odyssey series, they even had one of the only Virtual Boy games with Jack Bros.
I dont know why, but I find it hilarious.

Quick question...or a Poll, rather...for those of you who had played Persona 5 (and since we know little beyond Joker's Inclusion).
Would you rather his Final Smash be:
A) The typical Hold-up, All Out Attack (showing off the outlines of all the protagonists)
B) A FS where Joker uses Satanael
All Out Attack is cooler..and I feel like Nintendo will try to stray from using the word Satan in their Family Friendly game.
Joker is a gaming icons.
Persona IS a big video games series.
Persona 5 was a success in Japan AND in the West.
SMT IS a gaming monument.
And Atlus is EXTREMELY worthy to get a "rep" from their most famous series.

Persona always sells millions of copies.

The series had their 20th anniversary.

As old as Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.
Don't forget that it stayed relevant and beloved through the ages, unlike some of the ones he listed since Lara needed a reboot to be relevant, Resident Evil has had a kinda rocky road, and Minecraft seems like it's popularity is starting to wane (doesn't seem like a sequel will happen to be honest..may become a relic of the 2010s in 10-20 years)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would totally argue P5 is genre defining. IMO it's up there with the likes of classic Final Fantasy games and games like Chrono Trigger for the best RPG ever made. Joker is an icon for JRPGs right now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Where did this rule come from that third-parties need to be genre defining or whatever? Can't they simply be from really ****ing good games that are popular?
Because gate-keeping reasons.

DLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

(im not that hyped for him, but we got an ANIME rep! kinda)
Only anime rep we have is Lucario.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Come on, characters don't get chosen because balancing numbers.
C'mon, we all know the main goal of DLC is to distribute characters equally between third-parties. We'll get two more SE characters and two more Namco characters so they can be tied with Konami, Sega, and Capcom.

It's only fair.

DLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

(im not that hyped for him, but we got an ANIME rep! kinda)
The FE reps, Cloud, Shulk, Joker, and every other character on the roster who people term as an"anime character" are just video game characters who look like they came from an anime.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
My copy is going to arrive today. Just have to wait. Super excited.

Gonna hold my breath on Joker. Might be one of the first third parties I don't automatically main. I just need to see his play-style first.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
How would you react if the last DLC character we get is from an upcoming project that Sakurai is working on.
That would be awesome! He knows how to make some great original characters and now I really hope this happens

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Is clearing Classic on 9.9 the hardest challenge? Because I've already hit 9.8 twice just running through the mode tryna unlock characters...

It's no beat boss battles on intense or anything...
WoL bosses on Hard look kinda ridiculous. One on the streamers on the first page, forsen, has been fighting Giga Bowser for a couple hours now I think and barely doing a dent on his HP. @_@

osby

Smash Obsessed
All Out Attack is cooler..and I feel like Nintendo will try to stray from using the word Satan in their Family Friendly game.
While I agree, Rodin's trophy mentions Hell's Gates, so who knows.

The FE reps, Cloud, Shulk, Joker, and every other character on the roster who people term as an"anime character" are just video game characters who look like they came from an anime.
But everyone knows every pretty boy are from an anime, Japan has no other media form!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I've been playing King K. Rool for a couple of hours. Down throw (puts you in a hole) to down smash is a guaranteed kill after around 70-80%..,.

D

Deleted member

Gosh, if I get Steve on top of Joker then this really will be the perfect Smash for me.

I was gonna wait on the season pass and just buy each character separately, but Joker has set the stage. If he's the first, then who on earth is coming after him? Anyone, and I mean anyone is on the table now, and I'm not even gonna bother arguing likelihood anymore.

Does Nintendo want them? Then they're in. That's the only "rule" we should be concerned with. :p

D

Deleted member

So we’re all gonna rock Joler avatars now? I’m sorry, but not even joker can can change my heart to not be loyal to Sigma.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
My bet was that if a character was shown off for DLC I wouldn't pick up my game at midnight and I'd wait until Friday afternoon to pick up my preorder of Smash. And it's still at GameStop waiting on me to come get it. lol.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Piranha Plant.

There's a Petey Piranha Spirit in the game (I should know, I have it, it's a Mario Strikers one)

Petey Piranha is Piranha Plant's Final Smash, possibly even part of the reason why they made it playable in the first place.

I really don't think Spirits disconfirm characters.
I agree with you on Spirits don't disconfirm characters but I told myself to post this here because i feel the urge

Well there are spirits for all fighters in base game that're called Fighter Spirits and they don't do anything so spirits like Paper Mario and Bandana Dee i think gets their chances hurt

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Gosh, if I get Steve on top of Joker then this really will be the perfect Smash for me.

I was gonna wait on the season pass and just buy each character separately, but Joker has set the stage. If he's the first, then who on earth is coming after him? Anyone, and I mean anyone is on the table now, and I'm not even gonna bother arguing likelihood anymore.

Does Nintendo want them? Then they're in. That's the only "rule" we should be concerned with. :p
I already got Isabelle (rip Ashley), and if female Erdrick and Edelgard make it in, it'll be complete for me. And although I want Amy Rose or Cream, that's not happening. I still believe that Amy Rose's spirit de-confirms her for DLC

KMDP

Smash Legend
I agree with you on Spirits don't disconfirm characters but I told myself to post this here because i feel the urge

Well there are spirits for all fighters in base game that're called Fighter Spirits and they don't do anything so spirits like Paper Mario and Bandana Dee i think gets their chances hurt
Apparently, you can view Fighter Spirits.... somewhere, the game tells you but I forgot.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I still can't believe Joker is in smash he was on off my most wanted newcomers im a Corrin Joker main for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom